Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ecthelion

Real Name Ecthelion   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ecthelion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 2, 2002, 13:54
Total Comments 1374 (Pro)
User ID 15046

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Resident Evil Revelations 2 Local Co-op Mod
6. Re: Resident Evil 2 Local Co-op Mod Mar 1, 2015, 14:50 Ecthelion

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 11:36:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 06:32:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 13:40:
One knew this was coming, so is online possible?

With this mod is this coop for the main game?

Yes, online co-op works fine. FOr some reason, publishers seem to think that PC gamers have no interest in local co-op so they often cut said feature from PC ports to reduce costs. I'm sure that was the case here and, as this mod proves, re-enabling the feature is relatively trivial. Capcom will most likely restore local co-op in a future patch.

Are you sure, have you done it?

This game has confused me to hell and back with the coop.

Reading the main marketing description they use the word Assistive Coop, 1 player can switch between the two characters.

Reviews only talk about Local Coop Campaign. (Pc now via a 3rd party mod)

No talk about online coop.

Steam has no mention of coop anymore, anywhere.

I've read when the last episode is released Raid Online Coop will be available.

Just sayin...
You're correct, RAID mode online co-op will be enabled by a patch when the final episode comes out. For some dumb reason, the campaign is only available to do solo or local co-op. I'd love to play through the campaign with my RE fanatic buddy, but instead we're stuck with only RAID mode, like RE Revelations 1.

For those who don't know, RAID mode is a gameplay type where you and an optional partner fight off incoming enemies. It's fun but it would be nice to play the campaign in co-op also.

The marketing on this game is really confusing no matter what platform you're purchasing. Capcom could have made things a lot simpler.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
10. Re: Into the Black Feb 28, 2015, 09:07 Ecthelion

What a classy guy. I always enjoyed seeing him in anything, whether it was Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Simpsons, Star Trek of course, etc.

We watched Marge vs the Monorail last night in tribute. I saw someone post it earlier, but it is a truly fitting quote: "And the cosmic ballet goes on."

News Comments > Resident Evil 2 Co-op Apology
8. Re: Resident Evil 2 Co-op Apology Feb 27, 2015, 13:32 Ecthelion

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 12:51:
Wasn't there an online coop portion to initially?
Task wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 10:18:
I'm assuming people thought it would be co-op over network on separate screens.
All platforms for RER2 (possibly not the Vita version though) will include online co-op for RAID mode only (not the story campaigns). This will be enabled by a patch when the final episode and retail version release in mid-March.

The fact that this weird episodic release is causing so much confusion makes me question why Capcom decided to release the game this way. I guess I like the idea of being able to buy the game in 4 parts and only pay for what I want to play, on the surface, but I think anyone actually interested in the game wants the whole experience (I know I do). It seems like the only purpose this serves is to cause product confusion. Maybe I'm not the target audience, since I always wait for the game to be finished before starting on episodic games (I did not do so with Half Life 2, which of course isn't even finished). But I understand the idea behind Telltale Games releasing episodes: so that people can enjoy the game before it's done. But for RER2, which is releasing over only a 4-week period, what's the point?

Anyway, I'm glad to see Capcom addressing the complaints, although I do think it's unfair that many people gave the game 1 star reviews on Steam because of this one omission that very few people would have actually used. Once again, gamers (particularly PC gamers) look like a bunch of entitled whiners. At least Capcom is considering patching local co-op into the game.

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty
4. Re: Ship Ahoy - Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty Feb 26, 2015, 07:54 Ecthelion

Lorcin wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 23:15:
Just realized something btw - oddworld are like linkin park or arctic monkeys. Their first release was a edgy representation of how their life sucked (oddworld had their mouths stitched shut, linkin park raged at parents, monkeys slagged the record industry etc etc etc).

Trouble is - then they got money. The problems which made them relate-able weren't really problems any more and they lost the edge which made them popular.

10/15 years later and these guys are desperately clinging to the past, reissuing stuff which might as well have a sticker saying "Remember me? I was cool when you were younger. LOOOOOVVVVEEE MEEEE AGAIN"
Interesting analogy. Arctic Monkeys have only been releasing albums over 7 years, and in my opinion each one is better than the last (and their first was very good, so that's saying something). They may not be "cool" anymore, but AM is a damned good album. They are certainly still popular (maybe not with the fickle teens though), and they're still winning awards left and right.

Linkin Park may be a fair analogy, but I have to take issue with the Arctic Monkeys one.

News Comments > Resident Evil Revelations 2 Released; Missing Co-op Complaints
8. Re: Resident Evil Revelations 2 Released; Missing Co-op Complaints Feb 25, 2015, 13:58 Ecthelion

The headline is a little misleading. It's more accurate to say "OFFLINE co-op support is not included in the Windows edition". True, co-op support of any kind is not included at launch, but online co-op will be added when the final episode releases in 3 weeks. That is true across all platforms; the console versions do not have online co-op yet either. I do agree that it's unfair to advertise offline co-op for the Windows version since that will never be included (unless they pull a Xbox One about-face). However it's a bit silly to complain about the lack of online co-op at launch, when it was mentioned early on in interviews that it would be coming with a patch. I see many people bitching about this on Steam... you might as well complain that all 4 episodes weren't available at launch. Anyway, it's obvious that the Steam advertising uses generic multiplatform bullet points for the features and that's why offline co-op was listed, but putting a little note below that about the PC version is lazy. They should have modified the description to remove the offline co-op mention altogether.

To further confuse matters, I'm sure some gamers mistakenly think online co-op is coming for the campaign. That is not true for ANY version of the game; the console versions have local co-op for the campaign and RAID mode, and both PC and console versions will add online co-op for RAID mode only with a patch.

I'm not sure why Capcom made things so confusing... they should have enabled online co-op for all modes. I actually didn't know the PC versions of RE5 and RE6 had local split-screen campaign co-op. I played both of them in online co-op but having more options is always good.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2015, 20:29 Ecthelion

jdreyer wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 17:17:
The Lego Movie not getting even a nomination was terrible. I saw 3 of the 5 nominees, and Lego Movie was their equal or better.

I guess it doesn't matter too much. Practically everything Lord and Miller do turns to gold. I've become a huge fan, and can't wait to see what these guys do next.
I haven't seen Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, but I agree based on their other 3 directed movies. They know how to get that extremely difficult mix of humor and heart just right.

And Lego Movie DID get nominated, for best song. I haven't seen any of the other Best Song movies, but that song, like it or not, certainly sticks in your head. I dare anyone not to listen to it and think of the movie (if you've seen it of course).

Anyway, looking forward to more movies from Lord and Miller.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
24. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 19, 2015, 19:12 Ecthelion

Suppa7 wrote on Feb 19, 2015, 17:11:
Shineyguy wrote on Feb 19, 2015, 14:56:
@suppa

Even at that, I'm 32, have been gaming all my life and personally am having a riot playing Dying Light on PC with my friends.

I have an Xbox One, and use it almost every night. Granted I'm not always gaming (YouTube consumption takes up most of the time, with some Netflix and a little TV), but I enjoy Forza 5, Forza Horizon 2, Master Chief Collection, and Dead Rising 3.

That just means you're too easily pleased. Every generation has its element of poor taste, welcome to the poor taste section of our generation! If you like everything, that means your brain can't see the problems within a videogame, that's not something to be ashamed of but criticism is necessary. The gaming industry releases enough shoddy rushed games as it is.
Actually if you frequent the Playstation Blog, you will see tons of complaining about indie games (and straight complaining in general), and it's obvious the complainers are younger. Apparently the younger gamers only want AAA games on PS4, not a mix of AAA and indie games, and they talk like indie=trash. So the younger generation is indeed discerning, but in a very superficial way.

I see some of the older generations (including mine, I'm 34 and grew up playing 80's and 90's games on PC) go too far the other way, and criticize everything just for being new. I prefer a more balanced approach myself. Not all those old games were great, and not all newer games are terrible.

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 19, 2015, 15:46 Ecthelion

jdreyer wrote on Feb 19, 2015, 14:52:
Creston wrote on Feb 19, 2015, 12:06:
a mere 30MB day one patch? I must be dreaming. Kudos, good developer.

Yeah, I had to click on the story to make sure it wasn't a typo: 30 GB patch.

I'm not sure if you're actually saying the patch is 30GB, but the article states that the patch is 30MB, on top of the game install itself which is 31GB. So if you buy the game on disc, you only have to download 30MB, which is indeed rare these days.

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Feb 19, 2015, 11:15:
Verno wrote on Feb 19, 2015, 11:06:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Feb 19, 2015, 11:03:
True gamers own all systems and play the games they want to on them. Like for instance, I'm playing destiny with my xim4 adapter on my PS4.

I don't know what a "true gamer" is but this gamer barely has enough time for one platform, let alone 5

I haven't seen anything that made me want to own an Xbox, Vita or etc which doesn't help.

Well, my xbox one just sits collecting dust, I've played a total of 10 minutes of Ryse on it before never touching it again. I made the mistake thinking that xbone would actually have exclusive titles for it within the first year that I actually wanted to play. (impulse buy, didn't look into it before hand.)
Shineyguy wrote on Feb 19, 2015, 14:56:
@suppa

Even at that, I'm 32, have been gaming all my life and personally am having a riot playing Dying Light on PC with my friends.

I have an Xbox One, and use it almost every night. Granted I'm not always gaming (YouTube consumption takes up most of the time, with some Netflix and a little TV), but I enjoy Forza 5, Forza Horizon 2, Master Chief Collection, and Dead Rising 3.
Since I am a big Insomniac fan (playing the entire Ratchet and Clank series on PS3 being new to the series was probably the most fun I've had gaming in the past 5 years), I knew I would get a XBox One for Sunset Overdrive eventually. The Holiday price drop on the Xbox One pushed me over the edge and I finally gave in. My Xbox came with Ryse, which is fun but not stellar. I never really got into Halo when it came out, so I grabbed the Collection too to make sure I wasn't getting a console for only one game.:P From the little I've played of Dead Rising 3, it seems pretty good, but of course that's on PC now. But Sunset Overdrive is the clear highlight, and easily the best game on Xbox IMO. I doubt it's a system seller, but it's the most fun I've ever had with an open-world game, and I love open-world games. It's a game where you can see the developers clearly had tons of fun making it, and it never takes itself seriously at all. The dialog and characters are very funny, and the weapons and gameplay is fun and tight. From what I have read, Insomniac had the game idea and approached Microsoft with the idea (not sure why, they were Sony-exclusive before). Hopefully they will eventually open the game up to more platforms if their agreement with Microsoft does not limit that.

I obviously have not made the best investment in gaming platforms since I clearly don't have enough time to play my PS3/4/WiiU/XboxOne/3DS/Vita every day, but I typically play at least one of them daily. If there weren't exclusive games I'd only need one console and one handheld, but that's not the world we live in sadly.

Verno wrote on Feb 19, 2015, 11:06:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Feb 19, 2015, 11:03:
True gamers own all systems and play the games they want to on them. Like for instance, I'm playing destiny with my xim4 adapter on my PS4.

I don't know what a "true gamer" is but this gamer barely has enough time for one platform, let alone 5

I haven't seen anything that made me want to own an Xbox, Vita or etc which doesn't help.
I really love my Vita, I'm not sure if I would recommend it. Sony has mostly abandoned it for games, but it still gets a lot of indie games that are fun. So many small games (like platformers) are really suited to a portable console; Rogue Legacy rocks on it. There are also a few really great "AAA" games from before Sony abandoned new games on it, such as Gravity Rush and Uncharted Golden Abyss. There are more depending on your tastes. I don't like racing games so that narrows it down, but I do love many of the indie games it has.

News Comments > PC Assassin's Creed Rogue Next Month
24. Re: PC Assassin's Creed Rogue Next Month Feb 7, 2015, 01:08 Ecthelion

Creston wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 22:57:
I think they killed off Desmond because so many people bitched about him, and I have to say I quite liked his story. I just wished it hadn't been so forced on you every time. Had the whole Desmond thing been something optional it would have been perfect.
I liked Desmond as a character, but I hated the parts where you did the climbing stuff as him. At least AC3 did a bit more with letting you get into combat with him, but then it frustrated me by sending me off to look for the stuff left behind by the progenitors or whatever. There was no direction for that part and it was annoying. Usually I just wanted to get back to playing in the Animus.

Anyway, hopefully I didn't talk up the tough moment in Rogue too much, it basically just involves a character/storyline from a previous game. It's definitely a tough moment, but maybe that was just me.

20. Re: PC Assassin's Creed Rogue Next Month Feb 6, 2015, 14:40 Ecthelion

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 13:33:
Ecthelion wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 09:08:
The best part of the game is honestly the main character. I found Shay more believable than past protagonists

Sounds good though I have to say that I really liked badass Kenway. I also liked Haytham (the short part in AC3) and Ezio, indifferent about Altair but Connor was horrible. They should have portrayed him as a proud American native but instead he was like a whiny little bitch all game long.
Haytham shows up again in Rogue, unfortunately he doesn't show up until near the end of the game. He was one of my favorite characters as well. Rogue ties up the loose ends of Black Flag and AC3 really well in my opinion.

What can I say, I'm one of the 5 people who liked Connor. Everyone hates whiny bitches, but if you went through what Connor did, you probably would be one too. I had no problem with the portrayal of his early life, but I do think the game would have benefited from showing him grow more as a character once he became an assassin and leader.

... and this time around most of the targets you assassinate are assholes that deserved it (which is often not the case), with one HUGE exception that you'll probably have mixed feelings about.

Looking at the series as a whole, there has always been this underlying morality thing where it's never crystal clear whether the Assassins or the Templars are the good guys or the bad guys. Altair has also had his fair share of kills where it made you wonder if you did the right thing (not that you ever had a choice if you wanted to progress the main plot).
I actually enjoyed the "two sides to every story" bits that you got from the Animus-style deathbed talks sometimes.
Nothing wrong with killing real assholes for a change, of course, but I hope they won't totally drop the shades of gray thing in favor of a black/white scheme.
Rogue definitely has shades of gray. Trust me, the big exception to the "killing assholes" thing I mentioned will have you wishing there was another way to progress the story. It was easily the toughest thing I have ever had to do in the series, emotionally and morally.

Also, the event that makes Shay turn to the Templars is really impressive, and one of those "oh shit, that would make ANYONE question their actions" moments.

It was fun to play a Templar for a change, and the modern-day story was slightly less stupid than Black Flag's (which was already a big improvement over the AC1-3 Desmond conspiracy-theory bullshit that a 5th grader could have written). I definitely recommend it.

Yep, the Desmond Miles plot was a pretty wild mix of Illuminati and conspiracy theory stuff but for a video game plot, I still thought it was kinda fun most of the time. Besides operating underground from that Italian villa had a certain style and atmosphere. Also loved Shaun that nerdy nutter. Always good for a laugh.
I was definitely slightly saddened to see DM (and as always excellent Nolan North) exit the stage for good.
And did Black Flag even have a real world story? New Abstergo employee goes to work, plays around with the Kenway-Animus and snoops around some old and future plans of the company. End of story. Right?
Seems like Ubi did not have much of a plan past DM except killing him off and... yes... and what?

Anyway, thanks for the impressions. I'm definitely looking forward to Rogue some time next year. Going to play Rogue first, then Unity.
Rogue is pretty much the same as Black Flag in terms of real world modern story. It's pretty basic. I dunno if Ubisoft saved the next big plot event for Unity, since I haven't gotten far in it yet, but I am glad to have the weird modern plot take a little break.

Also, the last mission in Rogue ties into the first mission in Unity. You get to experience the same event from two different perspectives, and it's pretty cool. I was also very impressed by how well the PS3 showed off the environment in the last mission (it's a very recognizable landmark that I have actually visited in person so that was very cool for me); it should be amazing on PC.

18. Re: PC Assassin's Creed Rogue Next Month Feb 6, 2015, 13:13 Ecthelion

Creston wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 10:46:
Ecthelion wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 09:08:
I don't know about the PC port, but I enjoyed Rogue on my PS3. Hopefully the port will be decent.

Anyway, Rogue slightly improves on the ship combat. Ships can now board you, but I haven't figured out the mechanics involved. From what I can tell, only Hunters can board you, and only if you actually let them ram you, so it can be somewhat avoided if you don't get too caught up in big battles. If you do get boarded, it's similar to boarding enemy ships in Black Flag, except that you can't use the "Captain's mini-cannon" to take down enough crew to capture the other ship without ever getting into hand combat.

The ship combat itself doesn't seem harder or easier. I had little trouble fighting superior ships with my Black Flag experience. That's not to say that it's easy to take on a man-o-war; that heavy shot still stings like hell.

The biggest change is actually in the "on foot" part, where assassins can now target you. It's an interesting addition to the game, but it isn't a huge change since it only happens occasionally.

The best part of the game is honestly the main character. I found Shay more believable than past protagonists, and this time around most of the targets you assassinate are assholes that deserved it (which is often not the case), with one HUGE exception that you'll probably have mixed feelings about. It was fun to play a Templar for a change, and the modern-day story was slightly less stupid than Black Flag's (which was already a big improvement over the AC1-3 Desmond conspiracy-theory bullshit that a 5th grader could have written). I definitely recommend it.

Thanks for the review.

Do you ever get to sail in anything else besides your own ship? It was a shame in BF that you only got out of the Jackdaw for one total mission.
IIRC, it's the same, one mission commanding a big man-o-war.

I haven't done the 4 legendary ship battles yet, but from what I hear they have been beefed up from the legendary battles in Black Flag. One of them apparently has a bunch of fire ships as an escort...

I think the story is one of the best yet for the series. I was never a big Ezio fan, and I actually liked Connor well enough. I thought Edward was easier to identify with, but Shay is even more so. Unfortunately, the story is shorter so some parts of his adventures are skipped.

14. Re: PC Assassin's Creed Rogue Next Month Feb 6, 2015, 09:08 Ecthelion

Creston wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 01:00:
Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 19:52:
Are you interested in this? No? Didn't think so.

I am, actually. I'm not paying 60 bucks for it, but I'll definitely pick it up when it's 5 bucks, which is now my default Ubisoft price point.

The pirating part of Black Flag was awesome, if a little samey and waaaaay too easy. Hopefully Rogue addresses those two concerns, and I'm looking forward to some different environments rather than the green jungle islands that were all Black Flag had to offer.

Edit: Be warned, all who are interested -> The Assassinís Creed Rogue PC development team in Kiev

Ubisoft Kiev are the incompetent assclowns who have been butchering Ubi's last several PC ports, so definitely wait this one out until it's had at least four or five patches, which seems to be the bare minimum for them to make shit playable.
I don't know about the PC port, but I enjoyed Rogue on my PS3. Hopefully the port will be decent.

Anyway, Rogue slightly improves on the ship combat. Ships can now board you, but I haven't figured out the mechanics involved. From what I can tell, only Hunters can board you, and only if you actually let them ram you, so it can be somewhat avoided if you don't get too caught up in big battles. If you do get boarded, it's similar to boarding enemy ships in Black Flag, except that you can't use the "Captain's mini-cannon" to take down enough crew to capture the other ship without ever getting into hand combat.

The ship combat itself doesn't seem harder or easier. I had little trouble fighting superior ships with my Black Flag experience. That's not to say that it's easy to take on a man-o-war; that heavy shot still stings like hell.

The biggest change is actually in the "on foot" part, where assassins can now target you. It's an interesting addition to the game, but it isn't a huge change since it only happens occasionally.

The best part of the game is honestly the main character. I found Shay more believable than past protagonists, and this time around most of the targets you assassinate are assholes that deserved it (which is often not the case), with one HUGE exception that you'll probably have mixed feelings about. It was fun to play a Templar for a change, and the modern-day story was slightly less stupid than Black Flag's (which was already a big improvement over the AC1-3 Desmond conspiracy-theory bullshit that a 5th grader could have written). I definitely recommend it.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 5, 2015, 15:03 Ecthelion

DangerDog wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 14:31:
I'd rather have the Tandy 1000 to do computer stuff on than attempt to do it on a smartphone. It's not quite the all in one computer device but it's getting there.
Yeah, I'll give the author most of those items, but word processing on an iPhone? Does he hate himself? I wouldn't wish smartphone word processing on the most evil people known to man, much less myself. Tablets are a little better, but still no replacement for a keyboard.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
20. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 30, 2015, 10:56 Ecthelion

jimnms wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 09:41:
Why couldn't they bump the upload requirement? I don't understand why we have such low upload speeds. I'm currently at 20/2 (when it works). It took 8 fucking hours to upload a 1 hour video to YouTube the other day. They could have at least kept the 1/4 ratio, which would have been 25/6.
I don't really understand this either, does it really save carriers that much money to have the "series of tubes" mostly tilt towards your house (download) instead of level?

Especially for business use, upload is very important. Outside of software updates, most of our business data use is balanced between download and upload due to a database app that saves back as many changes as the data it downloads. But most ISPs we deal with (we're physically spread out and probably deal with 10 ISPs) do close to a 10/1 download/upload ratio. With DSL it's even worse, because a lot of carriers offer a "super" DSL download speed, but the upload is often still 768k. IIRC, consumer fiber (e.g. Verizon FiOS) does not have a 1/1 ratio on upload and download either, but on the business side it does (at least in theory, I've never gotten a speed test that shows upload as high as download, even though we theoretically get 50/50).

In any case, it's typical that politics would play into this decision, but logically it makes sense to increase the requirements to qualify as broadband. Times change, and what was once fast speed is no longer acceptable. I think 25Mbps download is a good minimum requirement for broadband. That Pai character sounds like an idiot; 10Mbps MIGHT be enough for 3 video streams, of low quality, IF the user actually got 10Mbps from the carrier (questionable), and IF the user actually got 3.3Mbps from the streaming server(s). In the real world, that's not going to happen. I notice his main point is to make digs at Obama, so his motivation seems to just be political. Also, so what if 4G is no longer broadband? I would argue that it never was. It still has terrible coverage in the US, and when I actually have a 4G signal, the speed is still not great. Netflix recommends 3Mbps for SD streams, and 5 for HD. So Pai is saying SD video is acceptable for broadband in 2015. The times have changed, buddy.

With all the devices most of us have, especially multiple computers/consoles downloading huge games and patches, 4Mbps just won't cut it. If nothing else, bumping up the speed requirements will affect statistics. I'm tired of seeing large percentages thrown around for broadband availability in the USA, when it's just not true. My parents can only get satellite internet, and that is NOT broadband.

News Comments > LEGO Jurassic World & Marvel's Avengers Announced
6. Re: LEGO Jurassic World & Marvel's Avengers Announced Jan 29, 2015, 14:36 Ecthelion

Cutter wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 12:57:
They dropped the ball on Bats 3 IMO. Apart from bugs they never bothered to fix it just felt sort of meh compared to previous games.
Did you play the Adam West TV series homage level (you have to complete all the story levels first)? That was worth $50 by itself.

I did think the villains were underused in the story, but other than that I enjoyed it. The open-world stuff was fun with various characters popping up (although I liked Green Loontern a lot more than say Kevin Smith).

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 26, 2015, 14:08 Ecthelion

Beamer wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:49:
Axis wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:43:
Absolutely JD, it's a fairly common crossover - when you are young it's easy to get into consoles, then when you get older and see what you can do on a PC platform you "Evolve!".

I'd bet most of us have. Atari 2600 right to TI99 for me. Many of my friends and their kids same story.

I do get tired of all the new "PLS CONTROLLER for x game on steam", but I'm glad they're discovering PC gaming - won't be long before their pc controller collects is only dusted off for the occasional platforming type game...

And then when you get older still you go back to consoles because you have limited time and they just work.

Sorry, this whole thing of "mature people use PCs" seems a bit off. I'd guess PC usage peaks in the early 20s then falls off again when building, tuning and tweaking becomes a lot less fun.

Personally, I'm still playing FC4 and am shocked to see how much better it plays in videos I'm watching on YouTube on the new consoles. It's an entirely different game. And yeah, I could build/upgrade to play it like that on my PC, but I'd need a new processor and a new GPU. I could spend $300 on a 970, or I could spend $350 on an Xbox One. Both will play games that look comparable to each other.

I'm not going to do either, but the value proposition and time-saving of a console is definitely a real thing.
Yeah, I'm in that second category. I've reached the point in my life (mid 30's and 9-month old kid) where tinkering has lost all its appeal to me. I'm sure some people enjoy tinkering until they're old and gray, but not me. My friend got me into the Gamecube and PS3 with Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid (both series have entries that have never made it to PC), and the loss of texture fidelity and resolution were less important to me than getting to play games more easily. The final nail in the PC gaming coffin for me was when my old workhorse PC bit the dust and my various attempts at repairing it did no good. 5 years ago, I would have put hours and hours into getting it working again, but I just don't have that drive now. It doesn't help that I discovered this big library of games that just aren't on PC, so I have plenty to keep me busy for the next decade and beyond. Yes, a good number of console games do eventually make it to PC, but anyone who says "all the good games come to PC" is overlooking or ignoring a fair number of console games out there (e.g. MGS4, RE0, almost every first-party Nintendo game ever).

I can't really use the cost argument, since I have a PS4, Wii U, and Xbox One (which I really bought for only a couple of exclusives like Sunset Overdrive), and with the generally more expensive console games, it's arguably no cheaper to play on consoles these days. So I can't really mock people that run out and buy $3000 Alienware gaming PCs.

But for me the biggest draw is the ease of console gaming and getting games that can't be played on PC. If I really wanted to practice what I preached, I'd buy a gaming PC (or have a friend build one). I'm sure I eventually will, when I "need" to play some new strategy game that isn't on consoles. But I'm finding more and more that the genres I enjoy are the ones that consoles are suited to.

I think the truly wise gamers get all the platforms they can, because of course the PC has tons of games that never make it to consoles (although the PS4 and to a lesser extent the Xbox One an Wii U are making good strides at getting more indie games and closing that gap). Personally I find no value in phone/tablet games (okay, I'll admit I loved the first Plants vs Zombies, but every smartphone game these days seems to be monetized and I hate that), but I suppose they are technically another platform that most people already have. It all depends on what you like. People love to mock Nintendo for their lack of market share and seeming stupidity, but for my money they still make some of the most fun games out there. But most "serious" gamers want nothing to do with them.

Whatever you like, it's a good time to be a gamer. Where I come from, more choice is better, and we definitely have lots of choices. If Microsoft is actually focusing on PC gaming again, great! Maybe they're just trying to take advantage of the increased focus (thanks to successful Kickstarter campaigns, for example), but only time will tell.

News Comments > METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES Specs
6. Re: METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES Specs Nov 20, 2014, 09:39 Ecthelion

Yakubs wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 09:05:
I heard this game was pretty good, just criminally short. Are they going to bring the same design ideas to the Phantom Pain?
The length is exaggerated by a lot of reviewers and gamers (many of whom probably didn't even play the game, at least not to completion). The main "campaign" which is just a couple of goals on a single map, can indeed be completed fairly quickly. However, there are 5 or 6 "side missions" on that same map but with different conditions (e.g. day vs night, different enemy placements, etc.). And that doesn't count going back to get 100% completion and such. So if you do everything there is to do in the game, it's a lot longer. Some might call it artificially padded, but to each their own.

I enjoyed it a lot, but I'm a MGS fan so I guess I'm biased.

Phantom Pain is going to use the same engine and gameplay mechanics, but it won't be a single map, it will be a big semi-open world with lots of missions and much more story content.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 3, 2014, 12:58 Ecthelion

DG wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 12:34:
Are there any real must-haves for either console yet? I have a very dusty 360 which I got a handful of games for, one series of which (GTA) I'm happy to wait for PC these days. I might even have missed a Halo.
Not really. The only "must haves" have been either multi-platform or are series continuations that appeal mostly to longtime fans. I considered Infamous Second Son the first must-have for the new generation, but I am a big fan of the Infamous series. Most gamers probably don't care about it.

Honestly, you'd get a much bigger bang for your buck by getting a PS3 and experiencing its exclusives (which you presumably haven't played if you're mostly a Xbox gamer on consoles). I never got into Xbox; I'm mostly a Sony and Nintendo guy when it comes to consoles. I got my first PS3 about 2 years ago, and I still play it far more than my PS4. I'm a bit unusual I guess, because my last console was a NES (and GBA on the handheld side). So I had a lot of PS2 games to catch up on, which the PS3 has as re-releases. I've found a lot of gems in that missed generation; I never knew I would fall so in love with the Ratchet & Clank series for example, and I'm happy the PS4 is getting a remake of the first game.

Anyway, the launch titles for the PS4 and Xbox One didn't really appeal to me so it probably wasn't worth me getting at this point, but I wanted my Infamous fix. 2015 will help shore up the "must haves" on the PS4 at least (I haven't really followed the Xbox One since I'm unlikely to get one), but there's no competing with the previous generation until this generation has had a few more years to build up.

I also think that this generation has seen Sony (again, not sure about Microsoft) more cautious to pump out tons of first-party AAA games. There are a lot of indies, which are good, but part of me wonders if this generation will EVER have a comparable lineup of must-have AAA games to previous generations.

News Comments > PC Valkyria Chronicles Includes DLC; Preorders Underway
11. Re: PC Valkyria Chronicles Includes DLC; Preorders Underway Oct 30, 2014, 20:02 Ecthelion

garrywong wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 18:19:
jonbly wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 16:14:
More importantly, it raises the possibility that the sequels might finally make their way to a decent platform...

Why would you want the PSP sequel on the PC? It was a completely different game, due to the nature of the PSP.
I am just finishing up the PSP sequel (the first one, they made a second that was Japan-only), and the only thing that is really inferior is the control limitations (mainly a single analog stick which is mostly moot playing it on the Vita), graphics, and story. The gameplay was actually improved and upgrading classes was more meaningful and fun.

I don't know how most PSP games were developed, but if the devs scaled down decent-sized textures for the PSP, a HD upgrade could look alright on PC. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD looked pretty decent on the PS3, it was no MGS4, but it was still serviceable.

News Comments > PC Valkyria Chronicles Confirmed
20. Re: PC Valkyria Chronicles Confirmed Oct 29, 2014, 14:05 Ecthelion

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 06:14:
Jerykk wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 03:07:
PHJF wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 15:08:
What a weird game to port: going on seven years old.

PC gamers missed out on this genre entirely: Front Mission, Fire Emblem, Disgaea...

That genre being... turn-based strategy? Pretty sure PC has plenty of that.

None even remotely as grand and crazy as Valkyria Chronicles...
Agreed, calling this TBS is inaccurate. Sure, it's technically true, but it's a very generic description for something that differs from others in its genre.

The way I've seen it described is actually RPG, which I think is more accurate. It's turn-based, but it's also real-time. You move your characters as part of a turn, but they have to endure suppressing fire while moving (which stops when nobody is moving or taking an action, allowing you to cheat the system somewhat).

Anyway, the story is the best part, and the basic premise is an alternate WW2, complete with an oppressed ethnic group, elitist racial supremacist aggressors, etc. Also, I disagree about the main characters' English voice actors.
Spoiler: They are both arguably naive idealists who would rather not be fighting (one more than the other), and their voices convey that.

1374 Comments. 69 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo