Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Stanly Manly

Real Name Stanly Manly   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 17, 2002, 22:48
Total Comments 342 (Amateur)
User ID 15272

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans
19. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 20:28 Stanly Manly

Its an unusual thing when you hear a person involved in the game industry voice their point of view on an issue. In this case, its apparent that nothing was "taken out" of the game in order to charge more on day 1 for the "full" product.

However, many gamers were "raised" on the idea that 100% of the effort should have gone into providing more content into the original game, and that DLC on day 1 shouldn't be necessary. I'd wager that many gamers feel it is a shady business practice altogether, and will want nothing to do with it.

You've already made the choice. Maybe I'm just "old fashioned", and I, along with other gamers like me, aren't even your target market. It seems to me that its a quick grab for cash, as opposed to actually providing something that fans of the game want (since it hasn't even been released yet).

It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Sorry, but I'm passing on your game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dead Space 2 in Preproduction
7. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Sep 30, 2009, 11:50 Stanly Manly

RE: PC control complaints...

My impression comes from the PS3 version of the game.

News Comments > Safety Dance
3. Re: Microsoft Security Essentials Sep 30, 2009, 11:08 Stanly Manly

Take what I say with a grain of salt, as I haven't been in IT for many years now, but back when I was a sys admin, there were a few interesting observations I made about "anti" virus software.

1. Machines with anti-virus software still got viruses.
2. Purchasing anti-virus software for the enterprise was far more expensive than fixing problems with viruses.
3. Keeping anti-virus software up to date was more work than fixing problems caused by viruses.
4. Problems caused by the anti-virus software itself were far more resource consuming than problems caused by viruses.
5. Anti-virus software would keep being installed by users, even if you removed it.
6. Anti-virus software could therefore be considered a virus.

I haven't used "anti" virus software for over 10 years now. I'll let you guess how many viruses I've had to remove from my PC's during that time. I'll give you a hint, its less than 1.

News Comments > Dead Space 2 in Preproduction
1. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Sep 30, 2009, 10:36 Stanly Manly

Awesome.

After playing Dead Space, I found myself unable to play any other FPS type game. The slower pace, the rpg-like elements, the wide field of view, the control, the weapons, the amazing look and feel... I just cannot heap enough praise on this game.

My only gripes were with a few oversites, such as not being able to see your health when your back was to a wall, not being able to use a health pack while aiming, and the melee "chain" attack.

I sincerely hope that the Dead Space team does not stray too far from the dynamics that made the first game so great. New settings, new weapons, new story, a few tweaks here and there, with an even longer campaign, and I'll happily throw my money their way.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Applications
15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Applications Sep 29, 2009, 12:56 Stanly Manly

Just going to wait for a free trail on this one.  

News Comments > Study: Gamers "More Aggressive to Strangers"
9. Re: Study: Gamers Sep 29, 2009, 12:08 Stanly Manly

I wonder, however, about the affect of a really "bitter" rivalry with someone you know. My older cousin and I were extremely competitive with Joe Montana football. I used to play with such an intensity trying to beat him that I'd start to sweat just sitting there. My teeth would ache afterward from gritting them. (All to no avail usually - I got may ass kicked more often than not...) Surely that type of intense competition lends itself to surges of of the fun juice?

Adrenaline.

Anyway, New Scientist is just another sensationalist magazine disguised as science. Heck, I think Nature is about the only decent science rag left. Stopped reading Scientific American when each new issue just featured more bull on "global warming" or other "end of the world" scenarios. I realize these guys have to sell their product, but sheesh.

On a similar note, I really miss the old discovery channel that actually featured real documentaries, and not just episodic drama's based loosely around a real life career, or "documentaries" that revolve around a host appearing in front of the camera as 90% of the content.

Back on topic, yeah... seems like typical biology being sensationalized. Next thing you know, there will be an article about married men having more testosterone when viewing pictures of beautiful young strange women, instead of their wives. And somehow it will be a reason to lobby about a new video game censoring bill.

News Comments > Singularity Trailer
1. Re: Singularity Trailer Sep 24, 2009, 20:50 Stanly Manly

*yawn*  

News Comments > New Aion Servers This Weekend
10. Re: New Aion Servers This Weekend Sep 23, 2009, 16:19 Stanly Manly

Be sure to post your thoughts on the game in a month or so.  

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2009, 12:15 Stanly Manly

Cliff notes: Random idiot babbles copious amounts of self gratuitous drek in hopes of gaining "street cred", but shows true colors in a long whine about losing in RvR.

News Comments > MMOG Lawsuit
4. Re: MMOG Lawsuit Sep 16, 2009, 11:22 Stanly Manly

The second I saw Boston Globe, I knew Turbine would be involved. Typical shenanigans. All the other names are merely fluff. I can guarantee that Turbine "investors" are somehow involved in "bringing" this lawsuit. Look for a "loss" by Turbine, that miraculously bankrupts them (read as: gets them out of their current contracts with Atari), only to have the same "investors" form a new company that, shockingly, makes MMOG's with more lackluster performance using a certain proprietary technology they acquired somehow.

One might also speculate that the "free" to play DDO release may somehow just be a quick grab for cash before yet another MMOG closure by Turbine.

Oh, nah... nothing like that would ever happen though...

News Comments > Evony Sues Blogger
1. Re: Evony Sues Blogger Sep 14, 2009, 11:16 Stanly Manly

A blog no one reads, and an MMO that no one plays.

I smell viral marketing.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Sep 13, 2009, 12:58 Stanly Manly

Dear Blue,

Please reconsider the format of the On Sale section. Perhaps just a general link to the websites with new sales? 20-30 listings justs makes my eyes glaze over, and I hurriedly scroll past.

Heck, I'd prefer that you did away with it all together. At this point, it seems games are always on sale, anyway.

News Comments > The Secret World Details
3. Re: The Secret World Details Sep 10, 2009, 18:11 Stanly Manly

Joy...

I'm sure Twilight Online can't be far behind...

News Comments > Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited Live
24. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron U Sep 9, 2009, 18:38 Stanly Manly

Would you mind expanding on your comment?
I don't think he can. Or perhahps: "I was just pissing in the wind"

Or perhaps I wasn't sitting here pressing the refresh button.

Anyway, one of the most infamous accounts of Turbine F'ing over gamers is when they sold an expansion pack for one of their older MMO's, then shut the game down shortly afterwards.

I've always kept an eye out for any "announcement" by Turbine. They nearly always end up being some over hyped marketing campaign scam for quick cash.

Turbine is pretty much a company of crooks. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to. But don't say I didn't warn you when you wonder how you could have fallen for such a sham.

Just to give you some perspective on how "free" this is. The full game, including 1 month of play time, is usually available for $5.

News Comments > Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited Live
9. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron U Sep 9, 2009, 15:11 Stanly Manly

Not surprising. This is Turbine after all.  

News Comments > Gold - DDO Unlimited
9. Re: The Best... Aug 15, 2009, 12:47 Stanly Manly

How does one equate "good twitch skills" with "requires some form of intellect".

Typical elitist.

The game is crap. The AC2 engine has been crap for ages.

News Comments > Gold - DDO Unlimited
4. Re: Gold - DDO Unlimited Aug 14, 2009, 22:15 Stanly Manly

Why in the world would they decide to release this on the same day as Champions Online. Free or not.

Like many people, you are under the false impression that Turbine is somehow trying to make money.

News Comments > RAGE Screenshots
2. Re: RAGE Screenshots Aug 14, 2009, 14:58 Stanly Manly

From a technical perspective, the first screenshot impressed me. The player weapon seemed very well done. Very smooth, rounded edges... matte finish... detailed textures on knobs and other minutia. Its a nice change from the overly shiny, square crap that I have been accustomed to seeing.

However, the latter screenshots just made me cringe. The stretched textures across the obviously low poly areas on the enemy models seemed quite out of place. Maybe it won't be noticeable while playing, but then again, neither will the other details...

If I had to sum it up, I'd have to say "feast or famine".

News Comments > RAGE Trailer, id's Three AAA Teams
15. Re: RAGE Trailer, id's Three AAA Teams Aug 13, 2009, 20:46 Stanly Manly

Was that big guy at the end the guy from Goonies? If so, sign me up for this.

Rocky... road?!

News Comments > RAGE Trailer, id's Three AAA Teams
2. Re: RAGE Trailer, id's Three AAA Teams Aug 13, 2009, 18:47 Stanly Manly

Taken on its own, its defintely not a bad looking trailer. However, there just wasn't anything that looked original, when you compare it to other games. The environment felt very falloutish, with some half life buggy riding, some team fortress/halflife turrets, and a god of war extra big boss.

I might just be jaded, but I don't see any reason to buy it, based on the trailer. Seems like another "me too" fps.

342 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo