Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1462 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Footage
1. Re: Shadow Warrior Footage Jun 15, 2013, 15:19 killer_roach

I was a bit sketchy on the idea of a reboot, but that's actually looking... pretty solid. Color me intrigued.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 12, 2013, 20:10 killer_roach

ViRGE wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:28:
Flatline wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 16:30:
For once Pachter and I agree on something.
I don't agree with him for the same reasons, but I suspect the outcomes are the same regardless. It doesn't look like we're getting very many big AAA games this Christmas for the Vita, and that will probably be the final nail in the coffin for it in the West.

Which is a shame. It's very good hardware, and even a price cut on the damned memory cards would have been enough to drum up some excitement and spur on sales.

At the end of the day, it needs games. With Sony not really doing much themselves on it, they're not exactly spurring on confidence for third parties to do likewise. Hell, compare it to Nintendo's release diarrhea on the 3DS - one knows how to support a handheld, and the other doesn't.

News Comments > Op Ed
53. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 20:08 killer_roach

Julio wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 19:26:
Prez wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 19:21:
You joked about Hitler and euthanasia in one sentence! That makes you even worse! Shocked

So curious if/or where you guys draw the line?

Hurricane Katrina jokes?
9/11 jokes?
Hiroshima jokes?
School shooting jokes?
Boston marathon bombing jokes?

All funny to you?

I have a pretty transgressive sense of humor - all of them, if you find the right angle, can be funny. That being said, there's a time and a place for all of them - a public event being streamed live over the Internet? Not one of those times.

Krovven wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 19:55:
People-who-still-think-rape-jokes-are-funny

If you think rape jokes are funny, I can guarantee that if you have a loved one that has been raped, you won't find it funny any more. Real men don't think rape is funny, just sad little boys.

That being said, I find your offloading of your own indignation onto hypothetical others hilarious.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jun 9, 2013, 20:09 killer_roach

nin wrote on Jun 9, 2013, 15:24:
Forza Motorsport 5 - In-Game Footage Teaser Trailer.

XBONE - fuck those guys.

Also rather funny that the account posting the video is the one slagging it...

I bought my 360 almost specifically for Forza 3 (also PGR4 and Tales of Vesperia).

This time around... it'll take more than Forza 5 to get me to open my wallet.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Jun 7, 2013, 00:29 killer_roach

Wow, that Ocean City Racing game looks terrible...

...then I saw the clip of driving a go-kart through a subway station, and now I'm vaguely intrigued. It still screams shovelware, but I'm a sucker for ludicrous things like that.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
13. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jun 2, 2013, 21:32 killer_roach

wtf_man wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 20:36:
XBox One is not an option for me, period.

If the Playstation Eye turns out to be Mandatory like the Kinect... then neither will the PS4 be an option.

/shrug

Of course, if the Eye is mandatory, without an internet connection to phone home, a lot of the concerns are mitigated (apart from the obvious one of cost).

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam
12. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 1, 2013, 20:58 killer_roach

Kosumo wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 20:18:
Don't forget to use Ten-Online!

Man, point-to-point dial-up multiplayer is really where it's at.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
5. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 1, 2013, 19:54 killer_roach

dj LiTh wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 16:25:
So what i gathered, about 1-15% faster vs Ivy at the same clock although most cases about 8% is a safe assumption. Much lower idle, but suprisingly higher load output. Although unless your slamming a laptop at full usage its prolly going to be pretty great on battery life.

I just upgraded to a 2500k about a year ago and am quite happy with it OC'd to 4.7ghz, wont be upgrading anytime soon, but for anyone before sandy this is probably a good time to jump in and get a K sku overclockable haswell chip.

Yeah, I've had a 2600K that I've had OC'd anywhere between 4.4 and 5.0 (the latter for four-thread use, the former for eight-thread use), and not really seeing any reason to upgrade anytime soon. For the cost of a new processor and motherboard I could snag a GeForce GTX 770, which would do significantly more for me in terms of an upgrade (I currently run a 560Ti) than getting a i7-4770K would.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jun 1, 2013, 19:49 killer_roach

Cpmartins wrote on May 31, 2013, 20:54:
A thousand pages. If that doesn't tell you something about the kind of content they packed in the game, nothing will.

I still have my guidebooks for Daggerfall... it's in the same category of length all told, but basically just walls and walls of text, tables, and formulas (yes, the guides for it actually gave you the exact computations various spells or abilities relied on).

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 1, 2013, 16:23 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 16:00:
Aero wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 15:47:
Andrew Reisse is a good example of why Police should not be involving themselves in high speed chases.

It's sad, but it happens. Typically the police, if the chase gets too dangerous, will back off, but if they're chasing felons they are going to keep going as long as they can.

I'd hate for the standard to become that any criminal can get away as soon as he breaks 80mph...

I hope they caught the bastards and put them on the electric chair.

Creston

One of them was actually shot and killed by police in the process of trying to arrest him, the other two were captured and are awaiting trial.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Crayon Chronicles
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crayon Chronicles Jun 1, 2013, 15:04 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on May 31, 2013, 12:52:
First words on the trailer are:

Intros are lame. Here's some gameplay!

EXACTLY. Why is this so hard people? (Looking at you Wargame: AirLand Battle, but there are many, many others)

I was worried about the graphics, but they actually very well done. And gameplay looks fun. I'm going to DL the demo.

It's not bad - my only complaint is the lack of keyboard controls, only mouse or gamepad...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 1, 2013, 14:59 killer_roach

Rattlehead wrote on May 31, 2013, 22:26:
Yea there is no way they will charge that much for game, it's obviously a placeholder, and knowing amazon's eagerness to sell anything before it exists *cough DNF cough* it's not right.

Additionally, Amazon charges you the lowest price between when you preorder and when it releases... from their perspective, it's better to err on the high side than lose your shirt assuming a price point that turns out to be lower than the official price.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed May 30, 2013, 01:03 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on May 30, 2013, 00:45:
PropheT wrote on May 30, 2013, 00:42:
As an aside, it's odd that Forbes has become one of the more readable gaming news sites out there in the past year. Even their articles I don't like are generally better than the average stuff on actual gaming sites right now.

Not at all. In fact I find it odd that more mainstream sites don't take gaming seriously as it's been kicking the crap out of other mainstream entertainment for a long time now.

In the UK, The Guardian and The Daily Telegraph also do some halfway-decent gaming-related journalism.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. Re: Morning Mobilization May 29, 2013, 21:07 killer_roach

Creston wrote on May 29, 2013, 17:53:
Alamar wrote on May 29, 2013, 13:52:

I know! Can't you just image how stupid a company would be to turn down a huge profit...

Sometimes, thinking an issue through helps : )

-Alamar

A huge profit from a company that

A) You are 100% in direct competition with in the main market for which said product is used (ie, smartphones.)
B) has consistently tried to not just sue you for paying licensing fees, but literally sue you OUT OF BUSINESS.

Yeah, you should JUMP at the opportunity to sell a billion dollars' worth of product to said company, especially since if you didn't, you could severely hamper your number one competitor in the smartphone business.

Rolleyes

Creston

Simple solution - in lieu of licensing fees to Apple on Samsung hardware for Apple's IP, Samsung extends the former procurement arrangement Apple had with them. Everybody wins.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Launches
17. Re: More Big Picture Details May 23, 2013, 21:56 killer_roach

PHJF wrote on May 23, 2013, 21:37:
The cost makes no sense for anyone. I'm sorry, but inflation hasn't gone up thirty fucking percent in the past year. What's a 760 going to cost, a mere $400?

The problem is that the GK110 GPU that comprises the 780 is just a die-disabled version of the GPU in Titan, which is a 7.1 billion transistor behemoth. In comparison, the 680's GPU is 3.5 billion transistors (on the same 28nm process!), and the 580's is 3 billion.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Launches
14. Re: Performance is a joke May 23, 2013, 19:17 killer_roach

eRe4s3r wrote on May 23, 2013, 16:54:
30% faster than a 670GTX But with 600 price point 300 more expensive.. haha Not going to be a huge success I'd wager...

670GTX is still the card to own, no reason to upgrade it seems...

The 780 is basically an upgrade path for people who currently are running a 480 or 580... the cost makes no sense for 680 owners.

I'm still wanting to see some GPU video transcoding benchmarks - I don't play as many newer games on my PC, but improvement in that area would be one facet where I'd be tempted to retire my 560Ti somewhere down the road.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 22, 2013, 19:51 killer_roach

InBlack wrote on May 22, 2013, 09:11:
Short version:

Cook: We dont want to pay taxes we already paid in the various countries where we do business. We will bring back the money into the US once you drop the corporate tax rate from 12% to a more reasonable 1 or 2%.

Most of the Senators: 'Clapping', Bravo!, Long live Apple, this is the way the american dream is realized! etc...

Top corporate tax rate in the US is 35%, which would apply to every single dollar Apple repatriated. The 12% number you cited is an effective tax rate, which includes exempt income (profits from overseas) and various deductions and tax credits.

Technically, it could be argued that the ideal corporate tax rate should be zero, since all corporate profits that aren't put back into the business are either taxed as personal income (if distributed as bonuses to employees) or capital gains (if they are distributed to shareholders and/or employees as dividends). That being said, it doesn't particularly strike most people as "fair", and the innate anti-corporate animus of the average American voter would basically ensure such a system would never be put in place.

News Comments > Zombie Oz to Set Up Us the Baum
5. Re: Zombie Oz to Set Up Us the Baum May 20, 2013, 20:49 killer_roach

Fantaz wrote on May 20, 2013, 13:45:
it seems game maker's are really running out of ideas...

not mentioned though is that American McGee is involved?

Yes, he's involved with it.

Excellent title to the post here, though. What better way to illustrate jumping the shark than to dust off a decade-plus-old meme?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Microsoft details its two part console reveal for the next Xbox. May 20, 2013, 19:02 killer_roach

Fantaz wrote on May 20, 2013, 15:20:
Yeah, that's pretty much how I'd expect Sony to do it too.

"Market's ready for new consoles, but old-gen surprisingly viable"

Old-gen is viable only because kiddies would buy the new COD's on Xbox 3-shitty for the next 20 years even if there was no new console!

It also makes a bit of sense considering Sony is trying to court indie devs. Basically go "here's how you get the game to run well on the PS3/Vita, and here's what you have to do to pretty it up a bit for the PS4."

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
17. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 18, 2013, 23:32 killer_roach

Dades wrote on May 18, 2013, 22:40:
EA, an unprofitable piece of unwiedly shit that can't seem to make a game without pissing off the entire universe is saying the 100 year old company that birthed the industry is walking dead. What's that bit about throwing stones in a glass house?

The difference is that EA could restructure and at least tread water. Nintendo had a major hardware launch, a release of a good number of games from their core franchises, and their financials still look far from healthy. There's a better path to a decent ledger for EA than Nintendo, especially when you consider EA's current valuation really isn't all that large (about 40% the size of Activision or Nintendo, both of whom are valued similarly).

Additionally, you seem to forget the fundamental thing about financial outlook - it's not about the history, it's what they're expected to do going forward, and Nintendo's forward outlook is rather scary, especially going into 2014.

1462 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo