Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1471 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
21. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 7, 2013, 20:30 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 20:22:
killer_roach wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 17:27:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 14:25:
Watch Our Exclusive Teardown of the PlayStation 4.

That CPU fan looks pretty small.

The CPUs aren't exactly using much power in either the PS4 or the Xbone. Eight-core AMD design at 1.6-1.8 GHz? Probably tops out at about 35W TDP. Not exactly much to stress a decently-designed cooling fan.

I think your 35W TDP is way off. The chip is a CPU/GPU combo, with a 8 core piledriver CPU and the equivalaent of a 7850 GPU. A 3.3 GHz piledriver has a TDP of 95 watts; let's assume they're running it at half speed for a TDP of 50 watts. The 7850 has a TDP of about 100 watts. So that 150 watts. That might be a bit high, since they're probably getting some efficiencies in combining them into a single APU, but given the kind of graphics they're pushing, a TDP of 35 watts seems much, much too low. I'd say we're probably somewhere in the 130-140 range.

Half speed usually uses less than half power, plus you're not taking into account the possibility of specifically binned chips or a minor redesign for power.

As far as I'm aware, the main GPU is distinct from the CPU, and the GPU cores in the CPU are more like what's in the A6-class APUs, Considering these, it's probably not all that high of a power consumption mark on the CPU itself.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 7, 2013, 19:10 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 18:42:
killer_roach wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 17:27:

The CPUs aren't exactly using much power in either the PS4 or the Xbone. Eight-core AMD design at 1.6-1.8 GHz? Probably tops out at about 35W TDP. Not exactly much to stress a decently-designed cooling fan.

So how many Passmarks are we suspecting this thing to do, around 5000?

My best guess? Probably in the 3750-4250 range.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Nov 7, 2013, 18:13 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 15:22:
I think it could be pretty cool to put CoD in space. Instead of helos, you could have armed command modules thrusting around 0G. Land battles could take place in space suits on the surface of the moon, in bases on Mars, etc. You could have armed rovers and such instead of tanks. I think there's a lot of potential for new gameplay mechanics with a setting like this, even if it is CoD.

The problem remains, of course, that it's CoD devs that are making it.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 7, 2013, 17:27 killer_roach

News Comments > Australian Ratings Reconsidered for 12 Games
7. Re: Australian Ratings Reconsidered for 12 Games Nov 7, 2013, 17:23 killer_roach

Talisorn wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 15:36:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 12:49:
And yet Manhunt remains at MA15+. I'll never understand Australian thinking.

I'm pretty sure that Manhunt is RC.

Yeah. I don't remember for sure on the original, but Manhunt 2 was definitely RC.

News Comments > Grim Dawn Early Access
22. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 17:22 killer_roach

Optional nickname wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 09:48:
will GD final 1.0 be out before year's end? or are we looking at early 2014? and what is the frequency that the team would implement major changes from this early access stage?

More like mid-late 2014, possibly early 2015. Very small team working on this one.

They do make semi-frequent changes based on feedback, though - they've been pretty responsive to things like that.

News Comments > etc., etc.
8. Re: Microsoft promises blablabla Nov 6, 2013, 23:06 killer_roach

wtf_man wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 21:40:
Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 20:41:
I give Microsoft the well-deserved five dismissive wanks. Shove those games up your ass, Peleno.

Windows 8... which is a double fuck off, for me.

Even still, while Titanfall looks cool and Project Spark may have some promise, I won't hold my breath until we start seeing Halo and Forza on Windows. Until then, it's basically just table scraps.

Side note: I find it weird that there are more downloadable titles console-exclusive to the PS3 on Steam than there are 360-exclusive XBLA titles on Steam (well, excluding XBLIG)...

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Nov 5, 2013, 19:15 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 00:47:
killer_roach wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 00:31:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 21:51:
Amazon discounts Kindles to commemorate FAA devices-during-takeoff-landing rulechange.

That's actually kind of brilliant marketing.

Still, I wonder if they'll be even cheaper on Black Friday.

That's even cheaper than I got my HDX for, and I work for Amazon. Regardless, that's a pretty good price for that thing - it's seriously impressive.

10% off your first $1000 doesn't go very far, haha.

Tell me about it. (And then there's the sales tax added back on...)

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Nov 5, 2013, 00:31 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 21:51:
Amazon discounts Kindles to commemorate FAA devices-during-takeoff-landing rulechange.

That's actually kind of brilliant marketing.

Still, I wonder if they'll be even cheaper on Black Friday.

That's even cheaper than I got my HDX for, and I work for Amazon. Regardless, that's a pretty good price for that thing - it's seriously impressive.

News Comments > Next Car Game Kickstarter
13. Re: Next Car Game Kickstarter Nov 3, 2013, 18:39 killer_roach

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 01:47:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 19:15:
Blur is the last original, AAA racing game I can think of and it sold poorly.

The reason Blur sold poorly was because it was rehash of mario kart with realistic cars. There was nothing really new or different to make it stand out.

Split/Second came out the same time, and, like Blur, it was reviewed reasonably well, sold poorly, and resulted in the demise of the studio that created it.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Love Gigabit Seattle? Nov 1, 2013, 20:42 killer_roach

merc248 wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 15:11:
I'm in the Seattle area - both McGinn and Murray are Democratic. The general consensus is that McGinn is all for gigabit internet, reforming the police force, more bike lanes, better public transit (and expansion of the light rail service), etc. Murray is generally anti-McGinn, and his only platform so far seems to be, 'yeah, well, we're going to stop the bike lanes from expanding, and McGinn is divisive.'

Lots of folks have been huge fans of McGinn around here, so I've huge confidence that he'll win the mayoral race again.

Yeah, that's pretty typical among large city mayoral races - the primary just narrows the field to two, regardless of party, and often means you have two Democrats going against each other in the general election (saw that all too often as a former Cleveland resident... then again, there you'd get two Democratic candidates partly because the primary was all Democrats).

News Comments > Blizzard Offers Free Blackthorne
3. Re: Blizzard Offers Free Blackthorne Nov 1, 2013, 20:37 killer_roach

It's actually a step better - just go into the Game Downloads page even if you don't have a Battle.net account, and download it from there without ever having to sign up. Just downloaded it and started playing, no login required.  

News Comments > The 7th Guest 3 Announced
9. Re: The 7th Guest 3 Announced Oct 31, 2013, 16:34 killer_roach

BitWraith wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 16:25:
The game you're referring to was "Phantasmagoria" by Sierra Online, written by Roberta Williams.

I have that game on CD. It came on like 7 or 8 of em.

Yeah, seven CDs. Was pretty insane back in the day.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: iPad Air’s A7 chip is identical to the iPhone’s, just faster. Oct 31, 2013, 01:35 killer_roach

DrSquick wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 14:57:
Yeah I think that's like saying an i5 Haswell 3.0Ghz chip is the same as an i5 Haswell 3.5Ghz chip. They are, just one runs at a higher clock rate.

This is actually somewhat unusual for Apple, though - typically the SoC used in the iPad has some noticeable structural advantages over the iPhone part. The bare minimum has been a faster CPU and GPU, and often the iPad SoC has a GPU significantly beyond the phone version (usually by adding more processing units). The fact that the only difference is a 100MHz bump to CPU clock and reduced thermal throttling is rather un-Apple.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 30, 2013, 20:39 killer_roach

Redmask wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 19:57:
NKD wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 19:28:
PS4 will not play MP3s, will not support connecting external storage such as flash drives, and will not stream media from other devices like your PC.

Hate to do it, but I think I might be switching to Xbone. I don't like having a lot of devices hooked to my TV and a lot of remotes floating around, so I need one box that can do it all.

Unfortunately that's the Xbone. Fuck.

You can put a larger hard drive into the PS4 in lieu of external storage support which will probably come after the launch at some point. Yoshida said hes talking to the dev team about getting DLNA support in, I think they probably thought no one cared since most TVs do it these days. Mp3s I didn't realize anyone actually used their console for anymore.

I wouldn't buy either console right away if your main concern is media playback though, we have no idea how either one will shake out. Microsoft so far has been quiet on local file playback and DLNA. At launch the PS3 and 360 had pretty poor playback support.

I used to use my PS3 a lot for DLNA stuff... anymore I just run Plex and start watching videos on my Kindle Fire HDX.

News Comments > EA Earnings
14. Re: EA Earnings Oct 29, 2013, 23:29 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 23:21:
You're right. But it's loss after loss for a long time now...And Gaap or no Gaap Revenue is Revenue and overall it is down YOY. Not sure what's so exciting about that? No? And if one doesn't want to touch that... We still can babble about overall revenue per platform, that's still fun to do???

They've spent 2008-11 expanding and from there on trying to shed the weight they put on... I'd say the trajectory is a healthier one.

As for the declining revenue, you have to keep two things in mind - one, their smaller size means they aren't releasing as many games anymore, and two, Madden 25 was a bit of a sales disappointment for them.

I'd still say the trajectory is positive, but you are right in the fact that they're basically right now having to undo years of costly mistakes.

12. Re: EA Earnings Oct 29, 2013, 23:17 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 21:48:
Strong Results?

695 Million in sales for the quarter, slightly lower than last year.
Throw in expenses...
273 Million Dollar LOSS (Last Year 381 Loss)

Xbox Rev - 167 Mil
PS3 Rev - 131 Mil
PC Rev - 274 Mil (And we still don't get some sports games)
Wii rev $32 dollars, lol. jk

YOY the consoles down 15%.
PC up again at, what is that you say, oh my 28%!

Oh yes and the Holy Mobile market 75 Milion. FLAT YOY. LOL!!

I wouldn't say these are great #'s overall. Seems like they should be bowing to PC gamers demands.

When GAAP and non-GAAP numbers vary that wildly, that's a sign of major accounting charges, as is a sign of a company that's restructuring. This shouldn't come as a surprise when they've closed studios and laid off staff, that's basically where the numbers diverge. As a result, there's a reason why they're focusing more on non-GAAP numbers and why investors are taking the earnings report as very good news. After all, once those charges are past them, it's putting them in a better situation going forward.

Additionally, there's reasons why gamers should probably avoid the business side of things. Most of them seem to know precious little about it.

7. Re: EA Earnings Oct 29, 2013, 20:32 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 20:08:
Wow, a cool $bil. Regardless of how I feel about EA in general, that's impressive.

Yeah, that EPS number came out of nowhere - forward guidance has EA taking in a profit of about 45 cents a share for the next four quarters, so 33 cents in one is unusually strong. It's likely a one-off that is primarily due to some massive corporate blood-letting in recent months, but they seem to be moving in the direction of a more focused company, which can only help them in the long run.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
16. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 27, 2013, 20:24 killer_roach

nin wrote on Oct 27, 2013, 19:12:
I miss the Project Gotham games...they were awesome.

There's some rumors that Microsoft might resurrect the Project Gotham series with Playground (the Forza Horizon devs) at the helm (as Playground is mostly staffed by ex-Bizarre employees)... we'll see. It'd pique my interest, that's for sure.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
13. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 27, 2013, 19:10 killer_roach

Hellbinder wrote on Oct 27, 2013, 18:38:
"" at least Forza 5 has been confirmed to be running at 1080p/60fps""

uh no its not. its impossible. its being rendered at 720p and then being upscaled to 1080p resolution for display. The very thing that this article is bringing to light.

The point is all games on the xbone will have to be rendered at 720p.

Also, the Forza games are, by the standards of top-tier racing games, pretty butt-ugly. It took until Horizon where you finally had a game in the series that didn't have widespread aliasing, washed-out textures, and texture glitches, and then the gameplay was half-assed.

1471 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo