Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1462 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play
11. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 25, 2013, 22:06 killer_roach

PHJF wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 21:38:
Most console games don't cross-play with PC because they're designed with the 360 in mind

The announcement was "Diablo III coming to PS3/PS4".

Note why I said "most games". There's nothing stopping them from adding cross-platform play if they're not having to mess with the 360. They simply choose not to.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 20:57 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 20:39:
I've speculated on pricing here a ton, and I'm 100% certain the publishers are investigating it.

I'd agree for the most part, speaking as an MA in Applied Econ with some research focus in price theory.

If anything, current prices for the "blockbuster" "tentpole" titles like a new Halo, Diablo, CoD, or the like are lower than the market could support. Possibly significantly so. However, there's enough alternatives to make being the first mover a bit gutsy. CoD is about the only one with the draw to try something like that and get away with it right now.

The problem for publishers right now is in terms of pricing their product at retail. Online, they can pretty much name their price and change it at will. Brick and mortar retailers will likely try to get their own pound of flesh out of such short-term sales, asking for things like refunding the difference on outstanding inventory or a window of exclusivity on a sale, things that you don't see as issues online presently. As a result, a publisher is likely forced to stick with frequent price drops throughout a game's life cycle, using time as a mechanism of price discrimination, but will have the benefit of being able to make such changes on a somewhat random basis such that consumers don't get caught in a habit of "waiting out the next sale".

I think going forward we're more likely to see moves toward maintaining (or possibly lowering) launch MSRP for many titles and then trying to upsell on various packages with preorders and launch copies (at the front end) and a steady stream of DLC (at the back end, especially so with games that have a following either in their multiplayer or in their single-player storylines).

However, the "frequent random sales" strategy is one that you'll likely see adopted as another way of coaxing out marginal buyers as more and more game sales move online.

News Comments > No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play
2. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 25, 2013, 20:26 killer_roach

PHJF wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 20:13:
Heaven knows Acti-Blizzard don't have the kind of resources Valve was able to muster in making Portal 2 function across platforms...

Most console games don't cross-play with PC because they're designed with the 360 in mind, and Microsoft doesn't let anyone in and out of their walled garden (without paying for the privilege, and that's one way only). No such restriction on the PS3.

If anything, this might be a case where PC-console cross-platform play got scuttled from the PC end. After all, Blizzard doesn't want anything getting into their precious...

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
18. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 22:10 killer_roach

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 21:24
uestion:
People already kill themselves by using a cell phone in places they shouldn't (driving, walking, etc), how much worse is it going to be when they are wearing them? [/quote:

All depends on how they're used, I would think. I could see some cases where such technology could reduce serious accidents (putting a notification in your field of view would be safer than having somebody hunt down their phone to see what's going on), but the easily distracted could have considerable problems.

In all seriousness, while I'm not likely to be an early adopter of this technology (I'm a believer in Ray Kurzweil's saying of "technology is only expensive when it doesn't work"), but it's something that I could see myself interested in a few years down the road.

9. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 15:24 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 15:17:
Google glasses - $1500 to show the world what a pathetic douchebag you are.

If they worked with existing prescription glasses, $1500 would be less than the cost of two pairs of glasses for me. It'd be like I'd get the tech for $700 (yes, my glasses cost that much - shut up).

Then again, that's probably not how that works.

Also, the "under $1500" number appears only in reference to developer models, which tend to sell for considerably more than consumer-targeted devices.

News Comments > Sword of the Stars: The Pit and Demo Released
11. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit and Demo Released Feb 23, 2013, 13:14 killer_roach

Wolfox wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 10:57:
Ok, so I bought it. And you know what? I'm having a lot of fun with it, far more than with any other recent roguelike (I'm looking at you, Dredmor). It can get quite tense when you get beyond floor 10ish. Combat is fun, and there seems to be a lot of opportunities for crafting and such (though I'm playing with a marine with very weak decipher skills, which means I got no usable recipes yet, so no crafting for me).

All in all, I'm really glad I bought it. Really fun so far.

Played the demo, I enjoyed it, not sure I $10 enjoyed it, though. Might think about it regardless.

1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 12:31 killer_roach

The "free" Nexus 4 is basically the regular price from T-Mobile - you can either pay full price for the phone and get a lower monthly plan, or take $300 off of it and pay $15 extra a month on your plan for the next two years.

Basically just a yawn from me.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
11. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 17, 2013, 20:15 killer_roach

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 18:17:
That FB story makes me sick, and what makes me even more mad (in a time when the President is making TRILLION dollar increases to our debt and increasing taxes on the working man) is this: An article linked on that page citing the worst tax dogers in Corporate America....

Your turn Obama.....your turn....

You have to understand why Facebook paid zero income tax. It's all legal, and a protection they won't have after a few years.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
10. Re: Saturday Consolidation Feb 16, 2013, 17:57 killer_roach

bhcompy wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 17:55:
The PS3 was also recently named one of the best Blu-ray players by CNET, another plus for the system.

Yea, sorry, bro, but CNET has all the credibility of Fox News and MSNBC these days.

If anything, that's more damning of the standalone players than it is lauding the PS3. (Seriously, a lot of them are absolute garbage.)

8. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 16, 2013, 15:44 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 15:42:
That's not backwards compatibility, that's called "Having a work-around."

10 bucks says you'll still have to PAY to play your "Backwards compatible" games.

Creston

It'll probably require a PSN+ subscription. Already have this, so it's a moot point, but still...

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
7. Re: Saturday Consolidation Feb 16, 2013, 15:42 killer_roach

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 14:23:
I don't think the PS4 announcement is going to drop the PS3 price at all.

Their analysis doesn't support their headline. Basically what the article says is that systems drop a lot in price from launch to the launch of their successor.

Considering the PS3 started at $500/600, I wouldn't be surprised to see it at $199/249 at the PS4's launch (consistent with what they're saying in the article), but the headline is wrong. The PS4 launch announcement will have (likely) no effect on price, and it sure as hell won't be 64%.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Feb 12, 2013, 21:36 killer_roach

ASeven wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 20:24:
Kickstarter fatigue? More like your terrible behaviour throughout the ks campaign, Chris. You managed to drive many away.

Beyond that, the money's there for projects that people want.

Wildman... not so much.

I've enjoyed a few of GPG's games in the past, but Wildman gave me a feeling of "run away, and quickly".

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
3. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 10, 2013, 21:23 killer_roach

I'd comment on iOS 6.1 and overheating/battery drain... but I have a 4th-gen iPod Touch... that thing overheats if you so much as look at it wrong anyway.  

News Comments > Morning Patches
15. Re: Morning Patches Feb 7, 2013, 18:31 killer_roach

J wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 18:05:
Token remark about VTMB patches still being released. Gasp incorporated

Interestingly enough, the unofficial patch team has existed now for longer than Troika Games did (which shuttered after just under seven years of existence).

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 4, 2013, 21:48 killer_roach

dj LiTh wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 20:24:
capable does not mean adequate.

"Sure, we've got DX11 performance - after all, the Radeon 5450 is DirectX 11..."

News Comments > Super Sunday Metaverse
14. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 3, 2013, 22:22 killer_roach

Ant wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 21:31:
I still use XP Pro. SP3. Bite me! :p

Rather not. I don't know where you've been.

News Comments > Newell on Self-Publishing on Steam
15. Re: Newell on Self-Publishing on Steam Feb 2, 2013, 14:22 killer_roach

NewMaxx wrote on Feb 2, 2013, 13:40:
killer_roach wrote on Feb 2, 2013, 12:06:
I think the lesson learned from Greenlight is that the community are a bunch of idiots, and they're becoming a rather arbitrary way to determine what gets on the service and what doesn't (note that, while some Greenlit games end up near the top of the sales charts, others, once released, are greeted with a commercial thud).

This is true, which is why it should be contrasted with kickstarters. With the latter you have projects in various (but often early) stages of production, asking for money upfront or simply in supposed good faith. Nevertheless, each has its own individual value it has to hit to get funded. Greenlight, on the other hand, is every man for itself with simple popularity fueling the winners in a system of ranking. While arguable the community is a "bunch of idiots" in both cases, it's in a different way, so perhaps the solution is something in-between. Keep in mind also that systems evolve so the near-anarchy we see in early stages of development will be tempered by informal standards over time.

With Greenlight the community has no skin in the game. That's the fundamental difference right there. (I'd argue that quality would be improved if you were required to pay per vote on Greenlight, with the money used able to be credited toward Greenlit games, but that might be a bridge too far for people.)

News Comments > Amnesia Fortnight 2012 Released
5. Re: Amnesia Fortnight 2012 Released Feb 2, 2013, 13:01 killer_roach

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 2, 2013, 12:38:
Ok, now I'm starting to get pissed.

'Give us money to make game X', that I get. What I don't get is how all this other stuff is being made and with what money. From the trailer they split up the entire company into small groups to make separate OTHER games for 2 weeks.

They do this every year.

13. Re: Newell on Self-Publishing on Steam Feb 2, 2013, 12:06 killer_roach

Krizzen wrote on Feb 2, 2013, 11:28:
"and yes you have to worry about viruses and malware and stuff like that"

I thought that was the whole point of Greenlight, to put the "burden of proof" on the community. Atleast a little exclusivity never hurts.

I think the lesson learned from Greenlight is that the community are a bunch of idiots, and they're becoming a rather arbitrary way to determine what gets on the service and what doesn't (note that, while some Greenlit games end up near the top of the sales charts, others, once released, are greeted with a commercial thud).

3. Re: Newell on Self-Publishing on Steam Feb 1, 2013, 22:29 killer_roach

Sepharo wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 21:28:
Use torrents to distribute it and 3rd party payment portals and you don't even need Valve right? Open source digital market.

Except for product visibility. Steam draws eyeballs, and the more people looking over your game the better.

1462 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo