Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1453 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Hardware Prototype Details
43. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 5, 2013, 11:33 killer_roach

siapnar wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 10:56:
MattyC wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 08:34:
I guess it isn't that expensive, but 16GB of RAM seems a bit over the top to me. I cannot imagine needing that much.
I have 16 gb and yes, it's overkill. 8 will suffice for pretty much everything.
The difference is negligible

That being said, for the cost that RAM is anymore, why not go 16?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Hardware Prototype Details
6. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 16:49 killer_roach

{PH}88fingers wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 16:45:
a Titan and or GTX 780 works with that 450W power supply??

So long as your power supply is highly efficient and you have a rather lean motherboard chipset, I'd say it's possible. Titan and the 780 can only peak at 300W as per the ATX and PCIe specs, which means you've still got 150W left for everything else even if the GPU is pegged. Figure 25W for the motherboard logic, 60W for the CPU, 10W for optical and hard drives (as you're unlikely to be maxing both out simultaneously), and 5W for RAM, and you're left with 50W for cooling and system overhead. It's cutting it close, and you have no room for overclocking, but if everything's within specs you can do it.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 3, 2013, 20:58 killer_roach

Quboid wrote on Oct 3, 2013, 20:41:
Beamer wrote on Oct 3, 2013, 19:29:
The Verge discussing this exact topic.

That's interesting. They seem to think they're making a case against this being a gimmick, but they don't actually give any reasons why someone buying a high end phone right now should give one single solitary damn.

It's good that 64-bit is being adopted and kudos to Apple for leading the way but as a selling point for current phones, it's a gimmick.

The major change will likely come with Samsung's next generation of Exynos SoCs, which could very likely end up having 4-6GB of RAM (current Samsung devices use 2-3GB). Then again, they're likely to be fashioning their next series of processors off of A57 and ARMv8 as well, meaning that ARM's efforts at futureproofing will come in handy in short order.

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 3, 2013, 14:29 killer_roach

SirKnight wrote on Oct 3, 2013, 09:33:
More butthurt BS spew from Qualcomm. How surprising!

There's nothing gimmicky about A7 at all. The benchmarks show it to be quite fast and this is due to the newer very efficient ARM arch, which happens to also be 64bit. This arch being 64bit is ARM's doing, not Apple's.

Basically A7 is faster partly due to optimizations in the ARM A57 ISA and partly due to software optimizations in iOS 7 (the new browser, for instance, is absurdly fast, and it makes even the old iPhone 5 competitive with high-end Android smartphones on HTML5 benchmarks). 64-bit has nothing to do with that, although that's what Apple is marketing on.

In fact, the only reason to go to a pure 64-bit processor right now is to address beyond 4GB of memory - seeing as the A7 SoC only uses 1GB, and I highly doubt a theoretical A7X in the next iPad goes beyond 2GB, it'll be a while before that barrier is an issue for Apple. (I know some will point out certain data processing tasks that are improved by the use of 64-bit computing, but most of those are already handled in ARM processors by the NEON extensions, a set of 128-bit operations comparable to the SSE instructions on x86 CPUs.)

News Comments > More Steam Greenlights
2. Re: More Steam Greenlights Oct 2, 2013, 23:26 killer_roach

nin wrote on Oct 2, 2013, 21:05:
Cool that Hyper Light Drifter made it. Love the art style.

Wasn't familiar with that one until now, but am definitely loving that Superbrothers-meets-Another World vibe that the art has.

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: Game Reviews Sep 28, 2013, 16:41 killer_roach

Jerykk wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 07:47:
Would like to see more reviews of Shadow Warrior. Did Digital Devolver not send out review copies or something? There are usually tons of reviews at launch but not this time. It would make sense if the game was crap but the impressions I've read thus far have been mostly positive.

Most of the critical reviews are mixed, but even in being mixed they seem positive (they complain about the game being too much of a throwback more often than not... fine by me). The fan response seems quite positive, though.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 28, 2013, 01:53 killer_roach

mlw wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 21:48:
Good riddance to the Buffoon Balmer. What an embarrassment that guy was! Gates screwed up Royally.

I don't think Gates would have been any better. Keep in mind he married the woman largely responsible for creating Microsoft Bob.

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Sep 28, 2013, 00:45 killer_roach

netnerd85 wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 13:44:
it's one of the best Unreal Engine games I've seen.

Okay, now you're just being ridiculous.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 27, 2013, 18:50 killer_roach

wtf_man wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 14:08:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 11:04:
Ballmer was a salesman. I hope they get an Engineer or maybe UI Designer as CEO next.

So you want the main creator of the ribbon and tile interfeces as the CEO??? (Julie Larson-Green)

Uhm... No Thanks.

She's considered to be the most likely successor.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin in February
1. Re: Divinity: Original Sin in February Sep 26, 2013, 20:48 killer_roach

Had to read the rest of the text, as the first line made me believe that they were somehow releasing the game in the past...  

News Comments > Early Word on Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access
18. Re: Early Word on Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Sep 26, 2013, 19:59 killer_roach

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 18:08:
So excited for this. I backed it for 30 so got 2 copies and the other cool stuff between 15 and 30.

Original site here.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stainlessgames/carmageddon-reincarnation

That's what I backed it for as well. (At the time I backed, the GOG reward wasn't known yet, so I've gotten that as well as free versions for iOS and Android, so I'd consider that exceptional value for the money, despite the fact that they badly missed their initial release date.)

News Comments > Evening Interviews
12. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 25, 2013, 00:18 killer_roach

Paranoid Jack wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 00:00:
I haven't gotten anything from any KickStarter yet other than Conclave. I better start checking in on these projects. I guess I shouldn't just assume they are going to give me what is due?

So far of the game projects I've backed:

Torment Tides of Numenera - Nothing yet
Crayon Chronicles - Delivered
Project Eternity - Nothing yet
Pinball Arcade tables - Delivered
Carmageddon Reincarnation - Part received
Grim Dawn - Alpha access granted
Chuck's Challenge 3D - Beta access granted
Valdis Story: Abyssal City - Delivered
Shadowrun Returns - Delivered (included physical goods)
The Banner Saga - Nothing other than the F2P promo version
Faster Than Light - Delivered
Wasteland 2 - Nothing yet
Broken Age - Nothing yet

My non-game projects I've backed have all delivered, oddly enough.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
10. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 24, 2013, 20:49 killer_roach

El Pit wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 08:57:
Prez wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 08:50:
Only half of the gaming press there were backers of Fargo's 'Wasteland 2'? It should have been all of them!

You expect the guys from XBox and PS3 mags to support a pc game? Dream on!

I think you'd be shocked how many of those guys were backers - I'd wager it was comparable percentage to the PC gaming press.

We all start somewhere...

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
3. Re: Sunday Consolidation Sep 22, 2013, 19:01 killer_roach

Julio wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 13:11:
I'm surprised there are Xbox 360s that are still alive that were made in 2006-2008.

My 2008 360 is still alive, although I sold it to my brother and got a 360 S when it came out. Still runs for him, though.

News Comments > Flight of the Amazon Queen for Free
6. Re: Flight of the Amazon Queen for Free Sep 21, 2013, 15:15 killer_roach

Orogogus wrote on Sep 21, 2013, 13:27:
No, what he's getting at is that these two games have already been free for years.

The question for some of them has been at times how well previous free releases ran on modern operating systems. (For instance, I don't remember Stargunner working properly on Win7 before without having to muck around with tools yourself, which is something that GOG manages to take care of for you.)

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 18, 2013, 22:01 killer_roach

Fantaz wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 12:28:
it's funny how Tegra 4 is pretty much outdated now... Snapdragon 800 is way better, and also Samsung Exynos maybe other chips as well.

Tegra 4 hasn't even shown up in any devices yet other than Shield... that being said, it gets smoked in GPU performance by Snapdragon 800 (CPU is closer, however - oddly enough, Nvidia's mobile SoCs seem to have good CPUs and crap GPUs). Exynos 5420 is probably better, although I haven't seen comparison benchmarks there, and Apple's A7 is surprisingly beastly for a dual-core CPU.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 18, 2013, 20:41 killer_roach

Not sure what they mean by "no GTA V digital for PS3 40GB"... just install a larger hard drive, and problem solved.

Also, there are digitally distributed titles for PS3 even larger than GTA V... the largest I've come across was pushing 30GB, if I recall. That would likely not install on a 60GB hard drive, much less a 40.

Just glad I have a 750GB PS3 here...

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Sep 12, 2013, 22:57 killer_roach

Kosh401 wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 22:20:
Battlefield 4 + Premium for 25% off aint too shabby..

Except that's EA, and it has gone on deeper discounts than that on Origin.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Sep 12, 2013, 22:55 killer_roach

Domgrief wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 06:19:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 11, 2013, 21:34:
Another great humble bundle. I own almost all those games already though, curses.

True, but if you're looking for a bargain, it's still a good deal even if you have all but one of the games.

And if you like paying a lot more than the minimum, you get a great opportunity to give money to the developers again, donate some money to charity, and get the games DRM free. Everybody wins!

I bought it for Eets Munchies and for DRM-free copies of Trine 2 and Mark of the Ninja.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
19. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 11, 2013, 19:38 killer_roach

Tumbler wrote on Sep 11, 2013, 17:56:
Wish there was a way to list things for sale on Amazon to people in Argentina!

Import duties would likely put the price back up to that, if not higher.

Argentina and Brazil both tax the ever-loving hell out of most anything they consider to be a "luxury product", which seems to be classified as "anything that a middle-class American would like that a South American laborer can't buy."

1453 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo