Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1384 (Pro)
User ID 15046

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Men of War on GamersGate
4. Re: Men of War on GamersGate Mar 11, 2009, 11:39 Ecthelion

I keep looking on the net and can't find any reference to if it uses DRM, if so what kind. Anyone know what the retail version will be using, if any?
According to GameCopyWorld, it uses SecuROM.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price
46. Re: UT3 Free Weekend Mar 11, 2009, 10:13 Ecthelion

PS - Microsoft can fuck right off with their automatic updates prompting restarts. I was in the middle of a game of UT3 when it minimised out... by the time I got back I was dead. Thanks a fucking lot.
They improved that a lot with Vista (for instance, allowing you to postpone for several hours before the notification pops up again), but they need to go a step further and provide an option to disable the pop-ups altogether.

News Comments > Men of War on GamersGate
1. Re: Men of War on GamersGate Mar 11, 2009, 09:42 Ecthelion

$40? Amazon is accepting pre-orders for $28.  

News Comments > Star Trek D-A-C?
7. Re: Star Trek D-A-C? Mar 10, 2009, 04:58 Ecthelion

I am just glad they are finally releasing Star Trek to Blu-ray. I have all 40 yellow dvds (2 episodes per) that I have waiting to compact to 3 brd cases. I hope for a speedy release of the other 25 seasons of material.
TNG on Blu-Ray would probably be pointless. It was edited on video, so there's not a lot they can do to improve the quality beyond the DVD releases.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2009, 04:59.

News Comments > UT3 Patch & Titan Pack
8. Re: UT3 Patch amp; Titan Pack Mar 5, 2009, 13:17 Ecthelion

It looks like the Steam version has been updated, because my Steam client started automatically updating UT3 a short while ago.

EDIT: It looks like Steam is calling it "UT3 Black" now, and they're providing a free weekend for it. It's also on sale in the US for 11.99.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2009, 13:19.

News Comments > Game Reviews
12. Re: Game Reviews Mar 5, 2009, 13:11 Ecthelion

Word of warning, and for some this might keep them from buying...the voice acting is beyond horrible.

It reminds me of the old Saturday morning Kung-Fu movies on USA (or whatever TV network that was).
I've come to expect as much from games made outside the US or UK... unfortunately they are rarely able to get convincing voice talent for the English translation.

It sounds like the game is a good buy (I'll only play it for SP), but it can't come close to the bargain that FoW was for me. I found it for abut $5 on Circuit City's website (back before they went bankrupt), and I was pleasantly surprised by the number and length of the SP missions.

9. Re: Game Reviews Mar 5, 2009, 12:12 Ecthelion

1) 3 Campaigns (russian, german, allied), and a bonus campaign.....just with bonus missions.
Any idea how many missions are in each campaign?

It sounds promising from what you and JaguarUSF have said so far.

6. Re: Men of War Mar 5, 2009, 10:10 Ecthelion

hmmm this direct control stuff sounds great
It was also in Faces of War and I think Soldiers: Heroes of WW2 (which I didn't play), the developer's previous games. I haven't found a review yet that compares Men of War to their two previous games, and I'm curious what's new in it. Anyway, it was a cool feature in Faces of War, but I wonder what has changed. I'll probably still get this even if it's just more of the same, but I'd most likely wait until it's cheap.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2009, 10:11.

4. Re: Saints Row 2 Mar 5, 2009, 09:33 Ecthelion

Maybe there is a memory leak somewhere in the code causing the problem?
It seems like the slowdowns mostly occur while driving. It's not just loading new areas though, because flying doesn't seem to cause the same slowdowns.

News Comments > Stormrise Vista/DirectX 10 Only
18. Re: Stormrise Vista/DirectX 10 Only Mar 4, 2009, 12:29 Ecthelion

Yes, it's actually very good for gaming.
Agreed. I've been using it for over 6 months on a DX10 capable system, and before that I evaluated it on my older system with a DX9 card. Recent games work perfectly, and I've played several older games on it that didn't work as well (or at all) in XP.

Reports of Vista's problems are greatly exaggerated, as is usual when it comes to Microsoft. It isn't without its problems, but I definitely prefer it to XP.

News Comments > Stormrise Vista/DirectX 10 Only
6. Re: Stormrise Vista/DirectX 10 Only Mar 4, 2009, 12:05 Ecthelion

How is DX10 closer to current consoles than DX9 is? The 360's video hardware doesn't support SM4, for one thing.  

News Comments > THQ Layoffs
4. Re: THQ Layoffs Mar 4, 2009, 11:48 Ecthelion

Agreed. Saints Row 2 felt/looked/played like a PS1 game, add to that the fanboys who harp on SR2's greatness. Worst $60 I spent on a game.
I understand complaints about performance, but I really don't understand these kinds of idiotic claims. Does SR2 look as good as GTA4? No. But there is no way in hell that it looks as old as a PS2 game, much less a PS1 one. As for how it felt and played, that's subjective.

Pure grade-A bullshit.

As far as I'm concerned, SR2 deserves props over GTA4 if only for not having your buddies constantly pestering you on the phone.

News Comments > THQ Layoffs
2. Re: THQ Layoffs Mar 4, 2009, 11:16 Ecthelion

Volition has a QA department? Fuck, you'd never have guessed it after Saint's Row 2.
It seems like QA standards for PC ports are pretty low these days - the QA team probably spent a fraction of the time on the PC port that they did on the Xbox360 version. If they were only looking for bugs and not performance problems on the PC, they did a pretty good job with SR2. It would be interesting to find out what these companies actually do for QA on PC ports. Poor performance doesn't seem to be included in the list of things they're checking.

Maybe they're counting on PC gamers with low expectations, who don't really mind frequent framerate drops. I have to admit that I'm usually in this category... if I enjoy the gameplay enough, I'm willing to put up with a lot of shit.

Hell, for all we know the QA team actually did their job, but the game was released anyway.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2009, 11:19.

News Comments > Red Alert 3 Uprising Movie
3. Re: Red Alert 3 Uprising Movie Mar 3, 2009, 16:35 Ecthelion

It's a shame the gameplay is Red Alert is so stale and outdated.

Build a base, build a few select units, rush the enemy, profit.
I haven't played RA3, but I really like the old C&C gameplay. I guess I never "evolved" with the genre.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Comic
3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Comic Feb 27, 2009, 11:48 Ecthelion

I REALLY wish there was a way to transfer my KotoR save from my original XBox over to my 360 easily because I would love to finish the game.
Microsoft didn't make an easy way to do this? That's strange when it's trivial on the PC.

I'm very ignorant of current consoles (I don't have anything newer than a SNES), but do the Xbox and 360 support USB flash drives? Could you transfer the save that way?

News Comments > Duke3D a Good Old Game
29. Re: DN3D a Good Old Game Feb 26, 2009, 16:25 Ecthelion

I know there is a high-res mod for DN3D, but is there one for RotT? I played the demo a little back when it came out, but if I were going to try to get back into it now a graphical update (maybe even with widescreen support) would help a lot.  

News Comments > QUAKE LIVE Beta Live
35. Re: QUAKE LIVE Beta Live Feb 25, 2009, 15:57 Ecthelion

Will be interesting to see if this strong initial interest will die off quickly or not. Quake95 (for windows 3.1) was my very first fps shooter experience (and then Quake2), and therefore has some nastalgic value for me, however since 1998 the UT series has always been a much better game for this genre.

While I'll be spending the time to download this (80% due to the fact that its free, 10% nastalgia, 10% curiousity) I cant help but wonder what all the hub-bub is about in getting to play a 13 year old game because personally speaking I think that once the nastalgia thing wears off (within a week for me i think) itll be right back to UT and Arma, heh.
This is a web-based version of Quake 3 (as the headline says), not the original Quake. It's not quite as nostalgic as it might appear, since a lot of people are still playing Quake 3 today. According to Gamespy, there are 5k players, which is more than America's Army and UT2004.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2009, 11:51 Ecthelion

Since they didn't make the game 100% eye candy, it allows them to do more. Draw distance is great and there is no pop-in. The only slow down I had on the 360 version after more than 20 hours (40% of the game completed) was down by the docks in the marina during a massive gang fight + police + explosions + boats, etc.
Yeah, it isn't as pretty, but I still think it looks a lot better than people give it credit for. I don't understand comments that it looks 5 years old. Sure, it's no Crisis, but that's a good thing for a sandbox style game. I love the customization of the game, although I wish it had more main character voices. For guys, I noticed a black sounding voice, a Brit voice, and a Hispanic voice. The funny thing is, I made a white guy before realizing that the black voice didn't fit a white guy very well. So I ran over to the Image by Design store and changed my skin. I wonder if the Brit voice changes the actual dialog - some of the cutscene dialog would be pretty ridiculous in a British accent (kind of like wearing the Hotdog Suit during missions). It would be funny if people reacted to your clothing, but I haven't noticed it.

I've noticed occasional slowdown (mostly when driving), but it's nothing I can't live with. I could see how it would be frustrating for people that go postal when a game goes below 30 fps though. Sometimes the game seems to slow down when I've been playing for a while, but that may be due to background programs (like BitTorrent) and task-switching. The game also crashes sometimes if I've been playing for a long time and taken occasional breaks (but it could be due to my motherboard's power management utility).

I ran into a funny glitch last night... I was doing a Hitman mission and my target was a biker. Anyway, I spotted a bike driving around with no driver, and I realized it was my target. I shot the bike up until I got a message that I killed my target, all the while never seeing the guy's body... it made me wish SR2 had the video capture feature of GTA4, or that I had had FRAPS running and recording. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've laughed with childish glee while playing this game.

I may actually try co-op when I finish the story, since that sounds pretty fun.

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2009, 12:00.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2009, 11:34 Ecthelion

GoGamer.com has a really good 48 Hour Madness sale going on....if you don't have GTA4 for pc - it is $29.90.
Not a bad price. Personally, I enjoyed Saints Row 2 (which was on sale at GoGamer last week I think) more than GTA4, but they're both fun. Unfortunately, they both have performance issues too, but it wasn't so bad that it ruined my enjoyment of either one.

Still, it would be nice to see them make more effort in porting these games. Patches have helped performance, but they could do more.

News Comments > Tiberium Movies
3. Re: Tiberium Movies Feb 25, 2009, 10:22 Ecthelion

I think I would've liked it, but thats probably because I love anything relating to the Tiberium C&C universe.
Same here. Red Alert was the game that got me interested in RTS games in the first place. Nothing beats squashing infantry with tanks.

I recently picked up the First Decade compilation and have started playing through the series again. Even now, those campaigns (with their cheesy cutscenes) are fun to play. There's a lot of charm in those older games, although it was hard to go back to no production queues (Tiberian Sun was the first to have them)! I think production queues were the last essential innovation to the RTS genre. A lot of more recent RTS's have lost my interest because they were needlessly complicated.

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2009, 10:24.

1384 Comments. 70 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo