Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1465 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2012, 18:23 killer_roach

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 17:29:
Seriously, who the hell is Floyd Mayweather.. no actually, what did he ever win? Last time I checked zeh Klitschko's hold all titles.

Mayweather's not a heavyweight - he'll never go up against the Klitschko brothers, as they're much, much larger than he is. He fights primarily at welterweight, although he's held titles in a handful of the middle tier of weight classes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2012, 02:17 killer_roach

Rossafur wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 00:44:
Seems every time a Kotaku article shows up on here it's some ridiculous entitlement BS or just plain trolling. Do they write ANYTHING worthwhile? I don't feel particularly inclined to really look into it myself...

They're owned by Gawker. They're well-versed in the art of trolling for traffic.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2012, 11:00 killer_roach

But isn't this what the Giants do every year? Suck it up the first few weeks, then storm back to life at the end of the year?  

News Comments > DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer
29. Re: There's no need for this game on the PC at all. Sep 5, 2012, 17:36 killer_roach

zombiefan wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 17:29:
Ha. The games that helped launch internet gaming being sold without the very feature that they are most praised for. Idiots.

In all honesty, like the people interested in playing Doom or Doom II on PC are going to bother with this pack.

(Granted, I'd go a step further and say the market for this pack on PC probably is more or less non-existent, but whatever.)

25. Re: There's no need for this game on the PC at all. Sep 5, 2012, 17:05 killer_roach

Flatline wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 17:01:
I have to ask... why is this even a story?

Doom 3 is a decade old, Doom came out when I was in middle school. While I'd normally be all for ensemble packs like this, why is Bethesda pimping it like it's a real event? Is iD *that* crappy these days? That we have to go back to games we released a decade ago?

I guess some upgraded engine work/textures is kind of cool, but it's hard to get excited about this... at all.

I'm guessing they thought that there was a market for console-playable Doom, and that it was a pretty quick and easy project to do.

22. Re: There's no need for this game on the PC at all. Sep 5, 2012, 16:32 killer_roach

Shataan wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 13:28:
If a complete package for PC gamers is NOT there, then PC gamers should be able to pay LESS for the PC release. $39.00 bucks tops for the PC BFG Edition. Sounds fair.

Amazon is listing it for $29.99 on PC and $39.99 on consoles.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2012, 17:46 killer_roach

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 17:30:
Don't kid yourself -- the NFL is doing this for their benefit, not yours. I see it as a money grab by the richest sport in the US.

You like it. I don't. Let's leave it at that.

Then again, it's the only one of the four major sports in the US that doesn't have events every day of the week. Keep that in mind (although not too loudly, don't want to give Goodell any ideas).

News Comments > Black Ops 2 Specs; No XP Support
10. Re: Black Ops 2 Specs; No XP Support Sep 4, 2012, 17:44 killer_roach

Trevellian wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 17:27:
Flatline wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 16:25:
Even if this was a game I cared about I'd be fine with this. It's time to move on.

In that respect, it's also time to move on from 32-bit systems. I run, and my entire company runs, on win 7 64 bit now, and it's been a year or two and there hasn't been a single issue. I'm not sure *why* Windows 7 didn't come default as a 64-bit system in fact.

Couldn't tell you. I have run Win7 64 bit since Win7 was released. The whole time hearing people say how bad it was, yet I had no issues. Never made sense to me.

Used to hear the same things about WinXP x64 and Vista x64... ran both of them without incident, either. Regardless, considering my desktop has 16GB of RAM now, a 64-bit OS is basically mandatory.

News Comments > More on Valve's Hardware Plans
3. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 10:43 killer_roach

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 10:26:
I really don't understand where they're going with this. Seems like a bit of lark and I hope it doesn't cost them too much...

Like it or not, this is Valve's core business anymore. They're not a developer, they're not a publisher - they're a retailer and marketer. That's where their bread is buttered.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 29, 2012, 03:21 killer_roach

JeffD wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 02:36:
Lack of game support. The obscene price of the memory sticks. The cost of the unit itself. The lockdown on the number of users per device (ie. . 1 user). Now the lockdown of 1 user to a memory stick so you can't share memory sticks. The hardware is great but every single other aspect of it fucking sucks and you are only hurting the industry by giving sony money for this pile of crap.

Only one handheld gaming unit has gotten it right imo... the ipod touch/iphone.

The iTouch/iPhone is a complete piece of shit when it comes to gaming, the iTouch in particular (<2 hour battery life in gaming, overheating issues, software stability issues... I speak from experience as an iTouch 4th Gen owner). The only thing it has going for it is cheap games, but most of them are cases where you get what you pay for.

We're still not seeing mobile phones specced to the level of the Vita (not even the Optimus G, although that will have a faster CPU... the GPU, on the other hand...), the problem is that the market has become too used to disposable gaming for the handheld segment and Sony isn't seemingly willing to do what Nintendo does to push their handhelds - namely, rape the ever-loving hell out of their IP portfolio in the hopes of appealing to nostalgia.

That being said, it seems as though mobile gaming has been effectively taken over by the casual crowd. Shame, really, but this is the ADHD Generation we're talking about.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
11. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Aug 25, 2012, 20:27 killer_roach

Steele Johnson wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 20:12:
I'd be freakin' pissed if I worked on something for 5 years using my own hard-earned money and all that time, only for someone else (a much bigger company) to come along and blatantly rip off my design and start selling it in just a few months! I'm glad Samsung lost. This kind of copying stalls technology because it does not encourage innovation. Apple and Samsung aside, this shouldn't happen to anyone! I hope the injunction goes through! No one should be able to sell a flippin' copy of my idea!! Think about if it was your idea! You'd be pissed too.

You might want to read the patents involved. This isn't about cloning, reverse engineering, or whatnot. Apple basically claims they own the right to make a rectangular-shaped tablet with a menu that features a rectangular grid of square icons, and they got a judge and jury to go along with it.

9. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Aug 25, 2012, 20:02 killer_roach

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 18:37:
Wow a billion in damages and likely injunction(s) to prevent sales for many popular phones.. in the USA we call that stimulating the economy! Congrats to the lady-judge on securing some of that Asian scratch!

Talk is Judge Koh will issue an injunction effectively banning all Samsung smartphones and tablets in the United States.

All of a sudden my girlfriend's Galaxy Note 10.1 is becoming a collector's item...

4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Aug 25, 2012, 17:53 killer_roach

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 17:13:
Anyone paying close enough attention to know if Apple's patent suit is anywhere close to having merit? Or is it just normal stupid patent law that would have been thrown out before the trial started if common sense prevailed?

From what I know of patent law, most (if not all) of the patents at the core of the lawsuit should have been invalidated on the basis of prior art (then again, Judge Koh did all she could to bar evidence of this from the trial), obviousness, or triviality.

However, there's a reason why Apple filed the case where they did - Lucy Koh has a long-standing track record of delivering pro-Apple verdicts in lawsuits. I just hope Samsung, on appeal, requests the case be heard before Richard Posner in Chicago, who is likely to throw the case out and invalidate the patents in question.

As it currently stands, so long as the patents are upheld as valid, pretty much no company can make a smartphone or tablet without getting explicit permission from Apple. Scary stuff.

News Comments > Dark Souls Resolution Hack
18. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 16:12 killer_roach

Jivaro wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 16:01:
Am I the only one that wishes they had worked more on polishing the PC port rather then shoehorning some content in? I mean, if I am making the decisions, it would seem to me that you would be doing the game, the franchise, and your company a favor both in sales and in terms of long term reputation to manage your limited resources in a way that puts everything in the best possible light. Personally, I think that would have been to simply port the original game correctly rather then trying to add some limited additional content. People aren't buying this on PC because they expect a different game, they are expecting the same game except on a more capable platform. What good is it to release a half-assed port that doesn't take advantage of the platform? Now you have succeeded in nothing positive. Poor design choice, limited resources or not, imo.

It's not exactly easy to polish a PC port when a studio has no experience doing anything for PC.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 23, 2012, 20:27 killer_roach

mag wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 16:41:
dj LiTh wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 04:44:
A blueray disk doesnt hold enough data to be able to push an hour n half movie at 4k, not even close. Rumor fail.

A 25GB Blu-Ray can hold 3-4 hours of MPEG4 1080p (~2.1 megapixels) content. The Blu-Ray spec allows for 100GB discs. "4K" covers a whole bunch of resolutions which fall between 7 and 12 megapixels. 3840x2160 (double the vertical and horizontal resolution of 1080p) seems most likely, so ~8.3 megapixels.

100GB seems like it'd be plenty for a movie at 4K. I don't think current Blu-Ray uses state-of-the-art encoding, either.

If they move to h.265 encoding for 4K Blu-Ray, it's possible they could get sufficient quality at that resolution out of a 45-50Mbit stream, which would mean quite a few movies could be available in 4K on currently-existing dual-layer 50GB discs, much less discs with more layers than that.

News Comments > Black Isle Studios Name Revived
36. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 23, 2012, 00:04 killer_roach

Acleacius wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 23:42:
Sadly, sort of doubt they are in debt atm after the big pay off for Fallout full rights. They are probably going to try hire a big name or two, then try to kickstart.

If I heard correctly, the payoff was in the low seven figures. That would last a few weeks of AAA game development.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 23, 2012, 00:03 killer_roach

theglaze wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 22:14:
4K res? Sure, at <25fps

"Supporting" a resolution and "having playable games" at that resolution are two different things.

Then again, could you imagine a remade version of Rayman Origins at 4K?

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: T-Mobile’s service to be limited no longer Aug 22, 2012, 21:24 killer_roach

I have T-Mobile, but I recently moved to southern Indiana, where even hitting the 2GB data threshold is nigh on impossible.

Not sure what I'll do when it comes time to upgrade my phone. Probably switch to Verizon, as much as I'd rather not. At least they have LTE here.

News Comments > Sony Liverpool Closing
23. Re: Sony Liverpool Closing Aug 22, 2012, 16:56 killer_roach

nin wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 16:20:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 16:15:
Destruction Derby, Lemmings, and Shadow of the Beast were so awesome back in the day.

Also, Psygnosis had one of the coolest logos in the biz. As soon as I read the name, that logo popped into my brain even though I hadn't thought about them for 20 years.

http://kotaku.com/5603933/

Amnios looks like a Yes album cover.

A lot of the old Psygnosis box artwork was actually done by Roger Dean, the artist who has done most of Yes' album covers...

News Comments > EA Exploring Sale?
34. Re: EA Exploring Sale? Aug 18, 2012, 04:17 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 12:42:
killer_roach wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 03:14:
The problem, however, lies in that publishers are getting more and more squeezed on margins as game distribution goes digital,

Huh? Isn't that the other way around. They get a far, FAR bigger cut of the pie from digital sales than they do from B&M sales...

Creston

What I'm getting at is that publishers are less needed for digital distribution, just a contract with a distributor. One of the likely easy places for EA to gain increased revenue (at a high profit margin) is to expand the EA Partners program, but why sign with EA when you can just put your game on Steam yourself?

1465 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo