Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1358 (Pro)
User ID 15046

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > X-COM Series on Steam
10. Re: ... Sep 4, 2008, 15:53 Ecthelion

The xcom games specifically state that vista is not supported. But reading the forums, it just sounds like they're using dosbox emulation just the same.
It seems that they do work in Vista.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722203

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > X-COM Series on Steam
7. Re: ... Sep 4, 2008, 15:41 Ecthelion

Well, they're not compatible with Vista (let alone Vista64) so they're are of little use to me. I really wish Valve would put in a bit of extra effort to ensure legacy games run on Vista (even if it just means putting pressure on the publisher responsible) - the Abe games run on Vista, so there's not really any excuse for these games not to.
How do you know they don't run on Vista? Neither Abe game mentions Vista compatibility in the system requirements listed on Steam, and you said that they work with Vista, so isn't it possible the X-Com ones do as well?

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch
15. Re: I like how The Patches Scrolls Sep 4, 2008, 08:19 Ecthelion

I'd check with Steam's support crew before getting it off Steam though. Who knows if this patch will work with the Steam version?
The guy who makes the patch regularly posts about new versions of the patch on the Steam forum for the game, so apparently it works just fine.

EDIT: I just tried it myself, and it works fine with the Steam version.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 08:49.

News Comments > On Star Wars Games
26. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2008, 19:28 Ecthelion

I think Jedi Academy and Jedi Knight 2 were high quality, with JK2 edging out JA in terms of entertainment. I *felt* like a Jedi, and not a prequel badass mofo, but more like Luke, grasping blindly towards being a Jedi, without a formal code. It was a great effort by Raven I believe it was who developed it.
I couldn't have said it better myself. JK2 is one of the few games I replay at least once a year. It's one of my 3 favorite shooters, along with Half Life 1 and 2 (it's hard to put them in any order, since I love them all).

Nothing beats force pushing people into bottomless pits.

News Comments > Good Old Games Beta Next Week
12. Re: Important question: Sep 3, 2008, 15:58 Ecthelion

Awww, I was hoping that no one would suggest that one. I played Freespace and I found the change from cramped corridors to a wide open space to completely kill everything that made the Descent series so great. I liked the fact that Descent was desolate, disorienting and indoors. It was a tense environment. Freespace lost all of that for me.
Freespace 2 dropped "Descent" from the title, so it's best to think of it as completely separate from Descent (as should be done with the first Freespace as well). Both games are supposed to be space sims, so the Descent connection was misleading.

If you look at Freespace 2 with an open mind, I think you'll find an excellent game there, unless you hate space sims. As a fan of the X-Wing and Wing Commander games, I found Freespace 2 to be another excellent game in the same vein.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Interview
6. Re: Unavoidable combat Sep 3, 2008, 15:55 Ecthelion

To be fair, combat wasn't completely avoidable in the original Fallout games unless you knew exactly what you were doing. It's not like you could talk your way out of random hostile encounters.
True, and I would not complain about random hostile encounters that had to be fought through. Furthermore, it's very rare for a RPG to let you play through without killing anyone. I'm not a die-hard Fallout fan, but I recognize the value of avoidable combat in a RPG. I wouldn't necessarily avoid combat myself, but I would like to have that option. In my opinion, this would be a way for Fallout 3 to stand out from the crowd of FPS-with-RPG-element games and give gamers more replay value (among other things). I don't really care about Fallout 3 having avoidable combat because the earlier games did it, but more because it's a good feature in and of itself.

Hines' comment seemed to encompass more than just random encounters, but I don't want to jump to conclusions. The statement is enough to make me question what he meant though.

News Comments > BioShock Postmortem
35. Re: maybe.. Sep 3, 2008, 15:35 Ecthelion

So let me ask a side question.
I was totally NOT expecting the twist in KOTOR (and loved it), but would my experience of playing KOTOR 2 been better had I not already played the first game, that was much better then the second?
I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to KOTOR and KOTOR2. I don't know anyone who played KOTOR2 but not the first, but I imagine the game would seem better. I remember liking certain elements of the second game better than the first, but on the whole I would agree that the first one was better. That didn't stop me from enjoying the second one though, possibly because I wasn't expecting much.

Is there a point when 'personal hype' totally crushes any sort of enjoyment from a game?
Absolutely, and I think it's part of the reason many people here can't enjoy games like Bioshock. I actually had played SS2, but it had been so long that it wasn't fresh in my memory. I also made a conscious effort to view it as a separate game that drew a few ideas from SS2 (but nothing more). Perhaps games would be a lot better if people like me didn't settle for "average" games, but it's just as possible developers and publishers would stop trying to please increasingly unsatisfied gamers and switch to another market.

Another thing to consider is that dumbing down can't be blamed completely on today's dumber teens (if that is indeed accurate - teens have always been pretty dumb). Older gamers may have something to do with it as well. I don't know if I represent most gamers in my situation in life (i.e. ones that are in their late 20's and up, and who have families and other responsibilities), but I find that I don't have the stamina or attention span for gaming than I did 5 years ago. It's still my favorite hobby, but I don't have the time to devote to it that I once did. I find it a lot harder to get into games that require big time investments - e.g. starting up a RPG (which I used to love doing) now seems like something of a chore. I don't think I'll ever give up PC gaming, or even buy a console for that matter, but I certainly won't complain if games are simplified... within reason. I think that games like Oblivion are designed for people like me just as much as fickle teenagers. I still thought Oblivion was overly simplified, but I seem to be approaching the point where that kind of simplification will seem ideal.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 16:04.

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch
11. Re: Sep 3, 2008, 14:58 Ecthelion

I bought the game when it was first released, and played through as a Toreador. I finished the game after the last official patch (if I'm not mistaken - it may have come out after I finished), but before any of the unofficial patches. I didn't encounter many bugs, and certainly no show-stopping ones; I really enjoyed the game and consider it one of the best RPGs I've played. The voice acting, quests, atmosphere, and gameplay are all excellent.

I've been meaning to play through it again (I even repurchased the game through Steam so I wouldn't have to find my discs), especially to try the Malkavian and Tremere clans, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Also, I'm still not sure whether I should use this line of patches (which apparently changes the game significantly in some ways), or the "True VTMB" line of patches that keeps the game basically unchanged besides fixes. In my experience with unofficial patches and mods, I've sometimes found that fans like to change the balance of the game quite a bit, and not always to my liking. While there is some merit to the argument that a game based on a pen-and-paper game should be very similar to it, computer games don't always benefit from strictly adhering to their source material. As someone who hasn't experienced Vampire The Masquerade outside of this game and Redemption, I don't care if Bloodlines "screws up" the source material. Another thing I've heard is that this line of patches adds widescreen support, which is something I would love to have. Any thoughts on the unofficial patches, Fion?

News Comments > Fallout 3 Interview
1. Unavoidable combat Sep 3, 2008, 13:52 Ecthelion

I found the part about unavoidable combat much more enlightening than the rest of the interview (which mostly consisted of "this is so fucking cool!111!!!"). I like the fact that combat is avoidable, but I'm not sure what to make of his comment that if you don't want to fight "you can have other people handle battles for you" - does this mean that battle is unavoidable, but you can hide while your minions fight for you? If so, it's misleading to say it's possible to play as a pacifist. Technically you'd be avoiding combat yourself, but a pacifist couldn't very well endorse combat by allies either.

However, I remain cautiously optimistic that combat really is avoidable. At the very least, this interview doesn't prove that it isn't, and suggests that it is. Since it appears that meaningful choices are fairly limited (apart from the Megaton quests) and the game seems to be aimed at combat-oriented characters, avoidable combat would be a nice inclusion for us RPG fans.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 13:54.

News Comments > Good Old Games Beta Next Week
6. No subject Sep 3, 2008, 13:29 Ecthelion

According to the site, "Everyone who signs up at www.gog.com before Sunday September 7 at midnight (EDT), during the next week will receive an access key." It sounds like everyone who signs up gets in, just not necessarily on Monday. Those of us who signed up late may have to wait until later in the week.

I didn't realize they were doing a beta, but thanks to seeing this news thread I signed up.

News Comments > Red Alert Free This Weekend; RA2 for RA3 Preorders
2. Re: A decent promotion Aug 29, 2008, 13:55 Ecthelion

Does this include the expansions for RA1 and 2?

News Comments > Dragon Age Toolset Unveiled
3. Re: And if it's anything like NWN tools. Aug 29, 2008, 13:48 Ecthelion

If I recall correctly, NWN had a pretty healthy mod community.
It did and still does. Even NWN2, with its more complicated tools, has a decent mod community.

News Comments > Rockstar Developing Max Payne 3?
18. Re: No subject Aug 27, 2008, 15:45 Ecthelion

Sigh. The Max Payne games weren't first-person.
I don't understand the confusion myself - in many ways, the Max Payne games don't even play like FPS's. However, they are both excellent shooters, and the gameplay is so fun I find myself replaying them pretty frequently. The only other shooters (FPS or not) that I've replayed as often as MP1 & 2 are Jedi Outcast and Half Life 1 & 2.

News Comments > Rockstar Developing Max Payne 3?
9. No subject Aug 27, 2008, 11:53 Ecthelion

Why are people calling Max Payne a FPS?

The series has never been about superior FPS-style graphics. I don't see why the third one would need a bleeding-edge engine to do justice to the series. I think the RAGE engine would be fine. For that matter, an updated version of the Max Payne 2 engine would be fine.

News Comments > Halo 4 and Gearbox?
33. Re: No subject Aug 27, 2008, 10:17 Ecthelion

It is easily the worst console-to-PC port I have ever had the displeasure of playing.
I haven't played Halo 2 (after the boring, bland Halo I had no desire to play any of its sequels), but I consider True Crime: New York City to be the worst console-to-PC port I've ever played. I couldn't play for more than about 5 minutes before giving up. The first one wasn't a great port either, but at least it wasn't torture to play it.

News Comments > Small Left 4 Dead Delay
28. Re: No subject Aug 26, 2008, 12:51 Ecthelion

It's MP Coop. No single player...at least not that has been mentioned ever. And yes it's free to play, but you do have to buy the game. You might want to read at least 1 preview
I've read that bots will fill in any player slots not taken by human players, so it stands to reason that it can be played by only one player. The fact that Turtle Rock made the official Counter-Strike bot makes single player even more likely.

News Comments > ATI DirectX 10.1 Support & Demo
13. Re: Whatever... Aug 25, 2008, 15:13 Ecthelion

I use 7.12 because the 8.X series has been complete crap.
It wasn't until the 3rd or 4th most recent revision of the 8.x series that ATI finally enabled driver-level pillarboxing support for widescreen monitors (at least over a DVI connection; I think VGA may have worked for a while now). It's a very nice feature for those of us with standard widescreen monitors that don't have built-in support for pillarboxing (which apparently only comes with insanely expensive widescreen monitors), and who like playing older games that don't properly support widescreen resolutions.

Here's some info on pillarboxing, if you don't know what I mean.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillarboxing.
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ#Image_Scaling
Look at the "Aspect Scaling" bullet under the "Image Scaling" section.

News Comments > Small Left 4 Dead Delay
20. Re: Smart Valve, Smart Aug 25, 2008, 13:58 Ecthelion

ANY? Did you play Blue Shift?
I remember that the story wasn't as good as Half Life or Opposing Force and that the game was fairly short, but I don't recall the gameplay being bad.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 13:59.

News Comments > Dracula 3: The Path of the Dragon Ships
1. Path of the Dragon Aug 25, 2008, 13:40 Ecthelion

It's Path of the Dragon. The name made me do a double-take, because it's incredibly stupid to put the word "patch" in the title of a game. It's just inviting gamers to find bugs with it, necessitating a patch.

Anyway, I hadn't heard of it before this, so I had to look the game up to make sure it wasn't actually "Patch."

News Comments > Amazon.com Day-of Game Deliveries
12. Re: No subject Aug 25, 2008, 10:46 Ecthelion

Same here, though I ordered it from a UK shop since that was faster than waiting for the US release.
Actually, I goofed. I got mine from Gogamer, and it was the European release. I still had to wait a while for the shipping, although it wasn't a whole week.

1358 Comments. 68 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo