Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Yifes

Real Name Yifes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Yifes
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 21, 2002, 00:39
Total Comments 865 (Graduate)
User ID 15316

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > DNF Next Year
31. Re: DNF Next Year Sep 3, 2010, 21:35 Yifes

Verno wrote on Sep 3, 2010, 17:18:
Care to place a wager on a cover system too?

Now don't be silly. There's already videos of the gameplay out.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Portal 2's Dropped Competitive Multiplayer
29. Re: On Portal 2's Dropped Competitive Multiplayer Sep 1, 2010, 17:34 Yifes

elefunk wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 16:44:
I honestly don't give a shit about the competitive community! Team Fortress 2 is fucking fun, imagine that.

But then, those CS numbers basically prove you're spouting bullshit.

TF2 would still be fun if they fixed all the crap that makes it a bad competitive game.

News Comments > StarCraft II Sells 3M
21. Re: StarCraft II Sells 3M Sep 1, 2010, 16:57 Yifes

Creston wrote on Sep 1, 2010, 16:47:
I finally bit the bullet and bought it with a 10 buck gift card (essentially making it 50 bucks for me :P), and I have to say that though I enjoyed the campaign, I got REALLY fucking irritated that 80% of the missions are fucking timed.

I don't want to be fucking timed. If I want to take 5 hours to do one map, let me take 5 hours to do one map. but nope. There's always something in every single damn mission that means you have to blindly crank out disposable units, throw them in the damn grinder, and hope you'll have some left by the end.

I'd have much preferred a few more of the "here's some resources, there's an enemy base, go kill it," missions.

Creston

It's one way to make the game harder, and you can always drop the difficulty to give yourself more time or ignore the timed optional mission objectives. There's really not much challenge (or difference from the Dune II days) if all you do is sit back and defend until you move out with your maxed army.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2010, 17:07.

News Comments > Valve Plans 3 "Big Surprises"
45. Re: Valve Plans 3 Sep 1, 2010, 16:36 Yifes

This deserves the "We know you love valvetime so now you can wait while you wait" meme treatment.  

19. Re: StarCraft II Sells 3M Sep 1, 2010, 16:16 Yifes

Drezden wrote on Sep 1, 2010, 15:42:
He forgets that Black Ops will end that momentum within a week of it being released.

Unlikely. Modern Warfare 2 PC only moved 170k copies at retail during its first month.

And sales figures overall suggests PC accounting for < 10% of worldwide sales, so < 2 million to date.

I doubt Black Ops will do significantly better.

18. Re: StarCraft II Sells 3M Sep 1, 2010, 16:07 Yifes

Nomaar wrote on Sep 1, 2010, 11:39:
I'm not a rts guy, but this game really has me curious. Would someone who usually doesn't like rts games have any hope of getting enjoyment out of this game?

You may be frustrated by some of the more traditional RTS missions and mechanics, but there's a ton of variety. For example, one mission puts you in command of 4 hero units mowing down swarms of zerg in a RPG style dungeon crawl. The variety and excellent presentation makes the SP campaign more fun than any previous RTS to date IMO.

Besides, you get to play with custom maps online, which are awesome.

News Comments > Elemental/PC Gamer Follow-up
77. Re: Elemental/PC Gamer Follow-up Aug 30, 2010, 14:26 Yifes

Verno wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 14:02:
Yifes wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 13:41:
...Which is what can be said about pretty much every MMO release, and hardly unique to Cataclysm.

Except that in the context his point was relevant because he felt that Cataclysm was a departure from the normal cycle. Whether hes right or wrong will be determined at release.

Except that we weren't talking about the point kxmode made. My bad then for not being clear. But it's interesting that kxmode thinks its a departure when you jump in and say that it's business as usual for Blizzard's non beta process. Seems like you should be arguing against kxmode too

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2010, 14:38.

75. Re: Elemental/PC Gamer Follow-up Aug 30, 2010, 13:41 Yifes

Verno wrote on Aug 29, 2010, 21:58:
Sure it does, the beta and retail are nearly indistinguishable. Beta receives more changes in a faster time period, that's the only difference.

...Which is what can be said about pretty much every MMO release, and hardly unique to Cataclysm.

Anyways, sad to hear that Elemental is a waste of time.

73. Re: Elemental/PC Gamer Follow-up Aug 29, 2010, 20:15 Yifes

Verno wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 18:54:
Maybe you are new to MMO beta's, particularly Blizzard beta's...they introduce things, they change, tweak and possibly even remove altogether.

Maybe you are new to Blizzard MMOs but thats how the non-beta process goes too Smitten2

... which doesn't affect his point at all, regarding WOW or any other MMO for that matter.

Such a monster thread already... does Elemental have any potential?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Mafia II
52. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mafia II Aug 24, 2010, 13:25 Yifes

Donkey_Punch wrote on Aug 24, 2010, 13:18:
I smell a whole lot of judgmental Christians in this thread talking about morality and accusations of thievery.

The guy has already told you he never intended to buy the game because of lack of coop/multiplayer. It is not a lost sale. He also did not take someone's physical property and deprive them of their enjoyment of it.

Yeah, because the fact that you can just pirate and play a single player only game for free has absolutely no influence on his policy to only pay for games with coop/multiplayer Rolleyes2

It has nothing to do with religion. Pirates can go fuck themselves.

News Comments > DOTA TM Controversy
15. Re: DOTA TM Controversy Aug 17, 2010, 18:37 Yifes

007Bistromath wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 17:06:
If anything, Valve taking on the project to make a standalone game out of it will make it more free to the public.

/facepalm. No. Valve taking an already free community made game, and trademarking it and selling it to the public does not in any way shape or form make it more free.

I neither have nor want Warcraft III, so I've never touched DotA. I barely know what it is.

Your ignorance is quite obvious.

14. Re: DOTA TM Controversy Aug 17, 2010, 18:31 Yifes

Verno wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 17:50:
Do you have a source for that? I used to be a pretty avid DotA player but it's been awhile so my memory might be hazy. I recall Pendragon creating the website for DotA but not working on the actual map before Icefrog. Either way, didn't the old author hand over the reigns directly to Icefrog, not Pendragon or etc? In terms of how that was done I have no idea, I suspect it was pretty informal.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3966/postmortem_defense_of_the_ancients.php

"Drawing inspiration from a popular Starcraft mod known as Aeon of Strife, the first version of DotA was released in the middle of 2003 by an individual known only by his pseudonym "Eul".

"Many spinoffs of the original DotA were created with vastly superior sets of features, including the first versions of Steve "Guinsoo" Feak's Defense of the Ancients: Allstars which is the focus of this postmortem."

Icefrog only started working on DotA: Allstars after ~version 6. Like the article says, no single person has ownership of the name, and Valve trying to trademark "DOTA" because they hired the last guy in a long chain of guys who've worked on DotA is pretty stupid.

In any case, League of Legends is a great (and FREE) game, and I wish Guinsoo, Pendragon the best in their upcoming legal battle.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2010, 18:42.

11. Re: DOTA TM Controversy Aug 17, 2010, 17:04 Yifes

Zyrxil wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 15:38:
Well, it is. Icefrog created the original DotA. Valve hired Icefrog.

Wrong. Icefrog came along after Guinsoo and Pendragon. Icefrog started working on the map after version 6, and much of the game had already been established.

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Announced
46. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 8, 2010, 15:40 Yifes

PHJF wrote on Aug 6, 2010, 16:31:
Eh Torchlight just didn't do it for me. I love Diablo, sure... but only when I'm playing with people. Single player dungeon crawls need the spice afforded by party combat and management.

Agreed. Or at least some kind of story to keep you interested.

News Comments > QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions
36. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 8, 2010, 15:37 Yifes

Don't most Quake 3 players play CPMA Quake anyways? No idea who would actually pay to play vanilla Q3.  

News Comments > StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch
93. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 5, 2010, 20:12 Yifes

Prez wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 20:02:
Agreed, but you are not allowed to have that opinion because Yifes "Master of All Allowed Opinions" says you can't. Because HE says that 12 years is reasonable, then by GOD it is. Rolleyes2

I'm not belittling his opinion, merely pointing out that both of our opinions are irrelevant. My argument always has been that Blizzard also made Warcraft 3, and didn't spend 12 years on SC2. And I never said 12 years was reasonable, but you bitching about it for the last 2 years sure isn't.

A quick look in every Starcraft thread currently running shows Yifes arguing with someone. That alone should throw up red flags, but apparently squashing dissenting opinions if they go against your precious Blizzard keeps you him busy to notice.

I posted in StarCraft II Sells 1.5M and StarCraft II Figures That's 2 out of the 5 SC2 threads on the Popular Threads list, including this one. If you have a pathologic need to make shit up and launch personal attacks, then you can go fuck yourself. Your last sentence didn't even make sense.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 2010, 20:37.

91. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 5, 2010, 19:35 Yifes

Verno wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 19:26:
What you think of development is irrelevant Bobby

I know. That's why I'm telling you the facts, not giving you my opinion.

Of course not, this was all part of a study for a college class too and all that I'm sure.

Nope. There's no logical link between your assumption and my statement. Remember, the '?' indicates a question - not an assertion.

News Comments > More StarCraft II Sales Figures
83. Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 5, 2010, 19:29 Yifes

Verno wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 19:20:
That's not a complete list of units in the game, it doesn't even include two entire divisions of the factions. If we're comparing a modern game then we're including the expansions of a four year old title.

Maybe we should talk about the original COH, since we're talking only about Wings of Liberty here. Let's not compare apples to oranges here.

No, you are wrong again. There was no other at that time the capability to do battles on the scale of CoH with the same level graphical fidelity, physics and so on. It was a design decision and this is easily apparent when you install a few mods that up the unit count and see the engine limitations firsthand.

The ability of the engine to render units on screen does not affect how the units are grouped or controlled. Having the AI make decisions for individual soldiers require more processing power and taxes the engine more - refuting your argument that the lack of ability to control individual soldiers is due to the limitations of the engine.

I suspect if I posted one word ten times you would respond that many times just to have the last word so instead I will save us both the trouble.

I understand the desire to end this "discussion", and that's fine. Simply walking away and not responding is one way to do it. But using an offensive fallacy as your exit strategy, how very mature and classy of you Verno.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 2010, 19:51.

89. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 5, 2010, 19:12 Yifes

Verno wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 19:02:
That's 7 years if they started in 2003, not 5-6. You're welcome to your opinion but when I play Starcraft 2 I do not see a game that should have taken even half that time.

Having a handful of guys working on overall game design and concept art, while the majority of the team - the artists, the programmers, the producers, working on WOW does not constitute full development. And how much development time you think Starcraft 2 should've taken is irrelevant.

I doubt Prez and I even dwell in the same country but you've reached the obvious point of no return in this thread I see.

I wasn't being serious. I'll write things in all capitals next time to make it easier.

News Comments > More StarCraft II Sales Figures
81. Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 5, 2010, 19:07 Yifes

Verno wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 18:54:
I don't know how you came up with that figure, the base game alone has more without going into the expansion factions. Regardless, it was to illustrate the point that unit variety wasn't affected their design decisions.

Relic Wiki
Planet company of heroes

Hey, maybe the wiki is wrong and you actually know what you're talking about. And yeah, Axis and Allies has so much more variety than Zerg vs Protoss vs Terran. Because an allied sniper is so much different than an axis one Rolleyes

It's a real time strategy game based loosely on an actual conflict. Naturally you do not control individual soldiers in a unit as thats not feasible for game development.

You can argue it's a design choice, but saying controlling individual units are not feasible for game development is bullshit, considering it's done before for other WWII and militaristic RTSes. And if you're arguing that the choice was made because of the realistic setting, that's also bullshit since they debuted the system with DOW1.

The rest of your post is pointless nitpicking so I'm ignoring it.

Great reason.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 2010, 19:19.

865 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo