Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1465 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Disney Infinity Details, Including Pricing
10. Re: Disney Infinity Details, Including Pricing Jan 17, 2013, 23:23 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 09:51:
Eh. It's a perfect thing for kids, so long as the game itself is good. They eat Skylanders up (and it's supposedly a good game), and people I know with kids keep buying them stupid stuffed animals that plug into the computer. Don't know the name, but I guess kids go nuts collecting them and doing whatever the hell it is when they connect to the computer.

Webkinz, those things are. (I see enough of them sold where I work.)

Seems like Disney is basically just aping Skylanders, although with a ready-made set of iconic characters to choose from.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Time Warner Cable Attacks Netflix's 'Super HD' Play. Jan 17, 2013, 22:07 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 21:14:
Netflix is eating TW's lunch for sure. There's got to be a conflict of interest on TW's part in that they are both infrastructure and content provider. Justice Dept, are you listening?

DoJ and FTC will typically rule that monopolies by themselves aren't necessarily illegal, but it's how they act that could make them subject to sanction.

In the case of Time Warner... they tread a fine line at times. They've probably got an open file at the FTC at this point.

News Comments > Free Tomb Raider Underworld
2. Re: Free Tomb Raider Underworld Jan 14, 2013, 23:50 killer_roach

deqer wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 21:49:
"Square Enix's portal that provides streaming games"

streaming games... cool. i love streaming games... ...

I think he loves streaming his comments as well, as it looks like this one still hasn't fully loaded, from the looks of things

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 14, 2013, 23:20 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 22:06:
OR is going to be like 64 bit gaming, nothing will materialize for it.

And MS' worst mistake? Steve Ballmer, period.

Ballmer's not so much the issue - it's Microsoft's corporate culture that has devolved into tribalism over the past couple of decades. Nothing gets done of any consequence because nobody wants to step on another division's turf. Ballmer's a numbers guy, but he's not a manager of any sense.

Whoever ultimately replaces him will likely start with a bloodletting of most of the mid-upper-level management.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 13, 2013, 19:51 killer_roach

Julio wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 16:12:
No need for 4k as well, I can only imagine how long it would take to download a 4k movie since that's how it seems they're distributing them. I'd also need a rack of hard drives to store all the 4k content. Bluray works well enough.

I skipped 3D, I'll skip Ultra HD.

I think what will put the kibosh on Ultra HD for consumer content is simply the fact that film distributors aren't going to sell to consumers the same resolution of content that they're currently selling to theaters. Even a lot of older stuff is likely pretty much maxed out at 4k (hell, quite a few film transfers of older films are only done in 2k), and they're not likely to get theaters to shell out for 8k projection when they already made them cough up the dough for all this 3D crap.

Basically, the distributors and the theaters would flip out over a flattening of the content quality chain.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 12, 2013, 21:50 killer_roach

Denthor wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 20:53:
Pretty sure HBO is owned or partly owned by Time Warner. That it self is the problem cable companies are holding on to outdated business models as one of their primary form of revenue is generated via cable subs and they don't want to risk any change to that. Instead of giving customers decent options they try to lock them in, where as, in reality they are just driving people to piracy.

Hence why they did the deal with Universal, which is owned by Comcast. Cable company scratching the back of cable company.

Almost wonder if this could merit FTC consideration for cartel formation (and possibly price fixing).

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2013, 19:13 killer_roach

While I think Swartz was basically railroaded by the feds, I'm getting sick of the usual suspects already trying to turn him into some sort of a martyr. He misappropriated MIT's network in such a way that he could have inadvertently become a useful idiot to somebody doing something truly malicious, and probably deserved to spend time behind bars for his sheer stupidity.

That being said, should he have been facing decades in jail and been gagged from even being able to solicit funds for a legal defense? Absolutely not. Dumb is not the same as evil, and the federal prosecutors really botched this.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Razors and Razorblades Jan 12, 2013, 18:07 killer_roach

Fantaz wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 15:52:
Ozmodan wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 10:11:
Yep, clearly one of the better articles on this topic in a while. I completely agree with his thoughts.

Well I don't... hardcore gamers won't buy tablets or play games on their smart phones. We want the next-gen consoles already yesterday!

I think you're horrifically wrong on that - the main thing keeping core gamers away from tablets and mobile devices for gaming is simply a lack of quality gaming experiences on either. If the games come, the gamers will follow.

(I used to think that it was hardware controls that were holding things back - not so much anymore. If anything, core gamers are already starting to move to mobile devices in greater numbers simply because the games are getting better and they're able to do something the consoles and PC can't do anywhere near as well, that being portability.)

News Comments > Dead Space 3 Dev-Team Edition
7. Re: Dead Space 3 Dev-Team Edition Jan 12, 2013, 15:21 killer_roach

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 15:08:
Statue of kinky sex toy, a water bottle and postcards? Are you going on a trip somewhere?

The Data Pad actually looks cool, but the rest of it?

Still have to say my favorite collector's edition item from a game remains the Big Daddy figurine I got from Bioshock... it's decent-sized (about 8" tall), is solidly-built (I mean, has genuine heft to it), and simply looks badass on display. And that was from a $60 collector's edition.

News Comments > Dead Space 3 Dev-Team Edition
5. Re: Dead Space 3 Dev-Team Edition Jan 12, 2013, 14:28 killer_roach

deqer wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 13:51:
This all sounds just stupid. Really.

They did something similar for ME3, but yeah... EA hasn't really ever been good with special editions for games. This one does a better job of checking off the requisite boxes for physical goodies (with some glaring omissions - no soundtrack? no dev diaries? no steelbook case for the game?), but at $160 they completely botched the price (I'd say this is more like a $90-100 bundle, maybe $120 if it's especially limited).

News Comments > Double Fine in THQ Mix
22. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 12, 2013, 13:44 killer_roach

Kajetan wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 04:27:
Creston wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 23:30:
Yeah, they're only asking for information, it's not like they put any offers in or anything. And you're right, they might genuinely be able to pick something up on the cheap.
To my knowledge THQ published the retail versions of Stacking and Costume Quest. May be DF looks into a possibility to buy these distribution rights back.

That is correct, and definitely an excellent theory.

14. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 11, 2013, 23:14 killer_roach

John wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 23:02:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 22:34:
What would you rather have them be working on? Homeworld 3?
I sure would have preferred that! Do they still own the rights to Homeworld?

I'm pretty sure those rights are held by Activision after the folding of Sierra.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 11, 2013, 23:00 killer_roach

InBlack wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 09:24:
Creston wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 18:17:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 16:59:
Creston wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 13:23:
Hahahaa. Yeah, good luck with that, anonymous.

Creston

Actually, they make a good argument. I wonder if EFF or ACLU will take up the cause.

No, they don't. DDoS is not a protest. It's denying access to others, which is illegal. A protest at, say, Walmart is perfectly fine. A protest at Walmart which tries to prevent people from actually entering said Walmart is illegal and will be broken up by the police in a heartbeat.

No judge is going to rule otherwise, and the EFF / ACLU know this full well, which is why they'll never touch this entire thing with a ten foot pole.

Creston

Sooo. Unions are dead in the US now? I mean they cant legally strike anymore? Lets say Walmart employees were to stage that hypothetical protest...Could the police come and beat the shit out of them for refusing to work?? Because wouldnt that be akin to refusing shoppers entry to the store right? If there is no one working at the store isnt that the same thing?

You can't beat them, but they could still, in certain circumstances, be arrested, depending on their employment contracts with Walmart (since Walmart is completely non-unionized, then yes - such demonstrations could be subject to legal action, although would more likely just be resolved privately by means of a mass firing).

12. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 11, 2013, 22:57 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 22:55:
Double Fine has that much spare cash lying around?

Creston

All things considered, they might be able to pick up something with the coins they found in one of the office sofas.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 10, 2013, 17:32 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 16:59:
Creston wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 13:23:
Hahahaa. Yeah, good luck with that, anonymous.

Creston

Actually, they make a good argument. I wonder if EFF or ACLU will take up the cause.

It would be akin to barricading a private business or a highway, both of which are illegal activities. It's hard to classify an act as protected speech when it is designed to cause external costs as a direct result of the actions.

News Comments > Path of Exile Open Beta This Month
25. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 17:30 killer_roach

Jivaro wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 16:55:
So what you are saying is that Curt Schilling should have gotten his loan in New Zealand?

I kid..I kid...

Only mostly (Schilling thought that government would be a stable and predictable partner... he thought wrong.)

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 15:34 killer_roach

Raptor wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 15:28:
The last series of consoles were also computers, only with gamepads and for the past "what feels like forever" they've been really, really slow computers holding back game development to a serious degree thanks to low performance.

Not really, with all three consoles in the last generation being powered by PowerPC variants, and one of them having a practically bizarre method of processing data compared to a PC (not to mention that same system using heterogeneous multiprocessing of CPU data).

Comparing the last generation of consoles to PCs would be like comparing a dune buggy to a Formula One car - they might have similar structure and use some similar-looking parts, but their function and method of operation are wildly different.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Jan 10, 2013, 15:20 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 12:25:
Dave, try listening to what people want instead of telling them what they want and you may actually learn something. And Bioware wonders why its a joke.

From what I've seen of Bioware's forums, it seems as though you'd likely go mad before you got a good idea of what the community wanted (and even then there's the question of whether or not it knows what wants at all, or if it's simply lying to you about what it wants).

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 15:11 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 15:06:
No way could Microsoft manage the sales that make Steam so awesome

There's an understatement. To Microsoft, "sale" is a four-letter word.

Verno wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 14:59:
I didn't mean $60 games were unreasonable or didn't sell, just saying that a high asking price (continually rising with season passes and DLC) combined with a high price of entry might be a stumbling block given how many other expensive gadgets are competing for consumer wallets.

I'd agree - that sort of a pricing mechanic pretty much only works at the very high end of the food chain, and only for certain buyers (as even still most people won't buy any DLC, much less all of it). I think we're starting to see more of a shift toward lower entry price with continuing DLC for quite a few games (including possibly subscriptions) as digital distribution catches on, but even still there's going to be a non-trivial market for standalone titles.

News Comments > PC Gaming Alliance Still Exists
8. Re: PC Gaming Alliance Still Exists Jan 10, 2013, 14:48 killer_roach

Paketep wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 12:27:
I wish Pachter would sign up. That way we wouldn't hear from him either, or at least websites wouldn't publish his bullshit like they don't publish the PCGA's BS. Standards, people!.

Funny that the same thing always coming from the PCGA's mouth is piracy. Yeah, sure, that has always been PC's worst problem. Idiots.

The PCGA would practically beg Pachter to join, as it would mean you'd actually hear about them more than once an eon.

Seriously, if your advocacy group can't even figure out the art of the press release, you're doing it wrong.

1465 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo