Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1445 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Shakeup Rumor
3. Re: EA Shakeup Rumor Jul 11, 2012, 19:19 killer_roach

Wouldn't come as a surprise to me. EA is still profitable, but earnings have been moving in the wrong direction for a couple of years now and they face considerable downmarket pressures. It wouldn't come as much of a surprise if Riccitiello was asked to fall on his sword and get someone else in charge.

On the bright side for EA, some of those downmarket threats (most notably Zynga) are starting to flail about in search of earnings growth and are becoming victims of their own overly aggressive strategies. It's looking more and more like the middle ground is becoming increasingly perilous for players in the field, and we may see gaming end up with a corporate structure not unlike film, with a handful of large, risk averse players at the top and a series of small, agile, and largely ephemeral players on the periphery of the market, taking advantage of emerging trends that the major names can't afford to risk getting into themselves at the time being.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 10, 2012, 22:55 killer_roach

MrGrosser wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 22:27:
Ouya is a scam.

http://i.imgur.com/75MEN.jpg

I had to laugh at the "Android lacks proper power management" bit, considering the maximum power draw of a Tegra 3 system is still less than that of the Wii.

Most of the rest of the points are valid, though... basically they're creating a low-end console with commodity hardware and an open ecosystem. The only practical upshot is that you'll effectively be able to come up with a superior Ouya clone every 6-12 months if you so chose.

News Comments > KAOS Studios Postmortem
17. Re: KAOS Studios Postmortem Jul 7, 2012, 22:05 killer_roach

ASeven wrote on Jul 7, 2012, 22:03:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jul 7, 2012, 21:59:
A big cathartic crash would be nice. Don't see it happening though. Game publishers will just stop making high budget titles and simplify and move to platforms like mobile that are profitable. This process is slow and has being going on for years.

As long as they leave the PC alone I couldn't care less.

But do read the two articles I linked on my previous message. They do explain things quite well and why it's very, very possible the crash will happen soon.

Goodie. So you, in a fit of juvenile pique, would rather pretty well immolate the entire industry for the next 5-10 years just because you're not seeing the games you like?

I'm sorry, but you're what is wrong with the industry, not the publishers.

News Comments > KAOS Studios Postmortem
13. Re: KAOS Studios Postmortem Jul 7, 2012, 20:54 killer_roach

ASeven wrote on Jul 7, 2012, 19:26:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 7, 2012, 19:20:
ASeven wrote on Jul 7, 2012, 18:37:
AnointedSword wrote on Jul 7, 2012, 17:47:
Funny, they sold millions of copies yet still was a failure.

Gaming industry today.

Pretty much. EA has publically stated that if Dead Space 3 doesn't sell at least 5 million units, it will be the last game in the series.

It's reached the point where the market can't sustain itself. Too many big-budget games trying to compete with one another, with only a few actually achieving profitability due to ridiculously high development and marketing costs.

Perfect conditions for a crash, won't you say?

Same can be said of most any mass media format, though. If anything, you'll see a pivot in how publishers position and market their products if they find their current situation untenable. I doubt we're going to see the sort of sudden demand crash that marked the early 80s collapse of the gaming industry, mostly because we aren't seeing many new players in the top end, just downstream.

That being said, are the major publishers screwed as far as the current state of things are headed? Quite likely - that or they simply resign themselves to being less able to leverage themselves to finance new projects or attempt expansion by acquisition.

I will say, though, that you seem almost gleeful for the prospects of a 1983-like crash.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 5, 2012, 16:57 killer_roach

Flatline wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 16:33:
Actually the small publishers are already there charging 5-10 bucks for apps when it comes to digitized board games.

Summoner Wars (sort of) launched yesterday and to unlock all the factions it's 8 bucks. Haggis, another extremely popular board game, costs 5. Carcassone costs like 12 and while they aren't top 25/angry birds levels of insane sales, they sell steadily, for long periods of time.

Quit bothering them with pesky things like facts and logic. They don't like it.

That being said, it's becoming clearly evident that no dominant pricing strategy exists for video games, although a newly-discovered successful one will attract a lot of attention from the big money players out there. As a result, for smaller studios the smart play will likely always be in cutting against the grain. If the big guns focus their resources on big-budget AAA titles priced at the current retail norms, then the indies will go downstream to mid-tier and lower price points. If the big guys go subscription-based, then the indies have a play with episodic gaming. If the incumbent publishers move into free-to-play, then developers of niche titles might, oddly enough, have an angle at pushing all-encompassing titles at higher price points to better cater to the demands of their customers, who want it all and are willing to pay for it all.

What I'm getting at is there's no single pricing model that fits all needs, and that, contrary to Parallax Abstraction's fears, no matter where the big money goes there's likely no way for them to squeeze out other players.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Plans
4. Re: FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Plans Jul 4, 2012, 12:12 killer_roach

Eirikrautha wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 11:54:
So it's not bad enough that Hollywood has no creativity and must continue to remake the same movies over and over again (as if the world needs another Total Recall); now we have video games condemned to eternal creative loops. Don't get me wrong, FFVII was the height of JRPGs... but I'd rather see a new good one than replay an old one...

And yet, IMO, FFVII was the worst of the games in the series from the PSOne era.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Jul 2, 2012, 12:38 killer_roach

RailWizard wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 12:18:
Yeah, Japan. They've been irrelevant for like 15 years. No one gives a flying fuck about FFXXXIIIIV or w/e other cliched crap they just can't let go of.

Seems like race-baiting trolls also have a lot of cliched crap they just can't get rid of.

News Comments > Sony to Acquire Gaikai
11. Re: Sony to Acquire Gaikai Jul 2, 2012, 11:19 killer_roach

reisub wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 11:15:
ledhead1969 wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 11:03:
The bandwidth just isn't there yet for any type of game that requires twitch/split second timing.
That's down to network latency, not bandwidth. It could be improved with faster routing tech (optical switching etc) but could never match local play. It's out of the control of these cloud gaming companies anyway. Bandwidth is also an issue ofc, but for different reasons.

Personally speaking, I've been playing Borderlands on OnLive and have found it quite playable.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
28. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 1, 2012, 23:08 killer_roach

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 20:10:
Why would anyone buy a game at release anymore unless it was a super favorite?

That's basically the idea - pricing is price discrimination using willingness to wait as an inverse proxy for willingness to pay.

Get the people who really have to have it right away to pay as much as they can, then keep lowering the price throughout the game's life cycle to pick up additional people as time passes.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 1, 2012, 19:39 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 19:31:
nin wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 14:52:

http://i.imgur.com/jVf9p.jpg

Pfft, logical fallacy. They can't start sometime between now and the time they start, because they start the time they start. It's impossible for them to start between then and a time before then.

Rather, they start sometime between now and the time they end.

So technically they start after the time window Gabe said.

Valve Time lives!

News Comments > Death Rally Remake for PCs Next Month
3. Re: Death Rally Remake for PCs Next Month Jul 1, 2012, 19:06 killer_roach

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 18:18:
The iOS version's controls are absolutely awful and make the game nigh unplayable, as is the case with pretty much anything that tries to do that on-screen joystick and button crap. The game underneath looked very promising though. I hope the version on PC that you can control worth a damn is much better.

Honestly, I found the iOS version to be one of the few games with a virtual joystick that I could control worth a damn.

Still, I will gladly welcome more responsive controls.

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Jun 27, 2012, 09:58 killer_roach

nin wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 09:21:
What he said. After the demo and reviews, I wouldn't take DA2 for free...

Personally, I'd say you're delusional, but to each their own. (Wasn't worth full price, but the typical $20 regular price isn't bad for it unless your willingness to pay for games in general is near zero.)

News Comments > Gearbox TMs "Shift" - Has Steamy Plans?
24. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 26, 2012, 14:13 killer_roach

Yakubs wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 13:47:
Uh, have you packra-- I mean, guys ever heard of the Steam feature that allows you to "uninstall" a game? The whole point of something like Steam is that you can uninstall the games and reinstall them at will...

I've symlinked the game data and the GCFs onto my external hard drive - I can schlep my entire collection between any of my computers at will.

News Comments > Gearbox TMs "Shift" - Has Steamy Plans?
20. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 26, 2012, 13:22 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 13:12:
As for Steam, I just install the games I want to play, and have every single other one backed up to an external 2GB HD. When I want to play another game, I copy the game folder into my steamapps/common folder, tell Steam to install it (which takes 10 seconds to a few minutes) and I'm ready to go.

That works fine except for a few games that apparently don't recognize that you've just put the game files already there. Mass Effect 2 was one of those, which was a nice surprise when I realized I had to redownload 15 Gigs on my 3GB/day speed...

Creston

Yeah, I have a 2TB USB 3.0 drive that I've moved my Steam collection to... works fast enough to play games off of, the only problem being that I'm down under 50GB free on it...

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 22:35 killer_roach

jimnms wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 21:05:
I have yet to see this dumbing down in Civ V. Some parts of the game were streamlined or simplified, but not dumbed down. I find it more challenging than Civ IV. No longer can I create a huge military stack and steam roll my way to an easy domination or territory victory. I tried creating a massive army in my first game and dominating the other civs only to find my civilization crumbling due to massive unhappieness from expanding too fast and razing and conquering a few cities. By the time I managed to get my civs happy enough to begin producing stuff and my military fighting again, I was left in the dust while the other civs had advanced way ahead of me. Civ V requires a lot more strategy and planning than Civ IV.

Some people don't understand the difference between streamlining and dumbing down, and assume that it's an affront to your intelligence if you don't have to spend months learning the mechanics of the various game systems.

Personally, I'd just call that approach poor design, but to each their own.

News Comments > Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo
6. Re: Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo Jun 24, 2012, 22:33 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 20:29:
And Scrolls has to break into this crowded online collectible market. I have no idea why notch is screwing around with this, he should be focusing on minecraft stuff, minecraft expansion, minecraft 2, etc.

Probably because Notch has taken Minecraft as far as he can, which would explain also why he's handed the reins to it to somebody else.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2012, 16:36 killer_roach

Might be the last day of the heat wave, but the respite will be short-lived... here in Michigan we had temps up in the mid to upper 90s until Thursday, and it's looking like by Wednesday or Thursday it'll be back into the 90s. Looks like you'll get a week's break from the heat, then the blast furnace resumes.  

News Comments > Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition
25. Re: Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition Jun 22, 2012, 00:23 killer_roach

OpticNerve wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 21:35:
Calling it now: Diablo 3 is Blizzard's Dragon Age 2.

That's being unnecessarily spiteful and malicious.

To EA, of course.

News Comments > THQ VP Resigns
12. Re: THQ VP Resigns Jun 21, 2012, 13:58 killer_roach

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 13:44:
Down a slippery slope, I predict THQ to be dissolved totally before labor day.

I still maintain there's a chance that Time Warner buys them outright to fold them into WB Games, but, considering their debt load (more than an order of magnitude more than their market cap), any buyer is likely just waiting for the inevitable liquidation. Once that happens, almost anybody's in the running - Volition and Relic are the crown jewels, and the possibility that either could go for $50 million or less would make them incredibly sought-after.

News Comments > Quoteworthy
14. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 20, 2012, 23:35 killer_roach

Dades wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 22:13:
Yep, this is a load of crap. EA is going to charge you for the box, charge you for the DLC and then charge you for stuff in a shop.

Well, not necessarily - charging to get in creates a barrier to entry, and makes one more thing that you have to manage the price of. Ultimately, the best way to maximize revenue from any product is to get everybody to pay you as much as they're willing to pay - if that ends up being nothing, so be it. If that's $1, so be it. If it's $1,000 - congratulations, you just made up for the people who paid $1 or less.

1445 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo