Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Myrddin Emrys

Real Name Myrddin Emrys   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Raven
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 3, 2002, 04:27
Total Comments 239 (Novice)
User ID 15062

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > New Condition Zero Developer
91. Re: Valve going bankrupt Oct 12, 2003, 15:34 The Raven

I disagree with your math. In particular, the publisher makes a MUCH smaller cut of the Valve games because Valve does not borrow any money from them to publish. Most companies have to borrow a lot of money from the publisher to release their game... Valve was founded by a couple MS millionairs and the initial development was funded completely out of their pockets.

I'm betting Valve made more than $10 profit per box initially, and I think they maintained that level of profit throughout the life of their product for any internally released stuff. The other licensed games (like Opposing Forces by Gearbox) probably only made $2-4 profit for Valve.

So I think Valve has much larger pockets than you credit them with. Valve has been in the black ever since they released HL initially, and every year since (except perhaps the past year or so). I see no reason why they couldn't go another year or two if they had to... at worst, they would have to rely on publisher funding like other game companies have to, but no WAY would they go out of business. They've sold more boxes, at more profit, than many other dev companies do in 10 years.

Dreaming Demon, formerly Tikatt, formerly The Raven
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Half-Life's Steamy Future
150. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2003, 19:07 The Raven

I was going to lambast some people for being idiots until I read those FAQ entries of ildon's. That does bother me some... only a tiny bit, because I have a broadband connection and don't care what kind of authentication Valve requires.

However, I am of the opinion that those FAQs are out of date, and I believe that, even if it does not happen at launch, VERY shortly after launch they will allow single player games to be played without central authentication every time you run it.

Specifically, this would cripple the gamers who go for long periods without internet access, like mobile users, people behing restrictive firewalls, or simply those who have lost their Internet connection. I would be somewhat upset if I lost my Internet connection, went to play some single player Half Life 2 to calm my nerves, and had it reject me.

I have no problem with requiring steam authentication every time I play online. None at all. Jolly good idea. But I detest the notion of requiring an Internet connection to play single player. I'd rather have CD checking.

jm2c

News Comments > Call of Duty Demo Open Letter
56. Not an Issue Aug 28, 2003, 19:22 The Raven

I don't think this is that big a deal. I think this is the first time I have disagreed with Blue.

If a company chooses to shoot themselves in the foot and provide an exclusive to some site, that's their business. The site gets a boost, their demo gets seen by fewer people, no big deal.

Those who really want the demo can use BitTorrent, FileMirrors.com, Kazaa, or some similar service to get it. Those who don't care much can wait till it is freely available. In the end, it's just a delay, so it doesn't pay to get worked up about it.

If it pisses you off, vote with your wallet, not your words. Don't buy the game. If Activision notices a significant difference in the sales for games with exclusive demo releases, they'll change their tune.

But you know what? They won't. Because very few people care that much.

News Comments > Magic Goes Back to Beta
2. Honest Aug 21, 2003, 18:51 The Raven

At least they're honest about the fact their service is currently on the low end of 'bug free'. They are not completely reverting to beta, more accurate is to say they're opening a beta server where cards are free, the whisky is watered, and the women are loose.

I wonder if it's more of a marketing gimmick... put out a free server for people to try out, call it beta to make 'em not whine about crashes...

Quoted from the article: "Overall, we just want to come on board and have some fun while helping us clean up our mess."

Funny... most other companies clean up their own mess.

News Comments > Rubies of Eventide Goes Live
14. No Ruby Bouncing Hexagons! Jun 2, 2003, 15:02 The Raven

NOOOOOO! If Rubies goes gold (they have been working on the game for over 4 years) then they won't have a booth at GenCon anymore... they won't bring their cool con-givaway toys made of cardboard and rubberbands that you can flatten, put into a tall stack, and then like a 'can of snakes' gag, popping all over the place.

Rubies, I may not care one bit about your game, but on my honor I'll miss the bouncing ruby boxes you put out at the con. :-)

News Comments > Half-Life PoV
6. Re: Nice Idea May 5, 2003, 20:53 The Raven

Played it last night, good mod. Very poor weapon variety... your primary weapon (the lightning zap) damages enemies and heals you, and since that is the ONLY way you're gonna be healed, you spend 90% of the game using that weapon.

The other weapons, such as the vermin you can capture and use, like the snarks from HL, are fun... but they are all variations on the theme of 'homing explosive missile'. In fact EVERY weapon other than your primary lightning-zap is a homing weapon.

Other than the weapons though, the game is quite nice. I like the story mode, the levels are nicely designed. It is interesting to play from the other Point of View, and the story clips help give you an insight into that PoV, as interpereted by the PoV designers. I particularly like their explanations of the society of Xen.

Good game, bad weapons, still fun. Try it out.

News Comments > PlanetSide on May 20
18. Re: Persistent Tribes May 5, 2003, 19:57 The Raven

Shoulda said a new Geforce is a good idea.

News Comments > PlanetSide on May 20
17. Persistent Tribes May 5, 2003, 19:55 The Raven

Let's play with the wayback machine. It's 1998, and Tribes just came out. A fun, team based capture the flag game with vehicles, jumpjets, and bases. Combat occurs inside and outside. Maps are vast and rolling. Teamplay is essential to winning, and many vehicles and weapons need more than one person to use properly.

Zoom back to the present, and you will see that Planetside is essentially a MMO version of Tribes. Many, if not MOST of the gameplay elements in Tribes exist in Planetside as well. If you liked Tribes (or Tribes 2 after it was patched) back then, you'll like Planetside now.

It has steep requirements. Don't even attempt to play with under 384MB of RAM, and 512 is smarter. 1GB is nice... and yes, it really can use 1GB of RAM, without leaking a single KB of memory. For video card, a Geforce is a good idea... my GeForce 2 GTS gets about 30fps normally and 15fps in combat, and that's with ALL the options turned as low as possible.

And as far as how fun it is... well, that's up to you. Visit a friend who has it.

Personally, I love it. My Brother-in-law, his father and brother, and my neighbor are all in a squad together most nights. The integrated voice chat is still buggy-as-hell but is improving, and it's hellishly fun to take bases and hold them against all comers.

Like all MMO games, it's more about the people you play with than the goals in the game. You may wish to hold off a few months on buying the game (I know I'm going to hold off until I upgrade my computer), or you may wish to jump in right away. I think it's a damn fun game, and it offers teamplay that no other game currently offers.

I consider Planetside to be the spiritual successor to Tribes 2... think of it as Tribes 3, without the Starseige license. If that sounds good to you, then try it out.

News Comments > Half-Life PoV
2. Nice Idea May 4, 2003, 20:05 The Raven

I think this is a very good idea for HL. I have not yet played it, but I look forward to seeing how it plays when I get home.

News Comments > DOOM III Q&A
71. Creativity May 1, 2003, 19:54 The Raven

The entire background of Doom 3 is not particularly creative. The developers are tossing you into a world and saying 'ignore the man behind the curtain', and to just take the world at face value.

To aid that, they are increasing the realism of the visuals and sound dramatically. It will be easier to 'suspend disbelief' because the visuals will be more realistic, the sound more convincing, the baddies more detailed.

But the WORLD ITSELF will not be believable. However, this does not really matter... it's science-fantasy, not hard science fiction. We have hellspawn and zombies and a protagonist that can easily carry half a ton of weapons and ordinance.

The game will break new ground for graphics and sound, and it will probably be a damn fun game. id does not always make the best games (UT was somewhat better than Q3, IMO) but they always make GOOD games. And even when their games are only ok, the engine is improved, modded, licensed, and disseminated out into the gaming world to the benefit of all. Quake 3 was mediocre... but have you SEEN all the cool games that have been created or are in development that use the Q3 engine?

id games change gaming. It's as simple as that. They have been, and will remain, the kings of the FPS genre... at least until John decides to blow off id to become an astronaut. :-)

- Nevermore!

News Comments > Tech Bits
5. I'm surprised... Mar 4, 2003, 13:31 The Raven

... that they were members for as long as they were. They've been trying to kill OpenGL for years, and with recent iterations of DX, it's finally becoming nearly as easy to use as OpenGL.

News Comments > Star Wars Galaxies Contracts
9. Re: Kinda Sad, but Understandable Feb 6, 2003, 21:00 The Raven

Oh sure, so R5 can hunt me down for breaking NDA in my comment? I think not!

Hehe, jk. CriticalAnalysis

News Comments > Star Wars Galaxies Contracts
2. Kinda Sad, but Understandable Feb 6, 2003, 19:20 The Raven

As a beta tester since stage 1, I can see they've come a very long way. But we spend a LOT more time on testing stability and handling server crashes than they expected. I think their ambitious ideas for AI, crafting, etc created a bigger burden on the servers than they anticipated, and the problems took a lot longer to solve than they wanted.

This means that features they had planned on having time for had to get delayed.

Another problem is that they saw user reactions to new MMO's like Asheron's Call 2 and Earth: Above and Beyond. These games came out with relatively little 'world' content. Not many missions, low enemy diversity, relatively few NPCs. This made the games seem empty and sterile... and boring. So they had to really ramp up content creation, which added further stress to their schedule.

It's sad, but I think the game will still be very enjoyable.

News Comments > GeForce FX Articles
60. I predict... Jan 28, 2003, 04:18 The Raven

... that NVIDIA will have a 3-6 quarters playing hackysack with ATI and the performance crown, then come back with the NV40 which really will be the next big thing.

Unless NVIDIA's cash reserves are too low for a price war and full development on an entirely new pipeline... in which case NVIDIA may go the way of 3dfx.

Which would be really sad.

News Comments > Derek Smart Q&A
9. Re: No subject Jan 5, 2003, 19:55 The Raven

#1, we don't flame him because he's evil. We flame him because he makes mediocre games, and blames everyone but himself for the failures. He's a jerk.

As far as my opinion... BC3K is a good game that's buggy with a horrible interface. He WAS screwed over my Take Two, but he's milked that one insult for 5 years now. And he is so convinced of his own perfection and superiority that he is incapable of seeing the faults in himself or his game design choices. He will never be a good game designer because he refuses to accept the feedback of his players.

I won't buy BCO.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Amplify Links Not Viewable... Dec 18, 2002, 17:02 The Raven

... to anyone using a browser that blocks popups. For example, my personal favorite (Crazy Browser) blocks almost all popup ads, rendering Amplify links useless to me.

Whether it is possible to find the real address of an amplify link... I don't know. It depends on if Amplify does an invisible forward to the browser, in which case you can find it, or if the Amplify servers host or proxy the page themselves, in which case you cannot. Even if it does not proxy the page, I would not be surprised to find code on the destination link that forces you to use the amplify link rather than the direct one.

Damn popup mongers. Die die die!

I just wanna put in my vote for no Amplify links (or any links to a webpage that blocks browsers that do not display popups). Just MHO.

12. Shoulda done it for Halloween Nov 15, 2002, 14:50 The Raven

And just left the scarecrow up after that. They wouldn't think you crazy, just lazy... which is, arguably, not much better, but hey I'll take the advantages where I see 'em. :-)

21. Re: ugh... Nov 12, 2002, 20:51 The Raven

However much you may hold your opinion dear on the relative quality of Wing Commander and Star Wars, you are in the extreme minority there. Not that Ep 1 and 2 are particularly good... it's just that Wing Commander is particularly bad. The acting was wooden, the plot contrived, and fans of the original games were let down by acting and a plot WORSE than Wing Commander 3.

And I think that's the real tragedy... it may have been a mildly acceptable movie in its own right, but it was based on a great game, and the comparison cannot help but be made.

On a personal level, I thought the movie was ok... except I hated the portrayal of the Kilrathi, the art direction on the ships, and the mediocre acting of the main character. After those (core, vital, important) points are overlooked, the movie was not that bad.

-- Raven

News Comments > Dragon's Lair 3D Gold
15. Funny Nov 11, 2002, 20:44 The Raven

Incredible new gameplay includes jumping over flaming pits, climbing ropes to fly across chasms, and battling swarms of the wizard's minions with Dirk's sword and crossbow.

Am I the only person who read that and thought 'Pitfall'?

239 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo