Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Stanly Manly

Real Name Stanly Manly   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 17, 2002, 22:48
Total Comments 317 (Amateur)
User ID 15272

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Vendetta Online Adds Station Conquest
5. Re: Vendetta Online Adds Station Conquest Jan 31, 2010, 21:11 Stanly Manly

Incarnate,

I tried your game because I was looking for another space themed mmo, since I've worn out my welcome with Eve. I do like your game's stylized graphics, and the actual flight dynamics were pretty good. I tried both the physics based, and the computer assist based flight, and found both to work well.

I certainly may not be part of your target demographic, as I am focused mainly on the PvE aspect of MMO's. However, if you would like some suggestions, I'd be happy to oblige.

1. Rethink the tutorial. It was tedious and restrictive, as well as quite long. A pop up type tutorial with simple arrows and an indication of what does what, would probably suffice. The game is not complicated, yet the tutorial is.

2. Redesign the station UI. No tabs. No need to take up the full screen. Clear and intuitive labels and menu structure. Present missions in a consecutive order with an immediate summary of objectives and rewards. An intuitive and un-nested fitting screen would be nice.

3. Change the combat dynamic of the npc leading reticle. It seemed to "jump" after every shot, resulting in mostly misses. I understand you want to stay away from an auto target system, but you could find a middle ground.

4. It seems you limit cargo space due to the trading dynamic in your game, but you could simply adjust the selling price vs cargo space of items you collect from destroyed npc's. It seems silly to me to have to selectively jettison cargo. Perhaps eliminate most cargo and go for a bounty system?

5. Change the warp dynamic. This seems like nothing more than a tedious timesink, to have to slowly (even with turbo) fly away from a station or other structure in order to warp to another system. Again, this is compounded with your current cargo dynamics.

6. Put in easily identifiable requirements on ships and items. If I want to be able to use those missile launchers, I don't want to have to guess at how I can learn to use them.

So there ya go. While I certainly don't expect you to go against a currently working business model, a bit more of a streamlined experience may be beneficial to your game in the long run. Good luck to you. I certainly see potential in your game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Vendetta Online Adds Station Conquest
2. Re: Vendetta Online Adds Station Conquest Jan 31, 2010, 16:42 Stanly Manly

I tried it last week. Its a very simplistic game, and has a ridiculously convoluted station menu/inventory interface, as well as a vague "level up" dynamic. There was some sort of license system to get to new ships and weapons, but no indication on how to acquire these licenses.

The missioning system was horribly generic (kill 10 of these, kill these until this drops, etc) as well as limited to 1 mission at a time. The loot that dropped was encased in glowing colored crates that didn't give much indication as to their actual contents. Green might be ore, yellow an item... I couldn't figure it out. However, it didn't matter, since your ship had such limited cargo capacity, that you could fill your cargo bay in a few minutes, or even with a single kill of a transport class ship. If running back to a station to unload cargo every few minutes is your idea of a good time, you are in for a treat, I guess.

The combat itself boiled down to lining up your reticle with the moving yellow reticle indicating where lead your shot, and hoping the shots connected. The shots (at least from the noobie weapons) moved quite slow, and it seemed unless your target was moving in a straight line, standing still, or you were right on top of it you pretty much missed all the time.

To find npc's to shoot, you had to choose another system to warp to on a rudimentary map, then for some unknown reason, move 5km away from your home station before you could warp. Since your noobie ships only flew at around 50km/h, and you had to unload your cargo every few minutes... well, it got real old real fast.

Good try I guess, for a small indie game company. I think they rely on the pvp as their endgame, but I had no interest in looking into that. Their trial is 8 hours only, but you'll know right away if you like the game or not

News Comments > Alganon: The Dawning Expansion Revealed
1. Re: Alganon: The Dawning Expansion Revealed Dec 31, 2009, 11:49 Stanly Manly

Blue, could you stop posting about shams please? This "game" is nothing more than a grab for cash. David Allen borders on being a con man, and this "game" borders on plagiarism.

You do a disservice to the gaming community by continuing to support shady business practices like this.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Return to Ostagar Next Week
2. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Return to Ostagar Next Week Dec 29, 2009, 15:25 Stanly Manly

Not a specific comment on this DLC, but I received DA:O for PS3 as a gift this xmas, and I just wanted to say... what the fuck are fanbois smoking when they say this game is good?

My god, the UI is atrocious. The menu system is ridiculously nested and non-intuitive. The Party health display is useless, as the health/stamina meters are so subtle that you can barely see them. The idiotic radial menu system with analog stick control, coupled with the horrific ability binding sequence make me wonder if it was deliberately made as a sadistic joke upon gamers.

Now, actual gameplay... could I get more ability cooldowns, please? Yes, that is sarcasm. With a deluge of abilities available to you, all with significant (some up to 90 seconds), and a mere 6 "hotkeys", you find yourself trying to place as many talent points into passive or sustained abilites as possible, simply to avoid having to use activated abilities.

And more loading, too. I just cant get enough loading as I go into a small house, more loading as I go up to another floor of that house, and then load 2 more times going out.

How about sustained abilities that may or may not stack, and the only way you can tell is after you've already spent the talent points. Oh, and don't allow any sort of refund or respec ability. God knows I'd never want to do that, after realizing how utterly useless many of the abilities are. Cone of Cold sounded great until it froze my entire party most of the time. Nothing like crowd controlling yourself...

So, at least the tactics are fairly dependable for setting party AI, but I still do a /palmface when I see the limited tactics slots that only increase with level/skillpoint assignments. This is utterly ridiculous.

The saving grace of this game is the story and the manner in which it is told. It's fairly compelling, and the voice acting is usually quite good. The game world seems well realized, and the characters and settings are believable and "fit" for the most part. I could do without all the blatant "choose good/evil/neutral" dialogue options and party approval ratings, though. Sometimes I just want to play, not worry if a decisions is going to come back and bite me in the ass, or if the party member I have finally tweaked with enough tactics slots is starting to not like me.

Anyway, if anyone cares at all, I'd give this game a 6.5/10. Worth a rent, or maybe a buy at discount price, but I certainly would have never paid full price for it, myself.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2009, 12:50 Stanly Manly

Exactly. Sounds like cocaine abuse to me.

That is the first thing that crossed my mind as well.

General Discussion > Site suggestions
10. Re: Forum topic listings Dec 13, 2009, 14:08 Stanly Manly

My first suggestion would be to get rid of the subdivisions. There really is no reason to have Mobile/PC/Console gaming have different forums.

Try fewer topics that really fit with the main themes of blues:
1. Games
2. Hardware
3. Life/Humor/Off Topic.

There ya go. First one is free. I'll have to charge next time.

News Comments > America's Army Game Cost $32 Million
8. Re: America's Army Game Cost $32 Million Dec 9, 2009, 11:58 Stanly Manly

Its all funny munny anyway. Not like the USA has anything to back up its currency these days.  

News Comments > Dead Space 2 Announced
10. Re: Dead Space 2 Announced Dec 7, 2009, 12:34 Stanly Manly

Survival isn't the only thing on Isaac's mind in Dead Space 2 this time, he calls the shots.

I was really stoked for this game, until I saw that line. I really really don't want Dead Space 2 to be another Killzone 2/Uncharted 2.

I get the feeling now that Visceral Games is going to apply the "mass market" formula, and deliver "intense" titles, that although technically brilliant, will barely be over 5 hours, and ultimately be a soulless grab for cash.

I sincerely hope that I am wrong. Dead Space is one of my top games of all time. Maybe this is just silly PR department spin, and has no bearing on the real game. At this point, I'm filing this title under "rent".

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2009, 10:44 Stanly Manly

CNET article Cliff Notes:

Waaaaaaa!!!

News Comments > Why Alganon Resembles WoW
19. Re: Why Alganon Resembles WoW Nov 14, 2009, 19:44 Stanly Manly

Notice how the 2 people to praise the game registered today, and this is their only post?

*cough*shills*cough*

The game is garbage, plain and simple. Lets see if history repeats itself...

Edit: In the time it took me to write this, one more shill got a post in ;).

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2009, 19:45.

News Comments > Alganon Open Beta
4. Re: Alganon Open Beta Nov 12, 2009, 12:39 Stanly Manly

I'm a bit torn here. I don't want to support a game that appears to be a complete ripoff of WoW, but I'll give it a shot and see if it has enough substance to stand on its own.

Edit: Just read that blog and came across the name David Allen... I don't have much hope at this point.

Edit2: First impression: Crashed after 5 minutes. Saw absolutely no reason to restart. Uninstalling now.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2009, 14:07.

News Comments > King's Bounty: Armored Princess Demo
3. Re: King's Bounty: Armored Princess Demo Nov 12, 2009, 12:27 Stanly Manly

Awesome. Been waiting for this as well. The first game got a little repetitive towards the end, but still well worth the money.

If any of you Russian dev's are listening... please make Etherlords 3!!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam)
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam) Nov 10, 2009, 10:29 Stanly Manly

*yawn*  

News Comments > EA Cut "Over a Dozen" Games, MoH "Revitalization" Nears
3. Re: MoH Nov 9, 2009, 21:07 Stanly Manly

EA has cancelled "over a dozen" games

I hope Dead Space 2 isn't getting the axe.

News Comments > EA Layoffs?
21. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 9, 2009, 18:05 Stanly Manly

Then they started producing IPs like Dead Space, Mirror's Edge and Warhammer Online, then they start to lose a lot of money.

How could one group games like Mirror's Edge and Dead Space with Warhammer? I own the first two, and they were solid games(Dead Space being one of THE best I have ever played). Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't both fairly successful, or at least profitable?

Lots of people saw the writing on the wall with Warhammer from long ago. The game tried too hard to be simultaneously exactly like WoW, and nothing like WoW. It was needlessly convoluted in its UI, yet unbelievably chinchy on its character animations and action queuing system. Simply put, the game was just a big red hype ribbon around a really stinky turd.

News Comments > Visually Impaired Gamer Sues Sony
31. Re: Visually Impaired Gamer Sues Sony Nov 8, 2009, 19:38 Stanly Manly

I'm only concerned with the key argument: they're being inconsiderate.

Cry more?

Being able to see and hear a game clearly is pretty essential to playing it.

Right, so if you cannot see or hear clearly, then you are the problem, not games or game developers. Video games are developed and marketed for gamers with fully functional senses and appendages. Anyone else will either have to make due with their own limitations, or simply choose to not play these games.

Since you don't seem to have a clue, I'll give you one, free of charge. If you don't like something, don't buy it. If you like something, buy it.

I'm sure that doesn't make sense to you, since not only are you visually impaired, but mentally challenged. But its ok to be confused, the feeling will pass eventually. And remember, no charge for that clue, so you can't sue me for it.

News Comments > Visually Impaired Gamer Sues Sony
20. Re: Visually Impaired Gamer Sues Sony Nov 8, 2009, 17:29 Stanly Manly

I am too shy to ask women out, so I am suing all women for not making their genitals easily accessible to me.  

News Comments > WoW Microtransactions Begin
15. Re: WoW Microtransactions Begin Nov 4, 2009, 18:10 Stanly Manly

Never played WoW but still it looks like a little kids game you would find in Japan. with those graphics & color pallet I just dont get the appeal.

You are right. Those 11.5 million people are obviously stupid, and have no business having their own taste in games. How dare they play anything that you don't personally like, especially when you give games such a thorough and critical review.

Douchebag.

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials
4. Re: Ubisoft Financials Nov 4, 2009, 18:04 Stanly Manly

RIP Ubisoft.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Origins
50. Re: Dragon Age Ships Nov 3, 2009, 15:13 Stanly Manly

RE: Demon's Souls.

A few things that really helped me to start to "master" DS, were simple tactical changes in my gameplay.

Knowing when to use 1h/shield vs 2h vs Range, knowing what weapon type, weapon damage, resist ring, armor type, attack patterns, etc to use in each world or against each monster type.

Also, the Thief's Ring is probably the best ring you can wear in the game. What it affords you is the ability to not be noticed by monsters from so far away, giving you time to assess the situation before being accosted by a possibly overwhelming force.

Another tip that might help you, a shield and piercer (spear/rapier) setup is one of the best all around setups, because you can attack while blocking. Approach while blocking, then jab in quickly when the enemy raises up to attack for extra damage.

Good luck man =).

317 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo