Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1351 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock
114. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 15:44 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 15:39:
nin wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 15:08:
Well I'd argue I can't remember EA doing something like this recently:

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/129492/

When I saw blue post that, I thought it was a very neat thing to do.

I also can't remember Almost Human screwing their fans over recently (such as saying you have to get the sequel to grimrock to get some bugs fixed), or screwing over their employees so much they had to class action lawsuit them.

Neither of which has anything to do with the games themselves, just your perception of them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

111. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 15:05 killer_roach

everyone wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 15:03:
Orogogus wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 12:16:
There have been a fair number of recent turn-based crawlers (albeit mostly on consoles and handhelds) while the last real-time one was...
Arx Fatalis?

Probably right on that one. Damn, I loved that game.

109. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 14:50 killer_roach

nin wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 14:30:
Any. They don't have the baggage and mistrust associated with EA. All they have to do is deliver a quality product, and they're miles ahead.

I'd argue that EA's reputation is largely undeserved (not that I'm saying I necessarily approve of their actions all the time, but those are things that affect my value perceptions of their products, not really impacting purchasing decisions), and you're too trusting of a developer who has no track record, but to each their own.

News Comments > 0x10cͨ Screenshots
31. Re: 0x10<sup>c</sup>&#872; Screenshots Apr 12, 2012, 14:13 killer_roach

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 14:12:
Can someone explain to me what the potential upside is from releasing these? Because if you ask me all it does is invite criticism -- deserved or not.

That may very well be the point - Notch might be operating from the school of "no publicity is bad publicity". He's certainly gotten people talking, now, hasn't he?

102. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 13:59 killer_roach

nin wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 13:41:
But a bunch of people here seem to give an irrational amount of slack to a game simply because it's by an indie developer.

Maybe because they have a much better reputation?

What reputation?

29. Re: 0x10<sup>c</sup>&#872; Screenshots Apr 12, 2012, 13:58 killer_roach

NKD wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 13:31:
killer_roach wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 13:25:
Topevoli wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 11:33:
Its a prototype. It has nothing to do with graphics and they are purposely under developed.

If they're deliberately underdeveloped, then he's an idiot for posting them online. That's pretty much a flagrant violation of Game Marketing 101 there - never give people a less-than-positive impression of your game relative to the plans for it.

You people bitch and moan about games being shrouded in miles and miles of MarketingSpeak, but when someone has a transparent and open development process, you bitch and moan about that too?

You're talking to the wrong person about that. I'm an economist - I'm the person everybody here hates when it comes to business decisions.

99. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 13:29 killer_roach

Necrophob wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 11:45:
If EA had published it, it wouldn't be DRM free, it would be 2 hours long, and it would have cost $50 at release. And a year after release, the studio that made it would be let go. Or renamed to Bioware Finland.

Straw man argument. You basically read what I said and proceeded to completely disregard it.

If they did that, you'd have reason to complain. But a bunch of people here seem to give an irrational amount of slack to a game simply because it's by an indie developer.

I've put a bit of time into LoG myself... it is quite good. Still has its rough edges, but it does, as the Brits are fond of saying, what it says on the tin. Definitely a worthwhile scratching of a nostalgic itch, now to see just how deep this rabbit hole actually goes...

21. Re: 0x10<sup>c</sup>&#872; Screenshots Apr 12, 2012, 13:25 killer_roach

Topevoli wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 11:33:
Its a prototype. It has nothing to do with graphics and they are purposely under developed.

If they're deliberately underdeveloped, then he's an idiot for posting them online. That's pretty much a flagrant violation of Game Marketing 101 there - never give people a less-than-positive impression of your game relative to the plans for it.

Honestly, I think what you're going to see isn't going to be too far removed.

85. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 11:28 killer_roach

InBlack wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 10:27:
Where are all those goddamn trolls who keep sayin:

'What a bunch of whiny loosers you Bluesnewsers are...'

now? This game has passed the Bluesnews test, it has recieved universal acclaim on these boards meaning its actually a fun and well made game.

Yeah we whine a lot about games, shitty fucked up games mostly that usually dont even deserve the whine they get.

Only because it was an indie. If nothing else changed about the game, and EA was publishing, you'd all be raising hell.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2012, 14:25 killer_roach

Look on the bright side - we have snow coming down here. Nothing accumulating, but we're three weeks removed from having temperatures approach 90 in Southwest Michigan.

Mother Nature is clearly off her meds.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Interview
11. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Interview Apr 8, 2012, 21:35 killer_roach

Kastagir wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 14:13:
Beelzebud wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 12:53:
Reading that all of the original art and 3d models for the games were "lost" almost makes me want to cry.

It's astounding how short-sighted people can be at times.

That's precisely why I cringe whenever someone from Bioware mentions the "BioWare Vault." This stuff was either cast aside when EA bribed bought BioWare or it sits in BioWare's ass vault, never to be used by a respectable game developer again.

Wouldn't be surprised if somebody from BioWare still has the content, but isn't sharing with Beamdog.

News Comments > Botanicula Preorders Begin & GOG.com Premium Editions Announced
8. Re: Botanicula Preorders Begin & GOG.com Premium Editions Announced Apr 7, 2012, 00:39 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 22:19:
Yes but did GoG games have UBISOFT titles from that era previously?

I didn't know these were some of the ubi DRM free ones on amazon, ubi anymore isn't something I look into when I see the name.

I agree though, $20 seems a bit high for both games at this point.

Fair enough - Ubisoft seems to be on the higher end of the price scale for their titles on GOG (HOMM1 is still $10 regularly, FFS, although it's on sale this weekend).

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Apr 7, 2012, 00:37 killer_roach

Jerykk wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 23:53:
Looks like Darkness 2 bombed. Same with Syndicate, Duke Forever, Space Marine and pretty much every other short, linear and completely scripted shooter. I think it's becoming pretty clear that gamers are getting tired of such shooters, which is definitely a good thing. Cliffy B even came out and admitted that he wants to make more dynamic and open-ended games.

I think there's still a place for linear shooters, but not at a full retail price point. $50 seemed too much for The Darkness 2, but I figured it would be worth a buy at $20. At $12.50? I think I know what I'll be playing this weekend.

6. Re: Botanicula Preorders Begin & GOG.com Premium Editions Announced Apr 6, 2012, 10:58 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 06:59:
killer_roach wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 22:55:
$20 for games that are four and six years old respectively? The only way they make much of any value sense is if you buy them in that promotion.
They are DRM free though.

Now if ubi would just patch out the added layer of DRM in some of their steam games and I might buy them.

My guess is that ubi is testing the GoG DRM free waters with a couple more "recent" titles, seeing how much money they pull in.

Except these aren't "recent" titles - GOG has had games from that era before on the site.

Also, Amazon sells these same games DRM free... granted, without the goodies, but still. Overall, this is a value proposition only for the die-hards of the respective games.

1. Re: Botanicula Preorders Begin & GOG.com Premium Editions Announced Apr 5, 2012, 22:55 killer_roach

$20 for games that are four and six years old respectively? The only way they make much of any value sense is if you buy them in that promotion.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Status Report - Editor Possible
12. Re: Wasteland 2 Status Report - Editor Possible Apr 5, 2012, 15:21 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 13:51:
Zackly. Le't just get a solid first product out the door first and then look at other stuff after.

Considering how they plan on adding mod tools, they probably should just get the money now and then run another KS later for mod tools.

News Comments > Indie Royale April Fools Bundle
5. Re: Indie Royale April Fools Bundle Apr 5, 2012, 00:57 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 00:06:
killer_roach wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 00:01:
Dev wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 23:00:
nin wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 21:33:
Grabbed this for HSL, which looks fun!

Same. Its not publicly out on steam yet I guess. And when it comes out its probably going to be more than the $5 the bundle costs.

It'll probably be a $5 game on Steam - it's not a very large title.
There were also a couple other games in the bundle I didn't have yet.

Yeah... for me I already had all of them but HSL, but I didn't have AZM or Astro Tripper for PC (had both of them on PS3).

News Comments > Indie Royale April Fools Bundle
3. Re: Indie Royale April Fools Bundle Apr 5, 2012, 00:01 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 23:00:
nin wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 21:33:
Grabbed this for HSL, which looks fun!

Same. Its not publicly out on steam yet I guess. And when it comes out its probably going to be more than the $5 the bundle costs.

It'll probably be a $5 game on Steam - it's not a very large title.

News Comments > EA Loses Consumerist Poll
39. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 5, 2012, 00:00 killer_roach

Dmitri_M wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 23:59:
At first I thought this was some small website poll and a gaming forum somewhere had decided to make EA the "winner". But 250 000 people chose EA over any number of giant corporations? They might be a greedy evil company in gaming, but honestly what are people thinking choosing something inconsequential like gaming as a "worst" amongst serious things like telecoms and banks.

Because people are fundamentally inserious creatures?

News Comments > EA Loses Consumerist Poll
34. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 4, 2012, 23:23 killer_roach

SimplyMonk wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 23:16:
This poll isn't really saying that EA is worst than BoA. It is saying that EA is worst at making video games players happy than BoA is at making banking customers happy. Seeing as those customer bases have no metrics on them, the poll is meaningless.

Or, at the very least, that gamers are more likely to feel slighted by a company.

Considering the sense of entitlement you see in the comments here on a daily basis, this seems exceedingly likely.

1351 Comments. 68 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo