Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1436 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Sanctum OS X Plans
9. Re: Sanctum OS X Plans Jul 29, 2012, 09:19 killer_roach

OldTimber wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 05:36:
I thought this used a Unreal engine since it pretty much behaved like one when I picked it up last year during the steam sale. Pretty much was hitting every tower defense game last summer to kill the time and while this was ok, it just wasn't interesting enough for me to reinstall during my winter rebuild.

It is running UE3.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
7. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 29, 2012, 01:53 killer_roach

DukeFNukem wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 21:30:
Oops, looks like I hit the nerve of an ObamaCare supporter. Sorry bout that!

I'm a libertarian, actually... just somebody who's in command of the facts.

4. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 28, 2012, 21:28 killer_roach

DukeFNukem wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 21:21:
So the government is now recruiting hackers. The Obama administration never ceases to amaze. They never have been one to let petty things such as laws or the U.S. Constitution stand in the way of their goals. So, I can't say Im surprised by this move. I guess hiring criminals is a good way to beat them. If you can't beat them, hire them.

The government's been hiring hackers since at least the Reagan administration, if not before that.

The tinfoil hat you're wearing looks like it might be cutting off blood flow to your brain.

News Comments > Sanctum OS X Plans
4. Re: Sanctum OS X Plans Jul 28, 2012, 20:32 killer_roach

DrEvil wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 17:01:
The Mac has everything needed to make games, and I would note that the total amount of revenue collected on every Humble Bundle has been greater for the mac than for Linux.

And that's even considering that most of the top donors for the Humble Bundles list their OS as Linux to bolster their geek cred. It's probably a 3:1 ratio or more once you correct for that.

Additionally, while Linux has a "geek" reputation, it also has a bit of a reputation as a hobbyist OS. Sanctum, for an indie game, requires a decent amount of processing power, something that is likely in the minority among Linux users.

2. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 28, 2012, 19:00 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 15:19:
“We need great talent,” he said. “We don’t pay as high as some of the others, but we are fun to be around.”

Wow, great recruitment pitch. Considering how much money the military wastes perhaps they should be funneling more of it into acquiring and retaining skilled people and less on pork-barrel projects that amount to nothing but a cash grab for political cronies. And really, how fun can the NSA be?

If they think you're worth bringing on at any cost, they'll make it happen by making your position classified.

If they think you're just good, you're probably stuck in the standard civil service pay schedule, which, by federal law, is capped at the salary of a member of the US House (a decent sum, but high-level security experts can pull down far greater in the private sector).

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 28, 2012, 07:40 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 04:00:
Looking forward to what the SEC has to say.

As far as I can tell, they filed all the SEC disclosure paperwork for that... it's just coming to light now that people are seeing the stock value tank.

I considered putting money into Zynga stock, seeing as they had some upside potential... but seeing their recent earnings report, I'm glad I didn't. Right now they seem unable to hold their past levels of revenue and profit, which makes their current valuation (even reduced about 80% from its highs) sketchy to say the least.

I bet we'll be seeing similar stories out of Facebook in a few months as well - both companies being ones who, inexplicably, filed their IPO at what could arguably be their peak.

It may just be a function of how compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley affects companies wanting to go public, but, in the wake of most of these social media IPOs in the last year or two, I'm guessing investors might start looking at these more in the way that I have been - that they're not raising cash to grow the company, the principals are simply trying to cash out.

News Comments > INVERSION on Steam
11. Re: INVERSION on Steam Jul 28, 2012, 07:27 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 00:58:
Oh HELL YEAH it did. In fact I'm thinking of putting myself into forced hybernation for the Xmas sale.

I was about the opposite this time around. Guess I was waiting on a handful of sales that never did materialize.

News Comments > Indie Royale July Jubilee Bundle
5. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 24, 2012, 15:36 killer_roach

UConnBBall wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 12:24:
No Linux support no buy support

I'm sure you won't be missed.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 24, 2012, 00:54 killer_roach

330Mbit FTTN trial? Damn impressive, especially considering I'm stuck with 18Mbit FTTN at present.  

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Jul 22, 2012, 01:46 killer_roach

PHJF wrote on Jul 22, 2012, 01:13:
Well I can't put a PS3 game in without it patching. Or firmware requiring an update, for that matter. I take for granted that Steam does this without me even noticing. :|

Yeah. I get some auto-patching with PSN+, but even still it won't install firmware for me, and it only auto-patches games I've played recently. Sony's trying, but they need a swift boot in the ass about how to do it correctly.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Jul 21, 2012, 17:56 killer_roach

peteham wrote on Jul 21, 2012, 17:43:
While the re-certification fee seems ludicrous, it's not as if Fish went into this completely blind. All of this stuff would've been in the contract, yet he took the deal for XBLA exclusivity. He was also quite vocal about Fez being a console game, yet suddenly PC and the ease of patching on Steam is preferable after all? Hah.

Yeah. While the cost of a patch is ludicrous, it wasn't like this wasn't well known from other developers in the industry. It's possible he is that naive, but there's more than a little bit of angling for leverage in Fish's approach. You almost wonder if Microsoft just calls his bluff and goes "Fine, release it on Steam, see if we care".

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2012, 17:52 killer_roach

Sepharo wrote on Jul 21, 2012, 13:33:
"72-Year-Old Voiceover Actor Fired From PBS After Being Arrested For Lewd Acts."

What a weird headline and article... Nameless voiceover actor from PBS? Why not Fred Willard from films like Anchorman, Wall-E, and a thousand other comedy movies and tv shows.

There was probably nothing else that he was able to be fired from, but the point is taken on the nameless aspect of it.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Day Nine
31. Re: Steam Summer Sale Day Nine Jul 20, 2012, 23:15 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 22:26:
The Half Elf wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 20:20:
Actually Chase put a 'flag' on my account because my spending suddenly changed and they had to review my account for theft. And by spending suddenly changed, I mean not a damn thing that I haven't purchased over and over again for 3 1/2 years with exception of Tickets from Fandango.

I have a friend like that. Almost EVERY SINGLE steam purchase that happens they block his credit card after it. He unlocks it, tells them "yes, I do get things from steam" then its ok... until the next steam purchase. He's had to use paypal to get around his bank screwing it up. Apparently they are ok with random paypal purchases but not steam. His bank also blames visa and says there's nothing they can do. I'm pretty sure that fraud sensitivity is up to the individual banks.

I get that with my credit card when I buy stuff from Green Man Gaming.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Day Nine
20. Re: Steam Summer Sale Day Nine Jul 20, 2012, 18:54 killer_roach

Got ITSP as a gift for a couple of friends. That price made it a no-brainer.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 20, 2012, 17:04 killer_roach

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 14:12:
Prepare to be disappointed if you think MS and Sony will have large spec bumps though.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

The rumored specs for the next consoles for Microsoft and Sony somewhat resemble two-year-old PCs... literally in the case of Sony's next console, as it's supposed to have an x86 CPU.

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Jul 19, 2012, 22:46 killer_roach

Veterator wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 22:18:
If you got a company who treats you like dirt, responds to this by saying something like "Well you just understand what is going on here." and continues to treat you like dirt........whose going to put up with that when they can go elsewhere for their games?

The counterfactual, as the Forbes article points out, is that several other publishers have done similar (or worse) to draw ire of gamers, yet EA is uniquely singled out. You don't see the long knives drawn out for Activision Blizzard, Capcom, Namco Bandai, Ubisoft, Microsoft, or Sony anywhere near as often as they are for EA, and each of them has (arguably) done worse things in terms of customer relations.

Your comment about indies is taken, and has a hidden extra wrinkle to it - you danced around it, but another reason why people don't have the same level of frustration toward indies (even when the games turn out worse than anticipated)... indie games are typically cheap as balls. Worst-case scenario, you get burned by a bad indie game (either in quality or in support), you're out $20. More likely, you're out $5 or less. Your level of what you're willing to tolerate from a $5 game is considerably different from what you'd tolerate from a $60 game, and that's to be expected.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Jul 19, 2012, 21:41 killer_roach

Fantaz wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 21:24:
They say EA is in decline because the new console generation is taking too long to come or be announced, but The Old Republic is a PC only game?

TOR is the biggest drag on their earnings at present, and I don't see it getting any better. They overreached, plain and simple, and brought in a developer who didn't know diddly about making an MMO to spearhead a project whose overall budget is likely (once licensing costs are factored in) in the mid-nine figure range.

Most of the other issues they list are manageable (except maybe #5, but I think they can get a return out of PopCap even without social gaming), but TOR really was a major misstep that continues to foul up EA's balance sheets, and there's no end in sight to it.

Overall, though, most of those issues could be rolled up into an additional point:

#6 - They're continuing to fight the last war

EA is learning that risk aversion can itself carry risks, especially in a cyclical business sector, and they have not particularly mastered the art of diversification (as, for instance, Activision has, combining successful properties with a handful of additional investments both in suspected growth areas and counter-cyclical plays). Overall, this doesn't seem to be dooming EA in the long run, but it also means that they're inadvertently limiting profit potential by focusing on jumping into former growth areas that are currently plateauing. This has resulted in EA being, from a personnel and revenue standpoint, a juggernaut in the games industry, but due to rather meager earnings are at a market cap where other industry players have to be eyeing EA as a potential acquisition target.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 19, 2012, 09:06 killer_roach

Dades wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 07:00:
Since you are paying attention and we aren't, which specific predictions are you basing this on?

He's been right more often than not on predicting console price drops, he predicted the $60 retail price point at the start of the current console generation, and his earnings guidance has been, on balance, very accurate.

Again, Pachter isn't speaking from the perspective of a gamer, he's speaking as somebody analyzing the financial side of the industry. Most of the time what he's saying won't register to you unless it's something particularly buzz-worthy, and even then he's more accurate than you would expect for predictions that are basically "reaches".

Of course, the business side of the gaming industry is something that's more often than not sneered at by gamers, so people that represent that end up quite often becoming targets of derision.

News Comments > Steam Sale Day Seven
28. Re: Steam Sale Day Seven Jul 19, 2012, 04:28 killer_roach

nin wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 21:04:
So! SimCity4 at 1 on the charts and NFS at 4. I hope EA doesn't mind their IP being cheapened.

Well, it's not like Amazon hasn't put the games on similar sales before already.

That being said, SC4 is pretty long in the tooth and NFSHP seemed to get a lot of permanent price cuts very quickly, even on Origin (although its price didn't fall as fast as Shift 2 did). At this point, both are likely pretty solidly in the "get the money where you can get it" stage of their life cycle.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 19, 2012, 04:22 killer_roach

cento wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 03:58:
I don't understand why people keep reporting what this idiot was to say...

Hate to say it, but Pachter is right more often than most here about the state of the gaming industry. It might not be what you like, and you're more likely to remember the misses, but his overall level of accuracy is very high if you're actually paying attention rather than going "lol look what Pachter said," which, gauging from reactions around most gaming fora, is all the more attention that is paid to industry analysts.

As an analyst, most everything he says is some form of an educated guess. While I don't think he's spot on with his analysis here, the odds are good that he's at least partially correct (unless you just happen to think that Nintendo rushed out an alternate controller design out of the goodness of your hearts - if you do, then you're probably the sort of person who actually believes marketing speak).

1436 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo