Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1414 (Pro)
User ID 15046

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2009, 22:46 Ecthelion

People really need to stop fucking whining about Horse Armor. It was released four years ago, and since then Bethesda has released a dozen (I believe) more DLCs, some of which were pretty bad, but others which have been fucking amazing. (Broken Steel and Point Lookout come to mind.)

Continuously harping on horse armor just makes you sound like a broken record.
Yeah, it's the gaming equivalent of continuing to refer to Microsoft as "M$" every time you mention them, years after it stopped being clever.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Downtime Tomorrow
9. Re: Steam Downtime Tomorrow Aug 5, 2009, 15:19 Ecthelion

It'd be interesting to see their usage statistics by country.
It's not quite what you're asking for, but you can see how many content servers are in each country.

Go to the following address, then click "View individual server statistics".
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/

News Comments > The Witcher Director's Cut & Patch
20. Re: The Witcher Director's Cut & Patch Jul 31, 2009, 18:16 Ecthelion

Thanks Ecthelion! I take it that you don't have to install patch 1.3 before installing the Enhanced Edition patch?
No, this isn't Company of Heroes.

17. Re: The Witcher Director's Cut & Patch Jul 31, 2009, 18:04 Ecthelion

Patching is a bit complex. The official webpage uses a Czech download site for the patches, so not everything is in English (on the site, the files themselves are all in English). It's probably easier to get them from the The Patches Scrolls link. Anyway, you'll want to do this:

1. Download the 900MB Enhanced Edition patch
2. Download the language pack you want (they're all in the 400+ MB range)
3. (Optional) Download the two adventure packs
4. Make sure all the files are in the same place, then run TWEE_Upgrade.exe (this takes a while but will get you the Enhanced Edition)
5. Download and install Patch 1.5
6. Download and install the Director's Cut patch

This site also lets you download the Soundtrack and bonus content for the Enhanced Edition (which includes making-of videos, and updated manual, strategy guide, and world maps).

I don't think you need the other patches on The Patches Scrolls, but I'm not sure. I'm ashamed to say I haven't had a chance to start playing yet, but I plan to soon.

EDIT: Creston, the link in my post will let you download all the files relating to the Enhanced Edition upgrade. Just keep in mind that the big yellow button is the Download button (it says something in Czech that I assume means "Download").

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2009, 18:07.

13. Re: The Witcher Director's Cut & Patch Jul 31, 2009, 16:52 Ecthelion

Edit: Ugh, $40 from impulse and steam (which doesn't have directors cut)?

I was thinking $20 would be max I would pay (although I'd probably be tempted even if it was a bit more). Hmm, maybe I'll try to pick up the retail version cheap somewhere maybe ebay.

If steam did a weekend sale for this even at $29 I'd probably jump on it at that price.

Newegg has the original version for $15. It patches up to the latest version and works fine with this Director's Cut patch.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2009, 16:52.

News Comments > C&C 4 Details
2. Re: C&C 4 Details Jul 29, 2009, 22:44 Ecthelion

The C&C games have never had a cap before... why do they think it's a good idea now?  

News Comments > Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Features
4. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Features Jul 28, 2009, 09:51 Ecthelion

When SR2 worked, it was great. My only problems with it were occasional framerate drops, and they weren't usually very bad.

I've always enjoyed Volition's games, so I'm definitely going to check this out. I'll probably wait to buy it on sale though, since I have more than enough games right now.

News Comments > PC Alan Wake up to MS
95. Re: PC Alan Wake up to MS Jul 16, 2009, 11:05 Ecthelion

I hope no one makes the mistake of thinking all PC-only gamers are like Jerykk. I don't play console games because I prefer the mouse and keyboard, because I actually enjoy gaming from a desk and don't care about playing with my friends sitting next to me, because console-only games (such as fighting games) don't really interest me, and because my limited gaming time is easily used up on the PC alone. I don't think PC gaming is inherently superior to console gaming - it just happens to be what I prefer.

I think there was something special about games in the 90's and early 2000's, but a lot of that is just nostalgia talking because that was when I did the majority of my gaming. In any case, I enjoy replaying old games, so I can experience my favorite "classics" anytime I want.

However, I also think there are still a lot of good games coming out now. Many of those are from smaller independent software teams, but I usually find the tradeoff between AAA polish and indie gameplay worthwhile. Even if Microsoft were to completely abandon PC gaming (and yes, they could do a lot more harm than they have already done) and games were no longer ported to the PC, I would be happy just playing indie and European games.

I accept the current gaming market for what it is. Console games are more profitable, so that's where the emphasis on development is. Complaining about it or yearning for the past isn't going to change anything.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2009, 11:05.

News Comments > Monkey Island: Special Edition Next Week
6. Re: Monkey Island: Special Edition Next Week Jul 9, 2009, 18:59 Ecthelion

I agree that it was probably a lot of work, but somehow I don't like the "upgrade". Probably for the same reason that I didn't like the graphics of Monkey Island 3.

1+2 had a pretty "normal" laid back style. Everything that came after that seemed too over the top. Monkey Island used to be really funny and those slapstick "look, this is funny" graphics just seem wrong. It is the difference between a really funny movie and some comedy tv show with a laughter track so that viewers know what is supposed to be funny.

I am not that excited about this. But if there is a demo I might check it out.
From the description on the Steam page: "Purists will also delight in the ability to seamlessly switch between the updated hand-drawn re-imagining and the original classic version."

News Comments > LucasArts Gets Steam Heat
19. Re: LucasArts Gets Steam Heat Jul 8, 2009, 15:43 Ecthelion

and star wars battle front for around $7 !
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Battlefront-Pc/dp/B000VVEMXY/
That's the first Battlefront, not the second. The sequel seems to be out of print on the PC.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2009, 15:44.

News Comments > On Alan Wake 2 PC
21. Re: On Alan Wake 2 PC Jul 7, 2009, 22:48 Ecthelion

For those of us who don't speak twitter/text message speak, wouldn't it make more sense for the title to be "On Alan Wake PC"? I thought this was about Alan Wake 2.  

News Comments > DiRT 2 Delayed for DirectX 11
47. Re: DiRT 2 Delayed for DirectX 11 Jul 7, 2009, 14:25 Ecthelion

We saw this in real-world practice with HL2 in DX 9 versus 10 modes. Slightly prettier water and HDR effects that over-saturated the colors -- meh.
When did HL2 get DX10 support?

News Comments > Aliens RPG Cancelled
3. Re: Aliens RPG Cancelled Jun 27, 2009, 11:54 Ecthelion

That's a shame... I was looking forward to seeing something besides a D&D RPG (although those are good too) from Obsidian.

I wonder if this will affect Fallout New Vegas or Alpha Protocol? I'm guessing those are being worked on by different teams, but maybe there was some overlap.

News Comments > ARMA II Demo
34. Re: ARMA II Demo Jun 25, 2009, 18:57 Ecthelion

Is anyone else having trouble with some of the textures not loading? Even on the highest settings the game doesn't look like the screenshots.  

News Comments > Command & Conquer 4 Details?
7. Re: Command & Conquer 4 Details? Jun 22, 2009, 22:43 Ecthelion

They should bring back MacNeil (played by Michael Bien) for this one. The storyline felt more personal when you had an actual face and name instead of having everyone call you "Commander."

As for the mobile base, maybe the "Crawler" can construct all unit/structure types by itself (along with the relevant tech buildings)?

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2009, 22:44.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Argos Naval Yard
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Argos Naval Yard Jun 17, 2009, 19:47 Ecthelion

The game doesn't seem to have a real website anymore. Can't find a demo on the Paradox site either. Guess I'll hunt around the file hosting sites for one.
As I already posted, the official Wiki site has links to the demos (at least the two most recent ones).

http://sots.rorschach.net/Demo

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2009, 19:59.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Argos Naval Yard
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Argos Naval Yard Jun 17, 2009, 15:06 Ecthelion

I suggest going to the official site for the demo. There are multiple demos available. The newest one offers more to try out, but it limits the total turns you can play.

I bought the Ultimate Collection on sale (it was $7.99 on GamersGate and Impulse) last weekend, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I played the first demo a little, and it seemed pretty good.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Ghostbusters
44. Re: Ships Ahoy - Ghostbusters Jun 17, 2009, 13:16 Ecthelion

I guess one way around the non-C drive issue would be to buy the Steam version, assuming you have a big enough drive or partition to handle all your Steam installs.

That is pretty bad though. I have often encountered software that installs certain files to C no matter where I install it, but those programs will still install the bulk of the app to the folder I select. That doesn't normally apply to games either (unless they need .NET or something). But from what I've read about this game, this is much worse. I know that it's been a few years since Terminal Reality developed a game for the PC (even a port), but they should know better.

News Comments > NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate DRM Limit Ends
10. Re: NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate DRM Limit Ends Jun 16, 2009, 14:56 Ecthelion

What really makes no sense is why remove the limit but retain the activation. Ossian claims in its forum post that the activation is still "necessary to prevent serial numbers from being posted to the web where hundreds or thousands of people can access it." However, if the installation limit truely has been lifted, then there would be nothing preventing hundreds or thousands of activations using the same serial number. Therefore, the activation is pointless for preventing that unless the limit is actually still in place but has instead been set to a higher number like 100 which Ossian doesn't think most customers will reach.
The only way that prevent piracy now (assuming the activation limit is really removed) would be if the module "phoned home" each time it was run to make sure that the serial number hadn't been activated on another computer.

I don't think it's that quite intrusive though, and even if it were, it would make their concern (read: excuse for not removing the DRM altogether) moot.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2009, 14:57.

News Comments > New ATI Drivers
6. Re: New ATI Drivers Jun 15, 2009, 18:21 Ecthelion

With each new release, I keep hoping the control center will add Aspect Ratio GPU Scaling to Windows7, but I guess I'll have to wait until Windows7 RTM's.  

1414 Comments. 71 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo