Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Yifes

Real Name Yifes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Yifes
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 21, 2002, 00:39
Total Comments 865 (Graduate)
User ID 15316

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Space Marine
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Space Marine Sep 6, 2011, 21:19 Yifes

Played the demo - got bored after about 5 minutes of slaughtering Orks. Weird, considering I'm a fan of the setting, the genre, and the developers. Maybe the full game is worth playing?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
14. Re: On Sale Sep 4, 2011, 10:55 Yifes

space captain wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 23:44:
Yifes wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 21:29:
Or, you can spend less than an hour in real life to make the $15 to purchase one month of game time.

what do you get paid hourly? btw - did you know different jobs pay different amounts of money? shocking isnt it

Alright, lets say you make minimum wage. So you spend a bit more than 2 hours to pay for your month of gameplay. 2 hours is less than 5 days. Shocking isn't it?

I'm also assuming that your average EVE/MMO player has a bit more disposable income than your average high school drop out.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Sep 3, 2011, 21:29 Yifes

A dude in my corp spends 5 days mining to pay for his month then goes and does whatever he wants to rest of the month.

Or, you can spend less than an hour in real life to make the $15 to purchase one month of game time. Working 5 days in game is fucking retarded.

News Comments > Jagged Alliance: Back In Action Interview
6. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back In Action Interview Aug 18, 2011, 19:32 Yifes

The new real time and plan and go system sounds incredibly disappointing.  

News Comments > StarCraft II Region Linking
8. Re: StarCraft II Region Linking Jul 12, 2011, 22:03 Yifes

LightAssassin wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 13:45:
FYI I was giving a legit copy of the game for my b'day and I cry for lan when my friend and I want to practice. Thanks blizzard... encouraging people to sit at home and not be social.

Holy shit, you don't have an internet connection?

Flatline wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 21:22:
Is this game still relevant? And when in 2014 can we expect the next mission pack?

Yeah. It has revitalized professional competitive gaming and has the biggest pro scene outside of Korea.

News Comments > WoW Your Friends for Free
13. Re: WoW Your Friends for Free Jun 25, 2011, 18:04 Yifes

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 25, 2011, 17:13:
The issue as to why they are losing subscriptions eludes them even though the points are always brought up.

Uh, how about it's a 7 year old game with more than 11 million players? You'd think more people would get tired of the game after so long.

Playing since vanilla... what is wrong with you people?

News Comments > Chinese TF2 Knockoff
23. Re: Chinese TF2 Knockoff Jun 17, 2011, 16:28 Yifes

Cornholio wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 03:08:
Ever been stared at while eating because someone is amazed you can use chopsticks and then they inform you "wow, I didn't think people like you could use chopsticks".
They're polite about it but they are racists... chinese/japanese/koreans many of them think they are superior to others.

Not all of them are racists but many are.

Ever walked around in America and been told to "Go fucking home to your own country" or "I killed your dad in Vietnam"? There's racism everywhere; at least they're talking about chopsticks and not being assholes.

This blatant IP theft is a phase of a newly developing economy, not a reflection on culture or tradition. Just like Samuel Slater and other fathers of American industry stole their ideas and technology from the British, China is stealing ours. As the domestic Chinese gaming industry develops, and they start caring more about protecting their IP rights, we'll see this shit less and less often.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2011, 16:35.

News Comments > Chinese TF2 Knockoff
10. Re: Chinese TF2 Knockoff Jun 16, 2011, 23:38 Yifes

Surf wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 21:25:
No shit, most robotic race of ALL time. All they do is let other develop and research products of all kinds. Then, they produce it, steal the idea, and bam, build a WORSE mouse trap.

Chinese refuse to think outside of the box, warped.

Classy. Maybe we should talk about how all black people are lazy drug dealers.

It's not the first time in history that legal enforcements of IP rights has lagged behind rampant capitalism. Europeans would have said the same thing of America back at the turn of the century.

News Comments > Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October
13. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October Jun 8, 2011, 23:32 Yifes

Frozen Synapse is a lot of fun, but I'd take Shadow, Ivan and the rest of the gang over it any day. I'd happily pay for even a graphics update of vanilla JA2.  

News Comments > On StarCraft as a Spectator Sport
13. Re: On StarCraft as a Spectator Sport May 17, 2011, 16:08 Yifes

Silicon Avatar wrote on May 17, 2011, 15:32:
I can't think of many things more boring than to watch a stranger play a video game.

It's like watching a sport. A lot of people think watching soccer/baseball/american football/[insert sport here] is boring. A lot of people don't.

I don't find the game very fun to watch personally, I'd rather play it. Unfortunately Starcraft 2 is much like a having a second career that you need to dump copious amounts of time into so that you can compete effectively.

If you're very competitive, and care about your ranking and placement, then yeah you need to spend a lot of time. The matchmaking is pretty good, and if you don't mind losing 1/2 of your matches in Bronze league, then you really don't need much skill or time to have fun.

This comment was edited on May 17, 2011, 16:13.

News Comments > On StarCraft as a Spectator Sport
9. Re: On StarCraft as a Spectator Sport May 17, 2011, 09:06 Yifes

NeOCidE wrote on May 17, 2011, 08:52:
Sorry to be a newb, but how does one actually spectate on a Starcraft 2 game? Is this feature built in to the game?

They're talking about watching tournaments like the OSL for Starcraft 1 or Global Star League and North American Star League for Starcraft 2. Check out the first link to get a sense of the scale of Starcraft as an esport in Korea.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Interview
4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Interview May 16, 2011, 00:59 Yifes

LittleMe wrote on May 15, 2011, 22:57:
Six months ago wasn't the estimated release May 2011? I see wiki has it as TBA now.

There was never an official release date besides "when it's done". All they've said is that they're aiming for closed beta by the end of the year, so it could be another year before it's released.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2011, 01:06.

News Comments > Diablo III Followers Trailer
34. Re: Diablo III Followers Trailer May 14, 2011, 13:29 Yifes

You misunderstood my meaning here. I wasn't talking about unit caps. I'm talking about how Blizzard made a resolution that they would only have the same number of unique units per side as was in the original SC. That means that for every unique unit they created in SC2...they removed something from SC1...even if it was a great unit that people liked. The extra units were relegated to single player only. That's something that annoys me.

That was clearly for balance reasons, as you can see there were much more units available in the single player campaign not usable in MP. They've actually talked quite a bit about their thought process. For example, the Lurker was tier 2 unit that was removed because its role now overlapped with new units. I don't agree with some of their decisions, but it was hardly arbitrary and a very difficult process for them.

And you'd be wrong. I preordered SC(the Protoss Box) and my friends and I played it and Broodwar to death. Its just that most of us agree that SC2 plays it too safe and does not allow the same freedom in multiplayer as single player. It turned out to be just more of the same old.

I guess you can grow out of certain types of games then, and SC isn't your thing anymore. You'd be wrong though, for blaming Blizzard for not innovating. As I've said before, they've done a lot of innovation in the single player. The mp is relatively unchanged because SC mp is classic, and people play it avidly to this day. Their core audience doesn't want them to mess with the MP, just like Capcom's core audience doesn't want them messing with Ryu and Ken. Blizzard caters to their core audience, and they are very successful because of it, while games like C&C are now a mere shadow of their former selves. Messing with a beloved forumla just for the sake of innovation isn't always a great thing to do, and I'm glad that there is still an old school RTS out there when the trend now is to dumb things down and consolize. Besides, if you want something completely different, that's what the custom maps are there for. Just look at the official maps like Starjeweled , and that's only a single example.

This comment was edited on May 14, 2011, 13:42.

News Comments > Diablo III Interviews
24. No subject May 14, 2011, 12:30 Yifes

Muscular Beaver wrote on May 14, 2011, 06:42:
Quite the opposite. Diablos graphics were very well made in each game for its time. Just the resolution was too low after a few years. Have you played D1 or D2 with widescreen mods? They look absolutely fantastic, even today.

To be honest, a lot of the tilesets used to randomly generate the maps in D2 look terrible for that era, even at a higher resolutions. And most of the enemies, such as the brightly colored shamans, looked very cartoony. Seriously, my Sorc had a bright purple shield FFS. I remember this after all these years because I spent the entire time thinking just how ridiculous it looked. The only things that looked good were the unique structures and environments, and that is only because they are essentially hand drawn 2d paintings. The same difference can be seen when Bioware switched over to 3d. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and the old infinity engine games had gorgeous hand painted backdrops that look fantastic even today. When they went to 3d, with NWN, KOTOR, Jade Empire, etc, the 3d graphics looked absolutely shit in comparison.

So yeah, D3 is 3D now. You can keep on whining and bitching about it, or get over it. I can't help but imagine the ppl bitching about D3 not being dark enough as bunch of angsty goths who shop at hot topic and still live in their mother's basements. "ZOMG THERE AREN"T ENOUGH PENTAGRAMS SO ITS NOT SUPER COOL ANYMORE!!!!!!!" Rolleyes

And yeah sure, it's not Blizzard North anymore. It's now Leonard Fucking Boyarsky of Fallout fame. You can't get better than that.

This comment was edited on May 14, 2011, 13:15.

22. Re: Diablo III Interviews May 14, 2011, 00:55 Yifes

Slashman wrote on May 14, 2011, 00:39:
What does any of that have to do with making the game look better? What does any of that have to do with adding some new things...like more environmental interactivity?

It's not about fundamentally changing the formula. How about just expanding on it in a meaningful way?

Note: I'm not trying to defend Diablo, because I'm not much a fan of the genre, and I really haven't been following the development of the game.

As a casual observer though, I have noticed that they've expanded on D2 in quite a few meaningful ways, such as much more impressive boss fights/mechanics, crafting, PVP (a HUGE one for me), and now the much deeper and improved follower system.

The problem you seem to have with D3 and SC2, is that you have a vision of what needs changing/improving that does not match with Blizzard's. As I've addressed in the previous thread, Blizzard made quite a few improvements to SC2, more so than in most sequels I'd argue. They kept a lot of the defining characteristics of the original, and because you did not enjoy/appreciate these features, you felt disappointed.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Interview
3. Re: Guild Wars 2 Interview May 14, 2011, 00:15 Yifes

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 14, 2011, 00:09:
Microtransactions! NooOOooo!

But seriously, hopefully all their microtransaction nonsense is meaningless fluff, hats and so forth. On the plus side, this is the first thing I've heard about this game that I am negative about.

I think their philosophy towards microtransactions - "...not requiring you to spend additional money to play the game and not making the game difficult or painful to play in order to encourage you to buy things from the store..." is very reasonable for a MMO that's free to play.

32. Re: Diablo III Followers Trailer May 14, 2011, 00:06 Yifes

Slashman wrote on May 13, 2011, 19:07:
This is why I never bothered with SC2. Not the fact that they split the game into three, its the whole philosophy of the design that just irked me. I mean...why can't you have more units per side than you had in SC1? Why is there a totally nonsensical rule like that?

Because limiting the size of your armies are important for balance reasons. As for why the limit is set at 200, that is because a game changes drastically with the scale of the armies. A battle with few units focuses on tactics and micromanaging each unit, while a battle with thousands of units focuses on macro and large scale strategy. The scale of Starcraft is set to allow a good balance of both macro and micro in a game.

Also, there's a lot of misunderstanding when people discuss SC2:

First of all, it's not a game split into 3. It's a game with 2 expansions, which will not be full priced. The first part of SC2 has its own campaign, with a main story arch that gets resolved as well as subplots that continue in the expansions. So structure wise, it is more like A New Hope, where the Death Star gets blown up, and Vader survives for TESB.

Second, there is quite a lot of innovation. The between mission storytelling mechanic is unique, and has the best presentation of any RTS to date. Yes, core game mechanics are still similar to SC1, but this is to preserve classic gameplay that didn't need changing in the first place. Instead, they innovated with new units and abilities, which is what most videogame sequels do.

I'm guessing you never really enjoyed SC's RTS gameplay, so understandably you were disappointed with SC2. In the end, Blizzard is a company that gives fans what they want, and they are incredibly consistent and successful at doing just this.

This comment was edited on May 14, 2011, 01:13.

18. Re: Diablo III Interviews May 13, 2011, 22:31 Yifes

Slashman wrote on May 13, 2011, 21:04:
They are in a better position than any other company to dictate the course of the RTS and action-RPG genres and yet they consistently choose to do nothing new. All the polish in the world doesn't make that any less lame IMO.

New isn't better. People play Blizzard's games once for the story, and they keep playing for the next 10 years because of the gameplay. The multiplayer and competitive communities are the core audience, and it's they who keep these games relevant and popular for all these years. They would have a fit if you changed fundamental mechanics just for the hell of it. You don't see Capcom messing with Street Fighter just because some casual gamers are tired of quarter circle forward.

This comment was edited on May 13, 2011, 22:48.

4. Re: Diablo III Followers Trailer May 12, 2011, 19:44 Yifes

I wonder why the graphics look so bad.

Not that I'm worried, because, hey, look at D2. Still, I thought I remembered D3 looking better than this.

News Comments > We Built This Guild Wars 2 City
10. Re: We Built This Guild Wars 2 City May 12, 2011, 15:52 Yifes

Teddy wrote on May 12, 2011, 13:17:
This company may produce some decent games, but they are a freaking joke when it comes to customer support.

ArenaNet is not NCSoft. And what is the point of telling InBlack about GW1 when GW2 is going to be a full MMO and quite different from GW1.

865 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo