Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1471 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Respawn's Debut an MS Console Exclusive?
3. Re: Respawn's Debut an MS Console Exclusive? Apr 29, 2013, 20:29 killer_roach

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 20:13:
Halo is still a strong franchise, same with Forza.

Oddly enough, just about the only IPs that Microsoft owns and develops on the Xbox.

Odds are this new project will compete with Ryse to see which becomes the new Xbox's Gears Of War.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
16. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 28, 2013, 18:53 killer_roach

mag wrote on Apr 28, 2013, 00:47:
killer_roach wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 15:09:
Android outdated? Blame yourself for not rooting it and running CyanogenMod, MIUI, or AOSP.

rooting != ability to install CM and its ilk. My phone is rooted. Bootloader's still locked. No crack for it. No updates.

I take it you're running a pretty obscure device? Most anything that I've seen has been able to unlock the bootloader one way or another.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 27, 2013, 22:10 killer_roach

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 21:33:
Yeah with this sort of criteria it would be harder to find nine brands that DON'T qualify.

Going back to the three I singled out, I could come up with competitors that would better fit the category than the ones listed.

Apple ---> HTC
(Yes, Apple's damaged from their peak, but it's still a valuable brand. HTC, despite making some good products, is likely done.)

Hyundai ---> Fisker
(Hmm, exaggerated MPG and one sizable recall versus completely made-up range and reliability numbers, a couple of major issues with their one model, and requiring massive taxpayer subsidies to stay afloat? No contest.)

JP Morgan ---> Bank of America
("London Whale" aside, JP Morgan is still considered one of the better-run "too big to fail" banks. BoA, on the other hand, is a mess, with neither federal regulators nor consumers liking them much.)

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 27, 2013, 20:01 killer_roach

Even for those that think such major press events are necessary, the timing of E3 gives it very little utility by default. With the major release season being in Q4, by the time the publishers really want to ramp up media hype, E3 has come and gone, and they're instead going all-out at Gamescom and TGS. Really a US-based gaming press event has to go into that mid-late Q3 window to have maximum promotional impact, or go even earlier than it is at present (perhaps late Q1/early Q2) to start teasing stuff as well as to promote those Q2 releases that are already out by the time the other major events come around.  

7. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 27, 2013, 18:00 killer_roach

dubfanatic wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 17:23:
killer_roach wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 15:09:
Android outdated? Blame yourself for not rooting it and running CyanogenMod, MIUI, or AOSP.

I wanted to root my Android phone, but the tool I need to root it only works in 32-bit Windows XP. Can you blame me for not having an obsolete OS laying around?

May need to look elsewhere. While I'm not going to publicly discuss rooting methods on this forum, I'm not aware of any phone that cannot be rooted from a modern OS.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Reddit Apr 27, 2013, 15:35 killer_roach

In all fairness, Reddit's "vigilantism" has killed fewer innocent people than, say, SWAT raids...  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 27, 2013, 15:13 killer_roach

The reasoning behind calling Apple, Hyundai, and J.P. Morgan "damaged brands" is flimsy at best... somebody really had to make some stretches to include them with the rest of the list (additionally, BlackBerry seems to at least be somewhat on the way up - something that few on that list can claim).  

1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 27, 2013, 15:09 killer_roach

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Apr 26, 2013, 23:09 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 22:27:
nin wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 21:58:
So the Lunar bundle is all episodes of BTTF, right? Not just the first one? If so, heck of a deal.
Thats the way that "Back to the Future: The Game" is described on steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/31290
If it was an individual episode, I'd expect it would have that episode name.

Bought the bundle, it has all five episodes, available as Steam key, Desura key, and as a DRM-free download.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 26, 2013, 23:07 killer_roach

Julio wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 20:46:
Seems like an attempt to shift the blame to publishers for always on DRM. I won't be buying any console games that require always on DRM.

In my opinion, we'll see how serious that stance is when we see the first always-on game published by Microsoft. Believe me, if the technology is there, that day is coming.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 25, 2013, 20:12 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 19:39:
Damn, I didn't realize the yen had tanked so badly.

Mostly thanks to official action taken by the Bank of Japan. They tend to step in when the yen gets too strong for too long, especially when most of their largest economic entities are so heavily export-driven.

Unfortunately, it may cost them in the long run, as yields on Japanese treasuries could be under pressure with the decline in the yen's value (although no guarantee there - Japan, while having a staggering amount of sovereign debt, holds the overwhelming majority of it domestically).

News Comments > Evening Interviews
11. Re: Evening Interviews Apr 25, 2013, 18:14 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 13:04:
NKD wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 22:39:
I don't really see people going "I've gotten slightly raped for $15 once in a while doing these Kickstarter type projects, might as well go back to getting brutally violated for $60 from the mainstream publishers."

You, sir, have a way with words.

Creston

The trick is whether or not some people got burned with $500+ contributions and start making a stink about it. As we all know, some people carry disparate levels of influence online.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 25, 2013, 18:12 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 14:45:
That's about $500m USD. They did sell a bunch of things to increase revenues, so some of that is one time revenue. Still, glad to see they're healthy, even though they so a lot of things I don't like.

Closer to $400m USD, with the yen weakening markedly.

That being said, some of their operational realignments may ultimately take advantage of the weaker yen, which would help their bottom line, and the cheaper cost of doing business in Japan for foreigners may make it easier for them to lease out (or sell) some of their display and semiconductor facilities that had been hemorrhaging cash.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 24, 2013, 21:57 killer_roach

Genesys wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 20:58:
Tumbler wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 17:25:
In fairness the size of the phone for the Galaxy S3 makes it harder to do things one handed. On my old phone, droid incredible, the size was great for operating the thing one handed. Trying to use the S3 one handed is kind of a joke but I can't say I want to go back to the smaller screens. I'm glad I didn't move up to the Samsung Note though, was considering buying that but after adjusting to the size of the S3 I'm glad I didn't.

I think even the iPhone 5's screen is too big. I can't reach the upper-right corner of my iPhone 4s's screen when it's in landscape mode, so any app that has a button over there is really hard to use. Phones can be too big, and they can be too small. If it's bigger than my wallet or smaller than my keys it doesn't belong in my pocket.

Really depends on the size of your hands. I'm personally fine with operating the Note 2 with one hand, and could probably handle a device slightly larger than that. My SGS2 is pretty easy to hold, and the iPhone just feels tiny in comparison.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Apr 24, 2013, 21:24 killer_roach

Was that still a thing?

Seeing as they're still, last I knew, the largest seller of video games at retail, then yes, that is still a thing.

Not every game is meant for the mass market. So long as a dev can reach out to their intended audience and get the word out there, the math can work from there.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
13. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 20, 2013, 22:06 killer_roach

TurdFergasun wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 21:24:
doesn't help when governments vilify science, continually slash education budgets, and lower the standards along with them.

Except they aren't slashing education budgets. They're still expanding at rates well in excess of inflation. The only "cuts" have been in the rate of growth.

That being said, the amount of that money that actually goes to teaching isn't expanding much - most of that added money goes to facilities and administration.

News Comments > Orion: Dino Horde Controversies
5. Re: Orion: Dino Horde Controversies Apr 20, 2013, 20:43 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 20:32:
I bought the original for 5 bucks thinking it might be decent despite the horrible reviews (which I figured could be more for the controversy than for the game itself) but as it turns out, the game really was that bad. I checked and sure enough the new version is in my Steam account now; dare I install it to see if it is any better?

It installed itself on mine. Still haven't tried it.

(I got the original through some indie bundle a while back, can't recall which one specifically. My thoughts exactly on it, however.)

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - God Mode
7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - God Mode Apr 20, 2013, 16:50 killer_roach

Still looks vaguely interesting to me, although I'm probably still of the "wait until it goes on sale" mindset in that regard. (Not that much of a shooter fan anymore, to be honest.)  

News Comments > Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges
34. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 19:15 killer_roach

entr0py wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 18:49:
The only good news is since it was a court-supervised auction, we'll know the results in mid may when the court finalizes it.

Gamespot Story

I'm going to guess Sega picked it up. It's just not worth as much to anyone else.

Agreed. The value-add for Sega to hold it is probably more than it is for anyone else. The only other possibility would be if Sega hadn't qualified to participate in the auction and a holding company decided to bid on it with the hopes of licensing it out to them, knowing full well the value of the license in the hands of Relic or CA.

News Comments > Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges
28. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 13:29 killer_roach

Verno wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 13:26:
killer_roach wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 13:18:
To put it another way, EA is to business what Peter Molyneux is to development - overpromising, then underdelivering.

For sure, look at this SC patch list that is weeks over due. An alarming number of items are just basically buildings and functions that literally didn't work and are now being completed or implemented properly.

As usual EA is its own worst enemy.

I'd agree. I mean, I'm probably one of the bigger defenders of the major publishers around here, and have even defended EA on more than a few occasions. But most of that falls under one line of thinking - "at least somebody out there is liking it."

Here... not so much. It's a lose-lose situation for everyone involved, a pretty gross mismatch of audience to sales model, and really a fundamental violation of what I would consider to be the first rule of commercial game design - make a game people want to play, and keep playing, and you can figure out how to get money from them as you go.

1471 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo