Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1407 (Pro)
User ID 15046

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Weekend Sales
11. Re: Weekend Sales Apr 3, 2009, 13:26 Ecthelion

I've been wanting to pick up a new TR, which one is better though? This one, or Underworld? Or even Legend?

Anyone who has played them all know?

Creston
I haven't played Underworld, but I liked both Legend and Anniversary.

Anniversary was more polished and performed better, but I liked some of the levels in Legend more.

Depending on your tastes, you may find some of the Anniversary levels extremely frustrating as well. Some of them are very, very big and it takes forever to get through them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ghostbusters PC vs. Console Graphics
6. Re: Ghostbusters PC vs. Console Graphics Apr 1, 2009, 15:27 Ecthelion

Basically this article can be summed up as follows : modern PC videocards more powerful than two/three year old cards in current gen consoles.

Wow, really?
Hey, at least they're admitting it, unlike most other multiplatform developers. I'm thinking especially of LucasArts, with their bullshit claims about how Force Unleashed wouldn't run on most gaming PCs.

This comment was edited on Apr 1, 2009, 15:27.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2009, 08:28 Ecthelion

I think every holiday should be called Fool's Day. Most of the time they celebrate some pretty strange almost "foolish" happenings, like people rising from the dead, giant rabbits who for some reason like to hide eggs in bushes or a fat old dude who for some reason likes to give presents to little children and happens to live on the north pole....;)
Don't forget dressing in green, pretending to be Irish, and drinking to within an inch of your life. That's the biggest Fool's Day of them all.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Mar 31, 2009, 08:55 Ecthelion

Where did Games32 get the idea that Uprising was free?  

News Comments > Warren Spector on Game Prices
65. Re: Warren Spector on Game Prices Mar 31, 2009, 06:53 Ecthelion

Move to the metro Creston... problem solved.
I'm curious, what metro area do you call home? Do I need to move to that particular one to live in the fantasy world you've created? Most of us gamers actually need jobs to afford the games we enjoy playing, and they often determine where we live. In addition, many of us have families, and that is a factor in where we live as well. Let me guess, your solution for regional availability of digital downloads (e.g. certain games not being available internationally) is for those people to immigrate to the US. Who cares about the difficulty in obtaining a work permit and a job; they're gamers, so it's irrelevant. Problem solved.

Seriously, are you really this obtuse, or is it intentional? Are your feelings hurt because some of us actually managed to read the fine print in the studies you posted, and discovered that they weren't useful for determining whether a 1.5GB download is a problem?

38. Re: Warren Spector on Game Prices Mar 30, 2009, 14:47 Ecthelion

Because they're not gamers. If you're a gamer chances are you have broadband. The details of speed aren't relevant.
What about gamers that live in the boondocks? Why should people have to move to certain areas with high availability of genuine broadband just to enjoy gaming? Your location shouldn't dictate whether you can be a gamer.

How are the details of speed irrelevant when we're talking about specific download sizes (e.g. 1.5GB)?

Another thing those reports don't seem to deal with is quality of service. I've had issues with my cable internet service, but I can't switch because there are no feasible alternatives (I checked into DSL, and the speed they offered was terrible). Due to job situations, it's not feasible for me to move, either.

I honestly don't understand how anyone that has had even infrequent dealings with the telecommunications industry in the US thinks things are okay the way they are.

On the subject of game prices, I think the current system works. People that are willing to pay $50-60 do so, and those of us who want a better price wait for price drops. It's no different from any other entertainment product; I can't remember the last time I bought a DVD at the full price of $20+, for example. Of course there's room for improvement; cheaper games across the board would most likely improve sales, provided publishers didn't let their greed make them cut more corners than they already do.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2009, 14:54.

32. Re: Warren Spector on Game Prices Mar 30, 2009, 13:54 Ecthelion

According to Pew Internet Research in 2007 47% of adults have high-speed internet connections at home. In 2008 55% of all adult Americans now have a high-speed internet connection at home. Given that there's sites like Steam, Direct2Drive, FilePlanet, and others selling full games, and thriving, I imagine the percentage of broadband users is much higher among gamers; probably in the area of 70%. Needless to say a 1.5 GB demo isn't a problem...
Don't forget that the definition of "high-speed internet" is very loose. According to the report for 2008, the FCC defines broadband as anything 768Kbps and up, which is pretty slow (and that's the theoretical max - real-world speeds are usually slower). I used to order internet service for remote locations, and ISPs would consider bottom-of-the-barrel DSL "high speed", when it was actually only a little faster than dial-up. Those terrible connections are all that is available in many rural areas, unless you want to go with high-latency satellite or data-capped wireless. It's not just rural areas either. There are even gaps in coverage of decent broadband in the commuter areas around D.C. for crying out loud.

If you looked at cable or FIOS-level speeds in those adoption numbers, the percentage would be much, much lower. Yeah, 1.5GB demos aren't a problem for a lot of gamers, but there are quite a few people in America that don't have access to genuine broadband.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2009, 14:05.

News Comments > Action Games & Night Vision
2. Re: Action Games & Night Vision Mar 29, 2009, 17:17 Ecthelion

I've always had pretty good "night vision", and I've been playing games since I was 6 or so. I knew all that gaming was good for me.  

News Comments > Red Alert 3 Patch, Movie
1. Re: Red Alert 3 Patch, Movie Mar 29, 2009, 17:14 Ecthelion

What's with the knock against Malcolm McDowell? He did a fine job as Tolwyn. They'd probably still be making WC games if the space sim genre hadn't died back in the beginning of this decade.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2009, 21:42 Ecthelion

Two lines of service plus 700 rollover: $80.00 (current use)
Two iPhones data plan: $60.00
Texting unlimited for plan: $30.00
Isn't it a great scam how they consider text messaging separate from "data"?

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Announced
28. Re: Max Payne 3 Announced Mar 23, 2009, 14:52 Ecthelion

And Tie Fighter... don't forget Tie Fighter.
Nobody's forgotten it, but unless the all-but-dead space sim genre makes a sudden resurgence, we aren't going to see a new X-Wing or TIE Fighter game. Even if we do, it'll probably be a watered down Xbox Live game.

A new Jedi Knight game is much more likely, but unless LucasArts decides to start supporting the PC again, we won't see it on the PC where it belongs.

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Announced
19. Re: Max Payne 3 Announced Mar 23, 2009, 12:43 Ecthelion

Please don't suck (both the game itself and the PC version). The first two are easily my favorite 3rd-person action games. I think they still hold up too - the only games that I've replayed more are Half Life 2 and Jedi Outcast.  

News Comments > Gold - Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
14. Re: Assault on Dark Athena Gold Mar 20, 2009, 14:40 Ecthelion

Speaking of Steam, in the age of digital distribution I think demos should always be modular components of the full game. In other words, you wouldn't download all of the full game's assets, you would just get the ones the demo needed. But you would have part of the full game, so if you chose to buy the game, you would only need to download the extra assets and maybe a new executable. The demo could even incorporate integrated unlocking functionality. Why don't more games do this? Especially since these days demos are often nearly as big as the full version anyway. An added benefit of this would be removing the need to uninstall the demo and clean out registry entries and the like.

As for this game, it sounds interesting. I'll definitely download the demo when it comes out.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2009, 14:41.

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Men of War on GameZone. Mar 20, 2009, 07:42 Ecthelion

I give his review a 5 out of 10 especially since his TWO screen shots are not expandable.
That is one of my pet peeves with reviews. Why is it that in 2009 a lot of reviewers are still using tiny screenshots? I shouldn't have to go to the official game website to find full-size screenshots (and even the official sites sometimes have small screenshots).

News Comments > New ATI Drivers
4. Re: New ATI Drivers Mar 18, 2009, 15:49 Ecthelion

The gaming performance in Win7 7057 64bit is much better now (since updating from build 7000 and ATi 9.1 drivers) and seems on par with Vista64, at least for the games I've tried. Overall it's shaping up to be a very decent OS.
Out of curiosity, have you had any trouble running older games on Vista64 (I mean crappily-coded stuff, like Quicktime-based games)? I have tried dozens of older games on Vista 32, and all of them have worked fine. I'm curious if there's any water to the incompatibility complaints I hear about Vista... for example, is it possible Vista64 is less compatible with older software? Because from where I'm sitting, Vista32 is even more compatible than XP. If Vista64 runs older stuff just as well, those complaints are mostly garbage (which is what I suspect).

News Comments > New ATI Drivers
2. Re: New ATI Drivers Mar 18, 2009, 15:44 Ecthelion

I was hoping those benchmarks would have compared these to the last version, but they seem to only compare Vista vs. Windows 7.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2009, 15:45.

News Comments > Crysis Maximum Edition
46. Re: Crysis Maximum Edition Mar 18, 2009, 10:28 Ecthelion

Well I'm not silly enough to buy ATI (har!) but I can tell you my single GTX 260 pretty much maxes GTA4 out at 1920 res with 30fps a second.
My guess is that he wants more than 30fps. I was able to play GTA4 on decent settings with a 4850, but I wasn't expecting more than 30fps either.

Don't turn this into a ATI vs. Nvidia discussion, because that's a waste of time. Gamers complained about GTA4 performance no matter what brand video card they had. A lot of that is due to unrealistic expectations (like refusing to turn the settings down), but the game performs poorly in general.

What exactly do you mean by "pretty much" maxed out, btw? I doubt anyone could get a consistent 30fps (meaning it rarely drops below that) with anything approaching maxed out settings, no matter what system and video card they have.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2009, 10:31.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Merchants of Brooklyn
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Merchants of Brooklyn Mar 18, 2009, 07:55 Ecthelion

Well no one cares about this game I guess, which is a shame. We all complain about the lack of certain genres and styles, but no one pays attention to them when they come out because they don't have million dollar ad campaigns behind them.
I had never heard of it, but a week or two ago I saw it on Steam and it looked kind of fun.

I would prefer a demo, but I may take a chance on it.

News Comments > Men of War NA Ships, Campaign Generator
9. Re: Men of War NA Ships, Campaign Generator Mar 17, 2009, 16:29 Ecthelion

For those of you who care about DRM, be wary of ordering MoW from GoGamer. Their version appears to be the European import, which has Securom.  

News Comments > Crysis Maximum Edition
14. Re: Crysis Maximum Edition Mar 13, 2009, 12:45 Ecthelion

Indeed. They advertise that you can install and uninstall games as many times as you want on the same computer without needing to reactivate - that means the uninstaller does not revoke your licence.
What a pain. I recently found Crysis pretty cheap, but I guess I won't have to worry about revoking my license when I'm done playing it. One reason I waited until it was cheap to play it is that I don't expect it to be any better than Far Cry (except with better graphics), and one playthrough of that was enough for me.

I can see it being an issue with other games though. The number of times I've reinstalled and replayed HL2 and Jedi Outcast would be a big pain if they "featured" limited activations.

1407 Comments. 71 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo