Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1462 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
20. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2013, 19:31 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 14:00:
And Amazon is stupid. Blowing off 30 million potential customers in Canada.

There's two warehouses in Canada, a comparable number per population as what exists in France, Germany, and Japan. Additionally, a good chunk of Canada is serviced by the network of fulfillment centers in the US as well. Seriously, there's not really any logical places to build another facility in Canada other than Quebec.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 22, 2013, 19:32 killer_roach

Redmask wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 19:10:
Motion controls for video games suck, that's why developers aren't interested. No 1:1 control, horrible input latency, people get tired, many gamers are older and don't want to waggle/wave when they get home from the office.

The only good part of Kinect is the microphone for voice recognition commands and you can do that with a $5 microphone. Otherwise it's just an overpriced Skype/avatar device.

I agree, but from Microsoft's perspective a Kinect game is an ironclad exclusive. Hence their attempts to push it as much as is humanly possible.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 22, 2013, 18:55 killer_roach

John wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 17:01:
Tumbler wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 16:18:
The whole "kinect" is optional change is them basically giving up on it. I don't think they can pull it from the boxes they intend to sell so their stuck with selling that $500 box, question is what do they need to throw into it to make people bite.
Bah, they got a few months to design new boxes! Take that junk out and sell a 'basic' version for $400.

I still doubt they do that. Right now they want to encourage more devs to make Kinect games, and their way of promoting that is to tell developers "look! Every XB1 owner has a Kinect!", which would signal to developers that there's an install base large enough to do something other than quick minigame compilations for the device. (Of course, what Microsoft seems to forget is that there's a difference between somebody HAVING a Kinect and WANTING TO USE a Kinect...)

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 22, 2013, 18:52 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 13:06:
Well, that's probably true. There are a lot fewer Vita games, so devs sell more copies. Also, the expectation is that mobile apps are a couple bucks. Vita apps sell for far more, even for the same game. The vast majority of mobile games make no money.

Additionally, while there are some F2P mobile games on Vita, most aren't - which tends to tilt the scales toward "making money" in the numbers that Vita games sell in.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 13, 2013, 20:51 killer_roach

Yeah, this is basically inventory reduction. The new Fires should be out in a month or two, and the current Fire HD is similarly specced to the upcoming Fire (with the Fire HD models getting substantially beefier specs).  

18. Re: Amazon Developing Android Console... Aug 9, 2013, 16:12 killer_roach

Axis wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 12:58:
Amazon has an incredible chance of making it work if ONLY because they are bigtime mainstream.

I'm glad to see it, love competition might make Ouya and other upcoming console nubs move and shake or get out of the way.

Personally, I'd think that they should just have HDMI out and support for Bluetooth controllers in the next Kindle Fire HD, and problem solved. (Especially if you've seen the rumored specs of that device - they're particularly beefy, well beyond what the Ouya is packing.)

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 5, 2013, 19:34 killer_roach

Kitkoan wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 15:51:
DangerDog wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 13:33:
still too expensive for that brick.

I think the biggest issue is the developers made one thing, and the marketers didn't understand and tried to market it as something completely different.

Serious, the Surface Pro is an amazing art and design tablet that if it had been marketed as that would have become the mandatory laptop at any and every art and design school. It can run Photoshop and other full graphics programs, has a 1080p screen with a stylus that is pressure sensitive, has a decent battery life and is ultra portable. There is literally nothing on the market this advanced for art and design.

To bad marketing didn't understand that and tried passing it off as a laptop... Biggest screwup there.

The other problem, as I had mentioned before, is that they tried releasing the RT first, then brought out the Pro, which was a much higher price point than the (already godawfully expensive) Surface RT. If you're trying to approach those sorts of premium price points, what they needed to do was release the Pro first, get people drooling over it, then, when the conversation online starts focusing more on price, you release the RT and go "look! A Surface you can actually (kinda) afford!"

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2013, 19:32 killer_roach

Total-Khaos wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 14:17:
Strango wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 09:37:
Blu-Ray book is a kind of packaging for Blu-Ray movies that looks more like a book with the discs sliding into the "pages".

This. Here is an example showing the book packaging:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81Hm6DBQJBL._SL1500_.jpg

Yep. Warner Brothers have released a crapton of Blu-Ray steelbooks recently as well as a few others with a more traditional hardbound book backing over the years *spying the copies of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and North By Northwest on my movie shelf*

News Comments > Crytek Sites Breached
7. Re: Crytek Sites Breached Aug 3, 2013, 16:18 killer_roach

Acleacius wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 15:29:
Here's hoping they fix the crappy games at crytek

Seems like the game sites aren't affected at all - this was likely an attempt to steal financial information and/or possibly game assets from developers licensing CryEngine.

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 1, 2013, 21:43 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 14:38:
This is PR - pushed by MS obviously - to try and get people to see the "benefits" of being always online. And it's a load of horseshit. Even on DSL whenever I connected to anything online for MS' network my ping as always 150-250ms. So how the fuck is their cloud going to help my game with that sort of latency? Those cockbags may not be lying outright but they're certainly being disingenuous by not telling the whole truth.

Yeah, exactly. It's not that it's doing that much more for AI calculations, it's just that it gives the game that many more data points from which the AI can process from. It does improve the system, sure, but how they word it makes it sound like it's providing some sort of performance boost, which it isn't. In fact, depending on how it's coded, it could likely make the whole thing slower.

News Comments > Flatland: Fallen Angle for Free
5. Re: Flatland: Fallen Angle for Free Aug 1, 2013, 20:31 killer_roach

Cynips wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 20:28:
Had no problems. Using 7-Zip.

Ah, just went back to the site and saw that they had fixed the file.

EDIT: Love it when I get ninja'd by the developer.

News Comments > Flatland: Fallen Angle for Free
2. Re: Flatland: Fallen Angle for Free Aug 1, 2013, 20:15 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 18:08:
The zip file for the Flatland game is corrupt, as far as I can tell.

You are correct. Attempting to have WinRAR repair the archive, we'll see if that succeeds. Otherwise, the archive corruption seems to be affecting the file sharedassets4.assets, and nothing else.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: Humble Weekly Sale: 1C Company Aug 1, 2013, 20:12 killer_roach

LittleMe wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 18:53:
John wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 17:00:
Hmm, is Men of War any good?

Yes. It's like a hardcore RTS version of the more casual/arcadey Company of Heroes. The original Men of War has good coop missions, while Assault Squad is MP PvP focused. I think Red Tide was a dud.

Judging from Metacritic scores, all three of them score pretty similar, whereas the two not in the bundle are either somewhat lower (Vietnam) or far lower (Condemned Heroes).

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: Humble Weekly Sale: 1C Company Aug 1, 2013, 18:34 killer_roach

John wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 17:00:
Hmm, is Men of War any good?

Haven't put a lot of time into those games, but I remember them being at least decent.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 31, 2013, 21:54 killer_roach

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 21:02:
And the PS4 COULD give me a blowjob 20% better then the XBone. The problem is, is it going to take some sort of dedicated PS4 dev to squeeze the juicy out of the system to get better performance then the XBone, like the PS3/360?

The PS4 and XBone have almost the exact same architecture. If anything, it might be more difficult to extract maximum performance out of the Xbone than the PS4 thanks to the vagaries of optimizing for their DRAM cache (which is meant to cover for their deficient GPU).

News Comments > Capcom Financials
5. Re: Capcom Financials Jul 31, 2013, 21:51 killer_roach

LittleMe wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 15:01:
killer_roach wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 14:27:
I'm just shocked they're in the black.

Yeah me too, but I'm glad they're still around. There have been some games of theirs that I've enjoyed and want to see their MMO's stick around. They're not part of EA or Actibliz, right? Thankfully...

Nope, they aren't (which is how I was able to figure out their market cap - they are self-contained).

Then again, they're too large for EA to snap up, although would be pretty easily snapped up by Activision Blizzard (a company with a market cap nearly twenty times Capcom's size).

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad
24. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 15:03 killer_roach

mag wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 13:32:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 12:55:
Overrated. The original RoT only got some attention because of its excessive violence and brutality. Other than this shock & awe factor the game didn't really stand out in any way. It was a fairly average/mediocre corridor shooter in terms of game-/gunplay, level design, "story" (LOL), graphics and sound.

It was a pioneer in terms of multiplayer. 11 player deathmatch, TONS of different multiplayer modes, bizarre and amusing weapons.

Yeah, I was about to say - the original RotT had more unique weapons to it than about 90% the FPS genre put together (and that's not even including some of the pickup items like Dog Mode, Shrooms Mode Powerdown, and the like).

News Comments > Take-Two Q1 Results
6. Re: Take-Two Q1 Results Jul 31, 2013, 14:32 killer_roach

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 13:38:
Fluctuations are normal for them, but they're still on the plus side for the past year. That and the nearly 2/3 of a billion cash they're sitting on, tells me they're alright.

Bullseye. Even if they kept having quarters like this one, they'd still be okay for the next three years or so. (Also, it seems like Q1 is always just a rough one for them due to their release calendar.) Liquidity cures a lot of ills.

News Comments > Capcom Financials
3. Re: Capcom Financials Jul 31, 2013, 14:27 killer_roach

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 12:58:
So lets make Dead Rising 3 a Xbone exclusive! Surely that'll help our financial struggles!

Considering how little they've been up to as of late, the fact that they're still profitable astounds me. (The decline in profit is a bit worrisome, but that could simply be a function of the decline in revenue - not like they were especially profitable before.)

From the perspective of investment, though, the margins aren't good and their earnings relative to their size (their market cap is about $1.2 billion, just a bit smaller than Ubisoft) are pretty meager. But, like I said before, I'm just shocked they're in the black.

News Comments > Fez II Cancelled
38. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 28, 2013, 19:55 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 19:48:
nin wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 19:42:
First: I think he makes Fez 2. In fact, I think this is all just a stupid stunt. Call me cynical.

I think he's just incredibly thin skinned. He needs to learn to cope with shit and not get upset when total strangers say things he doesn't care for. To act the way he does is very juvenile.

But I expect him to be back working on the game soon...be very surprised if he didn't.

this isn't thin skin. Look at this topic. Anything anyone ever says to or about him is obscenely negative. That adds up.

then again, he does ask for it. No denying that. But I wouldn't call it thin skin. Every topic about him here has someone calling for him to die in a fire.

also not a publicity stunt, just him being full of drama and emotional.

He's also opened himself up to a lot of this stuff with his past behavior. Not that he necessarily deserves it, but he did seem to make a career out of baiting some of the most irrational corners of the Internet. It shouldn't come as much of a surprise when those people then show what they're made of right back to him.

1462 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo