Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jon

Real Name jon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Syntarsus
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 19, 2002, 00:05
Total Comments 475 (Amateur)
User ID 15284

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Quickie Tech Bit
15. George Orwell Lucas Feb 10, 2004, 13:41 Syntarsus

I can't wait for Lucas's re-edit of "American Graffiti", where he changes the police car that gets booby-trapped by Richard Dreyfus into a '71 Pontiac LeMans full of gangbangers.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Total Annihilation Follow-up
55. Re: No subject Feb 9, 2004, 14:22 Syntarsus

One of the feature I think Chris Taylor is very good at in including in his games (including Dungeon Siege) is a simple and easy to use interface - and that interface plays a huge role in lowering the learning curve. I have found TA and Dungeon Siege easier to get into and start playing, compared to SC/WC and Diablo, respectively.

Same here. Starcraft and its ilk had too many 'special ability' units that had to be micromanaged to the hilt (I'm thinking of that scorpion-looking thing that could sap enemy units' health). They look great on paper, but actually using them was too much work for too little overall payoff. With SC, I always felt like I was fighting the interface more than the opponent.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. AK-MP3 Feb 9, 2004, 13:19 Syntarsus

"This is our bit for world peace - hopefully, from now on many militants and terrorists will use their AK-47s to listen to music and audio books."

Just when you think you've heard everything...

So who wants to be the first one to take his new 'music player' to the airport?

News Comments > Total Annihilation Follow-up
50. Re: No subject Feb 9, 2004, 11:12 Syntarsus

TA had several features that made it stand above the crowd:

• Ability to pause the game and stack commands
  • Complex patrol routes
  • 'smart' repair bots
  • destroyed units could be scavenged for scrap or left as obstacles

• Amazingly, some developers cough*blizzard*cough have yet to employ any of these even after 7 years..

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 11:13.

News Comments > Dungeon Siege Bonus Pack
    15. Re: Really... Feb 7, 2004, 01:28 Syntarsus

I dunno, there's more to DS's shittiness than that. Diablo 2 was the most addictively fun game I've ever played, and you've pretty well described it there, too.

Something about DS, I'm not sure... Christ, it was boring though.

DS was pretty monotonous, but I don't get how anyone could think it was anything but better than Diablo 2. D2 had the same repetitive click-kill-click-move combat, but also threw in those characterless, randomly generated maps, which sent its tedium level into the stratosphere.

13. "Wardrobe Malfunction" Feb 2, 2004, 11:39 Syntarsus

I love it. That term is a perfect addition to the lexicon of bullshit phrases such as "I am not a crook", "I didn't inhale", etc. And MTV/CBS not-even-remotely-convincing attempt at playing stupid about it is one of the reasons I quit watching network TV altogether years ago.

Anyway, I think "wardrobe malfunction" can now be freely used to signify that moment when an aging, fading pop star makes his or her last gasp for attention before circling the drain.

There were three boobs in those pictures, and two of them had first names beginning with J.

News Comments > Dogpile on GTA
    16. Will work for votes Jan 26, 2004, 11:53 Syntarsus

Awww.. Don't these politicians look cute the way they scream and flail as they circle the drain?

24. Re: Outlook 2k3 Jan 13, 2004, 13:26 Syntarsus

Being a happy user of Agent for several years, I've never felt the need to use Outlook, but I'm pretty surprised that it took them this long to come up with a way to disable image downloads. It's a good thing MS doesn't make video cards. They'd only now just be getting around to 3D acceleration.

News Comments > Soldiers: Heroes of WW2 Announced
    8. Re: No subject Jan 13, 2004, 13:08 Syntarsus

As played out as the WWII setting is, it's still a drop in the bucket compared to all the Sims crap that's taking over shelf space like space pods from Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

24. Re: death to PC gaming! Dec 16, 2003, 14:14 Syntarsus

Actually, I kind of agree with the original poster. There really isn't much that's being done on PCs nowadays that can't be done on consoles...

Please. If you want a flight sim, the PC gives you IL-2, one of the best ever made, whilst consoles give you Secret Weapons Over Normandy (the Britney Spears of flight sims).

12. Re: Skewed data Dec 16, 2003, 12:27 Syntarsus

But it is a simple given that consoles outsell PC games by a hideously large amount, and eventually some stores that can't afford the space will probably stop selling PC games altogether.

The Gamestop in my area doesn't sell PC games at all and it's been that way for at least 2 years.

3. Re: Xbox deflects real bullets. Dec 3, 2003, 10:54 Syntarsus

If only Windows was as bulletproof...

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Lock On: Modern Air Combat
    15. Scripted Campaigns Nov 22, 2003, 13:09 Syntarsus

The problem with campaigns in "action" sims like Strike Commander, US Navy Fighters, space sims, etc., is that the key to success always came down not to pilot skill, but memorizing the scripted events. So you usually were forced down a sequence of actions that you would never, ever have performed on the first try.

Not only that, but the 'superman' aspect of me having to down 12-15 enemies per mission, while my wingies stood around with their thumbs up their keister, never appealed either. I guess the space sims are OK in that department, but in a WWII or modern flight sim, immersion is the key for me.

I could see someone coming up with a set of canned missions that had lots of room for variables - sort of a canned/dynamic hybrid - in which you have a scripted main objective, but could encounter random patrols, or experience random behavior from your target. But it seems like no one wants to try something like that. It's like they can't resist forcing me to deal with the same squadron of MIGs here, and another set of Sukhois there, or making me realize that no matter what I do, those tanks are going to blow up the bridge anyway...

News Comments > Sunday Preview
    17. Re: Guess what... Nov 17, 2003, 11:32 Syntarsus

On the official X2 boards I'm hearing the date for US shipping is now Nov 27th... ugh.

How nice of the USPS and stores around the country to open up on a holiday just to get X2 out to us.

News Comments > Sunday Preview
    3. Re: Isn't this coming out on the 18th? Nov 16, 2003, 18:21 Syntarsus

and something else that's pretty cool but I can't quite remember what it was.

Once Upon a Time in the West DVD

26. Re: p.s. Oct 21, 2003, 15:41 Syntarsus

But, if you insist:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/504208/nopayweb/103-2653411-1095032

I don't know what's scarier - the fact that those costumes exist or the fact that they are all sold out.

21. Re: Ouch Oct 15, 2003, 12:02 Syntarsus

He claims he can patch it up with some tooth bondo or something...

My last dentist would prescribe a root canal for this. Or any other ailment for that matter.

38. Re: Kill Bill? What a load of crap. Oct 12, 2003, 18:06 Syntarsus

Whatever happened to getting to see the whole movie the first time around and then maybe a sequel later..

Something tells me the success of Lord of the Rings had a role in this, and if Kill Bill does well, which seems very likely, then we can expect a lot more of it to come.

Segmented movies, glaring copy-protection dots, commercials.. My movie-going days are drawing to a close methinks.

25. Overkill Bill Oct 11, 2003, 23:12 Syntarsus

So was I the only one disappointed in this mess? 90 minutes of cartoon violence, 10 minutes of characters slowly unsheathing swords, and 10 minutes ripping off other movies. Everything from Pink Panther to Battle Royale (and didn't that girl stab a guy in the crotch in that movie as well?). Where's the plot? Where's the fun dialogue that's the hallmark of all QT's movies?

Not a terrible flick - it had its moments - but it is easily Tarantino's worst. Soundtrack was very cool, however.

News Comments > Wings of Honour Demo Flies Again
    7. Re: No subject Sep 26, 2003, 15:27 Syntarsus

Speaking of which, can you even eject?

Eject?! Ejecting's for pussies!

Seriously, bailing out for the most part was not standard practice for WWI pilots. The chutes would have added too much weight to the plane, and some air forces would not allow them anyway, for fear that the pilots would abandon their expensive aircrafts at the first sight of danger. The Germans used them toward the end of the war, but even for them I think it was rather rare.

True ejector seats (i.e. being fired from aircraft) did not come about until the end of WWII. I think the German He-162 was one of the first production combat aircraft to use them, as the top mounted jet engine would have made the standard method of evacuation (manually opening canopy and climbing out) rather dangerous.

475 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 23.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo