Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Myrddin Emrys

Real Name Myrddin Emrys   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Raven
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 3, 2002, 04:27
Total Comments 258 (Amateur)
User ID 15062

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Gold - Fable: The Lost Chapters
23. Re: Hmmm... Aug 23, 2005, 21:13 The Raven

I respectfully disagree. I do not think that games have lost their 'magic'. You mentioned a 'best-of' list that spanned 10 years... of COURSE most games in a year won't match those for quality. However, this year we already had one stellar title... World of Warcraft is by far the best MMO yet released. It's a 'best of' title we'll be hearing of for years I think.

There will always be rehashes... Ultima 8 anyone? We had yearly baseball titles back in the early 90s too. This isn't new people.

There will also be the occasional standout title that makes everyone go 'WOW!'. KotoR was one... that was only two years ago, and it won numerous Game-of-the-Year awards, as it deserved. One of the first successful console-to-PC ports also... that game is partly responsible for all the half-assed ports nowadays.

So don't diss the game market. Two years ago is not 'ancient history'. There are great games every year (Half Life 2, World of Warcraft), and a deluge of mediocre to poor games. Don't worry... that's not going to change anytime soon, and it has not changed in the entire history of games. Or movies. Or books. Or plays. Every creative endeavor has only a few 'good' titles, amidst a sea of mediocrity.

We don't remember the sea of mediocre titles from 1993, because they were forgettable... of course. We remember X-Com though. We only remember the good titles that kept us entertained for a year all on their own (Ultima 5), or for a few intense, hilarious hours (like Day of the Tentacle).

Dreaming Demon, formerly Tikatt, formerly The Raven
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dungeon Siege II Demo
76. I'm Depressed Aug 4, 2005, 00:43 The Raven

I was hoping DS2 would be a big leap over DS1... so far, I see a small step. Perhaps the full game will have more intriguing plotlines and clean up the interface a bit, but I'm not sure I'll ever play it... don't feel like dropping $50 to find out.

Sad.

News Comments > Gold - Boiling Point
20. Re: No Multiplayer May 9, 2005, 21:18 The Raven

Oh, and I should mention SS2's multiplayer... it was wonderful, but also an aberration. Almost nobody does good COOP anymore.

News Comments > Gold - Boiling Point
19. Re: No Multiplayer May 9, 2005, 21:17 The Raven

It's a Role Playing Game... almost all RPGs are single player. I don't see a multiple Morrowind. The only reason Deus Ex had any multiplayer at all (and it was kinda crappy) was because it was built on the Unreal Engine, and adding it was easy. No multiplayer Knights of the Old Republic.

Just because it's an FPS game doesn't mean it is gonna have multiplayer.

News Comments > Gold - Supreme Ruler 2010
2. Surprising Apr 28, 2005, 13:41 The Raven

I pegged this for a vaporware title a couple years ago. The goals were grandiose and the scale broad... I'm hoping that it really is done, and it's not like one of Derek Smart's games that have everything and the kitchen sink, but are buggy as heck.

We'll see. I don't have much faith in 'broad scope' games.

News Comments > Heaven vs Hell Announced
18. Resources Apr 26, 2005, 11:26 The Raven

I was trying to think of what resources Heaven and Hell would require... and I decided it must be souls. Heaven needs good souls, so it will attempt to purify the civilians before they die. Hell needs tarnished souls, so it will try to twist them before they die. And humanity needs LIVE souls, so it will try to keep the civilians as far as possible from either other faction.

So, in my theoretical game, humanity would be placing recruiting centers and gathering normal resources. Heaven would be placing churches and hospitals to gather repentant souls. And Hell would be placing brothels and gambling halls to gather evil souls. All of them act like roach motels... try to get the little civvies inside, and then they get 'processed' depending on the faction which got 'em.

Humanity would have the easiest time getting people, for obvious reasons (perhaps by default), but they need to gather normal resources as well. Heaven and Hell only need souls, and so need to spend more resources to get them. It would make an interesting 3 way conflict over the major resource... civilians.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Recipe: Good Review Feb 7, 2005, 16:33 The Raven

Take basic description of gameplay.
Add one part comparison with genre standards.
Include insightful commentary on unique game design elements.
Mix in positive and negative highlights to taste.
Make sure to mix in well written container, without slang or other impurities.
Boil over the flames of editorial review to remove typoes and germs.

Serve online. Good accompanying side dishes include links to homepage, screenshots, demos and patches.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
1. Ishtan Sounds Scarily Amateurish Feb 2, 2005, 14:07 The Raven

After reading through the Q&A for Ishtan, I am literally stunned by the naivety of their designers. It appears that they have not read any of the discussions on MMO game design in the past 10 years.

Some of their design decisions are mind-bendingly stupid. They appear to be making their game design based on AD&D 1st Edition... 20 year old rules that were designed to be broken when they don't work. But in an MMO, you can't just ignore a stupid rule.

Take character races. Not sure how high their level system goes, but they are putting level caps on non-human races. Level caps... as in, 'humans can advance to level 50, but elves cannot get higher than level 30'. No joke. Do they think every player is alone? Most players play with their guild, their friends... what are they going to do when one caps out at 30, but the rest of the party keeps gaining levels? It is incomprehensible.

I have only read the Q&A, not their website, so there may be mitigating factors. But they appear to be designing a game like the ORIGINAL Ultima Online... as in, PK allowed anywhere. They talk about how players will get 'bad reputations' and stuff, as if that will stop them. NOTHING stops misbehavior online other than truly preventing the bad behavior in the first place right in the code. You can't legislate morality online because it doesn't work.

It's the concept of punishment. How do you punish someone for behaving badly when all they have to do is log out or delete the character and make a new one? If you punish the player too much they quit, and you lose money. The simple fact is that online punishment doesn't work for the bottom-of-the-barrel players. They don't care. They'll nuke one character and start a new one.

I think Ishtan, if it makes it to release, is going to be horribly flawed. Don't bet on this horse.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - COPS 2170: The Power of Law
8. What Type of Game? Jan 28, 2005, 15:21 The Raven

Not sure if this sounds like an RPG or a shooter. The description above reminds me of 'Beyond Good & Evil.'

News Comments > Out of the Blue
71. The 'Fauxrari' Car Dec 29, 2004, 03:47 The Raven

What car is the starting point for the mod? Impressive body modification though... I wonder how much it would cost relative to a real Ferrari... or how well it would perform.

It's a rather extreme version of 'ricing'. At least they didn't put racing stripes on it.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Surprise = Deathmatch
135. Re: dont be stupid Dec 1, 2004, 12:39 The Raven

Agreed. When a new popular mod comes out, idiots who don't know how to run a server put up a server. They do it on slow computers, or PLAY on the same server they are HOSTING on, or any other dozen things that make the game run like crap. Normally, that server would stay EMPTY all the time because it sucks, and it would get taken back down. But... with 50 thousand people who want to try DM, and only 100 servers, people will join the crappy servers too.

After a couple weeks, the idjits who don't know how to run a server will take them back down, and/or people will stop playing on them, as enough servers come out.

134. Re: No subject Dec 1, 2004, 12:29 The Raven

This happened to me too. It's a bug, possibly caused by JUMPING just before you get put into the metal-casket-trasnport thingy. When I played HL2 a second time a couple days ago, it did not happen, but I was careful not to jump when I got in. Instead, just press the use key.

I posted a bug about it, I presume it'll get fixed in some future patch.

15. Re: Weeee another deathmatch game... Nov 30, 2004, 19:56 The Raven

They never claimed it was a screenshot... they said, instead, that a picture is worth a thousand words. That picture, not a SS, shows examples of models we can expect to use, indicates that physics and the gravity gun will be in DM, and shows one map that will be included (the prison shower).

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Deathmatch Mod
17. HL DM Nov 24, 2004, 18:44 The Raven

Half Life DM is still played... by such a meagre handful of people it is pointless. Let me put it to you this way... they could spend 5000 man hours getting Counterstrike working in HL2, and please the MILLION or so people who play CS at least once a week, or they could spend 5000 man hours getting HL2 DM working and please the THOUSAND or so people who play HL DM.

I think the value of their decision is pretty goddamn obvious. You may disagree... but the numbers agree with valve. More people want CS:S than HL2 DM. It will be played more in the years to come. It was a BETTER INVESTMENT OF THEIR TIME.

Afterwards, I'm sure either modders or Valve will make a DM version. Just be patient. And, reguarding this release... it's unplayable. I'll wait for the real SDK to come out so that modders can make a real, working mod. This one is not worth the 2 minutes it takes to download.

News Comments > Valve versus Sierra
37. I'm Buying Both Sep 20, 2004, 13:10 The Raven

I'm getting the boxed version (special edition) and I'll probably be getting a Steam 'subscription' for $10 per month. Reason being, I like Valve, I trust Valve, and I enjoy the games they make. I like their single player games, I play their multiplayer games... I've played various HL mods for nearly five years now, longer than five years if you count the fact that the Team Fortress guys went to work at Valve.

I'm a Valve fanboy, I admit. Steam has never broken for me. Their games have never failed me. They have given me 5 years of fun for a single purchase of $45 dollars, by constantly updating and improving their game so it remains playable and popular.

This is my way of paying them back... buying the SE and the subscription. I trust them to continue to make me happy in the future as well.

News Comments > New Cube
4. Editor Limitation May 23, 2004, 18:38 The Raven

I got the impression that this limitation was an editor limitation... ie, the UI for the editor does not allow for making floors above floors... rather than a rendering limitation. However, it might also be a clipping limitation, and that would be harder to overcome. A clipping limitation is where the game does not know how to have you WALK on a level above a level because it clips the walking plane to a specific level, rather than to an arbitrary polygon. This would fit with thier assertion that the game is essentially a modified outdoors engine, designed for one floor level (the ground), not multiple.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: CZ on Steam
35. Re: No subject (Comment 22) Mar 23, 2004, 17:26 The Raven

The age of a game does not affect how fun it is. It changes how PRETTY it is. And, if you pass on a game just because it doesn't have enough eye candy for you... that does make you a snob. Or just a noob.

You don't like Tetris, eh? Or do you think Tetris would be better with 3d rotating blocks and OpenGL acceleration?

Also, I'd like to disagree that CS is a 6 year old game. It would be more accurate to say it's 1-2 years old. It gets updated every few months with new features... some good, some not so good. However very few games support built in voice. The only two I'm familiar with are Planetside (implimented very poorly) and the new Unreal Tournament 2k4, which I have not used a whole lot yet. And, a ton of XBox games.

As anyone who has used it can attest, voice-in-game is a ton more fun than hopping through hoops to use an external voice app. It's been out so long that most players who play CS have voice, and use it. Having HALF the people on a server chatting it up, compared to maybe ONE or TWO in a 32 player UT2K4 match... CS just wins hands down.

The CS community is quite insular, with people bitching and moaning about hax (which are rampant), others getting kicked or banned for little or no reason, etc. I protect myself from that by simply not going on any server... I have a small list of good servers that I goto on a regular basis. They are well adminned, have good players, and are usually populated. The players are experienced, talkative, and good at teamwork... usually.

Are there problems? Yes. Does it happen on every other game too? Of course. There's always gonna be asshats in any game. CS is not alone. I'm sure people have played BF1942 and had the dickwad who shoots down his teammate because he took the plane, or lays mines in the friendly base. EVERY game has stupid players. CS does not even have more or fewer... however, the availability of voice makes them more annoying perhaps. :-) But it also makes the teamwork more fulfilling.

It's all a tradeoff. Dissing CS because of its age is stupid. Hell, I just recently played through Deus Ex again, and a year ago I tried out the venerable System Shock (1) to see what it was like. Over a HUNDRED THOUSAND people still subscribe to Ultima Online.

You, who denigrate and make fun of people who enjoy older games, are in the minority. There's more of us than there are of you. So I think you need to learn to be a tad more accepting, eh?

News Comments > PlanetSide Server Mergers
25. I WANTED to like Planetside Dec 3, 2003, 19:46 The Raven

I really did. On paper is sounded great. I was chafing at the bit. And then... well, I played the beta. And it was good, but not great... I would have paid the monthly fee for a few months, but I would not pay the $50 THEN the monthly fee for a few months.

PS suffers from a lack of individuality. There really needed to be a lot more ways to stand out as a person, a unique individual, as an outfit. Daily records, patches, rewards... they would do a lot to fix up this game. Also, the complete lack of persistence in the goals is depressing.

Why should I expend massive amounts of effort to grab the entire continent... YAY, it's our color! Woo hoo! Ok... so what did we win? Nothing? No points? No kudos? No recognitioin? And 5 minutes later they cap a tower and it's no longer ours?

Bah. Good idea, it but it's missing a few essential things needed to make it worth $13+ a month. I'd say it's currently worth $5, maybe even $8... but not over 10. Not until they create persistent rewards for succeeding at the game's goals, and incorporate better player and unit recognition features.

News Comments > H-L Project Timeless
2. German Translation Nov 4, 2003, 14:52 The Raven

Looks like the description was created by the babelfish. A better description would be:
Project Timeless is a multiplayer only Half Life modification with team based gameplay. Players do not choose classes, but the role they play is heavily influenced by the equipment they select. The equipment can be further modified with optional add-ons and accessories, creating interesting and complex gameplay.
So far, I really don't see anything that could not describe a game as old as Action Quake 2, or as new as Firearms. I would like to stress I have not played the game, I just reworded the description to be more appropriate for those who speak English as a first language.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 14:53.

News Comments > New Condition Zero Developer
91. Re: Valve going bankrupt Oct 12, 2003, 15:34 The Raven

I disagree with your math. In particular, the publisher makes a MUCH smaller cut of the Valve games because Valve does not borrow any money from them to publish. Most companies have to borrow a lot of money from the publisher to release their game... Valve was founded by a couple MS millionairs and the initial development was funded completely out of their pockets.

I'm betting Valve made more than $10 profit per box initially, and I think they maintained that level of profit throughout the life of their product for any internally released stuff. The other licensed games (like Opposing Forces by Gearbox) probably only made $2-4 profit for Valve.

So I think Valve has much larger pockets than you credit them with. Valve has been in the black ever since they released HL initially, and every year since (except perhaps the past year or so). I see no reason why they couldn't go another year or two if they had to... at worst, they would have to rely on publisher funding like other game companies have to, but no WAY would they go out of business. They've sold more boxes, at more profit, than many other dev companies do in 10 years.

258 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo