Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Tampa, FL 10/09
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Yifes

Real Name Yifes   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Yifes
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 21, 2002, 00:39
Total Comments 899 (Graduate)
User ID 15316
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > StarCraft II 3.0 & Whispers of Oblivion Released
9. Re: StarCraft II 3.0 & Whispers of Oblivion Released Oct 7, 2015, 14:28 Yifes
Kxmode wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 13:52:
I meant Complete from a story narrative. Does each game pick up the stories from the prior (e.g. Life is Strange, 24) or are they separate narrations that's happening in parallel (e.g. Starcraft 1, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers)?

Starcraft 1's story did not occur in parallel. Each campaign took place in chronological order after the the other. For example, Mengsk abandoning human Kerrigan at the end of the human campaign, and in the Zerg campaign you witness her birth as a zerg. The format of the campaign is grossly the same as in Starcraft 2, but much more varied.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2015, 14:35.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2015, 17:49 Yifes
This is only Twitch viewer numbers, and notably does not include asian countries where LoL is hugely popular. If you look at last year's finals, there were 27 million viewers in total, which is on the same order of magnitude as a lot of major sports.

Not quite Superbowl or World Cup numbers, but it beats the Olympics, the NBA, MLB, and the NHL.
News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Sep 26, 2015, 11:21 Yifes
DukeFNukem wrote on Sep 26, 2015, 11:12:
Blood Bowl 2 on Christ Centered Gamer? LOL. Okay then.

"Moral Warnings: Lots of violence, some female eye candy"

LOL - What about an entire race made up of the worshipers and servants of the demonic Chaos gods?
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 22, 2015, 19:16 Yifes
Stormsinger wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 10:57:
I didn't realize this sociopath was involved in LoL. But it does raise the question: why do assholes like LoL so much? Because the game sure seems to attract them like honey does flies.

MOBAs don't attract assholes, they create them. MOBAs are very competitive, takes a large time investment per match (~30 min+), and require teamwork. It's easy to get frustrate and blame others when your team loses.

Shitty childish behavior of the player base aside, this douchebag has nothing to do with the pro LoL scene (which is actually quite well run and one of the most legitimate "esports" out there), as he only owns an amateur team that failed to make it to the pro league.
News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend
35. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Sep 13, 2015, 01:43 Yifes
Tulwinn wrote on Sep 12, 2015, 15:25:
Thanks guys I appreciate the info, I will go for the Complete Pack. I would have tried it this weeked but have vistors so no play time for me

Keep in mind the new XCOM is quite different from UFO:EU, and some aspect of it may be frustrating. The strategic layer for example, is no longer a strategic simulation, and more like an artificial board game where you try desperately to manage countries' panic until you get your satellite coverage up. Satellite determines income and help manage panic, and are now the most important aspect of the geoscape.

The tactical game has also significantly changed, but despite removing some staples of UFO like time units and inventory management, I think Firaxis made a damn good game and a worthy sequel. Once you beaten Enemy Within on Classic, I highly recommend you check out The Long War mod, which makes significant changes and improvements to the game. I think Enemy Within + The Long War has now replaced UFO:EU as my favorite game in the series, despite all the nostalgia I have with UFO.
31. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Sep 12, 2015, 11:47 Yifes
Tulwinn wrote on Sep 12, 2015, 03:53:
Hi guys could someone give me a little advice, I was a big fan of UFO but havent tried this until now. Ive seen enemy within mentioned so I looked at getting the pack XCOM: Enemy Unknown Complete Pack but I noticed it doesnt include the bureau (which has its own pack XCOM: Enemy Unknown + The Bureau). Does any one have any advice which to get, what order to try, or all of them? Thanks

Get XCOM: Enemy Unknown complete pack. It contains the base game, Enemy Unknown, plus the excellent expansion Enemy Within, which adds tons of maps, new items, new soldier classes (Mecs), etc. Enemy Within is NOT a sequel, so you can start an Enemy Within campaign right away and skip the vanilla EU campaign without missing anything.

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is an one time spin-off 3rd person shooter that really has nothing to do with XCOM, story wise or gameplay. You can get it if you want, but it has bad reviews and is a waste of time if you ask me.
26. Re: Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend Sep 11, 2015, 20:00 Yifes
Minuit wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 16:48:
LiTh wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 15:55:
This....Classic/Ironman is the starting difficulty, anything less is carebear mode.

Try the Long War mod. The original game on Impossible is like watching the opening movie compared to Long War.

The Long War is simply amazing, a must play for any XCOM fan. Even the makers of XCOM are huge fans of the mod. But holy shit is it hard... Exalt missions in the Long War are serious potentially team wiping disasters...

Krovven wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 15:46:
I'm not a massive XCom fan and was both pleased and frustrated with XCom:EU. It was a fun game, but there were too many weird line of sight and accuracy issues.

There will be a new line of sight tool in XCOM 2 that lets you check LOS before you move, so no more LOS issues.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2015, 20:13.
News Comments > Overwatch Trailer
14. Re: Overwatch Trailer Jun 18, 2015, 08:11 Yifes
Luke wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 05:44:
Well mr wiseguy in HIS eyes it is poorly done..ok
just because you bend Down and say "give it to me" does not meen he or other has too.....jezz

Just because you don't understand the difference between opinion and objective analysis it does not "meen" Jerykk's argument is wrong.
News Comments > XCOM 2 Gameplay Footage
20. Re: XCOM 2 Gameplay Footage Jun 17, 2015, 23:52 Yifes
ForgedReality wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 11:20:
They keep saying "procedural" blah blah, but then it's filled with scripted bullshit. That's kinda lame.

They are only showing the tutorial mission. The first XCOM had scripted crap in the tutorial mission too, but the rest of the game was not like that.
News Comments > Saturday Interviews
3. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 6, 2015, 14:49 Yifes
Sounds almost too good to be true...  
News Comments > XCOM 2 Announced
5. Re: XCOM 2 Announced Jun 1, 2015, 17:34 Yifes
Holy shit I am so psyched for this game!

And a PC exclusive too!!!!
News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Version 1.04 Released; Beta Patches Coming
24. Re: Pillars of Eternity Version 1.04 Released; Beta Patches Coming Apr 17, 2015, 23:20 Yifes
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 17, 2015, 21:01:
The many fans of the Might&Magic games (and other games like Drakensang which had a continuous progression where you leveled up all the time) like myself disagree very strongly with you. OK, the party in M&M VI and VII was only made up of four playable peeps, not six, but IIRC you ended up around level 60 to 70 when finishing a completionist kind of run through MM VII. So that was a lot of level-ups and like the vast majority of the fans of the series I enjoyed every single one of them.

Translated to PoE with a party of six that would equal a level cap of about 40 by the way or each character would level up every 2.5 hours on average going with the 100 hours total game time figure. That's hardly stressful or anything. Even if it was only HALF that, it would be infinitely more interesting than their stupid low level cap which makes every level-up and character progression about as exciting as watching paint dry.

And if PoE was a spiritual successor to Might and Magic then you'd have a point. Except POE is a spiritual successor to the old infinity engine games, and many fans of the Infinity engine games would disagree very strongly with you. And I don't see why Obsidian would shit on all their fans by adopting the level system of another game. If you want your own M&M successor, then you can wait for your own remake to kickstart.

Besides, if you need the carrot on a stick approach of constant level ups to keep you interested in a game, then maybe you should reconsider why you're playing it in the first place.
News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Version 1.04 Released; Beta Patches Coming
18. Re: Pillars of Eternity Version 1.04 Released; Beta Patches Coming Apr 17, 2015, 17:57 Yifes
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 17, 2015, 14:10:
The low level cap is one of the many(!) completely inexplicable "old school" weaknesses they have baked into this game based on the D&D heritage of the Infinity engine games.

Instead they did.... this. A total of 12 (TWELVE!) epic levels in a 100 hour game. You can only have fun every eight hours per Sawyer's order. If you dare to have fun in between thou shalt chastise thouself with a cat-o'-nine-tails. And don't forget to pull a toe nail or two as well...

Your complaint is valid if you're only controlling one character. No one would want to level 6 different characters 50 times each throughout the game. It would be tedious, not fun.
News Comments > Steam & Dota 2 Records
9. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 16, 2015, 14:54 Yifes
Suppa7 wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 14:32:
You're too stupid to understand this. We could take the top moba players and put them into a high speed game of Quake 3 and UT2004 and watch them be destroyed in seconds.

And you can take the top UT2004 and Quake 3 players in the world and put them in a high speed end game moba teamfight and watch them get destroyed in less than a second :/

I'm talking about the SPEED OF THE GAME EVENTS themselves. The time between events in quake 3 happen MUCH MUCH faster. Where the mathematical distance between events in MOBA's is much wider and slower.

When you have 5 enemy players diving your carries, each player with 4 abilities, + summoner spells, + activate-able items, that's a lot of events that can happen in less than a second, and you can get 100-0 in a blink of an eye.

You're too stupid to understand this.

Well, it looks like Verno is right and you are just another bullshit troll.

News Comments > Steam & Dota 2 Records
7. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 16, 2015, 14:04 Yifes
Suppa7 wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 13:21:
The masses don't have the reflexes for more complex RTS games like Starcraft. That's why MOBA's took off. MOBA's cater to the reflex retards and that's the majority of PC and console gamers sadly.

Except that's not true at all. You cannot compare MOBA gameplay to MMO gameplay. Reflexes and split second decision making are a crucial part of MOBAs. Spell shielding an ultimate a millisecond too late or picking the wrong target in a chaotic late game teamfight will cost you the game.

Examples (Sorry for the poor video quality, did some quick youtube searches off the top of my head):
The red team player outplays the blue team player in a 1v1 mirror match, despite starting the fight at a huge disadvantage, through better reflexes, aim, and clever use of his character's shadow abilities.

Second example:
Late game teamfights can get incredibly complex and chaotic. Keeping track of all players, important abilities, positioning, and reacting cohesively as a team is very difficult. There is a huge skill gap between even the top tier professional teams and the mid tier pro teams.
8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 3, 2014, 00:51 Yifes
Suppa7 wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 15:01:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 10:57:
27 million? Wow, there really is no hope for humanity.

You have to remember kids are constantly being born into the world and LOL is videogames for retards, that's why it's successful. The same way MMO's are successful, they cater to people who can't play videogames to save their lives and hence are the lowest common denominator in terms of intelligence. Reflexes and intelligence are correlated, that's why games like Descent, fast paced FPS games like quake, the masses just can't handle them.

The skillcap for high level LoL is insane. Part of the reason why viewership for the finals dropped this year is that nobody really expected a non korean team to beat the reigning korean champs. LoL is the successor to Starcraft in the Korean esports scene, and the dedication, professionalism, quality, and level of skill of the korean scene is basically unmatched in the rest of the world. Comparing the Quake and Descent scene to LoL is like comparing highschool basketball to the NBA. Your Quake and Descent players wouldnt be able to handle that level of competition.
News Comments > Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M
31. Re: Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M Sep 24, 2014, 13:48 Yifes
How is the combat compared to Shadowrun? Loved Dragonfall despite the simplistic combat.  
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 24, 2014, 13:43 Yifes
Henry Dorsett wrote on Sep 24, 2014, 10:26:
Once again, Riot dodges the real issue: Their ranking system is shit. No matter how well you do, if your team loses, your ranking score drops. You can have 100 kills and no deaths and your team can still lose, so you'll still suffer. Which means, unless you can reliably win every game with zero help from anyone, there's no reliable way to advance in solo-queue ranked play.

Their system is the right way. This is a team game where coordination and team work matters more than individual performance. That support who has 0 kills but saves your ass 20 times in a row and secures map and objective control deserves just as much credit for the win as the guy who goes 20 - 0. Allowing individual score to factor into game ranking will worsen the community and turn every player into selfish twats who only care about their KDA. If you have a problem with this then go play a shooter like Call of Duty.

If are truly better than everyone else, you WILL end up winning more games than you lose, and your ranking will average out to your true level over time.
News Comments > Firefly Online Trailer
5. Re: Firefly Online Trailer Jul 27, 2014, 15:33 Yifes
Wallshadows wrote on Jul 27, 2014, 14:02:
Pre-purchase now to help Netflix buy the rights from Fox and start working on season 2.

With Whedon busy with the Avengers and the actors engaged in other projects, it's never going to happen.

I hope this game is good but I highly doubt it.
News Comments > The International Tourney on TV
8. Re: The International Tourney on TV Jul 17, 2014, 19:03 Yifes
Osc8r wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 18:47:
How do people still play LOL, let alone watch it? Dota is superior in most area's, and doesn't have graphics from the atari st era.

Yes the graphics in DOTA2 are better, but LOL is catching up with constant visual updates. The new characters look great and the map is getting a modern rework which is currently on the test servers. As for the rest of the game, really the only major advantage DOTA 2 has over League is that DOTA's client is significantly better, but League is working on that too. As for the gameplay itself, both games are fundamentally different, so it's really matter of preference, and what game most of your friends play.

The aspect of LOL that is much better than DOTA 2 is the professional scene. DOTA2 has the TI which is great, but LOL actually has an full time league, which like a real sport has regular season games and playoffs, not just one off tournaments like DOTA. Additionally, LOL is by far the most popular game in Korea and China (DOTA2 is pretty much nonexistent), and has inherited Korea's esports crown from Brood War. Esport's mainstream popularity in Korea means that as far as production values and player talent is concerned, they are on another level. Basically what this means is that while the TI is going on, I'll watch DOTA, and for the rest of the year I'll watch OGN and League.
899 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo