Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Myrddin Emrys

Real Name Myrddin Emrys   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Raven
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 3, 2002, 04:27
Total Comments 239 (Novice)
User ID 15062

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Microsoft Flight Grounded
42. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 20:17 The Raven

I am not surprised. They charged a buttload for unfinished (no cockpit) planes. If they charget $2 for a new plane, rather than $9, the adoption rate would have been a lot higher. When a selling feature of your newest DLC is that it isn't incomplete like the last 5, there is an issue.  

Dreaming Demon, formerly Tikatt, formerly The Raven
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New ATI Catalyst Drivers
4. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers Apr 28, 2010, 18:45 The Raven

Anyone know when drivers that allow screen spanning on Vista or 7 are going to be out? I'm stuck playing WoW in windows XP because Windows 7 won't let me run WoW across two monitors.  

News Comments > On Portal 2 Character Design, Co-op Robots
8. Re: On Portal 2 Character Design, Co-op Robots Mar 23, 2010, 18:28 The Raven

Not sure the source of the hate. I'm indifferent to the helmet, and see nothing wrong with the suit. It's functional and boring, which is the whole idea. There are many things unsaid in the Portal interview about Chell, but I think the most important is that she is designed with the same goals as Gordon Freeman: a blank slate, there for the player to impose their own personality. Chell is a role you inhabit and give life to, another mute hero.

There's a webcomic idea there somewhere... Chell and Freeman on a date, neither saying a thing.

News Comments > Playing Mass Effect 2 with No ME1 Saves
23. Re: Playing Mass Effect 2 with No ME1 Saves Jan 26, 2010, 01:33 The Raven

Unfortunately, Tycho was inadvertantly lied to. This option was in a testing build, and does not exist. You cannot 'customize' how the previous run went. This is sad to me... I played ME on the XBox, but am getting the second one for PC, so won't be able to access my saves.

I hope a user made addon is released which does this.

News Comments > Overgrowth and Natural Selection 2 Preorder Bundle
2. Re: Overgrowth and Natural Selection 2 Preorder Bundle Jan 6, 2010, 18:38 The Raven

Someday NS2 will come out. I hope it's worth the wait. Mod projects can sometimes become inbred, where they stop trying to get more people interested, and cater to the harder and harder core players... from their blog, it's difficult to tell if Unknown Worlds is safe from that pitfall, though I am optimistic.  

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced
50. Re: Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced Dec 14, 2009, 19:07 The Raven

Believe it or not, the 'winning formula' you speak of, was actually created in Australia before Valve as we know it today existed.

Considering that the Aussies joined Valve before Half Life was even released, it seems stupid to say that 'Valve' didn't create a winning formula. Those guys have been with Valve for over a decade.

What's more accurate is that Valve finds talented people who complete games for fun, and hires them to make games for money (Joel Spolsky: hire smart people who get things done). They did it with Team Fortress, Counter Strike, and Portal. So 'Valve' is a company with lots of employees who love making cool games for fun. I seriously don't see how this can be construed as a 'bad thing'. That's just about the best way to build a gaming company I can think of.

News Comments > Swift Leaves Valve, Joins Airtight Games
5. Re: Swift Leaves Valve, Joins Airtight Games Dec 7, 2009, 17:47 The Raven

I do not recall anyone else ever leaving Valve. I suspect that Kim either has a philisophical disagreement with the company, or more likely, a personal problem. Say, a work relationship that went sour, or a need to move to a new town for other reasons.

Or, it could be that she's simply young, and does not realize how awesome Valve is compared to other companies. If she was one of the original college students who created the prototype for Portal, then Valve was her first workplace. She may not realize how rarely lightning strikes.

Regardless, I'm hopeful that she finds success at her new job.

News Comments > Free MechWarrior 4 Status
27. Re: Free MechWarrior 4 Status Nov 16, 2009, 15:35 The Raven

They also scream 'Oh Fuck'. Are you telling me that there is a deity named 'Fuck' as well? Because that's about the level of proof you've provided for God.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Lineage
6. Re: Assassin's Creed Lineage Nov 16, 2009, 14:37 The Raven

This address should work for everyone. It's the user account they're uploading the videos from.

http://www.youtube.com/user/assassinscreed

News Comments > Kristin Bell Returns for Assassin's Creed II
7. Re: Kristin Bell Returns for Assassin's Oct 1, 2009, 19:25 The Raven

I read reddit too much... I keep looking for the little gray 'upvote' arrow to click on next to good comments.  

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Interview
15. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Interview Jul 10, 2009, 18:29 The Raven

But seriously, the nice thing about all of the updates is that you aren't forced to use a single one.
Not quite true... it's not like I can choose not to get pee thrown at me, or choose not to get shot with a bow. However, that's immaterial to me because I love all the changes. In particular, the sniper is fun for me now, and I like the new spy cloaks better than the old one. I'm just itching to have an engineer update though...

News Comments > New MechWarrior
28. Re: New MechWarrior Jul 9, 2009, 14:03 The Raven

The features they're listing sound impressive. My pessimism tells me they will shoot for the stars, and instead singe the top of a short tree with their PPC.

A career path for light mechs? Awesome. Dynamic campaigns that offer an interesting path for every mech type? Super. Information warfare (necessary for light mechs to be a viable path)? Splendid. Multiplayer Coop? Beautiful.

Will all of these happen as described? No. We'll be lucky if we get two of the four of these.

News Comments > Overlord II DLC Plans
3. Re: Overlord II DLC Plans Jun 29, 2009, 12:42 The Raven

How about PC controls that don't suck? 100s of hours fine tuning the controls on the XBox controller, and what feels like half an hour mapping them (poorly) to a mouse and keyboard.  

News Comments > ZeniMax Buys id Software
27. Re: ZeniMax Buys id Software! Jun 24, 2009, 13:53 The Raven

The end of an era.

WoW is bought out and they say nothing will change. Every change since the buyout has been aimed at turning WoW from a game that requires skill, to something like miniature golf that the whole family can play. And pay for.

They finally come out and say Duke is never going to be released.

Id, the company that was the poster child for PC gaming, sells their company to someone else.
Still have Valve, the poster child for 'we'll do it right no matter how long it takes'. Since they're turning into a publisher themselves (but still doing games), they're on pretty solid ground at the moment.

But yeah, I'm kinda sad id gave up. Carmack is still a stellar developer, but their releases have been spotty and slow recently... I wouldn't be surprised if they're cash strapped.

News Comments > Procedural City System
4. Re: Procedural City System Jun 22, 2009, 18:23 The Raven

Agreed. Part of the problems for game designers is channeling the player through the content that they will find fun and interesting. Encouraging players to explore interesting options and find hidden items. This whole 'guided exploration' is why games like Assassin's Creed worked so well.

Adding 5000 interior rooms would not improve Assassin's Creed, Grand Theft Auto, or Crackdown... all games that appear to be targeted by this type of technology. Useless area to explore just slows down and frustrates the player.

News Comments > New Steam Community Features
6. Re: New Steam Community Features Jun 18, 2009, 17:34 The Raven

Meanwhile Steam's download delivery and functionality continues to suffer and its customers along with it.

Wait... what? That's their best feature, it works awesomely, and what are you moaning about now? The only QQ worthy thing I've heard recently is the DRM included with that new Riddick game, and that's not Valve's fault... they can't stop a publisher from adding DRM to a product, and they weren't necessarily informed that the DRM existed.

News Comments > Natural Selection 2 Trailer
10. Re: Natural Selection 2 Trailer Jun 15, 2009, 16:20 The Raven

NS is a great game. Unfortunately, you're at the mercy of the builders/general. The inter-dependence between players is high, and being teamed with stupid teammates is always a drag. Since most people are stupid at least some of the time (ignorance, bad day, grumpy, trolling) having your entire half hour game ruined by one or two bad players on your sixteen player team sucks. And it happens more often than it doesn't.

That's what made people switch to Combat servers. At least on a combat server, if someone else sucks they don't interfere with your fun. Combat servers are never as fun as a great vanilla game, but they're not ruined as often either.

News Comments > Action Half-Life 2
19. Re: Action Half-Life 2 Jun 10, 2009, 20:54 The Raven

AQ2 did a couple things very well:

It had weapon choices and combinations, of which most were valid and useful, and above all balanced. It was one of the few games at the time to make sound (and the lack, ala slippers) a valid gameplay choice. I have some fond memories of hand cannon's and slippers in the museum.

It is also one of the very few games to have direct weapons and double-kills... bleeding out is an extremely fun and tension increasing gameplay device that I've rarely seen elsewhere. Who wouldn't want the chance to have another second of life to pay their killer back? This allows for hilarious double kills, tense chases, and last minute saves.

The weapon choices in AQ2 were also varied, far better than other mods like Counter Strike. The hand cannon had completely different gameplay than the sniper rifle, but both were devastating in their proper place. Even the mp5 versus the AK were interesting choices... power versus finesse, with different choices of accessories to back them up.

I haven't even looked at the new version... I'm at work... but I know what I'm going to be downloading at home tonight. Will it equal its grandparent? Who knows.

News Comments > New TF2 Scout Details
34. Re: New TF2 Scout Details Feb 24, 2009, 15:52 The Raven

I've been a user here for longer than you've had pubic hair. Why don't you calm down and go have a Coke or something. You're picking a fight for no reason.

I'm looking forward to the new scout changes myself... I like the Scout, always have... capping is my game. And the less time I spend running back to the front line the better. So some fun class changes and buffs are always welcome.

News Comments > WoW Dual Spec Plans
12. Re: WoW Dual Spec Plans Dec 10, 2008, 17:49 The Raven

Dual spec makes it less expensive to do two things. Right now, you can be good at (specced for) PvP, raiding, or 5man/solo content. Pick one. Classes with multiple roles have it even worse... they literally can't even play if they aren't specced for their role. Questing as a holy priest is mind-numbingly boring.

So I'm all for this. It does not make raiding any easier, or reduce the skill needed to PvP effectively. It just lets people try different things without spending 50 gold and 2 or 3 glyphs to help out in a raid or go to the arenas for the weekend.

239 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo