Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1453 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 11, 2013, 23:00 killer_roach

InBlack wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 09:24:
Creston wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 18:17:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 16:59:
Creston wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 13:23:
Hahahaa. Yeah, good luck with that, anonymous.

Creston

Actually, they make a good argument. I wonder if EFF or ACLU will take up the cause.

No, they don't. DDoS is not a protest. It's denying access to others, which is illegal. A protest at, say, Walmart is perfectly fine. A protest at Walmart which tries to prevent people from actually entering said Walmart is illegal and will be broken up by the police in a heartbeat.

No judge is going to rule otherwise, and the EFF / ACLU know this full well, which is why they'll never touch this entire thing with a ten foot pole.

Creston

Sooo. Unions are dead in the US now? I mean they cant legally strike anymore? Lets say Walmart employees were to stage that hypothetical protest...Could the police come and beat the shit out of them for refusing to work?? Because wouldnt that be akin to refusing shoppers entry to the store right? If there is no one working at the store isnt that the same thing?

You can't beat them, but they could still, in certain circumstances, be arrested, depending on their employment contracts with Walmart (since Walmart is completely non-unionized, then yes - such demonstrations could be subject to legal action, although would more likely just be resolved privately by means of a mass firing).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Double Fine in THQ Mix
12. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 11, 2013, 22:57 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 22:55:
Double Fine has that much spare cash lying around?

Creston

All things considered, they might be able to pick up something with the coins they found in one of the office sofas.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 10, 2013, 17:32 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 16:59:
Creston wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 13:23:
Hahahaa. Yeah, good luck with that, anonymous.

Creston

Actually, they make a good argument. I wonder if EFF or ACLU will take up the cause.

It would be akin to barricading a private business or a highway, both of which are illegal activities. It's hard to classify an act as protected speech when it is designed to cause external costs as a direct result of the actions.

News Comments > Path of Exile Open Beta This Month
25. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 17:30 killer_roach

Jivaro wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 16:55:
So what you are saying is that Curt Schilling should have gotten his loan in New Zealand?

I kid..I kid...

Only mostly (Schilling thought that government would be a stable and predictable partner... he thought wrong.)

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 15:34 killer_roach

Raptor wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 15:28:
The last series of consoles were also computers, only with gamepads and for the past "what feels like forever" they've been really, really slow computers holding back game development to a serious degree thanks to low performance.

Not really, with all three consoles in the last generation being powered by PowerPC variants, and one of them having a practically bizarre method of processing data compared to a PC (not to mention that same system using heterogeneous multiprocessing of CPU data).

Comparing the last generation of consoles to PCs would be like comparing a dune buggy to a Formula One car - they might have similar structure and use some similar-looking parts, but their function and method of operation are wildly different.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Jan 10, 2013, 15:20 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 12:25:
Dave, try listening to what people want instead of telling them what they want and you may actually learn something. And Bioware wonders why its a joke.

From what I've seen of Bioware's forums, it seems as though you'd likely go mad before you got a good idea of what the community wanted (and even then there's the question of whether or not it knows what wants at all, or if it's simply lying to you about what it wants).

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 15:11 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 15:06:
No way could Microsoft manage the sales that make Steam so awesome

There's an understatement. To Microsoft, "sale" is a four-letter word.

Verno wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 14:59:
I didn't mean $60 games were unreasonable or didn't sell, just saying that a high asking price (continually rising with season passes and DLC) combined with a high price of entry might be a stumbling block given how many other expensive gadgets are competing for consumer wallets.

I'd agree - that sort of a pricing mechanic pretty much only works at the very high end of the food chain, and only for certain buyers (as even still most people won't buy any DLC, much less all of it). I think we're starting to see more of a shift toward lower entry price with continuing DLC for quite a few games (including possibly subscriptions) as digital distribution catches on, but even still there's going to be a non-trivial market for standalone titles.

News Comments > PC Gaming Alliance Still Exists
8. Re: PC Gaming Alliance Still Exists Jan 10, 2013, 14:48 killer_roach

Paketep wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 12:27:
I wish Pachter would sign up. That way we wouldn't hear from him either, or at least websites wouldn't publish his bullshit like they don't publish the PCGA's BS. Standards, people!.

Funny that the same thing always coming from the PCGA's mouth is piracy. Yeah, sure, that has always been PC's worst problem. Idiots.

The PCGA would practically beg Pachter to join, as it would mean you'd actually hear about them more than once an eon.

Seriously, if your advocacy group can't even figure out the art of the press release, you're doing it wrong.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 14:28 killer_roach

Verno wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 14:20:
ASeven wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 12:10:
If the rumored specs are like those ones them then new Xbox will be expensive as fuck.

I'm not sure anyone can get away with a $350+ console anymore, not when games are $60 and half of the average consumers disposable budget to Apple/phone shit. I guess time will tell.

$60 games still seem to sell on the consoles, though, as the major titles seem to show. It's mostly the mobile space that's been shredded (a lot has been made about the high-profile collapse of the Vita, but even the 3DS is sucking a lot of wind with respect to expectations).

As far as the console price, Microsoft and Sony have still been trying to hold up the $300 line for a premium bundle on aging hardware - to the point where both are likely selling their systems at a profit anymore. $400-500 price points for launch hardware will likely be the norm (and I couldn't rule out $600 premium packages), but what will still drive initial adoption will be the launch lineups. If the games are there, people will jump in. If not, they'll be more than content to play the waiting game, as, with the expansion of the digital distribution market on the two major consoles (and a lesser amount on Nintendo's systems as well), there's a lot of games left to tide over uncommitted gamers.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 13:02 killer_roach

ASeven wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 12:10:
If the rumored specs are like those ones them then new Xbox will be expensive as fuck.

Well, depends on the specifics. Seeing as there's only a $40 difference between the slowest (3.1 GHz) and fastest (4 GHz) octa-core AMD CPUs on Newegg, however, it's likely that, even in quantity, Microsoft couldn't get one at any clock much less than $100 per. As for the GPU... well, we don't know what 8000-series proc they're using. Considering it's a console, it could very well be something like an 8570, which wouldn't be too expensive at all.

The HDD and RAM... they're both cheap. Not a huge issue.

Regardless, assuming the rumor of the eight-core CPU is correct (and, if they are even attempting to have backwards compatibility, it would have to be), this is probably a $400-500 product at launch, even with Microsoft taking a loss on the hardware.

News Comments > THQ Sale Update
11. Re: THQ Sale Update Jan 6, 2013, 19:59 killer_roach

nin wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 13:54:
People want to play their games w/o hassle. Is that wrong? Do they need to jump through hoops?

Is it too much to ask that they have an IQ above room temperature?

4. Re: THQ Sale Update Jan 5, 2013, 20:32 killer_roach

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 19:20:
Unless they are going to take the Saints Engine and make a Batman game out of it I really can't think of any reason I'd want WB to but THQ.

Keep in mind, they bought Midway with no real interest in using their tech or IP for ongoing WB/WBIE projects.

There is, simply put, the idea for a rising publisher to pad their portfolio, and THQ would do just that at a fairly attractive price point.

1. Re: THQ Sale Update Jan 5, 2013, 19:01 killer_roach

WBIE is one of the interested parties?

Did I not call that, oh... a few months ago?

*takes bow*

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
16. Re: Sony blocking used game sales Jan 4, 2013, 16:00 killer_roach

PHJF wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 15:43:
Seems like some poor design decisions were made under the hood that the XBOX managed to avoid.

360 games are on DVDs

And beyond that, the Forza games (3 and 4) did more or less require large content installs to the hard drive...

Also, the mandatory installs weren't as frequent as Microsoft apologists would like to believe.

(Additionally, a move to even a 4x BD-ROM drive would mean that they'd be able to load content faster than any DVD-ROM drive could ever hope to, making the arguments largely moot. Honestly a bit surprised Sony didn't move to this in later PS3 models, and then have the installs be subject to a version check.)

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2013, 23:19 killer_roach

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 23:16:
I think we all know the answer to that.

Of course.

Female aliens, duh.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 3, 2013, 22:49 killer_roach

Twitter isn't even close to an $11 billion company. Considering their business model, I'd have to think any sort of a market cap over $500 million would be purely wishful thinking (and even a half-billion valuation would be assuming, more than likely, that it gets bought out by somebody else).  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Sony blocking used game sales Jan 3, 2013, 22:45 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 22:05:
nin wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 21:36:
And what happens when your hardware dies?

C'mon, that never happens!

There's some thought that such a system could tie to a PSN ID, which would allow a safety valve (and allow you to take a game to a friend's house). Also, an RFID-based solution should, depending on implementation, be reasonably easy to adapt for rental copies.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 3, 2013, 20:07 killer_roach

Panickd wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 13:49:
Why the fuck would anyone with any other option use HughesNet? Satellite internet is just awful. I can understand why someone who lives out in the boonies where there isn't anything else offered might think to pay for their piss-poor service but even low rent cable and DSL offerings are way better (and cheaper).

That being said, there are a lot of places that are that far in the boonies. (Seriously, some of these more rural areas in Kentucky neither my girlfriend or I, on Verizon and T-Mobile respectively, can get cell service at all, much less data.)

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2012, 22:03 killer_roach

Axis wrote on Dec 29, 2012, 20:39:
Game manufacturers already label minimum requirements.

In all seriousness, though, a lot of system requirements are especially confusing to people who aren't familiar with PC hardware.

Case in point:

"The game says it requires a GeForce GTX 260... I have a GeForce 520, how come it runs like garbage?"

To a lot of people, this would be a perfectly acceptable question (even if pretty much everyone here would be laughing quietly, and hysterically, to themselves).

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 28, 2012, 16:28 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 15:59:
Since we are talking Smart TV, we are talking living room. Remember the big thing... "Winning the living room"? Wow that was a total fizzle for companies like MS and Sony. They thought a game box would win them the living room and make them swim in dollars. Both companies stock go nowhere, one's seemingly hanging on by a thread. You take those two consoles today and break them from their companies, they couldn't stand on their own. Winning the living room was a lie. This isn't the 50's.

Although their stocks have been going nowhere for opposite reasons. For Microsoft, their Xbox team is modestly profitable, but requires huge amounts of revenue for their meager margins (and possibly being a drain on the Windows team due to Microsoft de-emphasizing the PC as a gaming platform). For Sony, their gaming division isn't particularly profitable, but it might be one of the more profitable parts of the company at the moment, seeing as their TV and camera businesses are in the toilet at present with little (if any) hope for recovery, and the film and music businesses being about as much of a money suck as the Xbox is for Microsoft.

1453 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo