Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Yifes

Real Name Yifes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Yifes
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 21, 2002, 00:39
Total Comments 881 (Graduate)
User ID 15316

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > StarCraft II Protoss "Mini-Campaign"
23. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 17:24 Yifes

Please no one said they needed Crysis level graphics, though at least something current would be nice for once out of a blizzard game.
D2 sucked, War3 sucked, SC was great for its time but I'm not sure I want to play SC1 with slightly better graphics and pay 50 x 3 for the whole single player.

Fair point. But at least wait and see what they're offering before saying that all they're doing is rehashing SC1 3 times and ripping off consumers. I don't see how you can make the conclusions that you've made based on the info we have now. You're not even giving them a chance here.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 17:01 Yifes

Its true because some blizard dev tells you so? lol

It's wrong because you know better? What did Blizzard do to you in the past? Lie to you about beating your mother? There was actually no candy in that van outside of Blizzcon?

Its been 10 years since SC1 was released. They no longer have Blizzard North so I would imagine all the various "teams" are under one roof at this point.

Yeah, your imagination is the land of fail it seems since it's well documented that the teams are separate. Guess what? The team that makes L4D at Valve are not the same people who make Portal and TF2 either. What do you think the Starcraft team did after Starcraft? Yeah, Warcraft 3.

It should not take 5+ years for EVERY SINGLE PROJECT they put out (which alone screams out poor management), hense why SC2's graphics look circa 2005. Much like Diablo 2's features at release (640x480 max res and all) were behind every other title at the time, expect the same here.

Yeah stop playing Blizzard games because the graphics don't look like Crysis. Seriously stop.

I mean hell its worked for Blizzard so far, great CGI, shitty outdated gameplay.

Right. Blizzard's shitty gameplay is what makes Starcraft the most popular competitive multiplayer RTS in the history of gaming. Good thinking there buddy.

It seems like talking to you is useless because what you "imagine" and reality are two different things.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2010, 17:07.

20. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 16:54 Yifes

While I found Dawn of War 2 to be a great game, it was not as good as Starcraft for pacing, story, and it's ability to keep things fresh through varied styles.

That's because DoW2 removed an entire aspect of RTS gaming: the base building. Traditional RTS games have unit missions, unit + base building missions, and defense missions. The limited scope of DoW2, along with the endless rehash of generic missions in the campaign mode made the game repetitive and eventually boring.

It will be interesting to see what kind of story telling innovation Blizzard comes up with this time around. The mission briefings and in game cutscenes in the original starcraft were pathetic at best. Personally I'm looking forward to the custom maps that will be available. The editor and engine looks powerful and promising.

13. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 16:27 Yifes

The question is, is that even true? Blizzard are the masters of over hyping and under delivering. I would highly doubt that one races single player campaign is more than the entire first game. Its really less so entitlement and more so not wanting to pay full price 3 times on a cash grab to further fund Blizzards inability to manage projects properly thus taking 10 years between non mmo expansions.

Yes it is true about the length of the SCII:WoL campaign being on par or longer than all 3 single player campaigns of Starcraft 1. Why don't you learn about what is happening before you make wild accusations.

And no, it's not 10 years because the Starcraft team makes all the RTSes, and their last game was Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne. Seriously dude, do you even know what you're talking about?

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2010, 16:29.

12. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 16:23 Yifes

And if you honestly believe that, I've a bridge to sell you real cheap. Personally I don't support piracy period, so I'm right with you on that part of your post. But seeing this whole situation for anything other than the cash grab it is by Activision is nieve at best.

Retarded. What, the expansion for Dawn of War 2 featuring Chaos is also a mad cash grab because Chaos should have been in the game in the first place?

11. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 16:22 Yifes

It has nothing to do with race equality but everything to do with milking the franchise and charging the fans three times for essentially one product.

Not to mention the fact that, even though they have split the title up into three separate entities, they continue to delay and take their sweet time with it after so many years. Although Blizzard is known for taking time with their products, to what end will we have to experience to full campaign?

Ridiculous. No they did not "Split up" the title into 3 separate entities. That's like saying they split the original Starcraft 1 into 2 games, vanilla and Brood War to tell the full story. They just changed the format and order in which they present the story and all the idiots out there just can't get over the idea that since the first starcraft had 3 races in the campaign, SCII must have 3 races also.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2010, 16:36.

5. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 14:59 Yifes

All this "Episodic gaming for regular prices each time" crap makes me glad I've never cared about this series. Need to get around to reinstalling DoW2...

That's hilariously ironic since DoW2 single player, just like SCII:WoL, has only the space marines campaign. Are we still stuck on this moronic notion that, despite the fact that SCII:WoL will have more single player content than all 3 campaigns of Starcraft 1 combined, Blizzard is still ripping off the community since every race is not represented equally? The stupidity and self entitlement of the internet never ceases to amaze me.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2010, 15:17.

News Comments > WoW China Follow-up
4. Re: WoW China Follow-up Jan 1, 2010, 19:36 Yifes

Yea but I can still go out and buy a loaf of bread without needing permission from the local bureau officer..!

And you can do that in China too. Way to cling to some delusional 1984 fantasy version of a country that you've never visited.

News Comments > Op Ed
52. Re: Op Ed Dec 28, 2009, 18:43 Yifes

Multiple eyewitness accounts you dismiss, but speculating from a void? That's reasonable!

Do you know that eyewitness accounts are the lowest form of "evidence", and is notoriously unreliable? You know that even in 19th century masses of people still believed in fairies? There was all sorts of "evidence", from eyewitness testimonies to archeological "proof". People to this day swear they have seen things like UFOs, bigfoot, Elvis, etc.

If it's not reliable today, how could it be 2000 years ago in one of the most backwater, uneducated, superstitious corners of the earth? Fact is, there is no evidence of Jesus' divinity, only eyewitness accounts of miracles. Eyewitness miracles are hardly unique to Christianity, and is the basis for almost every religion/myth/supersititon out there. Your "evidence" is just as bad as the "evidence" for the book of Mormon, Islam, Hindu, whatever.

So yeah, if you believe then good for you. Just stop preaching and claiming it's our fault we reject your flawed evidence. Some of us here have better bullshit detectors on our faith-o-meters.
This comment was edited on Dec 28, 2009, 19:09.

News Comments > On Duke Nukem's Future
41. Re: On Duke Nukem's Future Dec 27, 2009, 13:29 Yifes

sure puts the lie to all the talk about "software piracy" and its effect on game developers and publishers...;)

Surely you're joking, because it'd take a massive failure of logic to infer that, because one company has been successful, other developers' piracy claims are lies.

News Comments > Steam Torchlight Patched
41. Re: Steam Torchlight Patch Dec 23, 2009, 13:23 Yifes

I would be waiting for a sale on games I wanted regardless of if I tried it beforehand or not.

"OMG you are costing devs because you tried out the game", doesn't hold water in my particular case.

You still don't get it do you? It doesn't matter that you would have waited to buy the game anyways. It doesn't matter that there are other games out there that you didn't pirate and try out before hand. What you would have done and what you have done in other cases does not justify one bit why you pirated the game this time instead of playing the perfectly good full feature demo or just paying the cheap asking price of $20.

The issue here isn't how much financial loss you caused the developers, which we've established as minimal. The issue here is that you somehow feel entitled to pirate games and try them for free without the developers consent. What you do afterwards does not retrospectively make your original actions acceptable.

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2009, 13:41.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Postmortem
64. Re: DNF Postmortem Dec 23, 2009, 03:18 Yifes

time flies, aeroplanes crash - live for NOW... not some bullshit rose-colored dream of your past glory days.

do you really want to be a consumerist trend-hopper just towing the line, blithely carrying the freshly decrepit undead corpse of public opinion as its jagged mandibles dig into your heart to feed its insatiable lust for blood, sweat and tears?

This was so beautiful, I almost cried.

36. Re: Steam Torchlight Patched Dec 22, 2009, 01:55 Yifes

Well if you are so gung ho on "omg he got to play it for a month before buying it", then by your logic it must make a differance that I probably played the downloaded version for less than 5 hours.

So you're saying that you only stole 3 hours of gametime? Do you want a congrats or something?

By your logic, its also evil to play at a friends house.

When did playing at a friends house become piracy? When did that become illegal? And when did I say you abusing the developers was evil? Your extrapolation of my logic makes no sense.

BTW, its still a two way street. The seller is still dictating the price that he's selling at, and I'm still the ultimate arbitrar of if I'll buy it or not at that price.

No, it's not, because the developers initially offered you their game for $20. You said no thank you, but proceeded to pirate it anyways. There was no deal, no two way street. You had the full game for free for 3 months, and the developers had NO say in it what so ever. It just happens that 3 months later, the developers offered you another deal, and this time you accepted. Just because you eventually made one legal transaction doesn't retrospectively make everything legit.

You just don't get it do you? I have no problems with what you're doing. Some support is a hell lot better than none. There's real pirates out there for me to be pissed off about. But you can't justify that you're not abusing the developers, albeit to a small degree.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2009, 02:12.

34. Re: Steam Torchlight Patched Dec 22, 2009, 01:15 Yifes

Dev:
I suppose people who don't want to pay $60 for just released games but want to wait until it hits half price are also "naming thier own price and payment schedule." Like people waiting for L4D2 Christmas sale, how dare they.

Jerykk:
I don't really see how that matters. To a publisher or developer, the end result is the same. Playing a game first and then buying it for $10 is the same as buying a game for $10 and then playing it. In the end, both people are paying $10 and that's really all that matters.

You guys obviously don't get the point.

The value that the company assigned to their consumers to be able to play the game upon release was $20. Dev then proceeded to pirate the game, and play it for free. Months later, the game goes on sale, and Dev purchases it for $10. Essentially, he ripped off the developers of $10, and got the same time-value from the game as someone who paid the full price, hence dictating his own price and payment schedule for a game. This is vastly different from the guy who waits legally for L4D2 to drop in price. The guy who waits legally pays less but in return doesn't get to play the game immediately. See the difference and why your piracy is abuse?

Except people do it all the time. It's the nature of capitalism. The consumer decides how much things are worth.

Except capitalism is a 2 way street. The consumer gets to decide how much things are worth, and the seller gets to determine what price they're willing to sell at. A deal is made when there is a mutal agreement. In this case, obviously the developers were not willing to let people play their game on day 1 for free, and then pay them $10 3 months later.

Piracy is abuse because the person who pirates dictates the terms of the entire transaction. Seriously, next time try going to a business and telling them how much their product/service is worth and when you're goign to pay them without letting them name their terms. I don't think you understand how capitalism works.

If you like abusing the system and breaking the law, fine. Just stop with the bullshit justifciations and self-entitlement.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2009, 01:45.

News Comments > Jagged Alliance 3 Cancelled?
30. Re: JA3 Cancelled? Dec 21, 2009, 13:22 Yifes

Like I said, I've been playing the game recently (JA2 with 1.13) and you get no help from militia when taking new towns. The only time that applies is when you take a sector and rarely have enough loyalty to start training.

1.13 sounds great. I need to buy this game again. Do the patches and mods work if I buy it off of Impulse? And has anyone tried the fanmade campaigns like Urban Chaos and Deidranna Lives (http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/ )? Worth playing?

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2009, 13:23.

28. Re: Game Reviews Dec 21, 2009, 13:05 Yifes

That would be like saying, don't use re-spawning health kits or night vision goggles in that FPS, it makes the game too easy.

No. Health kits and NVGs are an integrated part of FPS gameplay. Whereas the strategic layer of JA2 (where you train the militia) is a segregated portion of the game, and has little impact on the tactical missions you perform when taking over new sectors in JA2.

Try harder, and this time don't ignore my other points (like how your exploit doesn't work on higher difficulties).

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2009, 13:13.

26. Re: Game Reviews Dec 21, 2009, 12:41 Yifes

There's a great difference when playing a 'turn based game' with another person 'in person' vs. playing a video game's typically predictable and exploitable AI. For example, in JA 2, all you had to do was let time pass and your own AI training (of citizens) could be exploited to nearly win the entire game by simply skipping moves.

1. Just because a videogame is turn based doesn't mean it's single player only.

2. The tactical game is the heart of JA, and the expansion (JA2:UB) doesn't even have a strategic layer. You can't even use trained citizens in JA2 to take over new sectors, so your complaint isn't even leveled at the majority of the game. Also, if you play the game on a hard enough difficulty, your trained citizens don't stand a chance against the shitstorm of elite grey troops that the AI sends your way, and you don't have nearly enough $$$ to just sit on your ass and train.

3. Also, if lame exploits make the game boring, why don't you stop using them? You might as well complain that any game with cheat codes/editors is boring. The option exists for you to play without them.

Terrible example.

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2009, 12:50.

17. Re: Game Reviews Dec 20, 2009, 23:35 Yifes

I started playing chess since the third grade. I've been playing it on and off for decades ever since.

It's pretty obvious when I refer to turn based games it's about video games.

I'm also not referring to checkers, backgammon, cards, Risk, Monopoly, nor any another primarily non-video game.

Funny that you enjoy chess, considering that your one and only criticism of turn based video games can also be applied to the board games that you listed.

23. Re: Steam Torchlight Patched Dec 20, 2009, 01:31 Yifes

Um, he did wait for it to go on sale before buying it.

Except he pirated it when it first came out. He played it immediately, and only waited to pay for it, at a discount.

I don't understand why people are complaining about dev pirating the game. He bought it afterwards so what's the issue?

I agree, doing that is a hell of a lot better than outright pirating the game like so many other people out there. But bragging about how you supported a developer months later and only after the game's on sale, because it meets your arbitrary standards of quality, is just weak. It's like going to a museum and bragging about how you eventually paid 1/2 of the recommended donation, 2 months after your original visit. Congrats on not being a douche I guess.

Keep supporting the developers in your own way. Just stop trying to justify how you're entitled to break the law for instant self-gratification and what is essentially the ability to name your own price and payment schedule for other people's work. I hope you understand why some people can still view this kind of behavior as abusive and wrong, albeit to a much lesser degree.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2009, 02:15.

21. Re: Steam Torchlight Patched Dec 19, 2009, 21:52 Yifes

Tony, there's no use arguing with people like that. The anonymity of the internet bred this self-entitled and instant gratification seeking generation. Why take the risk of purchasing a bad game when you can steal it for free and then determine afterwards if it's "worth" your money? Why spend the time to try and make an informed decision when breaking the law is so much more convenient? Why wait for a game of questionable quality to go on sale when you can download it NOW NOW NOW? In an age where you don't have to take responsiblity for your actions, why not have your cake and eat it too?

Yes demos do a poor job of representing the real thing. But that's why demos are FREE. You get what you pay for. Still, it's a terrible excuse in this case since Torchlight had a full feature, time limited demo. But hey, why bother spending 10 seconds to find that out when it's easier just to pirate it?

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2009, 22:27.

881 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo