Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1483 (Pro)
User ID 15046

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
38. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2009, 14:47 Ecthelion

Still havent played very far into GTA4 on PC. Need to upgrade my CPU, which runs everything else just perfectly fine (Borderlands at 1920x1080), to run this CPU hog of a game.
I've played through it twice, once on Vista and once on the Windows 7 RC, but with the same hardware each time. The framerate on my Core 2 Duo is okay, but apparently it runs nearly flawlessly on quad core CPUs. I'm probably not going to upgrade my PC for a while, but when I do I'll be interested to see how much better GTA4 plays on a better CPU.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PC Gamer UK: Dragon Age "RPG of the Decade"
87. Re: DA Oct 30, 2009, 14:32 Ecthelion

Anyway, the idea of taking pictures of my gaming collection seems so nerdy yet appealing all at once. I've got about 250-300 cd cases in a couple of cd towers, but I think it would be cooler if I had saved all of the boxes and made some sort of geekish mosaic with them and photographed it! Damn the wife and her protestations about all the space my old game boxes took up.
I got around that obstacle (the Mrs.) by collapsing the boxes (except for the couple of boxes that were too thick to collapse) and storing them inside paper boxes. Now that we're finally moving into a house after years of apartment living, maybe I can find some space to show off those boxes.

Also, I could be wrong but I don't think Jerykk uses Steam at all. Pirates aren't big on DRM-wrapped download services, even for their legally acquired games. Besides, I'm fairly certain he's actually said he doesn't use Steam.

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2009, 14:32.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2009, 13:25 Ecthelion

I enjoyed GTA4 on the PC enough to be tempted to buy a Xbox360 for the new content. So far I've resisted... I'm still hoping that the new episodes will eventually get ported to the PC.  

News Comments > Force Feedback Bra
5. Re: Force Feedback Bra Oct 29, 2009, 17:44 Ecthelion

Something for gamers with moobs!
That's most of us, isn't it?

News Comments > ATI Ending DX9 Support for Many Cards
35. Re: ATI Ending DX9 Support for Many Card Oct 29, 2009, 11:03 Ecthelion

They offer great performance and value. I haven't come across any of the issues you describe when dealing with multi-monitor setups. Requiring .NET is a none issue - it provides additional functionality and Windows Update is there if any security issues appear (they appear for all aspects of the operating system). And Vista and Win7 both included .NET anyway.
Windows Update is a PITA pre-Vista, and dryden is running Windows XP. I've been updating some of our XP machines at work, and without WSUS running on the network, manual updating is a bitch (and as anyone in IT knows, even if users have access to Windows Update, they won't use it), especially since most of the .NET patches have to be done individually, requiring several reboots. I don't know why it took Microsoft so long to finally get Windows Update right, but it's probably the thing that annoys me the most about being stuck on XP workstations at work.

Still, .NET is required by so much software these days it's hard to believe you would only need it for the ATI Catalyst Control Center.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2009, 11:05.

News Comments > DirectX 11 for Vista Released
19. Re: DirectX 11 for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 10:33 Ecthelion

FYI, using "m$" makes you sound like the 13 year old child you probably are.
Some people can't move on from the 90's (back when it was cool to use that), it seems. If we weren't all a bunch of dorky computer enthusiasts here, I would suspect the people who still use "M$" probably have barb-wire tatoos too.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2009, 10:33.

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Oct 28, 2009, 10:18 Ecthelion

is this Witcher edition the totally uncensored edition? I'd like to get a copy if so. I was thinking of importing the Euro disc version of this but I will settle for the $20 sale.
Yes. A patch has been released which "uncensors" any version of the game, and it has been applied to the Steam version as well.

You won't notice until you're out of the prologue though (although I think the combat may have more blood and gore from the beginning). The first "sex card" is censored even in the uncensored version of the game. There are a few that are like that. Don't worry though, you'll get your precious boobage in the first chapter.

Son of a bitch. I'm sorely tempted to just buy the Witcher for 20 bucks on Steam, so I don't have to go through the 887,340 hours of patching required to turn my Uber Basic version into the Leet Hardcore version...
I know what you mean (wasn't I the one that told you how to patch the retail game, by the way?). Even though I had Windows 7 RTM several weeks ago (thanks to TechNet), I specifically waited until I was done with The Witcher to install Windows 7 so I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of patching it again.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2009, 10:21.

News Comments > PC Gamer UK: Dragon Age "RPG of the Decade"
69. Re: two acronyms: NWN OC. Oct 28, 2009, 10:13 Ecthelion

Then the evil characters (those murderous gnome and mage guys who would always banter between themselves) and the Drow Women which.. was really weird to keep (and no, you can not reform here to be a good drow ,p)
Actually, with the Throne of Bhaal expansion you could reform her to be neutral.

News Comments > DirectX 11 for Vista Released
16. Re: DirectX for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 08:56 Ecthelion

Games should install whatever they need when you install the game.
In my experience, most of them do. I haven't had to install DX9 when I installed the W7 RC or when I installed the RTM version. In both cases, I installed a Dx9 game fairly early on, and that game installed the full DX9 install automatically. It could be a Steam thing though... I've noticed that most of my more recent Steam games install DX9 before running for the first time.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2009, 10:58 Ecthelion

Seems slightly more stable/faster, too, but that might just be my eyes foolin' me.
It seems that way to me too.

Another thing I noticed is that Neverwinter Nights 2 works correctly now. Playing NWN2 on the RC required mucking about with one of the DirectX system files, and I'm fairly certain Obsidian didn't patch the game in between the RC and the retail release of Win7.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Oct 22, 2009, 22:23 Ecthelion

I have a decent card that plays current games acceptably on high settings. But even with the graphics turned down, RFG freezes at times (and sometimes it remains frozen until a reboot). I think it's just poor optimization. Apparently a lot of people are having issues with it, but they may just be ATI users like me.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2009, 22:24.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Oct 22, 2009, 20:52 Ecthelion

$20 for Red Faction: Guerilla?! Stunned

Damn. That's a helluva buy.
It's a fun game but I stopped playing it until a patch comes out. It keeps stuttering for me to the point of unplayability no matter how I tweak the settings (I've even tried some of the more interesting suggestions on various forums). Saints Row 2 was never that bad for me.

News Comments > New ATI Reference Drivers
8. Re: New ATI Reference Drivers Oct 22, 2009, 20:21 Ecthelion

Heh, I checked the thread at the same time that it worked. I'm wondering if it was failing because I didn't have Java installed at the time (I'm busy doing a Win7 install right now). Thanks though.
I'm on a fresh Win7 install also, and I don't have Java either. It worked fine for me though.

6. Re: New ATI Reference Drivers Oct 22, 2009, 19:02 Ecthelion

Bah. The driver page keeps giving me an error (in both FF and IE) when I try to get the 4800 series driver for Win7 64. Anyone got a direct link?
It looks like a direct link won't work.

It sucks that it doesn't work for some people, but in my years of owning ATI cards (my last Nvidia card was a GeForce4), I have never had a problem downloading drivers (and I upgrade each time a new driver is released). Weird.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2009, 19:05.

3. Re: New ATI Reference Drivers Oct 22, 2009, 15:33 Ecthelion

The drivers page also links to the 9.9 AVIVO package, when the page mentions a 9.10 version.

EDIT: It's fixed now.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2009, 15:44.

News Comments > WoW Mouse Levels Up
6. Re: WoW Mouse Levels Up Oct 21, 2009, 16:40 Ecthelion

Quite possibly one of the worst statements I have ever seen on this site.
That means a lot considering some of your posts.

News Comments > WoW Mouse Levels Up
2. Re: WoW Mouse Levels Up Oct 21, 2009, 15:21 Ecthelion

That genre has spawned all sorts of ridiculous words and phrases. I blame it for all that's wrong with Western civilization.

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2009, 15:22.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 21, 2009, 14:20 Ecthelion

How to prep for an XP to Windows 7 upgrade :

step 1 : Wait for MS to finally make that fucking family pack available.

step 2 : goto 1.

End of line.
According to this, it will be available starting tomorrow (tomorrow is the retail launch of Windows 7 if I'm not mistaken). I don't know why it's not listed on Amazon and other sites and ads for preorder though.

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2009, 14:32.

News Comments > US PC Sales
2. Re: US PC Sales Oct 20, 2009, 20:07 Ecthelion

So it's all casual games and MMOs. How depressing...

I guess September was a lean month for game releases, but it would still be nice to see a "real" game up there.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2009, 20:08.

News Comments > On Sale
17. Re: On Sale Oct 18, 2009, 02:30 Ecthelion

I've been a big fan of GoGamer ever since I ordered Jedi Outcast from them back in 2002. I may have used them before that, but that's the first game I specifically remember ordering from them.

Who cares what those percentages represent? Just go to the site and see what the actual price is. Their 48-Hour Madness sales are worth checking out regularly anyway.

1483 Comments. 75 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo