Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1462 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Divinity Anthology Collector's Edition & Pick Your Price Promo
11. Re: Divinity Anthology Collector's Edition & Pick Your Price Promo Oct 11, 2012, 04:40 killer_roach

Keith wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 14:57:
I checked the deal out. At first blush, seems like a good deal for a "pay your own price" schtick. Then I saw that you have to be one of the top contributors (e.g. pay the most) to get a shot at getting D2: Developer's Cut. Thought it might be worth a shot since you can fly as a dragon. The "maybe" aspect of it sucks though.

So long as you meet or beat the price they quote you, you get the game into your collection.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 11, 2012, 03:46 killer_roach

ViRGE wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 03:00:
That has to be the dumbest article I've read all month. That's pure and simple link bait. Moving from a LiveCD to a LiveDVD is not "shutting out old PCs". DVD drives have been standard for over 10 years now.

But what am I going to do with my AMD K5 desktop? </sarcasm>

News Comments > More Project Eternity Stretch Goals
14. Re: More Project Eternity Stretch Goals Oct 6, 2012, 20:37 killer_roach

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 18:39:
Jumped on this yesterday and got the last 20.00 spot.

Every time a $20 backer ups their pledge it frees up another spot at that level. I've seen it "sell out" four or five times at least, and I'm only checking on a daily or so basis.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2012, 17:15 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 11:52:
As for the triple crown not getting the attention it deserves, it's because quite a lot of fans are (grudgingly) starting to realize that batting average and RsBI are fairly pointless statistics. They're fun to look at in a glance, but people (even the mongrels at the BBWAA) are slowly coming to accept that there are much better statistics that tell you much more about how good and how valuable a player really is.

That said, it is still a pretty tremendous achievement, and I applaud it.

Creston

Then again, Mike Trout (the main rival to Cabrera for the MVP race) largely has a high WAR value due to blowing out the numbers on stolen bases, a stat that almost nobody specializes in anymore. As a result, even a modest stolen base total will cause a significant raise in WAR (as the average player at their position will have very few). For somebody like Trout, who ran away with the stolen base lead...

It results in interesting numbers, but saying Trout should be MVP based on WAR inflated by stolen bases means that Vince Coleman and Rickey Henderson should've almost never lost the MVP in their primes.

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic
17. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 20:19 killer_roach

Rattlehead wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 19:58:
Lot's of haters here, all less successful.

You'd think he somehow wronged all of these people personally...

...yes, Gears of War is a least-common-denominator cash grab, but it's a successful cash grab that a lot of people (although, clearly, few here) seem to enjoy, and Cliff seemed to enjoy making it.

In the grand scheme of things, that's all you can really hope for. Best of luck to him in any future projects, haters be damned.

News Comments > Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter
32. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 19:57 killer_roach

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 19:29:
But isn't this Romero's 3rd or 4th company since Ion Storm? The guy was given a TOWER, and a blank check and while Anachronax was interesting (from the demno), Daikatana was a failure and the only saving grace from it was Deus Ex (which wasn't even his).

I remember one of the companies Romero and Hall started after Ion Storm was a mobile game developer that basically tried seeking out partnerships and then dissolved... I'm thinking their rationale for doing a Kickstarter is that they've gotten sick of making games to somebody else's whims.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 2, 2012, 21:25 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 14:53:
Possibly the single most influential judge in academia comes out against copyright law, after previously doing so against patent law.

Yeah, Posner has been pretty good on those sorts of issues. Generally a very well-reasoned individual.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 2, 2012, 20:55 killer_roach

BobBob wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 19:35:
Seems Apple quality and innovation died with Jobs.

But Apple pettiness and dismissiveness continue on.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 2, 2012, 11:32 killer_roach

In terms of Chrome v. Firefox, I take a really warped way of going back and forth between them...

...seeing as I'm a naturally curious type, and a bit of a technological masochist, I run bleeding-edge versions of both (Canary for Chrome, Nightly for Firefox) and switch from one to the other when one has a build that is so exasperating to use that I have to put it aside.

So far, I've been on Chrome for the last two months (the longest streak for either browser I've had so far).

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
8. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 2, 2012, 10:59 killer_roach

Verno wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 09:14:
Fantaz wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 02:11:
The PS Vita is an excellent device! The dual analog sticks feel really nice, and way better than the 3DS controls imo. Maybe it's bad timing? We're in transition mode also so developers may be too busy getting ready for the next generation of consoles.

Sony has a history of shipping excellent devices with no support. The PSP was a disaster outside of Japan and Sony kept flip flopping on whether they were going to bury the platform or support it. The Vita is up against the combined libraries of the DS and 3DS, there's really no comparison. They needed third party support lined up pre-release, not to be wondering where it is now.

Or, at the very least, have actual first-party support... your comment about first-party response to the PSP is basically where they're at now with the Vita.

The hardware is fantastic, but it's getting closer and closer to me biding my time until somebody hacks it so I can load the thing up with emulators (and then probably have an absolute blast with the device).

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind 2 Announced; Free for Owners of Original
7. Re: A Valley Without Wind 2 Announced; Free for Owners of Original Oct 1, 2012, 22:04 killer_roach

Interesting, but it seems more than a bit like a "we're sorry we botched the first game, guys" sort of thing.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 1, 2012, 20:57 killer_roach

nin wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 20:49:
Sony surprised and disappointed by third party support for Vita.

This is what happens when you live in a bubble!

Then again, Sony did reduce the cost of development kits and put a lot of effort into improving their development tools.

It simply came down to developers going "hmm, we can spend $10 million making a Vita game... or we can spend $1 million making a 3DS game, which will likely sell three times better, or $500K making an iOS game that will sell better yet."

The mobile space is quickly becoming a race to the bottom.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
15. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 1, 2012, 05:00 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 01:40:
Not sure if you assumed I was, but just in case - I wasn't talking about you killer_roach. I don't want to mention names because I have the person in question on my ignore list so I consider it bad form to call him out like that. He knows who he is.

Wasn't sure, but I thought I should be clear just in case. (After all, I'm pretty sure I'd remember saying something along those lines.)

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
13. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 1, 2012, 00:45 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 22:45:
I see the world in 3D, which is enough. 2D entertainment is plenty for me. I'm laughing at the crazy predictions our self-proclaimed resident biz expert here on Blues made about how 3D TV-viewing would soon be ubiquitous. Of course, like Michael Pachter, being wrong doesn't serve as much of a deterrent.

Don't recall ever thinking 3D would become ubiquitous... at best, I've thought that 3D-capable TVs might become ubiquitous, but that's simply an analog of the display panels getting higher refresh rates and not demand for the feature.

News Comments > Valve Denies Nexon Rumor
5. Re: Valve Denies Nexon Rumor Sep 28, 2012, 23:32 killer_roach

Beelzebud wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 23:00:
Why ruin a good thing, when everyone seems to be happy where they are.

As I've said before, the fact that Valve has so few employees may make it easier for Gabe to sell. After all, it wouldn't take all that much in order for everyone that works for him to be set for life...

...that being said, I don't think Valve's quite valuable enough yet to command that sort of a price tag (if I were to take a guess, it's possible Gabe could sell if somebody offered something in the $10-12 billion range, which is likely a bit rich unless you're assuming aggressive growth).

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Sep 28, 2012, 23:19 killer_roach

Shok wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 23:04:
hoolaparara wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 23:01:
GOG also have an end of line sale on Perimeter and Soldiers: Heroes of World War II (66% off) which are going to great Codemasters licensing graveyard in the sky on Monday.

Yeah I saw that and it worried me a little. It's like Amazon pulling kindle books you already own from your account. I guess I should back up all my GoG games in case any of them end up being "unlicensed" in the future.

I have one Codemasters game from GOG that already hit EOL... I'm still able to download it to this day. They've actually been really, really good about dealing with Codemasters' inane behavior.

News Comments > Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt
23. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 11:40 killer_roach

Axis wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 11:35:
Windows is getting better and better... for Linux!

Linux's biggest enemy isn't Microsoft - it's Linux.

News Comments > Project Eternity Passes $2M; Adds $2.3M Goal
29. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 27, 2012, 01:14 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 23:52:
You kind of have to take it on good faith that they're actually putting these options (or extra quests etc) in there. Then again, if the community makes three stretch goals each promising an extra race and companion and class, and then in the final game there are a grand total of four companions, races and classes, people are probably going to go "Errr... so your original game only had ONE of each??"

I doubt an experienced dev would try to screw its fanbase like that for a few hundred K.

As for the Mac/Linux ports, quite a few of them do say that "we're making the PC version first, and the ports will come later."

And then there's been a few cases where the developers have missed a stretch goal and then turned around and went "you know, we're going to put this in the game anyway". (The new Carmageddon game had this happen, for instance, but that had more of a feel of a glorified preorder than most.)

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Castle Crashers
3. Re: No sarcasm here... Sep 27, 2012, 00:32 killer_roach

nin wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 23:15:
Yeah, I'll admit $15 is a little high...

But it is a fun game. Might wait until the xmas sale...

I was hoping that it would be $10 with the DLC. If it were, it would've been a grab, despite already having it on the PS3.

Since it wasn't... I'm in the same boat you are, waiting for a sale.

News Comments > Project Eternity Passes $2M; Adds $2.3M Goal
15. Re: Project Eternity Passes $2M; Adds $2.3M Goal Sep 26, 2012, 19:31 killer_roach

Bradley wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 18:00:
A game editor for something with this kind of graphical style would be a real challenge. The maps looks seamlessly "hand drawn" as one large image. Trying to match the art style would be far out of scope for most people using the editor. I'd love it if they found a way to pull it off using some kind of drag and drop gallery of preassembled pieces though. Not going to hold my breath though.

Might not be practical for the average person, but the option could be made available for skilled designers, or at least have tools to create new content within the existing game world, to allow those without a dedicated art team to create their own adventures in the Eternity setting...

1462 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo