Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Yifes

Real Name Yifes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Yifes
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 21, 2002, 00:39
Total Comments 881 (Graduate)
User ID 15316

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans
12. Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 9, 2010, 16:29 Yifes

I would have found Starcraft 1 excellent had it come out before sex.

I would have found sex excellent had it come out before your mom. Now nothing will ever be the same.

Just kidding!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Jagged Alliance Series Acquired, Jagged Alliance 3 Announced
16. Re: Jagged Alliance Series Acquired, Jagged Alliance 3 Announced Mar 9, 2010, 16:20 Yifes

I just wish there was a way to fast forward enemy turns, or just skip all action that's not visible. Even with the enemy animation speed set at x2, turns can take forever to resolve when you have 50+ enemies + additional militia.  

News Comments > StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans
4. Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 9, 2010, 12:55 Yifes

I think I would have found this game excellent had it come out before Company of Heroes.

I think I would have found CoH excellent had it come out before Starcraft 1.

News Comments > Jagged Alliance Series Acquired, Jagged Alliance 3 Announced
8. Re: Jagged Alliance Series Acquired, Jagged Alliance 3 Announced Mar 9, 2010, 12:44 Yifes

Make it real-time. Turn-based is so boring.

DIE IN A FIRE!!

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Server Fixes Follow-up
30. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Server Fixes Follow-up Mar 8, 2010, 18:55 Yifes

Unless you don't like spending 10 minutes attempting to get into a game.

Find a few good servers you can favorite (if you can). Problem solved.

My biggest gripe is the bad autobalancing. Most of my games end up with one team having an overwhelming player advantage and just rolling over the other team.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2010, 19:03.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Server Fixes
23. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Server Fixes Mar 7, 2010, 11:36 Yifes

If I download and install PB separately from the PB website do you guys know if that will work with the Steam version of the game?

Yes it works and you should do it. Run pbsetup, add BC2 and check for updates. I still got kicked for pb problems on some severs. I guess they didn't update themselves.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Server Fixes
21. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Server Fixes Mar 7, 2010, 11:08 Yifes

So I figure I'll try the multi-player..."log in or create EA account"...you have got to be f#cking kidding me!

Is it really that bad to enter an email and a password? The multiplayer is definitely worth the 10 seconds of trouble.

News Comments > Op Ed
30. Re: Op Ed Feb 28, 2010, 14:54 Yifes

shponglefan wrote on Feb 28, 2010, 10:31:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 28, 2010, 03:44:
If a game doesn't give you any meaningful choices, it can't be a role-playing game.

Why not? Other than your own say-so, you haven't given any reasons for this.

It seems you've defined RPG based on solely on earlier Western CRPGs, which grew out of PnP RPGs.

Doesn't the term RPG originate from PnP? If so, then it's reasonable to apply the features of PnP and Western RPGs to the definition of a RPG. It always seemed to me that JRPGs are misnomer, and since then, the term RPG has only been misused more and more, with ever broadening definitions, so that it has lost most of its original meaning.

Like i said three times now, it's not strictly leveling. It's a combination of character-leveling mechanics (usually revolving around combat) and adventure-style story/quest driven gameplay.

This is still ridiculously broad, with criteria open to wildly different interpretations. There are RPGs without adventure style stories (like some tactical RPGs which are just a series of missions), and there are multiplayer shooters with quest driven gameplay (ie. take this objective, get experience, level up). It seems like all you're doing is drawing arbitrary lines in the sand.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2010, 15:10.

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Feb 28, 2010, 14:25 Yifes

Zyrxil wrote on Feb 28, 2010, 12:41:
Evil Timmy wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 17:46:
If that's all you do in ME2's combat sequences, try cranking up the difficulty. At one notch above normal, not only is nearly every battle a real challenge, but enemies will move up and flank, and they're a serious enough threat to force you to move. Even early on, I found myself tactically repositioning my squaddies around corners and such to cover my retreats and advances, just so I wouldn't get slaughtered. It really makes the game a lot better, when you're not nigh invincible and you've actually gotta consider how you play, rather than hiding in one spot or just unloading and counting on superior firepower.
Hahahaha. Oh, I almost thought you were serious. Even at Insanity, the only difference is that enemies tend to have 3 health bars- health/armor/shield, instead of just the basic health. No flanking done, everything is the same, but you take a ton more damage.

Just finished my first game, on hardcore. The only "flanking" the AI ever does is if the enemies spawn at two different points on the map and then proceed to head towards you along paths made predictable by limited map design and availability of cover.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2010, 15:06.

News Comments > StarCraft II Beta Scheduling
9. Re: StarCraft II Beta Scheduling Feb 26, 2010, 22:36 Yifes

Flipper405 wrote on Feb 26, 2010, 22:05:
kxmode wrote on Feb 26, 2010, 14:01:
I gave up on multi-player. Too many overly skilled RTS players to make it even remotely fun! I'll just wait until the single-player game is out.

I also had this concern - isn't the matchmaking system supposed to help alleviate this to some extent?

Hopefully it'll work better than Warcraft 3's. Also, it was mentioned in an interview that SC2 is going to have some multiplayer training maps, and a lot more casual friendly maps and options in the editor. I think they've learned a huge lesson from WOW in the need to make their games more accessible.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced
47. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced Feb 18, 2010, 21:09 Yifes

I think you're missing the point - that the hasty generalization originally presented was so entirely one sided as to invalidate the premise.

I tried to present this by simply reversing the objects of the arguments presented (Apaches for spear men), which in my opinion makes the new argument just as ridiculous or just as plausible as the original statement.

I guess in the end the problem lies with trying to rationalize Civ's abstract gameplay.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced
45. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced Feb 18, 2010, 20:56 Yifes

Really?

How many Apaches? I don't know how many Sid Meier imagines but I'd guess a thousand, maybe ten thousand. What weapon does an spearman have that will take care of all them? And what if they don't conveniently all fly in one place?

What if they take refuge hundreds of feet in the air and pick the spearman off when they're on the ground. If they have the sense to fight the battle on their terms, as they're perfectly capable of doing, the spearman on their own aren't much use.

See how that works?

No. Look at the size of ancient armies vs. how many spearmen you see in game. It's conceivable that one unit in game represents thousands of spearmen. Only ~1k apaches were ever made. You can't possibly say that 1 apache unit in game also represents thousands of actual helicopters. By your logic Sid meier will be imagining thousands or tens of thousands of aircraft carriers =/

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2010, 21:05.

News Comments > StarCraft II Beta System Specs
11. Re: StarCraft II Beta System Specs Feb 17, 2010, 21:42 Yifes

You're telling me you've been at college for eight years (the age of your processor) and between summer and part time work you couldn't gather $150 for a new CPU? I call bull shit.

No, he's saying he's in college now and doesn't have the money to waste on CPUs since up until now it's been working just fine for him. A $150 upgrade just to play SC2 isn't exactly cheap.

Why play a buggy unbalanced and unfinished game anyways? Seems like a good way to ruin the game for yourself.

News Comments > Op Ed
65. Re: Op Ed Feb 17, 2010, 20:10 Yifes

@Dmitri_M
Yeah, a fraction wider. I still think he's better off buying a 40inch LCD with that setup. To really get anything out of 3 monitors the setup should be horizontal. That's a truly unique way of playing.

Selective read much? Way to miss the fact that he does play with a horizontal setup, and totally ignore why he has his monitors in vertical position in those screenshots.

Here's an assumption for you, I think he's getting cash from ATI to promote Eyefinity.

Exactly. Which is why he's also excited about Nvidia's upcoming offering. Rolleyes

@space captain

know what i love? the fact that you are blind to humor

enjoy that

Oh trust me, I find that your posts are great for a good laugh =D

News Comments > Op Ed
39. Re: im am better than everyone on the planet Feb 13, 2010, 22:11 Yifes

can we have less people whining about opinions they dont agree with?

I'm not saying I don't agree with it. I haven't tried Eyefinity but it seemed that the only informed opinion I read was [H]'s. I'd like to know why it's bad besides vague accusations and the prohibitive cost.

*edit. Also I love the irony of the constant bitching and whining about how people bitch and whine =P Nice try though.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2010, 22:28.

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Feb 13, 2010, 21:23 Yifes

Also, that HARDOCP vertically tilted 3 monitor setup is dumb. Don't graphics drivers rotate the picture on some software level? And in essence he's not really gaining a truly wide view, he's just taking a standard 16:10 view and sizing it up with two monitor bezels uncomfortably close to the centre of the picture.

The vertically tilted 3 monitor setup gives you an aspect ratio of 1.875, which is wider than 16:9 and 16:10. And he explains his setup:

"I went with the portrait mode as I want a lot of vertical pixels for editing documents and this configuration allowed me more than the 1600 pixels I had before with the Dell 3007 at 2560x1600"

I definitely wish for more vertical space when i'm working and his setup makes a lot of sense considering that he runs a website. But way to make assumptions from some screenshots without bothering to read anything.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2010, 21:37.

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed Feb 13, 2010, 21:07 Yifes

Can we have some opinions from people who have actually tried Eyefinity instead of all the unsupported bashing of [H] and the technology?

I'm amazed and disappointed that a site as well regarded as [H] don't actually mention the true reason behind the decision and instead concentrate on the pixel count which has bugger all to do with it. It is an ironic developer name but that's not really the issue here. [H], wtf?

Except it is mentioned in their Eyefinity review. Maybe for their editorial they just omitted the obvious.

News Comments > Work at Runic Games
1. Re: Work at Runic Games Feb 10, 2010, 20:57 Yifes

What they desperately need, more than anything else, is a writer.  

News Comments > Fallout New Vegas Details
10. Re: Fallout New Vegas Details Feb 7, 2010, 14:03 Yifes

I'm definetly down for some more FO1/2 like gameplay from guys originally on the FO1/2 teams.

It's still going to play like FO3, albeit with some better writing and a plot that doesn't suck.

News Comments > Another Alpha Protocol Delay
23. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 7, 2010, 13:48 Yifes

Obsidian's one failing's always been their inability to deliver a finished game. At least in KotOR2's case that wasn't their fault (LucasArts gave them 11 months to make that game). If Sega wants to make sure this game's finished, more power to them.

Wasn't NWN2 and Mask of the Betrayer pretty reasonably finished? I bought the two as a bundle off of D2D so I don't know what the game was like at release, but I don't think anything significant was left out that I'd hold it against them. It seems like everyone's still bashing them for KotOR2, and basing all of their prejudices off of that one game, which is pretty fucking annoying.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2010, 13:49.

881 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo