Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1453 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. May 10, 2012, 13:04 killer_roach

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 10, 2012, 11:22:
Anyone who buys that crap from retail stores needs their head checked. I guess unless it is a gift, which most sites allow gift options anyway - you end up paying a tax.

You realize for some people that's their preferred method, as that way they don't have to use their credit card online (or don't need a credit or debit card at all - just pay cash for the voucher).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation May 10, 2012, 10:58 killer_roach

Malachii wrote on May 10, 2012, 10:47:
Could this have to do with the hacking downtime and them basically rebuilding the environment?

The report was misread. Most of that loss came from their television business, not from the PlayStation division specifically (not surprisingly - Sony's pretty much conceded the high-end HDTV game to Samsung, but their prices still aren't good enough to compete with the likes of LG, Sharp, or Panasonic).

Additionally, they had a fair bit of capital expenditures related to rebuilding facilities in Thailand damaged or destroyed by flooding... that's never cheap.

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Kickstarter
26. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Kickstarter May 9, 2012, 16:51 killer_roach

ForgedReality wrote on May 9, 2012, 16:45:
TDR 2000 was BY FAR the best Carmageddon game. Too bad it wasn't done by these guys. Oh well. Maybe they can redeem themselves. Maybe.

Wait... WHAT?

Most Carmageddon fans will tell you TDR 2000 was an absolute abomination.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse May 9, 2012, 15:52 killer_roach

Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 9, 2012, 14:12:
Given that Facebook has openly admitted that they have no idea how to monetize mobile users of their site which is quickly becoming how the majority will access it says a lot. I also wonder how many investors are going to be smart enough to sell their Apple stock because the fashion bubble on them bursts and their sales drop to a sustainable level. That stock is going to drop like a rock when the current unrealistic growth plateaus.

What Apple has going for it is an absolutely ridiculous profit margin (in the range of 30%)... that gives them a lot of room to play with going forward. If sales drop off, they can always reduce prices or introduce hardware with narrower margins if need be and remain profitable.

Agreed on Facebook with mobile users, though. I actually read through the entirety of their S-1 filing (almost 200 pages!), and the thing that struck me the most was the fact that Facebook in the past year has had their revenues roughly triple but their profit has slightly declined (not profit margins, gross profit). This raises all sorts of alarm bells in my head, everything from possible problems with their organizational structure to overhiring for areas where growth was not as fast as anticipated to, going back to the Zynga example, overpaying for hot companies ($1B for Instagram? Really?).

8. Re: Morning Metaverse May 9, 2012, 14:06 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on May 9, 2012, 13:52:
Very out of whack.
But buying OMGWTF or whatever that company was is a bit ridiculous. One product of value with very quickly diminishing user count.

But hey, this is the year of the 1 billion dollar company with no revenues.

Zynga was worth as much as $11 billion before the downward correction started... if they stop with the dumb acquisitions they might be able to settle in to a place where the stock makes sense around $5-6 a share (market cap of about $4-5 billion), but "growth by acquisition" is a dangerous strategy for a company that's not already matured.

Could be worse, could be the Facebook IPO that's upcoming, which I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. It's profitable, but it's spiraling upward in size without improving its profits. (Unless you are assuming the company will start seeing its profits mushrooming, its earnings would indicate a market cap somewhere in the $10 billion range, not an order of magnitude higher.)

5. Re: Morning Metaverse May 9, 2012, 13:48 killer_roach

Creston wrote on May 9, 2012, 12:16:
EA CEO John Ricitieieieitielelelo, after having recently spent 1.25 billion dollars on Popcap, and other notable acquisitions such as Bioware for 640 million dollars, and Mythic software (now no longer in existence) for ~300 million dollars, says that Zynga paid waaaaaay too much for whatever for 180 million dollars.

Or, to summarize:

Pot to kettle: "You are black."

Creston

Zynga's market cap: $6.57 billion
EA's market cap: $4.89 billion

Needless to say, those numbers should seem as out of whack as they appear (especially considering EA, unlike Zynga, was profitable last quarter).

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Kickstarter
5. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Kickstarter May 8, 2012, 23:56 killer_roach

Jerykk wrote on May 8, 2012, 22:59:
Wallshadows wrote on May 8, 2012, 22:47:
including true rag-doll pedestrians

Awesome. I hope they don't give a fuck about the negative wrap this will inevitably get and cave.

It's an indie game so they don't have to worry about publishers or the ESRB. They can do whatever they want (as long as it doesn't violate Steam's TOS).

That said, $400k seems a bit light for both a single-player and multiplayer game. Multiplayer alone is a costly endeavor, what with all the networking and testing involved. If Stainless wants to generate more revenue, they really should put the Carmageddon games up on GOG and any other digital distributors that are willing to sell it.

From the sounds of their pitch, it sounds like they're confident in their ability to finish the project regardless of whether the Kickstarter is funded, they just decided they would do a Kickstarter as a glorified pre-order in order to get better interaction from the fan community.

News Comments > Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc?
9. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 6, 2012, 14:52 killer_roach

Bopper wrote on May 6, 2012, 13:56:
DLC should be extra content that is made after development. The price of the DLC goes towards paying for the production of the new content. This kind of day one DLC or any kind of day one DLC is just plain balls.

I'd argue that DLC is a method of price discrimination, extracting more than the MSRP from people who clearly are enjoying the game enough to pay more than MSRP over the game's life cycle. If anything, it's a nod to the realization that they can't raise the sticker price of the game beyond $60 without encountering pushback.

That being said, who wants to bet that this sort of thing ends up further incentivizing digital distribution on PC? No need to distribute anything more than the base game until absolutely necessary.

News Comments > On EA and Indies
7. Re: On EA and Indies May 5, 2012, 19:39 killer_roach

RollinThundr wrote on May 5, 2012, 16:33:
Really what EA does with EA Partners is the same thing Valve does. Look for a cut, and if they like you enough they'll buy you out like they did with Bioware & Pandemic. Unfortunately that's where the greed and EA's shift from being about artist way back when and profits now collide. Pandemic is no more, Bioware I'll be shocked to not see shuttered in 5 years time.

I'd imagine Trip Hawkins is pretty disappointed at what EA has become.

Valve has bought out developers whose work they liked as well.

Let's be perfectly honest - in the eyes of many here, EA can't do anything right. That's irrational.

News Comments > Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition Announced
9. Re: Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition Announced May 4, 2012, 15:13 killer_roach

Prez wrote on May 4, 2012, 13:42:
There's nothing outdated about being miffed about install limits on software you legally own. It's become a more prevalent practice as time has gone on, so it's rather timely to be sure. It's a bullshit practice that needs to die.

Still, I love the Blood Bowl games; assuming there's enough to differentiate this version from previous iterations I'll buy it. Install limits, while an annoying bunch of crap, are not a deal-breaker for me.

Agreed. The limits simply reduce my perception of the value that the game provides - they're not a deal-breaker.

(That being said, it typically means such games end up going into my "wait for one hell of a Steam sale" level of prioritization.)

22. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 18:18 killer_roach

Prez wrote on May 2, 2012, 14:42:
nin wrote on May 2, 2012, 13:43:
Arrested Development was also listed as a show that Netflix was interested in reviving, but I never heard if anything came of it.

You might want to step out of your cave then.

I'm like the guy on the Geico commercial who lives under a rock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvXqm0RdJms

The way to get Prez's attention would be if they announced a game being developed based on the show.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2012, 13:19 killer_roach

Verno wrote on May 2, 2012, 10:07:
Rumour: Sony looking at multiple sub tiers for PlayStation Plus.

Sony first needs to provide actual value for those tiers to justify the price.

I'd say it's been worth it... granted, a lot of the freebies are stuff I'd likely wait until it was on some sort of a sale to buy, but I'd say it's easily been worth the price I've paid for it.

News Comments > Questionable Kickstart Cancelled
18. Re: Questionable Kickstart Cancelled May 1, 2012, 14:24 killer_roach

Creston wrote on May 1, 2012, 14:18:
Beamer wrote on May 1, 2012, 13:08:
I don't even get why these guys did this much of a scam.

Just discuss an awesome idea, show some concept art, put the figure low by saying you have some personal financing, and get $10k-$20k of free money.
Then say the project fell through. No one can really do anything to prove otherwise, and I don't believe there's any accountability.

It's still fraud, and thus you can still get criminal charges filed against you. So yay for running from the FBI for 20K?

Creston

The FBI won't likely get involved over $20K... at least, not directly.

Not that running from state law enforcement is any better... either way, you're up against an adversary who can put more resources into making sure your ass is thrown in jail than you could ever hope to imagine possessing. If they want you locked up, they can make it happen.

30. Re: Morning Metaverse May 1, 2012, 02:40 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 20:50:
BTW, AT&T now has caps too.
As I recall its 150 gb for normal DSL and 250gb for u-verse.

PLEASE PLEASE BUY OUR STUFF TO WATCH OUR TV SERVICE (but if you do, please don't watch it, because we have limits!)

They haven't implemented the cap on my U-Verse connection, then again, I do subscribe to their IPTV services. That might be why I haven't had those issues, if the theories are correct.

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 30, 2012, 16:01 killer_roach

Jivaro wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 14:49:
Prez, if you don't mind me asking...how the hell do you get over 250GB? I mean, I am sure I could do it if I tried, I might even be persuaded to believe that I have done it before....but on a regular basis? Job related?

There's a lot of ways you can blow past 250GB a month. A friend of mine, simply due to data sets he's downloading for research (he's a Ph.D. in meteorology), can burn through 100-150GB a day ad infinitum.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Apr 30, 2012, 15:55 killer_roach

eunichron wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 15:48:
If game developers are using former and current military as advisers on their projects, why are the games still so unrealistic?

Because realism isn't fun. Full stop.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete
21. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 17:33 killer_roach

Dmitri_M wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 17:30:
killer_roach wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 17:18:
That's why Kickstarter is interesting to me - not only is it a disruptive technology, it's allowing for all kinds of grand experiments.
It sounds like you're treating games like some high concept art project. I'm simply looking for a return to decent gameplay driven titles. I don't see KS as a build-up or a first step towards something "bigger". We've seen where "bigger" leads. Bigger means wide appeal and simpler titles with graphic styles and gameplay that appeal to the masses. From what I've seen the KS titles are driven by old gamers, the sorts of people current COD only playing "modern gamers" would dismiss as nerds. These people created the titles I grew up with, it's very clear to me what they aim to produce. Good new titles. Beyond that I have no expectations.

I'm an economist - anything that toys with how production, supply, demand, and pricing operate is bound to capture my interest.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete
19. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 17:18 killer_roach

Dmitri_M wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 17:07:
WarpCrow wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 15:06:
In my dreams, this game will be a huge commercial success and inspire a publisher like Bethesda to invest in a big budget open world RPG. Complete freedom of character development, combined with a party system, set in the Shadowrun universe with two or three diverse cities/regions to explore, a deep, fleshed out Matrix and Astral Plane...
I think that's what we're actually going to get with the KS titles..?

I really cannot wait for the old school top down perspectives these KS titles will offer without the 3D resource heavy "open world" FPS titles dressed up as RPGs.

Really, what I like about all of these Kickstarter projects, at a variety of different approaches, is that we're seeing some fundamental re-thinking of what a development studio and a development process is. For too long, it's been a binary choice - do you want a small, simple game with little production value, or do you want a large, highly-produced title that likely skimps on content as a sacrifice to the realities of the market your publisher is having to play to? Over the last couple of years, we've seen people try to chip away at that boundary, but Kickstarter is allowing people to accelerate this process by getting word out there of what they want to do and how they plan on getting there.

Have we figured it out yet? Of course not - that's sheer hubris. However, once this first wave of titles reaches fruition, we'll see what works, what doesn't, why they did what they did, and the process will iterate.

That's why Kickstarter is interesting to me - not only is it a disruptive technology, it's allowing for all kinds of grand experiments.

News Comments > Arrowhead Moving On
2. Re: Arrowhead Moving On Apr 28, 2012, 19:54 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Apr 28, 2012, 07:59:
Magicka must not be THAT trying for them, they keep releasing DLC and its apparently selling fairly well

That being said, they've been working on it longer than they probably expected to... can't blame them for at least wanting to do something different for a while, if only to break out of a rut.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Apr 27, 2012, 17:38 killer_roach

Dmitri_M wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 12:07:
What is there left to emulate?

Plenty, although I'm sure that a lot of the work now is going to migrate over to the MESS side of things, which is likely why the MESS project head is now taking over MAME. Wouldn't be surprised if the two projects ultimately merged completely.

1453 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 40.
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo