Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Stanly Manly

Real Name Stanly Manly   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 17, 2002, 22:48
Total Comments 342 (Amateur)
User ID 15272

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Announced
150. Re: No subject Jun 29, 2008, 16:58 Stanly Manly

Well, I'm sure that Diablo III will bomb, selling a mere 1 million copies or so, with 15-20 million copies of it being pirated.

For those who have yet to drink their coffee, that was sarcasm.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve: PC Gaming is the Future
5. Re: No subject Jun 27, 2008, 18:00 Stanly Manly

But... but... what about the 15/20 to 1 piracy rate? Hah!

News Comments > Jumpgate Evolution Beta Sign-ups
6. Re: Is this the open beta. . . Jun 26, 2008, 16:56 Stanly Manly

The sign up page just plain didn't work for me. I'd enter all the information in, click submit, and it would take me right back to the same page, with a nice red "1" at the top. What does this red "1" signify? One of the last great mysteries of the universe...

News Comments > Turbine Generates Funding
8. Funding. Jun 5, 2008, 06:42 Stanly Manly

Well, I guess Turbine has to get money from somewhere, because they sure don't get it from subscribers to their games.

On a side note, Turbine has always received money from capital investment companies in Boston... wonder what the connection to Time Warner is. Off to find out...

EDIT: Well, heres GGV's connection to Boston http://www.ggvc.com/team/scottbonham.aspx

EDIT2: Seems it would take a bit of work to find the Time Warner connection. Oh well. Turbine is great at convincing capital investment companies to lose money on them. I guess its easy when half the people who run Turbine are also board members of said investment companies. Can you say Boiler Room?

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 06:55.

News Comments > On Mass Effect & Spore Copy Protection
282. Re: @Jerykk May 8, 2008, 18:47 Stanly Manly

I think you will see a lot more of this 'Periodic Activation Check' based DRM anyway, so you'd better get used to it. If I had my way, the project I mentioned earlier would do that and kill all but the most current installation.

I know this is a bit late, but I couldn't help but comment.

This is complete and utter hogwash. I will not "get used to it". What you better get used to is legitimate gamers NOT buying your games if you keep treatings us all like criminals.

So stick that in your fucking pipe and smoke it. Dickheads like you are what ruin PC gaming, not pirates. Fuck off.

News Comments > LotRO Wants You Back
15. Re: No subject May 7, 2008, 15:27 Stanly Manly

Yin and Yang, yanno ;).

News Comments > LotRO Wants You Back
13. Re: No subject May 7, 2008, 15:02 Stanly Manly

It never fails. Any mention of LORTO, and the freakish Turbine fanbois come out of the woodwork to slam WoW and its customers.

Fact of the matter is this. Without the LOTR part, LOTRO would have nothing going for it. If Turbine is already offering an incentive to get subscribers back, obviously the game is tanking, as it should.

I'm sure the Turbine PR team will spin this somehow, and the fanbio's will tell us its their servers are overflowing with subscribers, etc etc. You know, those same 11 server that the game had at its start, the ones that haven't needed to be upgraded, nor have any additions to handle the "millions" who were going to play the game.

Yet another Turbine flop.

News Comments > On Mass Effect & Spore Copy Protection
77. Re: In for a penny, out for a pound May 6, 2008, 18:13 Stanly Manly

One simple "word" to put this all into perspective.

Divx.

Thank you, drive through.

News Comments > Korea ♥'s Hellgate: London
17. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2008, 15:01 Stanly Manly

Seems like Flagship is taking marketing lessons from Turbine.

News Comments > April F-F-Foolin', Part Three
3. Re: No subject Apr 1, 2008, 15:05 Stanly Manly

That zelda trailer really really made me wish it was real. Simply outstanding. Someone... please... make that movie!!

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: No subject Jan 19, 2008, 16:10 Stanly Manly

Awesome.

Awesome to the max.

News Comments > Christmas Eve Tech Bits
5. Re: No subject Dec 25, 2007, 01:05 Stanly Manly

Wow, why link this drivel? Seriously, just because some jackass with mudslinging to sell sends you a link, doesn't mean it has any validity. Anyone with half a brain can tell its just trying to promote HD-DVD through FUD tactics.

Seems any idiot with a blog gets national attention these days... sad.

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 01:05.

News Comments > On DirectX 10 Performance
15. Re: No subject Jul 5, 2007, 16:56 Stanly Manly

If more devs start putting out Linux versions of their games, I'd be glad to drop Windows once and for all.

News Comments > Saga Beta Opens
1. Paying for booster packs. Jul 5, 2007, 15:58 Stanly Manly

Now, I'm not sure how they are going to implement this feature, but my initial kneejerk reaction is this: In a PvP oriented game, wouldn't this dynamic basically boil down every encounter to "whoever buys the most wins"?

News Comments > Sword of the New World Beta
6. Re: Korean MOGs Jun 27, 2007, 15:27 Stanly Manly

YAKPAC MMO.

(Yet Another Korean Point and Click)

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Transformers: The Game
23. Re: CC extreme mega-ness Jun 26, 2007, 16:06 Stanly Manly

By the way I'm never going to forgive Bay and crew (and Volkswagon) for making BUMBLEBEE a farking camaro! BUMBLEBEE is a VW beetle... and that's that!

I'm pretty sure that all the cars in the movie are GM cars, and a lot of money was paid to make sure that was the case. There was a huge 3 page foldout ad in some car magazine I glanced at the other day, and it was a GM ad with 4 GM vehicle transformers.

Honestly, I think thats just sad. A movie that is essentially one big advertisement for the flailing US carmaker.

News Comments > Lord of the Rings Online Patch Notes
7. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2007, 18:53 Stanly Manly

I guess the Turbine shills are coming to the BN forums now, too. Figures.

News Comments > SimCity Societies Announced
3. Re: No subject Jun 12, 2007, 19:02 Stanly Manly

Hopefully I can make a society full of religious fanatics from opposing faiths and watch them ethnically cleanse eachother with suicide bombers and anthrax.

News Comments > Saturday Q&As
14. Re: Jeff Anderson is a fucking tool. Jun 10, 2007, 17:35 Stanly Manly

Yea, there is a reason WoW is popular and it has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the game. It has everything to do with the content of the game, you take Warcraft and it's droves of mindless fanboys and attach it to an MMO game and you have instant success. Tack on Blizzard's used-to-be good name and you have pretty much a game that could've been nothing more than flat land with people standing around dancing.

You mean, in your opinion... I'm fairly confident that if Blizzard put out a game that was just flat land, that it wouldn't be very successful. Not to make you appear foolish or anything...

There is absolutely no reason that WoW should have the content issues that it does have with the serious amount of cash coming in. They should be able to churn out quality content at least every other month with the sheer profits from the game, however they have not done this and seeing as it is 2 years old now, I doubt they will ever hop on to that bandwagon.

You seem to be under the impression that if you create a great game and it becomes popular, that all the sudden you have to work harder and put out more content simply because you make more profit. Blizzard employee's seem to work to the best of their abilities. Just because the game is making more money, doesn't mean there are suddenly more hours in the day, that the modelers/level designers/programmers can type faster, test better, and just plain do more.

Turbine has many things going for it, experience being one of them. Not all of their games have had quality success for one reason or another, sometimes of their own doing and sometimes of the doing of other parties. But you cannot say that Turbine doesn't know what they are doing when it comes to creating MMOs.

I certainly can say Turbine doesn't know what they are doing when it comes to MMO's. You said it yourself, not all of their games have had quality success. I could write you a novel on the reasons why. But I'll give you just one, developer hubris. Just like you, Turbine thinks that just because they've been around for 10 years, that they know what MMORPG players want. They may have an idea what Turbine fans want, but as it has been shown in all of their games to date, Turbine fans are not representative of the majority of MMORPG players.

AC had perhaps the most content and continues on today being actively and steadily updated, that's something you cannot say for any other mainstream title out there, including WoW. LOTRO's game has just under the same amount of content that WoW did at it's core launch, and they only dealt with one side of it. It doesn't seem to be doing too terribly bad considering it's sales numbers, and if you take gauge of the forums for the playerbase, like someone else said, you'd expect WoW to be closing up shop tomorrow.

I played AC for a while, and experienced their "content" first hand. I realize that some content patches may have been larger, but all of the ones I experienced in the 4 months I played amounted to about 3 hours of running through a dungeon to get the item, then you never had to go back. Neat.

LOTRO has about 1/4 of the content that WoW did at launch, if what I have read and surmised is correct.

I already talked about WoW forums vs LOTRO forums. There is a very big distinction. WoW forums are filled with a lot of heated discussions because people care about the game. The feel a profound sense of attachment to it. In the LOTRO forums, the tone is far more muted when people talk about leaving or quitting, because they just don't seem to care.

If WoW is so much better than AC, then why is it that after nearly a decade there are still people actively subscribing to the game? Oh, love how you ask why it has so few players as well, considering it is still a far more in-depth and challenging game than WoW ever even imagined it could be...but my guess is that the fact that AC is nearly the decade old and it is rather hard to find outside of word-of-mouth anymore.

You mean, in your opinion...

As for why AC1 is around after a decade, perhaps because it costs relatively little to run, and the subscriptions from the small player base are enough to keep it supported?

Word of mouth on AC1 is that its a prime territory for unattended combat macros and a plethora of other exploitation dynamics. Fun.

News Comments > Saturday Q&As
11. Re: Jeff Anderson is a fucking tool. Jun 10, 2007, 16:20 Stanly Manly

No MMO has matched what AC1 did, with an entirely traversable continent. WoW is still stuck in the EverQuest/MUD paradigm of zones.

Empty space does not equal content. Sure, you could run across the continent hunting shards or motes, but did that make it content rich because you ran 5 minutes between mobs you wanted to kill?

WoW is not "stuck" in the paradigm. It is obviously the more popular world design. Don't give me the "popular does not equal better" argument either. There is a reason its more popular, people like it better. If AC1's system was so good, how come it has so few players?

342 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo