Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1358 (Pro)
User ID 15046

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Apr 27, 2009, 14:09 Ecthelion

Why cant they give us something usefull, like a Win95 emulator? Do you know how many QUALITY games I have that came out during the end-of-dos days, that work ONLY on Win95?? And forget compatibility mode....
Have you tried them in Vista? I have tried several early Win95 games that work perfectly in Vista, including Quicktime-based games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Six Days in Fallujah Dropped
20. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 12:03 Ecthelion

What really annoys me though is that publishers cave in to 'public' opinion, regardless of how much of the supposed public actually complained. I don't care if John McVirtuous doesn't like shooting Iraqis in the face, he doesn't have the right to prevent someone creating something relating to that, or to prevent me from possessing it, regardless of how tasteless it may appear.
It was probably just a business decision. Publishers are only interested in this much controversy if the game is guaranteed to sell well, or if they think the controversy will actually improve sales. Since this isn't a Grand Theft Auto, when they started getting negative feedback they decided to cut their losses and move on.

News Comments > GameFly vs. USPS
7. Re: GameFly vs. USPS Apr 24, 2009, 15:38 Ecthelion

This is what happens when you let the government run things...
Perhaps. How do other countries do it? Do any of them have non-governmental postal services?

News Comments > PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans
36. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 24, 2009, 10:00 Ecthelion

Did they take liberties with the characters and storyline? Of course. It didn't make the game bad...just different from what you wanted.
I never said EF1 or EF2 were bad games... just that they weren't true to the Star Trek universe. The shooter fan in me enjoyed them, but the Trekkie in me wanted games that showed the spirit of Star Trek. The adventure games of the past did a better job of that.

33. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 24, 2009, 07:29 Ecthelion

it's hard to track down anymore but if you can find a copy of it, elite force 2 is far superior. it was designed by ritual, who shifted it away from voyager onto enterprise. it had a more entertaining storyline presented with better aptitude, with less linearity and interesting puzzles.
I disagree. It may have been a better shooter, but it was even worse as a Star Trek game. Particular bad were the silly boss battles and nonsensical characters (a Ferengi who decided it was a good idea to fight an elite Starfleet security officer? Please). Elite Force was bad enough, with the silly idea that Starfleet would use a combat team on away missions. But at least it had the excuse that with the USS Voyager being stranded away from Starfleet, such a team would be slightly more believable. EF2 had no excuse since the team was moved to the USS Enterprise.

That's why A Final Unity (I never played 25th Anniversary) was a much better Star Trek game... it felt like you were playing through an episode. Most of the other Star Trek games felt like genre games that happened to take place in the Star Trek universe. Some of them got the atmosphere right, but not the characters and plot.

10. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 23, 2009, 15:25 Ecthelion

I wish they'd go back to games that aren't just combat. Don't get me wrong, I love violent games (most non-violent games bore me), but I always felt that adventure games like Judgment Rites and A Final Unity captured the spirit of Star Trek much better than combat-oriented games like Elite Force and Starfleet Command. Let's not even mention Legacy.

Bring back the exploration - that's what Star Trek is about. Unfortunately, the new movie seems to be changing that. I hope future sequels and series go back to the roots of what made Star Trek interesting instead of just going for big explosions.

EDIT: This is assuming future games are Federation-based, but that's a safe bet given the franchise's gaming history. Shooters and other combat-oriented games are a natural fit for Klingon-based games, like the mediocre Klingon Honor Guard.

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 2009, 15:35.

News Comments > NCsoft All Steamed Up
19. Re: NCsoft All Steamed Up Apr 23, 2009, 08:53 Ecthelion

not sure this is fair, see i didnt really like guild wars 1, then i bought nightfall a few years laters and have to say it was a EXCELLENT play thru; the "hero pets" or whatever you call them gavet he game depth that i always thought it was missing;

for any first time buyer, id recomend you buy nightfall first, and if you like that then buy the others, as frankly its by far the best campaign.
I didn't realize Nightfall was standalone, and it seems that it is generally regarded as the best of the bunch. I'll change my advice to mirror yours then... buy Nightfall first and see if you like it before buying the others. The main point of my original advice was that it doesn't make sense to buy the whole set if you haven't tried any of them yet, and that still stands.

Personally, I don't think they could have addressed all of the reasons I hated GW in Nightfall, so I never tried it and never will. But to be fair, I'm not part of the target audience for the series. I hate MMOs (yes, I tried several of them before I formed that opinion), and I'm not a multiplayer gamer in general. I would rather play a singleplayer-oriented RPG than play GW. I was under the mistaken impression that GW could be fun to play mostly solo; maybe the expansions have improved on that, but the original got boring pretty quickly.

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 2009, 12:24.

News Comments > Mafia II Interview
3. Re: Mafia II Interview Apr 22, 2009, 15:16 Ecthelion

I'm looking forward to it. I only hope that making it a multiplatform release doesn't force them to make concessions for the PC version. If Mafia II is only 75% as good as the first one, it will be a classic as far as I'm concerned.

I haven't seen any information on it being DX10-only.

News Comments > NCsoft All Steamed Up
2. Re: NCsoft All Steamed Up Apr 22, 2009, 14:48 Ecthelion

I wouldn't say they are an essential purchase. It makes more sense to evaluate the original Guild Wars, then get the expansions if you like it. Personally, I hated GW, so I'm glad I didn't buy the expansions without trying the base game first.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2009, 14:48.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Anniversary Apr 21, 2009, 13:53 Ecthelion

My wife and I had three weddings, all in the space of 3 years...

We did an informal justice-of-the-peace style wedding (which was necessary to get her out of legal trouble), a big church wedding, and a "family" wedding in her home country with her family and friends. We try to remember the days of all three but it does make things confusing for deciding when we should celebrate our "actual" anniversary.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 2009, 13:54.

News Comments > NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate This Month
35. Re: NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate This Month Apr 21, 2009, 10:59 Ecthelion

It's a shame that there isn't an option for those of us who want to reward Ossian for their hard work, while sending Atari a message that this DRM is too obtrusive.

As has already been stated, if the pack doesn't sell, Atari will get the message that adventure packs are unprofitable. Whether it sells or not, it's unlikely they will decide to stop using this DRM.

Personally, I'm going to buy it, and look for a crack to ensure I can reinstall it in the future. It's not an ideal solution, but I'm not going to miss out on a fun RPG experience and deprive Ossian of well-deserved recognition just because Atari went overboard with the DRM.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 2009, 11:00.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Revealed
19. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 13:09 Ecthelion

So far, Obsidian has released two games that were 70% complete, storywise. Maybe this time they'll actually FINISH one.
Don't forget two expansions (the two NWN2 expansions) that were 100% complete, storywise. I guess they bite off more than they can chew, so they need an expansion to finish the story. Hopefully this game will be more complete.

News Comments > NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate This Month
9. Re: NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate This Month Apr 20, 2009, 12:43 Ecthelion

I'll probably still get it to support the developers, but I will wait until full confirmed details are out. I wouldn't care about the activation-based DRM if resets were possible, but without that feature it's pretty damn limiting even for DRM-tolerant people like me.  

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Revealed
5. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 11:46 Ecthelion

This sounds interesting. I've enjoyed all of Obsidian's games so far, even if they tend to be buggy. It might be worth dealing with bugs if we get a less sterile game than Fallout 3.  

News Comments > Fallout Online Legal Woes?
19. Re: No Elder Scrolls Apr 16, 2009, 15:26 Ecthelion

See gamers buy games. They just want good games, it doesn't matter it is a MMO or RTS or FPS. I don't how else to explain it to you.
So you're not a gamer unless you like all genres? Next you're going to say you have to like all platforms too. I'm a PC gamer (yes, gamer) who likes quite a few genres. FPS, RTS, RPG and Sims are some of the genres I like. However, I don't care for MMOs or Fighting games. That doesn't make me any less of a gamer. Just as someone can be a fan of movies and not like every single genre out there, the same is true of gaming genres.

I have no interest in playing a Fallout MMO, but I'm not opposed to its creation as long as it doesn't stand in the way of another "normal" Fallout RPG being made someday.

4. Re: Fallout Online Legal Woes? Apr 16, 2009, 08:53 Ecthelion

That's probably true. I was just taking the opportunity to vent my dislike of the idea of a Fallout MMO. Bethesda has more money to throw at it, but it would still suck.  

1. Re: Fallout Online Legal Woes? Apr 16, 2009, 08:30 Ecthelion

Say what you will about Fallout 3 and its faults (which I recognize), but I'd rather see another Bethesda-made Fallout game than yet another predictable MMO. Chris Taylor's involvement can't salvage a flawed genre.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2009, 08:30.

News Comments > Steam Earth 2160 Issue
2. Re: Steam Earth 2160 Issue Apr 15, 2009, 21:44 Ecthelion

It looks like Steam is no longer selling the game. I wonder if that's a temporary measure until they get the game fixed.  

News Comments > Steam GTAIV Patched
4. Re: Steam GTAIV Patched Apr 14, 2009, 16:41 Ecthelion

It's not bad, although it does perform poorly. I haven't played it in a while though, so it's possible the last few patches really help.

Personally, I found Saints Row 2 (PC) to be more fun than GTA4. They were both entertaining though.

News Comments > id the "Multiplatform Developer"
77. Re: id the Apr 13, 2009, 11:51 Ecthelion

You think George Lucas is happy the majority of Star Wars fans consider episode 1-2-3 to be a joke, even though he made a ton of money from them?
Judging from his actions, I'd say he doesn't give a flying flip about the hardcore fans who are still stuck in the 80's. And I'm not so sure about that "majority" of SW fans. I know quite a few lifelong SW fans who grew up with the original trilogy and that actually enjoy the new movies.

Besides, the younger generation of Star Wars fans have gobbled up everything Lucas has given them, including the Clone Wars stuff. So if Lucas wanted his creations to be well received by the community, he has succeeded.

As for software developers, I would agree that most of them take pride in their work, to a certain extent. At the end of the day, most of them are primarily concerned with bringing home the bacon. How else can you explain people like Dave Perry and Chris Taylor jumping on the MMO bandwagon?

1358 Comments. 68 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo