Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Yifes

Real Name Yifes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Yifes
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 21, 2002, 00:39
Total Comments 892 (Graduate)
User ID 15316

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Hacking?
111. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 18:26 Yifes

Flatline wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:20:
Also, for saying "there's going to be server problems, that's to be expected", I ask... "Why is that expected?" These guys, as you point out, ran 12 million players over dozens of servers for years and years. The one thing I'd *expect* them to be really good at *is* server side shit.

No other game has to deal with the enormous popularity and peak day 1 demand of diablo 3. 12 million players in WOW was a gradual thing; they didn't launch and have 12 million people playing from the start.

The fact that they got their shit together and servers actually worked this weekend is already surprising.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

95. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 17:10 Yifes

RollinThundr wrote on May 21, 2012, 16:54:
I think this post is spot on, I did cave and get it, I still think the graphics are substandard ala 2006, the plot is so predictable its laughable, and the way they've handled items in the sense that rares are better than legendary/set items when legendary and set items drop about .00000000001% of the time to encourage the use of the AH is just about as bad a design decision you can make.

Now people's accounts are getting hacked, so much for that "secure" online only protection eh blizzard? How long before dupes start showing up on the AH? Any minute now?

Fact of the matter is, as addictive as loot hunting is, the game itself is pretty mediocre aside from the cinematics.

I don't think any of the loot is worthwhile until you hit lvl 60. It's like wow, where a high level uncommon item will beat any low level rare/legendary item. Seriously, who will pay money for an item that will be replaced 10 levels down the road with a better one?

Regarding the graphics: it's a Blizzard game. After seeing WOW and Diablo 2, were you expecting something better?

93. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 17:05 Yifes

MadBoris wrote on May 21, 2012, 16:49:
Let me see if I am keeping count on how the gamer benefits from all of this...

Some Cons?

Your list of cons pretty much focuses on server issues, which is expected at launch. Aside from lag and downtime, your list does not represent typical gameplay experience of the people I know who own the game.

The game itself is better than Diablo 2 IMO, but I've never been a huge D2 fan. Took around 18 hours to co-op with some friends, ran into an hour of server downtime, and had some rubber banding which was solved by relogging into the server.

86. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 16:30 Yifes

Flatline wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:59:
Blizzard is drunk with it's own success. Diablo 3 took 12 years to come out. It's been developed for the last... let's say 5 years. That's f*cking insane for as derivative of a game as it is. Until you look at Starcraft 2, which is just starcraft 1 with a graphics engine overhaul, and how many years that took, and how long it's taking to create an *expansion pack* for the stupid f*cking game.

They have *so* much money thanks to WoW that they're turning into the George Lucas of video games: they're insulated, bloated, slow, and out of touch. They're basically pillaging the same 3 IPs that they've had for 20 years now, and the efforts are getting more and more derivative.

Blizzard needs to have one or two really good failures in the industry to make it hungry again. To remind them that they *can* and *do* fuck up.

Sadly, that's not going to happen any time soon.

Pretty poor analogy. George Lucas' prequels failed because they deviated so far from the original trilogy. You may call Starcraft II and Diablo 3 derivative, but they stay true to the formulas that made them so popular in the first place. That's the whole point of a sequel.

Blizzard has NEVER re-invented the wheel. They have always taken other people's and their own ideas, and polished them to a level that no other company can match. That is why they are successful, and so far, they have not failed.

17. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 12:24 Yifes

ASeven wrote on May 21, 2012, 12:21:
Yifes wrote on May 21, 2012, 12:18:
ASeven wrote on May 21, 2012, 11:58:
Anyone who bought this game under the premise this wouldn't be hacked:

WE FUCKING TOLD YOU SO

Who said this couldn't be hacked or are you just arguing with yourself and winning?

Hmm is this a new tactic from rabid fanboys, denying what they said in the past?

What did I say in the past? You are so delusional, its sad. It's pretty stupid to claim that anything online can't be hacked, so if you are really arguing with someone about that, then congrats on proving them wrong.

This comment was edited on May 21, 2012, 12:31.

15. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 12:18 Yifes

ASeven wrote on May 21, 2012, 11:58:
Anyone who bought this game under the premise this wouldn't be hacked:

WE FUCKING TOLD YOU SO

Who said this couldn't be hacked or are you just arguing with yourself and winning?

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed May 19, 2012, 18:53 Yifes

Bhruic wrote on May 19, 2012, 17:15:
Every single MMO can be played alone, solo, and never "interact" with groups or other people, but you have to be online. It is required. Get over it man!

How many times do I have to debunk that claim before it sinks in?

It's not possible to not be impacted by other players in an MMO. Even if you never group with them, you are still the same game world. They are still affecting it, and therefore your experience. It's a persistent world in which you are only a single person. It's impossible to have a singleplayer experience there.

The same is not true in D3. If you make a private game, and set it to be completely private, no one else can impact your game world. It's a completely separate instance, and can only be affected by you and what you choose to do in it. It is completely a singleplayer experience.

The point is not whether other players can affect your experience when you're soloing in Diablo. The point is that millions people can deal with online only requirement in gaming in general, so get the fuck over this particular requirement for D3.

News Comments > Ad Says Guild Wars 2 Next Month
9. Re: Ad Says Guild Wars 2 Next Month May 15, 2012, 23:08 Yifes

wtf_man wrote on May 15, 2012, 21:12:
As much as I love the game... it still needs work. I doubt it will be fixed within 1-2 "once a month - weekend betas"

So, I hope this is wrong and they aren't launching prematurely like most other jackass developers / publishers do.

Yeah, not to mention we haven't even played the Asura and the Silvari. I highly doubt that it's going to be ready in a month.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Stress Test
9. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 10, 2012, 22:25 Yifes

Turglar wrote on May 10, 2012, 22:05:
Still only prepurchases? Doesn't seem ideal for a stress test. What are they hiding? Personally I refuse to buy a game to beta it.

They're not hiding anything. The NDA has dropped. You're free to say anything, recording anything, show anything about the game. They just already have dozens of servers and more than enough people to beta test the game. No need for them to waste money at this point.

News Comments > Morning Previews
38. Re: Morning Previews Apr 30, 2012, 21:40 Yifes

NKD wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 20:31:
Krovven wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 20:03:
Tried a friends GW2 beta very briefly this past weekend. It ran like crap on my aging machine,

It ran like crap on my cutting edge machine too, don't feel bad. I've actually never seen an MMO run this shitty by the time they got around to public testing. They need to do more than a little optimization, an overhaul seems more needed.

Seriously? It ran well on low on my 4850. Only noticed any sort of stuttering in the WvW, which was still surprisingly playable with around ~50 people onscreen. That experience alone has me sold on this game.

News Comments > On Guild Wars 2 Worlds
35. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Worlds Apr 25, 2012, 16:53 Yifes

deqer wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 16:48:
Forget all this type, and discussion. The REAL QUESTION IS Is it going to be another shitty grind again? Do I have to really need to spend hours and hours travelling, killing wolves, and shit? It's F2P, so why make us grind? If you want us to be good at our character, then just put a training system in the game. Fuck.

At least making the levelling process only take 20 hours to do. Not 200 hours. Not 100, not 50.

Seriously...

Please take your long-drawn-out lore/questing/grind system and kindly shove it up your ass.

Why make us sink all our time into your game without us knowing yet whether it's worth it or not for us to sink our time into it in the first place.

You think you can make us grind shit again? Nope. People have already had their fill of that shit from WoW--if not EQ--if not any of the other 10 MMOs that have come out, and we're sick of it.

There's very little in the way of gear treadmill, the leveling curve is pretty much flat, and you can right off the bat make max level geared out characters for structured PVP. The reason why so many people are optimistic about this game is because we're sick of all the traditional MMO shit, and GW2 has the potential to change that.

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2012, 17:04.

33. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Worlds Apr 25, 2012, 16:49 Yifes

Tumbler wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 15:00:
I thought this was coming out in May. My bad, carry on. Seems like poor marketing to be this vocal about a game when it's who knows how far off.

Well, the fact that the NDA is now dropped and beta events are under way pretty much means that they're confident with their product and the release is not too far off.

27. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Worlds Apr 25, 2012, 14:34 Yifes

Tumbler wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 14:14:
Seems like there is smoke billowing up from behind the wall...otherwise why not let people play it risk free?

You can get a beta key for free; that's what the beta signups are for. Prepurchasing just guarantees you a spot. Why the hell should they let everyone play for free when they can get enough people for their testing purposes who are willing to pay? It makes no sense for them to launch a large open public beta when game is still far from finished and the release date isn't even announced yet.

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2012, 14:46.

12. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Worlds Apr 25, 2012, 11:25 Yifes

Alamar wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 11:22:
It's just too bad it's not what they claimed early on, but I understand the desire for balance... at least for balancing casual players; dedicated players in other games transfer across servers all the time for various reasons, including pvp imbalance (to get away from or to generate)...

-Alamar

They always claimed that WvW server transfers would have some sort of associated penalty.

News Comments > QuakeCon Pre-Registration Tomorrow
10. Re: QuakeCon Pre-Registration Tomorrow Apr 25, 2012, 02:54 Yifes

Jerykk wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 02:49:
Supporting your customers and all that goodwill shit, they only do that if it makes financial sense to do so.

You make that sound like a bad thing. If being good to customers is the best way to profit, both customers and businesses should be happy. Companies like CD Projekt and Valve have proven that you don't have to screw over your customers (or potential customers) in order to be profitable.

Its not a bad thing, and it sure isn't as simple as "being good" to your customers. You can't make everyone happy, and it's hard to know what consumers want. When business is good and you can financially afford it, you don't have to make hard decisions or compromises that potentially screw over part of your consumer base in order to keep your company afloat.

Just look at the fate of so many great classic PC developers.

News Comments > QuakeCon Pre-Registration Tomorrow
8. Re: QuakeCon Pre-Registration Tomorrow Apr 25, 2012, 02:42 Yifes

Cutter wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 02:20:
SirKnight wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 23:26:
Yeah, how dare game companies try to stay in business. Evil bastards.

lol!

Not everyone and every company is a slave to the dollar. Why support companies that won't support you? Maybe some of you are happy to take their leavings, but the rest of us aren't and they won't get our money.

Quit deluding yourself. The one and ONLY goal for a company is to make money. Supporting your customers and all that goodwill shit, they only do that if it makes financial sense to do so.

News Comments > Diablo III Open Beta Weekend
207. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 20:26 Yifes

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 19:39:
Yifes wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 19:19:
Undocumented Alien wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 10:31:
Yep, totally agree. My buds and I will be purchasing GW2 today and play the Beta this weekend and start heading down that path. By the time we are done with that, Torchlight 2 should be ready.

None of us are really very impressed by D3.

With GW2, you get what, 1 beta weekend a month from now until release, which could be the end of the year for all we know. Not a good plan.

So do you Shill for Activision as well or just EA? Middlefinger

I see your comprehension skills are as bad as your manners. If you're such a good detective, why don't you find out what I think about SWTOR before you go ahead and embarrass yourself. Go somewhere else little troll.

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 2012, 20:33.

202. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 19:19 Yifes

Undocumented Alien wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 10:31:
Yep, totally agree. My buds and I will be purchasing GW2 today and play the Beta this weekend and start heading down that path. By the time we are done with that, Torchlight 2 should be ready.

None of us are really very impressed by D3.

With GW2, you get what, 1 beta weekend a month from now until release, which could be the end of the year for all we know. Not a good plan.

134. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 13:06 Yifes

nin wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 09:59:
Win7 64 here too.
Oh, and a cooldown on potions, another annoyance...

Potion cooldowns are a great change. It makes the combat more tactical than just potion spamming your way through a boss. Anything that moves the series away from the mindless button mashing of the first two games is a good thing.

Looking forward to trying the co-op, really the only thing that made the Diablo series worth playing.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access
50. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 19:28 Yifes

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 18:59:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 18:25:
Ouch. Looking at the CE....this is going to be a very heavy micro transaction game. 3-4 of the items you get in the CE are 1x use. WTF!?

If it is going to be like that, why not make the game 29.99 like the others? Or free?
IIRC, those 1-time use items have permanent effects though. Of course that doesn't mean that this still won't be micro-trans heavy.

The items from the in game store are mostly cosmetic or QoL enhancements, unlike what you get from the pre-order. There's really nothing in store that would give you an advantage in the competitive aspects of the game. And, with one of the flattest leveling curves of any MMORPG, it's not like you need to buy XP boosts to level at a reasonable pace.

892 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo