Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1436 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
13. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 20, 2013, 22:06 killer_roach

TurdFergasun wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 21:24:
doesn't help when governments vilify science, continually slash education budgets, and lower the standards along with them.

Except they aren't slashing education budgets. They're still expanding at rates well in excess of inflation. The only "cuts" have been in the rate of growth.

That being said, the amount of that money that actually goes to teaching isn't expanding much - most of that added money goes to facilities and administration.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Orion: Dino Horde Controversies
5. Re: Orion: Dino Horde Controversies Apr 20, 2013, 20:43 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 20:32:
I bought the original for 5 bucks thinking it might be decent despite the horrible reviews (which I figured could be more for the controversy than for the game itself) but as it turns out, the game really was that bad. I checked and sure enough the new version is in my Steam account now; dare I install it to see if it is any better?

It installed itself on mine. Still haven't tried it.

(I got the original through some indie bundle a while back, can't recall which one specifically. My thoughts exactly on it, however.)

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - God Mode
7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - God Mode Apr 20, 2013, 16:50 killer_roach

Still looks vaguely interesting to me, although I'm probably still of the "wait until it goes on sale" mindset in that regard. (Not that much of a shooter fan anymore, to be honest.)  

News Comments > Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges
34. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 19:15 killer_roach

entr0py wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 18:49:
The only good news is since it was a court-supervised auction, we'll know the results in mid may when the court finalizes it.

Gamespot Story

I'm going to guess Sega picked it up. It's just not worth as much to anyone else.

Agreed. The value-add for Sega to hold it is probably more than it is for anyone else. The only other possibility would be if Sega hadn't qualified to participate in the auction and a holding company decided to bid on it with the hopes of licensing it out to them, knowing full well the value of the license in the hands of Relic or CA.

28. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 13:29 killer_roach

Verno wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 13:26:
killer_roach wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 13:18:
To put it another way, EA is to business what Peter Molyneux is to development - overpromising, then underdelivering.

For sure, look at this SC patch list that is weeks over due. An alarming number of items are just basically buildings and functions that literally didn't work and are now being completed or implemented properly.

As usual EA is its own worst enemy.

I'd agree. I mean, I'm probably one of the bigger defenders of the major publishers around here, and have even defended EA on more than a few occasions. But most of that falls under one line of thinking - "at least somebody out there is liking it."

Here... not so much. It's a lose-lose situation for everyone involved, a pretty gross mismatch of audience to sales model, and really a fundamental violation of what I would consider to be the first rule of commercial game design - make a game people want to play, and keep playing, and you can figure out how to get money from them as you go.

25. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 13:18 killer_roach

Verno wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 13:14:
When you're shipping glorified advertisements DLC to the game before fixing the utterly broken simulation aspects people wanted in the face of the most disastrous launch we've seen in the industry then yeah, I would say that's going to backfire a bit on them.

Exactly.

Hell, if them selling a few more ads would've given the developers the time to fix some stuff that should've been caught in testing, then I'm all for it. But as it is, it's simply a "for what?" situation. Nobody really benefits - EA's sales drop off, gamers get even more pissed off, and the advertisers are miffed that they're not getting the audience EA promised them.

To put it another way, EA is to business what Peter Molyneux is to development - overpromising, then underdelivering.

23. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 13:01 killer_roach

Verno wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 12:43:
You underestimate EA, this is the company that shipped Toothpaste "DLC" for the still utterly busted SimCity. Microtransactions on the microtransactions will be the wave of the future.

A lot of that doesn't hardly take much effort, though - I mean, the process of doing stuff like that is pretty much the same as a newspaper or magazine selling ad space (and I wouldn't be surprised if some of EA's marketing people came from print publishing originally, seeing the DLC released so far).

I'm thinking they parceled out the advert features thinking that it would continually be adding something new to the game, but when people are more wanting the game to work as expected, that's backfiring on them. The idea wasn't, in the grand scheme of things, completely awful, just their execution was (additionally, probably should space those DLCs out with some actual proper content or feature additions just to avoid burnout or people looking at them as a cynical cash-in - but to expect sense from marketing people is to expect my chair to start singing opera).

21. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 12:26 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 12:20:
EA bought the Homeworld IP and is going to turn it into a 3rd person shooter with QTE Microtransactions.

Creston

I highly doubt EA is the buyer. They've been reasonably quiet on the acquisition front lately, the IP doesn't really hold much value with their development studios, and it'd be just as easy for them to create a similar game from scratch without paying for the name. Seeing as their new CEO seems allergic to spending money, after all...

18. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 12:12 killer_roach

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 10:34:
In my fantasy world, Creative Assembly bought the IP and have decided to put a temporary hold on developing the Total War series after Rome II so they can work on Homeworld III.

Remember that Sega owns both The Creative Assembly and Relic, the developers of the original Homeworld games. They're the heavy favorite to be the buyer.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Apr 19, 2013, 00:23 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Apr 18, 2013, 21:12:
Hmm, EDGE looks a bit too abstract for me. Anyone here played it? I guess at $4, it's no great loss if it doesn't appeal to me.

It's pretty fun, and a reasonably challenging puzzler, but I got it when it was part of a Humble Bundle a while back. $4 by itself seems a bit steep in comparison.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 18, 2013, 19:40 killer_roach

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 18, 2013, 09:20:
Never will understand why Kickstarters even offer physical goods. Seems like a sure way to get into a tax/sales tax/income limbo

Set up shop in Delaware, Montana, or Oregon. No need to worry about sales tax, as it's zero in those states (Alaska has a zero state rate, but some localities differ... not to mention, shipping from Alaska? Really?).

At least income tax is easy enough for online transactions. Sales tax is a gigantic fustercluck.

News Comments > TimeGate Loses Section 8 Appeal
6. Re: TimeGate Loses Section 8 Appeal Apr 17, 2013, 23:22 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 21:32:
That's 7.3 million, not $7.35

HAHA I was going to say they could almost buy a Big Mac meal (SUPER SIZE!!) at the McDonalds with their settlement. :)

Pretty sure they could swing that. Around here they could just about get a Baconator meal from Wendy's, but they'd need somebody to chip in about a nickel to cover the sales tax.

News Comments > Steam Greenlights 18 More Games
15. Re: Steam Greenlights 18 More Games Apr 17, 2013, 19:04 killer_roach

PHJF wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 18:26:
As a consumer I'd rather Steam not be inundated with shovelware.

That's about what Greenlight is doing for the most part, though

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
10. Re: Sunday Consolidation Apr 14, 2013, 23:18 killer_roach

Ant wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 22:52:
SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 22:36:
Ant wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 22:15:
Hopefully, MS and owners will understand the issue with Internet requirements!!
ohh they understand it alright but they will do it anyways
Then, I hope more outages occur and their subscribers get pissy!

That's the one area where Microsoft has a really tricky path to walk. People pay for online connectivity through them, and therefore place an inherently higher value on uptime. If you pay for something, you expect it to be there for you. If they can't straighten that out, that could be really problematic, and the always-on rumors only exacerbate that.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified
32. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 13, 2013, 21:11 killer_roach

Xombie wrote on Apr 13, 2013, 21:04:
But it isn't really investment. Paying a few bucks for a Kickstarter campaign doesn't mean you're on the board of directors, or get any actual input on the product beyond what they deign to listen to, unless that's what they promised you.

In fact, it's illegal by law to sell an investment position on Kickstarter unless all of the backers are qualified investors (which would likely rule out... everyone here - a qualified investor is one with phenomenal net worth).

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified
19. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 13, 2013, 17:10 killer_roach

MattyC wrote on Apr 13, 2013, 17:02:
Dev wrote on Apr 13, 2013, 15:53:
Rattlehead wrote on Apr 13, 2013, 15:38:
Why would anyone want to sign a deal with Microsoft? They literally have no souls.
Because if they didn't they couldn't use the IP.

Which is sad because it makes no sense. The only game Microsoft made with the IP had absolutely nothing to do with the IP. It had the name and nothing else.

But they own the rights to the IP for games ever since they bought out FASA Interactive after FASA Corporation's bankruptcy. (It means they also hold the rights to Crimson Skies still.)

News Comments > EA Layoffs
4. Re: EA Layoffs Apr 11, 2013, 21:56 killer_roach

Warskull wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 21:43:
The problem with mobile gaming is that every mobile game is a gamble. Most gaming sites don't bother hyping up mobile games so either your game gets noticed and sells a ton of copies or it gets lost in all the noise.

To an extent, that's true of all games, not just mobile ones. The only difference is that the mobile gaming space has yet to develop a viable infrastructure for promotion and discovery that their more traditional counterparts have enjoyed for some time (note the verb choice - the older model didn't create those options, many of them more or less developed on their own).

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 21:51 killer_roach

mag wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 20:54:
Why Mark Zuckerberg cares about immigration reform.

Because foreigners are cheap, and he doesn't want to pay for US labor. Duh.

Although there's also a difference between cheap labor and productive labor. Per wage, American and German workers tend to be more productive in many industries than their Chinese or Indian counterparts, but are often less so than their Mexican counterparts (although there are other issues related to Mexican labor, namely security of workers and facilities).

Oftentimes the upshot for tech firms with India and China is not so much labor costs but rather getting specific educational backgrounds that those countries heavily subsidize (thus glutting the market), effectively gaming the educational system (i.e. Country A benefits from Country B's spending, not Country B). In the end, the worker benefits in the short-run (as American firms pay more than their home countries), loses in the long-run (as the American visa system effectively ties them to a single employer, making them more like indentured servants), American rivals lose out (as they have to compete for wages that end up lower than they would be absent the foreign competition), the employer gains in some ways (they have a more ready supply of labor) and loses in others (much of the new labor is less productive), and the home countries of the foreign workers lose out (as many of their best and brightest leave for extended periods of time, benefiting other nations more than their homeland).

----

Additionally, on the GTX 700 cards, a bit of a bummer, but Nvidia isn't exactly being pressured in the market at present, so why jump the gun?

News Comments > EA Layoffs
1. Re: EA Layoffs Apr 11, 2013, 21:04 killer_roach

Not a huge surprise that their mobile game studio is getting hardest hit... it's a volatile market that EA (in my opinion) has been a bit too aggressive in pursuing non-traditional revenue generation from. What goes up must eventually come down, and all that.

(This isn't exactly a way of saying that microtransactions are necessarily a loser in gaming, in the mobile space or otherwise - just that, in an emerging market, it may be best to diversify risks with a few different revenue models rather than simply taking one that not only hasn't been proven long-term yet, but that seems to be facing considerable resistance in its current structure.)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 14:44 killer_roach

The problem is that new offerings don't mean anything if they don't bring anything new to the table. And that's exactly the case here - ultrabooks are mostly just higher-end (and higher-priced) netbooks that don't quite do what a full-size laptop does, Windows tablets are not really doing anything that iOS and Android offerings aren't (at lower price points), and all-in-ones... the less said, the better.  

1436 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo