Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1429 (Pro)
User ID 15046

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 14, 2009, 13:09 Ecthelion

If you use Vista or Windows 7, the ATI drivers install without requiring a reboot, and I don't believe they involve a resolution change either.

I haven't noticed my icons moving around since I upgraded to Vista (and now Windows 7) over a year ago. I don't cover my desktop with them, but I still have enough that they have the potential to get rearranged.

The only problem I've had with them is a Windows issue - apparently the icon positions are stored when Windows shuts down properly, not on-the-fly. If you rearrange your icons and you do a forced restart, they will be back the way they were before they were rearranged.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > All Jedi Knight Games to Steam and D2D
18. Re: All Jedi Knight Games to Steam and D2D Sep 12, 2009, 18:45 Ecthelion

I think the best aspect to these releases is for people who only played JK2 and JA to experience JK1/MotS. The older games are better IMO because of how expansive the levels are. Better atmosphere I think. It makes you feel small, as you probably really would in such an industrially mechanized space-faring future world. Love it. Saber sucks tho. Oh, and I recall that going light or dark depends on your actions in a sort of KOTOR-lite kinda way. JK1/MotS were made by LucasArts vets instead of Raven, too.
I agree with most of that, but I'm not sure I would call the older games better. JK2 had such great saber combat and I never got bored of force pushing and force pulling enemies off high ledges.

I do remember being completely blown away by the expansive levels in JK1 though, way back when I first played it. And who can forget those wonderfully cheesy cutscenes?

I still have my CDs for all the Jedi Knight games (although I don't think I own Dark Forces, but I don't know if it's being included in this group since it's technically not a Jedi Knight game), but it would be nice to have them on Steam, especially if they were updated at all.

News Comments > LA Announces: Lucidity, Steam Jedi Knight, More
13. Re: LA Announces: Lucidity, Steam Jedi Knight, More Sep 11, 2009, 10:34 Ecthelion

I'm probably on the out on this though, but I preferred Jedi Outcast over Academy.
Agreed. The story was better and the levels flowed better (instead of being a collection of unrelated maps). I did like some of the new saber moves in Academy though.

I have replayed them both probably over a dozen times (and it's time to do so once again), but I always enjoy going through Jedi Outcast more.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2009, 10:36.

News Comments > Arkham Asylum Free DLC for PC Too
39. Re: Arkham Asylum Free DLC for PC Too Sep 10, 2009, 15:26 Ecthelion

I'm sure there are a large batch of content PC gamers who don't flip out like their sister was raped when FEAR 2 has enemy glow, but they don't seem to post on forums, so the general feeling when on a PC site is that no one is happy.
I'm one of those (mostly) content PC gamers, and I do post occasionally. I too have noticed the bitterness and nitpicking that seems to be prevalent here and on other PC-oriented sites, and some of it is understandable. There are fewer PC exclusives than there were in the past, and some of the multiplatform games suffer because they weren't developed primarily for the PC. But I still have more than enough gaming goodness between quality ports (and multiplatform games) and European or indie PC games.

Most of my posting is done on game-specific sites, where they are more likely to be read by PC gamers who are actually having fun gaming.

News Comments > LucasArts Announcement This Week
54. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 19:03 Ecthelion

There was very little "good" acting in the original trilogy either... but that doesn't stop them from being 3 of my favorite movies (especially Empire). I like the new ones too, but they're not classics like the originals. I would prefer the OT setting for a new starfighter game, but a decent one could be made from the prequel setting too. Hell, why not do a game that spans both periods?

It may be a moot point anyway. I don't think the X-Wing franchise is at the top of LA's list of franchises to revisit. Even if they do, I think they're most likely to make a dumbed down arcade space sim that has more in common with Star Wars Starfighter than with TIE Fighter.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2009, 19:07.

News Comments > LucasArts Announcement This Week
28. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 13:56 Ecthelion

My guess is that LA will play it safe and re-release the old X-Wing/TIE Fighter games on Steam and see how well they sell. If they sell well enough, they might decide a new game in the series would be worth their time and effort.

While I'm sure they know those games are classics, they're probably also not bold enough to be the first AAA company to make a space sim in 6 years without testing the waters first.

Oh, and I don't think any of the classic Star Wars games used any famous voices. Wing Commander 3, 4, and Prophecy, Freespace 2, and Freelancer are the only space sims I can think of that used semi-famous actors.

News Comments > On Sale
16. Re: On Sale Sep 5, 2009, 10:55 Ecthelion

I just finished the game yesterday. I have really mixed feelings about it, mostly negative. I felt like I was playing both an old tech demo and a game-long tutorial.
Don't play the prequel then. In addition to being generally easier, they made the duels more frustrating (at least when using a mouse and keyboard). I still like it though... I think I'm about half way through it.

Maybe it was mostly the freshness of the Western atmosphere that won me over, but I enjoyed the gameplay too. I really enjoyed using revolvers, shotguns, and the bow.

What do you mean by an "old" tech demo by the way? I didn't find any of the graphics to be outdated. I've seen better character models, but they weren't bad by any means. I also thought the environments looked great, and I don't know if I've played any games that had better looking ones.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2009, 10:56.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Sep 4, 2009, 21:25 Ecthelion

If you haven't played Call of Juarez yet, do yourself a favor and pick it up on GoGamer for $1. It's a very entertaining story-based Western FPS, which is definitely a less common environment for the genre.

The prequel is more consolized, but the first one feels like a PC game for the most part.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 2, 2009, 20:44 Ecthelion

Have you tried any of the gog stuff? Was wondering how well that worked...
Anything in particular? If it's DOS based, of course it will work via something like DOSBox, because the game doesn't actually see the operating system. If it's an old Windows game, chances are still pretty good that it will work. The only ones I've had issues with were buggy games to begin with. The one that comes to mind right now is Star Trek DS9 Dominion Wars, as I specifically remember testing that. But that's one of the most finicky games I've ever had the "privilege" of playing. I had trouble getting it to work on Windows XP, but was surprised to get it working on Windows Vista 32-bit.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2009, 20:45.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 2, 2009, 17:50 Ecthelion

Lately I've been retro gaming and many older games, some of which barely work on XP I somehow doubt would function properly on Win 7.
Don't be so sure. I have gotten a few games working in Windows 7 that never worked (or never worked well) in XP.

The biggest problem is 64-bit. Some older games simply won't run on a 64-bit OS, whether it's XP64, Vista 64, or Win7 64.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Survey Results
52. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Sep 2, 2009, 10:15 Ecthelion

Regardless of whether refresh rate matters on LCDs, all I know is that playing games at 60Hz on my LCD doesn't make my eyes hurt after long sessions. That was the biggest problem with low refresh rates on CRTs for me, and why I had to turn it up to 70+. I don't need to do that with my LCD because it doesn't hurt my eyes. The motion blur doesn't bother me, but maybe I've just gotten used to it.

For me, the benefits of gaming with a LCD (widescreen resolutions*, reduced energy use, reduced weight, elimination of the need to fine-tune the screen dimensions) outweigh the drawbacks. The only one that really affects me is resolution scaling, as I play a lot of older games. However, it's possible to avoid that for the most part. You could get a widescreen monitor with a native res of 1366x768. This would let you play older games that support 1024x768 with no scaling (provided your video card drivers support turning off automatic stretch scaling, which most widescreen monitors do by default if the drivers don't explicitly instruct them not to) in "pillar box" mode. Whenever I play older games, I try to use a resolution that "fits" my native res closest, and I haven't found it very blurry. That's a personal preference though... I can understand why some would find it unacceptable. But the vast majority of LCD owners don't know how to scale nonnative resolutions without stretching, so don't base your opinion on that.

* There are a few widescreen CRTs out there, but given the state of the CRT market I doubt they would be easy to find now.

The real question is what are you hardcore CRT users going to do when they finally die? It's getting harder and harder to find CRTs, much less decent ones.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2009, 10:29.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Q&A
2. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Q&A Aug 31, 2009, 13:50 Ecthelion

Yeah, I think they're overhyping the social experience stuff. Call me old fashioned, but isn't that what game forums are for? All you need for the "water cooler" sharing experience is active forums where players describe their adventures in the game.  

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Aug 21, 2009, 09:39 Ecthelion

I was thinking the same thing. The list price is $29.95... way to high for a game that came out on October 11, 2005 (over 4 years ago).
I think you meant almost 4 years ago. But yeah, that price is too high. It's still $25 at GoGamer, so maybe the price just didn't drop like most of them do after this long.

I was going to comment on digital pricing, but in this case even retail prices aren't as cheap as I would expect.

News Comments > PC Modern Warfare 2 $60? [Updated]
18. Re: PC Modern Warfare 2 $60? Aug 18, 2009, 10:43 Ecthelion

If I remember correctly, Neverwinter Nights and Warcraft 3 were both $60 at release, but pretty much everything else on the PC has debuted at $50 or less. Was Doom3 $60 too, as Beamer said? I can't remember.

I'm not a big fan of modern-day or quasi-futuristic shooters like CoD4, so this doesn't really interest me anyway. But I can imagine the price increase (if true) setting a precedent for the price of future PC games. I'd rather not see that happen, especially since the very minor price drop of CoD4 could indicate a future trend of prices not going down much for popular titles.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2009, 10:50.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances
6. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 17, 2009, 21:45 Ecthelion

We have another division – ZeniMax Online Studios – which is lead by Matt Firor, and they are working on an MMO. They have not said anything about what game they are making. When ZeniMax Online is ready to show what they are up to, we’ll let everyone know. Until then we aren’t going to provide hints or speculate on what they’re doing either.

It's called Fallout Online.
Interplay is making Fallout online, actually.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2009, 22:46 Ecthelion

People really need to stop fucking whining about Horse Armor. It was released four years ago, and since then Bethesda has released a dozen (I believe) more DLCs, some of which were pretty bad, but others which have been fucking amazing. (Broken Steel and Point Lookout come to mind.)

Continuously harping on horse armor just makes you sound like a broken record.
Yeah, it's the gaming equivalent of continuing to refer to Microsoft as "M$" every time you mention them, years after it stopped being clever.

News Comments > Steam Downtime Tomorrow
9. Re: Steam Downtime Tomorrow Aug 5, 2009, 15:19 Ecthelion

It'd be interesting to see their usage statistics by country.
It's not quite what you're asking for, but you can see how many content servers are in each country.

Go to the following address, then click "View individual server statistics".
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/

News Comments > The Witcher Director's Cut & Patch
20. Re: The Witcher Director's Cut & Patch Jul 31, 2009, 18:16 Ecthelion

Thanks Ecthelion! I take it that you don't have to install patch 1.3 before installing the Enhanced Edition patch?
No, this isn't Company of Heroes.

17. Re: The Witcher Director's Cut & Patch Jul 31, 2009, 18:04 Ecthelion

Patching is a bit complex. The official webpage uses a Czech download site for the patches, so not everything is in English (on the site, the files themselves are all in English). It's probably easier to get them from the The Patches Scrolls link. Anyway, you'll want to do this:

1. Download the 900MB Enhanced Edition patch
2. Download the language pack you want (they're all in the 400+ MB range)
3. (Optional) Download the two adventure packs
4. Make sure all the files are in the same place, then run TWEE_Upgrade.exe (this takes a while but will get you the Enhanced Edition)
5. Download and install Patch 1.5
6. Download and install the Director's Cut patch

This site also lets you download the Soundtrack and bonus content for the Enhanced Edition (which includes making-of videos, and updated manual, strategy guide, and world maps).

I don't think you need the other patches on The Patches Scrolls, but I'm not sure. I'm ashamed to say I haven't had a chance to start playing yet, but I plan to soon.

EDIT: Creston, the link in my post will let you download all the files relating to the Enhanced Edition upgrade. Just keep in mind that the big yellow button is the Download button (it says something in Czech that I assume means "Download").

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2009, 18:07.

13. Re: The Witcher Director's Cut & Patch Jul 31, 2009, 16:52 Ecthelion

Edit: Ugh, $40 from impulse and steam (which doesn't have directors cut)?

I was thinking $20 would be max I would pay (although I'd probably be tempted even if it was a bit more). Hmm, maybe I'll try to pick up the retail version cheap somewhere maybe ebay.

If steam did a weekend sale for this even at $29 I'd probably jump on it at that price.

Newegg has the original version for $15. It patches up to the latest version and works fine with this Director's Cut patch.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2009, 16:52.

1429 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo