Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1479 (Pro)
User ID 15046

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Argos Naval Yard
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Argos Naval Yard Jun 17, 2009, 19:47 Ecthelion

The game doesn't seem to have a real website anymore. Can't find a demo on the Paradox site either. Guess I'll hunt around the file hosting sites for one.
As I already posted, the official Wiki site has links to the demos (at least the two most recent ones).

http://sots.rorschach.net/Demo

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2009, 19:59.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Argos Naval Yard
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Argos Naval Yard Jun 17, 2009, 15:06 Ecthelion

I suggest going to the official site for the demo. There are multiple demos available. The newest one offers more to try out, but it limits the total turns you can play.

I bought the Ultimate Collection on sale (it was $7.99 on GamersGate and Impulse) last weekend, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I played the first demo a little, and it seemed pretty good.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Ghostbusters
44. Re: Ships Ahoy - Ghostbusters Jun 17, 2009, 13:16 Ecthelion

I guess one way around the non-C drive issue would be to buy the Steam version, assuming you have a big enough drive or partition to handle all your Steam installs.

That is pretty bad though. I have often encountered software that installs certain files to C no matter where I install it, but those programs will still install the bulk of the app to the folder I select. That doesn't normally apply to games either (unless they need .NET or something). But from what I've read about this game, this is much worse. I know that it's been a few years since Terminal Reality developed a game for the PC (even a port), but they should know better.

News Comments > NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate DRM Limit Ends
10. Re: NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate DRM Limit Ends Jun 16, 2009, 14:56 Ecthelion

What really makes no sense is why remove the limit but retain the activation. Ossian claims in its forum post that the activation is still "necessary to prevent serial numbers from being posted to the web where hundreds or thousands of people can access it." However, if the installation limit truely has been lifted, then there would be nothing preventing hundreds or thousands of activations using the same serial number. Therefore, the activation is pointless for preventing that unless the limit is actually still in place but has instead been set to a higher number like 100 which Ossian doesn't think most customers will reach.
The only way that prevent piracy now (assuming the activation limit is really removed) would be if the module "phoned home" each time it was run to make sure that the serial number hadn't been activated on another computer.

I don't think it's that quite intrusive though, and even if it were, it would make their concern (read: excuse for not removing the DRM altogether) moot.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2009, 14:57.

News Comments > New ATI Drivers
6. Re: New ATI Drivers Jun 15, 2009, 18:21 Ecthelion

With each new release, I keep hoping the control center will add Aspect Ratio GPU Scaling to Windows7, but I guess I'll have to wait until Windows7 RTM's.  

News Comments > Curse Episodes for Half-Life 2
5. Re: Curse Episodes for Half-Life 2 Jun 12, 2009, 14:29 Ecthelion

Ahh, once again we get this. I'll help though. They Hunger: Lost Souls is not a mod It is supposed to be a commercial release, not a freebie like the previous They Hunger mod. My guess, since it's been so quiet, is maybe Neil is working on a bundle with Episode 3? At least, that's what I am hoping it will be.
I missed that news somehow.

If it's a full game, wouldn't that make news updates even more important? If they're not going to update their website they should at least do interviews with gaming websites and magazines. How can they go 16 months without a peep? Who do they think they are, Valve?

I hope they can finally get it out there though. I'd definitely buy it, as long as it's not ridiculously overpriced (and even then I'd pick it up once it went on sale).

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2009, 14:29.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: 10 Things We Want Regarding HL2:Ep3 Jun 12, 2009, 11:26 Ecthelion

That was a decent list, although I don't care as much about Gordon and Alyx kissing. Games are still pretty awkward at love scenes.

I also don't care about seeing Adrian Sheppard. I may be the only HL fan who doesn't have a burning desire to have him show up again, and that's coming from someone who loved Opposing Force. If they can pull of an appearance that makes sense and doesn't seem like fan-service, I won't mind him popping up again. But don't bring him back just to have him there.

I'd love to get G-man demystified a bit for Episode 3 (although not completely, or he'd lose his intrigue), but I think Valve enjoys keeping everything mysterious.

News Comments > Curse Episodes for Half-Life 2
2. Re: Curse Episodes for Half-Life 2 Jun 12, 2009, 10:26 Ecthelion

There hasn't been an update on They Hunger Lost Souls for 16 months. I'm starting to suspect that it went into the "abandoned mods graveyard" (or at least the "limbo of suspended mods"). Even the team behind the Dark Forces for Jedi Academy (which seems to have been in development longer than almost any other mod) has done a better job of keeping the public updated on their progress.

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2009, 10:27.

News Comments > Diablo II Patch Status
7. Re: Diablo II Patch Status Jun 12, 2009, 09:07 Ecthelion

Wouldn't hacked high resolutions affect the game AI? It seems to me that you would be able to see enemies before they could see you in resolutions above 800x600.  

News Comments > X3: Terran Conflict Patch
2. Re: X3: Terran Conflict Patch Jun 10, 2009, 23:11 Ecthelion

The DRM's still there to my knowledge. I know the TAGES stuff is still there.

I'm not even sure if the game has Securom... I didn't think it did.

News Comments > Molyneux Promoted
149. Re: Molyneux Promoted Jun 10, 2009, 19:58 Ecthelion

GTA:SA sold even better than GTA3 on the PS2 - 17 million freaking copies.  

News Comments > 1C Games Sale
13. Re: 1C Games Sale Jun 10, 2009, 14:51 Ecthelion

The bit about the game on the account confused me. Does that mean after you download it you can do so as many times as you like from anywhere? Steam style downloading the game as much as you like, but GoG style autonomous working title once you have it? No activation BS on the installer?
I seem to recall there being activation, but I think it was determined by the publisher (so only some games would have it), and not specific to GamersGate.

News Comments > 1C Games Sale
10. Re: 1C Games Sale Jun 10, 2009, 14:24 Ecthelion

GamersGate isn't a games client, it's just a sales and download service. Once you have the game downloaded, you don't need GamersGate for anything. You can even burn the downloaded install files to a DVD if you want, so you never have to go to the site again.  

3. Re: Futurama Jun 10, 2009, 10:05 Ecthelion

My favorite animated show is coming back!

26 episodes seems a bit thin for 2 seasons, but maybe a slower production pace is needed to ensure consistent quality (which has not been the case with most of the more recent Simpsons seasons).

In any case, I'm happy to get more Futurama. Its first run was hilarious, and the DVD films were funny enough to warrant repeat viewings. Let's hope the writers haven't lost their magic - the voice actors are definitely up to the task.

I can't wait to see Zapp Brannigan back in action (although not the "action" he would prefer ).

Also, couldn't the author have come up with some better choices for his "Top 10 Ways to Provoke a Geek Argument" list? None of that stuff would bother me in the slightest... maybe I'm not a real geek? Or maybe it's just because I can poke fun of myself and geeks in general.
This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2009, 10:10.

News Comments > Molyneux Promoted
126. Re: Molyneux Promoted Jun 8, 2009, 14:59 Ecthelion

That's all well and good except selling a million units isn't considered impressive anymore. Tomb Raider: Underworld, Crysis, Dead Space and Mirror's Edge also sold over a million copies but nobody considers them to be really successful. Really successful = multimillion.
Guitar Hero 3 sold 2 million copies (incidentally, more than the Xbox360 and PS3 versions), which technically qualifies as "multimillion", but that's the only third-party Wii game to sell that well. But Nintendo doesn't really care about third-party games. Their core games for the Wii have sold insane numbers of copies, and they are enough to keep casual players occupied. The average non-gamer with a Wii is perfectly happy with Wii Sports and Wii Fit.

Nonsense. The N64 and PS2 proved very capable of handling shooters. However, PC remained the lead SKU for shooters until Halo came out.
What's interesting about that is that GoldenEye sold over 150% as many copies as Halo (8 million vs. 5 million). Obviously, Halo's success alone wasn't responsible for the FPS genre moving to consoles, because GoldenEye was much more successful.

Conjecture time:
It's likely that the hardware similarity of the Xbox to the PC, combined with Halo's success, convinced PC devs to make the move. Another factor could very well be Half Life - it came out a year after GoldenEye and sold so well that it made sure the FPS remained alive and well on the PC for a while longer. By the time Halo came out, the PC hadn't had any hugely successful FPS games in a while. Unfortunately, once a game is as successful as Half Life, publishers often expect that level of profitability to continue. I'm willing to bet that this factor attracted a lot of PC devs to the Xbox (and to a lesser extent, consoles in general).

While I agree that Microsoft has expedited the move of the FPS genre to consoles, it would have happened eventually anyway. Publishers must have noticed that no shooter since Half Life has sold even half as many copies (possibly excluding Half Life 2, but the sales for HL2 include the console versions and exclude Steam, so it's hard to know how well it sold on the PC), and considering the past success of GoldenEye as well as the huge user base of the existing consoles, they would have been interested in moving to consoles to see if they could do better there. It's possible that FPS games would have sold better on the PC without the Xbox existing, but I don't think it would have made much difference. The RTS genre, which has stayed primarily a PC platform, has not had a blockbuster since Starcraft that even came close to its sales. PC game sales appear to be down in general (piracy is an easy scapegoat, which provides further justification to abandon the PC). Those numbers are pretty important to "the suits". Getting back to the FPS genre - it may have taken some trial and error and a few flops before another hit console FPS arrived and was the catalyst for the move, but it was inevitable. The Xbox just made it easier, so it happened quickly.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2009, 15:08.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 8, 2009, 11:22 Ecthelion

I canceled my cable TV service recently. My wife will miss Animal Planet, but that was really the only thing either of us ever watched, and it wasn't worth paying the ridiculously high fees for one damn channel.

I really fucking hate the TV companies in the USA. I should be able to customize the channels I get, and pay a small per-channel fee or go into a tier system (e.g. 10 channels for a small fee, 20 channels for slightly more, etc.). If there are any companies that offer something like this, I haven't run into them. Of course, it's not in their interest to customize their service for those of us who watch very little TV, so they'll probably never do it.

1. Re: What Niko Bellic carries Jun 3, 2009, 10:19 Ecthelion

It would be interesting to see the same analysis applied to a standard FPS that lets you carry more weapons than GTA4. Gordon Freeman carries a good deal more, for instance (fewer grenades and rockets, but more weapons and ammunition).

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 2009, 10:22.

News Comments > Return(s) to Monkey Island
7. Re: Return(s) to Monkey Island Jun 1, 2009, 13:27 Ecthelion

The remake looks pretty cool. I'm cautiously hopeful.  

News Comments > Crysis 2 Announced
35. Re: Crysis 2 Announced Jun 1, 2009, 13:13 Ecthelion

I hated Far Cry, and thought Crysis was a lot better in terms of story pacing and combat. I didn't even mind fighting the aliens this time around. It wasn't a superb game, but it wasn't bad for $20.

I haven't played enough of Far Cry 2 to judge it yet. It's next on my list of shooters to play.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Jun 1, 2009, 07:38 Ecthelion

I signed the petition, although I really doubt it will do any good.  

1479 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo