Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1465 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2012, 17:52 killer_roach

Sepharo wrote on Jul 21, 2012, 13:33:
"72-Year-Old Voiceover Actor Fired From PBS After Being Arrested For Lewd Acts."

What a weird headline and article... Nameless voiceover actor from PBS? Why not Fred Willard from films like Anchorman, Wall-E, and a thousand other comedy movies and tv shows.

There was probably nothing else that he was able to be fired from, but the point is taken on the nameless aspect of it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Day Nine
31. Re: Steam Summer Sale Day Nine Jul 20, 2012, 23:15 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 22:26:
The Half Elf wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 20:20:
Actually Chase put a 'flag' on my account because my spending suddenly changed and they had to review my account for theft. And by spending suddenly changed, I mean not a damn thing that I haven't purchased over and over again for 3 1/2 years with exception of Tickets from Fandango.

I have a friend like that. Almost EVERY SINGLE steam purchase that happens they block his credit card after it. He unlocks it, tells them "yes, I do get things from steam" then its ok... until the next steam purchase. He's had to use paypal to get around his bank screwing it up. Apparently they are ok with random paypal purchases but not steam. His bank also blames visa and says there's nothing they can do. I'm pretty sure that fraud sensitivity is up to the individual banks.

I get that with my credit card when I buy stuff from Green Man Gaming.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Day Nine
20. Re: Steam Summer Sale Day Nine Jul 20, 2012, 18:54 killer_roach

Got ITSP as a gift for a couple of friends. That price made it a no-brainer.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 20, 2012, 17:04 killer_roach

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 14:12:
Prepare to be disappointed if you think MS and Sony will have large spec bumps though.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

The rumored specs for the next consoles for Microsoft and Sony somewhat resemble two-year-old PCs... literally in the case of Sony's next console, as it's supposed to have an x86 CPU.

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Jul 19, 2012, 22:46 killer_roach

Veterator wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 22:18:
If you got a company who treats you like dirt, responds to this by saying something like "Well you just understand what is going on here." and continues to treat you like dirt........whose going to put up with that when they can go elsewhere for their games?

The counterfactual, as the Forbes article points out, is that several other publishers have done similar (or worse) to draw ire of gamers, yet EA is uniquely singled out. You don't see the long knives drawn out for Activision Blizzard, Capcom, Namco Bandai, Ubisoft, Microsoft, or Sony anywhere near as often as they are for EA, and each of them has (arguably) done worse things in terms of customer relations.

Your comment about indies is taken, and has a hidden extra wrinkle to it - you danced around it, but another reason why people don't have the same level of frustration toward indies (even when the games turn out worse than anticipated)... indie games are typically cheap as balls. Worst-case scenario, you get burned by a bad indie game (either in quality or in support), you're out $20. More likely, you're out $5 or less. Your level of what you're willing to tolerate from a $5 game is considerably different from what you'd tolerate from a $60 game, and that's to be expected.

3. Re: etc., etc. Jul 19, 2012, 21:41 killer_roach

Fantaz wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 21:24:
They say EA is in decline because the new console generation is taking too long to come or be announced, but The Old Republic is a PC only game?

TOR is the biggest drag on their earnings at present, and I don't see it getting any better. They overreached, plain and simple, and brought in a developer who didn't know diddly about making an MMO to spearhead a project whose overall budget is likely (once licensing costs are factored in) in the mid-nine figure range.

Most of the other issues they list are manageable (except maybe #5, but I think they can get a return out of PopCap even without social gaming), but TOR really was a major misstep that continues to foul up EA's balance sheets, and there's no end in sight to it.

Overall, though, most of those issues could be rolled up into an additional point:

#6 - They're continuing to fight the last war

EA is learning that risk aversion can itself carry risks, especially in a cyclical business sector, and they have not particularly mastered the art of diversification (as, for instance, Activision has, combining successful properties with a handful of additional investments both in suspected growth areas and counter-cyclical plays). Overall, this doesn't seem to be dooming EA in the long run, but it also means that they're inadvertently limiting profit potential by focusing on jumping into former growth areas that are currently plateauing. This has resulted in EA being, from a personnel and revenue standpoint, a juggernaut in the games industry, but due to rather meager earnings are at a market cap where other industry players have to be eyeing EA as a potential acquisition target.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 19, 2012, 09:06 killer_roach

Dades wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 07:00:
Since you are paying attention and we aren't, which specific predictions are you basing this on?

He's been right more often than not on predicting console price drops, he predicted the $60 retail price point at the start of the current console generation, and his earnings guidance has been, on balance, very accurate.

Again, Pachter isn't speaking from the perspective of a gamer, he's speaking as somebody analyzing the financial side of the industry. Most of the time what he's saying won't register to you unless it's something particularly buzz-worthy, and even then he's more accurate than you would expect for predictions that are basically "reaches".

Of course, the business side of the gaming industry is something that's more often than not sneered at by gamers, so people that represent that end up quite often becoming targets of derision.

News Comments > Steam Sale Day Seven
28. Re: Steam Sale Day Seven Jul 19, 2012, 04:28 killer_roach

nin wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 21:04:
So! SimCity4 at 1 on the charts and NFS at 4. I hope EA doesn't mind their IP being cheapened.

Well, it's not like Amazon hasn't put the games on similar sales before already.

That being said, SC4 is pretty long in the tooth and NFSHP seemed to get a lot of permanent price cuts very quickly, even on Origin (although its price didn't fall as fast as Shift 2 did). At this point, both are likely pretty solidly in the "get the money where you can get it" stage of their life cycle.

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 19, 2012, 04:22 killer_roach

cento wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 03:58:
I don't understand why people keep reporting what this idiot was to say...

Hate to say it, but Pachter is right more often than most here about the state of the gaming industry. It might not be what you like, and you're more likely to remember the misses, but his overall level of accuracy is very high if you're actually paying attention rather than going "lol look what Pachter said," which, gauging from reactions around most gaming fora, is all the more attention that is paid to industry analysts.

As an analyst, most everything he says is some form of an educated guess. While I don't think he's spot on with his analysis here, the odds are good that he's at least partially correct (unless you just happen to think that Nintendo rushed out an alternate controller design out of the goodness of your hearts - if you do, then you're probably the sort of person who actually believes marketing speak).

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 17, 2012, 04:46 killer_roach

Fantaz wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 02:37:
From the sound of it, Pachter is only guessing it's Activision that forced it? Or he has insider information that's the case?

Sounds like Activision didn't tell him explicitly, but he's reading between the lines.

If I were to take a guess, it wasn't just Activision... but they are likely the only publisher with enough sway to make Nintendo change their mind, if they actually did.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 16, 2012, 19:25 killer_roach

Their pre-order page for the PC version on Origin says it includes those bonuses. Hmm.

Closed Betas wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 19:14:
Choices.
Make a game that sells 200,000 copies and becomes a classic
or
Make a game for morons and sell 500,000 copies and become
laughing stock of intenet..

I bet EA chooses door number #2 10 outta 10 times,

They destroyed the industry.. they don't buy out the best studios to control their ip's and talent.. They buy them out to destroy them and control and dominate the complete market.

Everyone needs to wake up and quit buying EA titles...

You're forgetting upside/downside risk.

For an indie, 200,000 is typically top-end sales apart from bundles. Many will fail to crack 50,000 even at reduced price points. Even many of your so-called low-selling "classics" nearly destroyed studios. If you intend to stay in business, that's akin to committing suicide.

For a AAA title, 250-500K is typically the baseline. Anything below that should rightly be considered a disaster, but upside potential is 2-5 million, maybe more.

So, they can make a smaller, niche game and do okay at best, or they can make a splash and potentially generate a massive return.

I will say, however, that EA has likely misread their market in the last two years, expecting the same sort of end-cycle sales that existed in 2004-2005 at the twilight of the PS2's heyday, but it's hard for me to assail a company who makes a mistake of that order and remains largely profitable, as opposed to the developers who seemingly do everything right and have trouble staying afloat.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: minecraft WoW Jul 16, 2012, 14:38 killer_roach

space captain wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 11:49:
looks ok if you zoom out like miles above... zoom in close and it looks like total shit

Well, that's Minecraft in a nutshell.

News Comments > Deadpool Game
7. Re: Deadpool Game Jul 14, 2012, 23:32 killer_roach

kanniballl wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 22:19:
Well, as of a little while ago there was a YouTube video up showing what I imagine was in-game footage.

I wonder if the voice over "pew-pew's" are actually from the game, or just the DeadPool narrator commenting on the video.

If it's being consistent with the character, they're likely in the game.

News Comments > Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter
49. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 19:10 killer_roach

PHJF wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 18:53:
Kickstarter is for letting the public decide what projects get funded and which ones don't. Plain and simple.

Except this is a fucking sequel. If nobody bought the first game, nobody will buy the second game. If the first game sold well (and a sequel is justified), where's the money???

You're making a lot of assumptions about where the money went in the case of the first game, and how much of the work done on the first game is able to be used on a sequel. Since apparently they're having to go to a new engine for the sequel, I can see where their trepidation is, especially if they had a fair amount of loans taken out to finance the production of the first game.

That being said, in the case of traditional publishers, yes - the sequel wouldn't be made simply due to doubts about gaining a return on investment. But I thought that was the sort of consideration that people here hated?

News Comments > Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter
47. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 18:32 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 14:56:
That's exactly it. That's like that KS by Thomas Jane yesterday. He wants 600k...are you kidding me? He's rich already. KS is not for multi-millionaires who don't want to risk any of their own money. It's for people who have zilch and a good idea. I really don't want to see KS devolve into a place where rich and/or successful companies/people who can actually afford to fund their own projects but simply don't want to so they ask everyone else. People who really need the resources shouldn't have to compete with that nonsense.

Kickstarter is for letting the public decide what projects get funded and which ones don't. Plain and simple. Your lust for pitting the little guy against the big guy seems to have blinded you to that fact.

Tom Jane may be a successful actor and quite wealthy, but he doesn't necessarily know that there's a market for a game based off of a story he wrote. (I'd be more shocked if an actor did know that ahead of time, to be honest.) Just because you have millions doesn't mean you should have to put your own money on the line to make something that nobody wants... if anything, millionaires are millionaires precisely because they do their best to avoid spending money on things that people don't want.

News Comments > Clint Hocking Joins Valve
16. Re: Clint Hocking Joins Valve Jul 12, 2012, 20:46 killer_roach

Dades wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 19:00:
killer_roach wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 15:53:
Considering the number of employees Valve has, they should be doing at least one full-scale game a year. Then again, Steam has pretty well allowed them to take their time with their projects.

Nothing wrong with Valve shepherding projects along if it keeps producing quality games. Most of the ones mentioned here were unpolished alpha mod equivalents before they were in the picture, people really underestimate the level of work involved.

Very true, which has helped them largely avoid the trap that a lot of indie developers have, that being a fundamental lack of polish. You can call Valve games a lot of things, but "rough around the edges" isn't one of them.

News Comments > Clint Hocking Joins Valve
13. Re: Clint Hocking Joins Valve Jul 12, 2012, 15:53 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 15:25:
Portal was original, I'll give them that. Everything else was fast, cheap and easy to do, most of of it built on or around mods/other people's work. And what have they really changed about Steam since it launched. Not much and it's still a shitty UI. What do they spend most of their time doing? Making hats for TF2 and crap like that. So yeah, they are lazy considering how large they are and how much money they have. Imagine what that could accomplish if they were actually focused. I like valve but honestly, their work style reminds me more of government workers than a real business.

Portal started off as a student project at DigiPen where Valve hired the developers. Additionally, L4D was a project where Valve bought the development studio.

Considering the number of employees Valve has, they should be doing at least one full-scale game a year. Then again, Steam has pretty well allowed them to take their time with their projects.

3. Re: Valve Counters EA Jul 12, 2012, 03:06 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 00:54:
So it comes down to this: Does EA want $10 of my dollars, or $0? That's the question.

Exactly. I'd expound on this further, but I'm pretty sure that the average person on here would be less than inclined to read a bunch of economic arguments.

News Comments > EA Shakeup Rumor
13. Re: EA Shakeup Rumor Jul 11, 2012, 20:04 killer_roach

deqer wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 20:03:
Ya... it's the CEO's fault. ya... /sarcasm

The old rule of thumb... you hire a CEO for the purposes of firing them later.

News Comments > EA Shakeup Rumor
11. Re: EA Shakeup Rumor Jul 11, 2012, 20:03 killer_roach

ASeven wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 19:59:
After this something tells me that Pachter will start to hear a lot less insider info from EA. Not to mention he made a cardinal sin for an analyst by saying that, he knows markets react wildly to even the slightest of rumor let alone leaking out a personal discussion with a potential for tremendous repercussions.

Holy crap Pachter, not only you're an unreliable, manipulative son of a bitch you're also a fucking incompetent by being the vehicle of this leak. Why Ricitiello didn't fire him on the spot after learning of a private talk getting public by means of the own analyst EA hires is beyond me. Serious ethical breach here and also a serious professional breach as well.

Pachter doesn't work for EA, although it's very likely that he burned some bridges there. Then again, if it is Moore that takes over, that might be water under the bridge, as I don't think he'd be particularly upset that a loose-lipped analyst forced EA's hand in dumping Riccitiello.

1465 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo