Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1448 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 6, 2014, 20:58 killer_roach

|RaptoR| wrote on Jul 6, 2014, 16:57:
Mobes, tabs? Jesus that's cringeworthy

Somebody isn't familiar with British tech slang.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sacred 3 Preorders
7. Re: Sacred 3 Preorders Jul 2, 2014, 22:18 killer_roach

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 21:26:
Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 21:07:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 21:02:
Did the people that formerly made up Ascaron make this or did they sell off the IP?

Sacred 3 is being made by Keen Games.

I really enjoyed the first two Sacred games. Which is odd, because I never liked Diablo and Sacred was an obvious clone.

Thoguht (or think) I have played the previous ones, but not in my Steam, so I grabbed the first one for 2 bux today. I figure once I get through the first 2 again, 3 will be on sale.

Sacred and Divine Divinity were both great spiritual successors to Diablo 2, personally.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 1, 2014, 22:34 killer_roach

[SC]TherMight wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 20:17:
The Witcher Battle Arena was incorrectly entered into mobile section. It's a MOBA game aka Multiplayer Online Battle Arena like LoL.

...but the target platforms are iOS, Android, and Windows Phone, making this precisely the correct place for it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2014, 18:04 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 17:35:
sir wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 12:28:
Not that I like the guy, but Blue, that Gordon Ramsey story is from 2009.

Here's a more recent story, if you're interested. Same old, same old.

Sad thing is the UK version of Kitchen Nightmares was really pretty good - anybody with any interest in the business side of the restaurant industry should probably give it a perusal, because it touches on a lot of the common pitfalls and ways to address them. The US show, however? Basically just clueless owners and filthy kitchens. It got repetitive in a hurry, and nowhere near as interesting as some of the ones they showed in the UK where you had immaculate kitchens, great cooks, experienced owners, but still were hemorrhaging cash.

That being said, the Independent article comparing him to Jamie Oliver is a bit disingenuous. Ramsay seems to be approaching his brand in a much more traditional sense, while Oliver seems to be trying to brand himself more as an activist than a cook, raking in money from speaking fees on behalf of various awareness campaigns more so than his food.

News Comments > Hello Games "Would Like" to Bring No Man's Sky to PCs
42. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 23:48 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 16:05:
I can't imagine this NOT coming to PC, although Sony does have a history of leaving games as PS exclusives, like Uncharted. It would be money of the table if they didn't. I'm very interested in this game, but I'll never own a PS.

The PS4 is basically a mid-range game PC, and I'm sure there are things that can be done to the game as is on PC that will make it look better and take advantage of the extra PC power: add AA, increase draw distance, add tessellation, etc.

Last generation a great deal of the downloadable third-party titles that were console-exclusive to the PS3 ended up on the PC eventually... even ones that Sony funded, like Hello Games' prior effort, Joe Danger.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2014, 16:32 killer_roach

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 09:16:
Really wish the Midwest had something. To travel to any of these shows is thousands of dollars. I just don't see a reason to attend.

Yeah, there really isn't for video games. For tabletop and pen and paper gaming, the Midwest is spoiled between Gen Con and Origins, but video games? Good luck.

(Then again, I think some of that is due to the fact that, outside of Volition, I can't really think of another major game developer based in the Midwest... they're almost all in Boston or in California somewhere.)

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Jun 17, 2014, 20:34 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 20:25:
They're recycling the same games repeatedly so it'll come by again at several points. And Amazon sale usually starts around beginning of July, so 2 more weeks? Hope Steam actually has some good sales this year. Haven't been that impressed with the last 2 or 3 sales.

I saw one game earlier that was not only in the middle of a flash sale, but was queued up for one coming up after it expired. Confused the hell out of me.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 17, 2014, 01:42 killer_roach

TheEmissary wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 01:34:
Is there really a market for the Ouya anymore? Other Micro-consoles like the Kindle Fire TV and Playstation TV are priced similarly and already have better games. Then you have the fact that the big three consoles have made inroads to supporting indie development.

I have a strange feeling they are applying their own interpretation of what they consider a developer. A thousand developers a month seems a bit high for the console.

The only thing I can think of is that they have a good API for controller support that Android devs want to use for their own projects, and just go "oh, what the hell, we'll join Ouya's developer program so we can make this game for other Android devices".

News Comments > SCS Software Dev vs Valve
15. Re: SCS Software Dev vs Valve Jun 17, 2014, 01:28 killer_roach

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 16:31:
Trevellian wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 13:40:
But... they don't have a Monopoly. Origin, which everyone loves to hate on for no reason other than existing, exists.

That didn't stop Microsoft from being declared a monopoly, despite Mac and Linux existing at the time. One doesn't have to have 100% control of the market to be a monopoly, they just have to have a disproportionately large amount of power and influence within it. Given that Valve is estimated to control something like 85-90% of digital distribution on PC with everyone else fighting over the scraps and that a large number of digital PC games you buy now are just Steam keys anyway, I'd say they definitely have that.

Exactly. In fact, antitrust law in the US, as written, can allow for a single company to legally control an entire market. It's only using said position to manipulate the market that's actually illegal.

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Re: Into the Black Jun 17, 2014, 00:28 killer_roach

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 21:51:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 20:17:
Holy Crap, Tony Gwynn already? WTF. I remember how famous and loved that man was when I was a kid in the 80s. And I say that as someone who grew up in New England as a Yankees fan.

Rather shocked, as one of the last games I ever saw back in Jack Murphy Stadium, my dad caught a foul ball off of him, and we in the season got him to sign it. Super nice guy, along with Garvey.

One of my favorite memories of seeing a game in person involved him. Was watching a Cubs-Padres game at Wrigley Field in the early 90s (92, maybe?), and Gwynn was on first base, and taking a surprisingly large leadoff toward second, basically daring Cubs pitcher Heathcliff Slocum to try to pick him off. Slocum saw Gwynn about twenty-five feet off of first base, and decided to throw back to first to catch him.

Gwynn, however, had other plans.

As soon as he saw Slocum wheel around to throw to first for the pickoff, he took off running to second, and by the time Grace was able to throw to Sandberg to catch Gwynn he had slid in safely. Had never seen a guy of Gwynn's build take off running like that before - was almost comical, but it showed incredible determination.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2014, 20:00 killer_roach

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 17:13:
Cracks me up when they finally get a console running at 1080p they have to brag about it, when most of us have been running at that resolution for years.

Counting back to the first game I ran at resolutions at or exceeding 1080p, it's been about fourteen years since I've been doing that on my machines (back then it was mostly Quake 3, UT, Madden 2001, and Heavy Metal F.A.K.K.2 on a 21" CRT at 1920x1440...).

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 10, 2014, 20:52 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 15:02:
Verizon, what a joke. The only way they could have such low throughput is if they were intentionally throttling. I mean, for their wired DSL to be slower than Clearwire's wireless internet is unbelievable.

It's sad when Canada has better average throughput than the USA.

Also keep in mind that there are more DSL providers in the US (who comprise the bulk of the bottom of the list), and Canadian ISPs typically don't have as low of bottom-tier speeds even on cable (keep in mind the vast majority of cable Internet users don't get anything beyond the basic package).

Personally, on Time Warner Cable, where they stand on there seems about right. Don't really have any widespread issues (nor should I on a 20Mbit line), but every once in a while something isn't right.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jun 7, 2014, 22:25 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 7, 2014, 12:07:
Set sights on the general market not the Apple Air user's they aren't even looking your way... ever.

I don't think they're aiming for the individual consumers, this seems to be more geared toward trying to convince IT departments to stick with Microsoft's offerings in the face of non-tech employees seeking to have their company deploy Apple hardware.

Overall, the Surface Pro 3 looks intriguing, but I think that the price is too much for the sake of portability for most corporate customers, and consumers will simply stick with Apple, Samsung, or Amazon tablets.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jun 7, 2014, 18:09 killer_roach

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 7, 2014, 16:57:
Phuck E3 that retarded monkey circlejerk wankfest. PC games need crowdfunding and not that annual meeting of the industry's greatest asshats.

Depends. If you're looking to do something small, you really need neither - much of it could be handled on a hobbyist basis until you have something that you could start selling bona-fide preorders for (if not putting on Steam Early Access).

If you're looking for something more involved and ambitious, then crowdfunding would seem to be the way to go... assuming that a) you have some big names attached to your project or b) you are extraordinarily good with relatively traditional marketing. Some of the more "indie-friendly" publishers (Sony comes to mind first, but Atlus and Deep Silver come to mind, and occasionally EA whenever management goes off their meds and goes to a more beneficial side of their love/hate relationship with small developers) may, despite the fact that they'll assert some creative control and take a good chunk of the receipts, be a better way to go if you're more convinced on your ability to sell a game to a single person or a small group than you are in your ability to do retail marketing (not to mention will be considerably better at getting you media access to try to better pitch your title on your terms).

I mean, look at the big Kickstarter gaming successes... almost all of them come from developers with intimidating resumes, not your typical indie devs. One of the major exceptions to that is FTL, but they played a surprisingly effective marketing game of their own - to the point where almost any indie developer looking to crowdfund might want to look to them as the template for how to run a campaign, and the devs themselves may want to consider writing a book on their experiences.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Jun 5, 2014, 20:42 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 20:35:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 19:23:
Witcher 3 pre-orders are up. Hit the GoG page, discount varies, but is between 15-20% off.

Hmm, my discount is only 10%. And that's logged in. Wonder what gets you the extra amt off?

20% off if you own both Witcher games on GOG. 10% if you only have one of them.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 5, 2014, 15:48 killer_roach

theglaze wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 15:23:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 14:18:
Horizon wasn't bad, but it was more Forza Need for Speed, vs Forza in an open world (which would be awesome).

Exactly.

I tried to use my racing wheel peripheral with Horizon but it was awful, especially compared to the awesome physics engine and wheel force feedback that has been found in all other Forza titles on the 360. Furthermore, once Horizon launched all other DLC cars/tracks for Forza 4 stopped and they released Horizon content.

I felt totally alienated by one of my favorite franchises. So much so that I didn't buy into XB1 and Forza 5 with it's limited track and car selection and day 1 DLC...and no day 1 compatible wheel available for sale and the one that did release had a high failure rate (check out amazon Thurstmaster TX reviews).

It was good run Turn 10, but you've lost your way.

Turn 10 didn't develop Horizon, it was Playground Games, which is mostly a bunch of former Bizarre Creations devs (which probably explains its excessively PGR-like nature). But Forza 5... definitely their fault.

News Comments > Tetris Ultimate Announced
6. Re: Tetris Ultimate Announced Jun 4, 2014, 19:46 killer_roach

Krovven wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 17:25:
I thought EA owned Tetris?

Nope, EA simply licensed Tetris from Pajitnov's holding company to make their games. Been quite a few official Tetris developers over the years...

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation May 29, 2014, 20:34 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on May 29, 2014, 19:13:
Well I guess the suckers that backed their KS can kiss their money goodbye.

Yeah I'd just be happy if they got a good RDR port out for the PC nevermind another game. 7 years since the last one isn't what anyone would consider a franchise. They'd consider that Valve Time.

I think the layoffs were pretty well known in advance - which is why they needed the money. Had the KS failed, it probably would've been some of that team that would've been on the chopping block instead.

Then again, Harmonix has an almost embarrassingly large head count for a studio that doesn't release a lot of games - I know for a while they were over 300 employees.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Intro Movie
13. Re: Wasteland 2 Intro Movie May 25, 2014, 20:10 killer_roach

jimnms wrote on May 25, 2014, 18:27:
jdreyer wrote on May 25, 2014, 13:56:
Doesn't look like they spent TOO much on this, but surprised that some of the KS money went toward making this.

They didn't spend much at all on it. I thought the details on how it was filmed was on the KS page, but it's not and I can't remember where I read it. It's driving me crazy too, I just spend 30 minutes looking for where I read it. From what I remember, Fargo said he shot it himself with his personal camera and used stock footage of the nuclear blasts and missiles that is free.

From Update 49:

"We knew we shouldn’t spend too much cash, so I got a little creative and took my camera to the Wasteland Weekend. Using that footage, stock footage and some new footage shot with actors, we got an effective opening for less than $30K. The opening cinematic explains the history of the setting and the Rangers before setting up the start of our game."

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
8. Re: Saturday Mobilization May 24, 2014, 19:56 killer_roach

[VG]Reagle wrote on May 24, 2014, 18:51:
Wireless broadband can reach the moon, and maybe Mars.

So basically it would lag about like Fidelity internet does.....

You'd be talking about adding another three seconds minimum latency round-trip to the moon, and basically 7-25 minutes round-trip to Mars, depending on the orbit.

1448 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo