Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1471 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
20. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2014, 18:55 killer_roach

Lord Tea wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 11:26:
'Not Every Game Should Be 1080p' Says Xbox Head Phil Spencer.

As a PC gamer I agree wholeheartedly - some games should be 4k. It's 2014 after all.

I'll be a nice guy and meet him halfway. QHD (2560x1440) work as a compromise?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox-clusivity "Has a Duration"
13. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox-clusivity Aug 13, 2014, 18:56 killer_roach

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 16:29:
Microsoft is desperate because the PS4 version of Tomb Raider outsold the XB1 2-to-1.

Square Enix must have been paid a shit ton of money to piss off fans like this, as this will hurt the brand.

If it's anything like previous deals have been rumored to be, Square Enix already has a profitable game on their hands.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 8, 2014, 20:55 killer_roach

Julio wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 17:27:
Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 16:20:
so I know which 900 authors to avoid in the future. Fuck you and your attempts at price fixing. Fuck you right up your fucking ass with a rusty pipe.

Agree 100%. I'd still like to see some pound them in the ass jail time for people at the publishers and Apple who were price fixing. And these 900 authors should also be held liable if they were involved.

For some of the "bigger name" authors, I'm guessing the motivation is partly out of a hard-on for the "good old days" of professional writing. They'd just as soon have the publisher drum up word for what people should be reading, and if they were able to do without all those upstarts that are pounding out books in their kitchen in between sales trips or taking care of their kids, all the better.

...to be perfectly honest, writing as a pure profession is dead. Has been for a couple of decades. And no amount of sticking up for the stodgy status quo will bring it back.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 5, 2014, 00:18 killer_roach

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 20:09:
The Worstall rebuttal is pretty compelling. The three biggest autonomous experiments in social policy for the good of society (commies in Russia, Cuba, and China) all were socially regressive. At least with capitalism you have assholes you can count on.

One of the great advances of Western capitalistic society has been in coming up with ways to provide products and services that were at one time the domain of the wealthy to ever-greater numbers of people. After all, many of these luxuries and conveniences are desired by more than just the elite, and the enterprising among us would recognize that by not getting it to everyone else money is being left on the table somewhere.

Anymore it's getting to the point where the primary advantage the rich have for many of these things is not in having them, or even necessarily having better versions of them - it's simply having more of them, and diminishing returns set in after a while. (And people wonder with some degree of incredulity why most studies of income and happiness in the US seem to show a near-flattening of the relationship past a middle or mid-upper household income level...)

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 2, 2014, 02:05 killer_roach

PropheT wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 22:20:
Julio wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 20:20:
No thanks, I'm not giving Gamestop my fingerprints. What's next, giving them your DNA?

It's more of a problem with pawn laws and legal requirements for second-hand stores and the requirements of anyone selling something to the store there than it is with Gamestop. In the effort to stop criminals, you're legally required to assume everyone is a criminal.

Yeah - in some areas that's a legal requirement already. I know where I live (Lexington, Kentucky) it's required by county law (as well as a few other annoying "protection" features, like you can't sell within an hour of the store closing, allegedly so that they can't try to pressure you into a lowball offer, but it really just annoys those of us who are more night owls than anything).

News Comments > PC No Man's Sky Confirmed?
27. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 22:59 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 22:48:
Numinar wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 20:40:
NVIDIA and AMD might help a bit, but they don't have the warchest Sony has.

My "warchest" you're talking about Sony's $1.26 billion Q1 2014 loss? NVidia during the same period cleared $136 million.

You have to factor in the value of physical assets. Nvidia is fabless - all they have is IP and a couple of office buildings. Sony has manufacturing facilities all over the world - there's a lot more to corporate value than just quarterly profits. (Additionally, it's not Sony's gaming business that's losing money - it's mostly their television and computer businesses that are tanking, and they're basically getting out of the PC business as a result of the bloodbath they've gotten in that market.)

News Comments > PC No Man's Sky Confirmed?
20. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 17:19 killer_roach

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 10:10:
I believe Hello Games said a while ago that No Man's Sky is only console exclusive on PS4. Unless Sony's funding their development (and they aren't), there's no way they'd go exclusive with them.

Sony funded their first game (Joe Danger) and it showed up on PC... I think they're partially funding No Man's Sky as well, but not sure on that one.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 31, 2014, 20:42 killer_roach

wtf_man wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 20:32:
Check your maths.

Check yours.

In the 2:1 scenario, if 100 Xbones were sold, 200 PS4s were sold. 300 in total.

100 Xbones / 300 consoles = 33.33%

In the 3:1 scenario, if 100 Xbones were sold, 300 PS4s were sold. 400 in total.

100 Xbones / 400 consoles = 25%

You were trying to cite a generalization based on a proportion of the population while couching it in the numbers of a relative proportion.

By mixing your frames of reference, I stand by my prior statement.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 31, 2014, 18:01 killer_roach

wtf_man wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 15:43:
I don't know why you all are surprised.

3:1 is what the pre-launch polls were showing worldwide, and 2:1 in the US.

It pretty much played out that way.
I guess that means 50% of us are stupid, while the rest of the world is only 33% stupid. Heh.

Well, we found part of the minority... (should be 33% and 25% respectively)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 31, 2014, 14:36 killer_roach

BitWraith wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 10:38:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 10:25:
Pigeon wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 09:30:
Tablet's have probably reached the point of saturation; everyone who wanted one has bought one. Same thing that happened with flat screen HD TVs.

What you call market saturation is in reality a market that waits for the "NEXT BIG THING" , and tablets are not that thing yet. Also I highly doubt global markets are crashing.

It's market saturation. No one wants to lug those things around - everyone just uses their phones to play with crappy apps now. Tablets were always an in-between product anyway.

Beyond that, you have a situation where device makers have to convince consumers that their new product is worth upgrading their old one for. When you have a situation where a decent-sized used market still exists for first-gen iPads (really), it's clear that the ability to convince people to move up, especially for the prices involved, is minimal.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
13. Re: RE: GaymerX Jul 29, 2014, 18:59 killer_roach

Eirikrautha wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 15:36:
El Pit wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 09:04:
GaymerX? Really? Is there any sexual/racial problem in gaming that needs to be addressed? Where is HeteRox, the political lobby group about hetero rock musicians, or AfriGame about African American gamers or... *sighs* Really, guys, there are more important groups that need every single buck to fight starvation, diseases, and the Starbuckisation of once great coffee. Well, alright, maybe the last one does not need the money.

Actually, you're missing the point. The point is that, had this been a "singles con" or somesuch, when a backer reneged on their donation, you'd have to suck up the loss and soldier on. In this case, you can call up a friend who works for a gaming magazine and accuse the company of being anti-gay (based on nothing but your anger), which means that everyone will then fall all over each other in a desperate attempt to see who can curry more favor (so as to escape the dreaded calumny of being labeled homophobic). And the money to pay your bar tab comes rolling in. It's tactical genius!

Seemed like they were getting desperate to sign NIS America on as a sponsor because they were in need of the money, then got let down because, as surprises no one, NIS can't really do things like that seeing as they're perpetually one step from bankruptcy. Good on them that they got somebody else to cover their own mismanagement, but if something similar happens next year you wonder how much longer the good will can continue for.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2014, 00:31 killer_roach

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 11:00:
Sigh, George RR Martin. He's going to pull a Robert Jordan on his readers, it's pretty much a given at this point.

So does that mean we get Brandon Sanderson to salvage this series too?

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 25, 2014, 19:14 killer_roach

LittleMe wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 19:06:
Nah F2P can be done right and the market is slowly choosing the better models that we like. Romero is right about that. It's evolving. There are publishers and developers want to give us what we want.

He might be right that the whole shakeup has the potential to kill off AAA studios - but it'll claim a lot more of the startups in the process. It has the potential to be incredibly disruptive, but nobody has yet gotten it quite right.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 18, 2014, 12:35 killer_roach

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 14:54:
Verno wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 09:56:
From what sales figures to what though? Weren't their May sales awful?

I saw on Twitter somewhere that apparently the sales doubled last month (which were not great) and only in the US. Always be suspicious when they don't state actual numbers.

Apparently nobody has May figures to go from, but Microsoft sold about 115k XB1s in April. Assuming May was similar, that'd mean 230k in June - an annualized pace of 2.76m consoles a year (of course, with the fact that console sales heavily skew toward Q4, a back-of-the-envelope adjustment would put it closer to a 4m a year rate, but still). Needless to say, that's not exactly good for this point in the life cycle.

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 17, 2014, 22:32 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 21:32:
Netflix had no experience and seems to be doing just fine.
Amazon had no experience and seems to... not be doing particularly well. I dunno, I never watched their shows.

I think the issue is really about audience. I can't see it being possible to get the audience needed to sustain a show when you limit yourself to Xbox owners.

Netflix has had to cultivate working relationships with television and film rights holders and creators for years. If they wanted to get something done, they knew who to get in touch with. Amazon seems to be trying the same thing, but they're definitely working on a lesser budget, judging from the names attached to their projects. (Seems to be a case of "hmm... who isn't doing anything lately?" with their casting.)

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 17, 2014, 20:34 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 15:47:
XES never made much sense. I mean, don't get me wrong, it would be the most fun project at Microsoft to work on, but TV shows tied to one platform just seems like a losing prospect.

Unless I'm misremembering, and you didn't need Gold, or an XBox, to watch them. But if it was tied specifically to both Xbox and to Gold it would never have a large enough audience. Even if just Xbox, or Gold and watchable on any Windows machine, sounds too limited.

Even still, it's something that Microsoft really had no expertise in. At least Sony can piggyback off of their television and film studios to get original video content - Microsoft was in a position where they basically had to chase after promising projects with huge sums of cash to get them to come on board. Guess somebody high up realized that wasn't particularly a winning proposition.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jul 16, 2014, 21:57 killer_roach

Genesys wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 20:22:
Nice video, but Puddles' cover has a better back story :)
http://grantland.com/features/puddles-the-clown-royals-searching/

I saw that video a few weeks ago - the guy's got pipes.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
10. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 13, 2014, 23:11 killer_roach

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 22:29:
Matt and Trey have nothing to do with it... Comedy Central has 100% control over the property. So if you're gonna throw a tantrum over them monetizing it more effectively, blame the right people. SPS was an unbelievably generous exception to the rule of online television distribution, especially considering they were still trying to sell DVDs and there was never any commercial interruption if you simply used Adblock or similar. So I'll be sad to see it go, but I'm frankly amazed it has lasted this long...

Actually, Comedy Central and South Park Studios split control over the property - although it was mentioned that, at the launch of the SPS website, such a split of control is exceedingly rare. It is rather unusual that they went to Hulu, however, considering that the episodes were on Netflix for years and Viacom (Comedy Central's parent company) has an exceptionally strong working relationship with Amazon.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
7. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 13, 2014, 19:30 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 14:54:
South Park to move behind Huluís paywall and end unlimited free streaming.

Oh, that sucks. Also, it wasn't free per se. There were still ads you were forced to watch.

And still will be, as even a paid Hulu Plus subscription doesn't remove the ads.

News Comments > Grim Fandango HD Remake Coming to PCs
6. Re: Grim Fandango HD Remake Coming to PCs Jul 9, 2014, 20:14 killer_roach

Jivaro wrote on Jul 9, 2014, 19:05:
If all they do is make it look better on higher res screens, I am cool with that, particularly since I long since lost my copy. If they try to get cute and fuck with the actual game experience, I don't imagine that ending well.

If it's the same as the PS4 version, they're changing the controls as well, but that's pretty universally been looked upon as a positive change, as the original game was pretty clunky in that regard.

1471 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo