Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1421 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Dungeon Hearts
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dungeon Hearts Mar 29, 2013, 12:04 killer_roach

Really an interesting little game, albeit with some somewhat clunky controls and a rather marked spike in difficulty once you fight The Dark One (first time I played I didn't take any damage before getting wiped by that fight).  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 28, 2013, 21:17 killer_roach

Axis wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 20:33:
99% AAA titles are shit, only innovation is coming from indies.

If 99% of AAA titles are shit, then 99.9% of indies are shit. The signal-to-noise ratio there is astonishingly low. Some gems, true... but tons upon tons of utter garbage. Even a lot of the gems are pretty rough around the edges (in ways that, if they were AAA titles, they'd be savaged for, and rightly so).

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
15. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Mar 24, 2013, 21:48 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Mar 24, 2013, 17:24:
Thunderwalker wrote on Mar 24, 2013, 16:50:
http://www.volokh.com/2013/01/14/aaron-swartz-charges/

Prof. Kerr's conclusion:

My conclusion, at least based on what we know so far, is that the legal charges against Swartz were pretty much legit. Three of them are pretty strong; one is plausible but we would need to know more facts to be sure. ... I think that what Swartz was alleged to have done fits pretty well with the charges that were brought.

I don't doubt that's true. My contention is the fact that he could be in hock for 30 years for what he did is THE problem. The punishment is way, way out of line with the crime committed. I seem to remember something on "Cruel and unusual punishment" in our highest law somewhere.

The fact that the punishment was out of whack at the top end of the guidelines doesn't change the fact that he did the crimes, though.

Apparently the Department of Justice tried to offer Swartz a plea deal where he'd spend a single year in prison, but he refused it, intending to prove his innocence in court. While I can't fault his thinking, I think he had no idea what he was getting himself into by inviting a federal court case, which likely was what drove him to the breaking point.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 20, 2013, 23:42 killer_roach

Apparently Weird Worlds won't work on any of my Android devices. Then again, $5 seems more than a bit steep...  

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Mar 20, 2013, 00:14 killer_roach

jimnms wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 23:23:
Weird Worlds has been on Steam for a while. I picked it up on an indie deals back in December.

Likewise, but I don't think it was available for sale by itself until now.

News Comments > WoW Free Character Moves
6. Re: WoW Free Character Moves Mar 14, 2013, 17:29 killer_roach

PropheT wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 15:11:
On a side note, aren't those all PvP servers? And a couple of the low pop ones used to be extremely high population.

I'm pretty sure Stormrage is a PvE server, that's the one my brother plays on.

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 14, 2013, 15:58 killer_roach

Trashy wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 15:39:
How is that better specs than a Wii-U?

8-cores doesn't mean better performance.. Not to mention it's paired with a lowend powervr gpu.

wii-u system specs

That's not a low-end PowerVR GPU - it's the same one in the third-generation iPad (SGX544MP3).

I'd still argue the WiiU has superior specs, but for the mobile space the 544MP3 (or the 544MP4 in the fourth-gen iPad and the Vita) is no slouch.

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 13, 2013, 23:01 killer_roach

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 08:08:
That's the thing I do not understand with these super high end cell phones. Why do people need an 8 core cpu into a cell phone? Do mobile apps even take advantage of such a thing?
If they do take advantage then the battery will be sucked dry in an hour. If you got a phone like this to game on it on a 10 hour flight or train ride then I hope you got 4-5 extra batteries with it.
It is just silly. Not to mention the size of these phone now, it is like carrying a tablet in your pocket.
I guess they sell well otherwise companies wouldn't pump out all these giant phones.

It is funny how a few years ago all the phone companies were trying to make smaller and smaller phones, now we are going the opposite direction. The battery life is another thing that doesn't get addressed with any of the new cell phone iterations, all manufacturers care about is screen size and raw cpu power.

Turns out the SGSIV will use the Snapdragon 600 in the US (1.9 GHz quad-core, Adreno 320), but international variants will use the Exynos 5450 Octa (main cores at 2GHz, PowerVR SGX544MP3). Additionally, the phone will use a 3100mAh battery, which is absolutely massive (the upcoming HTC One, which also uses a Snapdragon 600, has a 2300mAh battery).

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 12, 2013, 19:07 killer_roach

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 09:48:
I wonder how the battery life will be like on that S4. 1080p screen 8 core CPU, wow, do people still use their phones to make calls?

In a lot of cases the Cortex A15 cores will be disabled, so the phone will idle simply on the four A7 cores. Odds are those won't use much of anything for power.

That being said, if you plan on playing a lot of games on your phone, that will likely be brutal on battery life.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
13. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 12, 2013, 00:20 killer_roach

If there is any way of the PS4 eclipsing modern PCs at present, much less in years to come, it's either from a) a redefinition of what "most PCs" means (which most here seem to be focusing on), or b) the possibility that there are considerably fewer obstacles to achieving maximum performance out of the hardware in the PS4 than there are under Windows.

Considering the amount that I've heard PS4 development utilizes GPU compute and its surprisingly generous system-wide memory bandwidth, it might be a little from Column A, a little from Column B.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: re: GoW controversy Mar 11, 2013, 00:18 killer_roach

Jivaro wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 23:09:
While the reviewer is mistaken as to what exactly the trophy is given for, and I personally agree that the name of the trophy is questionable, at the end of the day the God Of War games are mature rated entertainment. To make a fuss about a trophy called "Bros before Hos" would be similar to complaining about similar jokes on Saturday Night Live....where the punch line is often rich in sarcasm and irony. Can people misunderstand the point of the reference? Sure. Getting yourself all twisted about something like that when you just got finished kicking a woman's face in rings as hollow as getting bent about a SNL race joke when you just got finished laughing at it.

Generally speaking, I don't find political correctness to be nearly as overdone as many people do, but this complaint by this particular reviewer comes off as a bit too "White Knight" and very thin on credibility. From the beginning of the series, which the reviewer claims to love, women have been treated as either sex objects or punching bags. To cry "misogyny" over a trophy name at the end of game number 5 is just ridiculous and sensationalist.

Then again, games journalism has become about as neutered a profession as possibly exists, with the possible exception of Gloria Allred's paralegals.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 7, 2013, 14:17 killer_roach

CrimsonPaw wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 14:12:
Still not understanding why everyone's freaking out that the final hardware was not shown. If memory serves me right, the original XBox360 demo (with the dancing robot) was run from servers hidden from view. Even the PS2's look was not revealed until a few months before release.

Simple - people need some reason to irrationally hate things.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 7, 2013, 13:34 killer_roach

nin wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 13:28:
I was going to say the same, but keep in mind that's shipped, not sold.

But even 16 million shipped would be impressive...

It's doable, but heavily dependent on what they can put out there in terms of first-party game development. Third-party stuff sells the biggest units overall, but most of those (due to community lock-in) are basically defaulting to Microsoft at this point. They need to create the buzz, even if those internal titles don't sell that well (which, news flash - they rarely do).

EDIT: That last sentence works pretty well to sum up Microsoft's canning of Gore Verbinski's game as well. It created buzz for Kinect, was costing them more and more money to develop... it served its purpose.

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 2013, 13:59.

News Comments > Crayon Chronicles Kickstarter
2. Re: Crayon Chronicles Kickstarter Mar 6, 2013, 23:14 killer_roach

dj LiTh wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 22:01:
5k to help GPG employee's? Nah...thats like giving money to a crack addict for 'food'.

I thought the same thing... and then saw that it's a tiny game where you can back the project and get the game for $1.

...honestly, I've done far dumber things with far more money than that.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Mar 3, 2013, 22:59 killer_roach

I'd argue that, on balance, developers don't hate gamers. Furthermore, they're actually giving the vast majority of them what they want.

...and giving it to them good and hard, but I digress.

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 1, 2013, 18:21 killer_roach

Julio wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 18:04:
100 GB+ downloads, that's not going to work with current available internet speeds. Not to mention data caps/throttling. I'll have that movie rental in about a week of downloading.

I'm thinking the guy's numbers are a bit off. A Blu-Ray-quality film presently is about 20-40GB, and that typically includes multiple lossless audio streams, so probably closer to 13-30GB for the video stream itself. Assuming no ability to further compress a larger image over a smaller one (which is itself dubious - there were considerable advances from DVD to Blu-Ray in this regard), you'd be looking at four times the data going from 1080p to 4K - so now you'd be at 52-120GB for the video, and then tack on another 2-5GB for a single lossless DTS-MA 7.1 audio stream.

That being said, current 1080p digital downloads of movies aren't anywhere near that quality - they're about 4-10GB, including an audio stream (although usually not high-resolution lossless like the disc would be). Going from that, you'd be talking more like 3-9GB for the video stream, quadrupling to 12-36GB for the increase in resolution, and then adding 1-2GB for a 7.1 DTS stream to get to 13-38GB (which is quite large, but not completely unfeasible).

30. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 1, 2013, 16:50 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 15:47:
I meant the data in this particular research, not their overall data in general. (though their monthly sales statistics and comparisons of console vs pc sales are meaningless as well, because they never take Steam into account.)

Bookscan data on book sales doesn't include Amazon, warehouse stores, or book clubs, and it's still considered the benchmark on that industry.

Most any purchase data, unless compiled directly from suppliers or a comprehensive set of vendors, is going to be fundamentally flawed. The question is how you adjust for those issues. (While individuals can't necessarily tease out the details for themselves out of NPD data due to their exclusion of digital distribution, they're not who matter in terms of strategic decision-making - that's the publishers, who can interpolate pretty closely what other titles in the market are doing based on the NPD data and interpolations of their competitors' sales digitally based off of knowing exactly how many copies they sold of their own titles.)

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 1, 2013, 15:19 killer_roach

Remember, any poll is only as valid as the assumptions that go into it. Often you can even adjust seemingly flawed poll data if you think the assumptions are different to come to your own conclusion.

That being said, NPD pretty well protects the meat of their survey data behind a massive paywall, so it's not like they'd just, say, let me tinker around with the numbers (although I have applied to work for them in the past).

News Comments > More Games Get the Steam Greenlight
12. Re: More Games Get the Steam Greenlight Feb 26, 2013, 19:11 killer_roach

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 15:51:
Garbage iOS tower defense game gets Greenlit, Pinball Arcade and Incredipede sit in limbo. Such a shame.

Yeah... I don't see The Pinball Arcade getting greenlit anytime soon. Let's face it, the children are running the show on the Greenlight selections.

News Comments > No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play
11. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 25, 2013, 22:06 killer_roach

PHJF wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 21:38:
Most console games don't cross-play with PC because they're designed with the 360 in mind

The announcement was "Diablo III coming to PS3/PS4".

Note why I said "most games". There's nothing stopping them from adding cross-platform play if they're not having to mess with the 360. They simply choose not to.

1421 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo