Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Yifes

Real Name Yifes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Yifes
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 21, 2002, 00:39
Total Comments 881 (Graduate)
User ID 15316

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Firefly Online Trailer
5. Re: Firefly Online Trailer Jul 27, 2014, 15:33 Yifes

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 27, 2014, 14:02:
Pre-purchase now to help Netflix buy the rights from Fox and start working on season 2.

With Whedon busy with the Avengers and the actors engaged in other projects, it's never going to happen.

I hope this game is good but I highly doubt it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The International Tourney on TV
8. Re: The International Tourney on TV Jul 17, 2014, 19:03 Yifes

Osc8r wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 18:47:
How do people still play LOL, let alone watch it? Dota is superior in most area's, and doesn't have graphics from the atari st era.

Yes the graphics in DOTA2 are better, but LOL is catching up with constant visual updates. The new characters look great and the map is getting a modern rework which is currently on the test servers. As for the rest of the game, really the only major advantage DOTA 2 has over League is that DOTA's client is significantly better, but League is working on that too. As for the gameplay itself, both games are fundamentally different, so it's really matter of preference, and what game most of your friends play.

The aspect of LOL that is much better than DOTA 2 is the professional scene. DOTA2 has the TI which is great, but LOL actually has an full time league, which like a real sport has regular season games and playoffs, not just one off tournaments like DOTA. Additionally, LOL is by far the most popular game in Korea and China (DOTA2 is pretty much nonexistent), and has inherited Korea's esports crown from Brood War. Esport's mainstream popularity in Korea means that as far as production values and player talent is concerned, they are on another level. Basically what this means is that while the TI is going on, I'll watch DOTA, and for the rest of the year I'll watch OGN and League.

News Comments > Rob Pardo Leaves Blizzard
28. Re: Rob Pardo Leaves Blizzard Jul 5, 2014, 10:58 Yifes

jdreyer wrote on Jul 4, 2014, 00:59:
They also lambasted Blizzard for their stupid always online and auction house. I still can't believe D3 sold 6m copies. Consumers can be such idiots sometimes.

Maybe because it's a good game? And when they removed the real money auction house and released the expansion, they proved that they can fix their games and listen to their audience. And most people of this online generation don't give a shit if a game is online. The kind of "everyone who disagrees with me is an idiot" attitude is childish and ignorant.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth in October
28. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth in October Jul 3, 2014, 21:56 Yifes

descender wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 20:48:
I understand all of that.
Hexes have nothing to do with that. The maps could have been made larger (there are even mods for some truly massive maps) and still use hexes. That's what I was referring to, anyway. They are not directly related, or a problem because of each other. They simply didn't make the default maps large enough for your tastes.

Again, this doesn't really alleviate the problem because the entire game is designed and balanced around smaller maps with fewer units, with each unit worth so much more than in previous games.

You can win cultural games with 20 units and 2-3 cities.

Yes, and the new features in Brave New World definitely made it a better game. A lot of old school civ fans just don't think that the compromises made to implement the new 1 unit per tile rules were worth it, and carrying it over to Beyond Earth is a step in the wrong direction.

I will still play Beyond Earth, but will probably wait for a steam sale a few years and a couple expansion packs later. Now if Brian Reynolds was starting a real sequel to Alpha Centauri, I'd jump on that kickstarter in a heartbeat.

23. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth in October Jul 3, 2014, 20:03 Yifes

descender wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 19:40:
1 Unit-Per-Tile has absolutely nothing to do with the shape of the tiles, so try not to trip while you backpedal so fast.

They are absolutely related. The one unit per tile and hexagonal tiles are a direct adaptation of classic wargames, which offer much more tactical depth than the old square tile civ games. And no, while AI "issues" have been fixed, the AI is still terrible compared to humans. Such deficiencies will always be present, but it is much more obvious given Civ5's game design. And while you can play on larger maps, that does not alleviate the problem. As Scottish Martial Arts points out, the map sizes are still small compared to the number of units present, and the relative size between units and cities are completely disproportionate.

Civ 5 is still a good game despite its deficiencies, and Beyond Earth will likely be good. It's just highly unlikely to live up to Alpha Centauri, especially since the man responsible for the greatest two games in the series, Brian Reynolds, is no longer at Firaxis.

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2014, 20:14.

19. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth in October Jul 3, 2014, 19:14 Yifes

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 18:53:
I'm sorry but that's retarded. In the world of tabletop wargames, which in many ways the Civ games are a loose homage to, hexes have been standard for pretty much forever, because they are superior to squares for turn-based combat games. Yes, you lose two possible move directions, and yes, hexes do not align with the cardinal directions, but what you gain is significant. Namely, the center of a hex is equidistant to the center of all adjacent hexes, where as with squares, the centers of diagonally adjacent squares are significantly further than orthogonally adjacent squares, which creates a "bunny hop" like effect: you can go farther moving diagonally than orthogonally, yet pay the same movement cost for both moves. Squares, through a flaw in their design, privilege certain movements over others, which encourages players not to make moves in accordance with the tactical scenario, but in accordance with metagaming the movement rules. Furthermore, only orthogonally adjacent squares share an edge, where as adjacent hexes all share an edge; this is critical in games in which facing, i.e. any turn-based combat game worth its salt, makes a difference to combat results. Hexes therefore facilitate more complex combat rules, where facing, flanks, supporting units, etc. can impact the outcome, in ways that squares can't.

In short, there's a reason why you'll be hard pressed to find a tabletop war game made in the last 50 years which uses squares.

Hex tiles are great. However, as many people more knowledgable than me have stated, hexes do NOT work in Civ. The problem is with Civ's one unit per hex rule and that Civ's maps are much smaller in comparison than in a wargame; In Civ, an entire city is ONE hex in size, and is the same size as a single unit.

The small size of the maps means that the game design has to compensate by letting the player build fewer units, which has far reaching impact on all other aspects of the game. Additionally, the smaller maps limit maneuverability. A consequence is that the AI is notoriously terrible and highly exploitable ie. incredibly easy to set up chokepoints with a handful of units that the AI simply cannot deal with.

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2014, 19:21.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
30. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 16:51 Yifes

descender wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 15:59:
The olympics are pretty specialized events, dominated by countries with the proper training facilities (read: money... or for the winter olympics I suppose locale matters). It's not simply population.

Well said!

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 2, 2014, 16:37 Yifes

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 12:19:
Shutting down the League of Legends forums? But surely such a quality community... rofl, I can't even finish that sentence. :o

They're shutting down public chat rooms, not the forums.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Beta Toolkit
12. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Beta Toolkit Jun 28, 2014, 02:43 Yifes

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 27, 2014, 16:02:
In the meantime I've been burning through Shadowrun Returns... with the updated save system that's been a pretty fun game so far, about 70% of the way through the base campaign. Range combat seems to utterly dominate everything else though.

Hope you check out Dragonfall. Better than the original campaign in every way.

News Comments > Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics Return to Steam
22. Re: Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics Return to Steam Jun 19, 2014, 17:44 Yifes

Beamer wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 01:27:
What was the agreed upon time. Yeah, Bethesda could have given them more time, but if they agreed to complete it in two years and needed 2.5, they still didn't deserve the bonus.

Yeah Bethesda only gave you 18 months to make an AAA game that must score 85% on Metacritic, with a tiny budget compared to other games in that category. But you take it because this is the only way you can work on the beloved franchise that you created. And when you're a small indie developer with mouths to feed, it's not like you have any leverage in the negotiations.

So you bust your ass working ungodly hours 7 days a week because this is your passion. And it turns out great, except it's not humanly possible make a game of this scale in such a short time and have it be perfectly polished. So you ask Bethesda for a little bit more time and money. What you're asking is nothing compared to the support Bethesda gives to their own games. But no, the suits decide that they get to make more money by throwing you under the bus.

So yeah, you're technically correct that Bethesda doesn't owe Obsidian anything, but I hope you can understand why I say Bethesda can go fuck themselves.

20. Re: Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics Return to Steam Jun 19, 2014, 17:24 Yifes

yonder wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 04:39:
Obsidian makes GREAT stuff. And if they had proper financial support in order to actually FINISH the games before they're released, I'd absolutely love them. But they haven't, yet.

I seriously don't understand the geek love that Obsidian gets. I *HOPE* it's because people incorrectly associate Obsidian with Black Isle. I could understand that. It's wrong, but it's understandable. But if you're judging Obsidian on their current record... you're simply wrong. Or you're okay with horribly buggy games. (And anecdotal evidence that YOU didn't encounter a butt-ton of bugs with their games doesn't mean squat other than you being lucky.)

You know why Obsidian's games are so full of bugs? Look at the development times the publishers give them.

New Vegas: 18 months.
KOTOR2: 13 months.

No wonder your games are buggy when the developer only agrees to pay you for a fraction of the time it takes to actually develop an AAA game.

Obsidian has been repeatedly fucked over by large publishers. The publishers have Obsidian rush a sequel out on a budget so they can cash in on the success of their franchise, make a quick buck, and leave Obsidian with the bad will of a buggy game.

They had more time with Stick of Truth, and that was significantly less buggy than their previous efforts. I personally had no problems with the game, and from what I hear from others, it's on par with industry standards. However, they probably have Trey and Matt to thank for the extra support.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2014, 17:54.

11. Re: Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics Return to Steam Jun 19, 2014, 00:20 Yifes

Mad Max RW wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 00:09:
Bethesda handled all of the QA for New Vegas. Instead of having Obsidian fix the major problems they pushed for an immediate release. We all remember how great that turned out. The 80 metacritic score bonus was designed to fail.

Exactly. New Vegas could have easily achieved the 85% requirement if Bethesda gave them a little more time and resource to polish the game. Basically Bethesda as the publisher did everything they could to take advantage of a small indie developer. New Vegas made Bethesda hundreds of millions of dollars, while Obsidian was rewarded with personnel layoffs. What makes this scenario even more bitter is that the developers they bullied were the creators of the Fallout franchise.

So yeah, fuck Bethesda. Good thing I was never a big fan of the Elder Scrolls games.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2014, 00:32.

5. Re: Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics Return to Steam Jun 18, 2014, 21:43 Yifes

harlock wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 20:57:
fallout 4 from obsidian with skyrim engine would be so hot

After Bethesda screwed them over on New Vegas? Bethesda can go fuck themselves.

News Comments > Steam Top 10 Redux
24. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 5, 2014, 17:03 Yifes

Fion wrote on May 5, 2014, 16:41:
I've been playin the hell out of Dark Souls 2 myself, it's an addictive game. I'm a newbie to the series so I'm getting my ass kicked left and right but it's fun none the less.

I don't get why anyone would play Dark Souls 2 with mouse + kb. You wouldn't play a flight sim or a racing game with mouse + kb....why do that to yourself in Dark Souls 2? It's hard enough already.

Anyways, playing with a xbox 360 controller, and the game is a lot of fun. Well, except repeated getting ganked 2v1 in Belfry Luna...

News Comments > Dark Souls II PC Issues
8. Re: Dark Souls II PC Issues Apr 25, 2014, 22:40 Yifes

Frijoles wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 22:19:
Big soldier guys? Head to the forest. The mobs there are way easier. Unless you mean the pigs in the town.

The big ogre hippo thing... it was worth it though I had less trouble with the asylum demon lol

News Comments > Dark Souls II PC Issues
5. Re: Dark Souls II PC Issues Apr 25, 2014, 21:13 Yifes

Played about 5 hours so far, no issues at all (except that I'm constantly getting my ass handed to me... died 3 times at the first enemy... Dead )

A lot more effort was put into this than Dark Souls 1 for PC. I know that's not saying much, but good port so far. So much better playing at 2560x1440 with a SSD, and I only have a R9 270x atm - definitely not a $3K PC.

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2014, 21:22.

News Comments > StarCraft II Balance Testing
6. Re: StarCraft II Balance Testing Feb 2, 2014, 18:27 Yifes

Suppa7 wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 14:20:
I'm sorry but you are without a clue, I played pro and won tournments in world wide leagues. You have not random interent commenter.

Oh ok, which world wide pro tournaments have you won, and how does that make you an expert on Starcraft balance? I remind you that this thread is about Starcraft, so the examples you gave with Supreme Commander are useless. There's a reason why nobody took competitive Supreme Commander seriously.

Suppa7 wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 14:20:
Not only that you completely glossed over my comments about keeping units in play and unit introduction times (which is critical). Which is the fundamental source of imbalance in RTS games.

I glossed over your comments about "keeping units in play and unit introduction times (which is critical)", because frankly your English is terrible and what you wrote doesn't make any sense. You may have a valid point about game balancing, but you fail to communicate it properly.

And what you said about "If you just see units in terms of math stats things get much easier", that won't work. In starcraft you have units with special abilities that are unique. For example, the sentry's force field. In the right terrain, one force field can stop entire armies, while in the wrong terrain it is next to useless. How do you assign a number to that?

Anyways, balancing is very difficult, and most games are not well balanced. But great balance is possible (Broodwar) if the developers have the resource and dedication to do it properly, so your statement that RTS design is fundamentally flawed is wrong.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2014, 18:42.

News Comments > StarCraft II Balance Testing
4. Re: StarCraft II Balance Testing Feb 2, 2014, 13:40 Yifes

Suppa7 wrote on Feb 1, 2014, 22:37:
RTS design is fundamentally flawed when you have high unit counts and allow people to produce as many units as they want as fast as possible. In Supreme commander the game devolved into 'spam wars' with so many units and infinite resource model. Games could become extremely tedious.

Your criticism of RTS games is not valid because resources are not infinite in Starcraft. Your base has a limited amount of mineral patches, which can only be mined at a certain maximum rate. To increase your income, you need to divert resources into your economy by expanding to a second base. This puts you at risk because you will have more territory to defend with a smaller army.

To invest your finite resources into economy or units or research is one of the key strategic decisions that makes Starcraft interesting. A high level of balance is certainly achievable, and Starcraft: BW, was considered to be almost perfectly balanced at the highest level of competitive play.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2014, 13:55.

News Comments > 2013's Top Free-to-Play Games
51. Re: 2013's Top Free-to-Play Games Jan 20, 2014, 18:52 Yifes

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 13:47:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 12:28:
You don't have to pay for new characters. You can buy them using the in-game currency which you get every time you play a match. And if you play LoL on a regular basis, you'll always have enough in-game currency to buy new characters.

The only part of LoL that could qualify as P2W are the XP boosters. Your runes, masteries and summoner spells are all locked behind levels so a level 1 player has an inherent disadvantage against a level 30 player (though the matchmaking would never put them in the same match). You also have to pay for more rune pages, which is stupid.

Right most FTP's PTW or not have ways to get items through playing but obviously a lot of people are buying a lot of things, including things you could earn from free. See my 22 year old, at least a couple years back, put many hundreds getting the new toons as they came out. Looking for an edge anywhere.

That actually doesn't work because when you play a completely new champion, you will be shit for the first dozen games or so. Quite a few newly released champions were actually considered underpowered, until people managed to figure out how to use them.

Having a large champion pool can be advantageous, but that is only significant in the highest of ranked ladder matches. For everyone else who don't play LoL 10 hours a day, you'll do much better focusing on playing a small handful of champions, which is easily unlocked without spending any real money. Playing a few decent characters well produces much better results than spending a ton of money chasing whatever champion is popular the current patch.

Also, even the XP boosters Jerykk mentioned don't give you any real advantages. They make you gain levels faster, but then you'll end up matched against higher level and better opponents.

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls in March
19. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls in March Dec 19, 2013, 23:45 Yifes

Rattlehead wrote on Dec 19, 2013, 22:33:
Both Dark Souls 2 and South Park come out in March, why on earth would anyone get this, especially after the dumpster fire that was D3. Do you really expect anything good from this company anymore? Is your $40 worth throwing down the drain to a bunch of incompetent assholes who make a superior console version while forcing your ass to stay online at all times?

Is Dark Souls 2 coming out for PC in March? I better get around to playing Dark Souls 1 then.

Also, while Blizzard's games are no long genre defining gems of PC gaming, their games are still good. And D3 was a pretty good game as long you judge it as a game and not as a 300 hundred hour long offline loot drop simulator.

881 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo