Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1390 (Pro)
User ID 15046

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Dark Horizon
10. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2008, 18:06 Ecthelion

Why should we have to play 9 year old games when every other genre has been leapin & boundin into next gen territory
Because the genre stopped being feasible from a sales standpoint. Sales for Freespace 2 were far below expectations, and I doubt the genre ever sold really well to begin with. The games industry is a business, so it's primary concern is making money. While other genres were still doing really well in terms of sales, space sims were doing worse, so the industry let the genre die. It sounds like you helped ensure its death, by dismissing the major sims that came out after Freespace 2 but before the genre died altogether.

If you didn't even care for a decent chunk of the games in the genre back when publishers still cared about it, how do you think new space sims would measure up? I doubt publishers would think "how can we improve on past space sims and make them even more hardcore" if they ever revisted the genre. No, they'd figure out a way to make them accessible for consoles.
edit: That does it...after all this talk I gotta play through the FS series, starting with the original.
Definitely get the Freespace Open engine to play it in. The original Freespace and expansion are supported as well as Freespace 2.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 18:07.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky MP Map
12. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2008, 16:24 Ecthelion

Why do people buy games from developers with a record of releasing games unfinished? Seriously... don't complain about this sort of thing if you are helping perpetuate it.
Don't worry, I'm sure there is at least one person among the prior posters who didn't actually buy the game. Pirates still complain about buggy games, even though they didn't waste any money on them. Besides, even if no one here pirated the game, it will probably still sell under expectations and be blamed on piracy.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 16:28.

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Dark Horizon
6. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2008, 15:51 Ecthelion

uh where have you been -its been like this for the last 10+ years...
It hasn't been quite that long - just looking at major releases that had a lot of press back in the day:
1999 - Freespace 2, X-Wing Alliance
2000 - Starlancer, Klingon Academy, Allegiance
2001 - IWar2

The combat space sim genre has never had more than a few big games a year, so the genre didn't really die until 2001 or so. Still, 7 years is almost as bad as 10. If there's one genre I'd like to see revived before I die, it's this one. Stranger things have happened, but I'm not counting on seeing any major space sims again.
Not sure how this is, but if you have been jonesing for a good space flight sim, I'd recommend the re-re-re-release of Freespace 2 on GOG.com (Good old games). All of $5.99 and it works just peachy under Vista right from the download. It even still looks pretty damned good.
Seconded. It looks even better if you play it with the FreeSpace Open engine, which works fine with the GOG version. I recently played through the main FS2 campaign using FSO under Vista, and it was every bit as good as it was 9 years ago when I first played it.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 15:56.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Weapons Video
8. Re: Backstory Sep 23, 2008, 14:45 Ecthelion

Does anyone know of a webpage that has the story of Fallout 1&2? Honestly 3 is the first one in the series I will be playing and I would like to catch up on what I have missed.
If you just need a summary, Wikipedia should be fine.

I think Bethesda is one of the most overrated RPG developers out there. Give me Black Isle or Trolka any day over these talentless ass clowns
I agree, although I still enjoy their games. I don't play them expecting really deep RPGs, but action RPGs with light to moderate role-playing. Under those expectations, their games are pretty fun. They do a good job of creating large worlds, even if there isn't much to do in them.

As for Black Isle and Troika, I love their games, but it's important to remember that they make very different games from Bethesda. Vampire Bloodlines is one of my favorite games, but while replaying it recently, I quickly realized that it was a lot smaller than I remembered. Every building you go in has a quest associated with it, for example. It's one of the best in terms of story and quests, but the exploration aspect of the game is weaker. Bethesda's games give you more freedom, but the RPG aspects aren't as tight.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 14:58.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - LEGO Batman
12. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2008, 14:30 Ecthelion

What platforms actually have online multiplayer coop support? I get the impression that it might only be 360/PS3, if anything.
According to the UGO review of the 360 version, it doesn't have online coop. Since the 360 version doesn't have it, it's safe to assume that none of them do.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 14:32.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - LEGO Batman
9. No subject Sep 23, 2008, 10:07 Ecthelion

I wonder if this one will require as much disk space as LEGO Indy. I realize the background graphics in the last one were substantially improved, but it seemed a little too big for the kind of game it is. I can't find proper system requirements for this game anywhere.

Oh well, I'll be getting this one either way.

News Comments > X3: Terran Conflict Delay
6. Re: so Sep 23, 2008, 08:07 Ecthelion

why cant I fly all the way from Earth to Mars in 1 go if I wanted without using jumpgates?

Oh yea I forgot..X3 takes places in these little spaces between gates that make the universe feel very small:-S
Why do you bother bashing space sims that you clearly hate, like X3? Egosoft is never going to make a game that meets your standards (their games seem fundamentally different from your idea of a perfect space sim), so you might as well give up and move on to something else. Honestly, is there anything at all that you like about the X games? Every thread where one of their games is mentioned, you take the opportunity to bash it once again. I'll never pretend these games are perfect, and I certainly understand a little criticism. But it's starting to seem like Egosoft raped your mother and killed your father, the way you go on.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 08:10.

News Comments > CD Projekt on DRM
33. Re: GOG is Great Sep 22, 2008, 20:59 Ecthelion

Ecthelion if you read this in time you might be in luck as they extanded it.
Sweet! I was able to get my free game after all, thanks to you.

30. Re: GOG is Great Sep 22, 2008, 19:06 Ecthelion

Only when:

a) There aren't enough seeders, or high speed seeders (same issue as having a fast download server to begin with)
b) You can't configure your router to receive incoming connections.
c) Your ISP sucks and/or throttles torrents.

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 19:43.

12. Re: GOG is Great Sep 22, 2008, 12:37 Ecthelion

!!! If you haven't played Full Throttle yet, you owe it to yourself to rush to the store and... oh... umm... rush to the nearest digital distributor that stocks the game and... oh...
Ohhh, so that's what GOG is for. (shameless, I know!)
Yeah, but you need to get Full Throttle on there first...

I'm in the beta too, but unfortunately I was lazy and didn't redeem my code in time (I missed it by 10 minutes). But I'm extremely impressed with the site so far. They really did a great job setting it up.

I still have my original BG and Tales of the Sword Coast CD's but have been hesitant to install and get it to work under XP (compatibility and resolution issues, etc --> DOS Box)
BG and TotSC work fine in XP, and DOS Box won't help since they're Windows games. Resolution won't be a problem, except that the lower resolutions will look rather pixellated on current monitors. But there is a tool to give BG widescreen support: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12374

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 12:44.

News Comments > New ATI CATALYST Drivers
3. Re: No subject Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Ecthelion

I had to have a 25 foot DVI cable b/c unless a monitor is detected as the primary display, the UI for Vista Media Center is virtually unusable (save the jokes please). So strange.
I use Vista Media Center myself, on my media computer. But I have it hooked up to my TV via s-video (I know, yuck), so thankfully the cord was quite cheap. I'm not sure what you were trying to do with your setup (TV as primary?), but it sounds similar to mine. I remember having to fiddle with the TV and a monitor (that I have since disconnected) before I got it working.

News Comments > New ATI CATALYST Drivers
5. No subject Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Ecthelion

That sounds like what happens when the desktop resolution changes. Windows doesn't store the icon positions for a resolution so that when it switches back, everything is where it should be. It only happens when a higher resolution goes to a lower one, where the icons no longer fit so they're moved.

Anyway, I've worked around that by using a third-party utility that saves the desktop icon positions. It's found here (http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http://www.midiox.com/desktoprestore.htm), and I highly recommend it.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Q&A
12. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2008, 11:53 Ecthelion

i call bullshit - you got anything to back that up?

prove it
Here are links of someone who supposedly beat Fallout 2 in a little under 20 minutes.

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYY52HLtC9s
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaljDOi8ApE&feature=related

News Comments > Fallout 3 Q&A
9. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2008, 11:12 Ecthelion

space captain I didn't see your quote in the link Blue posted, could ya post a link for it? Thanks.

It's in the interview, he just cut it very short.
I think he was asking about the second post by space captain, the one about the 75-min speed run.

News Comments > GTA 4 PC Specs
6. No subject Sep 13, 2008, 13:31 Ecthelion

Did they even make DVD-ROM drives that couldn't read dual-layer discs? I remember the first DVD drive I ever bought would read them, and that thing was like 4x.

News Comments > On GTA IV Sales and the EA Takeover
20. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2008, 16:23 Ecthelion

It probably won't do so hot on the PC, the multiplayer is going to use Windows Live which usually means games will be hosted off of peoples crappy dsl/cable modem connections.
How many people are going to buy it for the multiplayer? GTA games have never had it before, and that didn't stop them from selling like hotcakes. As far as I'm concerned, GTA4's MP is just something extra. It shouldn't negatively affect sales.

News Comments > Gold - X: Terran Conflict
19. Re: Wheeeee Sep 11, 2008, 21:02 Ecthelion

One thing I've always wanted Egosoft to do is to allow me to remap buttons. That doesn't seem to be that hard.
X3 lets you remap keys and buttons, but it's a little hard to find. It's under the options menu.

16. Re: Steam Sep 11, 2008, 16:39 Ecthelion

I haven't played IWar2, but it seems like there's a whole lot more going on (or potentially going on) in X3 than in other space sims. Were there huge fleets in IWar2? In X3, the player could theoretically have 100 or more ships fighting in one sector, with just as many enemy ships. I know the game is divided into separate sectors because of computer limitations. Out-of-sector combat is only calculated using numbers, for example, because it would tax the computer too much to handle all of the physics of all those ships fighting each other. Implementing Newtonian Physics would just add another factor to be computed for each ship in the current sector. Unless the computer calculations behind Newtonian physics are far simpler than I think they are, it would be too much to implement them for each ship in the current sector.

How effectively did the AI in IWar2 use Newtonian physics to its advantage? Judging from the limitations of the AI in the X series, I don't think it would do very well with it, so it would end up being a cheap tactic the player could use to exploit the AI.

13. Re: Steam Sep 11, 2008, 15:56 Ecthelion

The AI in Independence War worked for me so I don't think its that much more difficult to code AI that relies newtonian physics.
Yeah, if the game was just about flight and combat, which the X series isn't. I-War didn't have station building, and with the way the sectors are laid out in the X games, how would Newtonian physics work?

10. Re: No subject Sep 11, 2008, 13:44 Ecthelion

Well, having been an X insider since almost the beginning, it's easy to say that the interface is a piece of cake...once you use it for 200+ hours or so. If you think about it, it's actually kind of hard to build a decent GUI in a space-trading game. Something that is funcional but not intrusive, especially when in combat. Personally, I think a full-fledged Newtonian physics model would be the death of X. It would be information overload, plus the developement time would skyrocket. No, the movement model is just fine for X the way it is...
I agree. People think it's easy to implement and use those kinds of features, but it's not. I doubt if the X series will ever have Newtonian physics... the game isn't designed around the flight engine - that's just part of the many aspects of the game. Besides, the AI has trouble with the flight engine as it is now; imagine what would happen if you threw Newtonian physics into the mix.

1390 Comments. 70 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo