Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1442 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > WBIE Bringing The Witcher 3 to North America
4. Re: WBIE Bringing The Witcher 3 to North America Jul 25, 2013, 21:55 killer_roach

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 21:22:
Ugh I didn't even think of the drm aspects... I am sure WBIE will push for Steam + Windows Live + Whatever other bullshit they can come up with.

Hopefully CD Projekt setup a contract that allows them to also release a DRM free version on gog.com.

I would assume there will be a GOG release.

That being said, apart from their bizarre hard-on for GFWL, WBIE hasn't done too bad by me as a publisher of PC games goes. They're no Paradox or Valve, but, then again, only two companies are.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Borderlands 2 DLC Announced
36. Re: New Borderlands 2 DLC Announced Jul 20, 2013, 23:05 killer_roach

ItBurn wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 22:53:
It's that little extra that's the problem for me. Idealy, season pass for me would be ALL the DLC forever. That's what all other games to date have done. But, it kinda makes sense for the newly announced DLC to not be in that season pass. It does kinda feel like a new season is starting. What annoys me more are the cosmetic DLCs that were released prior to Tiny Tina. And that doesn't annoy me all that much either, but I think it's kinda bullshitty that it's not included. As in, no real reason. That's all I've been saying from the start. I'm not about to burn down the Gearbox headquarters and I'll probably buy the extra DLC.

Forza 4 had plenty of DLC that came out past the expiration of the Season Pass. This isn't anything new.

Honestly, a Season Pass should be just a pass for a defined "season" of content. Just because you buy a Season Pass for a TV show on iTunes doesn't mean you get more episodes once the next season comes out.

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 20:04 killer_roach

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 19:34:
Beamer wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 19:23:
I think most of us also realized that, after a few years of having a few hundred bucks, if not more, in games we know we'll never play, it isn't worth buying something in case we're bored on a rainy day.

I have over a hundred unplayed Steam games, and about 15 or 20 unplayed console games. I'm set for a lifetime of potential rainy days.

Yea, I have 2 midsize boxes of games from GoGamer when it was still alive and well from when I did a large buy period of games cause I knew my income would shrink taking this job. So I have 30 or so boxed games to play for PC, another 20+ console games, and a ridiculous amount of Steam games. I bounce around on games a lot, so I am ok with it. When I add it all up, it isn't really that much....just seems like a lot (money wise).

/and now with the PS3+, I am getting all of those games free as well! ehehheeh I am underwater with time vs games avail. It is insane. A sickness.

I am thinking about doing that "Play 1 game a day until list is gone through" so getting 2-12 hours per game. Then going back to games that take more time or are worth the time. Start building categories in Steam Library. The problem is there are so many great games that take 100+ hours of my time that I really enjoy....and I just dug the NES and Atari out of the basement and set them up.....

I just accumulate when things are dirt cheap - my thought process is that, after a while, pretty much everybody's gotten my money at one point or another.

News Comments > On Sale
36. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 16:31 killer_roach

Eirikrautha wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 14:37:
killer_roach wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 03:05:
mch wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 02:48:
I've done both Borderlands 2 and Dishonored for $10, I'm pleased enough with the sale.

Of big stuff, I just got GRID 2 and Tomb Raider. Picked up Dishonored earlier for a similar price, so I didn't need it now.

I've gotten a handful of indie titles on the cheap as well, in particular Strike Suit Infinity, Retro/Grade, and Super House Of Dead Ninjas, but I've mostly been taking a pass on the major games.

What'd you think of Strike Suit? I've been considering it ($3 is nothing, really), but I've heard that the gameplay difficulty ramps up so much it gets un-fun pretty quickly...

I've been playing Strike Suit Infinity more than I have Zero, but it does have some considerable difficulty at points. Nothing yet that's brutally unfair, but it is very chaotic. Even still, I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 20, 2013, 16:29 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 15:42:
See, if those corps were smart they'd offer people to host the boxes on their property in exchange for free unlimited fiber & cable/satellite so long as they live there, and the same to anyone else who may purchase the property in the future. I'm sure there'd be no shortage of people willing to have one of those on their property at that point.

Or, at the very least, have some sort of impressive discount (say, for instance, always having the highest tier of service at a guaranteed price of $40 a month or something, locked in for life). Agreed that there's a lot of skid-greasing that isn't being done there. AT&T could learn a thing or two from the oil and timber industries on that.

News Comments > On Sale
21. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 03:05 killer_roach

mch wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 02:48:
I've done both Borderlands 2 and Dishonored for $10, I'm pleased enough with the sale.

Of big stuff, I just got GRID 2 and Tomb Raider. Picked up Dishonored earlier for a similar price, so I didn't need it now.

I've gotten a handful of indie titles on the cheap as well, in particular Strike Suit Infinity, Retro/Grade, and Super House Of Dead Ninjas, but I've mostly been taking a pass on the major games.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 19, 2013, 16:06 killer_roach

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 15:36:
At least you'll have a use for your vita finally (remote play)

I'm not sure why people pre-order big tickets items like this other than to flip. Seems like first gen always has a lot of problems.

I preordered mine, but that was mostly because that way I got the 3G version for the price of the WiFi version (as it turned out, I never used the 3G) and got a free memory card (which I replaced as soon as I got a 32GB one cheap) and a free downloadable game (which, admittedly, is pretty fun). The hardware, oddly enough, is rock solid, which is something I'm still shocked by - launch Sony hardware tends to be dicey.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 19, 2013, 15:32 killer_roach

deqer wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 14:19:
I feel sorry for the people buying the xbone. They will be part of the minority group; a group that everyone will poke fun at.

Glad I didn't preorder one, then - I still get grief over having bought a Vita.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 19, 2013, 15:29 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 18, 2013, 21:13:
And as you mentioned how well MS does even though it fumbles all over it self. Hard to believe the stock hasn't done nothing in years.

Basically because it's maintained about that level of profit for a while now. Profits alone don't tend to drive increases in share prices - but growth in profits does. Also, additionally Microsoft has instituted dividend payouts more recently that are halfway decent, meaning that the stock has only "done nothing" if you aren't reinvesting the dividends.

That tends to be the path of a lot of more "mature" companies - the stock tends not to do a whole lot, but the dividend payments give people returns not unlike what a good savings or money market account would get you back in the day.

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 18, 2013, 20:34 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 18, 2013, 20:26:
killer_roach wrote on Jul 18, 2013, 16:07:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 18, 2013, 10:53:
I for one think Verizon needs to increase their rates, only 6.6b's in a quarter.

$5.4 billion profit in the quarter, on $29.8 billion in revenue.

That's a profit margin of 18.1%, compared to, among other huge companies, 21.7% in the most recent quarter for Apple (9.5 on 43.6) and 37.1% for Microsoft (7.61 on 20.49).

18.1% is amazing. Tons of very large companies are way under 10%.

The bigger they are in terms of revenue, the lower they typically are in terms of profit margins.

I should probably have tried to look for more apt comparisons in the telecom sector, but there aren't many apart from AT&T (which, from looking at their most recent earnings, they're around 12%).

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 18, 2013, 16:07 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 18, 2013, 10:53:
I for one think Verizon needs to increase their rates, only 6.6b's in a quarter.

$5.4 billion profit in the quarter, on $29.8 billion in revenue.

That's a profit margin of 18.1%, compared to, among other huge companies, 21.7% in the most recent quarter for Apple (9.5 on 43.6) and 37.1% for Microsoft (7.61 on 20.49).

(EDIT: Microsoft just issued a new quarterly report today, where they earned 4.97 billion on 19.9 billion in revenue, or a 25% profit margin. Doesn't affect the comparison, but I prefer to deal with current data.)

Of course, on the other end of the spectrum, you have Walmart's 5.7% (6.5 on 113.4) and ExxonMobil's 9.8% (9.5 on 96.9).

If anything, Verizon's profit margin, from looking back previous quarters, was significantly higher this quarter than it's been in the past few years (where it's been typically ~10% or so). As to why that might be, I can't exactly fathom a good guess without really diving into their quarterly SEC report, but I'm going to guess that earnings growth of that type likely indicates a slowing down of capital expenditures (less upgrades to their network).

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2013, 17:06.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: Steam Psychology... Jul 17, 2013, 00:03 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Jul 16, 2013, 23:56:
Asmo wrote on Jul 16, 2013, 23:46:
Are there any parts of that article that actually surprised anyone? I don't think you need to actually study psychology to see a page full of hooks every time you check what's new... =)
But I wonder if valve actually have any psychologists telling them those things, or they just stumbled onto ways to increase their sales after doing it this many years. I remember valve telling us that they experimented with the steam economy without knowing anything they were doing.

Odds are somebody remembered something from a psych class they took to complete their electives in college and tried it out.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
30. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2013, 20:51 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Jul 14, 2013, 13:15:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 14, 2013, 11:24:
Beamer wrote on Jul 14, 2013, 00:36:
Amazon, in almost all cases, will give you the game and eat the ;59.99 as the cost of their mistake.

in interviews they ask you questions along those lines. The answer is almost always eat the loss to make the customer happy, even if you lose millions.

... Because we are making billions.

In revenue, certainly not in profit yet.

Being an Amazon employee and shareholder, I'll own up to working for the most powerful non-profit organization in the world. Pretty much any cost savings go back into the business or to lowering prices.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
8. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jul 13, 2013, 15:16 killer_roach

That's simply repeating the same thing political operatives always say in defeat - hey, it wasn't our ideas that were bad, it was the communication!

Never mind the fact that yes, sometimes it is the ideas... usually the people who trot out this excuse had at least some hand in the communication.

Considering the precedent previously cited, I wonder when Microsoft is going to start blaming the consumers for not knowing what they really want...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2013, 14:58 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 13:09:
Guy was a master at marketing. Selling nothing better for a LOT more.

In all fairness, Bose's enclosures have always been pretty good. The problem was that it's pairing legitimately good enclosures with rather middling drivers.

If only Bose had collaborated with another relatively recently deceased audio mogul, Sidney Harman...

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
3. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 13, 2013, 14:53 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 13:51:
Maybe because it's of working in hospitality but I'm a cash guy. I don't want thieves or the gubment - same thing really - being able to track my spending, find a way to hack my digital account, etc. I never use debit cards and any CC purchases get paid off every month, but I pay for almost everything in cash.

Basically the same reason why mobile payments caught on in Kenya. Rule of law there isn't particularly strong, and people seemed to trust the mobile networks with their money more than they did the banks, the government, or having it themselves (property crime is stunningly high in Kenya, especially in the capital city of Nairobi).

News Comments > Valve Considering U.K. Office?
6. Re: Valve Considering U.K. Office? Jul 11, 2013, 15:00 killer_roach

NeOCidE wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 14:41:
Fed up of ClittyB opening his damn trap. He has something to say and we all must listen.

He's an amoeba floating in a pool of sputum.

I think in this case he's right for the wrong reasons. At this point, Valve is a retailer that happens to pretend to release games every once in a while (although more recently they seem to just buy a studio that's working on a game they like and release it... hello L4D and DOTA2). I don't see how a lengthy development cycle for a top-tier game really helps out their business model, unless it's basically to serve as a marketing vehicle for a next-generation Source engine to license to independent devs...

News Comments > Microsoft Reorganizes
25. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 14:02 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 11:42:
My friends at MS say Ballmer has actually helped fix that culture in recent years, but they may just be buying in to those who pay them.

I've heard that as well, mostly by firing a bunch of project team heads that were trying to use their position as a shot to either a) angle themselves for an executive job (possibly even replace Ballmer) or b) gain enough of a following so that they could jump to another company for more money. Ballmer flushed out a lot of those people basically on grounds of disloyalty.

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Jul 11, 2013, 01:15 killer_roach

sliv wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 00:18:
Alice: Madness Returns on Steam. Save 75%

And yet no plans for a Mac version. Used on PS3 is my only hope, though I doubt I'll find it for $4.99.

If you're a PSN+ subscriber, it's on sale this week for $4, otherwise it's $7.99 on PSN.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Jul 10, 2013, 13:43 killer_roach

As far as another "up and coming indie" bundle, there's also the Groupees Build A Greenlight Bundle 3, which has a handful of games you can pick and choose from as well as some extras ($5.25 or more gets you everything). I think the Indie Royale bundle is slightly better, but for those who prefer quantity over quality, like some more variety, or simply find a title in there that catches your eye (for me, it was the so-bad-it-might-be-vaguely-good racing game Ocean City Racing)... there you go.  

1442 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo