Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1453 (Pro)
User ID 15046
User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > X3: Terran Conflict Patched
6. Re: X3: Terran Conflict Patched Oct 14, 2009, 18:52 Ecthelion
Way to ruin my fantasy with your "facts!"  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
4. Re: X3: Terran Conflict Patched Oct 14, 2009, 18:38 Ecthelion
Is there any game that doesn't get boring after playing it solidly for a few months?
Probably not. I'm just more accustomed to playing through linear games that end before they get boring.

I like the open-world games I've played, but I wish they managed to stay interesting for a longer period of time. I guess that's just wishful thinking though. The only one I can remember that was actually disappointing was Far Cry 2. I don't think I even made it through half of the missions before I decided I had played the same few missions over and over again. Sure, it was fun to have different ways of killing the bad guys, but even that lost its charm eventually.

I hope to see my idea of a perfect game before I die, but that's probably not realistic. I'd like to see an open-ended game that had a completely destructible environment and completely destructible objects, a completely open world, and near-infinite real variety in missions (i.e. near-infinite variety in types of missions, not just mission details). Too bad it's probably an impossible dream.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2009, 18:44.
2. Re: X3: Terran Conflict Patched Oct 14, 2009, 17:02 Ecthelion
I got bored of X3:TC after playing it solid for the past few months. I took a break to play through The Witcher for the first time (which I just finished), and I have little motivation to go back to X3:TC even after this nice patch. I was excited about the patch (especially the Flak fix) before I got tired of the game.

It's a great game, but like the past games in the series it gets boring after a while, at least for me. But hey, the same thing happened with Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 (after playing for 50 hours or so and finishing the main quests I got bored), and I consider those purchases to have been good investments since those 50 hours were highly entertaining.

I have nothing but respect for Egosoft. Especially now that they seem to have completely put the Steam patch fiasco behind them (this one was added to Steam before the retail version!). I eagerly await their next game.

EDIT: I also noticed this patch (the Steam version, if that matters) added what looks like a polish version of the manual in the Documents folder of the game directory. Talk about strange. Huh

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2009, 17:12.
News Comments > Gold - Borderlands
31. Re: Ok, it's gold. What DRM? Oct 12, 2009, 17:00 Ecthelion
As soon as I heard that they would be releasing the GotY edition, fully updated and with all the packs on-disk, I stopped considering buying the other two expansion packs, uninstalled the game, and now wait for them to ship it. Even though I already have the collectors edition, I will buy the game again so that I never have to fool with GfWL again.
Do you mean you won't have to log in to GfWL? Because the Fallout 3 GotY edition is still a GfWL game.
News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
86. Re: OFP Dragon Rising Out Oct 10, 2009, 15:55 Ecthelion
The game can be bloody frustrating. It has no quicksave function, and yes, I do consider that a weakness. For the 10% boost in "realism" that checkpoint saves give (making you more afraid of death) they add 95% to the irritation factor, especially in a game where someone from 400 yards away can kill you with one shot. I play games for fun, not for realism, and would have appreciated the ability to quicksave. The hardcore realism guys could then ignore that function if they so wish.
Why don't more games handle savegame frequency via the game difficulty selection? The Hitman series (at least starting with the second one... I can't remember how the first handled it) handled it perfectly - at the hardest difficulty you got no or one save per mission (depends on the mission I think), with each easier difficulty level providing more saves. Every checkpoint-based game should provide this kind of functionality so that more casual gamers can enjoy the game. It also doesn't affect the hardcore gamers who want to play without quicksaves.
News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Oct 9, 2009, 07:37 Ecthelion
I agree with Jeryyk and Bet about the Hitman series. It's my favorite PC series, with the nice distinction of actually improving with each game.

It's been a while since I played the first one, but I have replayed Silent Assassin, Contracts, and Blood Money several times. It's a shame that the Steam package doesn't include Contracts, because it's a great game. Silent Assassin is one of the most frustrating of the series, because it has a level or two that are extremely long, rather buggy (at least if you are trying to accomplish the mission without alerting the enemy), and not very fun. For those that have played it, I'm talking about some of the Japan missions (some of them are good, but one or two of them are really aggravating). In addition, it's difficult to run without raising the suspicion of the enemy (yes it's realistic, but it's frustrating). Thankfully Contracts and Blood Money eliminated those faults, and ended up being almost perfect games. Most if not all of the levels in Contracts and Blood Money are awesome, although Silent Assassin has some great ones as well.

All of the Hitman games can be tweaked to work in widescreen resolutions also, although Blood Money supports them natively. Unfortunately, they all seem to use "Vert-" mode, meaning they lose vertical screen space instead of gaining horizontal screen space (which is the definition of "widescreen"). Don't let that detract from otherwise stellar games though.

One of the best thing about the Hitman games is that you can finish most levels multiple ways. First of all, you can choose whether to run and gun (although this isn't an option for some levels because it can alert your targets and let them escape) or do things like a real hitman. Beyond that, there are multiple methods of killing each target, both stealthily and directly.

I highly recommend all of the Hitman games, especially everything after the first one. I also suggest trying to play on the hardest difficultly level the first time through, because it makes the missions more tense and provides a bigger sense of accomplishment.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2009, 07:41.
News Comments > GameTap Changes
4. Re: GameTap Changes Oct 8, 2009, 19:30 Ecthelion
The thing that's sad about it is the vast majority of their games work just fine on a 64-bit OS. It's their own incompetence or narrow-mindedness in creating their DRM wrapper for the games.  
News Comments > EA Gets Steamier
9. Re: Game Reviews Oct 7, 2009, 08:50 Ecthelion
If you are reading EA, please put C&C 3, Kane's Wrath, and C&C 1st Decade, and Battle For Middle Earth 1 and 2 (plus expansions) on Steam!
Agreed. The BFME games are all out of print, so they're hard to find anywhere. I missed out on them when they were first released, so I'd love a chance to play them all without paying over $50 for a used copy, and then have to deal with multiple CDs and DVDs.

2. Why do the system requirements says: "Multiplayer: 2 - 6 players with optional voice support, network or Internet connection required (Cable, DSL or faster connection)." when there is no online play?
It looks like Steam (or EA) just copy and pasted the system requirements for the original RA3.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2009, 08:55.
News Comments > Star Trek Online Ship List
6. Re: Star Trek Online Ship List Oct 5, 2009, 12:43 Ecthelion
Ugh. All of the new picture-linked ships look like terrible fanmade kitbashes.

I know it's too much to expect professional-looking designs, but at least past Trek games have had a few decent designs. I haven't seen any for STO yet.
News Comments > Arkham Asylum Sells Well
103. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Sep 25, 2009, 14:30 Ecthelion
This is your champion?
Hell no.

While I don't disagree with everything he says (although I do disagree with pretty much all of his non-gaming views - especially the homophobic stuff - from his early posting days), I strongly disagree with the way it's presented. I'd like to believe most of us PC gamers don't live in Jerykk's world of absolutes.

I really disagree with his suggestion that if all gamers were PC gamers, they would have higher standards. Even if we assume his definition of "high standards" is restricted to typical PC gamer preferences and not as much personal taste, many of those standards are subjective.

I haven't played any games on the current generation of consoles (except for a little Wii Sports at a friend's house), and I don't have any skill with gamepads that use thumbsticks (that should tell you how long it's been since I put any serious time in on a console). If anyone should hate consoles for ruining PC gaming, it should be me. But I really don't. For example, it didn't bother me that GTA4 had a cover system... in fact I thought it fit the game well. I do regret some of the trends in the gaming industry during the past few years, but some of those would have likely happened even without the shift in focus to consoles. It wouldn't have taken long before someone figured out that "dumbing down" games meant increased revenue, even without consoles being in the equation.

I find that the PC is the best fit for my gaming, and that I don't need to own a console. But I don't care what system is the best, and that's not something that can be determined objectively anyway. On the technical side, the PC is better in many areas, but technical ability is far from the only factor in determining which is best. The only thing that should matter is what platform or platforms fits your gaming the best.

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2009, 14:33.
News Comments > Arkham Asylum Sells Well
73. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Well Sep 23, 2009, 19:48 Ecthelion
Hehe, what the fuck ever. I'm a PC game fanatic and I can tell you that this game is FUN, FUN, FUN! "Worst game ever." Pff, crawl back under your Whining Rock and shut up.

I love Arkham...

When I read that guy's nitpicking about the plot all I heard was Comic Book Guy from Simpsons saying, "Worst game ever". So attempting to be funny I quoted, applied strikethrough, and replaced.

And now I've ruined it.
I assumed that's what you meant, but I'm a huge Simpsons fan.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2009, 19:48.
News Comments > Batman: Arkham Asylum Patch
56. Re: Arkham Asylum Patch Sep 23, 2009, 14:00 Ecthelion
Hmm.. I don't have anything on my Start Menu, I can't find anything called Game Setup, and I looked through the ../steamapps/common/batman (etc.) folder and couldn't find anything similar.

This is rather daft.
Did you try ..\steamapps\common\batman arkham asylum - demo\Binaries\ ?

There is a file in there called BmLauncher.exe, which may be it.

It's been a while since I played the demo, so I'm not sure if the display settings utility launches from a central launcher or if it's a separate app. I think it's a button on the launcher.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2009, 14:01.
News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 23, 2009, 13:55 Ecthelion
The only ATI issue I've had in the past several years of using their cards is that pillarboxing of non-widescreen resolutions doesn't seem to work in Windows 7 (at least on the release candidate). It worked fine in Vista though.

Other than that, I've been very happy with all of my ATI cards (X800 XL, X1800 XT, HD 4850). My next card will probably be in the 5800 series or maybe its successor if my 4850 lasts that long.
News Comments > Batman: Arkham Asylum Patch
52. Re: Arkham Asylum Patch Sep 23, 2009, 13:40 Ecthelion
Like Jerykk, I too had no job during most of college, and I spent most of my non-educational time gaming. I have to admit that I engaged in some piracy during that time. One specific instance I recall was that my roommate went out and bought Baldur's Gate 2 (which is interesting because he wasn't really a gamer), and he "lent" it to me so I could install it.

However, I also remember buying quite a few games during college. I don't have my CDs and DVDs handy, so I can't check at the moment, but I know I bought Bridge Commander, Freespace 2, X-Wing Alliance, Half Life & Opposing Force, R6: Rogue Spear, Unreal Tournament, Soldier of Fortune 2, etc. while I was in college.

Now that I have a decent-paying job (as well as additional income from my wife's job), I have plenty of money to buy games and still have some left over for savings. I have no excuse to pirate anymore, and I wish I hadn't done it even when I had a lack of funds. I have no problem spending $50 on even a short game that looks like fun (especially if I can confirm that impression with a demo), and when I don't buy games at release it's usually because I have too much to play at the time. There are some games I'll wait for the price to drop a bit because it's a gamble that I'll enjoy them, but I don't expect to be able to play those games before paying for them.
News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Sep 23, 2009, 10:49 Ecthelion
Yeah, but if you own a PC and console, wouldn't you read console magazines to get info on console games? You don't see The Source reviewing country albums, even though there is more money in the country industry than in the hip hop one.

I guess it's just part of the trend for magazines to become more and more generic. I used to get PC Magazine, and I noticed that it started shifting from being about the PC to being about technology in general.
News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Sep 23, 2009, 10:01 Ecthelion
Why were so many of the "Most Promising Games" on PC World console exclusives? When I see an article from PC World, I expect it to actually be about PCs.

This isn't whining from a disgruntled PC gamer - I'm well aware that consoles get more press and marketing for upcoming releases, and that the PC isn't getting all of the anticipated upcoming games. But why is PC World writing articles that aren't really about the PC? I wouldn't expect to see a list of upcoming PC exclusives in the Official Xbox Magazine.

I guess I shouldn't expect much of a print magazine that's struggling in a dying market though.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2009, 10:03.
News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Sep 22, 2009, 19:59 Ecthelion
Would Storm of Zehir work if I have the retail version of NWN2?
According to the site, yes.

It's a steal at $5. It reminded me of Icewind Dale, so if you liked those games you should check it out.
News Comments > 64-Bit Half-Life 2 Will Return
18. Re: 64-Bit Half-Life 2 Will Return Sep 18, 2009, 07:52 Ecthelion
I must have missed that memo. I guess now I have to go and uninstall all of the old games that I like which I still play. Rolleyes

HL2 is one of those games that I still enjoy replaying (and yes, I've probably played it through at least 6 times), right up there with Jedi Outcast.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2009, 07:54.
News Comments > Free Tales of Monkey Island Episode Saturday
2. Re: Free Tales of Monkey Island Episode Saturday Sep 17, 2009, 18:19 Ecthelion
$10 is already cheap, so I doubt anyone regrets not waiting. I don't, and I haven't even played it yet.  
News Comments > All Jedi Knight Games to Steam and D2D
56. Re: All Jedi Knight Games to Steam and D Sep 16, 2009, 15:43 Ecthelion
It's available now - $20 for all the Jedi Knight games. I was thinking it would be more.  
1453 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

Blue's News logo