Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Yifes

Real Name Yifes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Yifes
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 21, 2002, 00:39
Total Comments 880 (Graduate)
User ID 15316

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On Guild Wars 2 Worlds
27. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Worlds Apr 25, 2012, 14:34 Yifes

Tumbler wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 14:14:
Seems like there is smoke billowing up from behind the wall...otherwise why not let people play it risk free?

You can get a beta key for free; that's what the beta signups are for. Prepurchasing just guarantees you a spot. Why the hell should they let everyone play for free when they can get enough people for their testing purposes who are willing to pay? It makes no sense for them to launch a large open public beta when game is still far from finished and the release date isn't even announced yet.

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2012, 14:46.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Guild Wars 2 Worlds
12. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Worlds Apr 25, 2012, 11:25 Yifes

Alamar wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 11:22:
It's just too bad it's not what they claimed early on, but I understand the desire for balance... at least for balancing casual players; dedicated players in other games transfer across servers all the time for various reasons, including pvp imbalance (to get away from or to generate)...

-Alamar

They always claimed that WvW server transfers would have some sort of associated penalty.

News Comments > QuakeCon Pre-Registration Tomorrow
10. Re: QuakeCon Pre-Registration Tomorrow Apr 25, 2012, 02:54 Yifes

Jerykk wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 02:49:
Supporting your customers and all that goodwill shit, they only do that if it makes financial sense to do so.

You make that sound like a bad thing. If being good to customers is the best way to profit, both customers and businesses should be happy. Companies like CD Projekt and Valve have proven that you don't have to screw over your customers (or potential customers) in order to be profitable.

Its not a bad thing, and it sure isn't as simple as "being good" to your customers. You can't make everyone happy, and it's hard to know what consumers want. When business is good and you can financially afford it, you don't have to make hard decisions or compromises that potentially screw over part of your consumer base in order to keep your company afloat.

Just look at the fate of so many great classic PC developers.

News Comments > QuakeCon Pre-Registration Tomorrow
8. Re: QuakeCon Pre-Registration Tomorrow Apr 25, 2012, 02:42 Yifes

Cutter wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 02:20:
SirKnight wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 23:26:
Yeah, how dare game companies try to stay in business. Evil bastards.

lol!

Not everyone and every company is a slave to the dollar. Why support companies that won't support you? Maybe some of you are happy to take their leavings, but the rest of us aren't and they won't get our money.

Quit deluding yourself. The one and ONLY goal for a company is to make money. Supporting your customers and all that goodwill shit, they only do that if it makes financial sense to do so.

News Comments > Diablo III Open Beta Weekend
207. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 20:26 Yifes

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 19:39:
Yifes wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 19:19:
Undocumented Alien wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 10:31:
Yep, totally agree. My buds and I will be purchasing GW2 today and play the Beta this weekend and start heading down that path. By the time we are done with that, Torchlight 2 should be ready.

None of us are really very impressed by D3.

With GW2, you get what, 1 beta weekend a month from now until release, which could be the end of the year for all we know. Not a good plan.

So do you Shill for Activision as well or just EA? Middlefinger

I see your comprehension skills are as bad as your manners. If you're such a good detective, why don't you find out what I think about SWTOR before you go ahead and embarrass yourself. Go somewhere else little troll.

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 2012, 20:33.

202. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 19:19 Yifes

Undocumented Alien wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 10:31:
Yep, totally agree. My buds and I will be purchasing GW2 today and play the Beta this weekend and start heading down that path. By the time we are done with that, Torchlight 2 should be ready.

None of us are really very impressed by D3.

With GW2, you get what, 1 beta weekend a month from now until release, which could be the end of the year for all we know. Not a good plan.

134. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 13:06 Yifes

nin wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 09:59:
Win7 64 here too.
Oh, and a cooldown on potions, another annoyance...

Potion cooldowns are a great change. It makes the combat more tactical than just potion spamming your way through a boss. Anything that moves the series away from the mindless button mashing of the first two games is a good thing.

Looking forward to trying the co-op, really the only thing that made the Diablo series worth playing.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access
50. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 19:28 Yifes

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 18:59:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 18:25:
Ouch. Looking at the CE....this is going to be a very heavy micro transaction game. 3-4 of the items you get in the CE are 1x use. WTF!?

If it is going to be like that, why not make the game 29.99 like the others? Or free?
IIRC, those 1-time use items have permanent effects though. Of course that doesn't mean that this still won't be micro-trans heavy.

The items from the in game store are mostly cosmetic or QoL enhancements, unlike what you get from the pre-order. There's really nothing in store that would give you an advantage in the competitive aspects of the game. And, with one of the flattest leveling curves of any MMORPG, it's not like you need to buy XP boosts to level at a reasonable pace.

News Comments > Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview
12. Re: Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview Apr 9, 2012, 02:35 Yifes

Drezden wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 20:02:
On top of that his girlfriend is a fucking genius as well. Joss Whedon needs to start a Kickstarter to get Firefly back and on the air. *sigh*

Except a TV show like that costs a couple million dollars per episode. Plus, how do you expect Nathan Fillion to leave Castle?

News Comments > ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut
151. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 20:33 Yifes

PropheT wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 19:41:
If you're willing to completely ignore the plot holes and to not think at all about what actually happened as a result of things that they'd established throughout the story of the game... I guess the ending could be fine (look, explosions! colors!). If you think about it at all, though?

Yes there are plot holes, but they're not as big as you think. The Normandy is not intact, but the portions that contain the crew are.

Making peace with the Quarians does not guarantee that no synthetic will EVER want to annihilate all organic life. As you can see throughout the series, the Geth have intelligence and change their motives just like any other species. The whole point of the Reapers is that they prune only the most advanced civilizations, in order to preserve organic life as a whole.

Finally, whether the fleet around earth was destroyed or not (I don't remember), the point is moot, because the important thing is that there are a significant amount of survivors remaining on their homeworld, which you saved.

150. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 20:22 Yifes

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 19:39:
The problem is we are not shown these things. It is bad writing to expect your audience to find their answers in fanfiction.

I don't need the next century for every species spelled out, I need the obvious, blatant questions that are completely ignored to be answered, and I need an absence of plot holes. I would be perfectly happy with an ending styled after New Vegas. Was it just still pictures in a literal slide machine with one line of narration each about the places I had been and the people I had met? Yes. Was it cheap and simple in terms of production values? Yes. Was it immeasurably more satisfying, providing me with closure for everything I had done, than ME3's ending?

So I was wrong about a post-scarcity society, but do we know that the garden worlds were razed beyond recovery? If you're sure of what the answers to your blantant obvious questions are, why do you need the writers to specify every scenario for you? I always thought the fallout endings were cheap and jarring in their execution, and tacking on a similar slideshow to the end of ME3 would not be the ideal solution. Correct me if I'm wrong but, did we ever find out what happened to TNO's companions after the game ended? That was by the guys behind Obsidian, and IMO, a better ending than NV or ME3.

Also, I disagree with the fact that open ended endings is a sign of bad writing. A lot of literature and movies have endings that are open to interpretation. Blade Runner, Inception, just off of the top of my head (Not that ME3 is in the same league).

149. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 20:09 Yifes

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 19:39:
The paths are only locked in almost completely separate from prior decisions because one bioware writer pulled rank and decided to make it that way. It would not be difficult to implement your choices into a final decision. Had I saved the Geth they could have presented me with a way to reprogram the crucible using their knowledge. Had I saved the Quarians they could present a different option. Had I saved both they could pool their knowledge and give a third option now that they're working together. Had enough of my crew survived maybe they could have provided additional fire support to distract Harbinger during that run. Maybe if I maxed out my fleet it gave Joker a window to fly the Normandy in and pick me up (it looked like we were on the outside of the citadel protected by an air shield, could be wrong).

It took the combined forces of the galaxy just to MAKE the crucible, based on design by the protheans based on designs passed down through countless cycles. They even had no idea what the thing did, and were just blindly following a blueprint. Its incredibly unlikely that they can ever come close to understanding it enough to reprogram it. Besides, who know what the crucible actually does? Maybe its just a communication device that lets you interact with the being behind the catalyst, and a conduit for its powers.

The final run on the Harbinger, that was just for cinematic flavor. It doesn't affect the ending, just provides drama as Shepard is injured.

Finally, letting joker and the Normandy pick you up, that has nothing to do with the choices you made throughout the game. You propose that it depends on you fleet rating, which is exactly the same criteria used for the rest of the endings.

141. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 19:24 Yifes

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 19:08:
But it SHOULD have had an effect on the ending. Shepard knows that he'll be stranding his friends on earth if the relays are destroyed. That was one of my first thoughts when the brat gave me the options. If the endings were set up so that red destruction took out all Reaper based tech, and blue control preserved Reaper tech, a LOT more people would stop to consider the "blue" route. Shepard sacrifices his humanity to preserve the shred of galactic unity that remains and allow his surviving friends to go home. Just that one simple change would have made a world of difference. As it is now it seems the red route is by far the most taken.

Of course, the choices you make with your companions will affect which option you personally want to pick, but it doesn't affect which options you are allowed to pick. Lets say you saved the Geth, does that mean that no AI is ever going to cause the eventual destruction of all organic life? And what if you cured the genophage. Does that mean now you can save the mass relays and only destroy the reapers? That's what I mean when I say choices you make with your companions won't necessarily have an effect on the ending. The choices you make with them are personal, and affect one group of people or species. The choice you make with the Catalyst is on a galactic scale, with millions of years of momentum behind it. The available paths are set long before Shepard and co made their impact on the galaxy.

137. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 19:11 Yifes

Bhruic wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 19:01:
Ok, so let's see... "Your choices with TIM". Um, yeah, ok, the choice you make at the end of the game affects the end of the game. Yeah, real winner you've started with. And how do any of your previous 3 games worth of choices affect that?

Your choice of romantic companion affects who magically spontaneously teleported on to the Normandy at the end. Yes, very believable, considering said romantic companion was last seen charging the beam with me in London.

And your total score... The only thing that has any impact at all. And considering that "your score" has no real reflection on your choices, just on how much effort you put into system scanning and multiplayer, that's barely a choice at all.

In other words, your choices have no measurable impact on the game ending.

Well, actually no, because the end sequence with TIM changes depending on your interaction with him throughout the game.

The Normandy sequence, in my interpretation, is the most of the crew survived, since the ship is intact. The fact that any of your romantic options can step out of the ship means that any of those characters are potentially a survivor. They only show you your romantic interest to avoid having to animate every possible permutation of final crew composition.

And yes, the final score is the one major factor on your choice of cinematics. Viewed as a stand alone ending, it is disappointing. However, like I've been arguing the whole time, the final cinematic is only one portion of the ending, which takes place throughout the latter half of the game. My point is, ME3 had a bad ending cinematic, but not a bad ending. In any case, which choices that you make throughout the series do you think could've had a significant impact on the final sequence with the catalyst?

132. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 18:53 Yifes

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 18:47:
But the resolution of the Reaper arc profoundly affects your characters. Tali in particular. Over the course of 3 games we learn about the Quarian exile from their homeworld. You (possibly) set that right in this game. Now she's either stranded on Earth or whatever planet the Normandy landed on. She got to stand on her homeworld and breath it's air for like 15 minutes and left to help you, now it's taken away. Factor in that Rannoch was on the opposite side of the galaxy, that FTL drives need to discharge their cores in gravity wells so they can't travel a direct route, and that they also have to take the long way around the galactic core for safety, and she won't be going home anytime soon. If ever. That's a major development in her story.

Or hell maybe she died off screen. We don't know.

Yes, it does affect your characters, and I think if you were in a romantic relationship with Tali, she's the one who steps out of the Normandy in the ending sequence. So we can assume that in most endings, she survives the crash with the rest of the crew. What I was arguing, was that the choices you make with Tali throughout the series are not significant enough to affect your outcome with the reapers; Not vice versa: that your choices with the reapers should not affect Tali. This was in response to people complaining that your choices throughout the game do not affect the ending.

129. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 18:48 Yifes

Bhruic wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 18:40:
How is that dodging the question?

It's dodging the question because it's not answering it. How exactly does anything that you've chosen affect the ending? You've been asked that many times now, but rather than answering, you keep going back to "well, your choices affect other stuff before the ending". Well duh. We all knew that. Have you heard anyone complaining that your choices don't affect anything? No, you've heard people complaining that your choices don't affect the ending. So unless you actually want to step up and try and make a case for how your choices affect the ending, just admit they don't.

That's already been covered. Your choices with TIM affects whether Shepard lives or not in the end. Your choice of romantic companion affects who steps out of the Normandy. Your total score at the end affects which ending you can choose, and how battle is progressing and what's back on Earth. Yes, the options are limited compared to all the choices you had to make throughout the series, but like I said before, those choices were resolved outside of the final sequence.

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 2012, 18:54.

123. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 18:36 Yifes

Bhruic wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 18:29:
I've addressed this before. Each individual character gets resolution of their story arc. Those are the endings of your companions, but are not significant enough on a galactic scale against the reapers

You mean you've dodged the issue before. You claim that you are arguing against people complaining that their choices don't matter to the ending. But where is it? Yes, the choices you make matter during the rest of the game, but who's talking about the rest of the game? We are talking about the ending. You know, the ending where you get to pick one of three possible outcomes. How do any of your choices affect that?

Of course, you'll just dodge the question again, because you already know they don't. Why you won't just admit that and move on, I don't know, but it's probably why people are labeling you a shill.

? How is that dodging the question? The point is, the choices you make regarding your companions profoundly affects your companion on a personal level. That gets resolved. The final sequence with the reapers deal with issues on a galactic level, and whether Tali or Miranda, or Wrex dies or not is not significant towards resolution of the reaper story arc. This part of the story is Shepard's decision alone. In Planescape Torment do you find out everything that happens to Mort and Dakkon after TNO starts fighting in the Blood War? No, because its not relevant.

118. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 18:25 Yifes

Bhruic wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 18:20:
Its when people complain that your choices don't matter, that's what I'm arguing against

So why not demonstrate how your choices matter to the ending?

You saved the Geth vs the Quarians - what changed in your 3 colour choice? You betrayed the Krogans instead of saving them - what changed in your 3 colour choice? Morinth killed herself to save her daughter - what changed in the 3 colour choice?

I could, of course, go on.

I've addressed this before. Each individual character gets resolution of their story arc. Those are the endings of your companions, but are not significant enough on a galactic scale against the reapers. The choices you make against the reaper resolves the Shepard story arc, but does not negate or cheapen the endings for your companions.

Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 16:22:
ME3 is a great ending to the series. You got to shape this ending, depending on the decisions you made throughout the series. Wrex could've been in charge of the Krogans, or his idiotic warmonger brother Wreave. Mordin could've gave up his life to save Eve and the Krogan race, or not. The Quarians could've learned to live with the Geth or not, and if you chose the Geth over the Quarians, you would've seen one of the most poignant scenes in all of gaming as Tali commits suicide. Miranda dies to kill her father and save her sister. Gaming is an interactive medium, and you as the gamer got to take part in this ending throughout the latter half of the game.

And you got to see the results of your actions: Mordin becomes a hero to the Krogan race, or Wreave readies his troops for intergalactic conquest. The Geth help the Quarians rebuild their homeworld. You mourn for the death of those you lost along the way. That is the epitaph to the story of your companions. That's what matters.

116. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 18:21 Yifes

Funkinator wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 17:48:
Shilling

Holy fuck, someone likes something and said that it was worth buying on sale! You totally got me there buddy.

114. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 18:13 Yifes

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 17:48:
That is absurd, and ignoring canon like Penny Arcade's BS. Non-relay FTL solves nothing. You can't even cross huge sections of the galaxy on it even if you were willing to wait the hundreds/thousands of years it would take because once you hit the spaces between the arms, there aren't any planets for ships to discharge their drive cores. The Alliance's closest territory to Earth] is through a relay; there is nothing worthwhile reachable by FTL from Sol.

The krogan? Well, let's see. Their homeworld is irradiated rubble that can't possibly sustain a population without outside food imports, and if the genophage is cured, they'll be popping out babies by the billions (literally; you are told the first generation will probably be over ten billion.) Overpopulation, much?

Here's another one; two of the fleets at Earth are crewed by dextros. Forgetting for a second that Earth now looks like Tuchanka and probably can't support it's own population (maybe they can eat all the people goo the Reapers left behind hur hur) they can't eat anything anyway. How long until in-fighting starts for food? Or will the relays be fixed before that happens?

Again, the changes are drastic, and the ending gives absolutely no closure for anything. Whether or not krogan society collapses isn't the problem, the problem is we're not shown either way. You can ignore this until the cows come home, but quality is not a subjective thing. Bad writing is bad writing.

Reasonable points, but as you can see in game, even FTL travel allows you access to a number of systems each with numerous planets. The Krogan are a hardy race. They've lived for quite a long time as the Galactic equivalent of Cuba, and I doubt they'd suddenly die out once they're limited to their surrounding systems.

Finally, we are talking about a post-scarcity universe here. You suspense your disbelief long enough to accept galaxy spanning civilizations, but you can't accept the fact that they can synthesize dextros food? Ridiculous.

I don't know what kind of ending you'd be satisfied with if you expect the writers to spell out the evolution for every race for the next century.

880 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo