Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1420 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Dishonored Patched
1. Re: Dishonored Patched Dec 4, 2012, 21:46 killer_roach

Even if the last one is console-only, it cracks me up.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Dec 1, 2012, 16:03 killer_roach

Seems like Sprint's business strategy boils down to "if it pisses off Deutsche Telekom, do it".

They're pretty much guaranteeing that there'll be a duopoly in American cell phone service (and a monopoly in each major technology class) before too long.

News Comments > Deus Ex Texture Mod
13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2012, 23:44 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 15:58:
And if I've got a copy of the game on Steam, I never bother keeping the CDs around.

I think the only game I've consciously done that with in recent years was Far Cry, and that's only because I happen to have it both on Steam and GOG.

News Comments > Deus Ex Texture Mod
8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2012, 14:01 killer_roach

Rigs wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:18:
I never understood how some of you guys can lose track of your games?! Mine are alphabetized in a nice and neat double row down 5 shelves of a white bookcase and I know where the game cd/dvd's, the manuals and even the boxes are at any one time. I thought that was true for almost all gamers...I see I was incorrect... %)

Some of us move. Unless you're OCD beyond belief, a move tends to throw typical organizational skills out the window. Several moves in that span of time... something's almost guaranteed to be lost in the shuffle somewhere.

News Comments > On Sale
28. Re: On Sale Nov 23, 2012, 18:21 killer_roach

A51Abductee wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 14:32:
jimnms wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 12:54:
Green Man Gaming has some 50% to 75% off sales too with a 25% off coupon. Good deals like this are too hard to let go.

Thanks for the heads up. I just picked up Dishonored for $22.50 USD using that coupon [Steam download key]. The GMG site is crawling right now though... was afraid for a moment that my order wouldn't even go through. Maybe it means that they're getting plenty of sales.

GMG posted on Facebook that they've been experiencing double the traffic their site has ever dealt with, so yeah, it sounds like they're sufficiently inundated.

News Comments > CARGASM HD Released
3. Re: CARGASM HD Released Nov 23, 2012, 16:20 killer_roach

RailWizard wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 16:05:
This looks like a gfx card tech demo from the mid 90s....

It's originally a mobile phone game...

...so yeah, pretty much.

News Comments > Thanksgiving Consolidation
4. Re: Thanksgiving Consolidation Nov 23, 2012, 01:39 killer_roach

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 13:50:
Not that Sony isn't hurting right now but Fitch was also one of the credit agencies that rated a whole ton of sub prime mortgages as AAA, as well as many of the investment banks peddling in them, practically up until the day they collapsed.

In all fairness, all three major ratings firms - Fitch, Standard & Poor's, and Moody's - did that. Somebody I know in finance said that if you put the drop of housing prices into the risk models they had for mortgage-backed securities, the situation would have looked as dire as it was. The problem was that nobody thought that a prolonged, nationwide drop in housing prices was possible. Surprise...!

BB- is a pretty rough credit rating, but not unusual anymore. That being said, most companies I can think of that have similar credit ratings are smaller firms than that (although not necessarily tiny, either). In comparison, the government of Spain is rated BBB-, and Italy is BBB, both slightly better, and they're the laughingstocks of the EU at present (granted, there's always a bit of a bias toward sovereign debt - look at the credit ratings of the US and Japan if you don't believe me).

The big issue for Sony is the fact that they are so highly leveraged as a result of their ownership of manufacturing facilities for their flagging television business. It's understandable that a ratings firm would be skittish about that, and they have good reason to be (short of, of course, Sony selling those divisions, but I doubt there'd be many, if any, takers for them due to the liabilities involved).

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2012, 20:20 killer_roach

Silicon Avatar wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 20:09:
If it's Guy Fieri - a dude who is a chef, has his own TV show, owns several restaurants, and promotes charities VS. some dude who eats food and talks about it on a newspaper I'm gonna have to go with Guy.

I just can't figure out why, of all places, he'd open a restaurant in NYC. That's a city that seems to hate food...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2012, 18:26 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 18:17:
Limited by current gen? Oh, you're talking about the DecrepitStation 3 and OldAssHardwareBox 360?

Funny how your game wouldn't have been limited by "current gen" if you'd just developed it for the PC, huh?

Creston

Then it would've likely been limited by support costs and the art budget.

No matter the platform, there's always limits. Even on the day new hardware comes out.

News Comments > OS X CARGASM HD Released
1. Re: OS X CARGASM HD Released Nov 16, 2012, 17:01 killer_roach

Mac App Store keeps releasing games that are languishing on Valve Greenlight.

It's getting comical when Valve is being shown up by, of all people, Apple in terms of creating an accessible marketplace.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 16, 2012, 14:40 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 11:11:
I can sort of see Amazon owing France taxes, but GOOGLE? France has really lost its fucking mind. Not that it had much of one to begin with.

Creston

There's been a bit of a movement in EU nations lately trying to get more tax revenue out of multinational corporations who tend to channel their money through more tax-friendly countries in Europe (like the Netherlands or Switzerland) to minimize their tax exposure. Starbucks in particular has been singled out, but most other major companies have done similar stuff. (In all reality, these companies do pay very little in taxes to European governments, ultimately channeling their money to low-tax jurisdictions or back to the parent company, where it becomes subject to US taxes - in the case of Starbucks, they pay almost no tax on their European operations, but they a higher effective tax rate Stateside than most.)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 14, 2012, 18:49 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 17:29:
Did I say Bush? I said the GOP. History bears that out. Want a good economy and low unemployment you choose the Democrats. Want debt, war and bad times yo choose the GOP. Try reading some ACTUAL history sometime and you'd learn that.

So the debt under Obama is somehow the GOP's fault? Please.

That being said, overall on economics issues I'd say there really have been few Presidential administrations that "got" both micro- and macroeconomic issues, and, in the post-WWII era, only one from each party (JFK for the Dems, Reagan for the GOP). Each party has also had two guys good on one but not the other (Carter was great on micro issues to the point where he was possibly the most relentless deregulatory President we've ever had, Clinton was good on macro issues, Bush Jr. was good on micro issues, and Eisenhower was good on macro issues), and the rest... well, they were at best mediocre on both.

Overall, the GOP platform has typically (but not always) been better from an economic standpoint, but the fact that pretty much every President has gone and ignored their party's platform except when convenient means that we can't really use governing philosophy as a proxy for actual political performance.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
9. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 11, 2012, 20:17 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 20:14:
Wow, time can really play tricks on the memory. I never would have guessed off the top of my head that there has been 6 years between each generation.

The PS1 only came out in Japan in 1994 - it was released in the US in 1995 (after the SNES was released in 1990 and 1991 in those regions), and the PS3 was often considered to be released a year late in the current generation, as the Wii and Xbox 360 both came out in 2005.

News Comments > NVIDIA Profits
3. Re: NVIDIA Profits Nov 11, 2012, 18:11 killer_roach

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 17:15:
Yeah but how much money does Nvidia make from smartphone/tablet chips now, and for upcoming 'next-gen' consoles?

The consumer products division, which is buoyed by Tegra, amounted to about 20% of their revenue this past quarter ($243.9m of $1.19b). As far as I'm aware, Nvidia has no design wins for the next generation of consoles (all of them are using ATI GPUs allegedly), and Ouya, which uses Tegra 3, is just another smartphone design win (effectively).

Nvidia did not break down profits by division, as they are not required to, but their recent earnings guidance makes me think that margins there are considerably less than in the rest of their business.

News Comments > THQ in Default on Credit Line
11. Re: THQ in Defaults on Credit Line Nov 11, 2012, 16:19 killer_roach

NewMaxx wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 16:15:
killer_roach wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 15:12:
Your argument only holds water in the situation where THQ had a clearly outlined path back to profitability, which they don't. This default isn't a temporary setback - it's a symptom of further underlying issues. Without even a current accounts surplus on the horizon (much less an overall profit), it's only a matter of time before the sharks start to circle (if they haven't already).

Interesting. I wasn't aware I had made an argument. Not that I don't get accused of that every time I (or anybody else) posts here...

Actually, what I stated was that they are effectively one step away from bankruptcy. Everybody involved (THQ, Wells Fargo) are well aware of that - as I said, it did not come as a surprise. Therefore my statement that companies default all the time only suggests that news of such a default is absolutely meaningless with regard to whether or not they are going bankrupt, rather it is the particular company's circumstances that give the honest appraisal. Everybody is making the best of a bad situation by stringing it out, and if you want me to fall back to my original post's analogy, like the Byzantine Empire.

The crux of what you said earlier was that situations like this happen all the time. Technically, that is true.

However, in situations like this the likelihood of the defaulting party surviving in any meaningful sense are, given the fundamentals, practically nil.

THQ, as it currently stands, is not "effectively one step away from bankruptcy". With a default of this size, they are, for all intents and purposes, bankrupt in any meaningful sense apart from the formal filing.

7. Re: THQ in Defaults on Credit Line Nov 11, 2012, 15:48 killer_roach

ASeven wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 15:23:
This pretty much. At the rate events are happening I'm even starting to question if THQ won't publicly declare bankruptcy before the end of the year.

That credit line they defaulted on was $50 million... their market cap is just under $10 million, and only because the stock's actually come up a bit off its lows (at which point, around mid-week, they were about a $7.5 million company - or about 1/550th the market cap of EA, or 1/1500th(!) the size of Activision Blizzard).

Short of trying to sell IP and/or studios, I don't see how they dig themselves out of this hole, especially considering their recently announced delays. And even that likely won't be enough to do anything beyond get them past the short run.

3. Re: THQ in Defaults on Credit Line Nov 11, 2012, 15:12 killer_roach

NewMaxx wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 14:47:
Companies default all the time. Sometimes it's news, sometimes it's not, but of course they have to report it to the stock exchange. I don't think this was an unexpected event in any regard. There will be a restructuring/renegotiation of debt, and the commission of future milestones, at which point there might be another renegotiation, and so on.

The modern world of finance has its roots a thousand years back (feudal kings did this all the time), but to spare the public a history lesson, essentially imagine THQ as a nation-state who borrows money from a rich trade state so that it can field an army with the intent to expand its domain. It fails to meet this goal and is thus unable to pay as anticipated, but still is able to pay something and still seeks to eventually achieve its goals and avoid the alternative of bankruptcy.

Except THQ is hemorrhaging cash - they're losing money greater than their market cap on a quarterly basis, with no real pathway back to profitability. With a default comes likely downgrades to their credit rating as creditors worry about their ability to satisfy current debt obligations (if their debt instruments aren't C-rated already, they likely will be now), which likely will constitute increased costs to their debt service, further hastening their debt spiral.

Your argument only holds water in the situation where THQ had a clearly outlined path back to profitability, which they don't. This default isn't a temporary setback - it's a symptom of further underlying issues. Without even a current accounts surplus on the horizon (much less an overall profit), it's only a matter of time before the sharks start to circle (if they haven't already).

News Comments > BioShock Free on GameFly
15. Re: BioShock Free on GameFly Nov 9, 2012, 19:03 killer_roach

Ant wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 11:15:
Why do we have to give them our billing data when signing up? No thanks, GameFly!

They still had my billing info from the Direct2Drive days... the card no longer exists, but it still went through. Huge success.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Nov 9, 2012, 18:28 killer_roach

We'll see on AT&T's plans for LTE expansion - where I'm at right now they only have spotty EDGE coverage, same as T-Mobile (while Verizon has LTE here, just so you know this isn't a desolate wasteland).  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 9, 2012, 18:07 killer_roach

Nucas wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 16:54:
while i admire a lot of the design aesthetics of samsung, i've heard the sony HX929 called the best looking TV available.

sony is working to bring their tv products back in line with their brand reputation after cheapening up during the recession in a bid to try to keep sales going.

still doing better than sharp, at least.

Haven't seen that particular Sony set yet, but if it's as good as the hype, I'll be happy to eat my words.

But saying they're doing better than Sharp is simply saying they're not doomed quite yet.

1420 Comments. 71 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo