Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1351 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 1, 2012, 20:57 killer_roach

nin wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 20:49:
Sony surprised and disappointed by third party support for Vita.

This is what happens when you live in a bubble!

Then again, Sony did reduce the cost of development kits and put a lot of effort into improving their development tools.

It simply came down to developers going "hmm, we can spend $10 million making a Vita game... or we can spend $1 million making a 3DS game, which will likely sell three times better, or $500K making an iOS game that will sell better yet."

The mobile space is quickly becoming a race to the bottom.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
15. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 1, 2012, 05:00 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 01:40:
Not sure if you assumed I was, but just in case - I wasn't talking about you killer_roach. I don't want to mention names because I have the person in question on my ignore list so I consider it bad form to call him out like that. He knows who he is.

Wasn't sure, but I thought I should be clear just in case. (After all, I'm pretty sure I'd remember saying something along those lines.)

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
13. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 1, 2012, 00:45 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 22:45:
I see the world in 3D, which is enough. 2D entertainment is plenty for me. I'm laughing at the crazy predictions our self-proclaimed resident biz expert here on Blues made about how 3D TV-viewing would soon be ubiquitous. Of course, like Michael Pachter, being wrong doesn't serve as much of a deterrent.

Don't recall ever thinking 3D would become ubiquitous... at best, I've thought that 3D-capable TVs might become ubiquitous, but that's simply an analog of the display panels getting higher refresh rates and not demand for the feature.

News Comments > Valve Denies Nexon Rumor
5. Re: Valve Denies Nexon Rumor Sep 28, 2012, 23:32 killer_roach

Beelzebud wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 23:00:
Why ruin a good thing, when everyone seems to be happy where they are.

As I've said before, the fact that Valve has so few employees may make it easier for Gabe to sell. After all, it wouldn't take all that much in order for everyone that works for him to be set for life...

...that being said, I don't think Valve's quite valuable enough yet to command that sort of a price tag (if I were to take a guess, it's possible Gabe could sell if somebody offered something in the $10-12 billion range, which is likely a bit rich unless you're assuming aggressive growth).

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Sep 28, 2012, 23:19 killer_roach

Shok wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 23:04:
hoolaparara wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 23:01:
GOG also have an end of line sale on Perimeter and Soldiers: Heroes of World War II (66% off) which are going to great Codemasters licensing graveyard in the sky on Monday.

Yeah I saw that and it worried me a little. It's like Amazon pulling kindle books you already own from your account. I guess I should back up all my GoG games in case any of them end up being "unlicensed" in the future.

I have one Codemasters game from GOG that already hit EOL... I'm still able to download it to this day. They've actually been really, really good about dealing with Codemasters' inane behavior.

News Comments > Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt
23. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 11:40 killer_roach

Axis wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 11:35:
Windows is getting better and better... for Linux!

Linux's biggest enemy isn't Microsoft - it's Linux.

News Comments > Project Eternity Passes $2M; Adds $2.3M Goal
29. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 27, 2012, 01:14 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 23:52:
You kind of have to take it on good faith that they're actually putting these options (or extra quests etc) in there. Then again, if the community makes three stretch goals each promising an extra race and companion and class, and then in the final game there are a grand total of four companions, races and classes, people are probably going to go "Errr... so your original game only had ONE of each??"

I doubt an experienced dev would try to screw its fanbase like that for a few hundred K.

As for the Mac/Linux ports, quite a few of them do say that "we're making the PC version first, and the ports will come later."

And then there's been a few cases where the developers have missed a stretch goal and then turned around and went "you know, we're going to put this in the game anyway". (The new Carmageddon game had this happen, for instance, but that had more of a feel of a glorified preorder than most.)

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Castle Crashers
3. Re: No sarcasm here... Sep 27, 2012, 00:32 killer_roach

nin wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 23:15:
Yeah, I'll admit $15 is a little high...

But it is a fun game. Might wait until the xmas sale...

I was hoping that it would be $10 with the DLC. If it were, it would've been a grab, despite already having it on the PS3.

Since it wasn't... I'm in the same boat you are, waiting for a sale.

News Comments > Project Eternity Passes $2M; Adds $2.3M Goal
15. Re: Project Eternity Passes $2M; Adds $2.3M Goal Sep 26, 2012, 19:31 killer_roach

Bradley wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 18:00:
A game editor for something with this kind of graphical style would be a real challenge. The maps looks seamlessly "hand drawn" as one large image. Trying to match the art style would be far out of scope for most people using the editor. I'd love it if they found a way to pull it off using some kind of drag and drop gallery of preassembled pieces though. Not going to hold my breath though.

Might not be practical for the average person, but the option could be made available for skilled designers, or at least have tools to create new content within the existing game world, to allow those without a dedicated art team to create their own adventures in the Eternity setting...

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 26, 2012, 00:20 killer_roach

ViRGE wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 21:53:
PropheT wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 20:05:
They've been doing the day 1 digital thing with Vita already, and it's awesome there. I don't know that I'd use it as much on a console, but the option is sure nice.
Indeed. I'm a bit surprised it has taken Sony so long to get to simultaneous digital downloads on the PS3, but it's good to see they finally got there.

The fact that they've been trying to tread lightly with retailers. At this point, though, after the PSP Go and the Vita, they've likely pissed off the retail sector about as much as they possibly can.

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Perspectives
6. Re: Steam Greenlight Perspectives Sep 24, 2012, 15:27 killer_roach

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 15:14:
netnerd85 wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 14:58:
Elf Shot The Food wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 11:09:
I've voted for one game so far: Pinball Arcade. Too much of the rest looks like shovelware.
You vote for a Pinball game and call the rest shovelware... rrrrright?

Look up some reviews of Pinball Hall of Fame, which Pinball Arcade is a remake of. It's hardly shovelware.

Or, for that matter, they can look up the promo video on Steam Greenlight, which looks quite impressive (in fact, it's even sharper than the PS3 version of the game, which is pretty solid).

News Comments > PopCap Dublin Closed
6. Re: PopCap Dublin Closed Sep 24, 2012, 15:06 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 13:53:
The EA Machine rolls on.

Up next: Bioware Austin.

Creston

Then again, PopCap Dublin isn't a major part of the operations... almost wonder if a lack of productivity or uncertainty over Ireland's corporate tax system came into play there.

Still puzzling, as Dublin usually is a major tech company's primary beachhead into a European presence. At least this is at least relatively defensible as a sound business strategy, especially since it seems like a few of these staffers will likely be relocated to PopCap's Seattle offices.

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Perspectives
3. Re: Steam Greenlight Perspectives Sep 24, 2012, 13:43 killer_roach

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 11:09:
I've voted for one game so far: Pinball Arcade. Too much of the rest looks like shovelware.

Most of it is shovelware.

Voted for The Pinball Arcade as well, along with about a dozen additional games... but most of the others were a case of me having to actually hunt out decent-looking games.

News Comments > Kickstarter Policy Changes
17. Re: Kickstarter Policy Changes Sep 21, 2012, 21:54 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 21:40:
They're not even A titles, nevermind triple A. They bang them off each year with a few months work. Really they're generally nothing more than roster changes and some cosmetic tweaks here and there. And like I said, I worked for EA for 2 years so yeah I think I know from what I speak and yeah I have a right to bash them. And given the disdain with which they treat their staff and customers everyone else has the right to take shots at them too.

Yet you come off sounding like a vindictive person with a grudge rather than the voice of experience.

EA might do a lot of things weird and/or wrong, but to say that their sports titles aren't AAA titles... that's ludicrous. (If they're not A titles, then what are 2K's sports titles? D? F?)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 21, 2012, 19:04 killer_roach

PHJF wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 18:17:
I expect full and comprehensive user reports as to the merits and faults of Borderlands 2 within the coming days. All you preordering guinea pigs are needed to sway such a conservative consumer as myself.

I ended up getting it for $36 from GMG, so I figured that was worth it, then I went out like a stupid person and bought Torchlight 2 as well, and that happens to be occupying my time now.

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle 6
2. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 6 Sep 18, 2012, 22:29 killer_roach

mag wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 22:23:
Has anyone played any of these? Nothing jumps out at me as a must-have.

Torchlight is pretty good, although if you don't have it already it probably isn't as big a deal to you.

SPAZ is surprisingly fun.

Shatter is great if you're a fan of games like Arkanoid, although it's a bit on the easy side for the genre.

Rochard... meh. A bit overly convoluted for a platformer.

Dustforce is okay, but more for the "platform masochist" set.

Haven't played Vessel.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 18, 2012, 00:58 killer_roach

My PS3 is mostly a Blu-Ray player and Netflix client, and then whatever games I get from PSN+.  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
7. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2012, 18:52 killer_roach

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 18:37:
As for"
Do you really want people running around loose that are that easily suggestible?

Well.. I don't see the FBI taking down Apple customers for some reason!

That, right there, is a weapons-grade takedown.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
17. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 16, 2012, 18:51 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 18:43:
You are right, but wouldn't it be grand if it was! I say lets make it a Right, because it benefits the masses and not the few.

Positive rights aren't really rights, as it relies on trust in an outside agent to provide said rights for you. They only go as far as said benevolent agent can (or, more accurately, should) be trusted.

News Comments > Obsidian Kickstarter
62. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 14, 2012, 18:16 killer_roach

Yakubs wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 18:10:
ViRGE wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 17:28:
The thing is though that publishers know how to measure risk and demand. Gamers don't, which is why they'll back just about any stupid idea if it's hyped enough.

It's not quite exploiting gamers, but it's taking advantage of their naivety. A lot can happen between now and when the game ships in 2 years.

Sorry, man, but you don't understand anything about business or economics or you wouldn't say something as ignorant as this.

A little background: publishers are big, even huge corporations, frequently a public company or just a piece of another public company.

When Obsidian, or anyone else, shows up at a publisher meeting with a game idea like this, the publisher doesn't reject it because they don't think it'll make money. They reject games like this because they don't think it'll make ENOUGH money. That's the crucial difference that you're not understanding.

Companies are analyzed based on their return on investment (among other things). There's simply no chance that Obsidian's game is going to sell 5mm+ (audience is too small) and spawn a lucrative franchise (Obsidian wants creative control, and will want to keep the license). Plus, 1.1mm is pocket change for these publishers. Activision Blizzard thinks in terms of BILLIONS, not millions.

So, all this adds up to the following incentive: big publishers want to publish big games. They'd rather fund a game for $50mm that has the chance to earn $250mm PLUS spawn a franchise than a game for $1mm that has the chance to earn $2-3mm, at best. It's simply not an efficient allocation of their funds.

You're half right. You're forgetting about return on investment. The raw numbers are one thing, but a studio that can make a game on a small budget in a limited timeframe and get a good return out of it would likely attract publisher attention.

...the problem for publishers is that there aren't many developers who are proven to work well with low-seven-figure budgets in a 12-18 month cycle, so the publisher sees a fair bit of downside risk, a modest bit of upside risk... and passes.

Unfortunately, it creates a vicious cycle - nobody can do it because nobody's succeeded at it, but nobody's succeeded at it because nobody's tried it.

1351 Comments. 68 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo