Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1465 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends
10. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 29, 2012, 23:20 killer_roach

Prez wrote on May 29, 2012, 23:14:
Everyone needs to be reminded that prior to the complete edition none of the Dragon Age Origins DLC was obtainable through Steam yet it remained on Steam throughout; given that their stated reason for pulling some of their games off of Steam is demonstrably false, I think it's safe to say EA is, as usual, full of shit.

It could be that Valve changed their rules, or they decided to start enforcing the rules they previously had...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation May 29, 2012, 19:42 killer_roach

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 29, 2012, 18:47:
It looks like the next gen of consoles are going to be behind PCs at launch.

And potentially badly. The rumor going around is that the next Xbox is likely to have a very similar CPU to the 360 (possibly increasing from three to four cores) and a Radeon HD 6xxx-class GPU, while the PS4/Orbis is rumored to use a quad-core x86 AMD CPU and a Radeon HD 7xxx-class GPU. Meanwhile, if these consoles are coming out in late 2013, it will be at a time when AMD will likely be about to unveil its Radeon HD 9xxx-class GPUs, and Intel's next major CPU microarchitecture will be out...

To say that the next generation of consoles look like they'll be almost immediately slaughtered by PCs is an understatement.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation May 29, 2012, 13:04 killer_roach

NegaDeath wrote on May 29, 2012, 12:01:
Wookiestick wrote on May 29, 2012, 11:47:
I'd be curious to know if UE4 won't support Wii U because it isn't fast enough or because of it's vastly different CPU/GPU architecture isn't worth the effort.

At this point we aren't even sure if PS4/Nextbox will support it either with the specs Epic are asking for.

The main stumbling block for the Wii U is going to be the shader architecture it supports... I'm assuming that its GPU is likely DX10-class hardware. For the other next-generation consoles, Epic is going to complain up and down about not having enough RAM, but you can work around a lack of RAM a little more easily than not having certain hardware features available.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2012, 12:29 killer_roach

PHJF wrote on May 29, 2012, 12:04:
Summer my ass, it's noon and only 76 in NC. Hardly what I'd call beach weather.

It hit 98 here in MI on Sunday, although we've since had a "cold front" go through and knock temps down to the low 80s.

This has been a screwy year for temps.

News Comments > Op Ed
42. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 01:56 killer_roach

Jerykk wrote on May 29, 2012, 00:47:
No, I'm pretty sure that Diablo 3 got away with it because it's Diablo 3.

Bullseye. I'd point out something else that it would indicate, but it would probably go over pretty poorly around here (just something that pretty basic economic instincts would illustrate with this situation).

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
24. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 28, 2012, 22:42 killer_roach

entr0py wrote on May 28, 2012, 17:00:
No that's incredibly far off, check out Wikipedia. It breaks down like this.

Total assets

Microsoft $108.7 Billion

Sony $167.3 Billion

Nintendo $20.1 Billion

Assets != cash on hand.

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed May 28, 2012, 22:41 killer_roach

Jerykk wrote on May 28, 2012, 22:33:
True, but that's assuming that this becomes a standard practice. Diablo 3 got away with it because it's Diablo 3. Very few other brands hold such strength in the PC market. Ubisoft tried it with multiple brands and utterly failed, causing them to eventually revoke the online-only requirement. I'd be surprised if any non-Blizzard game could get away with the same DRM scheme.

I'm pretty sure Valve could, although I wouldn't consider it all that likely from them. You never know, though.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed May 28, 2012, 16:05 killer_roach

Can't really compare D3 to EA's titles, much less D2, mostly because of one salient point, that being that Blizzard's servers are required to play D3 at all.

If EA closes their servers, or Blizzard stops supporting D2, online play is gone, but you could still play the game offline. If Blizzard shuts down D3 servers, the game ceases to exist.

20. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 28, 2012, 14:43 killer_roach

Rea1One wrote on May 28, 2012, 11:22:
killer_roach wrote on May 27, 2012, 21:27:
You say "native 1080p console" like that's supposed to mean something.
You obviously don't care about True HD gaming. So each to their own.

Okay, I've tried to be nice, but now to bash the blindingly obvious into your skull:

The only hardware that has a "native" resolution is your display. So the Wii U has a native resolution for its controller's integrated display, but the rest is purely the decisions of the software developers as to how they balance things like resolution, texture size, shader complexity, and geometry levels against the specs of the hardware (CPU/GPU).

And that gets us back to the most salient point - the Wii U's hardware specs, as far as anyone knows, aren't finalized yet. If anything, you'll see most of the early games being developed with rather conservative use of processing resources as a result.

Additionally, just because the hardware is newer doesn't make it more powerful by default - look at the Wii, after all...

7. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 27, 2012, 21:27 killer_roach

Rea1One wrote on May 27, 2012, 20:21:
killer_roach wrote on May 27, 2012, 19:31:
Clearly you're using some definition of "pretty obvious" that most people are not familiar with.

You might be surprised but there are a lot of people that are unaware that the Wii U is a native 1080p console.

You say "native 1080p console" like that's supposed to mean something.

5. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 27, 2012, 19:31 killer_roach

Rea1One wrote on May 27, 2012, 18:52:
its pretty obvious Wii U is a 1080p console while Xbox 360 and PS3 has 99% 720p games.

Clearly you're using some definition of "pretty obvious" that most people are not familiar with.

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale May 27, 2012, 02:10 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on May 27, 2012, 01:19:
Well, Valve isn't a particularly litigious company, but has used lawsuits to protect its names in the past like when they recently sued Blizzard for violating the DOTA trademark. This is a slightly different kettle of fish, more like when Bethesda went after Mojang for Scrolls. It remains to be seen if Valve feels this site goes too far: exactly same business model, URL only 2 letters different, & similar site layout. These guys are skirting awfully close to the line.

Well, from looking at Valve's Legal page, "Steam Powered" is not among their list of trademarks... that being said, could it possibly infringe upon their Steam trademark, not to mention their main Steam domain name? Quite probable.

I can't say definitively if Storm Eagle is violating any trademarks of Valve's, but it's something that Valve's lawyers would likely want to be in touch with them over.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed May 26, 2012, 21:03 killer_roach

I wouldn't say indie studios are thriving... some indie studios are, just as some AAA studios are. I'd say the failure rate of indie studios is likely far higher, but that would cut against the argument they're trying to make.

Simply put, to use a baseball metaphor (something the company's founder might know a thing or two about), 38 Studios took a home run cut on a first pitch change-up in the dirt. To get the funding they wanted quickly, they made promises that simply were impossible to meet, and as a result, the studio should be faulted (for setting those expectations) as should the state of Rhode Island (for thinking that said expectations were based in reality).

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale May 26, 2012, 00:34 killer_roach

Alamar wrote on May 26, 2012, 00:28:
Rather glad I didn't pick up Confrontation at $40, and now that it's already half off, I think I'll wait a bit...

-Alamar

Likewise. I saw it at first, was kinda intrigued, but immediately thought "that's not worth $40... maybe $15."

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 24, 2012, 12:18 killer_roach

Sounds like the same exploit that was talked about a month or so ago...  

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black May 24, 2012, 03:29 killer_roach

Fantaz wrote on May 24, 2012, 00:02:
For some reason this new ShootMania trailer reminds me a lot of Unreal...

I heard Epic didn't really make Unreal, but it was a Canadian company called DigitalExtremes?

Digital Extremes developed the add-on pack for Unreal, as well as the multiplayer add-on for Unreal 2.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Alan Wake’s American Nightmare
14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alan Wake’s American Nightmare May 23, 2012, 19:52 killer_roach

Rea1One wrote on May 23, 2012, 17:59:
Luv the 15% off from owning the original game on steam!

I got it from GOG when they had their preorder promotion of "buy Alan Wake and get American Nightmare 25% off".

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale May 20, 2012, 21:13 killer_roach

Dmitri_M wrote on May 20, 2012, 20:54:
Prez wrote on May 20, 2012, 20:06:
Buyer beware on Annoy 2070: unrevocable activations (only 3) and changing out a video card or adding memory requires re-activation.

I would have bought it myself if it were not for that. With DRM like that it's barely worth 5 bucks.

Just for the record Bluebyte patched the DRM to prevent video card\RAM changes consuming an activation. The activations reset after 30 days and apparently they'll give you a new activation if you contact UBI directly, but from what I've read they ask for a scanned barcode and proof of purchase. Which is less than Adobe asks for when I run out of activations for Photoshop. Adobe simply takes my word for it, and this is over online IM support. About as impersonal as it gets. Photoshop also costs about 10x what Anno costs.

Scanned barcode... for a game bought on Steam...

...yeah, I'd be screwed if I bought that game.

(That being said, the resetting of activations, if true, is very nice.)

News Comments > Mad Riders Announced
1. Re: Mad Riders Announced May 19, 2012, 23:20 killer_roach

Interesting... been a while since Techland's done a racing game.  

News Comments > Origin Woos Crowd-Funded Games
6. Re: Origin Woos Crowd-Funded Games May 18, 2012, 21:17 killer_roach

ASeven wrote on May 18, 2012, 21:05:
The thread pretty much reflects my feelings. I don't care if it's on Origins as long as they don't get trapped by EA with some shady contract. As long as Origins is one of the various distributors for the game and not the only distributor I don't care. But it's EA we're talking about and more than likely there will be an awful catch since that is EA's nature.

EDIT: For information purposes, EA's shares are exactly at $14 per share. That's 1998 level of stock price.

Of course, EA is, IMO, a fairly undervalued company right now - as I pointed out the other day, they had $200 million in profits last quarter and still are valued less than Zynga (who posted a loss)... but that's neither here nor there, really.

Sure, EA is doing this for their own motives. We get that. But this is precisely the sort of developer outreach they need to make Origin a viable platform. It's not a perfect situation, but a solution that benefits both the developers and EA, with little cost to either, is pretty solid.

1465 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo