Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Yifes

Real Name Yifes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Yifes
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 21, 2002, 00:39
Total Comments 883 (Graduate)
User ID 15316

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > 2013's Top Free-to-Play Games
51. Re: 2013's Top Free-to-Play Games Jan 20, 2014, 18:52 Yifes

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 13:47:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 12:28:
You don't have to pay for new characters. You can buy them using the in-game currency which you get every time you play a match. And if you play LoL on a regular basis, you'll always have enough in-game currency to buy new characters.

The only part of LoL that could qualify as P2W are the XP boosters. Your runes, masteries and summoner spells are all locked behind levels so a level 1 player has an inherent disadvantage against a level 30 player (though the matchmaking would never put them in the same match). You also have to pay for more rune pages, which is stupid.

Right most FTP's PTW or not have ways to get items through playing but obviously a lot of people are buying a lot of things, including things you could earn from free. See my 22 year old, at least a couple years back, put many hundreds getting the new toons as they came out. Looking for an edge anywhere.

That actually doesn't work because when you play a completely new champion, you will be shit for the first dozen games or so. Quite a few newly released champions were actually considered underpowered, until people managed to figure out how to use them.

Having a large champion pool can be advantageous, but that is only significant in the highest of ranked ladder matches. For everyone else who don't play LoL 10 hours a day, you'll do much better focusing on playing a small handful of champions, which is easily unlocked without spending any real money. Playing a few decent characters well produces much better results than spending a ton of money chasing whatever champion is popular the current patch.

Also, even the XP boosters Jerykk mentioned don't give you any real advantages. They make you gain levels faster, but then you'll end up matched against higher level and better opponents.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls in March
19. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls in March Dec 19, 2013, 23:45 Yifes

Rattlehead wrote on Dec 19, 2013, 22:33:
Both Dark Souls 2 and South Park come out in March, why on earth would anyone get this, especially after the dumpster fire that was D3. Do you really expect anything good from this company anymore? Is your $40 worth throwing down the drain to a bunch of incompetent assholes who make a superior console version while forcing your ass to stay online at all times?

Is Dark Souls 2 coming out for PC in March? I better get around to playing Dark Souls 1 then.

Also, while Blizzard's games are no long genre defining gems of PC gaming, their games are still good. And D3 was a pretty good game as long you judge it as a game and not as a 300 hundred hour long offline loot drop simulator.

News Comments > LoL Season 3 Championship in Staples Center
4. Re: LoL Season 3 Championship in Staples Center Jul 11, 2013, 22:03 Yifes

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 22:00:
MOBAs really aren't my cup of tea, but they seem to be freaking huge these days. As long as people actually enjoy the game and aren't just there to act like complete shit to each other, gg. My only concern is the popularity of the MOBAs making more traditional RTS developers abandon what could have been good games, to take the 'easy' route and make a MOBA instead, aka Sins of a Solar Empire maker, Ironclad, who have fallen to the dark side.

Yeah I agree. Sins was such a good game. I really wish they stuck with the series instead of trying to break into a saturated market already dominated by LoL and Dota. I really hope their company survives when their new game underperforms

News Comments > LoL Season 3 Championship in Staples Center
2. Re: LoL Season 3 Championship in Staples Center Jul 11, 2013, 21:53 Yifes

Pretty much why I play LoL rather than DOTA. The pro LoL scene is just amazing. 8 NA and 8 EU official salaried teams, matches every week, all leading up to the World Championships against Korea and China. It's a great time to be into MOBAs.  

News Comments > Dota 2 This Summer
19. Re: Dota 2 This Summer Jun 17, 2013, 17:15 Yifes

Xero wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 15:33:
Yeah but you get all those interactions in the RTS of Warcraft 3, BUT you have to deal with microing your "expendable" units as well while you keep your base in production at the same time. Watching the elite players do all this while keeping a direct control on their hero (or 3 at a time for that matter), was mind boggling skill.

Controlling 1 hero and not having to worry about much else aside from your team work which in multi-player games in WC3 it was the same, just seems like a simplified version of Wc3.

You can't argue that a game is better just because it's more mechanically intensive. If you do that, then you can say Warcraft 3 is just Brood War for idiots.

Besides, they're completely different games. DotA is NOT a RTS and it only shares similarities because of the WC3 engine. Saying another game is better because you can control more units at a time doesn't make any sense. You only control one character in may different genres of games, and it has no relation to how good the game is.

News Comments > The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews
13. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 13, 2013, 20:06 Yifes

Ugh. This is going to fuck up the XCOM storyline. I wish they'd just make it a stand alone game, instead of constantly trying to force it into the XCOM universe.  

News Comments > XCOM Shooter "Fresh Look" Reveal in "Days"
23. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 13:14 Yifes

Beamer wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 10:44:
Screw editor. It needed to be random. Enemy placement needed to be random and roving rather than 3 guys in the same places, sitting there until discovered, and occasionally teleporting in front of you. And it needed to stop showing that damn in-engine cinematic every single time you come across 3 new enemies. Every time. Every damn time!

Alien placement is random. Try restarting the same mission multiple times (not from a saved game), a problem I've run into when I consistently failed the first mission on ironman impossible like a dozen times in a row. There are multiple spawn locations, which changes every time. The only enemy locations that are not random are some of the spawns in the story missions, like thin men add-ons halfway through a bomb diffusal, or "boss" locations.

Also, alien packs DO roam around the map, just not all of them. Incidentally this is why the teleportation bug exists, as it is a problem with unactivated alien pack movement when your line of sight is blocked.

News Comments > XCOM Shooter "Fresh Look" Reveal in "Days"
22. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 13:05 Yifes

Krovven wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 12:02:
You give an example in your previous post. When you come across a group of enemies, they would get to displace, even though it was your turn and not the Ai's turn, rendering your unit placement and tactics almost pointless. Regardless what you would do, most situations you couldn't get the drop on the enemy because of this.

It also seemed like it was predetermined at the start of a mission whether your units would miss the majority of their attacks, or hit the majority, regardless of percentages.

Having been playing a lot of Civ5 and Warlock lately, understanding those mechanics and outcomes being predictable based on what I did, I found XCOM very unpredictable regardless of my tactics.

The enemy displacement when you first make contact is necessary because of the game's emphasis on cover. If the enemy didn't do that, even impossible would be a walk in the park as you could destroy aliens very easily on first contact while they're out of cover. The solution to this problem is to control your movement so you only make contact when most your units still have their turns left.

The game is predictable if you know how to play, which is how people can consistently win on ironman impossible. Alot of it has to do with controlling when you activate aliens, limiting alien attacks using line of sight, and relying heavily on explosives during the early game.

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Concludes
25. Re: About original Torment Apr 6, 2013, 08:25 Yifes

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 00:07:
You know what I just randomly noticed because I am replaying it (don't laugh..). Torment may have a great story, but can it be that they ran out of time? Some of the characters you meet are severely under-developed. Pharod and Annah for example. Especially considering that there is even the remnant of a romance (Annah) in the game, but they never do anything with it.

Chris Avellone commented on this years ago in an interview I read somewhere. They ran out of time and the end of the game is much less polished. You can really feel it in areas like Baator.

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Concludes
24. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 6, 2013, 08:20 Yifes

El Pit wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 07:26:
storytelling IN WORDS instead of letting the player experience it. Sometimes it felt like reading a book instead of playing a game.

You can express more with words than you can with just animation and dialogue. The depth of storytelling that I experienced in PS:T surpassed any other game that I've played. Reading is a part of the gameplay experience, and that's not a bad thing.

Funny thing, Chris Avellone agrees with you and thinks that it's one of the weaknesses of the game. Personally though, I think it's one of the best aspects of the game, and put it on a level above his later works like KOTOR2 and NWN2

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 2013, 08:28.

News Comments > Chris Avellone Joins Torment Team
9. Re: Chris Avellone Joins Torment Team Apr 4, 2013, 08:48 Yifes

dj LiTh wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 06:31:
Well its not just him, i dont think its right thats Chris is on so many projects, especially when this is one of their kickstarter goals to add him to the team. They should say just how much of his schedule he'll even be able to attribute to the goal, because its certainly not like its full time.

Actually, considering how late they added Chris to the project, and how close they came to not making the $3.5 million requirement, it seems like his contributions will be pretty superfluous. I really don't expect much more than the 1 NPC that they explicitly stated he'll create. Which I'm OK with.

News Comments > Chris Avellone Joins Torment Team
5. Re: Chris Avellone Joins Torment Team Apr 4, 2013, 00:03 Yifes

Well, Avellone and that in-engine video did it for me.

PS:T had the best writing I've ever seen in a videogame. Hope they can pull it off again.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
12. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 28, 2013, 17:32 Yifes

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 17:28:
Enjoying HOTS but the update was pretty formal. Still see the same units, with the very notable exception of the terran spider mine.

I do like what they've added though. You still earn some points for your account on losses and the unranked means I can finally fuck around with Terran without pushing through the custom game format.

Still I wish it had been Frozen Throne level. 2 new units for each of 4 races, a crapload of new heroes and the shop and mercenaries mechanic. That was like a new game in mp.

Viper and Swarm host are pretty big additions for zerg. Yeah its slightly less of a jump than TFT, but you have to leave some room for legacy of the void.

News Comments > Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Announced
13. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Announced Mar 24, 2013, 16:44 Yifes

Cutter wrote on Mar 23, 2013, 03:08:
Rolleyes

You couldn't be any further off the mark. There are plenty of good companies out there.

So naive, like a little child. Capitalism has no place for "good" companies. It's like evolution, all this environment breeds is companies that make money.

Good will, brand loyalty, all that has a value on the balance sheet. It's all so people like you can feel better spending your money on a "good" company and helping their bottom line.

News Comments > Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Announced
6. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Announced Mar 23, 2013, 00:34 Yifes

Cutter wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 21:45:
There is absolutely no doubt in anyone's mind that's why they chose this. Free my ass. Money is the one and only thing Actiblizz cares about.

Rolleyes

That's all that any company cares about.

News Comments > SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed
116. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 23:21 Yifes

So, aside from all the bugs and rage against online only mode, is the game good? Thinking about grabbing this and Dead Space 3.  

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Footage
5. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Footage Jan 23, 2013, 16:57 Yifes

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 12:30:
"All new strategies" of rushing.

None of the new units are early game units, and almost all the changes affect the mid to late game.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 17, 2012, 14:24 Yifes

You can have anti-hate speech laws and still have freedom of speech.
Like in Canada.
People in the US fail to understand that it does not have to be all or nothing. Protecting free speech does not mean you have to protect pieces of shit like the WBC.

News Comments > StarCraft II Heart of the Swarm Beta Patch
10. Re: StarCraft II Heart of the Swarm Beta Patch Dec 6, 2012, 11:05 Yifes

Ceribaen wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 10:09:
To me it's the fact it's 1/3 of a total game at a full game price.
I'll get SC2 when you have all three campaigns in a single purchase.

I really only played the single player campaign stories for SC, with the occasional MP games against friends I knew.

2 years after launch and people still believe this BS.
You play Terran and Protoss in the Wings of Liberty campaign, and it contains more content than the original Starcraft campaign. The new between mission research and storytelling mechanics makes it a superior singleplayer experience than the original SC.

The only thing better about SC1 was the multiplayer, and that was because of Brood War.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Slingshot
18. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Slingshot Dec 4, 2012, 18:37 Yifes

$4.90 on Greenmangaming using this code:

GMG30-DEC01-ARFC9

883 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo