Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1355 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
8. Re: Sunday Mobilization Aug 12, 2012, 19:51 killer_roach

Dades wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 17:43:
Cutter wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 16:14:
Why are ebooks so damn expensive? Seriously.

They were cheap until about a year and a half ago when Apple decided to price fix with the publishers (google agency model ebook for more). Now a lot of books I bought for $8-12 are up at $16-20, the ebooks are often more than the hardcovers for fucks sake. All because the publishers are pissed at Amazon for beating them to the market and supposedly devaluing ebooks by selling them at reasonable prices.

One can only hope that this only precipitates the downfall of the major book publishers, who exhibit cartel-like behavior in ways the music and film industries could only dream of.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 12, 2012, 16:52 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 16:17:
Wow, I never realized Linus is such a complete douchebag.

It's not like he attempts to hide it or anything.

News Comments > On Sale
18. Re: On Sale Aug 11, 2012, 23:15 killer_roach

Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 14:40:
PHJF wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 21:38:

It's a mediocre game, but you can get F.E.A.R. 3 from GMG today (Friday) for ~$3 with the coupon and daily sale...

After wasting $50 on FEAR2, $3 is about what I feel comfortable with.
It's peculiar how people will say "I'll wait until it reaches a certain level before I buy X average to bad game". Why buy it at all? Gotta have everything?

Willingness to pay. If you think you'll really enjoy something, it's higher. If you think you might possibly get some enjoyment out of it, but aren't sure, it's lower.

Fantastic how that works.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
21. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 11, 2012, 21:10 killer_roach

Fantaz wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 11:14:
I blame Vita's demise on smart phones.

I'd say the lack of third party support has been the problem, and it's simple.

If you're a developer, you can either spend $5-10 million to develop a new Vita game... or $500K-3M to develop a DS/3DS game. Both games sell for basically the same amount of money, and there's more customers for Nintendo's systems.

It's all about seeking a return on investment. At this point, Sony needs to take more effort in making content themselves for Vita to help bolster the install base, as people are finding themselves naturally hesitant to drop $250 on a system they might want to play 2-3 games on.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
18. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 11, 2012, 05:08 killer_roach

Flatline wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 16:06:
What's weird is that this is the *exact* same thing that happened with the PSP. I bought one cheap years ago, bought like 8 games, and of those, I played... pinball. Like 99% of the gametime on that stupid handheld was pinball.

In that vein, The Pinball Arcade for Vita is awesome (and a better gaming experience than the same game for iOS/Android).

Creston wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 20:26:
A multi-hundred dollar handheld gaming machine with games that cost 40-60 bucks just isn't going to cut it anymore. Times have changed, Sony. Move on.

What game is $60 on Vita? Hell, Uncharted is the only $50 game. And four of the best games on the platform (Sound Shapes, Escape Plan, Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!, and The Pinball Arcade) are dirt cheap for the gameplay they offer ($15 or less).

News Comments > Epic Forms Impossible Studios from Big Huge Ashes
10. Re: Epic Forms Impossible Studios from Big Huge Ashes Aug 9, 2012, 19:43 killer_roach

Then again, considering the development hell they endured with their association with 38 Studios, having something with a quick turnaround might be a good thing for them to get back on their feet.  

News Comments > Free WOOT DLC for Magicka Released
6. Re: Free WOOT DLC for Magicka Released Aug 9, 2012, 17:34 killer_roach

DrEvil wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 16:04:
JohnBirshire wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 15:57:
Is this worth playing? The reviews I saw were in the "D" and "F" range, however it seems to have a cult following.

It's actually fairly fun, but only as a co-op game IMO, which it excels at. I was bored to tears when I play alone.

Wait until the next mega-steam sale on it and then pick it up. It doesn't cost much, but there is quite a lot of DLC available for it.

It's 75% off on Steam today, so now's as good a chance as any.

News Comments > Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles
80. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 9, 2012, 01:39 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 23:09:
Edit: I'm not sure steam allows a credit card to purchase on more than 1 account. I think you'd have to gift them all from 1 central account which would be the wrong thing for a paranoid, because they could find out who you gifted to. Or maybe use gamestop steam gift cards.

PayPal, maybe?

News Comments > THQ Results: InSane Cancelled
41. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 7, 2012, 18:36 killer_roach

Fantaz wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 05:35:
Probably Company of Heroes 2 should keep them alive for a while, unless they fail with that one.

I think it's more likely that CoH2 will be the final nail in their coffin, sadly.

30. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 7, 2012, 04:58 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 04:38:
I'm still pulling for THQ - fantastic company which has produced some fantastic games. I'd much prefer to see incompetent idiot George Broussard go away. STFU George, and keep your irrelevant, valueless opinions to yourself.

Too bad THQ has seemed hellbent on running themselves into the ground the last few years.

15. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 6, 2012, 22:10 killer_roach

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 21:08:
EDIT: Also Blue, I've read in multiple other places that THQ pulled in a $15.4M profit this quarter, not lessened losses. They're actually making money and did so this quarter with no new releases. Catalogue sales only.

That is true - that being said, they've had a few consecutive quarters prior where they had losses greater than the entire market capitalization of the company. (Also wondering how much of that profit was from closing some operations.)

News Comments > Blood Revival Proposed
30. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 5, 2012, 05:11 killer_roach

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 01:57:
Ray Marden wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 00:56:
Descent,
Volition already said that if they got the IP, they would make a new Descent and Freespace in a heartbeat. Well actually I think they said: "They would commit murder, to do it." The drive is there, and so is the fan base.

Yeah, the IP is simply in hell, with hell being spelled I-n-t-e-r-p-l-a-y.

One can only hope that mess finally assumes room temperature so Volition can get their property back for pennies on the dollar.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Death Rally
20. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Death Rally Aug 4, 2012, 23:06 killer_roach

Just got it - although a few tracks are having rendering issues on my laptop (that's my fault - Dell has no interest in releasing Win8 drivers for my laptop GPU), it does what it says on the tin.

(Also got it for $6.99 for some reason, not sure... but when I went to the product page it said that it was 30% off for me. Anybody who owns Alan Wake possibly gets a bonus percentage off, maybe?)

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard
28. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 3, 2012, 23:44 killer_roach

netnerd85 wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 22:07:
Dades wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 00:31:
$20? No thanks.
And for Australians it's $25, they can turn it side ways and jam it right up there for that price. Hope it tears a bit on the way up, I really do.

I realize exchange rates are comparable, but purchasing power of the Australian dollar is still quite low relative to USD. A 25% premium, all things considered, is a net positive for Australians in terms of ability to purchase the content.

(Just playing Devil's Advocate - I'm a firm advocate in the Law of One Price, but don't make it sound like Australians are being unfairly inconvenienced by the difference.)

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard
21. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 3, 2012, 05:15 killer_roach

Viper114 wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 22:04:
Shame about the PS3 version though. As much as I like my PS3 and the games on it, I'm glad I did not get Skyrim for it, or I'd be majorly disappointed with...well, everything.

Gamebryo runs like ass on the PS3. That and Bethesda's coders appear absolutely incompetent in making games for that console. Either way, it seems like the PS3 versions of those games all have their own unique breed of problems.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 3, 2012, 05:11 killer_roach

Alamar wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 00:21:
With the same hardware, Windows 7/OpenGL/L4D2 clocks in at 303.4 fps compared to Windows 7/DirectX/L4D2 at 270.6 fps. In short: OpenGL is faster than DirectX.

So... If I find a game that runs faster on DirectX than OpenGL... Can I write an article saying that 'OpenGL is slower than DirectX'?

-Alamar

So... pretty much any non-Valve, non-id game that has both renderers?

News Comments > Rise of the Triad Revival Announced
43. Re: Rise of the Triad Revival Announced Aug 3, 2012, 05:08 killer_roach

Carcifier wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 19:40:
And don't worry about Shadow Warrior. You can bet your ass you're going to see that sucker again. That's their ace in the hole. They're going to make sure they have the right developer for that one. Maybe when Romero decides to get back in to the PC FPS market.

All somebody has to do is convince Romero that PC gaming is the next big thing again. He's the ADHD-addled child of the gaming community, always chasing after the latest shiny object.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
12. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 29, 2012, 20:08 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 19:45:
killer_roach wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 01:53:
DukeFNukem wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 21:30:
Oops, looks like I hit the nerve of an ObamaCare supporter. Sorry bout that!

I'm a libertarian, actually... just somebody who's in command of the facts.

Roach, please. Libertarians are no more in command of the "facts" than anyone else. You guys skew and spin to fit your agenda same as everyone else. If anything I'd say MOST libertarians are pretty far out of touch from reality.

My command of the facts is my own, not my ideology. You'd be surprised how many times I have to go "I'm not associated with those nutjobs" when politics are involved. Everybody has their lunatics - although I'd posit the libertarian crazies tend to be a bit more... colorful. They've got a lot of experience in letting their freak flag fly.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
9. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 29, 2012, 10:44 killer_roach

DukeFNukem wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 09:48:

I don't dispute the fact that governments have been doing this as you have so stated. It's just that it gives me a more creepy feeling that it's being done given who's in the current administration. Especially after the failed attempts at implementing SOPA and PIPA.

I also think it's a pretty huge stretch to come to the conclusion that anyone who is a little leery of government intentions is wearing a tinfoil hat. But you seemed to miss that one for whatever reason.

Then you may want to reread what you originally posted. If that doesn't come off as conspiratorial to you... you might need to go through some political detox for a bit.

News Comments > Sanctum OS X Plans
9. Re: Sanctum OS X Plans Jul 29, 2012, 09:19 killer_roach

OldTimber wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 05:36:
I thought this used a Unreal engine since it pretty much behaved like one when I picked it up last year during the steam sale. Pretty much was hitting every tower defense game last summer to kill the time and while this was ok, it just wasn't interesting enough for me to reinstall during my winter rebuild.

It is running UE3.

1355 Comments. 68 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo