Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1355 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Project Eternity Did Pass $4M
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 17, 2012, 23:17 killer_roach

cocoreno wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 23:03:
My innate cynicism has be believing we'll only see a slight improvement in quality of these Kickstarter-funded games as we do from the overall PC market.

I hope I'm proven wrong.

Speaking of which, anyone know when the first project (game) is slated for release?

One of the big early Kickstarter game success stories, FTL, is already out...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Oct 17, 2012, 16:07 killer_roach

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 11:49:
I bid $100 for IGN!

No need to overpay, sir...

News Comments > Get a Free Origin Game?
67. Re: Get a Free Origin Game? Oct 14, 2012, 16:16 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Oct 14, 2012, 09:27:
I don't have a whole lot of experience with Origin (what little I do have was enough to learn that it utterly sucks balls) but as far as I know with the games on offer here you really only ever need to run Origin once to install and activate the game, then never again. That was how it was when my friend gave me a code for The Old Republic (HORRIBLE game!). Unless they changed it anyway. If it's still true though it really shouldn't be enough to stop you from buying a game that doesn't explicitly require Origin to run.

It will start up the Origin service and have you log in for online games that utilize its features, although you can still play without an Internet connection (as was the case with NFS The Run).

Honestly, the client sucks, but the actual process of playing games through Origin is pretty unobtrusive (not to mention seems to use considerably less system resources than Steam).

40. Re: Get a Free Origin Game? Oct 13, 2012, 21:28 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 19:53:
About the only game I'd be slightly interested in that I don't already own would be Syndicate, and I'm not seeing that on the list. EDIT: Never mind - they are still asking 60 frickin' bucks for Syndicate. Are they high?

Yeah... I got it from GamersGate a while back for $7.50 or $10, I think. Couldn't be bothered at much more than that.

30. Re: Get a Free Origin Game? Oct 13, 2012, 19:24 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 19:10:
Dev wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 18:02:
from SD, the list of games this has been confirmed on:

The only thing on there even worth anything to me is Burnout Paradise, and I was going to get it until I saw online advertising... ugh.

Anyone play Burnout Paradise?

Creston

I've played it extensively... fantastic game. The online advertising stuff is pretty minimal (just a handful of billboards that get updated - most of them are static). Bigger question is how you feel about an open-world racing game.

18. Re: Get a Free Origin Game? Oct 13, 2012, 17:21 killer_roach

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 16:51:
killer_roach wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 16:44:
I was hoping to apply it to the C&C Ultimate Collection, but it doesn't work for that. Oh well. (Not sure what else they have that I'd actually consider worth snagging... maybe FIFA 12?)
I was trying to get Fear3 but it doesn't work for that either. I have 0 interest in Dragon Age, and I've played Bulletstorm on the console already. Kind of annoying game but I might grab that since not much else there is that I do not own already or I am even remotely interested in.

Yeah, that's where I was at - I've been pretty good at snagging sales from various places to have populated my Origin account on the cheap. Most everything left I have precious little interest in, if that.

News Comments > 0x10c Interview; Test Footage
37. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 16:57 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 14:42:
Minecraft didn't grab me; Terraria (the 2D Minecraft ripoff) totally did. I much preferred Terraria because even though it wasn't a graphical powerhouse its graphics were charming in their simplicity and it wasn't ugly.

Hell, you can't even blame it on the blockiness - Voxatron and (a bit further up the food chain) 3D Dot Game Heroes look better despite being the same sort of blockiness. In the case of Minecraft, it was simply a lack of art direction because Notch admits he's not much of an artist (an understatement if ever there was one).

15. Re: Get a Free Origin Game? Oct 13, 2012, 16:44 killer_roach

I was hoping to apply it to the C&C Ultimate Collection, but it doesn't work for that. Oh well. (Not sure what else they have that I'd actually consider worth snagging... maybe FIFA 12?)  

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2012, 19:52 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 19:36:
Well it mattered enough for Dude to write an article about it, hence the discussion. Rarity doesn't generally preclude discussion of whether it's a sound practice or not.

To posit a counterfactual, it might be it merited an article not because it was happening frequently, but that people were incensed about it enough to make such an assessment worthwhile to publish (not to mention, in having a somewhat controversial opinion, it generates clicks).

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2012, 18:46 killer_roach

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 18:04:
I think we have the same opportunity with Disc-Locked DLC, and I as well will think twice before supporting any game that blatantly ships with completed content locked on the disc.

You assume the direction is toward more of it, rather than less, something that I might argue is erroneous.

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2012, 17:01 killer_roach

For me, it's a bit of a mixed bag, and I admit I'm more on the side of the publishers than most here. I find it particularly scuzzy that developers hide what's more or less vital parts of the game behind a paywall, but other things (like cosmetic items) I'm not as concerned about.

What the major problem is is the fact that games, like most other forms of media, fairly closely follow the monopolistic competition model for pricing. If a game simply has more content, they can't get away with charging more than their competition - if you need a certain average sales price to break even or get a market rate of return that's higher than the going MSRP, you're going to have to go the DLC route.

Ultimately, you'd think the publishers would figure out a cleaner way of making the break so as not to offend the consumer, but a disorganized rush to complete the game might result in such a mistake as Capcom has now done on multiple occasions. (I know they blame Microsoft's DLC rules on the 360 for why they do it, but they could always tell MS to go pound sand and whine for them to break their own rules - wouldn't be the first time a major publisher has gotten Microsoft to change policies as they go.)

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 12, 2012, 16:21 killer_roach

nin wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 10:26:
PS3 smashes through 5m barrier in the UK.

Wait, they're just now hitting 5 million? That can't be right, can it?

Keep in mind the UK is about 20% of the population of the US, and the gaming market is about 10-15% the size.

News Comments > No Terraforming in SimCity
19. Re: No Terraforming in SimCity Oct 12, 2012, 00:07 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 23:28:
Steam isn't "always online." I just moved, and set up the computer first thing so the kids could play Steam games while we unpacked. We didn't have internet for three days, but the kids were able to play all their Steam games nonetheless.

Really depends on the game. When I last reinstalled Windows on my desktop, I found that, after downloading my collection again (>2TB), some games had to at least be run online once before I could use them in offline mode. But that's not so much something on Steam as it is on the developers (mostly developers that use GFWL, to be honest).

News Comments > Divinity Anthology Collector's Edition & Pick Your Price Promo
11. Re: Divinity Anthology Collector's Edition & Pick Your Price Promo Oct 11, 2012, 04:40 killer_roach

Keith wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 14:57:
I checked the deal out. At first blush, seems like a good deal for a "pay your own price" schtick. Then I saw that you have to be one of the top contributors (e.g. pay the most) to get a shot at getting D2: Developer's Cut. Thought it might be worth a shot since you can fly as a dragon. The "maybe" aspect of it sucks though.

So long as you meet or beat the price they quote you, you get the game into your collection.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 11, 2012, 03:46 killer_roach

ViRGE wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 03:00:
That has to be the dumbest article I've read all month. That's pure and simple link bait. Moving from a LiveCD to a LiveDVD is not "shutting out old PCs". DVD drives have been standard for over 10 years now.

But what am I going to do with my AMD K5 desktop? </sarcasm>

News Comments > More Project Eternity Stretch Goals
14. Re: More Project Eternity Stretch Goals Oct 6, 2012, 20:37 killer_roach

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 18:39:
Jumped on this yesterday and got the last 20.00 spot.

Every time a $20 backer ups their pledge it frees up another spot at that level. I've seen it "sell out" four or five times at least, and I'm only checking on a daily or so basis.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2012, 17:15 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 11:52:
As for the triple crown not getting the attention it deserves, it's because quite a lot of fans are (grudgingly) starting to realize that batting average and RsBI are fairly pointless statistics. They're fun to look at in a glance, but people (even the mongrels at the BBWAA) are slowly coming to accept that there are much better statistics that tell you much more about how good and how valuable a player really is.

That said, it is still a pretty tremendous achievement, and I applaud it.

Creston

Then again, Mike Trout (the main rival to Cabrera for the MVP race) largely has a high WAR value due to blowing out the numbers on stolen bases, a stat that almost nobody specializes in anymore. As a result, even a modest stolen base total will cause a significant raise in WAR (as the average player at their position will have very few). For somebody like Trout, who ran away with the stolen base lead...

It results in interesting numbers, but saying Trout should be MVP based on WAR inflated by stolen bases means that Vince Coleman and Rickey Henderson should've almost never lost the MVP in their primes.

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic
17. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 20:19 killer_roach

Rattlehead wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 19:58:
Lot's of haters here, all less successful.

You'd think he somehow wronged all of these people personally...

...yes, Gears of War is a least-common-denominator cash grab, but it's a successful cash grab that a lot of people (although, clearly, few here) seem to enjoy, and Cliff seemed to enjoy making it.

In the grand scheme of things, that's all you can really hope for. Best of luck to him in any future projects, haters be damned.

News Comments > Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter
32. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 19:57 killer_roach

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 19:29:
But isn't this Romero's 3rd or 4th company since Ion Storm? The guy was given a TOWER, and a blank check and while Anachronax was interesting (from the demno), Daikatana was a failure and the only saving grace from it was Deus Ex (which wasn't even his).

I remember one of the companies Romero and Hall started after Ion Storm was a mobile game developer that basically tried seeking out partnerships and then dissolved... I'm thinking their rationale for doing a Kickstarter is that they've gotten sick of making games to somebody else's whims.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 2, 2012, 21:25 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 14:53:
Possibly the single most influential judge in academia comes out against copyright law, after previously doing so against patent law.

Yeah, Posner has been pretty good on those sorts of issues. Generally a very well-reasoned individual.

1355 Comments. 68 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo