Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1420 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization May 16, 2014, 22:18 killer_roach

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 16, 2014, 10:19:
Grand Theft Auto trilogy released on Kindle Fire, Fire TV.

That has to be almost unplayable. Controls have to suck.

Well, the Fire TV uses a controller, so that should be no problem at all.

As for Kindle Fire, it's probably the same virtual joystick controls that the already-released Android versions use, which are serviceable but nothing overly impressive. I made it a fair way through GTA3 on my phone with them, though, and would imagine they'd be a bit more usable on a tablet.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse May 15, 2014, 20:51 killer_roach

PropheT wrote on May 15, 2014, 13:14:
Beamer wrote on May 15, 2014, 11:06:
Anyway, Amazon's biggest issue, in the offices at least, is that they have their "bar," and only hire people that "raise it." This means they end up with positions open for months, interviewing dozens of candidates without any meeting "the bar," and meanwhile the ones in the job are dying because there's too few of them for the amount of work.

They do that where I work, too...and then they publicly pat themselves on the back and brag about how they're doing more with less because of their great employees. I've never worked anywhere with morale as low as it is right now despite working for two tech companies that were laying people off left and right when I was there.

It's also supposedly one of the best places to work in America, if you believe the reports, so I'm solidly convinced that you'll find miserable employees practically anywhere if that's what you go looking for.

One of Amazon's biggest issues is the fact that turnover at all levels, but particularly in management, is endemic. Sometimes things end up falling to end-line people and new hires simply because nobody knows who else to turn to, and you end up with the perverse issue where, in some parts of the company, veteran low-level people are more knowledgeable about what is going on than their supervisors (simply because they've been around long enough to witness most situations before).

News Comments > 75 More Steam Greenlights
7. Re: 75 More Steam Greenlights May 14, 2014, 22:52 killer_roach

nin wrote on May 14, 2014, 22:35:
I don't see superhot listed, but they say they made it in 5 days...

I think they were in the previous batch.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
10. Re: Evening Metaverse May 10, 2014, 12:15 killer_roach

Pumas wrote on May 10, 2014, 10:43:
[VG]Reagle wrote on May 10, 2014, 09:21:
Wrong. It needs to not be nationalized. The only way it will stay free and working right is to be free market. The government screws up everything they touch. Nationalized means "governemnt owned". As soon as they own it they will pass ridiculous laws. Not to mention the NSA will go ape shit.

Free market works (fairly) well when there are many competitors in the marketplace. Yet there are very few ISPs. When there is no competition, the market is not free...it is controlled. If users could tell Comcast to piss off and choose an ISP that doesn't throttle services like Netflix, then I'd have no problem with the FCC staying out of it. But in many if not most areas, there is no other competing choice of ISP. In my area (which is by no means small or rural), for instance, Frontier is THE ONLY option. If they decide to throttle certain traffic, I have no recourse. I'm at their whim because they have no competition.

That's not a free market system. It's just a gnat's eyelash away from a straight up monopoly.

And a large portion of the reason why it's not free is the government itself - incentives for local monopolies over cable Internet as well as FCC regulations on telecommunications networks that limit competition in various DSL services, and that's not getting into the colossal mess that is wireless...

Most regulators seem to agree that "natural monopoly" is the best way to keep costs down, but there remains the question of whether or not such an arrangement is particularly efficient (as many strategic operations have to be approved by regulators, who may be somewhat removed from the base of customers who most want to see service improvements - a concern of natural monopoly and public monopoly systems alike) or whether it's effectively done to the benefit of government (as the franchise fees a regulated natural monopolist pays can be a hefty revenue stream to local and/or state governments).

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation May 9, 2014, 18:17 killer_roach

Fantaz wrote on May 9, 2014, 15:39:
DangerDog wrote on May 9, 2014, 01:16:
Retard Overdrive

They've run out of ideas in Hollywood Video Game Town.

i know... it looks laughably bad.

"...and in a lot of ways it's the game that Insomniac's been building up to in 20 years"

pretty sad if that's true. it's like Saints Row meets The Last of Us meets Infamous/Jet Set Radio.

Keep in mind their recent trajectory - they did a couple of mediocre throwaway Ratchet and Clank games, then produced the nearly universally-panned Fuse. Maybe this completes the string of suck...

News Comments > Free Unreal Tournament Plans
38. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 8, 2014, 22:18 killer_roach

Basically this is going to be for Epic what TF2 is for Valve - a teaser product that gets end users into the real business of the company. Valve wants you messing around with the marketplace and hopefully making purchases on Steam, and Epic wants you messing around with UT's code and maps if it means you're more likely to start developing with UE4 and selling content through them.

As far as paid content goes - it seems pretty likely that paid-for maps, skins, and small scale mods are doomed to go nowhere for the most part. Nobody wants to pick up stuff that they can't use, and there'll be free equivalents for a lot of it anyway. For well-made large scale maps and full game conversions, however - there may be a market. Nonetheless, I expect the first handful of paid maps the community comes up with will be a bazillion versions of Facing Worlds, but that's to be expected.

7. Re: Evening Consolidation May 6, 2014, 00:30 killer_roach

Fantaz wrote on May 6, 2014, 00:06:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 5, 2014, 23:57:
Fantaz wrote on May 5, 2014, 23:51:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 5, 2014, 23:40:
0 updates in 15 days, PS3 and PS4 only when PC gamers make up majority of funding source on KS

Uh yeah, not gonna happen.

the reason it cant be on anything but Playstation systems is that the game always used the square, triangle, and circle buttons exclusively. it would be breaking tradition if they went with Xbox controller or PC. tho i would've liked to at least see a Vita version made, i'd prolly still be able to play it on my Vita with PS4 remote play wherever there's a net connection.

I think we poor PC gamers /And gamepad masochists) can find 3 buttons to bind to those 3 buttons Not to mention you can just paint cross, circles and squares on a random button and call it a PS4 controller

I am more worried that they don't give a shit. No updates in such a long time spells doom to a KS.

well from the article there's this being mentioned: [...] specifically, Sony systems. That's a decision that has to do with the game's legacy, according to Lesser. "This was a game that Harmonix and Sony made together, so that property belongs on Sony platforms," he said.

maybe $ony is paying them a little bit for them also? (not so "independent", eh) still i think this is worth $20 and will glady fund this Kickstarter. also i think i was in the top 50 rankings online for Amplitude around when it first came out on PS2 and have very fond memories of that game. logged hundreds of hours, and got me listening to electronica music more.

Sony owns the Amplitude IP.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
12. Re: Sunday Mobilization May 4, 2014, 21:15 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on May 4, 2014, 20:10:
HorrorScope wrote on May 4, 2014, 19:38:
Seems to me like the biggest smartphones handle the tasks that most would need from a tablet. The tablets biggest win is doing something while mobile over a laptop, but a big smartphone can do it and more.

Smartphones are about mobility out of the house. Tablets are about mobility in it. A laptop isn't comfortable to use on a chair or a couch. Guess where most people browse the internet and do their stupid Buzzfeed quizzes?

Answer: not somewhere they can easily use a laptop.

People buy laptops sparingly now, because updates aren't very beneficial to someone not doing video editing or video games. People are now buying tablets sparingly, too, for the same reason - newer, better ones offer no real, tangible benefit worth even a fraction of the $500-$800 most are.

Having bought my last laptop mostly for video editing... I'm no fan of using laptops for video editing. Even the high-end ones are a bit lacking for that purpose.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
7. Re: Sunday Mobilization May 4, 2014, 19:25 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on May 4, 2014, 17:34:
Or a tablet laptop. I'd love an MS SP2 but at $1000 they can kiss 1000% of my ass.

Was seeing one of those Sony convertible laptops at Best Buy for like $850... hadn't paid much attention to them until seeing one, but if I had the money for it I'd strongly consider it. Specs are a bit unimpressive (then again, at that price I shouldn't be surprised), but it's a seriously striking bit of hardware. (Normally I'd say "Apple pretty", but Apple wishes in this case.)

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. May 4, 2014, 19:21 killer_roach

NetHead wrote on May 4, 2014, 15:52:
It seems Bitmap Brothers either have, or are trying to become the biggest franchise milker in the games industry.

Sure everyone loves pointing to Call of Duty there, though even each CoD is a new game however much it lacks innovation, whereas Bitmap Brothers at best slaps on a few new textures (mostly regarding the GUI) on an ancient game and expect people to eat it up like hot-cakes. These things aren't even "HD" remakes which are already a milking money grab no matter how great the a once was.

Taking this "Z" as an example the biggest difference between the original, which is approaching 20 years, and the new release when looking at screenshots of the newer on steam, is that the GUI map has changed. Pretty much the same goes for "The Chaos Engine", talk about kicking Call of Duty's arse when it comes to milking something.

Don't even get into them milking Speedball because that would make your head turn trying to keep track of all the remakes. The boldest of which was a complete and utter failure which could be seen coming from a year away even before they started talking about their money grubbing micro transaction ideas. Before you try saying Bitmap Brothers had nothing to do with that version "Mike Montgomery from Bitmap Brothers is supervising all steps in the development of the game".

How Bitmap Brothers still has anything remotely resembling respect from anyone is beyond me, that coming from someone who enjoyed some of their games once upon a time.

Come on, they haven't even gotten near Interplay territory yet.

Personally, I think it's more in the territory of "about damn time" they get stuff like Z available online... I wouldn't pay much for a game that old, but I might be tempted to snag it should it show up on GOG (or pick it up on a Steam sale).

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
10. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs May 3, 2014, 22:31 killer_roach

Quboid wrote on May 3, 2014, 22:05:
Jivaro wrote on May 3, 2014, 21:35:
You guys aren't acknowledging that they get to keep the tech, keep selling the phones, etc etc. They are essentially paying 120million dollars to license Apple's tech. I guarantee you that if in some weird alternate reality Samsung had licensed Apple's tech, it would have cost them a bunch more than 120million over the lifetime of said tech.

File this money under R&D, not legal fees.

They can still sell the phones that use these, but can they use these in future phones? The models mentioned aren't likely to be big sellers any more.

What I can't figure out is that both of the patents that Samsung was found to violate there exists prior art before Apple's own implementations...

News Comments > etc.
23. Re: etc. May 2, 2014, 23:05 killer_roach

Quboid wrote on May 2, 2014, 21:21:
HorrorScope wrote on May 2, 2014, 20:20:
Quboid wrote on May 2, 2014, 15:57:
Why is he in so much trouble with the NBA for this and not for denying housing on racial grounds? That's much, much worse.

Why. Two parts all sponsorship was leaving, has left. But even bigger than that and that is plenty big is the players were organizing a walk out. That forced immediate action.

Why didn't the sponsors walk after the earlier case? Why didn't player protest earlier? I understand the NBA's position, they had to act now because the fact of the matter is that their brand was being hurt by the negative publicity - but why wasn't there as big an outcry earlier? Was it just that the reference to going to games brought the NBA into it?

The difference between now and 2006 is that there's more of a social media response. Nobody really seemed to care about the lawsuit against Sterling back then, as it didn't really attract much news coverage. Today, a gossip site gets a hold of something, passes it along, and people get talking. That's more how news is made anymore.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization May 2, 2014, 18:49 killer_roach

Seeing that the first Android Silver device seems set to be made by Samsung, I'd argue that signs point to "no" on that one.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2014, 01:34 killer_roach

Pigeon wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 14:37:
Verno wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 12:41:
Linksil wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 11:59:
This is a complaint I really don't get. Even playing games that seem to need to be played in a darker room(infamous on dusk levels), I've never had a problem with the light bar.

Depends on where/how you sit, if your TV is glossy or matte, etc.

My complaint is slightly more practical, I just think its a waste of battery power. Before someone says "but its LED!!!", the LED in that thing is so bright they put a heavy dimmer in front of it. I get far better battery life when I'm using the DS4 on the PC with the lightbar turned off as well.

It really doesn't bother me much, but I understand that it bothers some people. I also understand how it can be particularly annoying when its completely possible to turn it off, but they're refusing to give that option for unexplained reasons. I'd probably turn it off, as it only serves as a flashlight in dark rooms, otherwise its just a battery drain.

At least the "Dim" setting is pretty unobtrusive. (For the record, the firmware allows you to set between "Dim", "Medium", and "Bright", with the previous default being "Bright".)

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - PC BloodRayne: Betrayal
7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - PC BloodRayne: Betrayal May 1, 2014, 20:37 killer_roach

jacobvandy wrote on May 1, 2014, 06:25:
I don't understand how they could fuck up this IP so bad. Sexy vampire inflicting shockingly gory violence on Nazis really hooked me when I was younger... Where did they go wrong? A victim of political correctness maybe?

Poor narrative combined with annoying level design overly dependent on set pieces and shockingly terrible controls will do in most any game they touch.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - PC BloodRayne: Betrayal
4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - PC BloodRayne: Betrayal Apr 30, 2014, 23:10 killer_roach

ViRGE wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 21:29:
I'm trying not to be snarky here. I really am. But did anyone ask for this? It was not exactly a well received game on the consoles.

I played it on the PS3, was rather disappointed in it. Honestly, I'd rather watch the Uwe Boll movie again.

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 30, 2014, 22:03 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 21:34:
Gosh doesn't Xbox live just so fucking rock! 3 year old games you can get for less than $5!

In all fairness, this is their best attempt yet...

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 29, 2014, 23:00 killer_roach

CrimsonPaw wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 22:08:
I think it's awesome that the free (for Plus members) PS4 launch game will launch a YEAR after it was supposed to; I would probably be upset if I was a car game enthusiast.

I bought the PS4 as soon as I did primarily for Driveclub... am going to pick up Infamous Second Son pretty soon here, but beyond that it is a bit of a letdown.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Apr 29, 2014, 22:49 killer_roach

ldonyo wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 17:52:
CONSORTIUM is also on sale at GOG.com for the same 40% off, plus no Steam required!

Same price on the Humble Store as well, and that comes with a DRM-free version and a Steam key.

News Comments > 75 More Steam Greenlights
6. Re: 75 More Steam Greenlights Apr 29, 2014, 21:52 killer_roach

Ludomancer wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 19:59:
Seventy-fucking-five games. I don't pay any attention to this list, and this is pretty much why. I fully expect amazing games to fall through my radar. I fully expect the worthy ones to be picked up by word-of-mouth. Also: I love hyphens.

My usual metric for the strength of a Greenlight batch is how many of them I already have picked up from various indie bundles.

This one, with three... not one of the better ones.

1420 Comments. 71 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo