Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1390 (Pro)
User ID 15046

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2015, 22:16 Ecthelion

Necrophob wrote on May 14, 2015, 13:33:
"Does Using an AOL Email Address Suggest You're a Tech Dinosaur"

Perhaps they could Ask Jeeves?
Or even better, use Altavista to get to their email: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr3bWDBWnPE

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 12, 2015, 14:06 Ecthelion

MindStalker3 wrote on May 12, 2015, 10:22:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 11, 2015, 13:50:
It actually irritates me how bargain basement the consoles are.
But then it comes down to developers designing for it which they won't.. they'll design for the lowest performance with some sliders on the higher performance system. Pretty much it's always a loss for the consumer.

Its called lowest common denominator. But in reality it really makes sense. If you want to make a top of the line game with top of the line graphics for top of the line systems. That is great! But if you want to make a game that will run on the most systems possible so more people can buy it, you will spec towards the XBox 360, maybe the Xbox One. Why, because there are over 30 million XBox 360 in active use and almost 10 million XBox Ones in active use.
I always thought the relatively low horsepower of consoles was done for 2 main reasons, 1 to keep the cost down and 2 to keep the power usage and heat build-up down.

The specs being relatively low does not have any real relation to staying in line with the past generation that I can see. How many games now have we seen that had the PS3/360 version canceled (or never begun) to make a more hardware-intensive game? Batman Arkham Knight comes to mind. Yes, there is a much larger user base on last-gen consoles, but consider this. If you are a developer making a game targeted at a release this year, you can make a current-gen only game (like Arkham Knight), which is fine if you don't need those last-gen sales numbers. But if you want the biggest user base you have to release on both generations, which requires extensive porting. We have heard how different the PS3 and PS4 are from each other, and the 360 and One are closer but still different enough that the One is not backwards compatible. Most of the time developers are already making a PC version that requires porting with higher resolution and better graphics (if you want PC sales that is), so at that point it doesn't really matter if the Xbox One and PS4 are monster machines or not. Developers could easily scale either way, because they're already doing it for PC (sometimes in a half-assed way, but they're still doing it).

News Comments > Star Trek on GOG.com
18. Re: Star Trek on GOG.com May 7, 2015, 14:55 Ecthelion

I think pretty much every Star Trek game is out of print now, so it's nice to see these. I still own Judgment Rites, Klingon Academy, Bridge Commander, and A Final Unity, but I would love to have a digital copy. I remember that my Bridge Commander CD has some scratches and I had to make a copy of the CD last time I installed it. Hopefully we'll see that on here.

I have to say though, A Final Unity was always my favorite Star Trek game. It just got everything right and really felt like a Trek episode. I never did play the Generations tie-in "sequel" to it.

Maybe I'll finally get the chance to finish 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites now.

I never liked the Starfleet Command games (even though I bought all 3, hoping I'd get into them each time), but they should show up on GOG too for completion's sake.

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Clue?
35. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Clue? May 1, 2015, 09:34 Ecthelion

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 30, 2015, 22:12:
Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 30, 2015, 14:33:
Played Watch Dogs on PS4, loved it. IMO, better than GTA V. (I know, blasphemy.) Can't wait for the sequel.

I played it on the PC and enjoyed it, I enjoyed GTA V too and would like a sequel just as I'd like a sequel to child of light. I remember a lot of people went on and on about how Just Cause/2 are great games, so I picked them up on sale a year or so back. I can't fucking stand them.
I played Just Cause for about 30 minutes, and it was terrible. The game seemed very clunky and had bad controls and performance. Just Cause 2 was such a vast improvement that it's not funny. It was like AC1 - AC2 as some people have mentioned here.

I'm not sure the concept in WD was great; I thought the hacking thing was pretty silly. If it was handled better in the story, I could get behind that. Hopefully the sequel will improve on the original game. As it stands, I don't have the patience to power through another AC1 type of disappointment, so I won't go back to WD. If the sequel improves on the things I disliked about the first game, I'm willing to give the series another chance.

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Clue?
4. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Clue? Apr 30, 2015, 09:41 Ecthelion

nin wrote on Apr 30, 2015, 09:14:
Hope they fix the cars this time.

You know what's sad? I didn't even make it to the reportedly-crappy driving in the game. I got bored after the first mission or two. I won't be interested in a sequel unless they make the game actually fun.

I'm not sure I can put my finger on exactly what was wrong with the game, but the shooting and movement felt off to me. The protagonist also seemed flat and boring from the little I played. I wasn't even hyped on the game; I picked it up when it was on sale (after multiple patches), not expecting much, and I still found it underwhelming. I love open world games in general, but compared with Saints Row 4, GTA5, Infamous Second Son (and First Light), Sunset Overdrive, and even AC: Rogue, I found WD really subpar.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 29, 2015, 09:26 Ecthelion

HoSpanky wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 17:36:
IAMLIT_REFLEX wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 15:34:

NOW KISS MY ASS YOU LOSER CONSOLE GAMERS (edit: WITH YOUR STUPID WIRELESS CONTROLLERS WITH 500 MS INPUT LAG!) 'CAUSE I'M GETTING A GTX 970 THAT WILL PROBABLY RUN 1440 P AT 50 FPS!!!

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Edit: and to anyone here who thinks the 970 isn't worthwhile the performance tests do NOT lie: the 970 is the best bang for your buck, possibly even against ATI.

With Dynamic Super Resolution tech from NVidia I'm willing to pay a few extra bucks anyway. Why would you buy an ATI product that leaves you stuck in native resolution when you could go up to 4K on ANY 1080P monitor????

*sigh*
Risking that I'm responding to a troll, here we go:
Dynamic Super Resolution does NOT magically make your 1080p monitor run at 4k. This is a ridiculous comment from someone without a clue as to what DSR even does. It's simply another form of AA, and if you think you can run games at DSR 4k and it isn't going to throttle performance, you're a fool.
The 970 is a fantastic card, despite the 3.5g ram thing. You can *ALMOST* afford a pair of them for the cost of a 980, and two 970s in SLI are a wrecking ball.

Acting like you're superior to console gamers is foolish: there are fantastic console-only games. YES, if it's cross-platform, the PC version is almost always superior. Rip on the Xbone all you want, but you won't be playing Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive, or the MCC ever on your PC. All three of those are fantastic games, with FH2 using voodoo magic to make 30 fps feel like 60, and running at 1080p. A perfectly rock-solid 30 fps feels better than a 45-60 fluctuating framerate, and FH2 proves it.

if you've got an old machine to trade in to get an Xbone for cheap, do it. Like the WiiU, raw muscle isn't everything.
I just got 100% in Sunset Overdrive on Monday night, and I couldn't agree more. I would love to see SO on more platforms, but Microsoft gave Insomniac Games the money and opportunity to make it, so I can't begrudge them for that, especially since Microsoft let them keep the IP (a first for those devs). It's a great game and I hope they make a sequel (which could potentially be multiplatform). I'm not into racing games, but for people who are, FH2 seems like a sure bet.

I bought the Xbox One on Black Friday for $350, and I don't regret it at all. I knew I was getting it anyway for SO, and I've found some other games (like MCC) that I can play now as well.

As long as we have platform exclusives, it's worth it for many of us to get multiple systems to have the opportunity to play those games. Not everything on consoles is a COD clone, regardless of what you might hear. Hell, that goes both ways because console gamers tend to think of PC gaming as being only MMOs and indies. There are gems on every platform.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 10, 2015, 09:05 Ecthelion

Vio wrote on Apr 10, 2015, 03:17:
Elder Scrolls Online offers 12.99 PC-to-console migration deal.
And why exactly would you want to transfer to console?!?!! Huh
MMOs are starting to make headway on consoles, and I'm sure Bethesda is hoping to capture some of that momentum.

As for who is actually interested in this, there are definitely PC gamers who have migrated to console. I should know, I'm one of them. My only console from 1990 until 2012 was the NES, but a few years ago I went back to consoles after losing interest in building a new gaming computer. I just don't have the motivation or excitement to tweak and upgrade hardware anymore (being a mid 30's new dad might have something to do with it), and my gaming computer was getting too old to keep up with newer games. I'm also not a fan of MMOs, early access, Kickstarters, and most of the other fads that seem to be dominating the PC gaming market in the past decade or so.

I don't play MMOs (and yes, I've tried several of them but I always run into the same genre problems) but I can see how some people would like this migration deal. If you lay off the "PC Master Race" BS for a moment you should see how it's not such a radical concept. Besides, it is trivial for Bethesda to do something like this, so why wouldn't they? Even if only a few people do it, it's good PR and customer service.

News Comments > Kojima to Leave Konami After The Phantom Pain?
6. Re: Kojima to Leave Konami After The Phantom Pain? Mar 21, 2015, 00:34 Ecthelion

Creston wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 17:51:
Phantom Pain was what I felt after seeing Episode 1 for the first time...
So did Darth Maul. Flush

News Comments > New METAL GEAR SOLID Game Plans
11. Re: New METAL GEAR SOLID Game Plans Mar 20, 2015, 16:01 Ecthelion

harlock wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 12:39:
bhcompy wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 10:36:
Keep in mind that Kojima is big in Japan first, US second. For Sony, Konami, and every other Japanese company that's invested heavily in Kojima specifically, that's a huge part of it.

yeh but hes probably pretty big everywhere.. i get that - im just saying that personally i dont think he's much of a rock star... just another japanese game dev from the great tradition of ultra-weird japanese stuff, which is not as big as it used to be imo

like the Suka guy.. i think theres a whole culture of rock star game devs in japan thats still going strong, unlike the USA where its just a legacy phenomena from the 90s
I guess you mean Suda51? He is WAY more into "ultra-weird Japanese stuff" than Kojima. If you wanted to put it into sexual terms, Suda51 is 50 Shades of Grey and Kojima is all missionary. Ugh, I feel dirty for even mentioning that book.

In any case, having played all the MGS games and most of Suda51's games, there is no comparison in the weirdness factor. Suda51 made Shadows of the Damned, where you walk on a giant dream/hell version of your girlfriend lying down, including walking up over her boobs. The weirdest thing Kojima did was the ending parts of MGS2, which I'll grant is weird, but it was the only time he went off the deep end. Oh, and adding the boob shake easter egg to MGS4 (best use of controller gyroscopes ever). Suda51 does weird shit in every damn game he makes.

As for myself, I'm an admitted MGS fan, and I do prefer them to Splinter Cell (although I did enjoy the first 4 SC games). GZ is definitely a new direction for the series and TPP will only build on it.

I know Konami intends to make more Metal Gear games with or without Kojima's involvement, and he's gotten tired of the franchise. He was only marginally involved in Metal Gear Rising (which was a fantastically fun ninja sword spin off from MGS, a bit like Bayonetta). More of those types of games could be interesting. I certainly hope that the main series itself can be retired with Kojima's involvement, and I think TPP is the right way to do it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2015, 15:10 Ecthelion

Orogogus wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 23:50:
I think the way nostalgia works is that people expect the shows they grew up with to remain targeted at their generation. The original Transformers was a very dumb cartoon, but people get offended when the new shows are still targeted towards grade schoolers instead of 30- and 40-somethings.
Agreed, and I think it applies to Star Wars as well. Valid points can be made about the boring galactic politics in the prequels, but overall they are kids movies as the franchise always was. Yoda is a puppet with humorous grammar for crying out loud. That doesn't make the original trilogy any less great, but it never set out to be heady sci-fi for grown ups. Those of us who enjoy it are adults in touch with our inner child.

As far as sanitation goes, it's pretty funny to read a sanitation worker call anything he or she encounters on the job as "gross". That job is gross 8 hours a day.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
24. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2015, 16:49 Ecthelion

Axis wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 14:15:
Let illegals in
I "love" it when people use this term.
1. "Illegal" is an adjective, not a noun.
2. Calling people "illegals" makes it pretty easy to forget they're humans, which is of course why extremist conservatives love using the term. Who cares what happens to "illegals"?
3. NOBODY is talking about "letting illegals in". That would be political suicide. Many of the Democrats, including the President, are pushing for amnesty for immigrants ALREADY IN THE USA. That's not letting more people in. But hey, don't let facts cloud the discussion here. And hell, they're kids that are eligible for amnesty, who had no say in their parents' decision to come here illegally.
4. Isn't it a bit hypocritical to be so upset about illegal immigrants when that's exactly what the European colonists were? I'm pretty sure the Native Americans "owned" the land making up the USA before the Pilgrims et al landed.

I was raised Republican and didn't form my own views until after college, but thankfully I have been fortunate enough to encounter moderate Conservatives AND Liberals (including my parents), and it's a shame they're aren't more of them on both sides of the fence. And yes, in many ways the political parties are two sides of the same coin, which is why I never call myself a Democrat.

As far as Bush bashing goes, yes it was pretty intense, but calling Bush a stupid redneck is a lot less caustic than calling Obama a Muslim, non-American, and all the racist stuff that's often included. I disagree with him on many topics, but it's pretty incredible that the guy just can't win no matter what he does. He can drop a million bombs on suspected ISIS terrorists and he's still "soft on terrorism". I'd love to see what Ann Coulter and her ilk would say about a truly "liberal" president who was soft on terror and would refuse to incur any collateral damage, and try to appease ISIS through diplomacy and ransom money.

As far as Net Neutrality goes, it's like Obamacare. It's far from perfect, but it's a damn sight better than what we had before. All those people complaining about Obamacare must not have noticed how shitty the American Healthcare system has been for many years now (and which admittedly Obamacare only fixes a little bit of). Coverage exceptions for pre-existing conditions should have been illegal from day one. I work in Healthcare and get to see the lack of ISP competition on a daily basis in my role at work. The problems in both environments are pretty easy to see.

Also, a quick note on "destroying the foundation of marriage", since that was mentioned. I am a heterosexual male married to a heterosexual female, and I have a daughter as a result of that relationship. I completely fail to see how homosexual couples getting married in any way, shape, or form diminishes the meaning of my marriage. If that's all it takes to "destroy the foundation of marriage", it's in more trouble than I thought. Other hetero couples getting divorced does not diminish my marriage, so why would homosexual couples getting married do so? I just don't see the logic here. If two people love each other, they should be able to get married. Period.

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2015, 16:56.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 6, 2015, 14:00 Ecthelion

CrimsonPaw wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 12:21:
Ecthelion wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 10:10:
nin wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 09:54:
Second Son was inFAMOUS 3, so this would be 4 by my count. Anyway, I've enjoyed all the inFAMOUS games so far and First Light added some nice things to the Second Son formula. Even though it became a free PS+ game this January, I don't regret for a second buying it when it came out last August. Probably the best $15 I ever spent on a game.

I'd love to see a new Sly Cooper game but I think Sucker Punch is more interested in big-budget open world games now. Not that this is a bad thing.
I really enjoyed 1 and 2, but for some reason I wasn't nearly as enamored with Second Son as those others. I don't know if it's because with Cole there was electricity everywhere or because he only had the electric ability. Regardless, I'm intrigued to see what could come of it.
You should try First Light. It's a tad on the short side but it only has one power, Neon. And it's damn pretty, too. You can't beat it for $15.

Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 13:06:
I loved Second Son, gameplay was butter smooth if you got handy with all of the power sets. The first few games were fun but flawed and had some very frustrating mission designs. Second Son was the first game where everything just flowed nicely, my only beef was that I beat it in 12 hours and wanted more, particularly since getting Concrete happens so late in the game.
Agreed. Even if you're going for 100% completion, there isn't much fighting to do after finishing the story, so the Concrete powers are largely wasted. The game would have benefited from some combat arenas so you could at least test the Concrete powers out in large-scale combat. First Light had arenas, and it was better for it.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 6, 2015, 10:10 Ecthelion

nin wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 09:54:
Is Sucker Punch working on inFAMOUS 3?

God I hope so! They'd be crazy not to.

Second Son was inFAMOUS 3, so this would be 4 by my count. Anyway, I've enjoyed all the inFAMOUS games so far and First Light added some nice things to the Second Son formula. Even though it became a free PS+ game this January, I don't regret for a second buying it when it came out last August. Probably the best $15 I ever spent on a game.

I'd love to see a new Sly Cooper game but I think Sucker Punch is more interested in big-budget open world games now. Not that this is a bad thing.

News Comments > Into the Black
17. Re: Into the Black Mar 5, 2015, 14:03 Ecthelion

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 12:22:
As far as Babylon 5 goes, you should also keep in mind season 1 basically had a budget of about 3 dollars. After that they got rolling and got some actual funding. Not a LOT more, but enough that the effects and props weren't completely embarassing.

Babylon 5 is one of my favorite shows, all time, but yes, it did take some time to really get rolling.

*EDIT* Babylon 5 vs Firefly isn't really a fair comparison, completely different scope and flavor, in my opinion. Apples and Bananas, etc.
I've been looking for a good sci-fi show to get into. I'm mostly a Trekkie (TOS, TNG, and DS9 primarily but I can tolerate VOY and ENT to an extent) but a big Star Wars fan as well (haven't seen Rebels yet, but I enjoyed Clone Wars once it got going). I wrote off both Stargate and Firefly because of "friends" talking them up too much. Stargate seemed to have too much of a military vibe going for it, which is not interesting to me, and Firefly seemed to be overhyped and I'm sick of hearing people tell me some character on the show is a better Han Solo than Han Solo. No, sorry, try again.

Anyway, I really liked Farscape for its quirkiness and character development, and low budgets don't worry me. I also enjoyed BSG but it got kind of dumb towards the end and I thought the "sleeper Cylons" plot twist was stupid and ruined several good characters. Do I sound like the kind of person who would like Babylon 5? I keep meaning to check it out but something always distracts me from starting it.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Announced
26. Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Announced Mar 5, 2015, 11:37 Ecthelion

I'm halfway through New Order now (which seems like a long game compared to most of the current crop of games), and it is indeed great. I never played the last Wolfenstein game but it's a little weird to hear BJ talk a bit like a redneck. I guess that makes sense, but still. Also, why does his picture in the main menu look so little like his character model?

The gameplay is great, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm still waiting to hear Blue Monday while I'm killing Nazis though, is there something wrong with my copy of the game? Flush

I'm definitely excited about this. If there's one thing I'd like to see changed, it's the removal of the collectibles. Why does every game need collectibles now? It bugs the hell out of OCD gamers like me...

News Comments > METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN in September
5. Re: METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN in September Mar 5, 2015, 11:30 Ecthelion

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 17:37:
The all caps let you know it's a serious title.

So was Ground Zeroes any good? I thought that was the really short sort of sub-game thing?
It depends. I loved it, but I'm a MGS fan. If you can get it for a cheap price, it's worth a look.

The short length was exaggerated (I suspect the same is true of The Order 1886 but I haven't played it), it's a stealth game and MOST gamers would approach it slowly and methodically. The main mission itself can be completed fairly quickly but there's a lot more to the game, including collectibles with "tape recorded" audio backstory. There are also side missions you can do on the same map with different objectives. If you want to experience all the side content, the game is a good value. I know I got my money's worth out of it.

It probably should have been about $10 cheaper at release, but what do I know. The price didn't bother me but it would have cut down on the complaints probably... who am I kidding, this is the Entitled Bitching Era (TM); there would have been complaints if the game gave out blowjobs.

News Comments > Resident Evil Revelations 2 Local Co-op Mod
6. Re: Resident Evil 2 Local Co-op Mod Mar 1, 2015, 14:50 Ecthelion

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 11:36:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 06:32:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 13:40:
One knew this was coming, so is online possible?

With this mod is this coop for the main game?

Yes, online co-op works fine. FOr some reason, publishers seem to think that PC gamers have no interest in local co-op so they often cut said feature from PC ports to reduce costs. I'm sure that was the case here and, as this mod proves, re-enabling the feature is relatively trivial. Capcom will most likely restore local co-op in a future patch.

Are you sure, have you done it?

This game has confused me to hell and back with the coop.

Reading the main marketing description they use the word Assistive Coop, 1 player can switch between the two characters.

Reviews only talk about Local Coop Campaign. (Pc now via a 3rd party mod)

No talk about online coop.

Steam has no mention of coop anymore, anywhere.

I've read when the last episode is released Raid Online Coop will be available.

Just sayin...
You're correct, RAID mode online co-op will be enabled by a patch when the final episode comes out. For some dumb reason, the campaign is only available to do solo or local co-op. I'd love to play through the campaign with my RE fanatic buddy, but instead we're stuck with only RAID mode, like RE Revelations 1.

For those who don't know, RAID mode is a gameplay type where you and an optional partner fight off incoming enemies. It's fun but it would be nice to play the campaign in co-op also.

The marketing on this game is really confusing no matter what platform you're purchasing. Capcom could have made things a lot simpler.

News Comments > Into the Black
10. Re: Into the Black Feb 28, 2015, 09:07 Ecthelion

What a classy guy. I always enjoyed seeing him in anything, whether it was Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Simpsons, Star Trek of course, etc.

We watched Marge vs the Monorail last night in tribute. I saw someone post it earlier, but it is a truly fitting quote: "And the cosmic ballet goes on."

News Comments > Resident Evil 2 Co-op Apology
8. Re: Resident Evil 2 Co-op Apology Feb 27, 2015, 13:32 Ecthelion

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 12:51:
Wasn't there an online coop portion to initially?
Task wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 10:18:
I'm assuming people thought it would be co-op over network on separate screens.
All platforms for RER2 (possibly not the Vita version though) will include online co-op for RAID mode only (not the story campaigns). This will be enabled by a patch when the final episode and retail version release in mid-March.

The fact that this weird episodic release is causing so much confusion makes me question why Capcom decided to release the game this way. I guess I like the idea of being able to buy the game in 4 parts and only pay for what I want to play, on the surface, but I think anyone actually interested in the game wants the whole experience (I know I do). It seems like the only purpose this serves is to cause product confusion. Maybe I'm not the target audience, since I always wait for the game to be finished before starting on episodic games (I did not do so with Half Life 2, which of course isn't even finished). But I understand the idea behind Telltale Games releasing episodes: so that people can enjoy the game before it's done. But for RER2, which is releasing over only a 4-week period, what's the point?

Anyway, I'm glad to see Capcom addressing the complaints, although I do think it's unfair that many people gave the game 1 star reviews on Steam because of this one omission that very few people would have actually used. Once again, gamers (particularly PC gamers) look like a bunch of entitled whiners. At least Capcom is considering patching local co-op into the game.

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty
4. Re: Ship Ahoy - Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty Feb 26, 2015, 07:54 Ecthelion

Lorcin wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 23:15:
Just realized something btw - oddworld are like linkin park or arctic monkeys. Their first release was a edgy representation of how their life sucked (oddworld had their mouths stitched shut, linkin park raged at parents, monkeys slagged the record industry etc etc etc).

Trouble is - then they got money. The problems which made them relate-able weren't really problems any more and they lost the edge which made them popular.

10/15 years later and these guys are desperately clinging to the past, reissuing stuff which might as well have a sticker saying "Remember me? I was cool when you were younger. LOOOOOVVVVEEE MEEEE AGAIN"
Interesting analogy. Arctic Monkeys have only been releasing albums over 7 years, and in my opinion each one is better than the last (and their first was very good, so that's saying something). They may not be "cool" anymore, but AM is a damned good album. They are certainly still popular (maybe not with the fickle teens though), and they're still winning awards left and right.

Linkin Park may be a fair analogy, but I have to take issue with the Arctic Monkeys one.

1390 Comments. 70 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo