Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1414 (Pro)
User ID 15046

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Raven: Wolfenstein "Not a WWII Game"
6. Re: Raven: Wolfenstein Apr 6, 2009, 16:19 Ecthelion

i think the last game of their's i enjoyed was soldier of fortune in 2000, when you could still do that.
I think the pinnacle of their games is Jedi Outcast. It probably has "bad" level design according to the armchair critics, but the game's so fun I don't care.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Raven: Wolfenstein "Not a WWII Game"
4. Re: Raven: Wolfenstein Apr 6, 2009, 15:26 Ecthelion

They are probably counting on attracting nostalgic fans of the prior games in the series more than gamers looking for cutting-edge graphics or excellent storytelling.

I've enjoyed most of Raven's games, so I'm moderately hopeful about this one. Hopefully we'll get a prerelease demo so I can find out if it's worth buying. Either way I probably wouldn't spend $50 on it, but that's sadly true of most games these days.

News Comments > X3: Terran Conflict EU Patch
11. Re: X3: Terran Conflict EU Patch Apr 5, 2009, 19:42 Ecthelion

Oh well, speaking of maxing out, i enjoyed x≥ really a lot until i got my first Frigate, the game interface just doesn't feel right for managing a battle-ship, the weapons you have somehow don't fit.. no flak batteries BSG style, no dedicated CIWS (anti-missile/Fighter) , no long range missiles /nukes, and my most serious nagging bit, no location based damage on enemy ships and no good boarding/cloaking tech (first person boarding would be so kickass..)
Have you tried the flak cannons that are in X3:R and TC? I'm not sure how close they are to BSG style, but they definitely do the job against fighters and even corvettes. There are also a lot of long range missiles, but I haven't tried them much myself.

8. Re: X3: Terran Conflict EU Patch Apr 5, 2009, 18:53 Ecthelion

Nah you are not the only one But... every time i play X≥ i wish they'd have done things differently, you know.. maybe a more "sim" like approach to commanding a big space ship or maybe more like freelancer... And while the UI in TC improved a lot.. its still really... bad.
I have to agree about the UI, although I don't know of any space sim that lets you command such a vast empire of ships and stations with a better UI. Actually, are there any games that let you command as many ships and stations as the X games? I've learned to make do with the UI, but improvements would definitely be welcome for future games from Egosoft (and I hope they keep making space games).

Damn i wish freelancer would get a sequel.
You know what would be really great? A combination of the two games. Freelancer had an interesting storyline, and the combat was decent, but once you finished the story the game got very old very fast. The X series definitely beats it in the "things to do" category. A static economy isn't very interesting, especially since you can only have one ship so you can "max out" relatively fast with no real incentive for further trading and exploration. If Egosoft took some of Freelancer's ease of use and applied it to their games, we'd have the pinnacle of space gaming.

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 2009, 18:54.

6. Re: X3: Terran Conflict EU Patch Apr 5, 2009, 16:04 Ecthelion

Hmm... besides Creston, I think I'm the only fan of the X series on Blue's News.

Personally I have had a great time with all of them except the original and its expansion (neither of which I played). I have found them to be very entertaining, but I don't expect Newtonian physics or anything like that. In any case I've definitely gotten my money's worth from them.

News Comments > Weekend Sales
18. Re: Weekend Sales Apr 3, 2009, 14:19 Ecthelion

Same with the level design - most of it is very intuitive but others can leave you wandering about lost. I found myself using the Steam overlay to access a guide for a few parts; the overlay is brilliant because you can even watch YouTube videos.
The main difficulty I had was in the massive level with the huge pillar in the middle and several big rooms adjacent to it that each held a key needed to progress (looking at a walkthrough, I think it was Egypt - Obelisk of Khamoon
). That must have been one of the biggest indoor levels of all time. I got lost a few times in that one.

I like the Steam overlay too, but I wish it wouldn't redirect input from games like X3:TC. Time compression in that game gets interrupted when you hit any key, which includes bringing up the overlay. In any case, it's probably nothing Steam can change, but rather it's a fault with the game itself.

This comment was edited on Apr 3, 2009, 14:39.

15. Re: Weekend Sales Apr 3, 2009, 13:46 Ecthelion

What sort of save system does TR:A PC use?
Checkpoint.
If checkpoint, are they annoyingly far apart?
In the big levels I mentioned, that's a very big "yes." On most of the levels though, I didn't find the spacing too bad.

This comment was edited on Apr 3, 2009, 14:01.

11. Re: Weekend Sales Apr 3, 2009, 13:26 Ecthelion

I've been wanting to pick up a new TR, which one is better though? This one, or Underworld? Or even Legend?

Anyone who has played them all know?

Creston
I haven't played Underworld, but I liked both Legend and Anniversary.

Anniversary was more polished and performed better, but I liked some of the levels in Legend more.

Depending on your tastes, you may find some of the Anniversary levels extremely frustrating as well. Some of them are very, very big and it takes forever to get through them.

News Comments > Ghostbusters PC vs. Console Graphics
6. Re: Ghostbusters PC vs. Console Graphics Apr 1, 2009, 15:27 Ecthelion

Basically this article can be summed up as follows : modern PC videocards more powerful than two/three year old cards in current gen consoles.

Wow, really?
Hey, at least they're admitting it, unlike most other multiplatform developers. I'm thinking especially of LucasArts, with their bullshit claims about how Force Unleashed wouldn't run on most gaming PCs.

This comment was edited on Apr 1, 2009, 15:27.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2009, 08:28 Ecthelion

I think every holiday should be called Fool's Day. Most of the time they celebrate some pretty strange almost "foolish" happenings, like people rising from the dead, giant rabbits who for some reason like to hide eggs in bushes or a fat old dude who for some reason likes to give presents to little children and happens to live on the north pole....;)
Don't forget dressing in green, pretending to be Irish, and drinking to within an inch of your life. That's the biggest Fool's Day of them all.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Mar 31, 2009, 08:55 Ecthelion

Where did Games32 get the idea that Uprising was free?  

News Comments > Warren Spector on Game Prices
65. Re: Warren Spector on Game Prices Mar 31, 2009, 06:53 Ecthelion

Move to the metro Creston... problem solved.
I'm curious, what metro area do you call home? Do I need to move to that particular one to live in the fantasy world you've created? Most of us gamers actually need jobs to afford the games we enjoy playing, and they often determine where we live. In addition, many of us have families, and that is a factor in where we live as well. Let me guess, your solution for regional availability of digital downloads (e.g. certain games not being available internationally) is for those people to immigrate to the US. Who cares about the difficulty in obtaining a work permit and a job; they're gamers, so it's irrelevant. Problem solved.

Seriously, are you really this obtuse, or is it intentional? Are your feelings hurt because some of us actually managed to read the fine print in the studies you posted, and discovered that they weren't useful for determining whether a 1.5GB download is a problem?

38. Re: Warren Spector on Game Prices Mar 30, 2009, 14:47 Ecthelion

Because they're not gamers. If you're a gamer chances are you have broadband. The details of speed aren't relevant.
What about gamers that live in the boondocks? Why should people have to move to certain areas with high availability of genuine broadband just to enjoy gaming? Your location shouldn't dictate whether you can be a gamer.

How are the details of speed irrelevant when we're talking about specific download sizes (e.g. 1.5GB)?

Another thing those reports don't seem to deal with is quality of service. I've had issues with my cable internet service, but I can't switch because there are no feasible alternatives (I checked into DSL, and the speed they offered was terrible). Due to job situations, it's not feasible for me to move, either.

I honestly don't understand how anyone that has had even infrequent dealings with the telecommunications industry in the US thinks things are okay the way they are.

On the subject of game prices, I think the current system works. People that are willing to pay $50-60 do so, and those of us who want a better price wait for price drops. It's no different from any other entertainment product; I can't remember the last time I bought a DVD at the full price of $20+, for example. Of course there's room for improvement; cheaper games across the board would most likely improve sales, provided publishers didn't let their greed make them cut more corners than they already do.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2009, 14:54.

32. Re: Warren Spector on Game Prices Mar 30, 2009, 13:54 Ecthelion

According to Pew Internet Research in 2007 47% of adults have high-speed internet connections at home. In 2008 55% of all adult Americans now have a high-speed internet connection at home. Given that there's sites like Steam, Direct2Drive, FilePlanet, and others selling full games, and thriving, I imagine the percentage of broadband users is much higher among gamers; probably in the area of 70%. Needless to say a 1.5 GB demo isn't a problem...
Don't forget that the definition of "high-speed internet" is very loose. According to the report for 2008, the FCC defines broadband as anything 768Kbps and up, which is pretty slow (and that's the theoretical max - real-world speeds are usually slower). I used to order internet service for remote locations, and ISPs would consider bottom-of-the-barrel DSL "high speed", when it was actually only a little faster than dial-up. Those terrible connections are all that is available in many rural areas, unless you want to go with high-latency satellite or data-capped wireless. It's not just rural areas either. There are even gaps in coverage of decent broadband in the commuter areas around D.C. for crying out loud.

If you looked at cable or FIOS-level speeds in those adoption numbers, the percentage would be much, much lower. Yeah, 1.5GB demos aren't a problem for a lot of gamers, but there are quite a few people in America that don't have access to genuine broadband.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2009, 14:05.

News Comments > Action Games & Night Vision
2. Re: Action Games & Night Vision Mar 29, 2009, 17:17 Ecthelion

I've always had pretty good "night vision", and I've been playing games since I was 6 or so. I knew all that gaming was good for me.  

News Comments > Red Alert 3 Patch, Movie
1. Re: Red Alert 3 Patch, Movie Mar 29, 2009, 17:14 Ecthelion

What's with the knock against Malcolm McDowell? He did a fine job as Tolwyn. They'd probably still be making WC games if the space sim genre hadn't died back in the beginning of this decade.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2009, 21:42 Ecthelion

Two lines of service plus 700 rollover: $80.00 (current use)
Two iPhones data plan: $60.00
Texting unlimited for plan: $30.00
Isn't it a great scam how they consider text messaging separate from "data"?

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Announced
28. Re: Max Payne 3 Announced Mar 23, 2009, 14:52 Ecthelion

And Tie Fighter... don't forget Tie Fighter.
Nobody's forgotten it, but unless the all-but-dead space sim genre makes a sudden resurgence, we aren't going to see a new X-Wing or TIE Fighter game. Even if we do, it'll probably be a watered down Xbox Live game.

A new Jedi Knight game is much more likely, but unless LucasArts decides to start supporting the PC again, we won't see it on the PC where it belongs.

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Announced
19. Re: Max Payne 3 Announced Mar 23, 2009, 12:43 Ecthelion

Please don't suck (both the game itself and the PC version). The first two are easily my favorite 3rd-person action games. I think they still hold up too - the only games that I've replayed more are Half Life 2 and Jedi Outcast.  

News Comments > Gold - Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
14. Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 14:40 Ecthelion

Speaking of Steam, in the age of digital distribution I think demos should always be modular components of the full game. In other words, you wouldn't download all of the full game's assets, you would just get the ones the demo needed. But you would have part of the full game, so if you chose to buy the game, you would only need to download the extra assets and maybe a new executable. The demo could even incorporate integrated unlocking functionality. Why don't more games do this? Especially since these days demos are often nearly as big as the full version anyway. An added benefit of this would be removing the need to uninstall the demo and clean out registry entries and the like.

As for this game, it sounds interesting. I'll definitely download the demo when it comes out.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2009, 14:41.

1414 Comments. 71 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo