Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for jon

Real Name jon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Syntarsus
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 19, 2002, 00:05
Total Comments 475 (Amateur)
User ID 15284

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: No subject May 2, 2005, 16:04 Syntarsus

George Bush, for example, has never vehemently opposed evolution but has stated on a number of occasions that "alternatives" should be taught in science classes.

This alternative science thing could really catch on big.

I can't wait for the astronomy classes that teach us the sunrise/sunset is not caused by planetary rotation, but by Helios pulling his sun chariot across the sky. I also eagerly anticipate the alternative medical classes, which instruct the best way of dealing with mental illness is with a good burning at the stake. And then there's the sex ed classes...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Watch Out! Apr 29, 2005, 18:01 Syntarsus

Awesome ragdoll physics in that video!

I wonder how great the temptation was for the sound man of the news station to insert some bowling sound effects into that clip..

News Comments > The Mod Squads - Q2-DOOM 3 Screenshots
16. Looks like a quality effort, but... Apr 23, 2005, 18:51 Syntarsus

I never could quite figure out the difference between Quake and Doom. Slightly different monsters and weapons, I guess. Anyway, I look forward to seeing a Medal of Honor conversion for Call of Duty sometime soon.

5. Guess the Google Apr 23, 2005, 18:22 Syntarsus

This could be fun if they increased the size of their image database. Looks like they only have about 50 or so, making it pretty much a speed-typing contest. I mustered a score of 382 after 7 or 8 tries. I'm wondering though, how the top scorers managed to get above 400 when that appears to be the best possible score.

News Comments > Scarface Cast
7. Re: No subject Apr 21, 2005, 17:12 Syntarsus

I wonder what Marty Scorcese thinks about this. Probably not to happy. Marty never glorifed these people, that was important..

I suppose we would know more about what he thinks about this if any of his movies ever got adapted as videogames. Fortunately, that hasn't happened yet, though I have to admit I would be mildly interested in playing Rupert Pupkin in a videogame where I kidnap talk show hosts whilst evading the feds.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
2. Game Advertising Apr 20, 2005, 13:28 Syntarsus

I can already see the day where, after booting up the next GTA or NFS or whatever for some single-player action, you are unable to, since the STEAM-like servers are down and therefore unable to load that day's commercials into the game.

5. SWAT Monkeys Apr 20, 2005, 13:02 Syntarsus

I'm trying to picture a 5 lb. monkey running around in a kevlar vest whilst lugging a video camera and 2-way radio around. And I suppose the advantage of the vest would be that instead of a single 9mm round turning the little guy into an instant ketchup stain, he'd only get sent flying 100 feet with massive internal trauma.

News Comments > GameStop Buys Electronics Boutique
39. A great day for PC Gaming Apr 18, 2005, 17:41 Syntarsus

EB's consoles, crapola, and plastic action figures joining forces with Gamestop's consoles, crapola, and used DVDs. There hasn't been a superpower this potent since Damn Yankees.

19. Re: Woman beats off burglar with gnome Apr 17, 2005, 11:27 Syntarsus

I had a girlfriend once beat me off with a plastic flamingo. Wasn't too bad, except for the metal legs jabbing me in the balls.

News Comments > Jagged Alliance 3D
11. Jagged Appliance Apr 12, 2005, 15:10 Syntarsus

Personally, I'm most excited about the more than 100 kinds of furniture. Finally, I'll be able to play out my dream of opening indiscriminate fire in an RC Willy.

News Comments > NFS: Most Wanted Announced
8. No subject Apr 11, 2005, 12:28 Syntarsus

Porsche Unleashed was pretty good. Easily the high point of the NFS franchise. I wish they'd take the classic musclecar concept they wasted on NFS Online and apply it to a single player game. I can't bring myself to try any of the Underground series. Tooling around in a Puegeot 206 or VW Golf that needs spinning rims to improve my "street cred"? Not for me, thanks.

3. Bionic Suit Apr 11, 2005, 11:45 Syntarsus

Looks pretty cool, but I'd have to balk a little at trusting any piece of technology named HAL, let alone one controlling my limbs.

"Bionic arm, I want to pick up that pencil"

"I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that. Let's go to the window ledge instead.."

That's almost as good as the car company whose name is the acronym for Killed In Action.

News Comments > Coppola Down on Godfather Game
15. Re: He's right Apr 9, 2005, 03:29 Syntarsus

So yeah: Coppola doesn't want to see one of his great films turned into a shitty game. Would anyone?

Just the other day I was thinking it would be pretty cool to have a FPS based on The Conversation..

News Comments > Call of Duty 2 Announced
20. No subject Apr 7, 2005, 19:15 Syntarsus

I hope it won't be as ridiculously overscripted as the CoD add-on was. I gave up on that one about four levels in. Got tired of having to restart a level because the scripting broke down, or getting blown up by the German Omniscient Artillery Spotters when I backtracked too far...

44. Warhawk's Movie Quote Feb 11, 2005, 17:03 Syntarsus

O Brother Where Art Thou, one of my favorites from that year.

The quote works better, though, with Tim Blake Nelson's punchline.

News Comments > RCT3: Soaked! Announced
8. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2005, 16:04 Syntarsus

The initial release had some pretty nasty bugs - guests ignoring rides, maintainence crew walking off the job or going round in circles - but that all seems to have been taken care of with the patch. At least it seems much better for me now. I've never really had any performance problems, either, until the park starts getting really big. And I've got a pretty outdated system (Athlon 2100, 512 MB, TI 4200).

I agree with cia. Aside from a rougher interface, RCT3 is much better than the previous versions.

39. Re: Ads Feb 7, 2005, 15:42 Syntarsus

As usual, after viewing the funniest ad of the bunch (the cat and the girlfriend), I'm still not able to recall the name of the advertiser or even the type of product they were hawking. No-spill cookware? Cutlery? Pet adoption? I honestly have no clue (and would prefer to keep it that way).

The movie ads looked like the usual dreck. Vin Diesel remaking that Hulk Hogan Commando Nanny thing? Yeeesh. War of the Worlds looks pretty interesting, though. Watching that freeway get turned over like an omelette was pretty cool (God, the number of times I wished I could do something just like that..)

38. Re: HL2 Movie Feb 6, 2005, 11:44 Syntarsus

How about The Arrival? ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115571/ ) I always thought that had more than a couple of similarities to Half Life.

3. RIP John Vernon Feb 4, 2005, 09:38 Syntarsus

Better known as Dean Wormer from Animal House

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/04/obit.vernon.ap/index.html

Terrific character-actor villain and one of the all-time great voices. It turned up in a few games in recent years (Baldurs Gate 2, Red Alert 2), but I'll always remember him as Fletcher from The Outlaw Josey Wales (the finest western ever) as the 'good' heavy, but he was cool in Point Blank, Charley Varrick, and The Black Windmill also. I liked his warden character in Chained Heat and his Mr. Big from I'm Gonna Git You Sucka too.

42. Re: LOL!! Feb 3, 2005, 15:48 Syntarsus

The beginning wasn't so bad, the temporal episodes were very spread out. Then but BOOM! They go into the friggin expanse, hunting down Osama's weapon of mass destruction while acting all militaristic.

Okay, I'm pretty ignorant about the whole Star Trek franchise - I gave up watching about 2/3 of the way thru TNG, when as someone else aptly put, every other ep had a holodeck crisis, or my favorite: Data and his damn Pinocchio complex - and thus have never seen a single episode of Enterprise, so I have to ask: Did they really cram Osama and WMDs into the storyline of a Trek series, or is it one of those deals where they apply analogy via sledgehammer like they did in Silver City?

475 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo