Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1453 (Pro)
User ID 15046
User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 15, 2009, 14:39 Ecthelion
The reason I'm not interested in Blu-Ray is that I don't have a HDTV. I have a regular old CRT TV, which suits me fine. Would I mind having a giant HDTV? Of course not, but I don't feel like buying one is a good use of my money. I can't justify spending $30 for a movie either... I try to buy movies for $10 or less.

As for the Special Features argument, it is incorrect that Blu-Ray always has better Special Features than DVD. Sometimes they don't even have the existing DVD Features. I have read reviews of several movies where some of the DVD Special Features were dropped from the Blu-Ray release. Just look at the recent Star Trek movies collection. Yes, some cool new features were added for Blu-Ray, but why the hell are we getting the theatrical versions of the movies? Just so they can release a "Special Edition" collection in a year or two that includes the Director's Cut of the Motion Picture and the extra footage from ST6? I've also read several reports of bad transfers. If I'm going to pay extra for Blu-Ray, I better be getting a top-notch presentation.

Anyway, for my movie and TV-viewing, regular DVD suits me just fine. I'll upgrade if and when they stop making DVDs of the movies and series I want to own.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale May 15, 2009, 08:14 Ecthelion
Best Buy has Empire Total War for $30.  
News Comments > Creative Rebate and Switch
19. Re: Creative Rebate and Switch May 14, 2009, 14:37 Ecthelion
Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only gamer on the planet who has never had a problem with Creative sound cards. I have honestly never had a single issue with them (same as with ATI video cards).

Maybe I'm just lucky... I remember I gave one of my cards to my brother after upgrading my system, and he had problems with it from day one (even though it worked flawlessly for me). I've had a SB16, Live!, Audigy, Audigy 2, Audigy 2 ZS, and X-Fi. In between I've had periods of a few months where I used onboard sound, but most of the time I've used Creative hardware. I wonder what I'm doing right (or wrong) to make them work perfectly?
News Comments > Creative Rebate and Switch
10. Re: Creative Rebate and Switch May 14, 2009, 13:24 Ecthelion
So far, the only company I've encountered that does rebates right is Staples. They do all of their rebates online, and they work perfectly. They are easy to claim, and I have received 100% of the rebates I've submitted through them.

It's a shame other companies haven't followed their example and implemented similar systems, but that's greed for you. It's easier to maintain the status quo and count on most people being too lazy to submit the mail-in rebates on time.
News Comments > On Hitman 5
2. Re: On Hitman 5 May 12, 2009, 08:46 Ecthelion
Yeah, that was the great thing about Blood Money. For the most part, you could play it however you wanted. If you wanted to go and shoot everyone, you could. The previous games forced a certain amount of stealthiness, which is still the ideal way to do things in Blood Money. But you aren't prevented from playing Rambo style if you want.

I can't wait for the next one, and I hope they continue to improve the gameplay by adding new ways of killing your targets (e.g. I loved the addition of accidents in Blood Money).
News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2009, 15:15 Ecthelion
I'm still puzzled why people are falling over themselves raving about the film, I know it's been seven years since the last motion picture go around and sci-fi movies have been shoved to the side to make way for all the superhero flicks but it just didn't do much for me, I guess you need to be a hardcore Star Trek fan.
Actually, the movie is trying to appeal to non-fans. Most of the rave reviews that I've seen have been from casual fans or non-fans.

Count me as a hardcore fan who has no interest in the movie at all. I'm not paying money to see it in theaters... the trailers did nothing to convince me that the movie was actually Star Trek instead of wannabe Star Wars (I love Star Wars too, but the franchises are very different and rightly so). So far I don't think I like the new direction the franchise is headed in. The movie could always blow me away, but I'm not taking the chance that it won't. I'll check it out on DVD.
News Comments > Steam Global Gameplay Stats
4. Re: Steam Global Gameplay Stats<br> May 8, 2009, 08:31 Ecthelion
My rarest is Get Some Grub in Episode Two, with a 1.0% completion rate.
That one and Neighborhood Watch still elude me. I have all the rest, and I've only replayed Ep2 twice, so maybe I'll get those last two eventually...
News Comments > Windows 7 RC
46. Re: Windows 7 RC May 7, 2009, 15:54 Ecthelion
Anyone here have experience running current and older games on the 64bit versions of either Vista or Win7?
I'm on build 7057 (the beta is 7100), and I'm using the 64-bit version.

I've played X3 Terran Conflict, Red Alert 3, GTA4, Crysis, and Hitman Blood Money so far, and they all work fine. I haven't tried older games, because the current ATI drivers don't have fixed aspect ratio scaling working for Windows 7 yet. That feature is very important for anyone using a widescreen monitor with games that don't support widescreen resolutions, because it keeps the image from being stretched. Hopefully that featured will be working in the next version and I can start testing older games. For now, I have to play them in Vista 32-bit (I don't have a 64-bit key for Vista, so the Win7 beta is my first real exposure to 64-bit Windows outside of work).

This comment was edited on May 7, 2009, 15:54.
News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Velvet Assassin
12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Velvet Assassin Apr 30, 2009, 14:25 Ecthelion
I remember back when the original Ghost Recon (the PC one, not Advanced Warfighter) came out, I thought it was a lot easier than the Rainbow Six games (1-3) because it had a quicksave (although it was only one slot, IIRC). Now that I'm older, I can't cut it in games like the old Rainbow Six ones anymore. I can deal with checkpoints, but entire levels with no saves are too frustrating for me these days.

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 2009, 14:26.
News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Mysteries of Westgate
18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mysteries of Westgate Apr 30, 2009, 13:53 Ecthelion
Creston, I see what you're talking about now. NWN2 doesn't want to work in Win7 because of a check that DX11 does (it's probably not the only game either, but plenty of DX9 games work fine). There is a file that you can replace which gets it working again. Check out the tech support forums for NWN2 to find out how.  
15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mysteries of Westgate Apr 29, 2009, 17:22 Ecthelion
Creston -
It stopped working under XP or Vista (whichever one you had) after you installed Win7? If so, that's beyond strange.
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mysteries of Westgate Apr 29, 2009, 15:07 Ecthelion
I never really got into the NWN series, the camera controls just felt awkward. Are there any mods out to improve that? It's been sitting on my shelf for ages. I really wanted it to be the next Icewind Dale but it ran so sluggishly for a game that didn't really look all that great.
It's been a long time since I played the NWN1 series, so I don't remember the camera much. The camera didn't bother me much in NWN2... I guess I'm a sucker for D&D games. The first expansion (Mask of the Betrayer) and patches have tweaked the camera a bit, but it's not enough for some people. I don't know of any camera mods, but it may be worth checking out IGN's NWVault.

I really enjoyed the story in NWN2 and especially MotB, and I'm looking forward to this. I went ahead and bought it, because even though I dislike the DRM I want to support Ossian. I really liked their module for NWN, and this one should be even better. It's a shame that Atari is being so draconian with the DRM. It would be nice if they listened to the outcry and opened it up a little (at least by providing a revoke tool), but I'm not counting on it. I decided when I first heard about MoW that I was going to get it, DRM be damned. I understand that not everyone is as carefree about DRM as I am though, and I hope Atari makes it possible for them to enjoy MoW too.

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2009, 15:07.
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mysteries of Westgate Apr 29, 2009, 14:14 Ecthelion
Read page 8, "son", Rob McGinnis works for Obsidian.
Obsidian didn't make MoW though, that was Ossian. Rob was just following the rules of the NWN2 forums. The mods there (regardless of whether they are with Obsidian, Ossian, Atari, or volunteers) take a dim view of DRM discussion. I've seen quite a few DRM-related threads spring up there (even ones referring to Steam as DRM), and they all tend to end up discussing piracy, which is generally considered a forbidden subject on official game websites.
News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Windows 7's Virtual XP Mode... Apr 29, 2009, 09:13 Ecthelion
Their business customers are the ones they need to worry about. The business market - not the gaming market - is what killed Vista adoption.

Why should they bother with Direct3D support when the vast majority of games work just fine under Vista and Windows 7? I know it's popular to hate Microsoft, but if they really didn't care at all about PC gamers, they wouldn't bother continuing DirectX development - they'd make it Xbox-only. They do care about us, even if it's just a very minuscule amount.
News Comments > Mafia 2 Interview
2. Re: Mafia 2 Interview Apr 29, 2009, 08:37 Ecthelion
I don't mind more/better gunplay, as long as the story is just as good.

It sounds like there will be ways to avoid big shoot outs much of the time, so that should keep things interesting for those not wanting a straight shooter.
News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Apr 27, 2009, 14:09 Ecthelion
Why cant they give us something usefull, like a Win95 emulator? Do you know how many QUALITY games I have that came out during the end-of-dos days, that work ONLY on Win95?? And forget compatibility mode....
Have you tried them in Vista? I have tried several early Win95 games that work perfectly in Vista, including Quicktime-based games.
News Comments > Six Days in Fallujah Dropped
20. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 12:03 Ecthelion
What really annoys me though is that publishers cave in to 'public' opinion, regardless of how much of the supposed public actually complained. I don't care if John McVirtuous doesn't like shooting Iraqis in the face, he doesn't have the right to prevent someone creating something relating to that, or to prevent me from possessing it, regardless of how tasteless it may appear.
It was probably just a business decision. Publishers are only interested in this much controversy if the game is guaranteed to sell well, or if they think the controversy will actually improve sales. Since this isn't a Grand Theft Auto, when they started getting negative feedback they decided to cut their losses and move on.
News Comments > GameFly vs. USPS
7. Re: GameFly vs. USPS Apr 24, 2009, 15:38 Ecthelion
This is what happens when you let the government run things...
Perhaps. How do other countries do it? Do any of them have non-governmental postal services?
News Comments > PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans
36. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 24, 2009, 10:00 Ecthelion
Did they take liberties with the characters and storyline? Of course. It didn't make the game bad...just different from what you wanted.
I never said EF1 or EF2 were bad games... just that they weren't true to the Star Trek universe. The shooter fan in me enjoyed them, but the Trekkie in me wanted games that showed the spirit of Star Trek. The adventure games of the past did a better job of that.
News Comments > PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans
33. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 24, 2009, 07:29 Ecthelion

it's hard to track down anymore but if you can find a copy of it, elite force 2 is far superior. it was designed by ritual, who shifted it away from voyager onto enterprise. it had a more entertaining storyline presented with better aptitude, with less linearity and interesting puzzles.
I disagree. It may have been a better shooter, but it was even worse as a Star Trek game. Particular bad were the silly boss battles and nonsensical characters (a Ferengi who decided it was a good idea to fight an elite Starfleet security officer? Please). Elite Force was bad enough, with the silly idea that Starfleet would use a combat team on away missions. But at least it had the excuse that with the USS Voyager being stranded away from Starfleet, such a team would be slightly more believable. EF2 had no excuse since the team was moved to the USS Enterprise.

That's why A Final Unity (I never played 25th Anniversary) was a much better Star Trek game... it felt like you were playing through an episode. Most of the other Star Trek games felt like genre games that happened to take place in the Star Trek universe. Some of them got the atmosphere right, but not the characters and plot.
1453 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

Blue's News logo