Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1358 (Pro)
User ID 15046

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Newell on Piracy, Pricing, TF2 Comics, and More
27. Re: Newell on Piracy, TF2 Comics, and Mo Feb 19, 2009, 08:20 Ecthelion

eRe4s3r, couldn't agree with you more. Current pricing is totally off.
"Current" pricing? Here in the USA, game prices on the PC have remained static over the last decade at least. Actually, games are cheaper now at $50 than they were a decade ago at $50, because of inflation.

Expansion packs have gone up in price from $20 to $30 (for the most part), but that's pretty much in line with inflation increases.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2009, 08:22.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > X3: Terran Conflict 2.0 The Aldrin Missions
21. Re: X: Terran Conflict 2.0 The Aldrin Missions Feb 18, 2009, 13:13 Ecthelion

I was accustomed to games like Tie Fighter, Combat Flight Sim, Starlancer and Wing Commander and the X series felt completely wrong to me...
That's odd... I've played all those games and I didn't have any trouble adapting to the X series. Most of those games were a distant memory by the time X2 came out though (when I was first introduced to the X series); maybe that's the difference.

Buy my comment about obsessive space simmers was more in relation to Newtonian flight dynamics, which to my knowledge very few sims actually used. I've seen several people on here who can't enjoy most space sims because they are so accustomed to games like Independence War.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2009, 13:26.

18. Re: X: Terran Conflict 2.0 The Aldrin Missions Feb 18, 2009, 12:54 Ecthelion

Not being a licensed pilot nor flown an actual spacecraft, I wouldn't have the first clue as to what 'proper flight dynamics' would be in any case. I am glad to know I can rely on such a great group of fighter jockies here to let me know otherwise.
Yeah, I don't really understand that whole group that insists on certain flight dynamics. I guess it's one of those things that once you get accustomed to a certain method, anything else feels wrong. In that case, maybe it's a good thing that I missed out on games like IW2. I haven't been exposed to "proper flight dynamics", so I can enjoy the majority of space sims. It's rather annoying to see the same complaints come up every time a X3 thread pops up, but I'm getting used to it.

But I buy my games on Steam and it clearly lists it as having a 5 activation limit. It's unnecessary to add additional DRM on top of Steam
Yes, the Steam version has activations and maybe the retail version doesn't. For some strange reason, it was decided that Steam's DRM wasn't good enough, so the activation limit was used for the Steam release. I don't let DRM or activation limits stop me from enjoying games* (for TC I knew the DRM would be removed before I'd hit the activation limit anyway), but I know some people choose to boycott such games. Anyway, you shouldn't have to wait too much longer before the DRM is removed from X3:TC.

* Sometimes I wonder if I should start up a "Gamers Who Don't Give a Flying Fuck About Most DRM" website, just to see how many people share my opinion. I can't be the only person who actually spends more time playing games than bitching about DRM. That doesn't mean I like DRM (I don't), but I won't let a minor annoyance prevent me from playing a game I'm interested in.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2009, 13:17.

11. Re: X: Terran Conflict 2.0 The Aldrin Missions Feb 18, 2009, 11:48 Ecthelion

Until they remove the TAGES limited activations crap there's no way I'm touching it. Shame, though I always thought the feel was off with the series... nowhere near as decent as Starlancer.
I can't confirm it (threads discussing DRM don't last long on the X forums), but I think I heard that the retail release of X3:TC didn't have limited activations. That may be incorrect though.

In any case, Egosoft has released patches removing the copy protection from its last two games and they have stated their intentions of doing the same with Terran Conflict. I imagine we'll see the copy protection removed shortly after this retail release/patch.

News Comments > Orange Box & Saints Row 2 Patched
3. Re: Orange Box & Saints Row 2 Patched Feb 17, 2009, 23:17 Ecthelion

For SR2, they added 16:10 support too, not just 16:9 (you would think that in 2009 people would stop making the mistake that "widescreen" and "16:9" are equivalent terms). It's nice to not have to use a third-party hack for widescreen now.  

News Comments > Microsoft Stores
14. Re: Microsoft Stores Feb 13, 2009, 14:12 Ecthelion

Here's something Microsoft innovated: the mouse scroll wheel. The Intellimouse line included the first mainstream mouse to feature a scroll wheel, as well as the first to feature a tilting wheel (for scrolling left and right). Scroll wheels weren't invented by MS, but they were the first ones to fully implement it in a useful manner (e.g. building full support into Windows).

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2009, 14:13.

News Comments > Dawn Of War II Patch Plans
4. Re: Dawn Of War II Patch Plans Feb 13, 2009, 13:18 Ecthelion

People can piss and moan about Steamworks all they want, but now I can get FEAR 2, DoW II, and Empire Total War at retail in a few months for $30/ea (maybe less if I'm really patient) and then enter a CD key on Steam. Easy.
That's what I did with Saint's Row 2 (which is really fun, by the way, if you can tolerate the performance issues). There's a hack for widescreen support (what is it with lazy developers these days?), which I'm sure FEAR 2 will get... if not proper official support down the road.

News Comments > Microsoft Stores
11. Re: Microsoft Stores Feb 13, 2009, 12:46 Ecthelion

How many purely non-derivative (<--this is the key part) innovations by Microsoft can you name?
To be fair (I know it's cool to bash big bad evil MS, but bear with me), several of the source products you mention are derivative products themselves. For example, MacOSX came from Unix/Linux, and Sun Javascript had many influences.

How many purely non-derivative innovations by any company can you name? The tech industry is all about derivation - it's certainly true of programming languages, all of which are heavily influenced by preceding languages.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2009, 12:47.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
53. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 11, 2009, 14:22 Ecthelion

hiya, I know exactly what you mean. I still think there's a length that's too short, but there's definitely a length that's too long, at least for us aging gamers (and I don't mean "elderly" - I'm 28). In my opinion, Far Cry is a prime example of a game that turned into "slogging through the same crap over and over." Every year it seems like my gaming time decreases, so I don't have the patience to endure 30 hours of tediousness to enjoy 10 hours of joy.

I don't think good game length can be derived via a formula or by pulling a number out of a hat, and of course it's subjective. Most people view older games through colored glasses - a lot of those games were extremely repetitive. I'd rather have a shorter length if it meant the gameplay would never be dull.

News Comments > New AvP; Colonial Marines Delay
12. Re: New AvP; Colonial Marines Delay Feb 11, 2009, 13:55 Ecthelion

I guess I was the only one who liked AvP2. I played the original also, but I don't really remember any parts of the game, unlike AvP2.

Regardless, what worries me is Rebellion's sketchy track record since AvP (say what you will about AvP2 - at least Monolith has produced a decent number of great games). Furthermore, it wouldn't surprise me if very few people were left from those days. As is getting increasingly common, I'm taking a wait and see approach with this one.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
20. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 10, 2009, 16:26 Ecthelion

@eRe4s3r

Shit on LCD's much? Funny considering the most used type of display that uses 1280 x 1024 are LCD's. Usually POS ones at that.
I wondered about that. I've only ever seen 1280x1024 on LCDs, and they were the early ones that predated the ubiquitous widescreens that everyone has now. I highly doubt it's the most common resolution as claimed here. It's the most common according to the Steam survey (at 24%, quite a bit lower than the claim of 60%), but I wonder how many of those people actually have 5:4 LCDs and how many are just using that resolution because it's the max supported in a lot of older games.

That is, if you can see the cover from all the flickering lights, which im sure lcd owners with their crappy 60hz refresh will love.

I was under the impression that LCD's do not have refresh rates in the same sense as CRT's.
You're right. I've never noticed flickering on my LCD at 60Hz, while I definitely noticed flickering on my CRT (which was a fairly decent one, btw) at 60Hz.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2009, 16:29.

News Comments > New GoldenEye: Source Beta
5. Re: New GoldenEye: Source Beta Feb 9, 2009, 12:51 Ecthelion

Goldeneye didn't have an AI, it was just enemies standing there firing and once in a while diving left or right.
Maybe so, but even creating basic enemies like that is more work than a multiplayer mod involves.

News Comments > Dead Rising 2 PC
2. Re: Dead Rising 2 PC Feb 9, 2009, 12:29 Ecthelion

wtf? Yeah...let's just skip over Dead Rising 1 for PC and go straight to Dead Rising 2. o_O
They did that with Saints Row (and probably others), so it's been done before.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2009, 10:23 Ecthelion

I like how the "Overrated Video Game Franchises" article criticizes Half Life for being repetitive, and the Top 100 games list on that site is full of NES and SNES games (90% of which are insanely repetitive).  

News Comments > New GoldenEye: Source Beta
3. Re: New GoldenEye: Source Beta Feb 9, 2009, 10:01 Ecthelion

It looks like multiplayer only, like the vast majority of mods unfortunately (which is why I avoid them). Let's face it, it's a lot harder to port/rewrite the missions, AI, and scripting from a singleplayer game than it is to create a multiplayer mod.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2009, 10:03.

News Comments > Empire: Total War Q&A
5. Re: Empire: Total War Q&A Feb 4, 2009, 15:08 Ecthelion

And the requirement that you must run Steam each and every time you wish to play.
A lot of us who use Steam just leave it running. It's not like you have to launch it separately every time you want to play. But I suppose you're paranoid (like the typical anti-Steam person), and don't leave your gaming computer connected to the internet, right?

Even if you buy it retail and never have touched Steam in your life.
The same is true of Saints Row 2 and Empire: Total War, and I'm sure the number of retail games that require Steam will continue to increase.

Not with wishy-washy half-men like you unable to think for yourself or follow a thought through to its logical end. You'll do what you're told RP and if you don't like it you'll go suck your thumb in the corner just like Stewie, but no where near as witty. How do I know this much about you? Your own words.
Oh how I wish I was a real man like you. Keep opposing the evil establishment and maybe someday they'll change everything to suit your wants.

After all, large-scale boycotting can only lead to a happy ending, right? There's no chance at all of the hardcore PC market simply being abandoned if sales aren't met, is there?

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2009, 15:22.

News Comments > DirectX 11 Preview
85. Re: DirectX 11 Preview Feb 2, 2009, 06:55 Ecthelion

It's all about the goodness of the uninstall dialogue. I love XP, but uninstalling programs is just a chore. Under Vista, it's actually somewhat enjoyable.
What's a bigger improvement for me is Windows Update. It's about damn time they integrated into the Control Panel instead of requiring me to go to a website.

I have tried dozens of old games in Vista, and all of them worked beautifully. Even crappy Windows 3.1 Quicktime stuff.

I don't understand the complaint against people saying "it works for me because...", because most of the complaints against Vista here are "it doesn't work for me because..." Feature lists and selling points are all well and good, but personal experience is what turns someone on or off to an OS. My personal experience has been great, so I am glad I upgraded. On the other hand, I don't expect someone to upgrade to Vista if they tried it and hated it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: COOP Gamepad based games on PC Jan 30, 2009, 14:32 Ecthelion

Basically I'm trying to think of some 2-player games that can be played on the PC using the 360 gamepads (have 2). My girlfriend loved Little Big Planet...she won't play shooters (so L4D is out).

Just looking for some suggestions...
I know Kane and Lynch has that option, although I've never played coop in it (so I don't know how good it is). I guess it's a shooter though.

The Telltale LEGO games (Star Wars, Batman, etc.) support coop on the PC, although I don't know if they support dual 360 gamepads. The newer ones support the 360 gamepad, but I'm not sure about supporting two of them.

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 2009, 14:35.

News Comments > Deus Ex 3 Details
9. Re: Deus Ex 3 Details Jan 30, 2009, 10:40 Ecthelion

Somehow I missed the news that this would be a prequel. I normally dislike prequels, but I think DE3 would work better as a prequel than as a sequel. The ending for DE1 was so good that DE2 had big problems following the story (I think the story - especially the ending - in DE2 was one of its weakest aspects). This could be good if everything lines up just right. I don't see anything here to make me nervous yet. It's good to see mention of previous actions affecting the game.  

News Comments > UT3 "Titan Pack" Plans
46. Re: UT3 Jan 28, 2009, 18:57 Ecthelion

Well, unfortunately Add/Remove Programs only lists games downloaded since my current install (not that I would even use that method to uninstall games). However, Steam auto-detects whether a game has been run before as the DirectX / Visual Basic / Gamespy Comrade / GfWL installers popup on first run after a format, though you can simply click cancel and skip them (helpful when most games ask you to install DirectX). I don't know how it works, just that it does.
I guess that would have been too much to hope for. I wonder if verifying the integrity of the game cache for those games would "reinstall" them. I know that function has fixed registry entries for me before.

1358 Comments. 68 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo