Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1448 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Sine Mora PC Plans
2. Re: Sine Mora PC Plans Nov 1, 2012, 21:39 killer_roach

Closed Betas wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 20:39:
ugh, console to pc... sorry dont think anyone asked or even heard of this crap... guess it cost em about $10,000 to port.. so yeah, worth the risk if get free advertising from scream. err steam

It's not ringing a bell to me... then again, I usually only have my PS3 online, so it might be just on the 360, and may very well be an XBLIG release. If that's the case, they're practically designed to be cross-platform (although usually not a ringing endorsement of their quality).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 19:57 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 19:16:
I just wonder why is Anonymous even bothering. Zynga is already in a massive death spiral.

Along with most of the rest of the social gaming space, yes.

I've been an observer and occasionally casual admirer of Zynga, seeing them as being a bit of an experiment as far as the economics of gaming were concerned. Nonetheless, I've considered their stock to be pretty overpriced, even today.

Unfortunately, they ultimately decided to go all-in on one business model that really hasn't shown itself to be sustainable. If they don't learn from their mistakes and start trying something different, they'll be put on the ash heap of history, and I certainly won't mourn their loss. Creative destruction in action and all that.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 19:53 killer_roach

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 18:02:
Won't they be for hundreds of years?
You still can't safely be around Chernobyl for any good length of time - even though you can take a tour - you still should wear a suit and the tour is limited in time.

In all fairness, comparing Chernobyl to Fukushima Daiichi would be like comparing the Great Chicago Fire to a backyard barbecue.

But yeah, even still the fish are likely to possess residual radiation levels above what would typically be considered "safe" for many years, possibly decades or centuries.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 16:56 killer_roach

Verno wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 16:04:
That's pretty much where I'm at now too, each sale has maybe one or two things that I want.

Same here. This sale's haul from me is just Hell Yeah!, simply because it looked interesting and, at half off this soon after launch, seemed like a no-brainer.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 15:55 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 15:14:
I don't condone illegal activity, but being targeted by Anon couldn't have happened to a nicer company. I despise Zynga and their tactics, and this new one is just one more rung on the ladder to hell.

I'm rooting for casualties. Hopefully a long, bloody war of attrition between them.

News Comments > Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content
15. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 27, 2012, 23:51 killer_roach

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 27, 2012, 22:09:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 27, 2012, 21:22:
If you can't get past the graphics, it's no wonder you aren't capable of comprehending why Minecraft is so great.
As I stated, I didn't find the gameplay appealing either. If I'm going to play computerised-Lego then I'd like it to look good and do something interesting at the end of it. The point is, Minecraft deliberately went for shitty graphics to make it arty and I'm not into that sort of pretentious, hipster nonsense.

It's not that they went for that graphics style to make it arty - they went with that art style because Notch sucks as an artist. It just happened to catch on, so it turned out to be pretty utilitarian.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 27, 2012, 15:47 killer_roach

I didn't even have to check the link on that last headline to realize it was from The Register...  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
4. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 27, 2012, 14:52 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Oct 27, 2012, 12:45:
All of these "Oh, I forgot my prototype phone at a bar somewhere!" stories are so fucking fabricated. It's just cheap publicity for the company, and they sue the shit out whatever poor schlep finds it, so they get their money out of it too.

Seeing as Google just cancelled their press event for Monday as a result of Hurricane Sandy, this may end up serving as the official launch of the device

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PC Deadlight
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Deadlight Oct 26, 2012, 02:35 killer_roach

Jerykk wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 23:37:
Did MS actually fund the development of Deadlight and Mark of the Ninja or did they just agree to publish them on XBLA? If the latter is true, then it makes sense that the games are appearing on PC so quickly.

I'm pretty sure that it's the latter. (Klei, the developers of Mark of the Ninja, have previously had games published through EA Partners)

News Comments > Distance Kickstarter
28. Re: Distance Kickstarter Oct 26, 2012, 02:32 killer_roach

I really wanted to like Nitronic Rush, but it just had a lot of weird idiosyncrasies with handling and level design. So far, I'm not seeing anything that really changes my mind with this.

The concept is cool, but these guys have issues with implementation.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PC Deadlight
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Deadlight Oct 25, 2012, 22:17 killer_roach

nin wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 21:53:
Interesting...the second game, after Mark of the Ninja, from MS studios that doesn't mention GFMFWL. Times they are a changin?

Hell, I was just going to say "Microsoft-published XBLA games are finally coming to PC?"... seriously, there's been more downloadable titles console-exclusive to the PS3 that have appeared on the PC than there were from the 360, and that's not exactly a vote of confidence (as there aren't many PSN exclusives that aren't from first- or second-party devs).

News Comments > Quoteworthy
1. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 19, 2012, 19:24 killer_roach

He's partially correct.

Consumers WILL pay for crap - but most won't pay for much or for very long.

Regardless, that's not a good model for monetizing social gaming.

Even still, there's a bit of a learning process going on with the social/casual gaming space, so ultimately developers and publishers will have to figure out the particular cost structure of developing a social game are as well as figuring out what people will be willing to pay for (and how much).

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Patch Plans
24. Re: Torchlight 2 Patch Plans Oct 18, 2012, 20:05 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 16:13:
Have you tried looking at the total hours played for those friends of yours? Most of my friends who own it have played it for 30+ hours, often more than 60.

My stats apparently say I've only played TL2 for 9 hours, but I think that's due to Steam having issues reporting time correctly on it (namely, it doesn't when I'm offline, which is frequent).

As far as I can tell by my own informal reckoning, I'm a bit past 30 hours on it, and that's from being heavily distracted by other stuff.

News Comments > Project Eternity Did Pass $4M
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 17, 2012, 23:17 killer_roach

cocoreno wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 23:03:
My innate cynicism has be believing we'll only see a slight improvement in quality of these Kickstarter-funded games as we do from the overall PC market.

I hope I'm proven wrong.

Speaking of which, anyone know when the first project (game) is slated for release?

One of the big early Kickstarter game success stories, FTL, is already out...

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Oct 17, 2012, 16:07 killer_roach

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 11:49:
I bid $100 for IGN!

No need to overpay, sir...

News Comments > Get a Free Origin Game?
67. Re: Get a Free Origin Game? Oct 14, 2012, 16:16 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Oct 14, 2012, 09:27:
I don't have a whole lot of experience with Origin (what little I do have was enough to learn that it utterly sucks balls) but as far as I know with the games on offer here you really only ever need to run Origin once to install and activate the game, then never again. That was how it was when my friend gave me a code for The Old Republic (HORRIBLE game!). Unless they changed it anyway. If it's still true though it really shouldn't be enough to stop you from buying a game that doesn't explicitly require Origin to run.

It will start up the Origin service and have you log in for online games that utilize its features, although you can still play without an Internet connection (as was the case with NFS The Run).

Honestly, the client sucks, but the actual process of playing games through Origin is pretty unobtrusive (not to mention seems to use considerably less system resources than Steam).

40. Re: Get a Free Origin Game? Oct 13, 2012, 21:28 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 19:53:
About the only game I'd be slightly interested in that I don't already own would be Syndicate, and I'm not seeing that on the list. EDIT: Never mind - they are still asking 60 frickin' bucks for Syndicate. Are they high?

Yeah... I got it from GamersGate a while back for $7.50 or $10, I think. Couldn't be bothered at much more than that.

30. Re: Get a Free Origin Game? Oct 13, 2012, 19:24 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 19:10:
Dev wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 18:02:
from SD, the list of games this has been confirmed on:

The only thing on there even worth anything to me is Burnout Paradise, and I was going to get it until I saw online advertising... ugh.

Anyone play Burnout Paradise?

Creston

I've played it extensively... fantastic game. The online advertising stuff is pretty minimal (just a handful of billboards that get updated - most of them are static). Bigger question is how you feel about an open-world racing game.

18. Re: Get a Free Origin Game? Oct 13, 2012, 17:21 killer_roach

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 16:51:
killer_roach wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 16:44:
I was hoping to apply it to the C&C Ultimate Collection, but it doesn't work for that. Oh well. (Not sure what else they have that I'd actually consider worth snagging... maybe FIFA 12?)
I was trying to get Fear3 but it doesn't work for that either. I have 0 interest in Dragon Age, and I've played Bulletstorm on the console already. Kind of annoying game but I might grab that since not much else there is that I do not own already or I am even remotely interested in.

Yeah, that's where I was at - I've been pretty good at snagging sales from various places to have populated my Origin account on the cheap. Most everything left I have precious little interest in, if that.

News Comments > 0x10c Interview; Test Footage
37. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 16:57 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 14:42:
Minecraft didn't grab me; Terraria (the 2D Minecraft ripoff) totally did. I much preferred Terraria because even though it wasn't a graphical powerhouse its graphics were charming in their simplicity and it wasn't ugly.

Hell, you can't even blame it on the blockiness - Voxatron and (a bit further up the food chain) 3D Dot Game Heroes look better despite being the same sort of blockiness. In the case of Minecraft, it was simply a lack of art direction because Notch admits he's not much of an artist (an understatement if ever there was one).

1448 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo