Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Yifes

Real Name Yifes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Yifes
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 21, 2002, 00:39
Total Comments 881 (Graduate)
User ID 15316

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Monday Night Combat Free Weekend
18. Re: Monday Night Combat Free Weekend Mar 18, 2011, 20:42 Yifes

nin wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 13:11:

How are the bots?

Thanks!

They're not bots as in AI replacements for human players. They are in game robot armies with rudimentary AI that spawn and march towards the opponent's base, like DOTA creep. You need to get your team's bots to the opponent's powerball to bring down their powerball's shields. You can farm bots to make more money, and you spend the money to upgrade your skills, purchase turrets, buy power ups and unique bots for your team.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Monday Night Combat Free Weekend Mar 17, 2011, 22:11 Yifes

Ant wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 22:03:
Yifes wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 21:56:
Ant wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 21:33:
So is this like Team Fortress 2 type of game?

3rd person team shooter set in DOTA like arenas with classes that resemble TF2. Fun, and very cheap.
Ah, so not a pure FPS action game. I couldn't get into DOTA type of games.

The mechanics are pure shooter though, and matches last about 10min. They just copied the "destroy your opponent's base" and computer controlled bots that spawn on your team aspects from DOTA. Definitely worth checking out for the free weekend. Good chance you'll like it if you liked TF2, and it's only $10!

4. Re: Monday Night Combat Free Weekend Mar 17, 2011, 21:56 Yifes

Ant wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 21:33:
So is this like Team Fortress 2 type of game?

3rd person team shooter set in DOTA like arenas with classes that resemble TF2. Fun, and very cheap.

News Comments > World of Tanks Launch Next Month
11. Re: World of Tanks Launch Next Month Mar 17, 2011, 20:31 Yifes

The grind in this game is ridiculous, and with only one game mode, it gets repetitive pretty fast. And grinding as a light tank is just not fun when you're higher tier and consistently get matched against heavies like the KV-1 and KV-3 that one shot you with ease. Sure you can try to rush the artillery, but any experienced team will be ready and waiting for you.

This comment was edited on Mar 17, 2011, 21:58.

News Comments > EA on The Old Republic vs WoW
18. Re: EA on The Old Republic vs WoW Mar 16, 2011, 21:51 Yifes

Elessar wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 11:24:
These comments are so generic and single-minded it's not even funny. It's like saying: Battlefield is CoD with vehicles, cause they both have guns.

Most games are derivatives of others. Simply because they have similar MMORPG elements like classes, talents, abilities (core RPG elements, mind you) doesn't mean they can't be entirely different from another game. Not to mention the stories, lore, settings will all be completely different. I could go on, but I shouldn't have to.

You are right that most games are derivatives of others, and certainly TOR distinguishes itself with its setting, player choices, and storytelling.

The problem I have with TOR, is that it still copies the MMO 1.0 gameplay model popularized by WOW. Just look at the gameplay innovations in FPS games. Sure we still shoot thing like in DOOM, but now we have games like Portal, Battlefield, and TF2. Meanwhile in TOR, you will still be killing 20 of X, standing there running through spell rotations as a DPS, managing aggro as a tank, watching health bars go up and down as a healer. It's old, it's boring, and frankly, I'm sick of that shit.

And the other thing TOR copies from WOW, is the end game grind. The end game is the most important and time consuming part of a MMO, and in TOR it's still about the gear treadmill. It doesn't matter if there's a great story when you play the same shit over and over again. TOR's innovations do not make the end game better, and it will undoubtedly have significantly less content than WOW.

TOR has not changed the style of gameplay or the mentality of the endgame. For the vast majority of gametime, it will play just like WOW, which is why I say fuck that.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2011, 22:12.

5. Re: EA on The Old Republic vs WoW Mar 15, 2011, 22:12 Yifes

space captain wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 22:07:
Riker wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 22:00:
A very ugly, overly-cartoony, un-Star-Wars-y suit.

yeh star wars is so gritty and dark, and super realistic

When Luke lost his hand, I was liek, OMG!

4. Re: EA on The Old Republic vs WoW Mar 15, 2011, 22:11 Yifes

"[Our game] is more about talking to characters, learning whatís going on, investing in it, getting emotionally attached to it. You can still go in accessible ways and grind out quests if you want, but at the same time thereís a higher-level story thatís carrying you through The Old Republic"

WOW also has a higher-level story. The problem is that when your player retention depends on the end game gear grind, nobody gives a fuck about your story. Who gives a shit when your jedi master tells you an emotional, fully voice acted story on why you should go out and collect 20 bantha pelts for your daily quest.

It might be fun to play the game once, but bioware's story innovations does nothing for lasting end game appeal.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer
27. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 13, 2011, 23:15 Yifes

Tumbler wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 18:23:
Hmm, that gameplay reminds me a lot of Dragon Age. You get these nice cinematic missions cut scenes, you go off fighting with a group (hopefully) you massacre waves and waves of baddies...it's all very familiar and if this was a SP game I think I'd be very excited...

But it feels like they've taken the basic formula for DA and made it Co-Op and locked it behind a subscription plan. Clever plan really, take a game like Dragon Age, give it a subscription, profit.

The gameplay is just like any cookie cutter MMO, except for the pre mission cutscenes.

News Comments > Warcraft III Patches
6. Re: Warcraft III Patches Mar 13, 2011, 14:44 Yifes

To be honest, I think the more noble thing to do for PC gaming would be let WoW die, so that all of those addicts will spread their PC gaming dollars around again possibly jump starting the industry.

That the money will stay in PC gaming is a pretty dumb assumption. MMOs and strategy games are the only genres the PC still has going for it. If WOW dies that'd be one less reason to play on the PC and we'd be losing to consoles even harder.

13. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 12, 2011, 21:39 Yifes

I wonder what differences dialog choices make. I'm guessing its all just a huge waste of time since the player doing the talking is chosen completely at random.  

4. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 12, 2011, 17:45 Yifes

PAX East Guild Wars 2 presentation on shakeycam (starts 14min in). Shitty quality but the game looks awesome. If GW2 comes out at the same time as Diablo 3 I'm going to be in trouble. Maybe I'll distract myself with SWTOR until that happens.  

1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 12, 2011, 17:08 Yifes

Looks like standard MMO formula with the holy trinity in action. I've seen nothing about this game that makes me want to play it.  

News Comments > The Old Republic Trailer, Guild Program Details
16. Re: The Old Republic Trailer, Guild Program Details Mar 12, 2011, 15:38 Yifes

Here's a dev walkthrough of Taral V from PAX, a mid level dungeon for 4 players. Looks like standard MMO conventions with the holy trinity in action. I've seen nothing about this game that makes me want to play it.  

News Comments > The Old Republic Trailer, Guild Program Details
2. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Guild Program Details Mar 11, 2011, 21:50 Yifes

Ew. I really hope they keep these space missions purely optional and separate from the rest of the game.  

News Comments > League of Legends Co-op versus A.I. Live
4. Re: League of Legends Co-op versus A.I. Live Mar 11, 2011, 02:50 Yifes

JohnBirshire wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 00:02:
I have no idea whatsoever why the developers don't replace dropped players with AI. At least then, if you and your teammates micro your butt off, you'll have a fighting chance instead of an automatic loss. Sometimes I wish I could just smash developers in the face with a brick for being retarded.

1. Good AI for 60+ unique heroes is hard to make. Did you even read the news post? They just implemented AI into the game, and not surprising the difficulty only goes up to intermediate.

2. Having a bad AI FEEDS the other team, and makes it WORSE than just playing 4v5. Teamwork in these kind of games is so crucial, there's no way I'd play with an AI on my team, even if we were down 1 person.

Can we please stop and think for 2 seconds before calling people retarded?

News Comments > 20 Years of Blizzard
29. Re: 20 Years of Blizzard Mar 8, 2011, 23:07 Yifes

Get down fanboy not all are up Facebookblizz azz , some have opened there eyes some not i see, relax inhail xhail , and all will be good ...gezzz

I see that Luke is still happily trolling away on FacebookBluesnews. Careful man, Mark Zuckerberg is out to get you for this post!

News Comments > 20 Years of Blizzard
28. Re: 20 Years of Blizzard Mar 8, 2011, 23:00 Yifes

Real stuff though, mind you; splitting Starcraft 2 apart, dropping lan support or selling horses on Wow doesn't count.

Again, the same old retarded arguments that never held any water. Yes man, JRR Tolkien is a total dick for splitting LOTR apart into 3 books. And the same with Star Wars, and every trilogy ever made.

News Comments > Guild Wars II Trailers
3. Re: Guild Wars II Trailers Mar 4, 2011, 12:44 Yifes

How does Guild Wars 1 hold up these days? The trilogy is up for $30 on steam. Thinking about giving it a try until 2 comes out.  

News Comments > RIFT Launches
57. Re: RIFT Launches Mar 2, 2011, 20:02 Yifes

Drezden wrote on Mar 1, 2011, 23:53:
RVR Worked fin in WAR, to a point. The keep battles were fun... But it got tedius. I kind of like the way this is done at the moment with Quest Hub towns that can flip sides depending on who owns the Wardstone.

RvR worked fine in WAR when the two sides were relatively balanced. There were servers where the population was so one-sided that people just ignored open world pvp and stuck to the scenarios. RvR just works better with 3 or more factions.

News Comments > RIFT Launches
42. Re: RIFT Launches Mar 1, 2011, 23:02 Yifes

Deepjay wrote on Mar 1, 2011, 16:26:
Whoever says Rift is not a PvP game...and moreso, that it was tacked on as an afterthought, is completely wrong. It's likely they never actually left the starting area.

Thanks for the info Deepjay and Drezden. And well said Steele Johnson. Despite how sexy Rift's renovations look, I don't know if the foundations have changed enough for me to commit. I will definitely check it out if the developers implement a RvR system, though I kinda doubt that a decent one can be made in a gameworld with only 2 factions.

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2011, 23:26.

881 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo