Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1351 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Penny Arcade Adventures Episode 3 This Summer
5. Re: Penny Arcade Adventures Episode 3 This Summer Apr 4, 2012, 15:18 killer_roach

coldcut wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 14:09:
Hmm, I was looking forward to this, I enjoyed the first two games, but when I saw the screenshots of this new episode... *sigh* another RPG Construction Kit Game (don't know how it's called, too lazy to Google).

Zeboyd's games aren't made in RPGMaker... they're using XNA.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter
14. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Apr 4, 2012, 12:08 killer_roach

nin wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 11:53:
2012 is the year of the kickstarter.

Hopefully 2013 won't be "the year all the KS games show up and they suck".

Fingers crossed! :)

Well, a lot of them should be showing up in 2012 still... not sure if DFA will due to the magnitude of their budget, and Wasteland 2 is pegging a late 2013 release, but The Banner Saga seems to be shooting for a November release, and FTL should be late this summer.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
33. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 2, 2012, 23:28 killer_roach

Dades wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 21:51:
killer_roach wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 21:43:
Where your argument falls down is that you're assuming that, all things being equal, prices would have stayed in the $50-60 range otherwise. Considering the increase of costs in the industry, that seems highly unlikely.

Prices have stayed where they are because the market has grown significantly, not because big publishers are so nice to us. Let's embrace the alarmist view and say that without the publishers then prices would rise, so what? I would welcome paying more quality products and less for ones that don't merit the cost. People say the quality games are subsidized by the mass market titles but the publishers don't care to do that anymore. Everything has to move a few million units or there likely will not be a follow up at all.

Hate to say it, but whether you think it's the case or not, these major publishers stay in business because they ARE being nice to their customers. If not, they don't buy from them, and they go out of business. They have to maximize profits as well, yes, but without giving the customers at least their money's worth (if not more) on a consistent basis, they don't stick around.

In terms of seeking fewer AAA-quality titles in favor of downmarket fare, it's all a process. Nobody knows from the get-go what games will end up being any good - even developers with established track records make the occasional stinker. The system in place rewards success and punishes failure, and we end up with a fairly wide variety of product as a result. Even better, if people don't think they're being served, they can make their voices known by supporting projects that are more to their tastes, or the enterprising can start their own studios in the hopes of becoming rich in the pursuit of an undersupported niche. Overall, I think the system is working far better than many would like to think.

29. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 2, 2012, 21:43 killer_roach

Dades wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 18:42:
That's a pretty iffy argument. If it's an online game, then most likely your used copy is tied to an account and won't work anyway. As for maintaining servers, that's only done as long as it's profitable anyway, and then they are shut down, as we see happen all the time.

Preach it. Any business model where the price of simple operating expenses like servers isn't priced into the box is extremely flawed and can't be blamed on the customers. The servers and associated labour is often retasked from one game to another while abandoning the older software anyway. Many other industries deal with these things all the time and don't demand handouts from customers because they have to deal with resale.

Are the greedy console companies going to give people lower prices in exchange for their loss of rights? More sales like PC customers get? Fuck no.

Where your argument falls down is that you're assuming that, all things being equal, prices would have stayed in the $50-60 range otherwise. Considering the increase of costs in the industry, that seems highly unlikely.

21. Re: The x86 PlayStation 4 could signal a sea-change in the console industry. Apr 2, 2012, 17:43 killer_roach

LittleMe wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 16:50:
Great article. I'm shocked they'd release a console in 2013 with an AMD 66xx series GPU. That's archaic even when released. I would think at least a an AMD 7870 series GPU would be more up-to-date. Sheesh the PS4 will be dominated by PC tech right from day 1. Good news for PC gaming, if true.

Other than the fact that developers will be targeting antiquated hardware for the next 5-8 years...

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 29, 2012, 18:31 killer_roach

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 13:04:
bhcompy wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 11:23:
For once I hope Pachter is right

I think the whole blocking used games thing is something all the console makers have thought of but none will do. Aside from the parasitic relationship they have to maintain with the likes of GameStop, this tactic would only work if all the console makers did it. If Sony or Microsoft does and the other doesn't, everyone will use the console that doesn't and the other one will get no third party support and be stillborn. I think this generation they will just make a big push into day-and-date digital releases like Sony's doing with the Vita and in the next generation (assuming you know, we aren't all just using iPads as consoles like the lazy gaming press is starting to say), they'll go digital only if there's enough broadband penetration and the big telcos aren't continuing to force unrealistically low caps.

The stakes are too high. If you do it and your rival doesn't, you're hosed. If you both agree to do it, then you're liable to get hauled before the FTC for collusion.

There are still ways that this could be accomplished, but it would likely get messy and require an entirely redundant layer of infrastructure for game sales.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Mar 29, 2012, 12:46 killer_roach

They did a similar sale recently for the US store, although some non-EA titles were included in that one (such as SR3 and Arkham City), and I think BF3 was included in that sale as well. Other than that, pretty much the same - new releases don't get a 50% sale.  

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Mar 26, 2012, 22:03 killer_roach

JaguarUSF wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 20:27:
I'm on the review list for Confrontation, so we'll see what that's all about.

Looks interesting, but I'm a bit wary of paying close to full price for a Cyanide Studios game without some good information.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 26, 2012, 17:44 killer_roach

avianflu wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 12:25:
The problem with the "lite" is that it will be discontinued 16 months later for whatever MS has in store next.

Not sure it is a good idea for consumers unless the Lite is really cheap.

Best guess? The Xbox Lite is primarily geared as a media set-top box like Apple TV, only with enough computational power to run some XBLA titles and legacy Xbox games. Could very easily be priced at $79-99, though.

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Mar 22, 2012, 15:38 killer_roach

Frijoles wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 01:36:
I got 3 for Revelations and 3 for Heroes VI (all 50% off). Um, thanks Steam?

I got two for 50% off Revelations and one for 66% off Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes (the latter of which I used)...

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
4. Re: Hardware Reviews Mar 22, 2012, 15:33 killer_roach

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 15:10:
That new card looks awesome but I do not see any games on the PC as of right now or in the near future that even remotely worth upgrading my PC for. If I were building a new PC I'd get that 680 for sure but otherwise, my GTX570 can run the stream of console ports just fine.

Pretty much... I'm running a 560Ti (pretty heavily overclocked), and haven't had need to go with anything faster. I was hoping that the 680 was going to scorch through compute benchmarks, so maybe I could justify it for video encoding work, but it looks like it may be slower than the 580 in that respect, so I guess I'm sticking with my current card for the foreseeable future.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 PC Features
25. Re: Borderlands 2 PC Features Mar 16, 2012, 19:30 killer_roach

Drezden wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 19:16:
While Clouds are relatively new, FOV is not. They used to get FOV's right so you didn't need a slider was more of the idea I had in mind.

Back in those days we were all sitting 12-18 inches from a 4:3 aspect CRT. User-"fixable" FOV is not a common feature apart from diving into some games' control consoles, much less an in-menu slider.

I hate to say it, guys, but most of these (apart from the UI stuff) aren't "standard features".

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2012, 17:41 killer_roach

Optional nickname wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 10:12:
Will we ever be graced with example, Led Zep, PinkFloyd, U2, for Rockband? what do these artists and or law patent holders have far up their ass? Comon, Queen broke ground, wtf guys?

I know Pink Floyd has expressed interest in the past, but U2 and Led Zeppelin don't license any of their music out without gobs of money up front, not to mention the whole issue of handing over their master tapes.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 15, 2012, 16:26 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 14:21:
Tablets are toys, laptops are for real work and never the twain shall meet. Laptops aren't going anywhere.

Funny, I remember some hybrid tablet stuff that Fujitsu was working on about five years ago, but the problem at that time was that they were perceived as "only" being for "real work".

News Comments > "Spectacular" Crytek Announcement Next Month
15. Re: Mar 12, 2012, 10:56 killer_roach

Kajetan wrote on Mar 12, 2012, 09:47:
Frijoles wrote on Mar 12, 2012, 09:42:
I wonder if it'll be on Steam.
Probably an Origin exclusive for a limited time. Then available on other plattforms, still requiring an Origin login to start the game. There will be no more PC games from EA without Origin.

KoA:R was released on Steam, though...

News Comments > Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter Update
14. Re: Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter Update Mar 11, 2012, 03:28 killer_roach

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 11, 2012, 01:53:
Kickstarter stuff is making the rounds. Anything that gets funded anymore will have to have a big pedigree, a ton of people marketing it on big sites, or just be a stupendous must have product. I suspect the easy Kickstarter money is gone. The big boys have moved in.

I think smaller players can still get money that way, but they're going to be operating on a different level than these larger names. I know people who have used it to fund projects in the $2,000-5,000 level just fine... but yeah, you're not going to get $100K or more (much less the obscene amount of scratch Double Fine got) without having some sort of track record or legendarily impressive pitch.

News Comments > No PvP in Diablo III Launch
23. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 10, 2012, 00:35 killer_roach

Nate wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 00:32:
Cripes all the negative opinions here about D3. Your opinions are invalid as this will sell a zillion copies.

Commercial success != quality.

News Comments > Valve Worth $3B?
45. Re: RE: Follow up Mar 8, 2012, 19:21 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 18:56:
Prez wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 18:02:
Now I just need you guys to help me convince him some of that $1.5 billion is mine. I'm thinking 5% sounds fair.
Start a group where you only invite 500+ game owners, and then you will have more weight behind you when you ask him

Guess I'd have to join his group, then...

44. Re: Valve Worth $3B? Mar 8, 2012, 19:14 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 16:32:
If Steam had a billion dollars worth of revenue last year, there's no way Valve is valued at "just" 3 billion. Any way, it's still an incredible number

Creston

Depends on what their profit margin is. Assuming they're still growing at a relatively brisk pace, a $3 billion valuation would assume they have profits of around anywhere from $75-150 million. If their revenues are actually $1 billion (nobody knows for sure - some say it was around there, others put their profit numbers in that territory), assuming an Apple-like profit margin (about 25%), that would put profits around $250 million, and, applying a pretty standard P/E ratio of 30-40 for growth companies, that would put them around $7.5-$10 billion in total market capitalization. (Obviously, if the "$1B profit" number was right, then Valve could be stupid huge, possibly in the $30-40 billion range, which would effectively make them larger than Sony.)

Of course, if Valve went public, I'd assume that the practice of employee bonuses would likely be handled through distributing preferred stock to existing personnel, which could both a) depress the perceived value of any offered shares and b) cause a significant run-up in the stock upon IPO due to a relatively small amount of the company being up for offer (if Valve went public, I'd assume they do something similar to what Zynga did, and only offer for sale public shares amounting to a small percentage of the company - Zynga's IPO was 10% of the total share base).

24. Re: Valve Worth $3B? Mar 7, 2012, 23:37 killer_roach

eunichron wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 22:35:
But why would Valve even bother buying out EA? Valve is already one of the best publishers, and practically has the DD market cornered with Steam. They have no reason to want to buy out anyone else.

Simply put, Valve lacks development capacity. If they want to make games, they'll either need to go on a hiring binge or acquire somebody.

Unless, of course, they're content to simply be a middleman, in which case they can get by just fine with their current head count.

1351 Comments. 68 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo