Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1471 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
26. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 22:35 killer_roach

jimnms wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 21:05:
I have yet to see this dumbing down in Civ V. Some parts of the game were streamlined or simplified, but not dumbed down. I find it more challenging than Civ IV. No longer can I create a huge military stack and steam roll my way to an easy domination or territory victory. I tried creating a massive army in my first game and dominating the other civs only to find my civilization crumbling due to massive unhappieness from expanding too fast and razing and conquering a few cities. By the time I managed to get my civs happy enough to begin producing stuff and my military fighting again, I was left in the dust while the other civs had advanced way ahead of me. Civ V requires a lot more strategy and planning than Civ IV.

Some people don't understand the difference between streamlining and dumbing down, and assume that it's an affront to your intelligence if you don't have to spend months learning the mechanics of the various game systems.

Personally, I'd just call that approach poor design, but to each their own.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo
6. Re: Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo Jun 24, 2012, 22:33 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 20:29:
And Scrolls has to break into this crowded online collectible market. I have no idea why notch is screwing around with this, he should be focusing on minecraft stuff, minecraft expansion, minecraft 2, etc.

Probably because Notch has taken Minecraft as far as he can, which would explain also why he's handed the reins to it to somebody else.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2012, 16:36 killer_roach

Might be the last day of the heat wave, but the respite will be short-lived... here in Michigan we had temps up in the mid to upper 90s until Thursday, and it's looking like by Wednesday or Thursday it'll be back into the 90s. Looks like you'll get a week's break from the heat, then the blast furnace resumes.  

News Comments > Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition
25. Re: Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition Jun 22, 2012, 00:23 killer_roach

OpticNerve wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 21:35:
Calling it now: Diablo 3 is Blizzard's Dragon Age 2.

That's being unnecessarily spiteful and malicious.

To EA, of course.

News Comments > THQ VP Resigns
12. Re: THQ VP Resigns Jun 21, 2012, 13:58 killer_roach

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 13:44:
Down a slippery slope, I predict THQ to be dissolved totally before labor day.

I still maintain there's a chance that Time Warner buys them outright to fold them into WB Games, but, considering their debt load (more than an order of magnitude more than their market cap), any buyer is likely just waiting for the inevitable liquidation. Once that happens, almost anybody's in the running - Volition and Relic are the crown jewels, and the possibility that either could go for $50 million or less would make them incredibly sought-after.

News Comments > Quoteworthy
14. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 20, 2012, 23:35 killer_roach

Dades wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 22:13:
Yep, this is a load of crap. EA is going to charge you for the box, charge you for the DLC and then charge you for stuff in a shop.

Well, not necessarily - charging to get in creates a barrier to entry, and makes one more thing that you have to manage the price of. Ultimately, the best way to maximize revenue from any product is to get everybody to pay you as much as they're willing to pay - if that ends up being nothing, so be it. If that's $1, so be it. If it's $1,000 - congratulations, you just made up for the people who paid $1 or less.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
4. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 16, 2012, 18:13 killer_roach

ASeven wrote on Jun 16, 2012, 16:04:
$299.... I can't even think of the hardware used to keep this price so low and not make MS have too steep losses in manufacturing this console.

The 6670 rumor may indeed be true. If so an average PC bought a couple years ago will be far more powerful than this. And 10 years lifespan? Holy shit, someone at MS is insane.

It may very well be. If the rumored PS4 specs are correct, the GPU that's on-die on the CPU of it would be as powerful as the GPU in the 360... and then would have another GPU on top of that.

News Comments > Valve's Economist
20. Re: Valve's Economist Jun 16, 2012, 18:10 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Jun 16, 2012, 13:35:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 22:15:
I have an Econ major! Hire me!!!!!

They've had the job posted for, like, 3 years!

But they wanted a phd.

Seems like they're flexible on that part of it, but you'd need to have demonstrable proof of considerable quantitative ability. Having a doctorate is just one of the easiest ways to show that.

I do quantitative and theoretical work, but not to the extent or depth that they appear to be looking for.

14. Re: Valve's Economist Jun 16, 2012, 09:59 killer_roach

LittleMe wrote on Jun 16, 2012, 00:43:
So is he a Keynesian or Austrian economist?

Most economists would tell you that either label is quite limiting.

Speaking personally, I'm a microfoundations guy as far as macro thought is concerned.

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm "99% Done"
12. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 15, 2012, 23:45 killer_roach

Yifes wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 22:32:
Creston wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 22:27:
I might be interested, but it depends very heavily on the price. Anything over 20 bucks and they can go fuck themselves.

Creston

Blizzard has never priced their expansions at $20.

Considering how the pricing has gone on Blizzard expansions in the past, it might get down to $20 in five years. They don't understand the meaning of the word "sale".

4. Re: Valve's Economist Jun 15, 2012, 23:29 killer_roach

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 22:15:
I have an Econ major! Hire me!!!!!

Go to Valve Software's jobs page, they'll tell you how to submit your resume/CV to them.

I sent mine in a while back to them, haven't heard back. Don't really expect to, seeing as, unlike Dr. Varoufakis, I'm not published.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2012, Part 13
9. Re: It Came from E3 2012, Part 13 Jun 14, 2012, 09:00 killer_roach

CommunistHamster wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 08:20:
There isn't a single gawker media site worth reading.

This. A thousand times this.

It takes a lot to make The Huffington Post look distinguished and professional in comparison, and Gawker manages to do it.

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Kills Error 37
7. Re: Diablo III Patch Kills Error 37 Jun 12, 2012, 19:23 killer_roach

I can fix Error 37 too, Blizzard...

...just give it a new error code, which sounds more or less like what's going on here.

News Comments > Neal Stephenson's Sword Fighting Kickstarter
11. Re: Neal Stephenson's Sword Fighting Kickstarter Jun 10, 2012, 18:35 killer_roach

Sounds incredibly ambitious, but he seems to have a good idea about how to approach it in an incremental fashion.

Not sure I'd back this idea considering I have questions about the expertise of the people involved, but I'm really, really curious to see what could come of this. If they can get a solid prototype going I'd be quite intrigued.

News Comments > Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale?
42. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 19:21 killer_roach

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 17:48:
RollinThundr wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 15:59:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 14:19:
Oh God, please let them get away from Vivendi. Better yet, let Blizzard go back to being its own company. Either way it's probably better for my stock.

You are aware Blizzard hasn't been their "own company" since before they were Blizzard right?

Yeah, what I should have said is "Please let them go back to being an independently run studio owned by a company that lets them do things their way."

That Blizzard has long since been scattered to the four winds. What Blizzard is today is not the Blizzard of the 1990s - most of those people have left Blizzard even before Vivendi acquired Activision and tied Blizzard to them.

17. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 01:41 killer_roach

Jerykk wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 00:54:
The other question would be who has pockets deep enough to acquire ActiBlizz without Vivendi basically having to jettison them? They're too rich for the likes of EA or Sony, and they're a poor fit for Microsoft or Apple.

Poor fit for MS? How so? MS already bribes Activision for timed CoD DLC exclusivity. If MS bought Activision, they could turn CoD into an Xbox-exclusive and force Blizzard to make Xbox exclusives too.

Microsoft has problems integrating most any company into their fold. It's one of the reasons Bungie bought themselves back, and why they basically gutted Rare and Lionhead. Microsoft Games Studios is a pretty dysfunctional entity - they'd rather just pay for exclusivity on a title by title basis rather than have to shoehorn in a large developer/publisher into a practically tribalistic corporate culture where business units fiercely defend their own turf.

13. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 7, 2012, 23:16 killer_roach

The question is whether or not Activision is a worthwhile long-term play for a company to acquire... their current trajectory makes them perilous to hold in the short run.

The other question would be who has pockets deep enough to acquire ActiBlizz without Vivendi basically having to jettison them? They're too rich for the likes of EA or Sony, and they're a poor fit for Microsoft or Apple. If Vivendi decides to try to sell, I'd place the most likely buyer as Time Warner, hoping to make ActiBlizz the centerpiece of a revitalized WB Games.

News Comments > Dark Souls PC Port Issues
27. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 03:03 killer_roach

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 01:10:
Honestly, did anyone expect anything better from a Japanese developer?

Capcom has been making some of the best PC ports for years from their console games. Devil May Cry 4 is really really good on PC.

RE4 and Onimusha 3 were disastrous ports to PC, but they've gotten better recently. They've been one of the better Japanese developers in terms of developing for the PC, but until recently it was pretty slapdash work.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Jun 5, 2012, 19:31 killer_roach

RailWizard wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 18:29:
90% of games are shit now.

You're assuming that in years past that percentage was lower. Either you have a terrible grasp on history, are too young to remember, or are playing fast and loose with the facts, but regardless.

It's always been that way, if not worse.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jun 5, 2012, 14:36 killer_roach

Fion wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 11:38:
What do people expect? This is E3 we are talking about here. A half dozen years ago it was the pinnacle of gaming conventions. Today shows like Gamescom, GDC, PAX and even G-Star have made E3 their bitch.

Anymore TGS and Gamescom are the big shows. E3 has been hollowed out by an Eastern and a Western flank.

1471 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo