Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1414 (Pro)
User ID 15046

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway ATI Bug
16. Re: ... Oct 15, 2008, 13:37 Ecthelion

I have a friend who is reasonable with computers that is fiercely against ATi cards, saying the cause problems and conflict with systems. He also bashes Vista, attributing any problem with my system as being the result of Vista (even when it's clearly not the case). I really don't understand this irrational dislike people have for certain products. I think it speaks far more about the individual than the products they criticise.
I think you're right. My brother loves to bash Vista (to be fair, he did use it for a while), even though I've had only very minor problems running it. But it seems like he has a dislike of just about everything these days... he's always complaining about modern movies and games. I think he just likes bashing things, and the same seems to be true of ATI "haters."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Far Cry 2 DRM Follow-up
38. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 11:53 Ecthelion

One day we'll discuss something other than DRM and piracy on BluesNews.....one day.
It's not that important to me, actually. I'm much more interested in the game itself than the DRM it uses. The reason I don't have the game preordered is because I'm not sure how good it will be.

With X3:TC to keep me busy for a long time, I probably wouldn't be able to play this until it's in the budget bin anyway... if it's cheap, I won't care much about being able to reinstall the game.

34. Re: Upgrade vs. new computer Oct 15, 2008, 11:48 Ecthelion

Also your Win XP comparison is seriously lacking. I can tell you from first hand experience that Win XP is very lenient. A little while ago (and that was actually after a few minor upgrades involving RAM and the video card several times(!)) I went for a major upgrade and got a new mainboard, CPU, graphics card and a hard disk and now guess what. Even though I fully expected XP to demand manual activation by calling in I did not have to but it let me activate my copy by the click of a button as usual. Easy. Simple. Hasslefree. Awesome.
Vista appears to be just as lenient. I did a major upgrade like you (although I kept my hard drive), and I only needed to do a normal online activation (like you). I used the same Vista Ultimate key that I had before the upgrade, and I didn't need to manually activate it.

Now it's possible that this is because I have a non-retail key that I received by going to a Microsoft Expo, but I'm not sure.

14. Re: ... Oct 15, 2008, 10:43 Ecthelion

Very much. I remember a time when updating nVidia or ATi drivers would result in bluescreens but now things are very different. I've had an 8800GT and currently a 4870 and both worked fine, so I don't understand this mentality that ATi drivers are terrible. Even the performance of the Catalyst Control Center, something that performed very slowly when I had a X850XT, has improved and support for resolution resizing for widescreen monitors has been added.

I would happily buy a card from either company. I buy entirely on performance / cost ratio, though the overclocking options for ATi cards gives them an ever so slight edge in my opinion (on Vista64 that is, where other options are very limited because of driver signing). ATi cards offer better performance / price for this generation.
Exactly. I haven't had any problems with any of my ATI cards since the X800XL (which went to a X1800XT before my current HD4850). The Catalyst Control Center hasn't always been the best tool, but it performs adequately now. I've also noticed the aspect ratio scaling for widescreen monitors ability, and I use it on all my older games.

I don't know why people have the idea that ATI drivers are crappy... I haven't had any problems with any games I've played on my current card or either of the older ones.

I'd probably buy from either company again, but right now the 4850 blows Nvidia away in performance/price. That consideration is far more important to me than any silly brand loyalty based on flawed perceptions of either company.

18. Re: Upgrade vs. new computer Oct 15, 2008, 10:35 Ecthelion

Worrisome reports so far have indicated that even a new graphics card flags it as a new PC. I wouldn't be surprised if getting a new burner for your broken one would flag it as a new PC.
If that's true, then they're outright lying. Upgrading the video card is probably the most common computer upgrade, so if that isn't supported, they have no business saying upgrades are supported. It's understandable is a "revoke" is necessary before upgrading (hopefully this won't require an uninstall and reinstall), but if upgrading your video card uses up an extra one of the 3 PC's, that's ridiculous.

5. Upgrade vs. new computer Oct 15, 2008, 09:53 Ecthelion

I'm wondering when an upgrade is considered a separate PC. What unique identifier are they using that flags a system as being a specific PC? When I do a major upgrade, which usually involves upgrading to a new CPU that needs a new form factor (and therefore a new motherboard), will Ubisoft consider it the same PC? All I'd be keeping is the case, the hard drives, and the DVD writer... everything else would change. It's true that I wouldn't do this 4 times within the next 5 years, but it's likely that I will 10 years from now... will the activation system be removed by then? If the game is good enough, I may still want to play it that far down the road.

I'm waiting until I see reviews on this, but I'm curious how the activation system is really going to work. It sounds fine in theory, but without more details we can't know for sure.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 09:57.

12. Re: ... Oct 15, 2008, 09:39 Ecthelion

But really, an issue like this is ridiculous. There are only two companies making worthwhile graphics cards and yet the game only works properly with one of those. It seems they're able to fix this issue, which means it's not difficult and should have been fixed during development.
All of the Nvidia users here are quick to jump on ATI's case*, but how do we know it's their fault? As theyarecomingforyou said, this should have been caught in development. This is what we do know: the latest Catalysts have been out for over a month, and Gearbox should have had time to test them. Regardless of where the fault lies for the bug, Gearbox is at fault for not finding the issue before release (or finding the problem and ignoring it). They knew that a large percentage of PC gamers have ATI cards, so that should have motivated them to test the game on ATI hardware better.

Multiplatform development is probably to blame, although they had 2 weeks to work on the PC version after the console version were released.

* I guess the silly video card brand rivalry is still alive and well.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 09:42.

News Comments > On Half-Life 2: Episode Three Scheduling
5. No subject Oct 14, 2008, 10:16 Ecthelion

This means another 6 months at best... damn.

I wouldn't mind some info on Lost Souls either.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2008, 10:17.

News Comments > New Evochron Renegades
5. Re: No subject Oct 10, 2008, 14:41 Ecthelion

Third thing - it's like the X games, although without the art quality but with the interface and features that X should have.
Unfortunately, it removes the ability to have massive fleets, which is a pretty big part of the core of the X series.

I tried this a while back, but I just couldn't get into it. I'm sure the upcoming X3 Terran Conflict will keep me busy though.

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Steam Preorders
27. Re: ... Oct 10, 2008, 12:59 Ecthelion

Any Total War game gets pre-ordered via Steam so I can play the second it's available. Stardock fricking rocks, and Half-Life is ... well... it's Half Life!
So did you preorder Episode 1 and the Orange Box? Those are the only two games I've preloaded (so far) on Steam, because I didn't have broadband when Half Life 2 came out. On the retail side of things, I've preordered lots of games over the years, and there are even more that I bought on the day of release (which I didn't preorder). There are some games I don't mind being a "beta tester" for.

That said, there are quite a few games I'm interested in that are coming out before the end of the year, and I'm not going to buy them all right away: X3 Terran Conflict, Saint's Row 2, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, RA3, Quantum of Solace, Tomb Raider Underworld, Left 4 Dead, NWN2 expansion, and GTA4. I think I'll get about half of them at release, and wait for the rest to drop in price. I don't have time to play them all when they come out anyway.

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2008, 13:02.

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Steam Preorders
17. Re: No subject Oct 10, 2008, 11:13 Ecthelion

Preordering is for Elton Johns.
So only aging multimillionaire, multiplatinum-selling pop stars with a preference for oversized sunglasses preorder?

I'm waiting for reviews on this one. I know it doesn't have a lot to do with the previous game (which I disliked) besides the name, but that and other factors (such as the multiplatform release) are enough to make me wait. Some of the features sound cool on paper, but how many times have games sounded cooler than they really were?

News Comments > Tim Cain on Fallout 3
8. Re: Fallout 3 did have settlements and towns Oct 8, 2008, 14:45 Ecthelion

Of course it's not the direction you'd have gone, Tim. That's because you make made real CRPGs, unlike Bethesda and Oblivion with Guns.
Unfortunately, Cain has now jumped on the MMO bandwagon, so he's not making real CRPGs anymore.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2008, 14:45.

News Comments > Ubisoft: EndWar PC Impacted by Piracy
32. Re: No subject Oct 8, 2008, 12:14 Ecthelion

Bethesda said in their last interview that it's a major concern but that they remain dedicated to the PC platform in hopes that consumers will make the right choice. I suspect if Fallout 3 is heavily pirated then we won't be seeing future Bethesda games on the PC though.
Good for them. I will be surprised if Fallout 3 isn't heavily pirated on the PC, given the many fans that aren't sure about Bethesda's direction for their beloved series. But it will sell like hotcakes on the Xbox360 and PS3, and their should still be a decent amount of PC sales. It may not pay off on the PC like they would hope, but they can afford to not worry about it.

News Comments > X3: Terran Conflict Delayed Again
9. Re: Question... Oct 6, 2008, 05:26 Ecthelion

Oh well. By that time other stuff will be out, so I'll get it some time in January. Maybe. If it had been released when it was supposed to, I would have gotten it, since it would have fitted in nicely between several games.
While I agree with your other sentiments (although I liked reading the X3 manual, despite its flaws and inability to help much with the actual game), what games are coming out between now and 10/17? The next games I'm aware of are Red Alert 3 and Fallout 3, which don't come out until the end of the month.

News Comments > GoG & DRM Interview
11. Re: Lucasarts Sep 27, 2008, 00:55 Ecthelion

I recently re-installed Baldur's Gate 2 and GAH. 800x600 is fucking horrible.
You do know BG2 supports resolutions higher than 800x600 natively, right? I played it at 1024x768 back when the game first came out. There is also this: http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/

7. Re: Lucasarts Sep 26, 2008, 21:05 Ecthelion

They aren't 'totally separate'. They all moved into 1 big place so they all could share stuff among the groups.
Maybe not "totally" separate then, but my point was that Lucas has very little to do with LucasArts beyond the name. He was the force behind modifying the original trilogy (they are his movies, after all), so without his input into the games, there wouldn't be a reason to "fix" everything. He cares about his movies, because they're like his children. I doubt he spends much time thinking about LucasArts Star Wars games.

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 21:06.

4. Re: Lucasarts Sep 26, 2008, 17:34 Ecthelion

LucasArts and LucasFilm are totally separate. Plus I doubt they would want to have to go back into DOS and Windows code to change their old games, since they've moved onto consoles pretty much exclusively.

News Comments > Game Mash-ups
8. No subject Sep 26, 2008, 17:05 Ecthelion

I never got into either Tribes game. I was playing different games at the time, and I didn't hear about Tribes until later. I have never been a multiplayer gamer though (except for my short stint with MMOs a few years back), so that might explain it too.

One of my friends in college was a huge Tribes fan though... I think that was the first time I saw the game, but it didn't seem all that fun to me. I played through the story in Tribes Vengeance (because I was a fan of Irrational's previous games), which I found to be pretty mediocre. That kind of game didn't really seem ideal for a singleplayer game.

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 17:05.

2. Re: No subject Sep 26, 2008, 16:49 Ecthelion

These people really get it. I am really impressed with GOG so far. I just hope more publishers start to see that they're a service worth putting their games on. Getting LucasArts would be a huge boost for GOG and get them even more well-deserved publicity.

News Comments > Free Fallout on GameTap & GameTap's Future
25. Re: Torrents Sep 25, 2008, 14:20 Ecthelion

The boards at gog also list which mods work, and gamers that post there are great with helping to get stuff working.
I was going to mention those boards, but I didn't know if Overon (much less anyone else wanting high-res mods) was in the GOG beta and therefore able to access those boards.

1414 Comments. 71 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo