Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1390 (Pro)
User ID 15046

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Merchants of Brooklyn
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Merchants of Brooklyn Mar 18, 2009, 07:55 Ecthelion

Well no one cares about this game I guess, which is a shame. We all complain about the lack of certain genres and styles, but no one pays attention to them when they come out because they don't have million dollar ad campaigns behind them.
I had never heard of it, but a week or two ago I saw it on Steam and it looked kind of fun.

I would prefer a demo, but I may take a chance on it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Men of War NA Ships, Campaign Generator
9. Re: Men of War NA Ships, Campaign Generator Mar 17, 2009, 16:29 Ecthelion

For those of you who care about DRM, be wary of ordering MoW from GoGamer. Their version appears to be the European import, which has Securom.  

News Comments > Crysis Maximum Edition
14. Re: Crysis Maximum Edition Mar 13, 2009, 12:45 Ecthelion

Indeed. They advertise that you can install and uninstall games as many times as you want on the same computer without needing to reactivate - that means the uninstaller does not revoke your licence.
What a pain. I recently found Crysis pretty cheap, but I guess I won't have to worry about revoking my license when I'm done playing it. One reason I waited until it was cheap to play it is that I don't expect it to be any better than Far Cry (except with better graphics), and one playthrough of that was enough for me.

I can see it being an issue with other games though. The number of times I've reinstalled and replayed HL2 and Jedi Outcast would be a big pain if they "featured" limited activations.

News Comments > Crysis Maximum Edition
12. Re: Crysis Maximum Edition Mar 13, 2009, 11:09 Ecthelion

shouldn't fear installing games I've bought and that HAS been the case with Far Cry 2, Crysis Warhead and Clear Sky - especially the latter two when they didn't have revoke tools (Warhead has one now but it took a long time).
I'm guessing from the separate revoke tool that limited activation games don't automatically revoke on uninstallation?

That's stupid, if it's the case. I always uninstall my games before moving to a new computer, but if I have to take extra effort to deauthorize that's just ridiculous.

News Comments > UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price
48. Re: UT3 Free Weekend Mar 11, 2009, 15:53 Ecthelion

It's Vista64 I'm using... the notification I was talking about was the one asking whether you want to postpone the restart or not. Why should that popup take precedence over a game? It just doesn't make sense. It should apply common sense, so that if a user is running a full screen app then it won't disturb them until after they finished using it.
I remembered that you are running Vista. As I said, they improved restart notification in Vista... in XP, it didn't give you the option of postponing for several hours - it would just pop up again a few minutes later, potentially interrupting a full-screen app multiple times.

But, like I also said in my post, there is still a lot of room for improvement. There should be a place in the Control Panel where you can set it to not notify you at all after applying updates, but simply put the icon in the notification tray to let you know a restart is required. This wouldn't require any tricky-to-program common sense, it would just be a simple checkbox to tell Windows you don't want games interrupted.

So yeah, I was agreeing with you... but I also took the opportunity to point out the restart notification was improved in Vista (but not enough).

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2009, 15:54.

News Comments > Men of War on GamersGate
7. Re: Men of War on GamersGate Mar 11, 2009, 13:02 Ecthelion

I got it straight from the Aspyr press rep that the U.S. version of Men of War will have NO DRM. I totally have connections. The UK version, however, does have Securom.
So Aspyr is doing the US version... I didn't know if the one from Amazon was an import or not (I'm not even sure if they sell imported games, but I know GoGamer routinely does), but since it's the Aspyr one I guess it isn't. I don't give a rat's ass about 99% of DRM (including Secrurom), so I was going to get it anyway. But I think I'll wait a while, because I have too many games to play at the moment. I'm looking forward to playing MoW though.

4. Re: Men of War on GamersGate Mar 11, 2009, 11:39 Ecthelion

I keep looking on the net and can't find any reference to if it uses DRM, if so what kind. Anyone know what the retail version will be using, if any?
According to GameCopyWorld, it uses SecuROM.

News Comments > UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price
46. Re: UT3 Free Weekend Mar 11, 2009, 10:13 Ecthelion

PS - Microsoft can fuck right off with their automatic updates prompting restarts. I was in the middle of a game of UT3 when it minimised out... by the time I got back I was dead. Thanks a fucking lot.
They improved that a lot with Vista (for instance, allowing you to postpone for several hours before the notification pops up again), but they need to go a step further and provide an option to disable the pop-ups altogether.

1. Re: Men of War on GamersGate Mar 11, 2009, 09:42 Ecthelion

$40? Amazon is accepting pre-orders for $28.  

News Comments > Star Trek D-A-C?
7. Re: Star Trek D-A-C? Mar 10, 2009, 04:58 Ecthelion

I am just glad they are finally releasing Star Trek to Blu-ray. I have all 40 yellow dvds (2 episodes per) that I have waiting to compact to 3 brd cases. I hope for a speedy release of the other 25 seasons of material.
TNG on Blu-Ray would probably be pointless. It was edited on video, so there's not a lot they can do to improve the quality beyond the DVD releases.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2009, 04:59.

News Comments > UT3 Patch & Titan Pack
8. Re: UT3 Patch amp; Titan Pack Mar 5, 2009, 13:17 Ecthelion

It looks like the Steam version has been updated, because my Steam client started automatically updating UT3 a short while ago.

EDIT: It looks like Steam is calling it "UT3 Black" now, and they're providing a free weekend for it. It's also on sale in the US for 11.99.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2009, 13:19.

News Comments > Game Reviews
12. Re: Game Reviews Mar 5, 2009, 13:11 Ecthelion

Word of warning, and for some this might keep them from buying...the voice acting is beyond horrible.

It reminds me of the old Saturday morning Kung-Fu movies on USA (or whatever TV network that was).
I've come to expect as much from games made outside the US or UK... unfortunately they are rarely able to get convincing voice talent for the English translation.

It sounds like the game is a good buy (I'll only play it for SP), but it can't come close to the bargain that FoW was for me. I found it for abut $5 on Circuit City's website (back before they went bankrupt), and I was pleasantly surprised by the number and length of the SP missions.

9. Re: Game Reviews Mar 5, 2009, 12:12 Ecthelion

1) 3 Campaigns (russian, german, allied), and a bonus campaign.....just with bonus missions.
Any idea how many missions are in each campaign?

It sounds promising from what you and JaguarUSF have said so far.

6. Re: Men of War Mar 5, 2009, 10:10 Ecthelion

hmmm this direct control stuff sounds great
It was also in Faces of War and I think Soldiers: Heroes of WW2 (which I didn't play), the developer's previous games. I haven't found a review yet that compares Men of War to their two previous games, and I'm curious what's new in it. Anyway, it was a cool feature in Faces of War, but I wonder what has changed. I'll probably still get this even if it's just more of the same, but I'd most likely wait until it's cheap.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2009, 10:11.

4. Re: Saints Row 2 Mar 5, 2009, 09:33 Ecthelion

Maybe there is a memory leak somewhere in the code causing the problem?
It seems like the slowdowns mostly occur while driving. It's not just loading new areas though, because flying doesn't seem to cause the same slowdowns.

News Comments > Stormrise Vista/DirectX 10 Only
18. Re: Stormrise Vista/DirectX 10 Only Mar 4, 2009, 12:29 Ecthelion

Yes, it's actually very good for gaming.
Agreed. I've been using it for over 6 months on a DX10 capable system, and before that I evaluated it on my older system with a DX9 card. Recent games work perfectly, and I've played several older games on it that didn't work as well (or at all) in XP.

Reports of Vista's problems are greatly exaggerated, as is usual when it comes to Microsoft. It isn't without its problems, but I definitely prefer it to XP.

News Comments > Stormrise Vista/DirectX 10 Only
6. Re: Stormrise Vista/DirectX 10 Only Mar 4, 2009, 12:05 Ecthelion

How is DX10 closer to current consoles than DX9 is? The 360's video hardware doesn't support SM4, for one thing.  

News Comments > THQ Layoffs
4. Re: THQ Layoffs Mar 4, 2009, 11:48 Ecthelion

Agreed. Saints Row 2 felt/looked/played like a PS1 game, add to that the fanboys who harp on SR2's greatness. Worst $60 I spent on a game.
I understand complaints about performance, but I really don't understand these kinds of idiotic claims. Does SR2 look as good as GTA4? No. But there is no way in hell that it looks as old as a PS2 game, much less a PS1 one. As for how it felt and played, that's subjective.

Pure grade-A bullshit.

As far as I'm concerned, SR2 deserves props over GTA4 if only for not having your buddies constantly pestering you on the phone.

News Comments > THQ Layoffs
2. Re: THQ Layoffs Mar 4, 2009, 11:16 Ecthelion

Volition has a QA department? Fuck, you'd never have guessed it after Saint's Row 2.
It seems like QA standards for PC ports are pretty low these days - the QA team probably spent a fraction of the time on the PC port that they did on the Xbox360 version. If they were only looking for bugs and not performance problems on the PC, they did a pretty good job with SR2. It would be interesting to find out what these companies actually do for QA on PC ports. Poor performance doesn't seem to be included in the list of things they're checking.

Maybe they're counting on PC gamers with low expectations, who don't really mind frequent framerate drops. I have to admit that I'm usually in this category... if I enjoy the gameplay enough, I'm willing to put up with a lot of shit.

Hell, for all we know the QA team actually did their job, but the game was released anyway.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2009, 11:19.

News Comments > Red Alert 3 Uprising Movie
3. Re: Red Alert 3 Uprising Movie Mar 3, 2009, 16:35 Ecthelion

It's a shame the gameplay is Red Alert is so stale and outdated.

Build a base, build a few select units, rush the enemy, profit.
I haven't played RA3, but I really like the old C&C gameplay. I guess I never "evolved" with the genre.

1390 Comments. 70 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo