Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1353 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

News Comments > Double Fine Crowdsourcing
28. Re: Double Fine Crowdsourcing Feb 9, 2012, 17:20 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 16:51:
Kajetan wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 13:04:
Verno wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 11:26:
I think everyone reasonable can agree the traditional publishing model is now reaching the point of absurdity when a company can somehow manage to sell a million copies of a title and not make a profit.
Just look at EA. A revenue of billions of dollars a year, no profit at all for years.

On paper. No profit at all on paper.

Trust me that that company's making plenty of money, but the wonderful IRS lets them deduct everything as an expense so ostensibly they wind up in the red and owe no taxes.

Creston

Corporate profit reported in their earnings statement != tax liability. They're two wildly different things, and to equate them is to be either woefully misinformed or deliberately disingenuous.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Double Fine Crowdsourcing
22. Re: Double Fine Crowdsourcing Feb 9, 2012, 16:38 killer_roach

ASeven wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 16:19:
Obviously this new business model has a lot of flaws. This is a business model based on human goodwill and my cynicism said and still says this will fail miserably, however Kickstarter and other crowdsourcing projects have survived the early huge bumps so maybe this model will last.

Crowdsourcing mostly works with established entities, and it's not particularly new.

In the music industry, Marillion has been using that model for their last handful of albums, and Spock's Beard did it on their most recent one.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 16:19 killer_roach

Nomaar wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 16:05:
I stand corrected on the rating, but what was capable about their rushing game? It ranked dead last in the NFL. Manning raised his game to another level this year and kept them afloat while the running game and the defense floundered.

It ranked last mostly because they didn't run very often. When you're running primarily to pick up short-yardage first downs, few yards and a low average is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 14:52 killer_roach

Nomaar wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 14:35:
Cutter wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 13:52:
The reason Eli will continue to get static is his lack of consistency. When he's on he's good, no one can deny that. It's just that he can only seem to do it half the time. Hence, the reason I still say the Giants are more lucky than good. I'd say Bradshaw has been the Giants real hero this season. The guy has made some phenomenal plays! Anyway, they definitely won it yesterday. Gratz.

Not this year's Manning. He had the second best rating in the league behind Rogers and set some kind of record for fourth-quarter touchdowns. He did this despite the fact that the team's running backs were basically MIA the first three quarters of the season. The guy was flawless this year and he was the reason they squeaked into the playoffs with a 9-7 record. And this is a Jets fan talking, btw.

Second-best rating in the fourth quarter.

Overall, he was seventh, behind Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Romo, Stafford, and Schaub.

And that's with an excellent offensive line, a capable running game, and a very good receiving corps.

I get the feeling Eli is a lot like Donovan McNabb (he does well due to the system around him), but, unlike McNabb, he can perform when he has to.

That's why he's got two rings.

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday?
16. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday? Feb 5, 2012, 17:13 killer_roach

pagb wrote on Feb 5, 2012, 17:03:
I'll take RAGE's looks over Skyrims any day. I can't believe people is praising Skyrim's graphics, 3 months ago everyone was throwing shit at it's graphics and engine... but haters gonna hate.

Oh, and I quite enjoyed RAGE (as well as a Skyrim, ofc)... much better than your usual military mashup campaign.

I wouldn't go that far, but I'll agree in part... Skyrim's graphics aren't that great.

But they aren't as bad as what RAGE's graphics were. RAGE seems to be a glorified tech demo, something that you'd kinda look at with some interest if it were the graduate thesis of a MA candidate in Computer Science, but beyond that...

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
4. Re: RE: Follow up Feb 5, 2012, 15:12 killer_roach

UConnBBall wrote on Feb 4, 2012, 23:09:
Of course the SOPA actually changes things. Who is our president changes very little.

And yet nobody really raised much of a peep until very late in the game on SOPA... it was in the pipeline for several months before much of anything was being talked about it online.

Simply put, if you're expecting people to mobilize to undo terrible legislation... then we're already screwed.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
5. Re: Saturday Consolidation Feb 5, 2012, 14:05 killer_roach

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 5, 2012, 13:12:
killer_roach wrote on Feb 5, 2012, 02:57:
Now the acronym means "thousand" in Japanese.
Considering how many japanese mock the sony over the PS, I can't see this having much in the way of having a positive impact on marketing for them.

I think it's just more the new Japanese leadership of the company trying to get back to their roots.

Then again, I'm sure Sony would gladly take being "mocked" in exchange for having a 10:1 sales advantage over the 360 there. (Of course, the 360's reputation as being a console for the creepy otaku may help this divide.)

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
3. Re: Saturday Consolidation Feb 5, 2012, 02:57 killer_roach

Now the acronym means "thousand" in Japanese.  

News Comments > Take-Two Financials
13. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 3, 2012, 19:14 killer_roach

ASeven wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 18:37:
netnerd85 wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 16:51:
ASeven wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 13:40:
And indie are quickly reaching AAA production standards, like Renegade X.
Think you will find the reason for that is a lot of "indie" developers are previous employees of BIG named companies. So they aren't your teenage/young pup developers, they are seasoned professionals turned "freelance" in a sense...

Wave goodbye to the publishers, they are no longer needed.

Which is what I've always said, devs are finding out that going indie is far better than being tied to a publisher. Hell, Notch refused to be hired by EA and that's a prime example of indie's attitudes today, they do not want to work in one of the most brutal work environments on present day.

Developers are slowly finding out that it's far more profitable, in work environment terms, in family terms, in available time terms and in financial terms if they make it good, to ditch the middle man that are publishers and go for it by themselves. And that's a bloody good thing.

All depends on the size, scale, and scope of the game you're doing. You don't see indies trying to make AAA titles for the most part - mostly because, on balance, they can't. For the foreseeable future, you'll need a publisher once your budgets exceed a certain level, and for many indies that level is astonishingly low (possibly anything over mid-five-figures is going to test the average indie dev's resolve to do on their own). It's not to say they can't make good games - just like in film or music, there's a lot of quality in the indie gaming scene - but their capacity for production value is, for the most part, considerably lower than it is for other forms of media.

Another interesting side note...
THQ's GAAP loss: $0.50 a share.
THQ's current share price: $0.53.
They lost almost the entire value of their company, and in the last quarter alone, no less.

News Comments > Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives
46. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 19:21 killer_roach

Julio wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 19:00:
I like how devs of games that suck blame piracy for their game being garbage. 38 Studios can go console exclusive for all it matters.

...and this is why we can't have anything nice.

40. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 17:45 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 17:33:
Also, as soon as next gen consoles hit, ports to PC will take a MAJOR step forward in graphics and shiny features. This silly stuff about many games still being released using DX 9 is because thats closer to what consoles use, and consoles are holding back game development on PC.

It's been rumored that the next Xbox will use either a Radeon HD 6xxx or 7xxx GPU... if the late 2013 release date holds, we may very well be seeing PCs with a 9xxx-class GPU and DirectX 12 in comparison.

With the original Xbox, Microsoft had a GPU that was marginally ahead of PCs at the time of launch (as it was halfway between the GeForce3 and GeForce4 when the GF3 was the high-end PC card), with the 360 was marginally behind (Radeon X1xxx-class versus HD 2xxx-class in PCs), and with the next console, if rumors are to be believed, it will be 2-3 full generations behind PCs.

Call me skeptical, but consoles going forward will only be more of a technological anchor, not less.

35. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 16:21 killer_roach

Bhruic wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 15:10:
So they likely can get more money making a new game for PC than for console.

The question isn't so much about what platform has the highest profit margin, it's whether the amount they "lose" to piracy is equal to or greater than the amount they make from consoles. Now, if there truly was a 1:1 piracy:lost sale ratio, then yes, that could be the case, but I think even publishers are well aware that's not the case.

Agreed.

I have a rather idiosyncratic view on piracy anyway, so I doubt I'll change any minds from publishers, but I see casual piracy mostly as a function of people being either unable to properly ascertain the value of a particular game to themselves or that they feel like there is no likelihood that they will be able to justify the price of the game at any point in their planning horizon.

That means, in the former case, there are things you could do to help that (proper demos / trial versions of a game can go along way here), and they may even come back to buy the game legitimately later on, and in the latter case they're likely not going to buy the game no matter what.

Ultimately, it comes down to coming up with a product that people are willing to pay you what you're charging for it, and that's something that publishers have largely lost sight of.

30. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 14:50 killer_roach

Bhruic wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 14:36:
Now, ask publishers if they would rather have a PC-exlusive title that had no piracy, or as PC/XBox360/PS3 release that had piracy. Financially speaking, the latter is going to earn them substantially more money than the former (all other factors being equal).

Here's the rub, though - thanks to digital distribution, it's likely that a new PC game is more profitable, unit per unit, than a new console game, which has to not only go through manufacturing and retail, but also has to deal with console licensing fees. So they likely can get more money making a new game for PC than for console.

The problem, mind you, lies in the fact that PC gamers seem to expect a much faster rate of price drops on games than their console counterparts do... so your window to get those larger profits is quite narrow indeed.

In terms of pricing strategy, what would seem like a profit-maximizing approach would be (apart, mind you, from making some sort of promotional agreement with Microsoft or Sony, which would likely be more lucrative yet) to release a new AAA title first on PC at $60 for about 30-60 days (with possibly the promise of bonus DLC to spur early purchases), then launch on consoles at the same price point and simultaneously give the PC version the customary $10-20 haircut. You're effectively continuing the process of price discrimination by willingness to wait, but taking a new half-step to get larger (per-unit) profits from the PC crowd first.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
5. Re: Hardware Reviews Jan 31, 2012, 19:35 killer_roach

Ray Marden wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 18:54:
But...you get performance equivalent to much older cards at a current day premium price. Where are the significant updates in performance? It's bad enough that the consoles are holding back the entire PC market, but the industry isn't even trying to improve the technology that much - they just want you to get a second, third, or even fourth card.

Unless there's need to price lower, it's not in their best interest - especially considering they spent a large amount in R&D on a new GPU architecture. Considering what the first batch of driver updates did for the 7970, there's still some upward movement to go on that architecture, and it's now (apart from BF3) pretty clearly faster than similarly-priced Nvidia cards (for now).

Better for AMD to take the money while they can and then have room to price downward once Nvidia releases their next flagship GPU.

Regardless, you'd be insane to buy a 79xx card right now unless you absolutely need to upgrade right away.

News Comments > THQ Receives Stock Delisting Warning
2. Re: THQ Receives Stock Delisting Warning Jan 31, 2012, 11:29 killer_roach

DeadFire87 wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 11:09:
SOLD!!!!! haha. Someone BUY IT.

I'm guessing they have a significant amount of debt on their balance sheet if they haven't been bought out already - hell, the daily lunch tab at EA likely approaches THQ's market cap.

My guess is nobody makes a move on them until they enter Chapter 11, which, if they get delisted, will likely happen pretty fast (as their ability to raise more capital would be almost zero).

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
17. Re: Ron Paul seeks to unmask YouTube user who uploaded offensive Huntsman ad. Post Comment Jan 30, 2012, 18:29 killer_roach

Bhruic wrote on Jan 30, 2012, 17:18:
Furthermore, what laws do you think corporations are breaking right now? What law did the banks break leading up to 2008? Point me to one.

Exactly. Lots of people were complaining that no one on Wall Street has been prosecuted over the financial crisis, and how unfair that is when compared to case X. But the reality is that they (for the most part) didn't break any laws - there weren't any laws in this area for them to have to break. If you remove regulations, and just let the corporations do what they want, claiming you are "enforcing the law" is pretty pointless.

Beyond that - in many cases they were doing specifically what the government incentives would dictate they do. Not that regulators intended that, mind you, they just either a) had some lofty domestic policy goals in mind (encouraging home ownership) and couldn't be bothered with secondary effects, or b) created particular rules without realizing that they could be circumvented in the future (when bank capitalization rules were made, for instance, nobody imagined that you could artificially create AAA-rated bond instruments from lesser-rated debt).

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Ron Paul seeks to unmask YouTube user who uploaded offensive Huntsman ad. Post Comment Jan 30, 2012, 16:28 killer_roach

eunichron wrote on Jan 30, 2012, 15:43:
Beamer wrote on Jan 30, 2012, 15:32:
Do you honestly think that just taking away the government's ability to do ANYTHING will solve the problem more?

You completely missed the point. That's not what any Libertarian is advocating, that would be anarchism. What government should be doing, and already has the capability to do, is enforcing the law.

Agreed. Most people criticizing libertarianism have no idea of what libertarianism actually is. While some anarchists would consider themselves to be libertarians, the two ideologies are wildly different.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2012, 15:16 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jan 30, 2012, 11:11:
Well I pretty much nailed the spread, just the wrong way, lol! So odd as the NFC dominates it most of the time.

All-time, the AFC and the NFC are 21-21 in the Pro Bowl.

Might've been 22-20 NFC had Cam Newton not played, though. Somebody please explain to me why he was a Pro Bowler and Matt Stafford wasn't.

News Comments > PixelJunk Eden on Steam Next Week
3. Re: PixelJunk Eden on Steam Next Week Jan 29, 2012, 16:23 killer_roach

deqer wrote on Jan 29, 2012, 15:13:
The screenshot posted does the game no justice. I have no idea what this game is about, but I can tell you this--that screenshot shows me nothing; it makes no sense, and looks boring.

Perhaps next time these bloggers can get with the times--it's 2012 now--and start posting a video instead of a screenshot that shows practically nothing.

Being a bit of a fan of the game, I'd argue that you're not going to get a good understanding of what the game is about from any screenshots. You'll probably have to see the game in motion to grasp what is going on, as the game itself is pretty abstract.

News Comments > PC Rayman Origins in March
9. Re: PC Rayman Origins in March Jan 27, 2012, 00:26 killer_roach

Kitkoan wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 23:34:
Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 22:27:
Prince of Persia got released DRM free at retail and was pirated like crazy. This probably will be too.

Spore was released with what was considered the worst DRM at its time... and was the most pirated game...

Piracy seems to follow a game where people are unable to adequately evaluate for themselves what the value of the game is to them, or if the cost of the game greatly exceeds people's perceived value of it...

1353 Comments. 68 pages. Viewing page 40.
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo