Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1483 (Pro)
User ID 15046

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2016, 09:15 Ecthelion

nin wrote on Feb 11, 2016, 23:01:
Ecthelion wrote on Feb 11, 2016, 22:51:
* Seriously, I have tried to get into Pokemon games at least 3 times and I never make it past the first few boss battles. I don't know what it is, but I always lose interest.

I have the same problem with the first Witcher game. As a completest, I want the full story (so I should start at the beginning!). And I've tried to make it through W1 at least 3 times now, and never complete it.

I've finally just moved on to Witcher 3, and it's a vast improvement. And I've also implemented a rule where, if I have to try more than 3 times to make it through a game, it just ain't happening, and I need to move on.

I had much higher tolerance for less-polished games back when W1 came out, so I forced myself through it. But I could never get far in the second game for whatever reason. I bought the third but haven't worked up the motivation to start it yet.

I like your policy, it's a good idea.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2016, 22:51 Ecthelion

nin wrote on Feb 11, 2016, 16:55:
Creston wrote on Feb 11, 2016, 16:51:
Ecthelion wrote on Feb 11, 2016, 10:30:
Every time I'm stupid enough to go into Gamestop,

Well there's your problem.

Yeah, respectfully, that rates up there with "every time I slam my dick in a car door..." - don't DO that!

How else am I supposed to get rare Pokemon that I'll never use*? Jeez, everyone's a critic!

* Seriously, I have tried to get into Pokemon games at least 3 times and I never make it past the first few boss battles. I don't know what it is, but I always lose interest.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2016, 10:30 Ecthelion

Creston wrote on Feb 11, 2016, 10:01:
Can't read it here at work, but judging by the title I'd say that that's pretty accurate as far as I'm concerned. I have literally zero desire to play competitive stuff online anymore, but I do lurve me some strategy.

Same here. I was never very competitive (we were a "music" family, not a "sports" family as I was growing up), but what little bit I had dropped as I got older. Every time I'm stupid enough to go into Gamestop, they try to sell me the latest CoD clone ("but this one is different! It's so innovative!"), and I always have to tell them I'm not into those kinds of games. Then they always go with the angle that "this one has a story", which is never true.

Thankfully I learned a while back to not even try primarily multiplayer games anymore, and spare myself the disappointment. Co-op is still fun, but my one co-op buddy is never around when I am, so it's mostly single player for me. And strategy is fun, even if it's just strategizing how to approach an enemy camp in open world games like Far Cry 4 and MGS5.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 9, 2016, 19:27 Ecthelion

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Feb 9, 2016, 13:54:
That is one of the most asinine articles I've read in a while. I still see so many iPhone 4s' in the wild... that's a phone released in 2011. Considering the rate of progress, it's pretty impressive a phone form 5 years ago can still function quite well today,

Apple and others created large phone because people like me want them, not because of some conspiracy to screw over customers.
Yeah, it's interesting that the article only focuses on the physical adjustments in going to a larger phone without ANY mention of the improvements a larger screen offers (besides a passing mention of a larger screen showing more text). There is more room for home screen app icons, better website display because of the larger size, and most importantly to me, better text input.

I've always been an Android fan, and when I had to use an iPhone 4 (and later 5) at work, it was tough. I hated and still hate the smaller size and terrible on-screen keyboard (mainly because it's too small). When I use my wife's iPhone 6s on occasion, I finally have an acceptable typing experience. I still prefer Android with its better keyboard support (e.g. key swiping), but at least the 6s is big enough to make typing not that aggravating.

I have never seen people complaining that larger phones are too hard to hold or drop. At my work we've seen more iPhone4's and 5's get dropped than 6's. The only complaint I see on larger phones is that they won't fit in a pocket. There is a delicate balance there, which is why I don't use a Note. Also, the writer claims 4.3" is the largest a phone can get before it's awkward, but right before that he says his precious older iPhone was 4.5". So he's not even consistent.

There is an argument to be made that phone manufacturers want you to buy a new phone. Of course they do. But there is little evidence that they are forcing upgrades by increasing screen size. New features can tempt consumers, but it's not like Apple and Samsung are adding an inch with every generation. It's just not happening that fast, and Apple held off on increasing screen size for a long time (and no I don't count making the iPhone 5 taller than the 4).

News Comments > LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens Announced
19. Re: LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens Announced Feb 3, 2016, 13:39 Ecthelion

GinRummy wrote on Feb 2, 2016, 19:52:
Although you could argue that saying "The Good Three" versus "The Sucky Three" but then people would bring up that the third movie in each series is not the same quality as to lump it with the other two. Now we got a seventh and everything is higgly piggly!
You're right, the third in the prequel trilogy was worse than the other two, and the third in the original trilogy was better than the other two.

I'll let myself out.

Seriously though, I do like Sith the least of the prequels and Jedi the most of the OT. I know that's not the majority view, and I'm not a hipster who hates everything "everyone else" likes. That's just my personal preference.

Anyway, you do have a good point about "the first three movies". It's definitely confusing, although the new trilogy and Episode 7 don't really add to or remove from the confusion as far as I can see (at least until people start saying "the last three movies").

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 29, 2016, 11:47 Ecthelion

Timmeh wrote on Jan 29, 2016, 11:21:
Tumbler wrote on Jan 29, 2016, 11:11:
Pigeon wrote on Jan 29, 2016, 10:54:
Wallstreet isn't happy unless you're squeezing your customers like an orange, then discarding the husks to be used as mulch.

That's extremely accurate. In the eyes of shareholders returns are all that matters. There is no benefit to being a good company in the eyes of consumers the way Wall St looks at things. This is something I think government should step in and "assist" with by imposing harsher taxes on companies that exploit workers and the tax system.

Companies like Walmart employee millions but do so at a level where they cost the government additional money because those people still qualify for welfare and such.

Raising the minimum wage and offering a national healthcare plan would be a huge step in the right direction. I don't think people understand how much more they pay privately for health insurance than people do under medicare. I do my in-laws taxes and their cost for medicare is something like 1300 A YEAR. They're 80 and 60 years old respectively...they are among the highest cost consumers to insure for healthcare. If medicare starting adding tons of people to the system in their 40's and 50's and still charged us 1300 a year they'd create a TON of surplus funds to deal with the increasing costs of medicare.

Raising the minimum wage should lead people with Jobs not qualifying for welfare and lower that expense in government. (which honestly is such a small number it's pathetic we talk so much about it)

It would affect the profits of big companies like walmart though and according to wall st nothing is worse than not passing those profits onto share holders.

Share holders are the real americans today it would seem. (if not corporations themselves)

Under obamacare my monthly payment doubled and my deductible went to 6000 a person and i have to agree to this at the point of an IRS Gun. And you think more government is the answer? this is why liberals are destroying America and the World.

the answer is FREE MARKET HEALTHCARE. Open every state to all insurance companies and then you will see some real improvements.

So letting insurance companies (which are businesses) compete more is suddenly going to give us cheap healthcare? Why? Where is the incentive to lower their costs? Competition doesn't lower the cost to the consumer past a certain minimum level, and I don't see why having more competition is going to suddenly make insurance companies change their tune about healthcare costs. Don't forget that providers are also part of the equation, and they're still going to charge as much as they can get away with. If one or two insurance companies undercut the others, how long do you think they'll stay in business before one of the bigger ones buys them out and the prices go right back to where they were.

Without government mandated reform, why would anything really change? And yes, I know Obamacare didn't solve the real problem (although some states have done very well with it), but that doesn't mean their isn't a solution. Political concessions took away any real power that program could have had.

Maybe a government solution isn't the only answer, but letting greedy corporations try to fix the problem sure as hell isn't the answer either. If it was that simple to lower costs, why aren't AAA games cheaper? Or anything else for that matter?

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2016, 09:12 Ecthelion

Retired wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 21:15:
Retired wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 11:02:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 10:51:
Death seems to come in threes. This year we had Lemmy and Bowie for musicians and for actors we had Rickman and Brian Bedford. We have one more to go in each category.

I will submit that Ben Stiller and Niki Manaj be sacrificed.

OK FINE!

I'll throw in PewDiePie as a bonus.....
Now that one I agree with. The other two seem like strange choices, since their best years are behind them (Ben is just old, and Nicki probably doesn't have many years left since the music industry favors younger women with a few exceptions, and she has certainly used her "assets" to her advantage).

But yeah, this sucks. Sadly I'm not as familiar with Bowie as I should be (I know his hit singles though), but Alan Rickman was one of my favorite actors.

News Comments > Amazon Prime Discounting Game Preorders
31. Re: Amazon Prime Discounting Game Preorders Jan 13, 2016, 11:38 Ecthelion

Task wrote on Jan 13, 2016, 09:10:
Ecthelion wrote on Jan 13, 2016, 09:02:
nin wrote on Jan 13, 2016, 00:18:
Ecthelion wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 23:07:
Also, Ratchet and Clank is my favorite series of all time, so I'm holding high hopes for the new one! I loved the PS2 and PS3 main entries (not the two spin-offs as much), and I even really liked the two PSP games. I never get tired of seeing Captain Qwark's ridiculousness. I think the R&C movie will be the first animated movie I see in the theater since The LEGO Movie.

I've never got to play any of them, but every video I've seen of the remake looks fantastic.

And yeah, really looking forward to Life is Strange. The only reason I didn't grab it sooner is I hate episodic releases. Once it was concluded, I was ready to buy it, and then I stumbled across the physical release with soundtrack cd and art book (I love art books!). For $32 (with discount), it seemed like a no brainer.

If you have a PS3, you can get them all very cheap. DO IT! Most of the PS3 ones are on PS Now as well. If you haven't used your 7-day PS Now trial, you should give it a shot and try out Crack in Time. It's the best of the series and still looks and plays great now. The 3 PS2 games are great too, but they are a little harder to get into now.

I didn't play any of the games until I got my PS3, but I liked them so much I got the PS3 collection of the 3 original PS2 games, and then all the PS3 games in the series.

I always wait until episodic releases are done too, and Life is Strange is great. You do have to endure some high school drama but it's one of the best "choice and consequences" games of the past few years.

I have a PS2 & PS3 but never did try any Clank games in the past. Looks like the Clank collection for PS3 is about 20 USD from resellers on Amazon if nin is interested.
That's the best price out there most likely. You can also pick up A Crack in Time for $15 on PSN, which is worth every penny. There are even TWO demos to try before buying it.

The first game is really the best place to start, but A Crack in Time has a bigger wow factor (it's one of the better looking PS3 games too) and more modern controls. The shooting mechanics in the original game seem kind of weak in 2016, which is not great for a game about guns. Then again, that game is also 14 years old, so basically Hitman 2 era.

29. Re: Amazon Prime Discounting Game Preorders Jan 13, 2016, 09:02 Ecthelion

nin wrote on Jan 13, 2016, 00:18:
Ecthelion wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 23:07:
Also, Ratchet and Clank is my favorite series of all time, so I'm holding high hopes for the new one! I loved the PS2 and PS3 main entries (not the two spin-offs as much), and I even really liked the two PSP games. I never get tired of seeing Captain Qwark's ridiculousness. I think the R&C movie will be the first animated movie I see in the theater since The LEGO Movie.

I've never got to play any of them, but every video I've seen of the remake looks fantastic.

And yeah, really looking forward to Life is Strange. The only reason I didn't grab it sooner is I hate episodic releases. Once it was concluded, I was ready to buy it, and then I stumbled across the physical release with soundtrack cd and art book (I love art books!). For $32 (with discount), it seemed like a no brainer.

If you have a PS3, you can get them all very cheap. DO IT! Most of the PS3 ones are on PS Now as well. If you haven't used your 7-day PS Now trial, you should give it a shot and try out Crack in Time. It's the best of the series and still looks and plays great now. The 3 PS2 games are great too, but they are a little harder to get into now.

I didn't play any of the games until I got my PS3, but I liked them so much I got the PS3 collection of the 3 original PS2 games, and then all the PS3 games in the series.

I always wait until episodic releases are done too, and Life is Strange is great. You do have to endure some high school drama but it's one of the best "choice and consequences" games of the past few years.

11. Re: Amazon Prime Discounting Game Preorders Jan 12, 2016, 23:07 Ecthelion

nin wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 22:23:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 22:18:
Sweet, this also applies to collectors editions from what I am seeing on my orders.

Yeah, there's a special CE edition of Life is Strange coming out on the ps4, and I got this discount. Between my various preorders (LIS, Dishonored 2, Ratchet and Clank, Lego Avengers, and Last Guardian) I saved something like $52. Can't argue with that.

I think Best Buy is a better deal due to its 20% savings applying to all games, not just preorders. And you can do it all online, EXCEPT activate the Gamers Club membership that gets you the discount, which is dumb.

Anyway, I'm glad Amazon is stepping up with this.

Life is Strange is a fantastic game, enjoy! Also, Ratchet and Clank is my favorite series of all time, so I'm holding high hopes for the new one! I loved the PS2 and PS3 main entries (not the two spin-offs as much), and I even really liked the two PSP games. I never get tired of seeing Captain Qwark's ridiculousness. I think the R&C movie will be the first animated movie I see in the theater since The LEGO Movie.

News Comments > Metal Gear Online Beta Today
2. Re: Metal Gear Online Beta Today Jan 12, 2016, 11:49 Ecthelion

Kxmode wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 11:29:
Without Hideo Kojima it's not a MGS game.
As far as I know he did work on MGO since it's part of MGSV. I may be wrong though.

Anyway, it's just a typical competitive online mode with a MGS twist. It's okay but doesn't have any real staying power.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 11, 2016, 13:49 Ecthelion

TheEmissary wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 11:32:
I am sure for early adopters or extreme enthuasists $600-1000 is reasonable but not for the mass market. People are already sensitive to the price of the gaming consoles so it is really asking a lot to expect people to pay that much for a peripheral.
I didn't mind paying $250-400 each for the PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U (the latter two I got after a discount). Obviously I'm not that careful with my hard-earned cash. But I would never consider buying a VR headset for anywhere close to the price they are asking. $60 for a controller is already pretty steep, and I am not sold on VR tech. Even if it does all it's cracked up to do without any negative aspects, 99% of me responds "so what?" I just can't see it fitting into a regular part of my gaming life. And with a toddler, it just doesn't make sense to have better immersion at the cost of shutting out the world around me (even if I could somehow make her stop coming over to play with the headset on daddy's face).

Maybe if the headsets were $100, I'd get one. Even that is a stretch for me right now though. It just seems like another fad similar to 3D movies. Besides, how are people expected to try one out? Even if they have one to play around with at Best Buy and Gamestop, who wants to try a headset that other people have been sweating into?

News Comments > Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt
54. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 26, 2015, 12:55 Ecthelion

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 11:41:
Yes... or one of those other spin-off movies that are supposed to come out in between the new episodes here and there.
You mean the ones that all take place before Episode IV? Okay, the Boba Fett movie isn't confirmed to take place then, but it's got to be before ESB at least, unless they go down the ridiculous road in the EU books of making him survive the Sarlacc. There's not much chance any of them will shed any light on the backstory between Episode 6 and 7.

As for Half Elf and others seeing spoilers, I feel your pain. That's one of the reasons I made sure to watch the movie the opening weekend (and I don't do social media, but the spoilers are still everywhere with this movie). I've seen enough spoilers for starting movies or shows late, or because I didn't care about them and then change my mind to give them a shot (Harry Potter and Game of Thrones come to mind). It sucks, but there seems to be no avoiding it these days.

I liked the movie but it wasn't perfect. I agree with some of the complaints here but not all. There was no possible way that the movie would have pleased all the fans; there is no competing with the power of nostalgia. Also, there was no way Disney was going to take big risks with the movie, and playing it safe paid off. Lucas took risks with the Prequels and while they were profitable, they were not as insanely successful as Episode 7 has already been.

67. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2015, 08:14 Ecthelion

jdreyer wrote on Dec 23, 2015, 04:55:
there's no comedy since C3PO's lines are wince-inducing.
This is why Star Wars "fans" (by this I mean people who are nostalgic for the original trilogy, but refuse to admit their faults, hating everything since) are impossible to please. C-3PO's line about the red arm was great, and Finn and Han had lots of funny lines (Finn pretending to be in the Resistance, Han talking to the pirates, etc.). The movie has its faults, but the dialog was on par with the originals. There was nothing on the order of "I don't like sand" here.

45. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2015, 21:53 Ecthelion

Pigeon wrote on Dec 21, 2015, 19:46:
So far I really like the new characters, Kylo is more like the Anakin I wish we got. His internal conflict appears more believable and drives him towards his actions. Anakin's motivations always felt shoehorned and unbelievable, 'I should act unreasonably upset because Obi-wan wouldn't let me have a cookie.'

Finn having been kidnapped and subsequently brainwashed by the first order as a child, has fairly simplistic thinking. Taking Rey's hand trying to be valiant, fearing the Order and wanting nothing more to than to run, but at the same time not wanting to abandon his comrades in a fight.

I think Rey was the least developed, but I suspect that'll be taken care of in the next film. I liked that she freaked the fuck out when she had that vision, seemed like a reasonable reaction to a frightening hallucination.

You know, something about Ren bothered me, and I guess it's what you said, that he's basically another Anakin. But you're right, he's a much better version of Anakin, and more believable.

I see nobody has complained about Han's death, which as much as I didn't want to see it, I felt it was inevitable (Ford wanted Han to die way back in RotJ and may have made it a condition of appearing again). That scene is going to be tougher to watch with repeat viewings I think. The scene also probably resonates more with parents. 10 years ago when I watched RotS, I probably would have been mad to see Han being so "stupid", but as a parent of a toddler now, I understand that good parents would do anything for their children, including making themselves vulnerable to being hurt by them (or even killed, when your son is a angry Force user). Even though I could see the death coming, it was still emotional to watch, and I know that Han had to try to reach out to Ren/Ben no matter the consequences.

As for the new cast, I thought Poe was a little flat. If you're going to be that cocky, you have to have the charisma of someone like Han Solo, and he didn't. Hopefully he'll get better as the trilogy goes on. As for Finn and Rey, I could watch them for another trilogy or two after this one, that's how great they were. Finn had the best lines and Rey was a more action-oriented Leia for a new generation. Even C-3PO rocked the show. His intro line "you probably don't recognize me with the red arm" was great and it was a million times better than his introduction in TPM.

I do agree about some of the plot holes and such. As someone already said, why would a Stormtrooper work in sanitation? I think Abrams is weak at world-building and just background details in general. I understand he probably wanted to avoid the pitfalls of the Prequels focusing too much on exposition and politics, but he went too far the other way by having hardly any. There should be a good balance there somewhere.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2015, 08:55 Ecthelion

Task wrote on Dec 18, 2015, 18:52:
Ecthelion wrote on Dec 18, 2015, 16:54:

That being said, I will admit that the DVD and Blu-ray versions of RotJ have the most noticeable and regrettable Lucas edits

I recommend finding yourself a VHS copy of the SW Special Edition set. Get a device that records it to DVD/Bluray, and you have yourself the second best edition of all 3 films. I also enjoyed Return of The Jedi. The plan hatched to save Han, the amazing set inside Jabba's Palace is the most real looking 'alien' place I've seen in a film to date, the dire news of a Second Death Star and the plan to take it out, the incredibly intense space battle that makes you 'feel' every loss as the rebels slowly get ground down, Luke revisiting Dagobah, the redemption of Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker, etc.
Nah, I'd rather not have my childhood memories of watching the VHSes tarnished by seeing them upscaled on my 55" TV. I'm pretty sure my mom still has the special editions. Anyway, I'll wait for the rumored Disney Blu-ray release of the unaltered Original Trilogy. Until then, I can tolerate the Lucas edits. I don't watch them frequently enough for it to be a big issue. Hell, somehow I managed to have the Blu-ray set for 4 years before watching any of them!

And I see Cutter is being his usual clinical-level cynical self. So movies aren't worth watching or caring about just because their overarching plot is predictable? I guess you don't play any singleplayer games then.

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2015, 09:01.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2015, 16:54 Ecthelion

Blue wrote on Dec 18, 2015, 13:17:
The Half Elf wrote on Dec 18, 2015, 11:05:
Ok Blue so here is some non-spoiler questions.

On a scale of 1-10 how did ya like the new movie, and if ya had to rate episodes 1-7 from best to worse, what order would you put them in?

Sadly I'm dealing with a nasty sinus/chest cold or I would go, but I hate not enjoying the movie because I feel like shit.

Scale of 1-10? 8-9 I guess. Solid 8 for sure.

My personal order of bestness?

Episode V
Episode IV
Episode VII
Episode VI
Episode III
Episode II
Episode I
I don't know if I've said it on here before, but I'll say it now. I love Return of the Jedi. I don't care who knows it. It has some of Han's best dialog (the Blu-ray set has a deleted scene of Han questioning being called "Rebel scum" which is funny as well), Luke is a badass, Lando gets to redeem himself, Leia is tough and moves on from her princess persona, it has an awesome speeder bike chase, and it has the best on-screen space battle I've seen (although Star Trek DS9 had some great ones, they were only on the small screen). Revenge of the Sith teased a great space battle but only showed us about 5 minutes of it so we could get more teen angst from Anakin. RotJ's directing is great and you can tell the actors are having fun.

But it gets knocked because it has teddy bears. Nevermind the goofy aliens in the Cantina in Episode 4, having teddy bears defeat Stormtroopers WILL NOT STAND! I was 3 when the movie came out, and up until I started using the internet in the late 90's, I assumed that everyone else shared my love of the movie. Oh how wrong I was.

That being said, I will admit that the DVD and Blu-ray versions of RotJ have the most noticeable and regrettable Lucas edits of all the movies. I don't mind the Sarlacc beak, the new Death Star explosion FX, and the end celebration montage. But the new song in Jabba's palace is awful. It actually bugs me more than Greedo shooting first (or at the same time in the DVD/Blu-ray version).

It's actually hard for me to rank Episodes 4-6 because I love them all. I doubt Episode 7 can top any of them for me, but I'd love to be proved wrong tomorrow. Either way, I'm more excited than I have been for a movie in at least a decade, and I know I'll enjoy it.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 18, 2015, 13:13 Ecthelion

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 18, 2015, 11:11:
I really wish they'd bring the Infamous series to the PC. Only reason i ever bought a PS3 was to play the Infamous games, and I'd love to play the PS4 version.
I played Infamous 2 first, then went back to 1. Oh my god, I have never seen such an obvious example of developers improving within a console generation. Infamous 1 mostly looks like a PS2 game. It has really good lightning effects but everything else looks like ass. And of course the voice acting and overall polish was much lower. It's still a great game, but Infamous 2 just had such a better presentation. After 1 I played the expansion for 2.

If you like the PS3 games, I strongly recommend Second Son and First Light on the PS4. Don't listen to the naysayers, they are great games. Delsin is an interesting character, and I felt the game had a better depiction of someone gaining amazing powers (and learning to deal with them) than the PS3 ones did. Second Son and its expansion are some of the best looking games of this generation. I played both of them to the point that I got all the trophies, that's how good they are. I also liked how the collectibles in those games are relatively straightforward and low in number. It's not like Assassin's Creed where it takes weeks to get all the damn collectibles.

That said, the series is one of Sony's best exclusives. It's hard to imagine it coming to another platform.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2015, 16:18 Ecthelion

DangerDog wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 13:50:
Retired wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 12:52:
I guess I am the only one in the world that doesn't really care about the new movie? I grew up on 4,5,6 - can't bring myself to make it through 1,2,3 - I get bored.

I will go see it when I can sit comfortably in an empty row and put my feet up without idiots in costumes and their cell phones.....

Nope, I consider myself a pretty big fan of Star Wars (4,5,6) and I'm feeling pretty non-pulsed about this reboot. Starting with the unnecessary re-imaging of the classic StormTrooper armor (they didn't improve on the original Ralph McQuarrie design at all) and with each "leak" of additional information makes it feel even more of an over managed Disney "product" to sell Star Wars merchandise instead of recapturing the lightning in a bottle feeling the original had.

I guess it's a winning formula for most people, more power to those who can accept the over commercialization of it all.
I know I'm a nerd, but I hate it when people use the term "reboot" wrongly. This isn't a reboot, it's a sequel; hence the unofficial name "Episode 7", and the fact that Ford, Fisher, and Hamill are (heavily advertised as) returning.

Also, news flash, but the Original Trilogy kicked off the whole movie marketing fad. Go look at some old archive ads or pictures for Return of the Jedi merchandise and tell me Disney is any worse. At least the tie-in products now look authentic; some of that 80's stuff has no resemblance to the source material at all.

As for the movie, I'm excited. I manage to find things to like in the prequels, but they did not recapture the magic of the original trilogy (especially the dialog and wit between Hamill, Fisher, and Ford). Reviews indicate that Episode 7 captures some of that magic, which is great.

I also recently rewatched the Blu-ray versions of 4-6 for the first time, and the biggest thing I noticed was that Vader says "no" a few times now before and as he throws the Emperor down the Death Star 2 shaft in RotJ. It wasn't as bad as the RotS "nooooooo" but it still seemed off. Lucas' changes don't bother me that much, but I do wish he had stuck to aesthetic changes (like making the lightsabers in ANH more realistic) and left the plot changes out (like making Greedo shoot first). I do like the Han/Jabba scene in ANH only for the fact that we get to see more of Han being his cocky self.

I'm seeing Episode 7 on Saturday in a 21+ screening with reserved seats. I'm sure there will be some costumes but at least no screaming kids. I think it's like Verno's theater with beer and such (although with the outrageous popcorn, candy, and soda prices I shudder to think how much beer probably is). It should be fun.

7. Re: Independence Day: Resurgence - Official Trailer Dec 14, 2015, 13:17 Ecthelion

nin wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 11:05:
Also, because he asked for too much money

Everything I've heard was he had no interest in sequels (same with another Men in Black)...

You could be right, but I read that he asked for 50 million dollars and the studio said no.

1483 Comments. 75 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo