Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1351 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve Worth $3B?
16. Re: Valve Worth $3B? Mar 7, 2012, 22:32 killer_roach

reisub wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 21:30:
nin wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 21:23:
And we'll still take them over EA.
Maybe they'll take EA over.

EA is currently worth about $5.5 billion. Considering the typical premium related to a hostile takeover, it'd take about $8-9 billion to acquire them.

If Valve were to go public, they could likely acquire that much in cash to buy EA (the $3 billion valuation, IMO, is very, very conservative - considering some rumors of Valve's profits it could be a $20 billion company). That being said, EA stock has been floundering (down about 15% in the past twelve months, down about 40% from the 52-week high)... what it may take to buy them right now might not be what it'll take a year from now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2012, 00:44 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 23:42:
AnointedSword wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 23:20:
Big business huh? GOP has been fighting for the rights of small businesses for years. Because anyone with half a brain knows a small business can turn into (gasp) big business! /bitesnails What, you support big government? Watch what you wish for, big business you can walk away from...big government will force its will on you...big difference...

Your delusions would be funny if they weren't so sad. It never ceases to boggle my mind how disconnected from reality you GOP supporters are. GOP = tax breaks for the rich/big biz only. Democrats = working people/small business.

It was Republican opposition that killed SOPA/PIPA. Every single remaining sponsor of either bill is a Democrat.

Which should come as no surprise - the Democratic Party relies on the media industry as a major backer, and they get their back scratched whenever they claim to have an itch.

News Comments > Tracing Rays Through the Cloud
13. Re: Tracing Rays Through the Cloud Mar 5, 2012, 18:28 killer_roach

Seems like Intel's trying desperately to get people to buy their chips one way or the other... and it's ironically somewhat their fault. They pushed the mobile trend to gain ground from AMD, only to find people could do small and low power better than them.

So now they're trying to position themselves as being glorified remote co-processors for smart phones and tablets.

Sad.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Plans?
27. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 15:03 killer_roach

Overon wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 14:41:
8 GB of RAM? Is the entire game supposed to fit into RAM?

Less RAM than my desktop... and besides, RAM is cheap.

News Comments > Syndicate Solicits Pirates
18. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 24, 2012, 23:42 killer_roach

Sepharo wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 23:38:
I think he was joking Dev.
Making a point about Steam's ubiquity in most PC gamer's purchasing habits.

Personally, I don't care that much one way or the other where I get it. Inconvenience will lower my willingness to pay, of course, but it's not like Origin makes buying or playing games particularly difficult.

Seems more like the usual ritual sucking off of Valve among the people here than anything. I doubt it's costing EA all that many sales - if it were, they would've relented on this practice by now.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 24, 2012, 16:11 killer_roach

Bhruic wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 11:51:
Did Congress run on "hope and change" and I didn't notice it?

Most of the Internet regulation so far hasn't been coming through Congress (with the exceptions of the now-dormant SOPA/PIPA), but rather through the FCC, which is part of the executive branch of government.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 22, 2012, 13:24 killer_roach

Verno wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 11:28:
I think the real thing they misjudged was putting out yet another proprietary memory format. Not acceptable these days when we have perfectly usable formats like SDHC or etc, particularly when your device is entering a crowded marketplace where it needs rapid adoption.

Problem being that a lot of microSDHC cards are also incredulously slow, and would likely be unsuitable for most modern games (the typical microSDHC card is equivalent in speed to a 1-4x DVD drive). Maybe they could've done some sort of qualifying cards for use in Vita similar to how Windows qualifies flash drives for use with ReadyBoost in Vista and 7... although that would create its own set of issues. I'll have my Vita later today, and will benchmark the transfer rate of the memory card to see if that's something that's feasible for a microSDHC card to do (if it exceeds Class 10 speeds, then it would be safe to say microSD cards are effectively ruled out for Vita games).

I can understand why they'd want to make the move to their own format, but the pricing (and the availability of those 16GB cards) remains problematic.

News Comments > Be Mine Indie Bundle
6. Re: Be Mine Indie Bundle Feb 21, 2012, 18:54 killer_roach

Kitkoan wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 18:17:
Just bought it.... and now I can't get the site to load. Am I the only one having this issue or does the site now seem to be down?

*edit* Working now... maybe they are just getting hammered. Its a good pack

I've gotten stuff from that site before (Umphrey's McGee has done a couple of charity music bundles through them)... and yeah, they tend to have issues with demand.

News Comments > President's Day Mobilization
4. Re: President's Day Mobilization Feb 20, 2012, 13:44 killer_roach

Tumbler wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 12:43:
A decade of support for Vita...right...

A few things they can do to make the vita better. Put out memory cards for that game slot so someone can use 2 memory cards at the same time. Assuming someone wants to go 100% digital this would give them the most options possible.

Find a way for all those movie codes you get now, those digital copies, to be loaded on this device so you can watch them anywhere for the duration of that time.

If all the PSN titles worked on this thing that would probably be a huge selling point.

My wonder was why they didn't decide to do a bifurcated memory approach... basically have the Vita cards for PSV titles, and allow a microSD card for movies, music, and PSP/PS1 digital titles. Would've taken some of the sting out of the memory card prices, and, like you said, would've offered a bit more flexibility.

News Comments > Double Fine Kickstart Hits $2M
8. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Hits $2M Feb 20, 2012, 13:41 killer_roach

wtf_man wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 10:35:
5x their initial goal!

Bitchin'

My guess after the start was that it was going to head to $2.5-3 million by the time it was all said and done.

Guess we'll see just how much life this thing really has.

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 18, 2012, 15:55 killer_roach

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 15:33:
Apples to apples would be Xbox 360 launch titles to PS Vita launch titles.

Xbox 360 launch titles had a median Metacritic score of 75, a high of 89 (Call of Duty 2), and a low of 62 (FIFA 06). Pretty comparable.

Also of note: eleven of the eighteen X360 launch titles were either sports or racing games, with six of those being the latest installments of EA or 2k's franchises (compared to 8/19 and 1/19 on the Vita lineup, although, oddly enough, those titles appear to have actually dragged the numbers on both systems down...).

One win in the 360's favor comparing launches... highest score of an original IP.
Condemned: Criminal Origins (X360) - 81
Escape Plan (PSV) - 74

(Both were wastelands for new IP - each have three such titles, although the 360's additional ones were the decent Kameo and the okay-ish GUN, while the other two new IPs on Vita, Reality Fighters and Little Deviants, have been duds. Likely also helps the 360 in that regard that two of their three new IPs were third-party.)

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 17, 2012, 15:13 killer_roach

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 14:13:
The launch games pretty much suck. (Except Uncharted.) Unfortunately, most consoles and portables launch with a shitty lineup to start. A side effect of the games taking longer to program than the hardware takes to be developed. Look at 3DS. That had shit at launch. Gameboy? PSP? PS1? Nintendo 64? They all had shitty lineups at launch.

Of Vita's launch lineup, it has a median Metacritic score (of games that have ratings) of 77, a high of 88 (Rayman Origins), and a low of 58 (Reality Fighters).

Of recent Xbox 360 releases, that list has a median Metacritic score of 74, a high of 88 (Joe Danger), and a low of 28 (AMY).

Granted, it's not a great time of year for console games, but still... that's reasonably comparable in terms of apples to apples.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 19:45 killer_roach

^Drag0n^ wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 13:30:
Kinda getting sick of hearing outrage over labor conditions at Foxconn from people writing on MacBook Pros, or are on the waiting list to buy an iPad 3.

Cost of labor there IS ACTUALLY LOWER, people. One of the reasons manufacturers make products there rather than in Ohio.

On top of all that, this issue is just veiled geopolitical posturing, and it's getting old, tired, and lame...just like the Cuba travel ban.

^D^

They're closer to their raw materials, closer to their parts suppliers, and can roust a small army of engineers in the middle of the night to make a last-minute design change if so needed.

Even if the cost of labor was the same as in the US (and, depending on manufacturing processes, you could get pretty close to those numbers stateside - difference is we'd employ far fewer workers to do the job), there are still certain advantages to putting your factories in China.

(That being said, there have been concerns with the Chinese government lately that have started some of these contract manufacturers moving operations to Mexico...)

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Feb 13, 2012, 02:45 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 02:25:
wtf_man wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 21:27:
This would not happen with an "average joe" trying to fund an adventure game (or any other game). The reputation is what made Double Fine's "kickstarter experiment" such a success.

There's been other successful kickstarters that have gotten several times their asking amount too, but from total unknowns. A big part of it is how they present and how they market the kickstarter. The description and video need to be interesting, and there should be some screenshots. It also helps if they are involved in responding to people.

For instance, there was a steady-cam type camera deal for much cheaper than the norm for that kinda device. He got the word out on photography sites and got several times the funding. Same for a louder horn for motorcyles that goes on if you hold the horn button a quarter second (and doesn't replace the original horn or interfere in any way with any of the bikes operations). He spread the word on motorcycle sites.

So while the absolute amount and the quickness in getting to it is in large part because of double fine's reputation, its possible to be unknown and still succeed on a kickstarter.

Just like any other investment prospectus, you have to give people some indication of future results if you're going to get contributions on a large scale. Plain and simple. You don't necessarily need reputation - it does help, though - but the better you're able to convince your "investors" that you can deliver on what you claim to need funding for, the better they're going to feel about the whole process.

News Comments > Indie Valentine's Bundle
7. Re: Indie Valentine's Bundle Feb 12, 2012, 14:45 killer_roach

yuastnav wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 10:48:
Interesting. My GTX 460 is working like a charm under Debian, for me.

I have a GTX 560Ti that I was using in OpenSuSE and Ubuntu, and both had considerable stability issues with the drivers. I guess if you have older hardware you're better off, though.

At least they've gotten driver updates to being better than they were in the past (which, for many distributions, required doing some kernel recompilation), but that's still not exactly something most people would consider a pleasant experience.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 11, 2012, 14:48 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 13:14:
28% must be averaged out over a period of time. Right after the floods prices doubled in some cases. Mechanical hdds that is, SSDs weren't affected.

There are still a lot of drives that cost more than double what they did before the floods... 28%, from what I'm seeing, is almost a best-case scenario.

You know something is fundamentally messed up when you are able to snag an external hard drive from Walmart or Meijer cheaper than you could from Newegg (and that was the case until they restocked their supplies).

News Comments > Indie Valentine's Bundle
5. Re: Indie Valentine's Bundle Feb 11, 2012, 14:46 killer_roach

DrEvil wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 12:17:
I have yet to see a reason to not completely ignore the indie royale bundles. Especially due to their early claims about cross-platform possibilities. Humble bundle for the win!

Well, most of the Steam-redeemable stuff works on Mac...

...and no, I refuse to do any gaming on Linux. Video drivers meant for gaming are not ready for prime-time on that platform (hell, they're not ready for just about any time on Linux).

News Comments > etc., etc.
9. Re: etc., etc. Feb 11, 2012, 01:15 killer_roach

PHJF wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 01:05:
Consoles are hardly at fault. Even without consoles, games today would not look better than BF3/Crysis2. Skyrim looks just okay compared to these games, but even then, I don't know if it would look any better being PC-only: Bethesda was just more focused on gameplay than graphics, and it seems like it was intentionally designed to run well on lower grade hardware as RPG players typically don't have as robust machines as FPS players.

Like the man said, the hardware is stalling as a result of the software stalling. With no games coming out requiring better hardware, better hardware isn't coming out. Rather than simply blowing previous SKUs out of the water, everything nvidia has released for the past three-five years has been an incremental improvement at best.

Newer hardware is showing considerable improvements, but most of them aren't coming in gaming performance. They're coming in general computing performance as the GPU vendors are gearing their architecture to serve as additional processing units, which also is impeding improvements in gaming performance.

Simply put, they're responding to what the market demands are. The growth sectors are in GPGPU technologies, so that's what they're catering to.

News Comments > Double Fine Crowdsourcing
28. Re: Double Fine Crowdsourcing Feb 9, 2012, 17:20 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 16:51:
Kajetan wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 13:04:
Verno wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 11:26:
I think everyone reasonable can agree the traditional publishing model is now reaching the point of absurdity when a company can somehow manage to sell a million copies of a title and not make a profit.
Just look at EA. A revenue of billions of dollars a year, no profit at all for years.

On paper. No profit at all on paper.

Trust me that that company's making plenty of money, but the wonderful IRS lets them deduct everything as an expense so ostensibly they wind up in the red and owe no taxes.

Creston

Corporate profit reported in their earnings statement != tax liability. They're two wildly different things, and to equate them is to be either woefully misinformed or deliberately disingenuous.

News Comments > Double Fine Crowdsourcing
22. Re: Double Fine Crowdsourcing Feb 9, 2012, 16:38 killer_roach

ASeven wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 16:19:
Obviously this new business model has a lot of flaws. This is a business model based on human goodwill and my cynicism said and still says this will fail miserably, however Kickstarter and other crowdsourcing projects have survived the early huge bumps so maybe this model will last.

Crowdsourcing mostly works with established entities, and it's not particularly new.

In the music industry, Marillion has been using that model for their last handful of albums, and Spock's Beard did it on their most recent one.

1351 Comments. 68 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo