Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1431 (Pro)
User ID 15046

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
6. Re: Saturday Consolidation Aug 30, 2015, 20:06 Ecthelion

Fantaz wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 15:24:
i have to say the regular Xbox One controller is really good though. better than the PS4 one.

and xbox one's gamescom lineup has a lot of games, even though they're not exclusive they have more games that i am looking forward to than any year before for xbox. and there's also halo 5.
I prefer the Dual Shock 4, but maybe that's because I had a PS3 instead of Xbox 360, and I've had the PS4 longer than the Xbox One. All I know is that the Xbox One triggers and bumpers feel off to me compare to the shoulder buttons on the Dual Shock 4. Maybe it's that weird Xbox One trigger vibration? It's not a bad controller by any means (at least with the battery charge pack; why is Microsoft still using disposable batteries in controllers in 2015?), but I still prefer the Dual Shock 4.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Saturday Consolidation Aug 30, 2015, 14:27 Ecthelion

Creston wrote on Aug 29, 2015, 22:50:
I love Sunset Overdrive, and Horizons 2. But that's really about all the good exclusives the Xbone's got. It's been out almost two fucking years.

That's just plain pathetic.
Yeah, it doesn't have as many good NEW exclusives as PS4 (Halo and Gears of War are remasters), and PS4 is rather light in that category itself. Wii U actually has more good exclusives than the rest, but that's not stopping it from dying a slow death.

Both XBone and PS4 have plenty of good third-party games though, which of course the Wii U lacks.

2. Re: Saturday Consolidation Aug 29, 2015, 20:02 Ecthelion

Creston wrote on Aug 29, 2015, 17:30:
Maybe one day, the Xbone will get some good games to go with those fancy controllers!
Sunset Overdrive says hello. But no way am I buying a $150 controlller. Yes, I know people have paid that much for fancy joysticks and racing wheels, but not me.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2015, 15:42 Ecthelion

nin wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 14:37:
ForgedReality wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 14:33:
Gross. I don't get how people can kiss their animals on the mouth. It's disgusting. It's even worse when people let their nasty dogs lick them all over the face and shit. EUCH! I don't even like my own spit on me, but some mangy mutt that sits around licking its asshole and eating its own shit all day? I'll pass, thanks. I hope that kid didn't come away with scurvy or tuberculosis or some shit. XD

Sounds like you don't need to be a pet owner then.

Well, he certainly worded his response very strongly, but I can agree with much of what he said and I love my pets. I had 2 furry kids before my daughter, and she now has a new furry brother to grow up with. Losing a pet (I've been through it 3 times) is not "like losing a family member", it IS losing one. But for all that love, I don't kiss my pets on the mouth and I never will. Personally I think it's gross, but I think it's gross when people don't wash their hands after using the toilet and I see plenty of people do that at my workplace (never coworkers, but still). Any time you shake hands with someone who is not family or a best friend, you have no idea how hygienic they are. That's one more reason to "wash up" before eating.

Anyway, I liked Blue's story even if I think it's slightly gross. My 16-month-old daughter would probably do the same thing though. Of course she doesn't know any better, she shares dog toys with him anyway.

One thing I noticed from the story was that Blue was too "enchanted to get a photo". That's something that I find happening to me a lot with my daughter and pets. It's something a lot of my young people today don't understand. I see people taking pictures so much that they are missing the magic of the moment. I was actually surprised when my wife and I got back from Europe during our trip a few years back, at how few photos we had. We spent most of our time enjoying our visit, and I don't regret not taking more photos one bit.

News Comments > etc.
17. Re: etc. Aug 16, 2015, 11:55 Ecthelion

Task wrote on Aug 16, 2015, 11:36:
Basically there are so many potentially interconnected issues that no one solution is going to 'fix' shooting violence.
This is true of course, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't start with the fix that is easiest to implement. Making it harder for people to buy guns is something that is achievable. Stopping ALL guns from making it to the hands of criminals, mentally unstable people, and just plain old irresponsible people, is much more difficult. The same applies to keeping the power to kill and control out of the hands of politicians who should not have that power. That's a hard thing to change, but of course we should try.

Agrajag wrote on Aug 16, 2015, 09:02:
You've got some good points with the futility of the War on Drugs and such, but I can't see why requiring background checks for private sales is so horrible... Especially if, as part of the deal, they opened up access to the checks so anyone could perform them for free, without going through a dealer...
This is the problem with the gun lobby (and lobbies in any field, really). The NRA and similar groups generally oppose common-sense rules that make it harder for people to get guns, because it runs contrary to their goals. They should be the ones pushing for these reforms, so that people have to go through more hoops to get guns. They should want guns only in the hands of responsible people but in effect they fight anything that tries to accomplish that, because it "limits people's right to bear arms". My grandfather is a proud member of the NRA, and in the past I've seen emails from him bashing trigger locks (which from what I recall resulted in a NRA boycott of the gunmaker - Smith and Wesson - who did that), assault weapons bans, etc. I never see them actively trying to improve our loopholes in gun ownership, all they seem to do is resist things that most people support.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2015, 13:28 Ecthelion

Fion wrote on Aug 15, 2015, 12:51:
I love my toaster oven. It cooks a lot of things as well as and faster than a traditional oven and food tastes better than it would out of a microwave. Hell I don't even toast bread in a toaster anymore because it just tastes better out of a toaster oven.
Yeah, they are awesome. Leftover french fries or anything bready is much better re-heated in a toaster oven than a microwave.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
23. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 15, 2015, 02:14 Ecthelion

Shineyguy wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 21:20:
Ecthelion wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 15:58:
I think that most of us here are mature enough not to be platform fanboys. I was never anti-Xbox even when I just had the PS3 and PS4. I like the PS4 controller better, but I hate the hard-to-push Share and Options buttons. I like the Xbox One controller well enough (at least when it has the Charge and Play battery pack, I refuse to change controller batteries), but the face and shoulder buttons seem harder to push than on the Dual Shock 4. I know when I was playing Thomas Was Alone (for the 2nd or 3rd time, it's a great game) on Xbox One I missed a lot of jumps because the controller didn't register me tapping the jump button all the time.

To be honest, those controller complaints (missing presses of buttons) were addressed with controller firmware updates. Have you made sure your controllers are up to date?
Yes. It's only Thomas Was Alone where I've really noticed it though. Other platformers like Ori are fine.

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2015, 15:58 Ecthelion

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 15:05:
I felt the same way about the PS4. I've owned a PS4 for a few weeks but returned it. Other than Uncharted I just didn't see any games I am interested in, and I hated the controller. I prefer the xbox controllers, and layout.
I am a big Forza fan, and I like the Halo series plus a bunch of my buddies from the 360 went to the one so it was a no brainer for me.
I understand the PS4 is a better console hardware vise but I prefer the xbox. To each their own.
I think that most of us here are mature enough not to be platform fanboys. I was never anti-Xbox even when I just had the PS3 and PS4. I like the PS4 controller better, but I hate the hard-to-push Share and Options buttons. I like the Xbox One controller well enough (at least when it has the Charge and Play battery pack, I refuse to change controller batteries), but the face and shoulder buttons seem harder to push than on the Dual Shock 4. I know when I was playing Thomas Was Alone (for the 2nd or 3rd time, it's a great game) on Xbox One I missed a lot of jumps because the controller didn't register me tapping the jump button all the time. I've never had that issue on other consoles. I also like how the DS4 automatically switches all audio to headphones when they are plugged in. The Xbox One controller (and yes I have the one with the standard audio jack, not the stupid proprietary one) doesn't do the same thing, and I can't even figure out how to find the setting for it. When I plug in headphones I hear audio from my speakers AND the headphones. What purpose does that serve?

Anyway I prefer most multiplatform games on PS4 but I still enjoy the Xbox One. The Halo Collection is an impressive set (now that the bugs are mostly worked out) that has not been matched on the PS4, and I still haven't even finished the first game. I love my Vita so I'm a big fan of the Sony cross-buy system, but sadly that isn't universal. Ori is an awesome game (although I think it's also on PC), Sunset Overdrive was one of the most fun games I've ever played (although I'm biased because I love Insomniac), and Rare Replay is a sweet collection. Scalebound should be fun too.

At the end of the day all the platforms have some great games so I don't know why silly fanboys have to ridicule each other over "inferior" hardware or whatever. The PS4 is inferior to a good gaming PC, and a good gaming PC is inferior to a $10k beast. So what? As long as the game is fun, I don't care if I'm playing on my 3DS or my PS4.

I did have a funny experience in one of my few online sessions on Xbox One. I was playing Sunset Overdrive with a group of obviously primarily Xbox gamers, and they laughed when I accidentally said something about pushing R2 instead of "Right Trigger". Thankfully they were mature about it and just thought it was funny instead of getting all fanboyish.

Verno wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 14:52:
Cool cool, yeah I agree. I would strongly consider getting an Xbox One if they had the games I want but sadly none of mine are on the backward compatibility list (yet). Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Red Dead Redemption, etc. Also the price of the console needs to come down below $300, I just don't value it higher than that personally. My GF got herself a Wii U awhile back for Mario Kart but once we get bored of that game I suspect the console will gather dust, just not much out there on it. Maybe we'll sell it down the road and get an Xbox for cheap now that it seems like Microsoft has eaten some humble pie.
A big part of my purchase decision was getting the Bone during the Black Friday price drop. I got several free games with it (it was a refurb direct from Microsoft), and even a Kinect that I've never used besides the first 5 minutes of Dance Central Spotlight to give it a shot... it was not for me. I don't need to flail my body around, I already look stupid enough without that.

Anyway, I'd keep an eye on it and look for a deal, they do pop up occasionally.

Personally I find the Wii U fun. I play it the least of all my systems, but when I get stuck on a good game, I have trouble putting it down. The "Off-TV play" feature is very cool when the wife is watching something I don't need to see (although I also have my Vita and 3DS for that). Also, it really DOES have a great library, if you look hard enough and like Nintendo's core franchises, and indie games. Generally I prefer indie games on the PS4 and Vita, but there are a few great exclusives on Wii U. Affordable Space Adventures is awesome, and shows what the Gamepad can do when used to its full extent. Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, New Super Mario Bros U, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Lego City Undercover, Super Smash Bros U, Mario Kart 8, and Wonderful 101 are all great games made with that cool Nintendo attention to detail. PS4 and Xbox One actually aren't as strong in the first-party department, but of course they have all the third-party games to make up for it.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2015, 16:04.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2015, 14:26 Ecthelion

Creston wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 13:56:
Also, holy shit, the guy got fired for that? That's fucking retarded.

But...
knowing that due to my student loans, I wouldn't be entirely debt-free until I turned 40. That's not a hyperbole either. I'm just now barely under $100,000 in student debt and my last payment is scheduled for the same year that I turn 40. "That student debt is intimidating, but it's worth it for the end result." I've undone my end result.

The american college education system is a giant fucking shit pile. We need to stop letting young kids take on $100+K in debt for a major that is guaranteed to never get them a fucking job. Stop letting people graduate in liberal fucking arts and medieval history and english literature etc.

I know that if I can't find a job at least as good as this one, I won't be able to provide for my family.

Yes yes, welcome to the corporate world. We've all been there. Get unemployment, get your resume out there, and start looking.
I agree about our education system, but what I don't understand is why so many people rush into expensive colleges (yes they're all expensive but some are cheaper than others) or for that matter grad school, when for some areas of work it doesn't make enough difference in pay to be worth it. Maybe it's because I work in IT, but to me 4 years of school for a decent salary is worth more than tons more debt for even twice as much pay (which of course is not guaranteed). Experience is worth more than the name of your college anyway. And now that I look at the quote again, his job at Nintendo helped him get UNDER $100k in debt? Boy am I glad I paid off my college debt by age 30. I never had anywhere near that much debt. I would argue that the "end result" is not worth that much debt, period. I don't mean to kick someone while he's down, but where the hell did this guy go to school to incur that much debt for a fucking ENGLISH DEGREE? He must have gone to a private school, or out-of-state at a public school. I don't know why anyone does either of those things unless they're a trust fund baby.

Obviously the guy is a huge Nintendo fan, and his zeal obviously got the better of his judgement when he did the podcast, but taking on that much debt for an English degree when he planned all along to work for Nintendo (which sounds like he got based on other factors that his education, as is usually the case anyway) was just as much of a poor decision IMO.

Anyone who works in IT and has dealt with disabling accounts in Active Directory (and other places) knows that at the end of the day, we work for businesses. They do not exist to be your friend or help you provide for your family. If you do anything that is remotely embarrassing to them (especially a public company like Nintendo) or gives insider information that is even positive, you are risking termination even without a contract explicitly forbidding you from doing those things. Hell, on that note, let me add a warning about social media. I think the regulars here are clever enough to know this, but you should always think twice about what you post online if it relates to your work in any way. One reason I don't do Facebook or Twitter is that I do not want my employers knowing anything about my personal life beyond what I have told them, and I don't have to worry about "bitching about my bad Monday at work" and it getting seen by the wrong people.

Yeah, I'm sorry the guy lost his job but he should have known better.

Verno wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 13:24:
Ecthelion wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 13:14:

The main thing I'm looking forward to is backwards compatibility though (I got a taste of it with the Rare Replay collection). I never had a 360 but there are a few games I've always wanted to try, for example Shadow Complex. I think that's a smart move on Microsoft's part to gain more fans who had Playstation last generation. Sony is doing the same thing with PS3 remasters, but those take longer to make and gamers tend to view them more negatively as money grabs. Hell, I may even check out those Gears of Wars games everyone likes to make fun of.

I don't know, is this really a factor at this stage though? I would've been super excited about backwards compatibility towards launch but both consoles now have decent libraries that I can barely keep up with, let alone replaying old stuff.

Don't get me wrong I think that its a smart PR move and I like the precedent it sets for the future. Can't argue with free either. I'm just not sure I would really use it. I was all stoked for PS Now, it runs very well for me but I barely used it in the free trial due to all of the newer games that keep coming out.

I guess maybe if they put Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia on there then maybe I would be whistling a different tune
Oh it absolutely would have been a bigger factor at launch, and a huge coup for Microsoft. It's probably not going to bring them tons of revenue.

If you're asking if it's a factor for me, sure it is. My main platforms last generation were PS3 and PC, but there were a handful of 360 games that never made it to either PS3 or PC. It wasn't a long enough list to make me buy a 360 (and back then I was smarter with my money, not like this generation where I basically bought the Xbox One just for Sunset Overdrive*), but I never forgot the list. Now I find out that Microsoft is letting me play Shadow Complex, which I always see praised in Metroidvania "best-of" lists (and it's one of my favorite genres). So of course I'm excited about that. At this point it would be easy enough for me to buy a used 360 and play those games, but since I have a Wii U, PS3, PS4, and Xbox One, I am at the limit (past it really) of what I want in my entertainment center. Mostly I don't want to add another controller to the mix. So getting to play those exclusive 360 games with no additional hardware is a big plus for me.

Granted I also have trouble keeping up with the new games coming out, but I still get excited about older games that I never got to play. Hell, I've got a backlog on the PS3 I'm slowly going through even as I play the latest games on my PS4. I can't imagine unplugging my PS3 for the next few years (I was late to the party though, I didn't get it until 2011).

Also, I mostly agree about the PSN store. It's slow even on the PS4 but I mostly like the way it's organized. It's funny that the best-performing store is on the Vita, the console that Sony cares the least about. I almost always use the web version of the store because it works much better, and can download purchases to all 3 platforms (although downloading directly after a purchase inexplicably causes the site to hang forever, while downloading from the Download List never does). I would like to see improvements, such as a toggle between searching my purchased games and the store (right now it searches the store and shows games that are purchased and unpurchased together). I also don't like how renewing PS+ reorders the Download List and shows old PS3 PS+ freebies from 2012 at the top of the list next to the new PS4 game I just bought. But overall it works well. The Xbox store is confusing. I haven't used the web version much but the one on Xbox One is strange, and I often find myself looking at an ad for a small section of the store where I can't back out to the entire thing.

* In my defense I knew I would play other games like Halo and the free Gold games, but not buy the system for them. Sunset Overdrive looked so fun that it pushed me to make the purchase.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2015, 14:43.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2015, 13:14 Ecthelion

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 12:18:
I also dislike the current layout of the whole dashboard. The new looks a bit cleaner and easier to find stuff.
Where the freak are the game demos for example?
Yeah, as someone who is more used to Playstation (3 and 4), I was surprised how unwieldy the Xbox One's store is (to be fair the PSN store is clunky but at least everything is located in a sensible category). And the UI leaves a lot to be desired. It's a little thing but it bugs me when I complete and uninstall a digital game, that it stays on the main "Home" section as a grayed-out tile. It eventually goes away after playing another game or two, but it's dumb and annoying. Hopefully the new UI will work better.

The main thing I'm looking forward to is backwards compatibility though (I got a taste of it with the Rare Replay collection). I never had a 360 but there are a few games I've always wanted to try, for example Shadow Complex. I think that's a smart move on Microsoft's part to gain more fans who had Playstation last generation. Sony is doing the same thing with PS3 remasters, but those take longer to make and gamers tend to view them more negatively as money grabs. Hell, I may even check out those Gears of Wars games everyone likes to make fun of.

News Comments > Resident Evil 2 Remake Confirmed
11. Re: Resident Evil 2 Remake Confirmed Aug 13, 2015, 09:23 Ecthelion

Xero wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 22:21:
Dachande wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 17:17:
Finally!!

What puzzles me is why they say they couldn't remake RE2 until now after wasting time on pretty pointless HD remakes of RE 1 and RE 0.

Oh well, better late than never

I don't think the RE1 remake was pointless as it sold a ton of copies so there definitely was an audience for it. I think RE Zero on the other hand is a waste of time and could probably be scrapped to better focus on RE2. Heck, even RE3 Nemesis would be a more worthy remake than Zero.
RE0 was also on Gamecube with Gamecube-era graphics, so it is just as "easy" of a HD remaster as RE1. Neither of those games are remakes, they are remasters. RE1 is a remaster of a remake (the Gamecube version), so it's confusing. RE1 and RE0 on Gamecube are on par for gameplay and graphics, except that RE0 added parts where you switch between player characters.

RE2 remake, on the other hand, is an entirely different matter. It's a full blown remake, unlike the HD remasters of RE1 and RE0. Personally I'm looking forward to it as I could never get very far in the original (which I have tried to play multiple times). I like the atmosphere but I just can't tolerate the controls and old gameplay conventions. RE4 was the first one I could really play, although I played RE0 and RE1 Remake on Wii after playing RE4 and 5.

I still haven't played RE1 HD but I can only imagine modern controls make it even better than the Gamecube version. Even if that's all they do with RE2 it will be a big improvement in my view, and I can finally give it its due.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 13, 2015, 09:22 Ecthelion

jdreyer wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 14:19:
SlimRam wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 12:34:
  • Crackdown 3 (finally) proves why Microsoft put Xbox One's head in the cloud.

• I played the first one and it was pretty fun but...aren't these guys supposed to be cops? How does destroying the city translate into " Protect and Serve". I can see the news interview with the police chief now...

"Chief, you're officers did 40 billion dollars in damage and cost the lives of at lease 1000 people. How do you respond to these allegations of blatant disregard for human life?"

"Well, we got our man. Now the citizens of this fine town, however many may have survived, can breathe easier knowing this criminal scum is off our decimated streets."

Haven't you been reading the news the past decade, and especially over the past year regarding the police?
    Either reading the news or watched Man of Steel. It's okay if Supes destroys a city as long as he defeats the villain!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2015, 13:17 Ecthelion

Kxmode wrote on Aug 11, 2015, 12:26:
    Cast list looks amazing especially with Ed Harris playing Yul Brenner's Gunslinger role. I can't imagine a more perfect replacement for Yul than Ed.

Ed Harris, the only best part about The Rock
    Agreed. Although The Rock had lots of other things going for it, like Michael Biehn and Tony Todd. But Harris brought it all together as a believable, semi-tragic villain.

I still wouldn't mind seeing Yul in some capacity though. Since he's dead it would be hard to have him do anything besides archival footage (which wouldn't mix well with modern photography). Maybe he could be in an old video clip on a monitor, or an old photo or something.

News Comments > Into the Black
    5. Re: Into the Black Aug 11, 2015, 10:09 Ecthelion

nin wrote on Aug 11, 2015, 08:58:
    Ecthelion wrote on Aug 11, 2015, 08:46:
    Cutter wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 17:50:
    Oooh teaser out for HBO's upcoming Westworld. Really stoked for this!
    Interesting. The original film with Yul Brynner (and Lwaxana Troi as a "madam") is great. This will undoubtedly have more plot development, so hopefully it doesn't go off the rails too much like BSG reboot did towards the end.

The pilot is done, but it sounds like they have a challenge of adapting it to a series. But I still think it'll be awesome...

That makes sense. It's not necessarily suited to a full series, so maybe it would be better as a miniseries.

That being said, I just read that Ed Harris is in it as a villain. Ed Harris is awesome, so that increases my interest quite a bit.

News Comments > Into the Black
    3. Re: Into the Black Aug 11, 2015, 08:46 Ecthelion

Cutter wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 17:50:
    Oooh teaser out for HBO's upcoming Westworld. Really stoked for this!
    Interesting. The original film with Yul Brynner (and Lwaxana Troi as a "madam") is great. This will undoubtedly have more plot development, so hopefully it doesn't go off the rails too much like BSG reboot did towards the end.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 5, 2015, 15:48 Ecthelion

ldonyo wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 11:31:
    The nice thing about Anandtech's reporting of the Seagate announcement is that any external USB 3.0 drive will work with an Xbox One, which I was unaware of. It shouldn't be hard to find a drive with more space for the same $110 that Seagate will be asking for this one.
    I'm using a little "pocket" USB 3.0 drive that gets power over USB, and it works great. I think it's a Seagate actually, but definitely not the "special" one they're selling here.

News Comments > Resident Evil 2 HD Hints
    5. Re: Resident Evil 2 HD Hints Aug 3, 2015, 19:34 Ecthelion

I would be interested in this if it actually gets made. I never finished the first three RE games (or Code Veronica) because of the godawful tank controls.

I did force myself to finish RE1 remake and RE0 on Gamecube because at least they were pretty. I still need to try RE1 HD with the new non-tank controls and see how much better it makes it.

MacLeod is right though, there is no remake version of RE2 to use as a foundation for this, it would be a full remake instead of just reworking controls and improving textures.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2015, 13:48 Ecthelion

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jul 26, 2015, 13:33:
    I didn't think Caddyshack was funny at all, despite having some really funny actors in it.
    I'm with you, I thought "how can a movie with Bill Murray and Chevy Chase not be funnier?" Vacation and Ghostbusters are way funnier to me at least. Probably part of it is me not really "getting" Rodney Dangerfield's humor. I think comedy is so subjective that it's very easy to find "classic" comedies that don't tickle someone's funny bone. For example, I have one friend who thought Ghostbusters was unfunny, and another friend who thought Princess Bride was unfunny, and I think they're both great. But I did not find Caddyshack or Animal House very funny, almost to the point where I felt like everyone else was watching different versions of those movies with more jokes.

That said, the Caddyshack candy bar scene is comedy gold.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 18, 2015, 00:05 Ecthelion

Creston wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 17:38:
    Not mentioned is that the thing was probably sold for $175 during one of Best Buy's deals, and that it's already dropped twice in price.

That said, I'm happy with it, having spent only $175 on it. The two games that I really wanted to play, Forza Horizons 2 and Sunset Overdrive, are pretty damn awesome.

I want the PS4 to drop in price so I can get the Nathan Drake HD thing, and the FF7 remake, though. (apparently, they're also going to do a SuperHD remaster of FFX for the PS4, which I'd probably get again like a sucker.)
    I'm glad to see someone else singing the praises of Sunset Overdrive. One of the most fun 100% trophy/achievement runs I've ever done, too. Sadly the multiplayer is usually empty but it's actually pretty fun when you can get a group together.

If I was any good at racing games I'd probably like Forza Horizons 2, but sadly I'm not.

Also, isn't the PS4 version of FFX already out? Link

News Comments > R.I.P.: Nintendo's Satoru Iwata
    26. Re: R.I.P.: Nintendo's Satoru Iwata Jul 14, 2015, 10:55 Ecthelion

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 01:26:
    Nintendo was my first attraction to video games, back in a small shack that sold steamed crabs (blue crabs) and had a moderately sized arcade in the back. (The name is/was Crab Town USA) This was in 1987, when I was only 7 years on this planet. I reveled in my victory over mario brothers and many other Nintendo games over the years as being significant achievements in my life, a new level of mind and physical response achievement. I have yet to find something in gaming that has compelled me as much as the mysteries you have woven into your games, Nintendo, and I hope you progress far into the 21st century so my child can know this experience as well.

Thank You. I hope your travel into the ether will incite ripples that we have yet to experience, not just for my child's sake, but for everyone to experience. R.I.P.
    I couldn't have said it better myself, and we were both 7 in 1987 too (I think my parents didn't buy our NES until 1990 however). One of my fondest memories is playing Super Mario Bros (the first one) with my uncle who was visiting from out-of-state.

My 1-year-old daughter already likes messing with my gadgets, especially my Wii U gamepad, but it will be interesting to see if she enjoys games once she can actually play them. I would definitely start her out with Nintendo, there's no question about that. My Mario Amiibo (yes, stupid purchase I know) has already become her "toy".

1431 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo