Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Stanly Manly

Real Name Stanly Manly   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 17, 2002, 22:48
Total Comments 341 (Amateur)
User ID 15272

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > J Allard and Robbie Bach Leaving Microsoft
2. Re: J Allard and Robbie Bach Leaving Microsoft May 25, 2010, 14:32 Stanly Manly

Steve Ballmer scares me.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Black Prophecy Closed Beta
6. Re: Black Prophecy Closed Beta May 4, 2010, 00:44 Stanly Manly

I was interested in this game, until I read it was going to be another fully instanced game, similar to Guild Wars.

Oh well, hope they find an audience.

News Comments > 10 Million Free Realms Players
6. Re: 10 Million Free Realms Players Apr 2, 2010, 22:24 Stanly Manly

WoW + Sims + Pokemon.

I'm sure the salesman who pitched this idea had Smedley drooling. I sincerely doubt this will be around too long though. This game was already done before, although not quite as stylish. It was called "There", and currently "There" is not there, anymore...

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Trailer
29. Re: The Witcher 2 Trailer Mar 23, 2010, 22:03 Stanly Manly

Jerykk wrote on Mar 23, 2010, 15:34:
Um, what? Finger gymnastics? Combat in The Witcher consisted of occasionally clicking when you saw your cursor light up. It wasn't exactly complicated or challenging.

Hmmm... admittedly, it has been some time since I tried the game. I could be mistaken as to the specific combat dynamics. My apologies for perhaps talking out of my ass, but I still have the persistent feeling of not "getting" the combat of the game.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Trailer
8. Re: The Witcher 2 Trailer Mar 23, 2010, 13:22 Stanly Manly

fujiJuice wrote on Mar 23, 2010, 11:26:
I've heard so many great things about the first one, I bought it pretty early on, tried getting into it multiple times and just can't. The interface angers me, the combat is so very repetitive, and the world far too linear. I don't mean to crap on the game, I can see why other people might enjoy it, but I guess it's just not for me.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The interface/combat dynamics just seemed more about finger gymnastics than smooth, intuitive movements (in hindsight, perhaps a gamepad would have helped). I really wanted to like the game. Hopefully 2 will streamline the combat dynamics a bit more to my liking. I did enjoy the setting of the game, and the storytelling.

News Comments > EA Prerelease Paid DLC Plans
13. Re: EA Prerelease Paid DLC Plans Mar 22, 2010, 17:21 Stanly Manly

Cutter wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 16:55:
It seems this clown has forgotten the entire point of why game demos exist. I'm on the fence or plain uninterested in the vast majority of EA titles these days as it is. So if they want to do this, and get into the Ubisoft style DRM I'll have no problem never playing another of their titles again.

At this rate looks like a lot of us won't be gaming for much longer. Oh well, it was a good run.

The sad part, is that it wouldn't matter if gamers like you or I stopped. These guys are not stupid. They aren't targeting the gamers that demand high quality and good value. They are targeting the millions upon millions that buy on impulse and gobble up everything their favorite companies dangle in front of their faces with a new shiny wrapper.

News Comments > Din's Curse Demo
15. Re: Din's Curse Demo Mar 18, 2010, 23:03 Stanly Manly

Aganazer wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 15:49:
It does plenty of things that Torchlight never did. Truly random environments, dynamic quests, consequences, environment interaction, and best of all, coop multiplayer. Its about 1000 times better than Torchlight in every way except graphics, sound, and animation. The only thing generic about it is the fantasy setting.

We must have played different demos then. Random environments don't really mean much, when you can't see more than 15 feet in any direction. While "dynamic", a quest for killing 6 skeletons isn't exactly impressive. You say "environmental interaction", like clicking on a torch in a dungeon is somehow unique, or interesting.

Anyway, while I try not to be too hard on an indie game, this one just didn't seem worthy of any praise.

1. The isometric view was so skewed, it felt like I was climbing walls, rather than walking on a flat plane.

2. I could not figure out the keybinding and control scheme. I had to right click on the hotbar icon to activate an ability, even though I set a keybind. Not sure what the point of keybinding is, if you have to right click an icon.

3. In the first town, in the very first screen, I had 4 questgivers, giving out quests from lvl 1 to lvl 5, and they had more quests than the bafflingly miniscule quest log could hold. There was a store, an armorsmith, weaponsmith, and 2 stash chests... on the very first screen.

4. 20 feet away from these questgivers, was "Hostile Labyrinth 1" or something. Just an object in the environment you clicked on. Right in the middle of the town. Taken with 3 above, why even have a town at that point?

Anyway, maybe I just have a different idea of what a hack 'n slash should be. I couldn't force myself to play it for more than 15 minutes.

News Comments > Din's Curse Demo
2. Re: Din's Curse Demo Mar 18, 2010, 14:40 Stanly Manly

Downloading the demo now. Looks to be a fairly generic hack 'n slash, so I'm not sure if it will provide anything over Torchlight, but I'll give it a shot.  

News Comments > Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork
13. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 16, 2010, 18:57 Stanly Manly

Jackplug wrote on Mar 16, 2010, 18:37:
why dont they just, wrap the kids up in cotton wool and have done with it. I hate these goody two shoes ppl as they dont have a life so they think that everyone else shouldnt either.

What exactly is "cotton wool"?

News Comments > Need for Speed World Closed Beta
7. Re: Need for Speed World Closed Beta Mar 16, 2010, 15:41 Stanly Manly

Yep, flop.

Seems like another case of putting the word "online" into your game, and expecting people to pay $15 a month for nothing.

News Comments > Global Agenda Patch Tomorrow
3. Re: Global Agenda Patch Tomorrow Mar 15, 2010, 14:20 Stanly Manly

Seems a lot of games are advertising themselves as MMO's, charging a monthly sub fee, but offer nothing more than any other non-subscription multiplayer game.

Edit: Oops... my point being, they usually go out of business ;).

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2010, 14:26.

News Comments > Dragon Age II In February 2011?
20. Re: El Cid uses Fire Horn Mar 12, 2010, 10:26 Stanly Manly

I think half the time I played this game was spent watching a loading screen.  

News Comments > Derek Smart & Quest Online
30. Re: Derek Smart posted an insightful comment earlier today Mar 11, 2010, 15:53 Stanly Manly

I think folks are missing the real gem here. David Allen parting ways after yet another MMO scam/fiasco. Can't wait for the juicy details to surface.

Alganon was a complete WoW ripoff, to the extent that it might be considered plagiarism.

News Comments > Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria
1. Re: Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria Mar 1, 2010, 10:27 Stanly Manly

Violent games are the new Global Warming.  

News Comments > Switzerland Mulls Violent Game Ban
2. Re: Switzerland Mulls Violent Game Ban Feb 19, 2010, 10:46 Stanly Manly

Politicians are funny. Human beings (not to mention every other living organism to have crawled out of the primordial ooze) have been killing each other in many gruesome ways for eons longer than video games have been around.

Scapegoats are a great political platform though. In Oregon, a law recently passed that banned talking on your cell phone while driving. However, you can still use your laptop, read a book, look at a map, eat, put on makeup, turn your head and yell at your kids, fall asleep at the wheel, or just plain be a road raging jerkhole, and that is all good and dandy. But don't talk on your phone...

News Comments > Star Trek Online Needs a "Meaningful" Death Penalty
7. Re: Star Trek Online Needs a Feb 18, 2010, 11:01 Stanly Manly

Eh, death penalties are passe.

Maybe a slightly longer respawn timer would be ok, one that increases if you die more often. Perhaps not respawning at full hp/shield and needing to use some purchased repair items to recover quickly.

Yeah, I know... super original.

EDIT: To anyone who cares, I think STO is quite a good game, and I'm enjoying it. Sure, its not perfect, but the vast majority of players (IMHO) that are complaining about the game, are the ones who click past every dialogue box and just race to max level. The story in STO is pretty interesting, and if you stop thinking within the confines of WoW, you'll see the game is a good Star Trek game. You aren't some random adventurer, you are a Starfleet Officer, doing Starfleet type missions. Players just can't seem to grasp that. Oh well.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2010, 11:06.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Capacity Increased
30. Re: Game Reviews Feb 8, 2010, 11:03 Stanly Manly

BobBob wrote on Feb 7, 2010, 15:57:
Is this game any good at all?

Ironically enough, if you don't listen to forum haters, and actually try to see the game for what it is (and more importantly, what it *isn't*), you'll probably find the game pretty good.

Sure, the server was hiccuping there for a bit, and the login queue the other day was horrid, but the game itself actually feels like Star Trek.

Now, don't discount that. If you go into the game expecting WoW with a Star Trek skin, you are going to be disappointed. STO, for the most part, is about tactical ship to ship battles, and squad based away missions. If you are looking to "WTFPWN RAIDS AND GETPURPS", then look elsewhere.

I'll gladly rip a game a new one if it deserves it, but after brushing aside the usual forum vitriol, I gave the game a chance, and I'm glad I did. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the game is. I found myself exclaiming out loud "YES!" and raising my fist in the air when my High Yield Photon Torpedoes landed for critical damage just as I took down this Battleship's side shield. Any game that has that effect on me, deserves a bit of praise.

Now, that being said, my biggest issue with the game so far, is the ridiculous navigation system. For some reason, you are not given clear waypoints to plot a course to, in your mission description. This is absurd. The location names are extremely obscure and esoteric, and it is quite confusing to get the hang of it. Sector blocks, quadrants, systems, clusters... its the year 42 billion and we dont have an plot course feature? Sloppy, very sloppy.

Anyway, in a nutshell, if you like Star Trek, and aren't hung up on WoW, give STO a try.

No, I was not paid for this, jerks.

News Comments > THQ on Warhammer 40K MMOG
2. Re: THQ on Warhammer 40K MMOG Feb 4, 2010, 10:43 Stanly Manly

As with every new MMO released after WoW, I'll wait for a free trial...  

News Comments > Game Crazy Closings
3. Re: Game Crazy Closings Feb 3, 2010, 20:34 Stanly Manly

Yep, walked over to my local Hollywood yesterday to see if they got in White Knight Chronicles for rent, and was greeted with a dark shop sporting a "lost lease/bankruptcy" letter on the door.

I'm glad I didn't sign up for that crappy membership or game pre-orders they were pushing.

News Comments > Mortal Online Beta
5. Re: Mortal Online Beta Feb 3, 2010, 12:19 Stanly Manly

From what I have read on their forums, its a catastrophe.  

341 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo