Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Myrddin Emrys

Real Name Myrddin Emrys   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Raven
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 3, 2002, 04:27
Total Comments 239 (Novice)
User ID 15062

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > On Team Fortress 2 Animation
38. Re: familiar May 15, 2007, 20:44 The Raven

MRM tech turned out to be a dead end... the CPU time needed to process meshes in realtime was so large, and the visible benefit so small that it wasn't worth it. It took notciably less CPU, and only slightly more RAM, to just keep 2 or 3 different resolution copies of the object.

Intel was pushing MRM tech because they want stuff to use more CPU... that's what they sell. Anytime you see a technology coming out of Intel, it's gonna hog the CPU in some way. They are always pushing new tech (often worthwhile tech) that uses processing power to make up for deficiencies elsewhere. Processing power instead of RAM, instead of a good graphics card, instead of a good sound card, etc. Intel wants you to buy a huge expensive processor, and skimp on the rest of the system.

Dreaming Demon, formerly Tikatt, formerly The Raven
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode Two Black Box Bundle
7. Re: No subject May 9, 2007, 12:44 The Raven

Ran just fine for me on my 9600.  

News Comments > Spore Delayed
13. Re: Ah hell! May 9, 2007, 12:11 The Raven

Poor Jerykk, going through life unaware of the simple joys in life... like catching sarcasm.  

News Comments > BioShock: The Shooter
19. Why the concern? Apr 30, 2007, 13:42 The Raven

This game sounds like System Shock, but better. Cooler AI, better graphics (a given), physics.

But the RPG type elements... inventory, upgrading your weapons and yourself... those a pretty much the same as System Shock 2.

My only sadness is that it will contain no coop play. That was a big joy with System Shock 2.

News Comments > Warren Spector Q&A
4. Re: Bastard Apr 27, 2007, 13:10 The Raven

Warren can go suck a large chickens arse for allowing Deus Ex 2 become a steaming pile of crap.

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

DX2 wasn't a pile of crap in my opinion, it was just a dissapointment. Most sequals are.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shader Mod
29. Re: No subject Apr 26, 2007, 03:36 The Raven

Not much of a stealthie? Wtf?

Actually, I think he meant that HE does not like stealth games much, and Hitman was a stealth game.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Source Zombie Horde
10. Re: too many map exploits Apr 23, 2007, 14:25 The Raven

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who make posts without checking their facts first, maybe you should play Zombie Horde 1.0 first, then comment..?

Beyond playing the game, what kind of 'checking their facts' do you want them to do? They played the game, and it was not fun because it was constantly exploited.

If you force the server admins to FIX THE GAME by making no-go zones, then your game is broken.

That's like selling a car with do-it-yourself airbag kits... the car is still stupid and unsafe. Blaming it on the car owner (the server admin) is idiotic... it's the job of the car maker (mod team) to make the car safe (fix the map exploits), not the job of the car owner.

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 14:26.

News Comments > Steam Cracked?
6. Luckily... Apr 19, 2007, 11:33 The Raven

Steam doesn't store credit cards. There's no option to 'use the last card I used', nor are there any subscription options in Steam that periodically charge your card.

Anything else you give them could be in there, but at least your card is not likely to be. Helps limit their liability.

Edit: Didn't know they kept Cybercafe credit cards... I'm sure they're concerned right now.

This comment was edited on Apr 19, 11:34.

News Comments > Bethesda Buys Fallout
22. Re: Huge News... Apr 13, 2007, 13:26 The Raven

Some people (many) greatly appreciate open ended worlds. Some don't. The open-enders had been slavering for a good game for a long time when Oblivion came out... hence the high reviews. For open-enders, Oblivion was a masterpiece.

You're probably more of a strong-story person. Strong-story people don't like Oblivion... it seems empty, and the side quests are vacuous.

But whining that a game was highly rated because it didn't match YOUR style of play is asinine. Please shut up.

P.S. I'm a strong-story type, and didn't really like Oblivion. I don't have the time for open-ended games anymore.

News Comments > TF2 Cross-platform Details
33. Re: No subject Apr 12, 2007, 19:21 The Raven

Actually, having played the original TF since 1996 when it was first created, this has ALWAYS been true. The engineer runs round creating his emplacements, building the turrets, the teleporters, the ammo boxes; sometimes, the engineer has to fight, but that's only a small part of his job, so aim is NOT that important.

The spy runs around pretending to be a member of the other team... he only pulls the trigger once he's snuck up behind someone, so twitch reflexes aren't that important. The HWG gun is like a rapid fire shotgun... the spread is huge, any even having the bad guy vaguely in the center of your crosshair will work.

This isn't about dumbing down the controls... this is about allowing multiple truly different playstyles for the classes, something rather absent from most class based games. And their decisions to have these different playstyles is over 10 years old, and has nothing to do with making a console version.

News Comments > TF2 Cross-platform Details
32. Re: No subject Apr 12, 2007, 19:12 The Raven

I'm more of the 'apples to oranges' school of thought. Wii is too DIFFERENT from the 360 to be better or worse.

PS3 still sucks though. ;-)

News Comments > Purge Fees Purged
3. Re: ? Apr 9, 2007, 13:35 The Raven

Gamespy's review is pretty accurate. Purge feels like a mod, with the bugs and gameplay problems you would expect of an amateur effort. The polish can be overlooked... the gameplay problems cannot. It's just not a very fun game.

I haven't played it since the first year, so it's possible that better maps got released, and the gameplay problems were fixed... but I doubt it.

News Comments > id & Valve Assets in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?
64. Re: No subject Apr 7, 2007, 06:58 The Raven

Wait... so you don't want mods to change the developer's vision. But instead, you want changes in official patches that go... against the... developer's vision.

Can't have it both ways. They wanted a realistic carrying capacity. They didn't want hoarders hauling rifles back to be sold every 10 minutes. They didn't want you collecting a dozen missions and completing them when you happened to go by. That's their vision, and you want to change it... then use a damn mod, and stop whining.

However, I agree that they should convert saves if they can. If they don't have a good game architecture, that may be impossible... it takes a lot of work to convert a save if the save hardcodes asset locations in the world... change the world, and those hardcoded locations are all crap now. Very difficult to fix.

News Comments > id & Valve Assets in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?
63. Re: Stolen Assets Apr 7, 2007, 06:51 The Raven

Just as a note... it is CURRENTLY 'id', but it has been iD and ID in the past on products released by them... in other words, they can't decide how to capitalize it either, so stop whining when people get a bit confused.  

News Comments > Supreme Commander Patch
6. Re: This came out last week... Apr 5, 2007, 14:24 The Raven

I've had this happen, but usually because of two possible causes:

- Their next order is a guard order, so until that unit dies they will not continue on to the rest of their orders.

- The unit cap has been reached, and they're waiting for something to die. The unit cap includes buildings.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. WoW Accounts Apr 5, 2007, 13:23 The Raven

Amusing that a WoW account sells for more than a credit card, according to the first story.  

News Comments > World of Warcraft Patches
9. Re: Blah Apr 3, 2007, 23:38 The Raven

Wow, like any other MMO, is pointless and trivial. If you're not in a fun, enjoyable guild then there is little to no point in playing.

Imagine going to a bar to drink... and never talking to or meeting anyone. Kinda boring. Pointless. People don't go to bars to drink, they go there to drink with others. If you skip the 'with others' part, there's no point at all.

News Comments > Dark & Light Free For Now
6. No subject Mar 30, 2007, 12:17 The Raven

In this case, free DOES mean it is having problems. If they were making money they would have enough money to pay a new billing manager for a few months while they ALSO maintain their old provider, to have a smoother transition from the old to the new.

Since they are NOT making much money, they decided to turn a problem (their old billing provider) into an advertising opportunity to get more people playing. People try out the game while it is free, and they get more people playing, and then can try charging again in a couple weeks or months when their new provider is up and running.

So yes, this is a pretty good indication that Dark & Light is having problems.

News Comments > EA Forms Music Label
15. EA is Shit... Mar 27, 2007, 10:50 The Raven

But there is some game music I'd like to see re-released. I like instrumental music, and there's definitely some older games with tunes that are deep in my psyche... remastered Ultima tunes for one would be very welcome.  

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Details
45. No subject Mar 23, 2007, 12:04 The Raven

Seriously, put a hobo in front of this thread and he'd hold his hands toward the monitor for warmth. What is it about TF and Valve that brings out the worst in people?

I don't mind the loss of normal grenades. Very minor change, and I agree that it will help differentiate the classes.

I'm looking forward to teleporters... the few weeks that they were in the original TF were pretty crazy fun... 3 caps in one minute may not be very balanced, but it's hilarious. :-) I'm sure they'll do a pretty good job of balancing them.

The personalized stats are interesting. I don't think they'll be that good, or that bad.

And I agree that class differentiation has been shit for most games. MOST. Some do a good job, but very few, and none do it as well as the original TF.

I do hope they allow PCs to play against consoles, just so we can prove once and for all that joysticks are a joke compared to the mouse.

And the last two items of note aren't really noteworthy.

239 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo