Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1453 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
12. Re: Sunday Mobilization May 4, 2014, 21:15 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on May 4, 2014, 20:10:
HorrorScope wrote on May 4, 2014, 19:38:
Seems to me like the biggest smartphones handle the tasks that most would need from a tablet. The tablets biggest win is doing something while mobile over a laptop, but a big smartphone can do it and more.

Smartphones are about mobility out of the house. Tablets are about mobility in it. A laptop isn't comfortable to use on a chair or a couch. Guess where most people browse the internet and do their stupid Buzzfeed quizzes?

Answer: not somewhere they can easily use a laptop.

People buy laptops sparingly now, because updates aren't very beneficial to someone not doing video editing or video games. People are now buying tablets sparingly, too, for the same reason - newer, better ones offer no real, tangible benefit worth even a fraction of the $500-$800 most are.

Having bought my last laptop mostly for video editing... I'm no fan of using laptops for video editing. Even the high-end ones are a bit lacking for that purpose.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
7. Re: Sunday Mobilization May 4, 2014, 19:25 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on May 4, 2014, 17:34:
Or a tablet laptop. I'd love an MS SP2 but at $1000 they can kiss 1000% of my ass.

Was seeing one of those Sony convertible laptops at Best Buy for like $850... hadn't paid much attention to them until seeing one, but if I had the money for it I'd strongly consider it. Specs are a bit unimpressive (then again, at that price I shouldn't be surprised), but it's a seriously striking bit of hardware. (Normally I'd say "Apple pretty", but Apple wishes in this case.)

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. May 4, 2014, 19:21 killer_roach

NetHead wrote on May 4, 2014, 15:52:
It seems Bitmap Brothers either have, or are trying to become the biggest franchise milker in the games industry.

Sure everyone loves pointing to Call of Duty there, though even each CoD is a new game however much it lacks innovation, whereas Bitmap Brothers at best slaps on a few new textures (mostly regarding the GUI) on an ancient game and expect people to eat it up like hot-cakes. These things aren't even "HD" remakes which are already a milking money grab no matter how great the a once was.

Taking this "Z" as an example the biggest difference between the original, which is approaching 20 years, and the new release when looking at screenshots of the newer on steam, is that the GUI map has changed. Pretty much the same goes for "The Chaos Engine", talk about kicking Call of Duty's arse when it comes to milking something.

Don't even get into them milking Speedball because that would make your head turn trying to keep track of all the remakes. The boldest of which was a complete and utter failure which could be seen coming from a year away even before they started talking about their money grubbing micro transaction ideas. Before you try saying Bitmap Brothers had nothing to do with that version "Mike Montgomery from Bitmap Brothers is supervising all steps in the development of the game".

How Bitmap Brothers still has anything remotely resembling respect from anyone is beyond me, that coming from someone who enjoyed some of their games once upon a time.

Come on, they haven't even gotten near Interplay territory yet.

Personally, I think it's more in the territory of "about damn time" they get stuff like Z available online... I wouldn't pay much for a game that old, but I might be tempted to snag it should it show up on GOG (or pick it up on a Steam sale).

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
10. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs May 3, 2014, 22:31 killer_roach

Quboid wrote on May 3, 2014, 22:05:
Jivaro wrote on May 3, 2014, 21:35:
You guys aren't acknowledging that they get to keep the tech, keep selling the phones, etc etc. They are essentially paying 120million dollars to license Apple's tech. I guarantee you that if in some weird alternate reality Samsung had licensed Apple's tech, it would have cost them a bunch more than 120million over the lifetime of said tech.

File this money under R&D, not legal fees.

They can still sell the phones that use these, but can they use these in future phones? The models mentioned aren't likely to be big sellers any more.

What I can't figure out is that both of the patents that Samsung was found to violate there exists prior art before Apple's own implementations...

News Comments > etc.
23. Re: etc. May 2, 2014, 23:05 killer_roach

Quboid wrote on May 2, 2014, 21:21:
HorrorScope wrote on May 2, 2014, 20:20:
Quboid wrote on May 2, 2014, 15:57:
Why is he in so much trouble with the NBA for this and not for denying housing on racial grounds? That's much, much worse.

Why. Two parts all sponsorship was leaving, has left. But even bigger than that and that is plenty big is the players were organizing a walk out. That forced immediate action.

Why didn't the sponsors walk after the earlier case? Why didn't player protest earlier? I understand the NBA's position, they had to act now because the fact of the matter is that their brand was being hurt by the negative publicity - but why wasn't there as big an outcry earlier? Was it just that the reference to going to games brought the NBA into it?

The difference between now and 2006 is that there's more of a social media response. Nobody really seemed to care about the lawsuit against Sterling back then, as it didn't really attract much news coverage. Today, a gossip site gets a hold of something, passes it along, and people get talking. That's more how news is made anymore.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization May 2, 2014, 18:49 killer_roach

Seeing that the first Android Silver device seems set to be made by Samsung, I'd argue that signs point to "no" on that one.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2014, 01:34 killer_roach

Pigeon wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 14:37:
Verno wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 12:41:
Linksil wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 11:59:
This is a complaint I really don't get. Even playing games that seem to need to be played in a darker room(infamous on dusk levels), I've never had a problem with the light bar.

Depends on where/how you sit, if your TV is glossy or matte, etc.

My complaint is slightly more practical, I just think its a waste of battery power. Before someone says "but its LED!!!", the LED in that thing is so bright they put a heavy dimmer in front of it. I get far better battery life when I'm using the DS4 on the PC with the lightbar turned off as well.

It really doesn't bother me much, but I understand that it bothers some people. I also understand how it can be particularly annoying when its completely possible to turn it off, but they're refusing to give that option for unexplained reasons. I'd probably turn it off, as it only serves as a flashlight in dark rooms, otherwise its just a battery drain.

At least the "Dim" setting is pretty unobtrusive. (For the record, the firmware allows you to set between "Dim", "Medium", and "Bright", with the previous default being "Bright".)

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - PC BloodRayne: Betrayal
7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - PC BloodRayne: Betrayal May 1, 2014, 20:37 killer_roach

jacobvandy wrote on May 1, 2014, 06:25:
I don't understand how they could fuck up this IP so bad. Sexy vampire inflicting shockingly gory violence on Nazis really hooked me when I was younger... Where did they go wrong? A victim of political correctness maybe?

Poor narrative combined with annoying level design overly dependent on set pieces and shockingly terrible controls will do in most any game they touch.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - PC BloodRayne: Betrayal
4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - PC BloodRayne: Betrayal Apr 30, 2014, 23:10 killer_roach

ViRGE wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 21:29:
I'm trying not to be snarky here. I really am. But did anyone ask for this? It was not exactly a well received game on the consoles.

I played it on the PS3, was rather disappointed in it. Honestly, I'd rather watch the Uwe Boll movie again.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 30, 2014, 22:03 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 21:34:
Gosh doesn't Xbox live just so fucking rock! 3 year old games you can get for less than $5!

In all fairness, this is their best attempt yet...

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 29, 2014, 23:00 killer_roach

CrimsonPaw wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 22:08:
I think it's awesome that the free (for Plus members) PS4 launch game will launch a YEAR after it was supposed to; I would probably be upset if I was a car game enthusiast.

I bought the PS4 as soon as I did primarily for Driveclub... am going to pick up Infamous Second Son pretty soon here, but beyond that it is a bit of a letdown.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Apr 29, 2014, 22:49 killer_roach

ldonyo wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 17:52:
CONSORTIUM is also on sale at GOG.com for the same 40% off, plus no Steam required!

Same price on the Humble Store as well, and that comes with a DRM-free version and a Steam key.

News Comments > 75 More Steam Greenlights
6. Re: 75 More Steam Greenlights Apr 29, 2014, 21:52 killer_roach

Ludomancer wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 19:59:
Seventy-fucking-five games. I don't pay any attention to this list, and this is pretty much why. I fully expect amazing games to fall through my radar. I fully expect the worthy ones to be picked up by word-of-mouth. Also: I love hyphens.

My usual metric for the strength of a Greenlight batch is how many of them I already have picked up from various indie bundles.

This one, with three... not one of the better ones.

News Comments > Rogue Shooter Demo
10. Re: Rogue Shooter Demo Apr 27, 2014, 22:46 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 22:12:
Fion wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 15:18:
Roguelikes are usually RPGs with procedurally generated levels and permadeath. The goal being get as far as you can/get as high a score as you can before you die and have to start over. Often they include lots of different techniques or powers to try out to see what combination works best.

They are called Roguelike because the idea was started with a game in the 80's called Rogue.

A roguelike shooter 'could' work, but the shooting would have to be super solid to not feel cheated in some deaths.
One of my favorite additions to the genre is from rogue legacy, where you can add powers over time, so even if you fail, you likely advanced an overall structure.
Anyone know of other games like that? Where there's like a meta structure outside of each attempt that you can affect? Sorta like an overall leveling scheme?

A few of the Japanese roguelikes have something like that, one of the more notable ones in that regard is Z.H.P. on the PSP. The same developers also did The Guided Fate Paradox on the PS3, which works similarly.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 26, 2014, 17:23 killer_roach

Amazon testing private delivery is nothing new - beyond the modernized systems they were testing in the UK, they also have contracted with private courier systems in developing markets like India.  

News Comments > Devolver Not Drawing Blood
3. Re: Devolver Not Drawing Blood Apr 26, 2014, 00:49 killer_roach

El Pit wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 00:45:
"Not happening."
"Too expensive."

Too bad.

Really a shame, since the current holder of the IP a) seems to have no interest in doing anything with it and b) are profoundly incapable of doing anything with it even if they wanted to.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Apr 25, 2014, 18:39 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 14:50:
France is the “second most important producer of video games in the world,” says French government…

I'd probably put Sweden above France. Also, the UK used to be great, but has fallen a bit by the wayside.

I wouldn't even say France is the most important French-speaking producer of video games in the world...

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 24, 2014, 21:21 killer_roach

avianflu wrote on Apr 24, 2014, 15:13:
odd unless perhaps there is a concern with ROM use.

Seems like they've just disabled the ability to download non-officially-supported legacy titles from the Download List on the Vita. Last I knew, you could still copy them from the PS3 to the Vita, and the ones that are downloadable off of the Vita's PSN Store app still work.

What I'm thinking it is is merely Sony trying to minimize the possibility of people running unsupported PSP/PS1 games and somehow resulted in software issues, but it does seem a bit odd, especially since they're supposed to officially announce all PSP/PS1 classic titles available on PSN will be compatible with the Vita pretty soon.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 23, 2014, 19:39 killer_roach

nin wrote on Apr 23, 2014, 18:54:
I'll be curious if The Sopranos is in HD, as they only released a few of the seasons on disc that way.

Was just about time to go through it again anyway!

No clue, but it is entirely possible. Remember that Amazon and Netflix (even before picking up exclusive rights to the show) had the first three seasons of Arrested Development in HD even though they were never released on a high-definition optical format (and, as far as I know, still have not).

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
6. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 19, 2014, 22:51 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Apr 19, 2014, 20:00:
And that's why it should be nationalized. Phones/Internet are essential to our way of life now. It's one thing the Middle-East has right. All this sort of stuff, gas, etc. are all nationalized and super fucking cheap for everyone. We pay through the nose and get shitty deals and service. So all those privatization freaks always complaining about government and how private industry does everything better and cheaper can go fuck themselves.

They're only super-cheap because those countries have massive publicly-owned mineral wealth per capita, and the rulers of those countries spend said money in search of buying support both at home (subsidies to phone service and gas, welfare programs) and abroad (public works projects, alternative energy installations). They aren't operated to be for-profit, or even non-profit. They're explicitly money pits, something that would be almost impossible to wrangle with American political economy. You basically either need an autocrat (monarch, dictator, military junta, etc.) or an extraordinarily wealthy social democracy (Norway, Liechtenstein) to pull off such a system for much beyond the short term.

1453 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo