Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1440 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Layoffs
4. Re: EA Layoffs Apr 11, 2013, 21:56 killer_roach

Warskull wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 21:43:
The problem with mobile gaming is that every mobile game is a gamble. Most gaming sites don't bother hyping up mobile games so either your game gets noticed and sells a ton of copies or it gets lost in all the noise.

To an extent, that's true of all games, not just mobile ones. The only difference is that the mobile gaming space has yet to develop a viable infrastructure for promotion and discovery that their more traditional counterparts have enjoyed for some time (note the verb choice - the older model didn't create those options, many of them more or less developed on their own).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 21:51 killer_roach

mag wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 20:54:
Why Mark Zuckerberg cares about immigration reform.

Because foreigners are cheap, and he doesn't want to pay for US labor. Duh.

Although there's also a difference between cheap labor and productive labor. Per wage, American and German workers tend to be more productive in many industries than their Chinese or Indian counterparts, but are often less so than their Mexican counterparts (although there are other issues related to Mexican labor, namely security of workers and facilities).

Oftentimes the upshot for tech firms with India and China is not so much labor costs but rather getting specific educational backgrounds that those countries heavily subsidize (thus glutting the market), effectively gaming the educational system (i.e. Country A benefits from Country B's spending, not Country B). In the end, the worker benefits in the short-run (as American firms pay more than their home countries), loses in the long-run (as the American visa system effectively ties them to a single employer, making them more like indentured servants), American rivals lose out (as they have to compete for wages that end up lower than they would be absent the foreign competition), the employer gains in some ways (they have a more ready supply of labor) and loses in others (much of the new labor is less productive), and the home countries of the foreign workers lose out (as many of their best and brightest leave for extended periods of time, benefiting other nations more than their homeland).

----

Additionally, on the GTX 700 cards, a bit of a bummer, but Nvidia isn't exactly being pressured in the market at present, so why jump the gun?

News Comments > EA Layoffs
1. Re: EA Layoffs Apr 11, 2013, 21:04 killer_roach

Not a huge surprise that their mobile game studio is getting hardest hit... it's a volatile market that EA (in my opinion) has been a bit too aggressive in pursuing non-traditional revenue generation from. What goes up must eventually come down, and all that.

(This isn't exactly a way of saying that microtransactions are necessarily a loser in gaming, in the mobile space or otherwise - just that, in an emerging market, it may be best to diversify risks with a few different revenue models rather than simply taking one that not only hasn't been proven long-term yet, but that seems to be facing considerable resistance in its current structure.)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 14:44 killer_roach

The problem is that new offerings don't mean anything if they don't bring anything new to the table. And that's exactly the case here - ultrabooks are mostly just higher-end (and higher-priced) netbooks that don't quite do what a full-size laptop does, Windows tablets are not really doing anything that iOS and Android offerings aren't (at lower price points), and all-in-ones... the less said, the better.  

News Comments > EA "Wins" Consumerist Poll Again
22. Re: EA "Wins" Consumerist Poll Again Apr 9, 2013, 23:41 killer_roach

Plain and simple, it's vote-bombing from a contingent that really thinks the new SimCity is the worst thing that's happened to modern society.

Then again, the warning flags were all over the place on that one. EA didn't exactly go out of their way to hide it - it was their experiment, and they deserved to have it blow up in their faces.

But to say they're markedly worse than any of the other companies mentioned? Doubt it. Bank of America, Comcast, and TWC are all in more methodological polling considered some of the worst customer service in North America. A poorly-executed game doesn't rate next to the perfidy of those other firms.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
70. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 8, 2013, 20:30 killer_roach

I find it funny that people are trying to discuss the physics rationale for many-worlds theory, when it's more the philosophical ones that Levine is more interested in (he of the famous "have to put a useless liberal-arts degree to good use" quote during the development of the original Bioshock).  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Newscorp eh? Apr 8, 2013, 20:26 killer_roach

mag wrote on Apr 8, 2013, 16:04:
Bard wrote on Apr 8, 2013, 15:39:
In other words, they want to fill Hulu with propaganda news flashes.

Rupert Murdoch is the foremost propagandist of modern times, Goebbels had NOTHING on him.

Hulu is already (jointly) owned by News Corp. Peter Chernin is the man that is bidding $500M, not Murdoch.

Don't worry, the nice men in the white coats and nets will be coming by to remedy the situation with our esteemed colleague here.

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 20:39 killer_roach

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 20:32:
I finally got a Kerbal into space...unfortunately for him I didn't plan very well past the "get into space part" so he's on a .....very long journey right now. Very very long.

"I know a boy who couldn't stand the ground
And always he was skyward bound
The saddest thing is he's up there now
But all he says is he wants to come down"
- from Phideaux's song "Kiteman"

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 19:58 killer_roach

Squirmer wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 19:01:
This is the same thing people said to defend the 'twist' in Bioshock 1, where you were ridiculed for being manipulated even though you had no other choice. Except to stop playing.

Levine and co must be laughing their asses off watching people defend their poor game design because "that's the point of the story!!"

Basically Levine is screwing with people who are wound a bit too tightly. People like you, for instance.

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Apr 6, 2013, 17:35 killer_roach

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 17:16:
And to be perfectly blunt, given the scope and severity of what your average foster kid, for example, has been through, the fact that upper middle to upper class college educated cisgendered white women make about 15% less than their male counterparts strikes me as relatively minor problem in the scheme of things.

And if you control for choice of career field and hours worked, women often out-earn their male counterparts, especially so below the age of 40. (Have actually done research into this - it's not much, but the difference is statistically significant.)

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed Apr 6, 2013, 16:49 killer_roach

Quboid wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 16:34:
I broadly agree with this article but it smells of self satisfaction. He's right, and I think raising awareness is important, however these articles always have a moral smugness about them that I suppose is inevitable when arguing a moral position.

Well, if social science research is to be believed, most human displays of altruistic behavior are meant as facades to excuse other less-honorable behavior. Basically "I've done my good deed for the day, back to being a scumbag" - which yes, tends to be the tone a lot of these more cliched pieces take whether they intend to or not.

(That or they want to be on record as doing their part to "make the world a better place" without having to actually put much effort into it beyond, say, a drive-by piece on a blog.)

News Comments > No One Knows Who Owns NOLF
21. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 16:33 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 14:56:
killer_roach wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 12:33:
Dev wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 12:09:
One would think that whoever owns it would be willing to just sit back and cash the checks from GoG and steam by putting it up there. But for some reason, some companies don't seem to want to make money.

Legal gets scared about doing anything that would open them up to being sued, especially since putting a game up on GOG without authorization could amount to commercial piracy (and open them up to near-unlimited liability).

Then again, it was Legal that botched their sales contracts, which is the reason why nobody knows where the rights are...
You quoted wrong person.

MY quote includes this key phrase "whoever owns it". I've highlighted it. Just to be crystal clear, by "it" I mean the rights.
Someone putting a game up on GoG without authorization... doesn't own it.

But if nobody is sure they own it, then it doesn't happen. That's what I'm getting at.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Apr 6, 2013, 13:27 killer_roach

ASeven wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 13:11:
Exactly. The double-standard is sickening.

"I am not willing to let this post become yet another platform for the people who wish to silence this debate."

Therefore his solution is to silence the debate. Amazing!

"Open debate" is never about open debate. It's about one side getting to say whatever they want and the other being forbidden to. People want to be thought of as bold and courageous, but at the same time want to be protected from the consequences of their own decisions.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Either you reap what you sow or you admit that you're a coward that craves a level of attention that your merits do not deserve.

News Comments > No One Knows Who Owns NOLF
8. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 12:33 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 12:09:
One would think that whoever owns it would be willing to just sit back and cash the checks from GoG and steam by putting it up there. But for some reason, some companies don't seem to want to make money.

Legal gets scared about doing anything that would open them up to being sued, especially since putting a game up on GOG without authorization could amount to commercial piracy (and open them up to near-unlimited liability).

Then again, it was Legal that botched their sales contracts, which is the reason why nobody knows where the rights are...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
20. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 4, 2013, 22:00 killer_roach

Axis wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 16:18:
I'll say it again, the ouya is going to be huge. It will take time because there's just so many stupids like David Pierce who want to keep promoting their Halo 8 at all costs, but good open source always prevails - mark my word.

Whenever you're willing to return to reality, we'll be waiting for you.

Ouya is dead in the water, for all intents and purposes. It'll be a decent-enough hobbyist device, but it's not opening the market for independent gaming - if anything, it's attempting to chain it to a sinking ship.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay
4. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay Apr 2, 2013, 22:26 killer_roach

Ceribaen wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 21:53:
For some reason this one is actually seriously tempting me to go in for one of the higher tiers to get the RPG sourcebooks and novellas around it...

Not certain why, because a) I have no nostalgia about Planescape: Torment and b) I didn't follow too closely the Numenera tabletop kickstarter (though I did consider kicking in for it).

There's just something that's drawing me to it.

Yeah, I keep debating about whether I want to up my backing to get the Numenera Corebook, but that's an extra $55, and the other stuff that comes with that level I have no interest in picking up.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: PS4 set for global launch in 2013, says GameStop exec. Apr 2, 2013, 20:28 killer_roach

Fantaz wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 14:43:
If I ever get one on launch, it will go straight on eBay for profits...

The biggest question on supply will definitely be whether AMD can hit production targets. That being said, considering they're reasonably vanilla chips for them their yields will likely be far higher than the (rather unnecessarily) sophisticated-for-their-time custom processor solutions Sony made for the PS2 and PS3.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2013, 17:18 killer_roach

61F (18C) here in Lexington, Kentucky... great to have the temperature around normal for this time of year, finally (after spending much of the past three weeks in the +/- 5C range).

Of course, then it's supposed to rain tomorrow and drop temperatures quite a bit again, but that looks to be mercifully short-lived this time.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Mar 30, 2013, 14:03 killer_roach

Aero wrote on Mar 30, 2013, 12:27:
I kind of liked Syndicate. It wasn't great, and wasn't really Syndicate, but it was a pretty solid shooter. For $5 I'd say it's well worth it.

I think part of it's problem was that, due to Origin being weird or whatever, it took forever to for it to go on any decent kind of sale.

I thought it went on sale pretty quickly. I got it for $5 a while back on GamersGate, and yeah - it's not really Syndicate, but it's really not bad, either.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Dungeon Hearts
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dungeon Hearts Mar 29, 2013, 12:04 killer_roach

Really an interesting little game, albeit with some somewhat clunky controls and a rather marked spike in difficulty once you fight The Dark One (first time I played I didn't take any damage before getting wiped by that fight).  

1440 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo