Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Yifes

Real Name Yifes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Yifes
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 21, 2002, 00:39
Total Comments 865 (Graduate)
User ID 15316

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > StarCraft II Heart of the Swarm Beta Patch
10. Re: StarCraft II Heart of the Swarm Beta Patch Dec 6, 2012, 11:05 Yifes

Ceribaen wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 10:09:
To me it's the fact it's 1/3 of a total game at a full game price.
I'll get SC2 when you have all three campaigns in a single purchase.

I really only played the single player campaign stories for SC, with the occasional MP games against friends I knew.

2 years after launch and people still believe this BS.
You play Terran and Protoss in the Wings of Liberty campaign, and it contains more content than the original Starcraft campaign. The new between mission research and storytelling mechanics makes it a superior singleplayer experience than the original SC.

The only thing better about SC1 was the multiplayer, and that was because of Brood War.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Slingshot
18. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Slingshot Dec 4, 2012, 18:37 Yifes

$4.90 on Greenmangaming using this code:

GMG30-DEC01-ARFC9

News Comments > StarCraft II Global Play Coming
12. Re: StarCraft II Global Play Coming Nov 10, 2012, 16:06 Yifes

DG wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 06:36:
For a SP-only player, is SC2 worth buying? Never played SC, did enjoy some of the C&C games (the original, Red Alert & Generals).

Yes. The single player is pretty good. They try to provide more variety than just the old build a base and crush your enemy mission formula, but it sometimes backfires as the new mechanics end up being more gimmicky than fun. However the late game missions are appropriately solid and epic. At 29 missions in total, you'll get your money's worth.

They also did good job moving the genre forward by adding RPG elements throughout the campaign, and exploring new storytelling mechanics like a between mission hub that resembles a mini adventure game, where you can interact with your ship and your crew for extra story fluff.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
43. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 23, 2012, 00:20 Yifes

Prez wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 18:54:
As for XCOM, in this X-COM fanatic's opinion the new one is well worthy of the name even if it is somewhat inferior to the original in some ways. It definitley warrants its apparent runaway success for sure. Too bad those turn-based games don't sell at all anymore...

***EDIT: on sales over the weekend.

Haha glad you like it! I'm also happy that the game is selling well, but there are a few bugs that are irritating the hell out of me.

News Comments > Project Eternity Interview
17. Re: Project Eternity Interview Oct 22, 2012, 22:45 Yifes

Creston wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 14:21:
Everyone knew from day 1 that KotoR2 was going to come out for Christmas 2004. Every fan of the series knew it, every media outlet knew it, every retailer knew it, lucasarts knew it. So you can be fairly certain that Obsidian knew it too. They got too ambitious with a game that they only had 12-18 months to deliver, and a result it broke down horribly near the end.

Creston

Thanks for the link. Great thread by the way, wonder how I missed it.

News Comments > Project Eternity Interview
10. Re: Project Eternity Interview Oct 22, 2012, 02:27 Yifes

Bhruic wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 01:18:
Acleacius wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 17:12:
The difference should be obvious, they are setting the time frame and budget for their own game, not a publisher. Every time, they've had to release a game early for a publisher and they've done an insane amount of work for a small budget.

We have straight from the horse's mouth that that's not true. Kotor 2 wasn't forced to be released early, they just underestimated the amount of time and effort it would take to release the game the way they envisioned it. It was Obsidian's screw-up. There's absolutely no reason to think that them setting their own schedule and budget ensures they won't have issues. Certainly they have more experience by this point, so I hope they won't have issues, but it's possible that a year and a half from now they might find they don't have enough money to fund development. And it won't be because of a publisher.

Really? Cutting a bunch of content after a hectic 18 month schedule in order to make a Christmas release date sounds pretty forced to me. I'd love to read the interview you're referring to where Obsidian admitted that they themselves planned the December launch and not Lucasarts.

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2012, 20:03 Yifes

X-COM is amazing. Classic/ironman is kicking my ass...on my 5th attempt now. I can't believe people have beaten it on impossible/ironman already.

Dishonored? I'll check it out when it's on sale.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch
60. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 13, 2012, 02:45 Yifes

Dev wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 21:26:
Prez wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 19:50:
I especially like the Cyberdisc and its bomb-throwing animation.
I know! First time I saw it I was like "OH CRAP what's he spinning up to thro BOOOM!"
Now its "ZOMG, I hope I spread my guys out enough! OH CRA BOOM"

The spinning gives you time to ponder your doom.

Still better than having it instagib one of your units with a crit to the face. 5 damage from a grenade is relatively not bad.

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 20:54 Yifes

Paranoid Jack wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 20:03:
@briktal, as for 1 thru 3, where did you get the info from? I was going to start off normal too but now I wonder if I should just go Classic without the Ironman. I guess I could always be a wimp and start off Normal for the 1st play-thru, then Classic for the 2nd, and finally turn on the Ironman for the 3rd.

It's from the gameinformer interview with lead designer Jake Solomon (!spoiler warning! - they talk about a specific set piece mission, and contains concept art of advanced tech.)

Normal is going to be too easy for any X-COM vet.

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 16:40 Yifes

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 15:30:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 15:21:
Besides me... has anyone else who has pre-purchased XCom: Enemy Unknown already started planning out their first game? What continent to build on? What approach will you take as far as research and development?

I know its too soon to get down to details like how you will level your team but I've even looked into that a bit. I'm excited to see the release so close.

I was going to chose Africa as my continent but the 30% increase in monthly pay doesn't kick in until the end of the first month in-game. So I think I will go with North America for the 50% cheaper Aircraft & Weapons. Which will allow better coverage of those nations in panic. Not sure how well it will play out over the course of the game since events are randomized. But that is the beauty of this type of game. If the basics are good the random paths to the end game make it unfold differently. And knowing there are almost three times as many maps than you will see in a play-thru will add to the tactical portion staying fresh. Plus the changing spawn locations and changing enemy types, locations, numbers... well, it is going to be a blast.

So looking forward to it.

I was going to go for europe, more countries covered at once and the research bonus. Gonna go Classic / Ironman my first playthrough...things gonna get dicey!

I'm going to go classic, but not sure about the ironman mode. The recent Machinima reivew said that there can be movement selection issues on multi-level maps. Basically, your unit can potentially end up on the wrong level, in the open without any cover. I can see myself losing a unit because of a bug like that and ruining my ironman experience. Even the devs said ironman on your first playthrough is a bad idea, and I will probably save that for when the game is a bit more polished.

Also, europe seems like a great starting spot, as getting an early workshops to launch that satellite for extra funding before the first month is up seems like a good idea.

News Comments > Morning Previews
14. Re: Morning Previews Oct 5, 2012, 22:45 Yifes

Bet wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 21:01:
I'd estimate that 90% of NMA members enjoyed Fallout 3 and New Vegas once they got past their blind hatred of change.

Getting past one's own prejudices is one of humanity's greatest dilemmas.

New Vegas yes, Fallout 3, fuck no. Fallout 3 is a prime example of a remake that completely misses the heart and soul of a franchise. The only thing good that came out of Fallout 3 is that it made New Vegas possible.

From what I've seen of the new XCOM, it seems like it's going to be more like New Vegas than the piece of shit that was Fallout 3.

News Comments > Morning Previews
12. Re: Morning Previews Oct 5, 2012, 17:54 Yifes

Prez wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 12:53:
Okay, after reading that interview on XCOM I've gone from nervous about the remake to flat-out terrified. It really sounds like they changed WAY too much. Looks like I'm back to waiting for the kickstarter X-COM remake project.

First review is up: Gameinformer 9.5/10

"Firaxisí outstanding design strips away every last vestige of tedium from combat while maintaining the agency that makes the original such a classic."

No idea if Gameinformer is reliable or not, apparently the reviewers were all fans of the old game.

I've also been skeptical of the new changes, but the lead designer Jake Solomon has been very open with the community. He has explained all of his decisions in interviews, and it seems like every change was carefully thought out and made only after extensive iteration and testing. I'm satisfied enough with the man's reasoning to pre-order.

Also, I've bought into the Xenonauts remake. While the latest build looks promising enough for me to join the kickstarter, I am really doubtful that the people behind the project can bring it to a good level of polish. TBH, it's so similar to the original, that unless they do a really good job balancing and debugging the game, I'd rather just replay the original.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2012, 18:00.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Demo
44. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Demo Sep 24, 2012, 19:03 Yifes

TheEmissary wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 15:08:
They want $49.99 for the digital release but they are charging $59.99 for retail and console releases. I am not worried about the game as Firaxis is pretty much a solid PC dev.

The only retail version of the game for PC is the special edition, which comes with an art book, a poster, and some random digital bonus items - hence the extra $10.

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Sep 22, 2012, 16:33 Yifes

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 14:14:
If you find the win strategy there is literally no game to be had, it's just the same procedure every encounter. Target 2 Ion Mk2's shields and weapons, have 2 attack drones wreak havok. have 2 mantis warriors teleport over and have cloak.

Except getting all those weapons, systems, and crew members is pretty much impossible on normal. Maybe if you start with the engie ship and get pretty lucky with your store rolls. I haven't even seen a Ion Mk2 for sale in my last 5 runs.

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2012, 16:40.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Preorders; System Specs
50. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Preorders; System Specs Sep 8, 2012, 19:12 Yifes

Dev wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 23:07:
Prez wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 13:45:
I'm on a very slow network right now so I can't watch the Steam videos at the moment, but I have to say that the batch of screenshots there are quite disheartening - I'm not getting a classic Xcom vibe at all. Hopefully it's just a case of the screens being picked more for their visual punch than their representation of the actual gameplay.
Prez:
Check out that hour long gameplay video they released recently. (skip around if you dont want to watch the whole thing). I was pleasantly surprised by how fun it looks. While it does change the formula a bit, I think they've captured a lot of what made xcom good stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VP4YmExQAE

Xenonauts looks like a more faithful remake, but this one looks like it will be more fun IMHO.

Good video. The only thing I don't like is the small map and squad sizes. Now you can't bring a skyranger full of rookie cannon fodder with you

13. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Preorders; System Specs Sep 7, 2012, 10:46 Yifes

Qbex . wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 10:36:
even better use : GMG25-1BW0K-K1A3G for 25% off that

Does not work.

6. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Preorders; System Specs Sep 7, 2012, 10:16 Yifes

Haha the classic x-com guy with the flat blonde hair is awesome!

I wonder if you still get the steam pre-order bonus if you buy from another site like greenmangaming? They have it for $45 at the moment.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Status Report
69. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 3, 2012, 11:39 Yifes

Yakubs wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 23:56:
nin wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 23:49:
So that's a "no" then...

You honestly believe people did psychological studies on the fleeting nature of MMORPG fanboyism? I was making a joke. Sorry.

Also, nice try diverting the real topic of conversation. GW2's ostensible "risks" that it took. So, please. Let me know what envelopes GW2 has pushed.

Server versus server WvWvW with matchup switching.

Max level and max gear hot join PvP with server browser and built in tournament functionality.

Everyone gets rewarded for playing together - no kill stealing.

Overflow servers instead of queues.

Just a brief list of the really obvious innovations not to mention dozens of QOL improvements. Either you haven't really played the game, or you're full of shit.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Launches
28. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launches Aug 28, 2012, 11:35 Yifes

Verno wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 11:30:
pagb wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 11:22:
Gotta love Blizz haters, if this game was made by Blizz, there would be a huge outrage about Error 7, queues and overflows.

Arenanet's farts must smell like chanel no5.

I know this was just a silly troll but it helps to know what you're talking about, overflows are an intentional game design to prevent queues. It's actually a really well implemented idea that other MMOs should take note of, you can keep playing the game while waiting to enter the world instances.

I posted a full list of my issues further below in the thread. For something that already had 400k concurrent users on the Saturday headstart, I think it's generally been a fair launch.

Verno, what he said was fair. Servers were down for quite a while Saturday morning, and the overflow joining system was bugged for a lot of people, seriously ruining their experiences.

If this game was by another company, the devs would have been tarred and feathered on here.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins
33. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 26, 2012, 00:25 Yifes

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 21:49:
Fion wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 21:46:
It's easy to join in a party, no matter if others are in offerflow or not. If your in different overflow instances or not, join group and right click on portrait and select 'join in'. You'll automatically be switched to the right 'server'.

Except it doesn't work and hasn't since 2am. Hence my frustration.

An easy work around is to regroup at one of the capital cities. Any instance you enter as a group from then on should be the same, and you shouldn't have any problems as long as everyone sticks together.

I'm also enjoying the game much more than during the beta. Now I'm taking my time exploring, doing the personal quest, and crafting, and the pacing is much better.

Also, I'm finding that the best moments I've had so far are those where its just my party of 3 taking on champions by ourselves; You really have to think and time your dodges rather than just mash your face into the keyboard as a part of a 30 man zergfest.

865 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo