Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1418 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed May 28, 2012, 16:05 killer_roach

Can't really compare D3 to EA's titles, much less D2, mostly because of one salient point, that being that Blizzard's servers are required to play D3 at all.

If EA closes their servers, or Blizzard stops supporting D2, online play is gone, but you could still play the game offline. If Blizzard shuts down D3 servers, the game ceases to exist.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
20. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 28, 2012, 14:43 killer_roach

Rea1One wrote on May 28, 2012, 11:22:
killer_roach wrote on May 27, 2012, 21:27:
You say "native 1080p console" like that's supposed to mean something.
You obviously don't care about True HD gaming. So each to their own.

Okay, I've tried to be nice, but now to bash the blindingly obvious into your skull:

The only hardware that has a "native" resolution is your display. So the Wii U has a native resolution for its controller's integrated display, but the rest is purely the decisions of the software developers as to how they balance things like resolution, texture size, shader complexity, and geometry levels against the specs of the hardware (CPU/GPU).

And that gets us back to the most salient point - the Wii U's hardware specs, as far as anyone knows, aren't finalized yet. If anything, you'll see most of the early games being developed with rather conservative use of processing resources as a result.

Additionally, just because the hardware is newer doesn't make it more powerful by default - look at the Wii, after all...

7. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 27, 2012, 21:27 killer_roach

Rea1One wrote on May 27, 2012, 20:21:
killer_roach wrote on May 27, 2012, 19:31:
Clearly you're using some definition of "pretty obvious" that most people are not familiar with.

You might be surprised but there are a lot of people that are unaware that the Wii U is a native 1080p console.

You say "native 1080p console" like that's supposed to mean something.

5. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 27, 2012, 19:31 killer_roach

Rea1One wrote on May 27, 2012, 18:52:
its pretty obvious Wii U is a 1080p console while Xbox 360 and PS3 has 99% 720p games.

Clearly you're using some definition of "pretty obvious" that most people are not familiar with.

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale May 27, 2012, 02:10 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on May 27, 2012, 01:19:
Well, Valve isn't a particularly litigious company, but has used lawsuits to protect its names in the past like when they recently sued Blizzard for violating the DOTA trademark. This is a slightly different kettle of fish, more like when Bethesda went after Mojang for Scrolls. It remains to be seen if Valve feels this site goes too far: exactly same business model, URL only 2 letters different, & similar site layout. These guys are skirting awfully close to the line.

Well, from looking at Valve's Legal page, "Steam Powered" is not among their list of trademarks... that being said, could it possibly infringe upon their Steam trademark, not to mention their main Steam domain name? Quite probable.

I can't say definitively if Storm Eagle is violating any trademarks of Valve's, but it's something that Valve's lawyers would likely want to be in touch with them over.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed May 26, 2012, 21:03 killer_roach

I wouldn't say indie studios are thriving... some indie studios are, just as some AAA studios are. I'd say the failure rate of indie studios is likely far higher, but that would cut against the argument they're trying to make.

Simply put, to use a baseball metaphor (something the company's founder might know a thing or two about), 38 Studios took a home run cut on a first pitch change-up in the dirt. To get the funding they wanted quickly, they made promises that simply were impossible to meet, and as a result, the studio should be faulted (for setting those expectations) as should the state of Rhode Island (for thinking that said expectations were based in reality).

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale May 26, 2012, 00:34 killer_roach

Alamar wrote on May 26, 2012, 00:28:
Rather glad I didn't pick up Confrontation at $40, and now that it's already half off, I think I'll wait a bit...

-Alamar

Likewise. I saw it at first, was kinda intrigued, but immediately thought "that's not worth $40... maybe $15."

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 24, 2012, 12:18 killer_roach

Sounds like the same exploit that was talked about a month or so ago...  

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black May 24, 2012, 03:29 killer_roach

Fantaz wrote on May 24, 2012, 00:02:
For some reason this new ShootMania trailer reminds me a lot of Unreal...

I heard Epic didn't really make Unreal, but it was a Canadian company called DigitalExtremes?

Digital Extremes developed the add-on pack for Unreal, as well as the multiplayer add-on for Unreal 2.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Alan Wake’s American Nightmare
14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alan Wake’s American Nightmare May 23, 2012, 19:52 killer_roach

Rea1One wrote on May 23, 2012, 17:59:
Luv the 15% off from owning the original game on steam!

I got it from GOG when they had their preorder promotion of "buy Alan Wake and get American Nightmare 25% off".

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale May 20, 2012, 21:13 killer_roach

Dmitri_M wrote on May 20, 2012, 20:54:
Prez wrote on May 20, 2012, 20:06:
Buyer beware on Annoy 2070: unrevocable activations (only 3) and changing out a video card or adding memory requires re-activation.

I would have bought it myself if it were not for that. With DRM like that it's barely worth 5 bucks.

Just for the record Bluebyte patched the DRM to prevent video card\RAM changes consuming an activation. The activations reset after 30 days and apparently they'll give you a new activation if you contact UBI directly, but from what I've read they ask for a scanned barcode and proof of purchase. Which is less than Adobe asks for when I run out of activations for Photoshop. Adobe simply takes my word for it, and this is over online IM support. About as impersonal as it gets. Photoshop also costs about 10x what Anno costs.

Scanned barcode... for a game bought on Steam...

...yeah, I'd be screwed if I bought that game.

(That being said, the resetting of activations, if true, is very nice.)

News Comments > Mad Riders Announced
1. Re: Mad Riders Announced May 19, 2012, 23:20 killer_roach

Interesting... been a while since Techland's done a racing game.  

News Comments > Origin Woos Crowd-Funded Games
6. Re: Origin Woos Crowd-Funded Games May 18, 2012, 21:17 killer_roach

ASeven wrote on May 18, 2012, 21:05:
The thread pretty much reflects my feelings. I don't care if it's on Origins as long as they don't get trapped by EA with some shady contract. As long as Origins is one of the various distributors for the game and not the only distributor I don't care. But it's EA we're talking about and more than likely there will be an awful catch since that is EA's nature.

EDIT: For information purposes, EA's shares are exactly at $14 per share. That's 1998 level of stock price.

Of course, EA is, IMO, a fairly undervalued company right now - as I pointed out the other day, they had $200 million in profits last quarter and still are valued less than Zynga (who posted a loss)... but that's neither here nor there, really.

Sure, EA is doing this for their own motives. We get that. But this is precisely the sort of developer outreach they need to make Origin a viable platform. It's not a perfect situation, but a solution that benefits both the developers and EA, with little cost to either, is pretty solid.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 18, 2012, 18:47 killer_roach

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 18, 2012, 13:53:
Cutter wrote on May 18, 2012, 13:31:
And the most entertaining part is watching how hard all the suits try to convince themselves that this is "it".
It sure wasn't "it" almost 30 years ago, it sure isn't now. Though as much as they try, someone will try to warp it into some twisted warped logic that yes, "it" is.

And then you get the interesting Catch-22... while having a "cloud-based" entertainment platform with monthly subscription fees may very well advantage publishers/distributors (who no longer have to worry much about variability in income), it disincentivizes content creators, as there's no way to get outsized returns (like there are in purchase- or pay-per-use-based markets). It's basically rewarding mediocrity, and quantity over quality.

Then again, you also have the idea of account-based cloud content systems, but those provide incentives to the content creators but not the publishers/distributors, which make them pretty much dead in the water.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation May 18, 2012, 18:41 killer_roach

PHJF wrote on May 18, 2012, 15:38:
Black & White is still the premier feces throwing simulator.

I thought that was pretty much any Internet forum.

News Comments > Saints Row 4 Outed?
5. Re: Saints Row 4 Outed? May 16, 2012, 12:07 killer_roach

Hopefully it happens... remember they're owned by THQ, which just had yet another quarter of losing more money than their entire market capitalization.

I have a hard time trusting any THQ plans for anything past next week at this point.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 15, 2012, 14:12 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:09:
Dev wrote on May 15, 2012, 11:35:
"Marketeers would argue that in reality there’s no difference between on-disc DLC and downloadable DLC – the on-disc content would not be there were it not for planned revenue generated by the consumer payout, they say."

LOL

Jesus Christ, marketing people really are the scum of the earth aren't they?

Doesn't keep it from being true. The only difference is that people get more upset when there's data they can't access as opposed to data they didn't know existed, just could be pushed with a flip of a switch.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 23:20 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on May 14, 2012, 22:09:
The real story is why is a guy who's been tanking the company getting such a huge payout? Fucking CEOs man, it's like winning the lottery regardless of how you perform.

A lot of times those severance packages are negotiated at the time they're hired - the company's taking a gamble on their new CEO, and the CEO hire is going to try to get that sort of a severance put into their contract because, as the saying goes, you hire a CEO for the purpose of firing them later.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 13, 2012, 15:25 killer_roach

Wallshadows wrote on May 13, 2012, 12:26:
Less booth babes and no more exclusive invite-only press events would be a start.

That's the inevitable result, but you seem to miss why that will likely result.

The big, lavish trade shows have pretty much always been put on for the benefit of the retailers who might carry your products... who are now less and less important themselves.

It's going to be less and less likely that you'll see mass gatherings for trade shows and the like and more with publishers doing their own events behind closed doors with press or handling product announcements at investor conference calls / Webcasts (which, as dry as they sound, could be where you see the most stylish presentations in the hopes of getting investors on board with them).

The people who really get hurt by this are the Kentia Hall exhibitors at E3, but a lot of them will likely migrate to PAX if they can.

2. Re: When DLC Runs Amok.... May 11, 2012, 15:37 killer_roach

RailWizard wrote on May 11, 2012, 12:23:
DLC doesn't "run amok", the fucking slimeball devs/publishers do that.

It's also no shock at all that it's an Asian company that has 'perfected' this nickle and dime rape train either. Making shit games with a bazillion unwanted sequels would be why all asian game dev corps are at the bottom of the barrel and have been for years. When is the last time any asian developed game had some free content? That's right, never.

One word: Sony. Another word: Capcom. Four more letters: GTFO.

Sony and Capcom are pikers in terms of DLC.

I take it somebody's not familiar with Namco Bandai.

1418 Comments. 71 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo