Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1445 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Amnesia Fortnight 2012 Released
5. Re: Amnesia Fortnight 2012 Released Feb 2, 2013, 13:01 killer_roach

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 2, 2013, 12:38:
Ok, now I'm starting to get pissed.

'Give us money to make game X', that I get. What I don't get is how all this other stuff is being made and with what money. From the trailer they split up the entire company into small groups to make separate OTHER games for 2 weeks.

They do this every year.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Newell on Self-Publishing on Steam
13. Re: Newell on Self-Publishing on Steam Feb 2, 2013, 12:06 killer_roach

Krizzen wrote on Feb 2, 2013, 11:28:
"and yes you have to worry about viruses and malware and stuff like that"

I thought that was the whole point of Greenlight, to put the "burden of proof" on the community. Atleast a little exclusivity never hurts.

I think the lesson learned from Greenlight is that the community are a bunch of idiots, and they're becoming a rather arbitrary way to determine what gets on the service and what doesn't (note that, while some Greenlit games end up near the top of the sales charts, others, once released, are greeted with a commercial thud).

News Comments > Newell on Self-Publishing on Steam
3. Re: Newell on Self-Publishing on Steam Feb 1, 2013, 22:29 killer_roach

Sepharo wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 21:28:
Use torrents to distribute it and 3rd party payment portals and you don't even need Valve right? Open source digital market.

Except for product visibility. Steam draws eyeballs, and the more people looking over your game the better.

News Comments > THQ Postmortem
33. Re: THQ Postmortem Feb 1, 2013, 14:16 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 14:09:
But video games aren't particularly high upside. They're something very difficult to predict performance and they're costly. Most VCs aren't playing with the kind of money that multiple AAA game development would require.

Plus, the typical endgame for a VC is selling a company or taking it public.

What would a VC do? Would they finance a game? I don't see them liking that, as that's a loan not VC. They'd prefer to buy a studio. Again, as others said, new boss same as the first. VCs typically sell to PE firms, who wipe out old management and put in their own.

Typically. Although such investment in a smaller studio could be taken in the form of equity, at which point, after a success, they could sell the studio to an interested party (as they now have a track record). Additionally, you could sell revenue streams and IP just as easily as you could a company (although video games, unlike movies, have a much, much shorter tail - making it a proposition where you'd be looking to shop the IP, and possibly throw in a couple of the studio's creative directors to help manage it).

There are VC firms that do specialize in high-risk lending, but the terms are usually about as onerous as the above stated "you surrender control of the company and we'll help you get this out there".

31. Re: THQ Postmortem Feb 1, 2013, 14:03 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 13:52:
Why would a venture capitalist give money to a video game company when it can go to a safer investment?

Typically those are the sorts of investments VC will go after, although the best ones also correlate downside risk with upside risk. If there's a good chance they could lose everything backing a game... they want the potential there to make them ludicrously wealthy. High alpha means high expected returns to capital in the VC world.

Your point about risk distribution is also a good one, and it's something where the large publishers truly excel. Not only do they have multiple baskets to put their eggs in, they're all different types of baskets - you have some core titles in various genres, you have a few licensed titles, you have some toes dipped in the digital distribution waters, you have some mobile games, some long-tail plays, some budget titles, maybe some F2P titles, some merchandising of your properties, perhaps a couple of funded indies in the hopes of finding the next big thing (in the best cases, ones that could just about fund your next AAA tentpole title)... it's all a game of hedges. If one goes down, another (hopefully) goes up.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2013, 12:50 killer_roach

Redmask wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 12:37:
netnerd85 wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 10:34:
I call BS on that first article.

I got it in my email last night. I had signed up for a few of the XNA mailing lists, it's definitely real.

As far as I can tell, they're going to mainstream a lot of the underlying XNA and D3D stuff into the Windows/Xbox SDKs. XNA as a development suite, however, seems pretty much dead, which seems baffling considering the fact that they have the muscle needed to make it a usable multiplatform development kit, but that seems to not be their area of interest (tribalism of Microsoft's internal teams at work?).

28. Re: THQ Postmortem Feb 1, 2013, 12:46 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 12:41:
Beamer wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 12:01:
Creston wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 11:31:
Publishers add nothing to the gaming industry.

Creston

Except for, you know, the capital required to make a game like GTA, Saints Row, etc.

Had there been no publishers, that capital would still be there. Either it would have come from previous sales (like it does now), or from venture capitalists investing in the gaming industry (like it does now). Or do you think that RICIETOEOETELELLOo coughs it up out of his own pocket or something?

The article mentions that THQ's publishing part was THREE-HUNDRED people. That's 300 salaries and benefits etc that every single game published by THQ has to cover. Imagine if that hadn't been there. The reason EA never makes any money (other than the fact that it's fudging the books) is because there's about 1800 parasites hanging like remoraz off every game they make.

Creston

Basically, publishers are venture capitalists with sector-specific marketing and logistics expertise. In the event of the failure of an EA or an Activision, I think that leaves enough of a void for one of the previously-mentioned mid-size players to try to step up, or for an actual venture capital firm to acquire the industry-specific talent to run some stuff from their end.

In short, meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

16. Re: THQ Postmortem Feb 1, 2013, 01:45 killer_roach

bhcompy wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 00:35:
bad, late, or otherwise inferior titles like Homefront,

Homefront wasn't bad or inferior. Maybe a little late, but otherwise a pretty good game. Problem is that every publisher wants home runs, not good games. If it ain't selling like Call of Duty, might as well not make it I guess

Basically Homefront was a "me too" entry in the genre - and you can't really go up against the CoDs and Halos of the world without something that comes off as being truly unique. (If anything, I almost wonder if it would've been a better product if they fleshed out the single-player a bit more, even if it meant axing the multi.)

11. Re: THQ Postmortem Jan 31, 2013, 22:56 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 22:51:
killer_roach wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 22:03:
I think EA hate is largely irrational (since I have no love lost for any of the major publishers), but the fact remains that there's a lot of mismanaged firms in the industry that continue soldiering on.
I disagree. There's a LOT of stuff EA has done in the past, and continues to do, that makes them one of the worst. I think a lot of the EA hate is based on personal experience with them.

Activision and Ubisoft say hi. The fact that everybody goes after EA seems to excuse these companies' egregious behavior.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Retrovirus
2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Retrovirus Jan 31, 2013, 22:41 killer_roach

Seeing the video for that... not sure I'll grab it quite yet, but I do like the look of it.  

6. Re: THQ Postmortem Jan 31, 2013, 22:03 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 21:36:
Beamer wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 21:22:
Yeah, I was saying that whenever people cheered THQ burning.
I get EA hate. I myself have an extreme dislike for them.

But I still don't get the THQ hate.

I think EA hate is largely irrational (since I have no love lost for any of the major publishers), but the fact remains that there's a lot of mismanaged firms in the industry that continue soldiering on.

At least THQ, mismanagement aside, put out a handful of decent games and largely didn't insult the intelligence of their customers.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Forza Motorsport 4 February Jalopnik Car Pack Revealed and Trailer. Jan 31, 2013, 21:58 killer_roach

SirKnight wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 20:50:
They really need to add the 2014 Corvette Stingray to Forza 4, like GT5 did. I'd also like to see it in Forza Horizons.

But why do that when you can just reskin already-present cars and sell them for full price?

News Comments > Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft
17. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 17:08 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 14:51:
InBlack wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 09:47:
Zowie Bowie...no wonder he changed his name. I really dig and respect his dad's music, but giving your kid a name like that is stupid as fuck...

Since his dad called himself "Ziggy Stardust" for awhile, I think Zowie was glad he got called Zowie, rather than "SnortBubbles" or something.

Creston

Even still, he changed his name to use his dad's birth surname. Obviously he wasn't that bothered by the association with his father.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 26, 2013, 23:11 killer_roach

PHJF wrote on Jan 26, 2013, 21:13:
When my 8800 Ultra died a couple of years ago I put in a gtx 460 and saw a very nice improvement.

Exact same move I made, except I'm *still* rockin my q6600. Been sitting on 4GB of PC6400 for as many years as the processor. Patiently waiting for some "next next gen" games to force an upgrade...

Yeah, I had a Q6600 that I was just fine on, but my brother wanted a newer desktop, I saw the Sandy Bridge CPUs, and told him I'd sell him my old hardware so I could get a 2600K.

Now two years in on that, and I doubt I'll be upgrading the CPU in my desktop anytime soon (might think about a GPU upgrade in a year or two, but even that's not much of a priority at the moment).

News Comments > THQ Breakup Details Confirmed
29. Re: THQ Breakup Details Confirmed Jan 24, 2013, 17:52 killer_roach

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 16:44:
killer_roach wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 15:42:
You really think they'd move the franchise away from CA?

How about a collaboration on Total Warhammer 40k? CA handles the scope and scale of the campaign map and all those political and economic interactions, while Relic figures out a way to make real-time battles with thousands of troops much less tedious and boring than it often turns out to be.

That sounds absolutely bats*** insane.

Not surprisingly, I love it.

News Comments > THQ Breakup Details Confirmed
25. Re: THQ Breakup Details Confirmed Jan 24, 2013, 15:42 killer_roach

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 15:38:
Sega getting Relic is awesome, looking at Total War. I hope they buy the Homeworld IP when the legacy IPs go on sale.

You really think they'd move the franchise away from CA?

Agreed on Sega buying Homeworld, though, although I'm still surprised Sega ended up being the big winner out of this, considering they're typically thought of as struggling pretty mightily themselves.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
38. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 22, 2013, 22:04 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 16:22:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 01:49:
Given the dominance such a merger would produce, I suspect in the US anyway, that it would be blocked by the FTC.

I wonder if the FTC would care. It's not as if MS and Sony are Telcoms or Cable providers.

Creston

A joint venture would be reasonably unlikely for the FTC to intervene, although they would be likely to examine it to some extent. Keep in mind that Nintendo is still a non-trivial entity in the market, and such a joint venture would be done more out of cost consolidation to both parties (to minimize risk exposure) than to shut competitors out of the market.

Typically speaking, dominant market positions aren't by themselves grounds for concern, but rather what is done with them. In the case of FTC inquiry, Sony and MS would both point out Nintendo's presence in the market as well as the fact that the major publishers have been working more and more in the mobile space, and that the console gaming market is simply a sub-sector of the videogame market as a whole.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
34. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 21, 2013, 23:35 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 22:13:
nin wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 20:23:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 20:13:
Thoguht for sure that xbox article would require a Patcher tag - but it isn't a Patcher article. Very surprising.

I agree - it certainly sounded like one.

Haha - I immediately assumed it was a Pachter projection myself. I can maybe see MS eventually wanting to stop losing money on Xbox, but being bought by Sony? Ridiculous.

If I were to put on my market analyst hat (probably no more accurate than Pachter, but I'm on record with a few hits as of late), I'd think Apple might be a buyer, but their recent market trajectory may make them a bit skittish. As a result, I would think that Microsoft's most likely play to minimize their downside exposure from the Xbox brand would be to enter into a joint venture with Sony, which would give both companies the benefit of considerable amounts of developer relationships and a nearly unassailable market position.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 21, 2013, 22:27 killer_roach

DangerDog wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 19:58:
Does that somehow confirm the sales for all these games were in the single digits?

It might be based on global sales, and Euro Truck Simulator 2 might well appeal to the large Steam community in Russia.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2013, 17:32 killer_roach

The "Eight Signs Your Cat Is Actually A Dog" video basically describes my cat, other than the panting (he doesn't do that, but everything else... although his growl is absolutely pathetic).  

1445 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo