Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1453 (Pro)
User ID 15046
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2015, 15:10 Ecthelion
Jivaro wrote on Nov 20, 2015, 11:45:
Ecthelion wrote on Nov 20, 2015, 11:08:
The Wii U has some really great games, as long as you like Nintendo's games..

While it's true that the best reason to get a Wii U is the Nintendo owned franchises the priority game for me to buy in the event I do get a Wii U is Bayonetta 2...which isn't a Nintendo franchise. Loved the first one on PS3.
Technically that is true, but Nintendo funded Bayonetta 2 so I guess I was lumping it into the Wii U's first party games. It's actually a third party game but the Wii U has so few of those that it's easy to throw it into the same pile as the Yoshi, Mario, and Kirby games.

Bayonetta 2 is a great deal on Wii U, since it includes the first game as well (which was updated to include Nintendo costumes). I'm still going through the first game on Wii U but the second is apparently just as good. I'm a big fan of Platinum Games in general. I even like their budget games like Legend of Korra. I haven't played them all yet but the ones I have played have all been great. The Wii U actually has another Platinum game called Wonderful 101 that is very different from Bayonetta but very cool all the same.

PHJF wrote on Nov 20, 2015, 12:58:
You're not missing out on much. I can't really compare between the PS4 and the Xbone, since I don't have a PS4, but while the Xbone works for everything I want it to (Amazon streaming, Netflix streaming, watching Blu-Rays), it's pretty slow in getting to these apps.

One of the most annoying functions of the PS4 is mandatory system updates to "access network features". I fucking hate sitting down to stream something FROM MY HOME NETWORK and being required to sit through an update.
I don't think there is a single device out there that doesn't do streaming without annoyances. My PS3 works really well (it's my primary Blu-ray player since I have a HDCP bypass for it but not for the PS4, and my Xbox One just shows a black screen for Blu-rays which may also be HDCP), but the damn Netflix app always loses my login credentials (and my Netflix password is too long to remember); I'm not sure if that is from doing updates or something else, since I often go long periods of time between trying to use Netflix on the PS3. My yeah-old smart Samsung TV is great, but the damn IR remote is horribly unresponsive (my Logitech Harmony seems to be better than the TV remote but I still have to deal with the poor menus), and a few months back Samsung did an update that adds layers to the menus, making it harder to get to USB files and such. The Fire Stick in our other room (with our old non-smart TV that the Samsung replaced) works well but the menu could be a lot better. I actually won an Apple TV device at a IT event but the damn thing doesn't support Amazon Instant Video so I never bothered opening it.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2015, 11:08 Ecthelion
Jivaro wrote on Nov 20, 2015, 10:44:
Verno wrote on Nov 20, 2015, 10:19:
I don't think we need a second console in the house anymore so I'll probably be skipping the Xbox One entirely this gen. Between Steam, the girlfriends Wii U and the PS4 we're more than covered.

Same. We haven't moved from Wii to Wii U yet though. We were waiting to see if the grandkids starting asking for it, which they haven't yet. They want to play on our smartphones and tablets instead.

I guess that means I have to buy a Wii U for me....darn...
The Wii U has some really great games, as long as you like Nintendo's games (lucky for me, I do). There are also at least a handful of great exclusive "indie" games like Affordable Space Adventures (which IMO makes the best use of the Wii U Gamepad of any game, including AAA first-party games), and a good selection of multiplatform indie games. Usually I prefer those multiplatform games on my PS4 or Vita, but it's nice to have the option on the Wii U. You can also completely replace the Wii with the Wii U (as long as you aren't still playing Gamecube games, although there are unofficial solutions for that too), since it plays all Wii games.

I went ahead and grabbed the Xbox One last Black Friday, but I have to admit it mostly collects dust. If you love Halo, Forza, and/or other Microsoft franchises it's probably worth it. As stupid as it probably sounds, I don't regret buying it mostly to play Sunset Overdrive, because that game rocks. I do have a lot of games for it (mostly the free Games with Gold games) but I spend most of my gaming time on the PS4 now that I finished Sunset Overdrive.

Most people probably don't really need multiple consoles, but I do like having access to all the available games. I just prefer the PS4 for the most part.
2. Re: That's cute. Nov 6, 2015, 11:33 Ecthelion
Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 10:20:
The PS4 is 25% of the way to overtaking Prez.
Even the PS2 (the best selling console of all time) only made it to just under 2500 games.

It's hard to compete with the PC or mobile, where anybody can make a game and publish it digitally.
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 5, 2015, 16:09 Ecthelion
Tumbler wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 13:18:
deqer wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 11:55:
I feel sorry for the new generation of kids coming into this world with microtransactions already in place, and thus kids will believe this is normal.

In a $60 game micro transactions are despicable. I can think of instances where they aren't that bad, cosmetic items for example, but in the end if all feels like content that was deliberately cut from the core game rather than additional stuff added to the game.

Larger chunks of content like "The ballad of Gay Tony" are fine but I don't think we can call them microtransactions and they often don't come out until months or years after the initial game. And I think that is why so many companies want to use microtransations. The best time to hit up your consumer for extra dollars is right after your big release. The hype and excitement make it easier to spend money. You wait a few weeks or months after even if what you're offering is great a lot of people probably won't be interested. That's why they sell these season passes now, excited about our new game? Don't you want all the content? It can be yours now* for only $30, no, $40, wait, no $50! dollars.

*now - actually means later, way way later and not sure what we're giving you but it'll be AWESOME!!!! Would we take your money otherwise!?
Sad but true. Also, it's not a knock against you, but rather a sad comment on the current state of gaming that you don't know what a microtransaction is.

The Ballad of Gay Tony is most certainly not a microtransaction, because it's not "micro". It's in the $10 plus price range like most substantial DLC. It's what we PC gamers used to call "Expansions" (which were sometimes free back in the day, but certainly not always as some people with poor memory claim). Microtransactions are usually 99 cents (or bundled together to be higher), and them being what they are has nothing to do with when they are released but rather their price point. They are usually associated with timesaving functionality, or in the case of crappy smartphone games, decreasing the wait between play sessions (which is an awful gameplay mechanic from hell that also isn't going away).

The confusion probably stems from things like the "Motherbase Coins" you can buy in Metal Gear Solid V, which if you buy the biggest pack costs $99 I believe. That's not really a MICROtransaction but it probably gets lumped in that category because it's just a massively bigger version of the 99 cent stuff.

Personally, I enjoy expansion-style DLC like Ballad of Gay Tony. That kind of stuff is worth $10 to me. Even the Batgirl DLC for Arkham Knight was okay for its price. Usually I prefer longer length for that price but it was enough to make me feel the price was worth it. Skins and other cosmetic stuff aren't usually worth it, and true microtransactions are even worse.

I am tired of the whole microtransaction nonsense but I can't see it going away. It's earning lots of money for the publishers so why would they kill it? As long as there are people saying "hell, it's only 99 cents, I can afford that" and don't think it through that buying it 100 times costs 100 dollars, the trend will continue. To me it seems to be the natural extension of the same marketing mindset that prices things at $4.99 so that people think it's only 4 bucks. It's the same thing taken to ridiculous extremes. And it's working.

Another sad thing is that many of the companies that used to make great meaty, expansion-style DLC, have moved to microtransactions. Look at Rockstar. GTA4 had two lengthy DLC expansions, and RDR had one. Then GTA5 had microtransactions and now they have backtracked from their original promise of story expansions. It looks like they have decided it's not worth the effort since they're making money on the microtransactions.

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2015, 16:23.
7. Re: The New Xbox One Experience Launches In 10 Days Nov 3, 2015, 18:49 Ecthelion
deqer wrote on Nov 3, 2015, 14:18:
Microsoft has lacked the experience and talent to operate a business (like most businesses in the world) for more than 20 years now, and this example obviously proves it.

Blue's comment "Not used to the old new experience yet." is spot on. This comment applies to many things in life, and it's due to business greed that the business ignores this comment, due to greed (re-brand, re-release, and provide cover story (to the public) to hide behind).

On top of that -- if you didn't know, Microsoft's employees are not as experienced as you're lead to believe.

It's unfortunate, because you (the customer) end up paying the price for that, while Microsoft just gulps it up and moves on.

Sure, they made Windows. But that means nothing. Really.
Microsoft's bread-and-butter is Office, not Windows. I mean sure they get lots of money from OEM licenses of Windows that consumers and businesses buy, but it's Office where they have a clear lock on the market. I know people like to pretend that they don't need Word or Excel anymore, but that's nuts. In the business world at least, Excel and Powerpoint are as essential as they ever were. Windows could get surpassed by Linux (not likely, but I'm bringing up the possibility), and Microsoft would still sell tons of Office licenses thanks to all their government, school, and business contracts.

There are certainly areas where Microsoft makes some very questionable decisions, but Office is still going strong.

The Xbox One interface could be a lot better. It is not totally unusable but the PS4 one is a lot better (although I still prefer the groups you could do on the PS3 to make organizing dozens of games possible). So it's hard to imagine how the upcoming interface change could be anything but an improvement.
22. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 30, 2015, 09:18 Ecthelion
descender wrote on Oct 29, 2015, 17:51:
The issue is that MS and Sony are greedy fucks.
They no longer wanted to sell the hardware at a loss. They wanted to earn money from each console sale from day one so they put extra cheap and crappy parts inside.

Just think about that again for like... 2 seconds...

Those greedy fucks running a for-profit business! The nerve!
That argument is arguably moot anyway, because the PS4 and XBox One were originally sold at a tiny profit, meaning their basically permanent price drops result in them selling at a loss after the initial release window. Of course the manufacturing costs may have come down a bit, but I don't know how certain that is. At the very least, we know that both consoles were sold at a very small profit during their release windows, which at least for the Xbox One, was not where the bulk of the sales came from. The Xbox One started selling after the price drop around Black Friday 2014.

Console costs

PS4 at Gamestop

Xbox One at Gamestop

That's Gamestop too, hardly the cheapest price around.
News Comments > Out of the Blue
68. Re: Out of the Blue -SW trailer Oct 21, 2015, 12:25 Ecthelion
Bub wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 06:52:
I missed Lost when it was broadcast, and recently binge watched the entire 6 years and loved it. I can see now why Hollywood wants to throw everything in Abram's lap. He did a great job with the Star Trek reboots and that is coming from a dyed-in-the-wool Treky.

The SW Trailer looks like he is re-igniting the excitement and wonder of the SW universe, where as Lucas became bored and just went through the motions on the last few. Looking forward to this holiday season.
I never tried Lost, I guess I listened to the naysayers too much. My wife and I did thoroughly enjoy Alias though, at least until the fantasy mythology got ramped up to really stupid levels.

I hated the Trek reboots at first, but I have come to enjoy and accept them for what they are, Trek for a new generation. That's what the SW prequels are too, but Lucas went a little too far into kiddie territory with Phantom Menace and never fully recovered. Abrams does a good job as long as the writing is good. The first Trek reboot had one of the least-believable villains of the series, and the second one borrowed/stole too much from TWoK. They were still fun, but hopefully we'll have better writing next time. Not that the series has a great history; the movies veered too far from the TV series' formula and turned into Kirk and Picard trying to be action stars.

nin wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 21:26:
Vall Forran wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 21:00:
Did the new season of Rebels start?

Last week, I think (not counting the "movie")? Second episode should be tomorrow or Thur, can't remember. I stream them from disneyxd on the weekends (until they're available on disc).

They aren't making the episodes available for streaming for FREE are they? Is it only available for people with a TV subscription to the channel or something? This past Star Wars Day they were supposed to make all the episodes so far available for free but I never got it to work.

And damn, I didn't realize how out-of-order the 2nd and 3rd season episodes were. That being said, many of those aren't that critical to see in chronological order. IIRC, the Zillo Beast story arc is almost completely self-contained.

As far as 2D/3D question goes, I've seen two movies in 3D and I hated the experience. It strains my eyes and the 3D effect is not something I care about at all.

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2015, 12:33.
44. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 20, 2015, 16:37 Ecthelion
DangerDog wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 16:35:
I could only see pre-ordering tickets to a movie if I also get to pick my seat, I did the first day thing for movies before and ended up in the sore neck section in the front row. Never again.
I was one of the last people to arrive for my showing of Revenge of the Sith, and I had a front row seat next to a kid. I don't regret it for a minute though, it beats waiting in line the day before.

Also, I saw several theaters in the Washington DC area offered reserved seating, so that might be an option for you.

Drayth wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 13:52:
Ecthelion wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 13:05:
Stuff I agree with...

Pretty much same boat for me.. I started watching CW's after it finished. A few episodes in and I bought a season 1-5 blu ray set and watched them based on the chronological order list on I don't know why Lucas + tv ='s anthology, he did the same with Indiana Jones chronicles... though, thinking about it, having to suffer through all the little kid episodes of that show would have been rough. The later years ones with the WW I stuff were amazing.

Anyways, I finished season 5 on a Saturday and the "Lost Missions" semi-season 6 disc was on it's way still, but I was like "F it" and resubbed to Netflix to watch it there that night.

I prefer watching via box sets for the better video / audio quality and having all the episodes to binge off of.

And yeah, saw the early season 2 long episode. Loved it.

I also love that both shows keep continuity with even the video games. There was some KotoR stuff, and the Trandoshan weapons they've shown look *exactly* like they did in Republic Commandos.
The Lost Missions Blu-rays have a 4-episode bonus story on Disc 2, so you may still want to check that out. They are not fully animated (I previewed the first episode and the characters were sliding along the floor like chess pieces), but the voices and sound effects are apparently fully completed. I haven't watched it yet but reviews have said it's one of the better stories of the mini-season.

I watched the CW episodes in airdate order, but I know there were a few episodes that took place out of aired order as you said. I can think of two off the top of my head.

I wonder if Rebels will feature any of the Interdictor cruisers from the SW games (and the novels IIRC)? So far the idea of a ship able to block hyperdrive has been missing from on-screen canon, and it makes it pretty easy for ships to jump blockades and such.
40. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 20, 2015, 16:28 Ecthelion
BobBob wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 13:49:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 13:36:
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
7:00 PM | Thursday, December 17, 2015
RealD 3D

Almost fell out of my chair. Did not believe I would get one.

I put in my PTO request for 12/17 and 12/18. Star Wars weekend!

PTO for a movie?!?

PTO = Travel to real places or doing something extraordinary IMHO.

Seeing a Star Wars movie in the theater IS doing something extraordinary.

That being said, I see several people going for 3D. I thought everybody hated that fad? Anyway, I checked my area and the closest theaters are about an hour away. I don't really feel like braving Washington DC traffic for that. I think I'll chance it in my local theater when they go on sale (most likely for same day tickets), and of course I will go with glorious 2D. I probably won't get the first showing but if it's that weekend I'll still be happy.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2015, 16:35.
19. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Oct 20, 2015, 13:05 Ecthelion
Drayth wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 12:11:
Ecthelion wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 12:05:
Check out Star Wars Rebels.

Already watched first season. I'm on board with this animated series stuff after seeing what they pulled off with CW's. First 3'rd of all the seasons start off with lighter, just ok stuff then get really interesting (and dark in CW's case from S3 on) for the rest.
I have to be honest, I was not feeling super confident in the show after seeing the artwork with Ezra and his energy slingshot (and I still think his new weapon is slightly silly), but the 4 webisodes were fun. When the season finished I listened to my inner SW fan and decided to dive in. It started off a little slow, but it's become really good.

I grabbed the Blu-rays and though it's more than I typically pay for a season (not up into BBC or HBO territory though), I don't regret it at all. Did you see the Season 2 special "movie" episode? You want dark, there's your episode. I though it was great, although part of me wanted the "main villain" to kick even more ass. Sadly I don't have the Disney Channel so I have to get the new episodes of the show by other means. I already know I'll get the Season 2 Blu-rays, so I really wish that companies would offer a way to pre-order the season and then get access to each new episode as it airs, for us cable-cutters. Right now the only way to do that is by buying the season digitally, say from Amazon. But I want the discs, with the special features and the ability to loan them out, etc. It seems to me that good money could be made if this type of service was available.

How cool was the short appearance of Vader at the end of Season 1, with the Vader breath audio closing? That ranks up there with some of the coolest moments from the movies IMO. Lando, Tarkin, and Vader were all great, but I did think the C3PO and R2D2 appearance was slightly contrived. Still, it's not like it actively bothered me, I just thought the later appearances were handled better. Also, Ahsoka seems to be a regular member of the cast (or at least a recurring character) now, which is cool. I'm still getting used to her new appearance but the character is great either way.

I know everybody was theorizing that Ahsoka would be killed at the end of CW, but they came up with a big twist to avoid that. Now most of us fans are no doubt thinking the same thing: that Ezra, Kanan, and Ahsoka are going to get killed by the time the show finishes. Dave Filoni knows what he's doing, so hopefully he will come up with a good finish to the show, and with Disney fully embracing the Original Trilogy era there is no reason for them to cancel Rebels (except maybe low viewer numbers) before it runs its course. It would be cool to see some of the other CW loose ends (besides Ahsoka) be dealt with too, even if it's just a mention. For example, I think Maul could be dealt with by a flashback to his "real" death, we don't really need to see him again in a story arc IMO. And yes, I read the comic series version of the canceled 6th season CW story with Maul, but it did not deal with his final fate.

nin wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 12:19:
Rebels is fantastic. They really captured the feeling of what Star Wars is.
Yes, that's the best way to put it. CW was great but had a slightly different feel. There's something magical about seeing Rebels with its stormtroopers with poor aim, and TIE Fighters blowing up. I also love how they use a lot of the OT music, and losing the CW narrator was the right call. It fit perfectly with the theme of the Clone Wars ongoing war, but it would feel out of place in Rebels.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2015, 13:14.
15. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Oct 20, 2015, 12:05 Ecthelion
Drayth wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 11:56:
I believe they were starting to get in to how the Clone's strain was starting to decay or something in the latter part of The Clone Wars (explaining why they stopped using clones). I don't remember too clearly because I basically marathoned the last two seasons of that show in one day in a delirious, unplanned addictive need to keep watching. Never expected that show to get that good.
Check out Star Wars Rebels. It confirms that stormtroopers are not cloned anymore, and it gets really good by the end of the first season. It does have a whiny teen, but let's be honest, Luke was only a little better more than that in A New Hope. The show has the same producer as Clone Wars so it should get really good in the next few seasons. It will be interesting to see how the show "removes" the remaining Jedi before A New Hope (unless we're going to be stupid and interpret Yoda saying "no, there is another" to mean "no, there are several others"). There are already some great originally trilogy character appearances too.
14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 20, 2015, 11:57 Ecthelion
I liked Star Wars before it was cool! I mean, I liked it after it was cool and then not cool, but before it was cool again!

I'm really excited for the new movie. Even if it's not as good as the original trilogy, watching a Star Wars movie for the first time in the theater is always a special event. Sadly I was too young to see the original trilogy in the theater (I was born in 1980), but I did see the 90's re-releases that way, as well as the prequels in the theater.

Hopefully the new film series (and spinoffs) will lead to some good new games. I like the LEGO games but I would love to get something along the lines of KOTOR or Jedi Knight 2 again. Enough of these MMOs and smartphone trash games.

I like how JJ Abrams doesn't spoil the entire movie with his marketing and trailers, but still I'm avoiding the trailers from here on out. The last full trailer (the one with the Han/Chewie reveal) was the last thing I watched.
News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 13, 2015, 22:33 Ecthelion
Julio wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 19:23:
I guess they really think that people read Playboy for the articles. This redesign will probably result in flaccid sales. A win for political correctness and the end of an era.
News flash, not EVERYTHING is about the world trying to emasculate men, or whatever nonsense you believe. Ugh. I will give you a point for the penis reference though, kudos.

This is a business decision, pure and simple. It's supported by Hugh Hefner for crissakes; he's one of the last people you could ever accuse of being politically correct.

And in honor of the unexpected but understandable decision, I present this clip of a more simple time, when magazines were still popular (including our old beloved PC gaming magazines) and Adam Sandler was at least a little funny. And of course the month is correct as well.
News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 5, 2015, 12:27 Ecthelion
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 07:23:
The worst problem with GTA5 is the whiny stupid npc's. If I could have killed Michael's kids, Wade's brother or Lamar I would have done so. MANY MANY times over.
What? I want a game where I play as Lamar; he was the best character in the whole game! For me he was the comic relief, not a whiny bitch.

That said, I agree about Michael's kids being annoying. Of course that was the whole point, since GTA games are always parodies of modern life taken to ridiculous extremes. Michael's kids are today's narcissistic youths, they just have the "spoiled with rich parents" aspect as well. GTA6 will probably have hipsters with selfie sticks.

Also, on the subject of Single Player DLC, Rockstar and Take Two have backpedaled on their earlier promise of making more story content.

It's also nice to see MGS5 so high on the list. I don't think I've ever had so much fun in a game sandbox before.
News Comments > Quote of the Day
37. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 30, 2015, 11:43 Ecthelion
InBlack wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 03:32:
Lastly, some of us want to support our platform of choice, we want it to become what it used to be. I can't think of a better way than boycotting console releases and purchasing only PC games.
Good luck with that. I don't think Microsoft is going to be looking at Halo 5 sales and crying about potential lost sales from PC-only gamers. Ditto with Take-Two and RDR. I understand wanting to stick to principles but in this case they aren't going to do much.

The problem is, as consoles become less attractive to publishers (who love the smartphone/tablet market because of all that microtransaction BS and much lower development costs), so does the PC.

Anyway, regarding controllers, I felt the same way for over a decade. I started with the Commodore 64 with a joystick and a NES with its gamepad, but I moved to the PC before consoles starting getting controllers with analog sticks (not joysticks, that is). I thought I could never adapt, but I managed to do so in less than a month once I finally got a PS3 and started going through all the games the PC never got.
News Comments > Quote of the Day
33. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 29, 2015, 19:39 Ecthelion
Beamer wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 19:04:
Also, at this point, it baffles me that we still have "PC gamers" and "Xbox gamers" and whatever.

I understand making a choice for financial reasons, but many here make them for personal. Great games come out for all systems, I'll never get restricting yourself to one for anything other than cost reasons.
I didn't buy my PS3 just to play RDR, but it was a nice bonus. I didn't get the system until the game had been out for a while, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

On the subject of story and characters, I think Rockstar has always struggled making good characters. They are great at making ridiculous over-the-top stereotypes, but few of them are actually relatable and likable. People also seem to always remember past games in a more positive light compared to the current game. I do think GTA5 broke the pattern somewhat, but I have seen some comments liking GTA4 more. The main thing I remember though, was everybody hating GTA San Andreas compared to Vice City, which I still don't understand. Personally I found CJ's family and friends story focus to be much more enjoyable and relatable than Vice City's Scarface rehash (plus Samuel L Jackson, nuff said). I don't see how gangbanger BS is any less valid or sillier than drug mogul BS. Maybe most gamers secretly want to be drug lords?

Anyway, I think RDR was one of the better story efforts by Rockstar. The backstory was good, and the ending was bittersweet and done really well. The characters also seemed more real, especially with one of the main villains being more of a shade of gray than usual with Rockstar. You usually don't regret killing targets in GTA games, and I had mixed feelings about the person I'm talking about in RDR. The stereotypes were still there, especially in all the ignorant "white folk" (e.g. the hunter going after Bigfoot). I really enjoyed it. It's probably too late for Rockstar to consider a next-gen port, but if they did, a PC version would be almost inevitable.
News Comments > Life is Strange Episode 5 Next Month
15. Re: Life is Strange Episode 5 Next Month Sep 22, 2015, 09:22 Ecthelion
yuastnav wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 05:11:
ItBurn wrote on Sep 21, 2015, 20:25:
So I started this game because everyone gushes about it. I don't like it at all. It's boring as hell, every character is unlikable and the mechanics are glitchy and painful. I've been playing with my GF, because she's not a gamer and I thought that she could like it, but she doesn't either.

Max is sooo whiny and boring and makes the worst decisions possible. It's really frustrating playing her and being forced into obviously dumb situations. The writing's pretty bad sometimes too. Characters say things that literally don't make any sense and everyone carries on like nothing happened. The time thing is neat, but the application is terrible. It glitches all the time. Once, I rewinded and it showed me a totally different scene for no reason. Also you're forced to watch really long scripted sequences several times...

Anyway, we've done the first two episodes and basically decided to give up and play other, better games in this genre.

I actually feel that way about a lot of games. I'm not sure but I think it was particularly bad in Dragon Age Origins where during a dialogue none of the options that I was given made any friggin' sense and it would have been much easier to say something completely different, which also would have resolved the situation much better.

Any game with different dialogue options will have that.

With that said, Life is strange hasn't been so bad in that respect so far and I enjoyed the game greatly. Really looking forward to the finale.
For me, that was Walking Dead Season 2. I hate the second-to-last "decision" with an absolute passion, where you're forced to choose between two opposite choices (with no middle ground), with stupid consequences either way.

Maybe I would have liked it more if I watched the show, but it seemed so artificial and like lazy writing to me.

I really enjoyed Season 1, and although it had some stupid choices, none of them pissed me off like the ending of Season 2.
News Comments > Life is Strange Episode 5 Next Month
3. Re: Life is Strange Episode 5 Next Month Sep 21, 2015, 21:17 Ecthelion
ItBurn wrote on Sep 21, 2015, 20:25:
So I started this game because everyone gushes about it. I don't like it at all. It's boring as hell, every character is unlikable and the mechanics are glitchy and painful. I've been playing with my GF, because she's not a gamer and I thought that she could like it, but she doesn't either.

Max is sooo whiny and boring and makes the worst decisions possible. It's really frustrating playing her and being forced into obviously dumb situations. The writing's pretty bad sometimes too. Characters say things that literally don't make any sense and everyone carries on like nothing happened. The time thing is neat, but the application is terrible. It glitches all the time. Once, I rewinded and it showed me a totally different scene for no reason. Also you're forced to watch really long scripted sequences several times...

Anyway, we've done the first two episodes and basically decided to give up and play other, better games in this genre.

I haven't tried this one yet but I'm hoping it lives up to the hype.

That being said, if you like the genre have you tried Wolf Among Us? It's great, and it got me to start reading the also-great Fables comics series.
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 18, 2015, 13:17 Ecthelion
Verno wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 12:57:
Damned shame to see Konami go out like this

At least MGSV is a high note to end on, but it's still sad.
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 15, 2015, 20:06 Ecthelion
IAMLIT_REFLEX wrote on Sep 15, 2015, 14:07:
Basically.... I laugh at any video card that can't handle pretty much anything in 1080P like a breeze. I find it hilarious that Sony was willing to invest god only knows how much money into the Cell processor for the PS3 and yet just can't handle giving people a decent console with the Playstation 4.

Laptop processor cores... from AMD... and a video card where 1080 is the MAXIMUM and not the MINIMUM!!!! Imagine that...
I'm sure cost is part of the equation, but I think overheating is the biggest factor. Sticking a powerful video card in a relatively small box that most people stick in a cabinet with zero airflow, would lead to lots of dead consoles and (unfair as it might be) bad press. Both Xbox and Playstation had hardware issues last generation (at least with the launch models), so I'm sure one of their main goals was to make a more stable system this generation.

Also, some internet searching reveals that both the PS4 and XBox One are already sold at a loss, even with their 1080p max performance. Sony and Microsoft aren't stupid, there is only so much loss they want to take.
1453 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo