Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Yifes

Real Name Yifes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Yifes
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 21, 2002, 00:39
Total Comments 883 (Graduate)
User ID 15316

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout New Vegas Details
10. Re: Fallout New Vegas Details Feb 7, 2010, 14:03 Yifes

I'm definetly down for some more FO1/2 like gameplay from guys originally on the FO1/2 teams.

It's still going to play like FO3, albeit with some better writing and a plot that doesn't suck.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Another Alpha Protocol Delay
23. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 7, 2010, 13:48 Yifes

Obsidian's one failing's always been their inability to deliver a finished game. At least in KotOR2's case that wasn't their fault (LucasArts gave them 11 months to make that game). If Sega wants to make sure this game's finished, more power to them.

Wasn't NWN2 and Mask of the Betrayer pretty reasonably finished? I bought the two as a bundle off of D2D so I don't know what the game was like at release, but I don't think anything significant was left out that I'd hold it against them. It seems like everyone's still bashing them for KotOR2, and basing all of their prejudices off of that one game, which is pretty fucking annoying.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2010, 13:49.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 a "Blockbuster"
57. Re: Mass Effect 2 a Feb 5, 2010, 16:35 Yifes

Mostly just optional dialog or ways out of situations

Example: Without Import when first meeting tali, you can't tell her you gave her the geth data

If you import a save, and did. You can tell her and they lower their weapons instantly ,p Thats about the scope of the effects... not earth shattering

Thanks for the info!

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas in Fall
38. Re: Fallout: New Vegas This Fall Feb 5, 2010, 00:00 Yifes

Oh waah waah. Poor little Obsidian being picked on. They are just powerless to resist. Sorry, but that's not how it works. They were scared of making their publishers mad, and the customers paid the price. Publishers almost always pressure developers to do more, to release sooner, and so on. It's a reality of development.

No dude. It's just fucking retarded to think that a new developer working on their very first project has enough money to fund their own development when publisher funds run out. Bioware has the $ to extend their development schedule. Blizzard has the $ to do it. God knows 3d Realms had the money to keep DNF development going for decades. If you run out of money, then it's either A) ship the game or B) your project gets cancelled and you go bankrupt like 3DR. Publishers can only pressure you when you need their money.

KOTOR 2 was Obsidian's maiden project. They had no money from previous games to fall back on when it's time to pay the rent and feed the kids. It doesn't excuse them from releasing a broken game but it's economic realities, not some stupid "they don't want to make their publishers mad!" bullshit like you imagine.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2010, 01:03.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Midnight Madness
45. Re: Star Trek Online Midnight Madness Feb 4, 2010, 22:29 Yifes

An MMO is about inhabiting a fictional universe. You have to feel like you are there. Clicking on a map and loading an instance with random players and blasting whatever's there, repeating endlessly, is not an MMO. More importantly, it's not Star Trek.

Maybe Cryptic and Atari are aiming for the mainstream pew pew JJ Abrams summer blockbuster crowd and doesn't give a shit what Star Trek really is.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2010, 22:29.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 a "Blockbuster"
55. Re: Mass Effect 2 a Feb 4, 2010, 22:12 Yifes

If you don't use an old saved game, what are the "default" choices ME2 assume you make? What kind of difference do these choices make on the story? Can some one please give an example? I'd use a saved game from that website someone mentioned earlier, but I don't want to start off ME2 with an overpowered Shepard.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2010, 22:12.

35. Re: Fallout: New Vegas This Fall Feb 4, 2010, 21:25 Yifes

Obsidian crumbles at the first sign of pressure from their publisher to release. During the development of KOTOR, LucasArts kept pushing BioWare to release the game, but BioWare basically told them to chill out and it'd be released when it is ready. When it came time for KOTOR2, LucasArts tried the same thing with Obsidian and Obsidian went "YES MASTA PLEASE DON WHIP ME NO MO."

Obsidian is a good company with tons of talent but their titles are always pushed out the door too soon, and since other developers working with the same publishers don't have the same problems... I have to lay the blame with Obsidian"

Yeah, it's a wonder how a large established developer with lots of money does a better job of resisting publisher pressures than a newly founded small developer like Obsidian. Rolleyes What a stupid thing to say.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2010, 21:27.

30. Re: Fallout: New Vegas This Fall Feb 4, 2010, 18:28 Yifes

Well, seriously, it really depends on what kind of gamer you are. If you do not care about multiplayer then you are 100% right in saying that the NWN 2 OC was infinitely better than the über shitty NWN 1 OC. If you are into modding and multiplayer, however, the situation is exactly reversed.

Except you can't say Bioware did a better job on NWN because of all the extra content made for it post release. You're comparing apples to oranges now.

25. Re: Fallout: New Vegas This Fall Feb 4, 2010, 16:07 Yifes

The only two games from Obsidian that I'm familiar with are Knights of the Old Republic 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2. Both of which I remember as being decent, but pale in comparison to the original titles.

Are you crazy? The original NWN was such garbage that, even though NWN2 is only decent, it's leagues better than the piece of crap that Bioware put out.

News Comments > BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers
21. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 21:24 Yifes

With Irrational and Ken Levine out of the picture on this one, I have no expectations for this game.  

News Comments > Apple iPad Announced
60. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 27, 2010, 20:31 Yifes

My iphone has multitasking. It's called Backgrounder and you can get it once you jailbreak your phone. The ipad will have multitasking too.  

News Comments > Activision Thought $7M for Blizzard was "Insane"
40. Re: Activision Thought $7M for Blizzard was Jan 20, 2010, 06:30 Yifes

So I guess you'd have nothing bad to say about guys like Hitler, Stalin, Bundy, etc. etc. I mean, after all, you really don't know them, and neither did most people so how dare they go around calling them names!

You're seriously invoking fucking Hitler when talking about Kotik? Because you know, running Activision and killing 6 million Jews, close enough.

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2010, 06:42.

News Comments > Avatar Game: What Went Wrong
81. Re: Avatar Game: What Went Wrong Jan 17, 2010, 20:14 Yifes

The fact that the movie has some unrealistic (or at least unlikely) scenes doesn't bother me at all...it's a movie not a documentary, nor does a claim to be a 100% accurate account of Army EOD personnel. It's a movie that is meant to entertain and IMO it succeeds greatly in this area. If some EOD soldier is disappointed by the movies lack of realism maybe someone should tell him it's not a History Channel documentary, it's a movie.

Right, and it wouldn't have bothered me either if the movie wasn't billed and hyped for its realism. For a movie that takes itself so seriously, the blatant ridiculousness of the plot takes away from the overall experience.

RT is looking at several reviews for a given movie, it's not "blindly jumping onto whatever critcis bandwagon is the most popular at the moment". That's the whole point of using several review sources and not relying on any particular one.

Yeah, RT looks at several reviews and tracks the general trend of critic opinion in the form of fresh or rotten. Using an artificial aggregate of overall critic opinion as the basis to form your judgement is blindly following critics' trends, hence my reference to jumping on the overall critics' bandwagon as opposed to blindly following one critic's voice in particular.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2010, 20:18.

80. Re: Avatar Game: What Went Wrong Jan 17, 2010, 20:08 Yifes

It was good...what do you like about it that would make you describe it as "awesome"? I thought Fight Club was much better, as far as Brad Pitt movies go. Is your opinion of the movie slanted because it's a Tarantino movie? Just wondering.

I love Tarantino's dialog. The first act with the Jew Hunter was haunting and brilliant. Also, I wouldn't consider it a Brad Pitt movie because it has more of an ensemble cast.

49. Re: Avatar Game: What Went Wrong Jan 17, 2010, 11:30 Yifes

. I thought it was a great movie and very believable. For an EOD soldier that's disarmed 800+ bombs I don't find it a far reach that's he'd start to get a little comfortable in his job.

Nope. The movie has been heavily criticized by the military and actual EOD personnel for its ridiculously unrealistic plot. James, the main character would have been fired a long time ago for his recklessness.

Here's one vet's take on the movie:

http://www.vetvoice.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=2975

Anyways, you seem to get wayyy to hung up on RT scores. There actually an article I read recently on the critical backlash against Avatar. It's interesting that when the movie first came out, critics raved about it. As time went by and the enormous popularity of the movie became apparent, Avatar suddenly became the movie that's cool to hate on. Anyways, what I meant to say is that it's better to form your own opinions about a movie than to blindly jump on to whatever critics bandwagon is the most popular at the moment.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2010, 11:35.

43. Re: Avatar Game: What Went Wrong Jan 17, 2010, 10:46 Yifes

Do you honestly think the opinion of you and a few of your friends holds more weight than the opinion of dozens of reviewers on a website like Rotten Tomatoes? You do know what Rotten Tomatoes is right?

To be fair, critics darlings aren't always great movies. Personally I didn't like the Hurt Locker because for a movie so lauded for its realism, the slick slo-mo hollywoodesque explosions and the ridiculous and unprofessional actions of a maverick member of an EOD team is just so far away from real life that it was a huge turn off. It's like the movie tries so hard to induce gratuitous drama and the tension is so contrived that you just can't help but roll your eyes.

Finally, 82% on RT is pretty good, and I have already stated the main flaws of Avatar. If you honestly can't enjoy a movie because it only has a 82% RT rating, then I feel sorry for you. And if you're going to go see Avatar, 3d is the only way to go.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2010, 11:00.

12. Re: Avatar Game: What Went Wrong Jan 16, 2010, 21:25 Yifes

The GEICO Cavemen wrote on Jan 16, 2010, 21:15:
Even the movie for all the box office success it's seen doesn't have the best review scores in the world:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/

Haven't seen it myself, any of you guys like it?

Compare that to stuff like "The Dark Knight", "Iron Man", or "The Hurt Locker".

Avatar doesn't transcend genres like the Dark Knight, it's not a well crafted origins story like Iron Man, and it doesn't have the brutal realism of the Hurt Locker. There are some pretty obvious flaws in Avatar, and your enjoyment of the movie chiefly depends on how much these flaws bother you: 1. the plot has been told many times before and is far from perfect this time around, and 2. its message is heavy handed, almost in-your-face preaching. But James Cameron does again what he does best: uses never before seen technology to create an action movie that blows your face away.

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2010, 21:29.

10. Re: Avatar Game: What Went Wrong Jan 16, 2010, 21:18 Yifes

Darks wrote on Jan 16, 2010, 20:58:
This game failed because it has limited installs. More Bullshit DRM killed this game for me. they can scratch their heads all they want but the DRM killed this game.

If only the PC didn't have DRM, then the massive sales on the pc, which we all know is the dominant platform, would have totally made up for the game's poor sales on consoles. RIGGGGGGHHHHTTTTT........

News Comments > New DoW2 Chaos Rising Units
3. Re: New DoW2 Chaos Rising Units Jan 12, 2010, 21:56 Yifes

The 40K mmo was announced back in 2007, to be released sometime in 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40k_Online

News Comments > Irrational Games Name Revived
16. Re: Irrational Games Name Revived Jan 9, 2010, 02:18 Yifes

X-COM please. Fuck spec ops.  

883 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo