Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Yifes

Real Name Yifes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Yifes
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 21, 2002, 00:39
Total Comments 865 (Graduate)
User ID 15316

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Jagged Alliance 3 Cancelled?
26. Re: Game Reviews Dec 21, 2009, 12:41 Yifes

There's a great difference when playing a 'turn based game' with another person 'in person' vs. playing a video game's typically predictable and exploitable AI. For example, in JA 2, all you had to do was let time pass and your own AI training (of citizens) could be exploited to nearly win the entire game by simply skipping moves.

1. Just because a videogame is turn based doesn't mean it's single player only.

2. The tactical game is the heart of JA, and the expansion (JA2:UB) doesn't even have a strategic layer. You can't even use trained citizens in JA2 to take over new sectors, so your complaint isn't even leveled at the majority of the game. Also, if you play the game on a hard enough difficulty, your trained citizens don't stand a chance against the shitstorm of elite grey troops that the AI sends your way, and you don't have nearly enough $$$ to just sit on your ass and train.

3. Also, if lame exploits make the game boring, why don't you stop using them? You might as well complain that any game with cheat codes/editors is boring. The option exists for you to play without them.

Terrible example.

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2009, 12:50.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Jagged Alliance 3 Cancelled?
17. Re: Game Reviews Dec 20, 2009, 23:35 Yifes

I started playing chess since the third grade. I've been playing it on and off for decades ever since.

It's pretty obvious when I refer to turn based games it's about video games.

I'm also not referring to checkers, backgammon, cards, Risk, Monopoly, nor any another primarily non-video game.

Funny that you enjoy chess, considering that your one and only criticism of turn based video games can also be applied to the board games that you listed.

News Comments > Steam Torchlight Patched
23. Re: Steam Torchlight Patched Dec 20, 2009, 01:31 Yifes

Um, he did wait for it to go on sale before buying it.

Except he pirated it when it first came out. He played it immediately, and only waited to pay for it, at a discount.

I don't understand why people are complaining about dev pirating the game. He bought it afterwards so what's the issue?

I agree, doing that is a hell of a lot better than outright pirating the game like so many other people out there. But bragging about how you supported a developer months later and only after the game's on sale, because it meets your arbitrary standards of quality, is just weak. It's like going to a museum and bragging about how you eventually paid 1/2 of the recommended donation, 2 months after your original visit. Congrats on not being a douche I guess.

Keep supporting the developers in your own way. Just stop trying to justify how you're entitled to break the law for instant self-gratification and what is essentially the ability to name your own price and payment schedule for other people's work. I hope you understand why some people can still view this kind of behavior as abusive and wrong, albeit to a much lesser degree.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2009, 02:15.

News Comments > Steam Torchlight Patched
21. Re: Steam Torchlight Patched Dec 19, 2009, 21:52 Yifes

Tony, there's no use arguing with people like that. The anonymity of the internet bred this self-entitled and instant gratification seeking generation. Why take the risk of purchasing a bad game when you can steal it for free and then determine afterwards if it's "worth" your money? Why spend the time to try and make an informed decision when breaking the law is so much more convenient? Why wait for a game of questionable quality to go on sale when you can download it NOW NOW NOW? In an age where you don't have to take responsiblity for your actions, why not have your cake and eat it too?

Yes demos do a poor job of representing the real thing. But that's why demos are FREE. You get what you pay for. Still, it's a terrible excuse in this case since Torchlight had a full feature, time limited demo. But hey, why bother spending 10 seconds to find that out when it's easier just to pirate it?

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2009, 22:27.

News Comments > Spec Ops: The Line Announced
4. Re: Spec Ops: The Line Announced Dec 13, 2009, 20:04 Yifes

Ugh. Another modern military shooter. So fucking disappointed that it's not X-COM.  

News Comments > WoW Patched
22. Re: WoW Patched Dec 9, 2009, 00:17 Yifes

The gear curve is pretty brutal and it really prohibits the casual player from evr being anything more than very casual - which is Blizzard's own fault. In a month I'll have finished Northrend than I'll probably be done playing untill Cataclysm - as I'm just not down with the grind.

I like how, in MMOs, someone can spend hundreds of hours to get to Northrend, and still be considered a very casual player.

News Comments > Muzyka: Mass Effect 2: "The Best Thing Yet from BioWare"
22. Re: Muzyka: Mass Effect 2: Dec 7, 2009, 01:13 Yifes

You'll notice that the old games play much more smoothly than GUN and The Godfather. This is because they are running at well over 100 FPS while GUN and The Godfather are capped at 30.

You've show me that there is a difference. The second link is pretty cool. There is a definite difference between 15 and 30, but the difference between 30 and 60 is much more subtle. The subtleties are nicely demonstrated by a side-by-side comparison.

I think for 30fps, you have to be looking out for the differences or have some prior knowledge of what the game plays like at 60fps to really notice the difference, especially when your brain is occupied by what's going on ingame and there's no side-by-side comparison. Capping it at 30 would be pretty stupid, but it's just not enough of a reason to skip out on something great. And yeah, I generally don't don't let frame rates bother me unless I'm playing something competitive.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2009, 01:15.

19. Re: Muzyka: Mass Effect 2: Dec 7, 2009, 00:47 Yifes

You honestly can't tell the difference between 24 FPS and 200 FPS? Wait, are you one of those people that actually believes the whole "your eyes can't discern more than 24 FPS" logic? If so, this debate is a lost cause.

Really? Then please point to some sources and educate me. I was under the impression that the whole reason why you can tell 24FPS and 200FPS apart is that at 24FPS, there is a much higher chance of the FPS dropping below a threshold where you'll notice it. And playing at 60FPS is more enjoyable because it's less likely that you'll run into hiccups.

I would actually be pretty interested to see some evidence about the brain's ability to discern fps past a certain threshold beyond pure psychological and placebo like effects of knowing the fps beforehand.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2009, 00:52.

17. Re: Muzyka: Mass Effect 2: Dec 7, 2009, 00:38 Yifes

You find 20 FPS acceptable? Really?

You're missing the point. This isn't a game like Q3 where the physics and gameplay changes depending on your fps. Or a competitive fighting game like Tekken where precise timing and hit calculation are done on a frame by frame basis.

You really can't tell the difference between 24 fps and 200 fps. What you do notice is when the fps dips below ~20 fps. That's why you buy expensive video cards, so that when the action is intense and all the effects are flying on-screen your card still has enough power to keep chugging along at a smooth framerate. That's why good vid card reviews pay attention to the min FPS during their benchmark runs.

So yeah, it would be a stupid reason to not play ME2 if it turns out to be a good game. And the piracy thing: Isn't the whole basis of whether you'll pirate a game or not dependent on if you feel a company/game "deserves" your money or not after you played it?

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2009, 00:45.

14. Re: Muzyka: Mass Effect 2: Dec 6, 2009, 23:52 Yifes

If a developer releases a game on the PC with 30 FPS cap, they don't deserve my money.

It's not like you're trick jumping in Q3 or something. I couldn't care less about my max/avg fps in most games are as long as the min fps never drops below ~20s. That's a pretty stupid reason not to play a RPG. Unless of course you're still going to play it, and you're just looking for an excuse not to pay for it.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2009, 00:28.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: UserFriendly. Dec 4, 2009, 16:41 Yifes

Oh god. That's almost exactly what happens to me when I play Alpha Centauri. I wish Brian Reynolds would make another 4x game instead of sticking with RTSes.

Maybe I missed it, but has anyone posted their thoughts on the new WoT novel?

Wheel of Time? What a horrible, horrible series. Those middle books were some of the worst fiction I've ever read.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2009, 16:44.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2009, 19:48 Yifes

Whoa, slow down there, tyke. I was mostly joking. MOSTLY. And I never made any allusions to blaming others. I simply lightly suggested that we would be better off without China, and all of its ails on human society. OH NO! America would have to suck it up and start producing its own shit and actually paying its employees! Yeah, that would be a bad thing in your eyes too, I'm sure.

Again, learn to laugh.

Good offensive jokes need to be clever to make up for their inherent bad taste. Dead babies, the holocaust, AIDS jokes, etc can all be funny with a bit of wit. Simply suggesting that we nuke something is over-used, not inventive, and just isn't that funny.

And i suppose I'm not saying you're blaming China for global warming. Rather, I'm saying you're using China to distract us from our own problems, which we need to fix. And don't forget that transferring production to America will transfer carbon emissions to America. So while it might be great for employment, it doesn't do much for the environment.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2009, 00:14 Yifes

So are we supposed to ignore that the head researchers that countries and the U.N. depended on for the Global Warming facts,faked their "Global Warming" research? Does this bother anyone?

What? The only "proof" of anyone faking research is if you liberally misinterpret a few lines of dialogue taken out of context from a stolen email written by one tiny subset of climate warming researchers. What bothers me is that so many idiots out there are ready to jump on this "Global Warming is a Hoax!" bandwagon when there's less proof of a conspiracy than the existence of bigfoot.

Solution: Nuke the entirety of China.

Yeah, too bad that the entirety of China's carbon emissions is only a tiny fraction of the US' output over 100+ years of industrialization. China's yearly emissions has only recently surpassed the US', despite having 4x the population. Not to mention that a significant portion of those emissions are from factories serving American consumers. Lets take responsibility for our actions before we start blaming others, k?

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 2009, 00:27.

News Comments > Blizzard on Release Dates
44. Re: Blizzard on Release Dates Nov 25, 2009, 17:23 Yifes

You can pretend that you are having a good time, but I know I got under your skin - your petty insults prove as much.

You must be pretty blind if you miss the fact that I'm mocking you. Let me quote yourself again:

LMAO. I'm moving up in the world! Before I was just arrogant. Keep talking - I'm enjoying watching you make an ass out of yourself over this.

And speaking of getting under skins, this is the third time that you've mentioned how it's a waste of time for you, that you want to stop (Prez: "This is a complete and utter waste of time. I'm gone."); But you keeep. on. coming. back. If my words didn't get under your skin then why do you keep returning? Is it a lack of will and resolve? You're like a walking example of hypocrisy.

And thanks for confirming that you have no intention of ever addressing my points, because you can't. It's pretty obvious since you have weaseled yourself out of saying anything relevant in your last four post, and done nothing but try to salvage your wounded pride. You've now used the "it's simply my opinion" line which is the last ditch defense of those who cannot support their position with reason.

But thank you for showing me that you cling to the absolute infallibility of your position like a fanatic clings to religion. There's plenty of you out there, the creationists, the conspiracy theorists, the birthers, and that's fine with me. You have convinced me that you are a waste of time, and now I'm going to do what you were too weak to do: show you how to end this conversation.

I'm gone.
This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2009, 17:27.

42. Re: Blizzard on Release Dates Nov 25, 2009, 08:14 Yifes

No, but don't let that stop you from erroneously interpolating that from what I've said.

No, you said:

" Good project management is often crucial for the fiscal viability of the project and the company overall. Because Blizzard can basically print money, they are afforded the luxury of basically not having any project management to speak of."

So:

1. Fiscal viability of project depends on good management
2. Blizzard can print money and afford to have bad management.

Blizzard's projects have been viable since 1994 with the release of Warcraft. So they either have
1. Good management, or
2. they can print money since 1994, letting them afford bad management on all their projects. or
3. Blizzard has bad management, but not enough money to compensate for said bad management, but somehow has miraculously put out one amazing game after another.

Which one are you saying? Lets see you weasel away from answering this one by avoiding the point and bringing up unsupported argument that I'm twisting your words without ever providing a clarification to what you actually mean. At least I give you the courtesy of clarifying my points to you when you misunderstand what I'm saying.

Keep talking - I'm enjoying watching you make an ass out of yourself over this.

Don't worry, I've been enjoying watching you, a small business manager of PLC projects, make an ass of yourself by thinking that you know how to manage better than people who have built a multibillion dollar company from scratch, even though you know nothing about the inner workings of the company! You're not in the same league, you're not even playing the same sport as Blizzard. But keep believing in your own superiority; It's your sheer arrogance that keeps this so entertaining !

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2009, 13:20.

40. Re: Blizzard on Release Dates Nov 25, 2009, 00:21 Yifes

My apologies for that misquote. It was unintentional. Way to flip out on that one, saying i'm deliberately misrepresenting you and what not. You should read the stuff you write: "Fine. I'm arrogant because I believe good management is superior to bad management." Nice summary of what I wrote. You're arrogant and a hypocrite.

I have edited my post to reflect the changes:

" Good project management is often crucial for the fiscal viability of the project and the company overall. Because Blizzard can basically print money, they are afforded the luxury of basically not having any project management to speak of."

The point is still the same: Blizzard has put out 11 great products up to and including vanilla WOW, before WOW started making money. Are you saying they all got away with shitty management for all 11 projects, because Blizz was "printing money" since 1994?

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2009, 01:19.

38. Re: Blizzard on Release Dates Nov 24, 2009, 23:19 Yifes

Fine. I'm arrogant because I believe good management is superior to bad management.

I said you're arrogant because you have absolute faith in the self righteousness of your mainstream ideology, excluding all others as flawed and inferior. You have shown that you know nothing about Blizzard's management beyond the fact that they do not have deadlines. You assert that: " Good project management is often crucial for the fiscal viability of the project and the company overall. Because Blizzard can basically print money, they are afforded the luxury of basically not having any project management to speak of." , even though every single one of Blizzard's games came out before WOW started making money.Finally, that you would twist my words into such a retarded paraphrase, is, in retrospect, quite commensurate with your arrogance.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2009, 00:43.

36. Re: Blizzard on Release Dates Nov 24, 2009, 22:38 Yifes

Disagree. Completely. Their ideology is absolutely inferior to the more mainstream one I uphold.

This attitude is the reason why I called you arrogant. Blizzard didn't start with infinite money, so your assertion that this ideology depends on money is not correct. I never said that your ideology isn't mainstream. I merely challenged your assumption that it is the ONLY way of doing business.

Also, your assumption that "when it's done" = inefficient and lazy development is unsupported, since you do not know the work ethics around the Blizzard offices.

Poor management skills get you Daikatana and DNF, not Starcraft.

Incorrect correlation yet again. I know the most gifted engineer where I work - she can learn any software, any control system, and be programming at maximum efficiency at an astonishing rate. But she can't manage a lemonade stand. These are COMPLETELY different skill sets.

Actually, you shot yourself in the foot with this one. And your example was quite irrelevant. 3D realms and Ion Storm's management problems are well documented and well known. This is not some assumption based on outside perception, but actual employee testimonial. They both had plenty of cash, and poured way more money down the drain than Blizz have spent on their games. Your assumption that Blizzard can overcome poor management by throwing cash at is unsupported.

34. Re: Blizzard on Release Dates Nov 24, 2009, 22:13 Yifes

Really, in the end, I just feel that you need to have worked for Blizzard, or at least witness their management and understand their corporate culture before you can criticize them for being "terrible". I don't see how, as a manager yourself, you can so freely insult another company's management simply because they have the privileged of adopting a "when it's done" attitude and make it work.

Like I said, poor management skills get you Daikatana and DNF, not Starcraft.

33. Re: Blizzard on Release Dates Nov 24, 2009, 22:03 Yifes

Blizzard is the extreme rare case where it isn't, but his doesn't change the fact that they have poor management skills, or at least poorer than such a highly regarded company ought to.

I don't see it as poor management skills, more as a different design philosophy. Blizzard games are known for their gameplay, which is achieved through their iterative process. Blizzard stops the iterative process of improvement when they are happy with their progress. In order to make this iterative development suit your model of management, it would be stopped before this point, conceivably compromising quality. This quality is essentially Blizzard's strongest asset, which contributes to Blizz's longevity and popularity (ie. E-Sports).

Blizzard has the money to implement their iterative project development to their desired conclusion, which is an alternative, not an inferior, ideology to the one that you advocate. My view that this is an alternative developmental process is supported by the fact that Blizz can, and have, met deadlines on expansion packs, once the core game and foundation have been laid down to their satisfaction.

Poor management skills get you Daikatana and DNF, not Starcraft.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2009, 22:07.

865 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo