Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Yifes

Real Name Yifes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Yifes
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 21, 2002, 00:39
Total Comments 892 (Graduate)
User ID 15316

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > StarCraft II Patched
18. Re: StarCraft II Patched Mar 23, 2011, 17:52 Yifes

grudgebearer wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 17:39:
If you agree that they aren't the same, then why did you use it as an analogy and then get all butthurt when I said it was a horrible one?
I'll repeat myself, since you chose to ignore the relevant point: "No shit the experience is different. The point that you don't want to recognize is that both LOTR and SCII use the trilogy structure in storytelling, and there's nothing inherently wrong with the trilogy structure."

Are you trying to be obtuse again? CoD had multiple single-player campaigns packaged in a single game, which is exactly the opposite of what Blizzard is doing with Starcraft 2.

Are you being obtuse? I never said that playing as more than one race was exclusive to multiplayer.

Jesus, I just listed the FF games off the top of my head that I remembered the most about, but go ahead let's compare FF1-FF13, are you going to say that it is the same gaming experience over and over 13 times? No, ok, so it proves my point.

No it doesn't, because we're talking about SCII's expansions, not sequels. So it's pointless to debate with you that some of the games uses basically the same graphics engine and same turn based combat mechanics.

There's not even that much distinctly different between Starcraft 1 and Starcraft 2 as a whole, and you honestly believe the the storytelling mechanics of the Protoss and Zerg campaigns are going to be distinctly different from the mechanics of the Terran compaign?

Yes, unless you think Blizzard has a history of blatantly lying in their press releases. Of course, the degree of change is up to debate, but considering that the between mission cutscene format of story telling in RTS hasn't changed since the days of DUNE II, what WOL did was already quite a difference.

Ok, I'll give you that, given they haven't stated the pricing yet, Terran campaign was $60.00 retail at launch, what do you consider is an acceptable price for the other single player campaigns? Half, $29.99, so the full Starcraft 2 single player experience is worth $120.00?

Depends. Do you think the full SC1 single player experience was worth $90 or however much it was when SC1 and BW were first released? I do, so I'll probably say that $120 is worth it for something with 50% more content.

A trilogy Starcraft 2 is not, you can call it that all day long to make yourself feel better about your beloved Blizzard, but that won't change that fact. I gotta hand it to you for spearheading the idea on these boards for Blizzard though, your brand loyalty is commendable in a weird way.

Funny, cuz I hate every other franchise Blizzard produces. It's cute that you're trying to justify your own ignorance by making me out as a blizzard fanboi though.

This comment was edited on Mar 23, 2011, 17:57.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: StarCraft II Patched Mar 23, 2011, 17:24 Yifes

Jay wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 17:11:
You can't blame the players for expecting what's essentially the norm.

I'm not blaming players for wanting the norm. I'm blaming them for the ignorant out-of-touch-with-reality bullshit that they continue to spew even though the game has been out for 6 months.

Splitting a single game into 3 parts? What single RTS game in history has 3x the equivalent content of SC1 with 3 full storylines and ~90 missions? SC1 had 1 storyline, told from 3 perspectives.

Full priced games? Yeah lets just continue to bitch about something that was never true in the first place.

Only play as the humans? Yeah lets just ignore the fact that there's also a protoss campaign in the first game.

SCII:WOL is every bit the full game as SC1, except you don't get to play as the zerg in the campaign (the trade off is more than worth it though). But that's never what these people bitch about. I guess when enough lazy idiots repeat the same myths enough times, it becomes true for them.

This comment was edited on Mar 23, 2011, 17:40.

14. Re: StarCraft II Patched Mar 23, 2011, 17:01 Yifes

Movies and books /= video games

Agreed, but that wasn't your point when you quoted what a trilogy was. Are you intentionally trying to ignore what you said?

Again, horrible examples. CoD 1, 2, 3 all had multiple campaigns from differing perspective, American, British, Russian, etc.

And so does Wings of Liberty. You'd know if you played the game.

Final Fantasy...did you ever even play 1,2, and 3? How about 7, 9, and 12? Are you really proposing that those are all the same exact game with no changes in game engine, mechanics or graphics, really?

I like how you skipped quite a few FF games. Also, did you forget what I said about SCII's expansion having distinctly different structure, gameplay, and storytelling mechanics? Keep in mind, we're talking about SCII's expansions, so the point is moot anyways.

Lord of the Rings, really, a movie, that is what you are going to go back to let met put this in caps in red for you since for some reason you have a tough time understanding CINEMATIC EXPERIENCES ARE NOT THE SAME AS VIDEO GAME EXPERIENCES AND SHOULD NOT BE JUDGED AS SUCH

No shit the experience is different. The point that you don't want to recognize is that both LOTR and SCII use the trilogy structure in storytelling, and there's nothing inherently wrong with the trilogy structure.

The point is that you can't break a single game into thirds, charge full price for each portion, and say "Voila! Trilogy!" That's just not how it works.

Wrong again. They're not charging full price for the expansions (where do you get all these retarded assumptions anyways?), and considering each expansion has the story and content of a full game, it's hardly "breaking a single game into thirds".

This comment was edited on Mar 23, 2011, 17:12.

12. Re: StarCraft II Patched Mar 23, 2011, 16:30 Yifes

grudgebearer wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 16:21:
Yifes wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 16:03:
Wrong. Because, by your own definition: "A trilogy is three separate but complete works that are related. Hence, with star wars, you can watch each movie by itself and have a full movie experience."

It's not "my" definition of trilogy, it's the definition of a trilogy.

So, by the definition that you gave me, from google, it's a trilogy. What's your point?

Can you you name any other gaming franchise of 2 or more games where gameplay, graphics, or some other technology didn't change?
Call of Duty? Final Fantasy? How much did movie making technology and special effects change between the LOTOR movies?

Then at best it is an expansion on an existing game, not a trilogy.
No shit the other games are expansions. That's what they officially are. You think that Blizzard is trying to rip you off by releasing 2 expansions instead of one? Is that your problem? The story is in the form of a trilogy, told in 1 game and 2 expansions, so what's your point?

This comment was edited on Mar 23, 2011, 16:40.

10. Re: StarCraft II Patched Mar 23, 2011, 16:03 Yifes

grudgebearer wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 15:49:

I'll grab it when all three parts are out and the full game is being sold for a reasonable price. I played the demo, I have no problem waiting.

And having an ending to the campaign suddenly makes it a trilogy? At best, you could call the other two parts expansions, but a trilogy it is not, no matter how far you try to stretch it.

Wrong. Because, by your own definition: "A trilogy is three separate but complete works that are related. Hence, with star wars, you can watch each movie by itself and have a full movie experience."

Starcraft 2 Wings of Liberty is a full experience. It is the story of how Jim Raynor seeks redemption for what happened to Sarah Kerrigan. This gets resolved, and just like in a New Hope, it ends with a decisive victory on the part of the rebels that ties up the storyarch introduced in this portion of the trilogy.

But of course, you'd know this if you played the fucking game. And you ignored the fact that each expansion has its own distinct structure, gameplay and storytelling mechanics.

It's immediately obvious that you have never played the game, because otherwise you wouldn't be spewing so much ignorant bullshit.

Get the fuck out and come back when you know something.

This comment was edited on Mar 23, 2011, 16:17.

8. Re: StarCraft II Patched Mar 23, 2011, 15:36 Yifes

grudgebearer wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 15:31:
Yifes wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 15:22:

Wrong. Maybe you don't understand what a trilogy is.

A trilogy is three separate but complete works that are related. Hence, with star wars, you can watch each movie by itself and have a full movie experience.

Starcraft 2 on the otherhand, judging it against the precedence of the original and the common definition of a 'trilogy', is a single experience that has been broken into three parts.

Just because you split something into three portions, doesn't make it a trilogy there fanboi.

Have you even played the campaign? Probably not, because guess what? there's a conclusion to the Raynor-Tychus-Kerrigan storyarch. And calling Starcraft 2 a "single experience" is just ignorance, considering each expansion will have its own distinct structure and between mission storytelling mechanic.

Finally, before you start calling other people "fanboi", you might want to cover up your 40K avatar. Your prejudice is showing.

This comment was edited on Mar 23, 2011, 15:52.

6. Re: StarCraft II Patched Mar 23, 2011, 15:22 Yifes

grudgebearer wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 15:09:
Yifes wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 09:04:
I bet you were the one guy in 1977 who was pissed that Star Wars was going to be 3 movies. A trilogy, what a dumb idea.

Wow...worst analogy ever...

Wrong. It's a story told in 3 parts.

4. Re: StarCraft II Patched Mar 23, 2011, 09:04 Yifes

Tehol wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 00:34:
what about Korea? they like it as much as the original? breaking the campaign in three parts......dumb idea.

I bet you were the one guy in 1977 who was pissed that Star Wars was going to be 3 movies. A trilogy, what a dumb idea.

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Mar 22, 2011, 14:15 Yifes

Tumbler wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 13:39:
The problem with PC gaming as I see it is lack of any "rules" on pc gaming companies. They've basically realized that they can do whatever they want to their customers and no one really cares.

When pc game companies start treating their customers like they are appreciated rather than a nuisance that needs to be supported because they "paid for it" then I can see things getting better.

The first thing I look for now with any PC game coming out is the DRM. How are they going to try and fuck me this time.

Lets see new pc games that intersted me lately:
Starcraft 2 - Horrid DRM crap
Civ V - Horrid DRM Crap (bought it anyway)
DoW2: Retribution - steam only, lazy sequel stuff at this point
Shogun 2 - Steam play only! (horrid DRM in my book)

Personally, I've never had a problem with SC2's bnet or Steam, but I understand that it's a nuisance for some people. What I don't get is your strong hatred for such "horrid DRM crap", and it seems quite ridiculous to me. And considering that those games you listed are some of the best selling PC games of all time, I doubt that most consumers share your view that the industry is out to screw pc gamers.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2011, 14:27.

News Comments > Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW
44. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 21, 2011, 14:52 Yifes

bhcompy wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 14:35:
Which is why adults play EVE instead of WoW. We leave WoW to the kids who are bored with their 360s

You can play EVE for 1 hr a day? I've always thought that EVE was an even bigger timesink and waste of your life than WOW.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2011, 14:58.

News Comments > Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW
43. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 21, 2011, 14:51 Yifes

Icewind wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 14:22:
Diablo 3 has already been proven to be consolized. Why we are wasting our time reporting about a console baby game like D3 I have no idea.

Activision-Blizzard only makes kiddie console crap.

A console version in the works with the PC as the primary platform not= consolized. Besides, I don't see how Diablo 2's hack and slash clickfest can get any more "kiddie" and "consolized".

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2011, 15:00.

News Comments > Monday Night Combat Free Weekend
18. Re: Monday Night Combat Free Weekend Mar 18, 2011, 20:42 Yifes

nin wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 13:11:

How are the bots?

Thanks!

They're not bots as in AI replacements for human players. They are in game robot armies with rudimentary AI that spawn and march towards the opponent's base, like DOTA creep. You need to get your team's bots to the opponent's powerball to bring down their powerball's shields. You can farm bots to make more money, and you spend the money to upgrade your skills, purchase turrets, buy power ups and unique bots for your team.

7. Re: Monday Night Combat Free Weekend Mar 17, 2011, 22:11 Yifes

Ant wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 22:03:
Yifes wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 21:56:
Ant wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 21:33:
So is this like Team Fortress 2 type of game?

3rd person team shooter set in DOTA like arenas with classes that resemble TF2. Fun, and very cheap.
Ah, so not a pure FPS action game. I couldn't get into DOTA type of games.

The mechanics are pure shooter though, and matches last about 10min. They just copied the "destroy your opponent's base" and computer controlled bots that spawn on your team aspects from DOTA. Definitely worth checking out for the free weekend. Good chance you'll like it if you liked TF2, and it's only $10!

4. Re: Monday Night Combat Free Weekend Mar 17, 2011, 21:56 Yifes

Ant wrote on Mar 17, 2011, 21:33:
So is this like Team Fortress 2 type of game?

3rd person team shooter set in DOTA like arenas with classes that resemble TF2. Fun, and very cheap.

News Comments > World of Tanks Launch Next Month
11. Re: World of Tanks Launch Next Month Mar 17, 2011, 20:31 Yifes

The grind in this game is ridiculous, and with only one game mode, it gets repetitive pretty fast. And grinding as a light tank is just not fun when you're higher tier and consistently get matched against heavies like the KV-1 and KV-3 that one shot you with ease. Sure you can try to rush the artillery, but any experienced team will be ready and waiting for you.

This comment was edited on Mar 17, 2011, 21:58.

News Comments > EA on The Old Republic vs WoW
18. Re: EA on The Old Republic vs WoW Mar 16, 2011, 21:51 Yifes

Elessar wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 11:24:
These comments are so generic and single-minded it's not even funny. It's like saying: Battlefield is CoD with vehicles, cause they both have guns.

Most games are derivatives of others. Simply because they have similar MMORPG elements like classes, talents, abilities (core RPG elements, mind you) doesn't mean they can't be entirely different from another game. Not to mention the stories, lore, settings will all be completely different. I could go on, but I shouldn't have to.

You are right that most games are derivatives of others, and certainly TOR distinguishes itself with its setting, player choices, and storytelling.

The problem I have with TOR, is that it still copies the MMO 1.0 gameplay model popularized by WOW. Just look at the gameplay innovations in FPS games. Sure we still shoot thing like in DOOM, but now we have games like Portal, Battlefield, and TF2. Meanwhile in TOR, you will still be killing 20 of X, standing there running through spell rotations as a DPS, managing aggro as a tank, watching health bars go up and down as a healer. It's old, it's boring, and frankly, I'm sick of that shit.

And the other thing TOR copies from WOW, is the end game grind. The end game is the most important and time consuming part of a MMO, and in TOR it's still about the gear treadmill. It doesn't matter if there's a great story when you play the same shit over and over again. TOR's innovations do not make the end game better, and it will undoubtedly have significantly less content than WOW.

TOR has not changed the style of gameplay or the mentality of the endgame. For the vast majority of gametime, it will play just like WOW, which is why I say fuck that.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2011, 22:12.

5. Re: EA on The Old Republic vs WoW Mar 15, 2011, 22:12 Yifes

space captain wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 22:07:
Riker wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 22:00:
A very ugly, overly-cartoony, un-Star-Wars-y suit.

yeh star wars is so gritty and dark, and super realistic

When Luke lost his hand, I was liek, OMG!

4. Re: EA on The Old Republic vs WoW Mar 15, 2011, 22:11 Yifes

"[Our game] is more about talking to characters, learning whatís going on, investing in it, getting emotionally attached to it. You can still go in accessible ways and grind out quests if you want, but at the same time thereís a higher-level story thatís carrying you through The Old Republic"

WOW also has a higher-level story. The problem is that when your player retention depends on the end game gear grind, nobody gives a fuck about your story. Who gives a shit when your jedi master tells you an emotional, fully voice acted story on why you should go out and collect 20 bantha pelts for your daily quest.

It might be fun to play the game once, but bioware's story innovations does nothing for lasting end game appeal.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer
27. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Mar 13, 2011, 23:15 Yifes

Tumbler wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 18:23:
Hmm, that gameplay reminds me a lot of Dragon Age. You get these nice cinematic missions cut scenes, you go off fighting with a group (hopefully) you massacre waves and waves of baddies...it's all very familiar and if this was a SP game I think I'd be very excited...

But it feels like they've taken the basic formula for DA and made it Co-Op and locked it behind a subscription plan. Clever plan really, take a game like Dragon Age, give it a subscription, profit.

The gameplay is just like any cookie cutter MMO, except for the pre mission cutscenes.

News Comments > Warcraft III Patches
6. Re: Warcraft III Patches Mar 13, 2011, 14:44 Yifes

To be honest, I think the more noble thing to do for PC gaming would be let WoW die, so that all of those addicts will spread their PC gaming dollars around again possibly jump starting the industry.

That the money will stay in PC gaming is a pretty dumb assumption. MMOs and strategy games are the only genres the PC still has going for it. If WOW dies that'd be one less reason to play on the PC and we'd be losing to consoles even harder.

892 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo