Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1448 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
6. Re: Saturday Consolidation Oct 26, 2013, 16:23 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 14:29:
That's really strange about the censorship in the Japanese version of GTA. Japanese media is no stranger to both gratuitous nudity and explicit violence (Very NSFW example here. The fun starts at 0 seconds). TV, for example, is much more permissive about nudity especially, and only full frontal is explicitly banned.

Maybe they were shooting for some kind of rating more permissible to yung'uns?

Japan has different regulations for interactive media.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
12. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 26, 2013, 01:50 killer_roach

I'd argue the value of console games on PC is simply that it reduces the demand of the consoles themselves - it's easier to be exclusively a PC gamer now than ever before, and with that locked-in audience comes a market that developers have to at least pay cursory attention to. Yes, a lot of console ports are pretty shoddy, unoptimized dross that insult the average person's intelligence (realizing the average person probably lacks intelligence of any substantial sort), but it doesn't change the fact that they go a long ways to making the consoles superfluous.  

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 25, 2013, 23:53 killer_roach

Rea1One wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 23:06:
Hopefully Ouya 2.0 skips over Tegra 4 and goes with Tegra 5.

Or, better yet, some mobile SoC with a halfway-decent GPU (the Adreno 330 in Snapdragon 800 is about 35% faster than the GeForce in Tegra 4, and the PowerVR G6430 in Apple's A7 is about 80% faster)...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 25, 2013, 23:38 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 12:35:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 12:31:
I want to thank amazon for basically giving away their products at cost... All those billions sold, no profit for them.

It's not clever accounting, either - Amazon legitimately loses money every day.

It's amazing what being incredibly smart about your business model and growth, despite losses, can do to keep a company thriving despite repeatedly spending more than it earns.

Basically it amounts to that Amazon loses money because they spend so much money beefing up their infrastructure and entering new markets. If they ever decided to stop doing that, they could be putting up decent-sized profits (~$400-700 million a quarter, possibly cracking a billion in Q4s), but their focus is to continually do more for the customers, which in turn drives revenue growth, which gives them more money to spend on improving service. And Wall Street seems largely okay with this, mostly because a) they can get the profits whenever they want by scaling expansion back, and b) in some ways, AMZN's shareholders are getting their dividends through increased consumer surplus as customers of the company.

News Comments > Dark Matter Follow-up: Interwave a "Sleeping Company" - New Studio Fixing Ending
4. Re: Dark Matter Follow-up: Interwave a Oct 23, 2013, 17:11 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 16:57:
Oh fellas just give it up. We've seen the needle and the damage done. The milk has been spilled. The water is long under the bridge. Forget it about move forward.

Honestly, I'm almost curious to play the game now... too bad it's almost completely off the market anymore, although I'm pretty sure I wouldn't buy it at MSRP.

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 21, 2013, 23:00 killer_roach

siapnar wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 21:54:
Killzone looks pretty cool, but it looks like the same old gameplay.

GT6's graphics are really, really mundane.
I never felt the GT games were a great depiction of real driving, either.
Richard Burns Rally is the most realistic driving game I've played as far as I'm concerned

GT does pretty good with driving physics - it's the whole racing thing they have problems with.

That and UI. Damn, the interface in GT5 is appalling.

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 18, 2013, 19:57 killer_roach

anime is great! wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 19:54:
PS4's Need for Speed Rivals more visually impressive than PC version

Welp, PC gaming is dead. Pack it up.

The NFS games have been pretty poorly ported to PC for years now - poor framerates, inferior textures and geometry, the whole nine yards.

News Comments > Anachronox on Steam
1. Re: Anachronox on Steam Oct 17, 2013, 21:18 killer_roach

The more places to get this game, the better. It's one of the most underrated classics of all time.  

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2013, 16:14 killer_roach

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 15:45:
They didn't 'leave' technically but there was a game drought between 2000 and 2006 as game dev costs and developer teams exploded in size. Let's not forget Halo was originally a PC game and became an xbox 1 exclusive. Companies like EPIC games completely abandoned the PC, compare Unreal 2004 to unreal 3, and then we just had endless gears. Think about this: Epics last best PC game was UT 2004. Bulletstorm was just gears of war style console trash - lets face this. The whole game was just one giant one-off and the game mechanics were totally fucking unfinished compared to older games like UT2004.

So for almost a decade we got severely underfunded half-baked mediocre games and ports mostly outside of first person shooters.

Supreme commander 1 could have been a real next gen RTS but because of the fuckups at THQ with Udraw (I believe it was called). They could no longer properly fund games like Darksiders/Supcom/etc. So they all ended up not being as great as they could have been. Darksiders 2 was just such a boring trash game and you can feel it with the whole MMO/WoW style layout and weird diablo RPG elements, while cool don't add anything to the actual fun of the game.

Darksiders 1 was really an action game not zelda, and DS2 tried to move in a more MMO direction (fucking idiotic morons the designers are). They don't know which genre Darksiders 1 truly belonged to. DS1 is basically a beat-em-up with swords, instead they try to turn it into pseudo combination of Wow and zelda, like the morons they are.

No offense, but you sound like the poster child of what's wrong with the PC gaming community.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 11, 2013, 21:12 killer_roach

mch wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 16:53:
mag wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 16:36:
Does the 360 have any decent non-FPS games that aren't either available on the PC or PS3?

I've heard people say that Forza is a worthy competitor to (or better than) Gran Turismo, but I've never played it personally.

That was a really interesting point though - I had to look up a list of exclusives. And wow.

Forza is a better racing game than Gran Turismo, but it's not anywhere near as good of a simulator. It plays all kinds of fast and loose with driving physics, but it works well as a game.

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 9, 2013, 23:50 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 22:06:
ColecoVision retro console games seeking revival via Kickstarter.

Choplifter, Jumpman, Montezuma's Revenge, and Zaxxon were all great games in their day. Not sure they'd hold up today though.

Well, Choplifter had a remake not that long ago, and there was a version of Zaxxon that was released recently on Android and iOS...

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 9, 2013, 23:49 killer_roach

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 22:40:
Hell I remember TNG costing 1 mill per episode but 3.5 per episode with no CGI/FX? O_O

Post-processing is much more expensive now, not to mention you had to pay Cranston whatever he commanded.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
18. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 9, 2013, 19:59 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 15:28:
He was still wrong, the Cell was nowhere near as powerful as Sony repeatedly said it was (and, it appears, they actually thought it was), but it isn't as ludicrous as to have someone say a PC doesn't need a GPU. The Cell was totally different than anything Intel was doing and would be much more capable sans-GPU than anything Intel had.

The biggest issue that it had was simply that the gap between theoretical peak performance and typical peak operating performance was massive due to the architecture of the SPEs. Yes, the floating point performance was absolutely ludicrous, but it took quite a bit of optimization to get much beyond 20% of the theoretical peak, and it's possible that due to constraints of memory bandwidth you could never fully saturate the SPEs with instructions for more than a cycle or two. If they could have figured out how to keep the SPEs busy all the time, they would have had XB1-like floating point performance, but doing so would have required memory that only now is starting to become available in OEM channels (and is still quite expensive). Even still, floating point alone doesn't make for a good GPU, but it sure helps. (As a thought exercise you could probably have envisioned something like a 24-SPE Cell with the same GDDR5 that's going in the PS4 could have been a beastly system even today, but pretty much any programmer apart from the most dedicated CompSci boffin would simply go "screw this" at the prospect of coding for it.)

News Comments > Half-Life 3 EU TM Removed
13. Re: Half-Life 3 EU TM Removed Oct 5, 2013, 20:06 killer_roach

yuastnav wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 19:45:
Pff, just rename it to Half Life Forever or something, say that you'll have to restart development because the engine you are currently using for that game is outdated and you want to make a new one and then, in about ten years, outsource that things to Gearbox (if they even still exist by then).

... what, too soon?

But Valve's already outsourced a HL game to Gearbox...

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 5, 2013, 13:30 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 13:05:
I'm sure the US would win teh hax/griefing side.

Well, being on Xbone it should be a bit of a US advantage, as Microsoft's consoles don't sell as well in Europe...

...that being said, youth unemployment in Europe is markedly higher than it is here, so they've got more time to practice.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Prototype Details
43. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 5, 2013, 11:33 killer_roach

siapnar wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 10:56:
MattyC wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 08:34:
I guess it isn't that expensive, but 16GB of RAM seems a bit over the top to me. I cannot imagine needing that much.
I have 16 gb and yes, it's overkill. 8 will suffice for pretty much everything.
The difference is negligible

That being said, for the cost that RAM is anymore, why not go 16?

News Comments > Steam Hardware Prototype Details
6. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 16:49 killer_roach

{PH}88fingers wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 16:45:
a Titan and or GTX 780 works with that 450W power supply??

So long as your power supply is highly efficient and you have a rather lean motherboard chipset, I'd say it's possible. Titan and the 780 can only peak at 300W as per the ATX and PCIe specs, which means you've still got 150W left for everything else even if the GPU is pegged. Figure 25W for the motherboard logic, 60W for the CPU, 10W for optical and hard drives (as you're unlikely to be maxing both out simultaneously), and 5W for RAM, and you're left with 50W for cooling and system overhead. It's cutting it close, and you have no room for overclocking, but if everything's within specs you can do it.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 3, 2013, 20:58 killer_roach

Quboid wrote on Oct 3, 2013, 20:41:
Beamer wrote on Oct 3, 2013, 19:29:
The Verge discussing this exact topic.

That's interesting. They seem to think they're making a case against this being a gimmick, but they don't actually give any reasons why someone buying a high end phone right now should give one single solitary damn.

It's good that 64-bit is being adopted and kudos to Apple for leading the way but as a selling point for current phones, it's a gimmick.

The major change will likely come with Samsung's next generation of Exynos SoCs, which could very likely end up having 4-6GB of RAM (current Samsung devices use 2-3GB). Then again, they're likely to be fashioning their next series of processors off of A57 and ARMv8 as well, meaning that ARM's efforts at futureproofing will come in handy in short order.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 3, 2013, 14:29 killer_roach

SirKnight wrote on Oct 3, 2013, 09:33:
More butthurt BS spew from Qualcomm. How surprising!

There's nothing gimmicky about A7 at all. The benchmarks show it to be quite fast and this is due to the newer very efficient ARM arch, which happens to also be 64bit. This arch being 64bit is ARM's doing, not Apple's.

Basically A7 is faster partly due to optimizations in the ARM A57 ISA and partly due to software optimizations in iOS 7 (the new browser, for instance, is absurdly fast, and it makes even the old iPhone 5 competitive with high-end Android smartphones on HTML5 benchmarks). 64-bit has nothing to do with that, although that's what Apple is marketing on.

In fact, the only reason to go to a pure 64-bit processor right now is to address beyond 4GB of memory - seeing as the A7 SoC only uses 1GB, and I highly doubt a theoretical A7X in the next iPad goes beyond 2GB, it'll be a while before that barrier is an issue for Apple. (I know some will point out certain data processing tasks that are improved by the use of 64-bit computing, but most of those are already handled in ARM processors by the NEON extensions, a set of 128-bit operations comparable to the SSE instructions on x86 CPUs.)

News Comments > More Steam Greenlights
2. Re: More Steam Greenlights Oct 2, 2013, 23:26 killer_roach

nin wrote on Oct 2, 2013, 21:05:
Cool that Hyper Light Drifter made it. Love the art style.

Wasn't familiar with that one until now, but am definitely loving that Superbrothers-meets-Another World vibe that the art has.

1448 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo