Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1441 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
5. Re: Morning Screenshots May 17, 2013, 18:05 killer_roach

Creston wrote on May 17, 2013, 17:27:
starttimartti wrote on May 17, 2013, 16:04:
Jerykk wrote on May 17, 2013, 12:26:
By "hi-res," does that mean they're redoing the prerendered backgrounds?

Based on those screenshots, no they are not. This will be another "one of those" hi-res versions.

Which is a shame, because if they genuinely did good, updated ports of the late FFs, I'd gladly buy them. This definitely looks sharper than the original Playstation game, but the backgrounds just seem like they've got a sharpen filter applied or something. They don't appear new.

Creston

Yeah... I only picked up the PC remake of FFVII when it hit a sale for $5. I figured at that price it was worth revisiting, but no more.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
20. Re: Morning Consolidation May 16, 2013, 21:28 killer_roach

Blackhawk wrote on May 16, 2013, 21:13:
It is just as likely that they are realizing the same thing Ubi did: Making a small amount of money at the cost of a bad reputation with your most vocal customer base doesn't actually save money after all.

Additionally, if enough people say "screw it", don't get the online pass, they might be done with the game once they finish the single-player campaign - making it that much harder to sell those people DLC (which might be the real way publishers make money off of used sales). Give up a little money to potentially make more money? Doesn't seem that crazy to me.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 15, 2013, 22:50 killer_roach

dj LiTh wrote on May 15, 2013, 22:14:
Sounds like MS made a better youtube app then google and now they're pissed.

Sony already did that on the Vita, though, and that app isn't catching flak.

Blocking ads and allowing video downloads, however... that's pretty ballsy by Microsoft.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 14, 2013, 22:04 killer_roach

PropheT wrote on May 14, 2013, 21:33:
killer_roach wrote on May 14, 2013, 19:50:
What ever happened to the good old days when it was just Sony and EA saying stuff this idiotic?

To be fair, they didn't actually say this, and even if the graphic they released did say it then they only actually be saying 13% of people don't care about privacy, not everyone.

It's not quite as inflammatory without the user-injected conjecture and hit grab headline, though.

Fair enough, but when their own study showed that less than half of users were taking any sort of privacy management steps... wow.

(In some ways the devil really is in the details there.)

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 14, 2013, 19:50 killer_roach

Go home, Microsoft, you're drunk.

What ever happened to the good old days when it was just Sony and EA saying stuff this idiotic? Sony seems to have repented somewhat, and EA simply moved onto actions (with a "what, me worry?" attitude about the fallout), but it seems we have a new challenger...

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse May 4, 2013, 16:46 killer_roach

Smellfinger wrote on May 4, 2013, 11:39:
Israel can kvetch all it wants, but it will eventually be forced to end apartheid and allow arabs to become Israeli citizens. It's only a matter of time.

Considering that there are EU countries that don't allow outsiders to become full-fledged citizens... good luck with that.

News Comments > Pinball FX2 on Steam Next Week
17. Re: Pinball FX2 on Steam Next Week May 4, 2013, 16:18 killer_roach

nyr27 wrote on May 4, 2013, 00:32:
http://www.futurepinball.com/ if anyone is interested. I've gotten my simulated pinball fix here for years. There's hundreds of tables available, editor to make your own, and it's free.

Looks like the link to their forums redirects back to the main page of the site, meaning that there's actually very few tables available.

Probably would have to look into something like PinMAME instead, or just take my chances with the Pinball Arcade PC port (I have it for PS3/Vita and Android, and it's occasionally quirky, but not necessarily that buggy - but it seems like it's going to be leaps and bounds ahead of even the PS3 version graphically).

As far as Pinball FX2... way too "floaty" of physics. Not even close to simulation-grade, and a lot of their tables frankly suck, but there are a few gems amongst the lot.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 2, 2013, 21:58 killer_roach

Julio wrote on May 2, 2013, 17:58:
I'm up with paying 3.4% more on my current internet bill for free music, ebooks, movies and TV forever. Sure would be a lot less than I spend today.

Somebody was on the right track earlier when they were talking about how it will invariably be ratcheted up. Once it's "legitimized" in such a fashion, it will simply mean that fewer and fewer retail sales will occur (at which point the content production industry may have written their own death sentence in a commercial sense).

18. Re: Morning Consolidation May 1, 2013, 22:04 killer_roach

Draugr wrote on May 1, 2013, 02:00:
killer_roach wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 23:24:
Granted, Sony's console provides substantially greater system memory bandwidth than any PC will for years to come (simply because PCs aren't shipping with GDDR5 as system RAM

As I understand it, GDDR5 isn't much faster than DDR3. GDDR5 being used as system ram is due to the system sharing memory between the GPU and CPU, not because it offers any significant advantage being used as system ram.

Don't confuse clock speed with memory bandwidth. Bus width is important - something where the PS4 still has a clear edge over a desktop PC.

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 30, 2013, 23:24 killer_roach

Granted, Sony's console provides substantially greater system memory bandwidth than any PC will for years to come (simply because PCs aren't shipping with GDDR5 as system RAM), and will likely have better implementation of GPGPU processing than currently is being used on PC, but those are simply feathers in its cap. Modern PCs can use significantly greater brute force to trump advantages in efficiency on the consoles.

Simply put, a dual-socket Xeon-MP rig with the fastest DDR3 that money can buy and a couple of GTX Titans hooked up in SLI will annihilate the PS4 in terms of performance. It may still hold up decently to the PS5, whenever that happens. It'll cost an obscene amount of money and consume enough juice that Greenpeace will stage protests outside your house every time you boot it up, but if you want power... a good PC will give you that to spare.

News Comments > Respawn's Debut an MS Console Exclusive?
3. Re: Respawn's Debut an MS Console Exclusive? Apr 29, 2013, 20:29 killer_roach

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 20:13:
Halo is still a strong franchise, same with Forza.

Oddly enough, just about the only IPs that Microsoft owns and develops on the Xbox.

Odds are this new project will compete with Ryse to see which becomes the new Xbox's Gears Of War.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
16. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 28, 2013, 18:53 killer_roach

mag wrote on Apr 28, 2013, 00:47:
killer_roach wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 15:09:
Android outdated? Blame yourself for not rooting it and running CyanogenMod, MIUI, or AOSP.

rooting != ability to install CM and its ilk. My phone is rooted. Bootloader's still locked. No crack for it. No updates.

I take it you're running a pretty obscure device? Most anything that I've seen has been able to unlock the bootloader one way or another.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 27, 2013, 22:10 killer_roach

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 21:33:
Yeah with this sort of criteria it would be harder to find nine brands that DON'T qualify.

Going back to the three I singled out, I could come up with competitors that would better fit the category than the ones listed.

Apple ---> HTC
(Yes, Apple's damaged from their peak, but it's still a valuable brand. HTC, despite making some good products, is likely done.)

Hyundai ---> Fisker
(Hmm, exaggerated MPG and one sizable recall versus completely made-up range and reliability numbers, a couple of major issues with their one model, and requiring massive taxpayer subsidies to stay afloat? No contest.)

JP Morgan ---> Bank of America
("London Whale" aside, JP Morgan is still considered one of the better-run "too big to fail" banks. BoA, on the other hand, is a mess, with neither federal regulators nor consumers liking them much.)

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 27, 2013, 20:01 killer_roach

Even for those that think such major press events are necessary, the timing of E3 gives it very little utility by default. With the major release season being in Q4, by the time the publishers really want to ramp up media hype, E3 has come and gone, and they're instead going all-out at Gamescom and TGS. Really a US-based gaming press event has to go into that mid-late Q3 window to have maximum promotional impact, or go even earlier than it is at present (perhaps late Q1/early Q2) to start teasing stuff as well as to promote those Q2 releases that are already out by the time the other major events come around.  

7. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 27, 2013, 18:00 killer_roach

dubfanatic wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 17:23:
killer_roach wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 15:09:
Android outdated? Blame yourself for not rooting it and running CyanogenMod, MIUI, or AOSP.

I wanted to root my Android phone, but the tool I need to root it only works in 32-bit Windows XP. Can you blame me for not having an obsolete OS laying around?

May need to look elsewhere. While I'm not going to publicly discuss rooting methods on this forum, I'm not aware of any phone that cannot be rooted from a modern OS.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Reddit Apr 27, 2013, 15:35 killer_roach

In all fairness, Reddit's "vigilantism" has killed fewer innocent people than, say, SWAT raids...  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 27, 2013, 15:13 killer_roach

The reasoning behind calling Apple, Hyundai, and J.P. Morgan "damaged brands" is flimsy at best... somebody really had to make some stretches to include them with the rest of the list (additionally, BlackBerry seems to at least be somewhat on the way up - something that few on that list can claim).  

1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 27, 2013, 15:09 killer_roach

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Apr 26, 2013, 23:09 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 22:27:
nin wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 21:58:
So the Lunar bundle is all episodes of BTTF, right? Not just the first one? If so, heck of a deal.
Thats the way that "Back to the Future: The Game" is described on steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/31290
If it was an individual episode, I'd expect it would have that episode name.

Bought the bundle, it has all five episodes, available as Steam key, Desura key, and as a DRM-free download.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 26, 2013, 23:07 killer_roach

Julio wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 20:46:
Seems like an attempt to shift the blame to publishers for always on DRM. I won't be buying any console games that require always on DRM.

In my opinion, we'll see how serious that stance is when we see the first always-on game published by Microsoft. Believe me, if the technology is there, that day is coming.

1441 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo