Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Yifes

Real Name Yifes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Yifes
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 21, 2002, 00:39
Total Comments 865 (Graduate)
User ID 15316

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut
129. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 18:48 Yifes

Bhruic wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 18:40:
How is that dodging the question?

It's dodging the question because it's not answering it. How exactly does anything that you've chosen affect the ending? You've been asked that many times now, but rather than answering, you keep going back to "well, your choices affect other stuff before the ending". Well duh. We all knew that. Have you heard anyone complaining that your choices don't affect anything? No, you've heard people complaining that your choices don't affect the ending. So unless you actually want to step up and try and make a case for how your choices affect the ending, just admit they don't.

That's already been covered. Your choices with TIM affects whether Shepard lives or not in the end. Your choice of romantic companion affects who steps out of the Normandy. Your total score at the end affects which ending you can choose, and how battle is progressing and what's back on Earth. Yes, the options are limited compared to all the choices you had to make throughout the series, but like I said before, those choices were resolved outside of the final sequence.

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 2012, 18:54.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

123. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 18:36 Yifes

Bhruic wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 18:29:
I've addressed this before. Each individual character gets resolution of their story arc. Those are the endings of your companions, but are not significant enough on a galactic scale against the reapers

You mean you've dodged the issue before. You claim that you are arguing against people complaining that their choices don't matter to the ending. But where is it? Yes, the choices you make matter during the rest of the game, but who's talking about the rest of the game? We are talking about the ending. You know, the ending where you get to pick one of three possible outcomes. How do any of your choices affect that?

Of course, you'll just dodge the question again, because you already know they don't. Why you won't just admit that and move on, I don't know, but it's probably why people are labeling you a shill.

? How is that dodging the question? The point is, the choices you make regarding your companions profoundly affects your companion on a personal level. That gets resolved. The final sequence with the reapers deal with issues on a galactic level, and whether Tali or Miranda, or Wrex dies or not is not significant towards resolution of the reaper story arc. This part of the story is Shepard's decision alone. In Planescape Torment do you find out everything that happens to Mort and Dakkon after TNO starts fighting in the Blood War? No, because its not relevant.

118. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 18:25 Yifes

Bhruic wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 18:20:
Its when people complain that your choices don't matter, that's what I'm arguing against

So why not demonstrate how your choices matter to the ending?

You saved the Geth vs the Quarians - what changed in your 3 colour choice? You betrayed the Krogans instead of saving them - what changed in your 3 colour choice? Morinth killed herself to save her daughter - what changed in the 3 colour choice?

I could, of course, go on.

I've addressed this before. Each individual character gets resolution of their story arc. Those are the endings of your companions, but are not significant enough on a galactic scale against the reapers. The choices you make against the reaper resolves the Shepard story arc, but does not negate or cheapen the endings for your companions.

Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 16:22:
ME3 is a great ending to the series. You got to shape this ending, depending on the decisions you made throughout the series. Wrex could've been in charge of the Krogans, or his idiotic warmonger brother Wreave. Mordin could've gave up his life to save Eve and the Krogan race, or not. The Quarians could've learned to live with the Geth or not, and if you chose the Geth over the Quarians, you would've seen one of the most poignant scenes in all of gaming as Tali commits suicide. Miranda dies to kill her father and save her sister. Gaming is an interactive medium, and you as the gamer got to take part in this ending throughout the latter half of the game.

And you got to see the results of your actions: Mordin becomes a hero to the Krogan race, or Wreave readies his troops for intergalactic conquest. The Geth help the Quarians rebuild their homeworld. You mourn for the death of those you lost along the way. That is the epitaph to the story of your companions. That's what matters.

116. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 18:21 Yifes

Funkinator wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 17:48:
Shilling

Holy fuck, someone likes something and said that it was worth buying on sale! You totally got me there buddy.

114. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 18:13 Yifes

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 17:48:
That is absurd, and ignoring canon like Penny Arcade's BS. Non-relay FTL solves nothing. You can't even cross huge sections of the galaxy on it even if you were willing to wait the hundreds/thousands of years it would take because once you hit the spaces between the arms, there aren't any planets for ships to discharge their drive cores. The Alliance's closest territory to Earth] is through a relay; there is nothing worthwhile reachable by FTL from Sol.

The krogan? Well, let's see. Their homeworld is irradiated rubble that can't possibly sustain a population without outside food imports, and if the genophage is cured, they'll be popping out babies by the billions (literally; you are told the first generation will probably be over ten billion.) Overpopulation, much?

Here's another one; two of the fleets at Earth are crewed by dextros. Forgetting for a second that Earth now looks like Tuchanka and probably can't support it's own population (maybe they can eat all the people goo the Reapers left behind hur hur) they can't eat anything anyway. How long until in-fighting starts for food? Or will the relays be fixed before that happens?

Again, the changes are drastic, and the ending gives absolutely no closure for anything. Whether or not krogan society collapses isn't the problem, the problem is we're not shown either way. You can ignore this until the cows come home, but quality is not a subjective thing. Bad writing is bad writing.

Reasonable points, but as you can see in game, even FTL travel allows you access to a number of systems each with numerous planets. The Krogan are a hardy race. They've lived for quite a long time as the Galactic equivalent of Cuba, and I doubt they'd suddenly die out once they're limited to their surrounding systems.

Finally, we are talking about a post-scarcity universe here. You suspense your disbelief long enough to accept galaxy spanning civilizations, but you can't accept the fact that they can synthesize dextros food? Ridiculous.

I don't know what kind of ending you'd be satisfied with if you expect the writers to spell out the evolution for every race for the next century.

111. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 18:03 Yifes

Dades wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 17:45:
I didn't even bother to list all of my own problems with it because you will just nitpick them for several posts as you've done with everyone else. My point is simple, here's the cliffs notes for you in case you joined late. Did you ever stop for a moment to consider the possibility that it is a poor ending that you just happen to like b

Of course you can subjectively dislike any ending. That is completely reasonable, and it seems like the major of people feel this way. However, when you start bringing in specific examples of why the ending is bad, you're the one that's nitpicking. Don't get upset if I don't agree and argue otherwise.

107. removed Apr 5, 2012, 17:46 Yifes

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 5, 2012, 18:52.

101. removed Apr 5, 2012, 17:32 Yifes

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 5, 2012, 18:52.

98. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 17:24 Yifes

Dades wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 17:03:
You asked people to explain what they didn't like about the ending but it doesn't seem like any reasoning will satisfy you, all you're doing is picking apart anything people say. If there's a double standard then it goes both ways.

Then I guess you missed the point where I agree that the ending is vague and full of plot holes. If that is your reasoning for disliking the ending, I have no problems with it. If you prefer a "everyone lives happily ever after ending" then that's ok too. Go watch the original SW trilogy. Its when people complain that your choices don't matter, that's what I'm arguing against. Again, you seem to join a thread late, and miss the point.

97. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 17:17 Yifes

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 17:04:
Actually no, you know the status of jack shit because the ending is so vague and full of plot holes it's impossible to tell what's going on without guessing. The ending blows the setting so far out of the water that it's literally impossible for any of the resolutions you've seen until that point to be viable outcomes after the fact.

It doesn't blow the setting out of the water. You know they still have FTL technology. You know certain members of your crew survived. You know that a minor portion of each race is trapped on Earth.

What, you expect all of Krogan society to collapse because there's no more mass effect relays? Every resolution up to the finale is still viable, except for Geth if you choose the destroy all synthetic option.

91. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 17:00 Yifes

Creston wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 16:49:
Choose blue ending : Reapers fly away. Gates blow up. Normandy crashlands somewhere. Galaxy is fucked, because gates are destroyed. Status of all races and squad mates : Unknown.

Choose green ending : Reapers... whatever. Gates blow up. Normandy crashlands somewhere. Galaxy is fucked, because gates are destroyed, and everyone just got turned into a new being because Shepard thought that was the best solution.
Status of all races and squad mates : Unknown.

Choose red ending : Reapers go boom (yay!). Gates blow up. Normandy crashlands somewhere. galaxy is fucked, because gates are destroyed.
Status of all races and squad mates : Unknown.

Now, can I make my imagination come up with theoretical possibilities for all of those? Sure. If shepard controls the Reapers, he can probably have them make new gates. But how will the galaxy react to seeing the Reapers still there? They'll probably demand they be destroyed. Can they even still talk to Shepard and demand he takes them elsewhere? Maybe they can, maybe they can't. Maybe Mac Walters Space Kid becomes ambassador to the Alliance for the Reapers, and speaks for Shepard, and he storms out screaming "THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!" when the Council politely though firmly informs him he needs to take his fucking genocide machines, and go get himself fucked.

Yes, I can imagine all these things. I can imagine a million more. I paid Bioware around 200 fucking dollars in total so I didn't have to imagine it MY FUCKING SELF.

Creston

Well, you know the status of your remaining companions, at least the ones on the Normandy. They live, seeing as Joker and the crew are alive. You know the status of the different races: Geth/Quarians working together, a Krogan renaissance etc, that was resolved before the end. The galaxy is not fucked, as they still have FTL technology. Just relatively isolated.

Also, I paid Bioware around $200 to play 3 games, not for a 10 minute cinematic. If that's the only thing you care about, no wonder you feel screwed.

87. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 16:48 Yifes

Dades wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 16:29:
We heard you the first time, after you asked what people didn't like about the ending which was apparently code for you to dump all over others and tell them to read harry potter. When people say they had a problem with the ending, they don't mean the whole game which is the third part in a trilogy. Calling the entire game an ending is sidestepping what people had a problem with.

Also, Harry Potter is not an insult. I read Harry Potter, or else how would I know the ending? The point is, Harry Potter wraps up every character's story in neat little ribbons of how everyone lives happily ever after. Change it to Return of the Jedi if that's more palatable for you, with the dancing ghosts and Ewoks.

84. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 16:39 Yifes

Dades wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 16:29:
We heard you the first time, after you asked what people didn't like about the ending which was apparently code for you to dump all over others and tell them to read harry potter. When people say they had a problem with the ending, they don't mean the whole game which is the third part in a trilogy. Calling the entire game an ending is sidestepping what people had a problem with.

Not what I was saying at all. Do you want cliff notes? It seems like you have a habit of jumping late into a conversation and only picking up part of the discussion. And if you have a problem with the way I defend Bioware's decision after the trashing it got on these forums, then you have some serious double standards.

82. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 16:22 Yifes

Eh, enough arguing over the internet. Here's my last 2 cents:

ME3 is a great ending to the series. You got to shape this ending, depending on the decisions you made throughout the series. Wrex could've been in charge of the Krogans, or his idiotic warmonger brother Wreave. Mordin could've gave up his life to save Eve and the Krogan race, or not. The Quarians could've learned to live with the Geth or not, and if you chose the Geth over the Quarians, you would've seen one of the most poignant scenes in all of gaming as Tali commits suicide. Miranda dies to kill her father and save her sister. Gaming is an interactive medium, and you as the gamer got to take part in this ending throughout the latter half of the game.

And you got to see the results of your actions: Mordin becomes a hero to the Krogan race, or Wreave readies his troops for intergalactic conquest. The Geth help the Quarians rebuild their homeworld. You mourn for the death of those you lost along the way. That is the epitaph to the story of your companions. That's what matters.

Yes the final cinematic is cheap, vague and full of plot holes as Bioware tries to illustrate 3 outcomes with one set of cinematics, but it was only a small part of the conclusion. I had a great time leading up to the finale, and if you view the game as a complete interactive experience, ME3 was a great conclusion to a great series.

78. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 15:56 Yifes

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 15:52:
Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 15:43:
Uh you do see humans merge with synthetics. Watch the synthesis ending again.

To be sure I didn't miss anything I watched it again on youtube. Reapers take off just like blue ending, green energy spreads, Joker and EDI walk out of Normandy looking normal. No shots of any people changing form or looking different. What part are you referring to?

The circuitry in the leaves on the trees, the circuitry built into Joker's body. That pretty much confirms that the catalyst was not lying in any of the endings.

75. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 15:50 Yifes

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 15:29:
If it wasn't for your UID, I'd think you're a paid EA-biodrone troll trying to say "everything is grand, and fully fills all the plot holes" by doing the same cinematic sequences with coloured lights.

When I read a book, the ending is there. I just finished playing BG, and the epilogue was sure a cinematic but it fit the story. When I play PS:Torment, the ending is a cinematic but the actual choices I make in the game determine what happens and how I get there, and what happens to everything in between. When I completed BG2/TOB the same deal happens, but my choices through those games also decide what happens based on my alignment. BGTOB was a 'three choice option' but did it very well.

Of course there's plot holes, I never said the ending is perfect. It's deliberately vague and you have to infer a lot from the conversations leading up to the ending.

As for PS:T, it's been a while, but isn't the end the same no matter what you do? You wake up after you die, and take part in the Blood War. The fact that all routes you take leads up to the same end cinematic doesn't cheapen the ending at all, just like in ME3. I don't remember much of TOB, as I thought it was quite mediocre compared to BG2.

74. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 15:43 Yifes

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 15:37:
Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 15:20:
You do see the results of your choice. You see the reapers getting destroyed, or you see them leaving, or you see the new results of merging organics with synthetics. Just because the game doesn't hold your hand and spell out every little detail of how every character lived happily ever after doesn't mean there's no resolution. If you need that kind of conclusion, go read Harry Potter.

Sorry but no. You don't see humans merge with synthetics. You see Reapers move upwards, that doesn't mean they left. You see some Reapers collapse but see nothing happen to the Geth or EDI. It doesn't have to be happy, the entire game was about the situation being unhappy. A complete lack of information about the results of your choices is sloppy. A book is not a fair comparison, I can't control the choices in that book. We saw the results of our actions throughout the entire series, why is it wrong to want that for the final, ultimate decision?

Uh you do see humans merge with synthetics. Watch the synthesis ending again.

68. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 15:20 Yifes

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 15:15:
How can something even be considered a choice when you don't get to see the results of that choice? What if the kid was completely lying? What if it was a stupid Matrix Reloaded type trick where everything you knew was just another form of control?

You do see the results of your choice. You see the reapers getting destroyed, or you see them leaving, or you see the new results of merging organics with synthetics. Just because the game doesn't hold your hand and spell out every little detail of how every character lived happily ever after doesn't mean there's no resolution. If you need that kind of conclusion, go read Harry Potter.

67. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 15:18 Yifes

Creston wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 15:01:
Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 13:52:
But the choice that you made is what matters, and those were 3 very different choices.

3 very different choices!

:-yawn-:

Creston

Try to think about your actions within context of the story, instead of just watching a cutscene. It's a whole game, and the end cutscene is just a part of the ending. I know its hard, but try not to let the pretty flashing lights distract you, k?

65. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 15:12 Yifes

SXO wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 14:13:
It would be quite powerful if it made sense. Explain to me how Joker and the crew got to the relay before it exploded, used it to jump to another system, and survived the explosion of the relay in that system to end up crash landing on a habitable system. As for the catalyst, it only makes sense if you don't try to make sense of it. And this is just scratching the surface of how ridiculous the ending(s) is/are.

How do you know they're in a mass relay? They could be just using their FTL drive to travel to a neighboring system. Also, how do you know the world is new? They could've just landing in some jungle in an already inhabited system. When I say new world, I was speaking of a post reaper era, not literally an unexplored system. Also, the timeline isn't exactly clear. We don't know what exactly the Normandy was up to during those last moments, or in fact how long the destruction of the mass relays took, or when the destruction of the relays started with relation to the rest of the battle.

865 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo