Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1431 (Pro)
User ID 15046

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Left 4 Dead Demo Only One Week
1. Re: Left 4 Dead Demo Only One Week Oct 28, 2008, 17:22 Ecthelion

At least the early demo bonus isn't retail-only.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3
67. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Oct 28, 2008, 15:51 Ecthelion

The disc install is only 5.62GB, but maybe Steam is accounting for savegames.  

News Comments > Left 4 Dead Demo Early Access
55. Re: Left 4 Dead Demo Early Access Oct 27, 2008, 20:33 Ecthelion

While I typically agree with certain things the US is behind on(metric system...broadband propagation) this is not one. Month/Day is easier to read by computers and easier to read in lists. The ideal situation would be YYYY/MM/DD, but shorthand I'll take MM/DD.
Regardless, on the internet it's best to use the name of the month to reduce confusion. You can't assume your readers will use either little endian or middle endian formats, because you don't know where they're from.

38. Re: Left 4 Dead Demo Early Access Oct 27, 2008, 15:52 Ecthelion

Frankly I'm just happy to be getting a demo at all, it's rare to see them as a PC gamer. I'd prefer if Valve didn't help support Gamestop since they treat their employees and their customers like garbage but in the end it helps them stay in business so I can't really complain much.
Agreed. Both this and Tomb Raider Underworld are getting PC demos, which is a nice return to form for the PC platform.

I'm definitely going to try the demo. I just wish there were a better pre-order bonus than early access to the demo (which won't do me any good if I preorder after I try the demo). At least there's the $5 off though, which is available at Steam as well as Gamestop. To be honest, Gamestop would have to have a really damned good bonus for me to choose them over Steam anyway.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2008, 15:56.

30. Re: Left 4 Dead Demo Early Access Oct 27, 2008, 15:09 Ecthelion

This game has DRM through Steam even if purchased at retail so why do you care anyways?
And where did you get that idea from?
I think he's arguing that the Steam platform is a form of DRM, so you should be categorically opposed to using it. Of course, most reasonable gamers don't consider Steam DRM, or at least not on the same level as activation limit DRM or DRM that installs unwanted software. Technically I suppose it qualifies as DRM, but I think most people realize that's not the kind of DRM to which your sig is referring.

I think this is a strategy to get more people to pre-order the game. Not to reward people who have already ordered it or cancel orders. Have you noticed that almost every game lately has pre-order boxes on the shelf in retail stores and pre-orders in general are pushed as if they were real sales?

Pre-orders are an easy way to maximize profit on release day, instead of buying 50 copies for every store, you order 5 copies, and the pre-order copies and you minimize overstocking the game. That way if a game is a huge success or an epic failure they only have 5 copies left after selling the ones they pre-ordered.

These numbers are used to determine how many copies they will buy. It's that simple. Has nothing to do with showing the quality of the game to gamers. It's about sales. And selling a game has nothing to do with showing it to gamers. They want your cash money, and if you say you'll give it to them for a copy of this game, they will make every attempt to get your money.
Good point. I have definitely noticed the ubiquitous presence of preorder boxes, and I've also noticed that multiplatform releases (unless they are AAA titles) tend to ignore the PC version. I went to several stores on the day LEGO Batman came out, and not one of them had the PC version in stock. Of course, the console versions were everywhere, but there wasn't even one copy of the PC version. I decided never to buy a game at retail again (hopefully I'll stick to that) and ordered it on Amazon.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2008, 15:14.

22. Re: Left 4 Dead Demo Early Access Oct 27, 2008, 14:19 Ecthelion

So basically you are arguing with yourself over semantics. If it was called a "beta" you'd be fine. But since it's called a "demo", you have a problem with it.
Dagok, did you even read my post? It's not just the naming, it's the way it works. A public beta is intended to help reduce bugs and refine gameplay on a more massive scale than what is possible through closed beta testing. Even if that's what this was intended to be (with it being called a "demo" instead of a "beta"), that's obviously not the case here. 2 weeks before retail release isn't enough lead time for a beta. It might be if this were Steam only, but with a retail version the discs will already have been produced by the time the demo starts. So this is a demo, plain and simple.

Also, don't assume "hating" where there is none. All I am question is this choice of preorder bonuses, not the game itself. I'm a huge Valve fan, and I have bought almost all of their games. I'm hesitating about this one only because I'm not a multiplayer gamer, so I'll try the demo and see how good the teammate AI is (hopefully the demo isn't multiplayer only). However, my personal feelings on Left 4 Dead (which coincidentally are entirely positive) - from what I've read and seen of it - have nothing to do with my questioning of this. It seems like a gimmick on Gamestop's part. I don't care if I - as someone who hasn't preordered - have to wait for the demo until a week before the game comes out; that's still plenty of time for me to evaluate the demo and decide whether to buy the game. I'm not questioning this because I'm bitter about having to wait, I'm questioning it because I think it's a strange preorder bonus.

The reason I'm questioning this is that I've always questioned iffy preorder incentives; this is no different. If I was undecided about getting this game, early access to a demo certainly wouldn't make me decide to preorder. Also, this preorder incentive is useless for anyone who is on the fence until a week before the game, because by then the demo would be publicly available anyway. Even stranger is that early access to the demo gives people who preordered from Gamestop an extra week to decide they don't like the game and cancel the preorder (assuming you can cancel after you redeem the access code). It seems like a strange move for Gamestop to make.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2008, 14:31.

14. Re: Left 4 Dead Demo Early Access Oct 27, 2008, 13:33 Ecthelion

Most people don't give a shit about stats and play games to have fun and enjoy them...not to be stat whores.
Many Xbox gamers would probably disagree with you, and it has been confirmed that Valve will use Achievements in Left 4 Dead. Anyway my point wasn't really about stats. What confuses me is that a demo is not really intended for people who have already bought the game. I would understand if it was a beta, and the "preorderees" would give feedback to Valve. Demos are made to sell games, so why is this bonus of value? I suppose it's just about being able to play early, but it still seems kind of gimmicky.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2008, 13:34.

10. Re: Left 4 Dead Demo Early Access Oct 27, 2008, 12:52 Ecthelion

What is the point of this? Unless it's a multiplayer demo that keeps your stats when the actual game comes out (kind of like the TF2 beta), I don't see why gamers who preordered would want to play it. The point of a demo is to sell people on a game... if I preorder a game, I'm not going to play a demo after I've already decided to buy it. With a primarily multiplayer game, I suppose the game won't be "spoiled" by playing the demo, but I still think it's counter intuitive.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2008, 12:53.

News Comments > DX3 Dev: Deus Ex was "Kinda Slow"
75. Re: DX3 Dev: Deus Ex was Oct 24, 2008, 10:04 Ecthelion

I was truly heartbroken when I played DX2. I think that was the only time I ever contemplated suicide.
Good grief! It's just a game...

I loved Deus Ex too, but that's taking obsession to an extreme.

I'm thinking DX3 will be like Fallout 3: maybe a decent game in and of itself, but not a true sequel to the original game. I'll try to keep that frame of reference when I play either game, so as to minimize disappointment.

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue
14. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 23, 2008, 13:39 Ecthelion

If it cuts parts of the HUD off or made it so that you couldn't easily see an approaching enemy in peripheral vision I could understand it but this is not the case in either of these two games.
It has less to do with "being able to see more" than it does with having the correct aspect ratio. It's similar to widescreen movies being cropped to 4:3 (although not as drastic of course, and they're not technically simply cropped - the view pans around to show important stuff off the 4:3 view). Widescreen is supposed to be 4:3 plus additional view to the sides. Period. Vert - is an incorrect interpretation of widescreen. It's the principal of the thing, not just how it affects gameplay.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Announced
23. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Oct 21, 2008, 22:30 Ecthelion

I guess this was inevitable, but it's still sad to see Bioware jump on the MMO bandwagon.

At least Obsidian is still making real RPGs, even if they're imperfect.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2
37. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2 Oct 21, 2008, 16:32 Ecthelion

I have Ultimate only because I can afford it and plus it is write-off as a business expense anyway.
I have Ultimate only because I got it for free at a Microsoft Expo (the one promoting SQL Server 2008, Visual Studio 2008, and Windows Server 2008). It's 32-bit, but I decided to give it a try and I am happy with it.

I have some minor gripes (mainly why my view resets on certain folders, even though I applied the view to all folders*), but overall I like some of the bells and whistles. I haven't had any stability or compatibility problems either. I'm looking forward to trying DX10 gaming, once I actually get a DX10-capable game (Bioshock is, but I don't see myself replaying it anytime soon). Maybe this will be the first one, if it seems worth it after I check out some reviews. I'd really like a demo though.

* It only happens sometimes, but it's annoying. I think Windows is looking at the folder and finding certain files that makes it think it's a media folder or something. Anybody know what I'm talking about, and how to fix it?

News Comments > Far Cry 2 ATI Hotfix
13. Re: Far Cry 2 ATI Hotfix Oct 20, 2008, 20:11 Ecthelion

I do wish that installing new drivers wouldn't mess up my desktop icons (by lowering the resolution temporarily and rearranging them) but that's merely a mild inconvenience.
Use Desktop Restore, it's a great utility. It even lets you save the desktop icons at multiple resolutions, although most people only care about one.

News Comments > On Open-World Co-op Support
9. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 15:57 Ecthelion

Props to them for adding this co-op into Saints Row 2, but where is the freaking PC version?!
Apparently it's been delayed, and Volition claims it was done by the publisher without their knowledge. The date that most retailers are showing is November 10, which puts it 8 days before GTA4 PC. Perhaps that's not a coincidence.

News Comments > Revised Gamer's Bill Of Rights - Stardock on DRM
5. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 23:03 Ecthelion

Stardock: Abortions for all!
Audience: BOO!
Stardock: Okay... Abortions for none!
Audience: BOO!
Stardock: Hmmnn... Abortions for some, tiny American flags for others!
Audience: YAAY!!!
Great Simpsons quote.

It's not surprising that they changed #8, because they wouldn't get a lot of publishers on board without it.

News Comments > Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway ATI Bug
19. Re: ... Oct 15, 2008, 19:11 Ecthelion

It has nothing to be a fanboi, but if you compare driver support between the 2 companies, and overall games issues with Nvidia and ATI, it's fairly clear who to go with.

At the end of the day I just don't want to have to fight with my drivers.
I honestly have never had a single issue with any of my ATI cards and drivers. I haven't used an Nvidia card since the GeForce4 days.

News Comments > Far Cry 2 DRM Follow-up
82. Re: ... Oct 15, 2008, 16:31 Ecthelion

HL2, Episode 1, Episode 2, and Portal are all games that would be considered console games by today's standards. Console games have advanced quite a bit in the past few years and you may not realize that the controls you use in those games are simple enough to be called console configs by today's standards. Playing through episode 2 didn't feel any different than playing HL2 and ep1 on my PC. The experience was the same.
So what? It followed the PC FPS standard, so the experience was similar? Why is that a bad thing?

You're saying that the Orange Box played like a console game because it didn't take advantage of the PC's features? In what way? The only thing I can think of is that it didn't use all the eye candy available at the time. I hope you're not making the argument that graphics equals gameplay.

News Comments > Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway ATI Bug
16. Re: ... Oct 15, 2008, 13:37 Ecthelion

I have a friend who is reasonable with computers that is fiercely against ATi cards, saying the cause problems and conflict with systems. He also bashes Vista, attributing any problem with my system as being the result of Vista (even when it's clearly not the case). I really don't understand this irrational dislike people have for certain products. I think it speaks far more about the individual than the products they criticise.
I think you're right. My brother loves to bash Vista (to be fair, he did use it for a while), even though I've had only very minor problems running it. But it seems like he has a dislike of just about everything these days... he's always complaining about modern movies and games. I think he just likes bashing things, and the same seems to be true of ATI "haters."

38. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 11:53 Ecthelion

One day we'll discuss something other than DRM and piracy on BluesNews.....one day.
It's not that important to me, actually. I'm much more interested in the game itself than the DRM it uses. The reason I don't have the game preordered is because I'm not sure how good it will be.

With X3:TC to keep me busy for a long time, I probably wouldn't be able to play this until it's in the budget bin anyway... if it's cheap, I won't care much about being able to reinstall the game.

34. Re: Upgrade vs. new computer Oct 15, 2008, 11:48 Ecthelion

Also your Win XP comparison is seriously lacking. I can tell you from first hand experience that Win XP is very lenient. A little while ago (and that was actually after a few minor upgrades involving RAM and the video card several times(!)) I went for a major upgrade and got a new mainboard, CPU, graphics card and a hard disk and now guess what. Even though I fully expected XP to demand manual activation by calling in I did not have to but it let me activate my copy by the click of a button as usual. Easy. Simple. Hasslefree. Awesome.
Vista appears to be just as lenient. I did a major upgrade like you (although I kept my hard drive), and I only needed to do a normal online activation (like you). I used the same Vista Ultimate key that I had before the upgrade, and I didn't need to manually activate it.

Now it's possible that this is because I have a non-retail key that I received by going to a Microsoft Expo, but I'm not sure.

1431 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo