Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slashman

Real Name Slashman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I'm me...although some people may disagree. I know I do sometimes.
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2002, 15:16
Total Comments 2 (Suspect)
User ID 15028

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Take Two versus Duke
68. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2003, 19:14 Slashman

Duke Nukem Forever was NOT announced 5 years ago.

5 Years ago was when Half-Life was released an they started work on HL2.

DNF was announced at least 6 or 7 years ago. When Quake 3 was still in development. Hence the engine change when Unreal came out. I have no idea how many MORE engine changes were made...but the original Duke 3d came out in 96 and DNF was talked about a year later.

DNF is about 7 years old folks. NOT 5

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 19:15.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Freelancer Q&A
27. Re: Very Disappointing News Nov 1, 2002, 10:36 Slashman

Man...it's strange...

I never really thought that there would be such a scarceness of good space combat sims. Ever since the Freespace franchise breathed its last(except for the mod community), I've been waiting for SOMEONE to get it right with a new space sim.

I-Wars 2 WAS nicely done...but it lacked...personality. You didnt really feel for the characters. Plus the methods of 'buying' and 'selling' didnt lend it the feel of Privateer or Elite in terms of trying to work out which goods to push to which planet or station. The absence of the ability to land and do business at various stations was a downer as well.

I dont believe that Freelancer will be it for me. It might have a great story and graphics...but the control system will stand out in my mind as lacking.

There's something about jumping into a sleek fighter, punching the afterburners and playing chicken with an enemy fighter that mouse control just wont give.

Or the thrill of flying at ludicrous speeds along the length of an enemy cap ship...blasting turrets and avoiding objects along it's surface.

Space sims for me are about what WC, Freespace and Privateer gave us. The high flying, lasers blasting, missile dodging, tight turn pulling FUN that I just dont believe will be there in Freelancer.

Maybe I'm too harsh...but there are just some things that I think should be in a good space sim. Intense combat is DEFINITELY one of them. Letting computer AI decide if I want to barrel role is unthinkable.

Slashman out

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo