Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1419 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Flight of the Amazon Queen for Free
6. Re: Flight of the Amazon Queen for Free Sep 21, 2013, 15:15 killer_roach

Orogogus wrote on Sep 21, 2013, 13:27:
No, what he's getting at is that these two games have already been free for years.

The question for some of them has been at times how well previous free releases ran on modern operating systems. (For instance, I don't remember Stargunner working properly on Win7 before without having to muck around with tools yourself, which is something that GOG manages to take care of for you.)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 18, 2013, 22:01 killer_roach

Fantaz wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 12:28:
it's funny how Tegra 4 is pretty much outdated now... Snapdragon 800 is way better, and also Samsung Exynos maybe other chips as well.

Tegra 4 hasn't even shown up in any devices yet other than Shield... that being said, it gets smoked in GPU performance by Snapdragon 800 (CPU is closer, however - oddly enough, Nvidia's mobile SoCs seem to have good CPUs and crap GPUs). Exynos 5420 is probably better, although I haven't seen comparison benchmarks there, and Apple's A7 is surprisingly beastly for a dual-core CPU.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 18, 2013, 20:41 killer_roach

Not sure what they mean by "no GTA V digital for PS3 40GB"... just install a larger hard drive, and problem solved.

Also, there are digitally distributed titles for PS3 even larger than GTA V... the largest I've come across was pushing 30GB, if I recall. That would likely not install on a 60GB hard drive, much less a 40.

Just glad I have a 750GB PS3 here...

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Sep 12, 2013, 22:57 killer_roach

Kosh401 wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 22:20:
Battlefield 4 + Premium for 25% off aint too shabby..

Except that's EA, and it has gone on deeper discounts than that on Origin.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Sep 12, 2013, 22:55 killer_roach

Domgrief wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 06:19:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 11, 2013, 21:34:
Another great humble bundle. I own almost all those games already though, curses.

True, but if you're looking for a bargain, it's still a good deal even if you have all but one of the games.

And if you like paying a lot more than the minimum, you get a great opportunity to give money to the developers again, donate some money to charity, and get the games DRM free. Everybody wins!

I bought it for Eets Munchies and for DRM-free copies of Trine 2 and Mark of the Ninja.

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 11, 2013, 19:38 killer_roach

Tumbler wrote on Sep 11, 2013, 17:56:
Wish there was a way to list things for sale on Amazon to people in Argentina!

Import duties would likely put the price back up to that, if not higher.

Argentina and Brazil both tax the ever-loving hell out of most anything they consider to be a "luxury product", which seems to be classified as "anything that a middle-class American would like that a South American laborer can't buy."

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 11, 2013, 19:34 killer_roach

Ozmodan wrote on Sep 11, 2013, 17:53:
Any Perfect World game is just a huge money scam. Just horrible monitization with all their games. Would not play any of their games ever.

That's basically true of all Korean F2P MMOs, though. I remember playing one once where a guild was advertising that they were recruiting characters level 65+, to which somebody responded "must have fat wallet and/or botting experience."

News Comments > New Riddick Game Plans
6. Re: New Riddick Game Plans Sep 10, 2013, 22:45 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 22:30:
Techie714 wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 22:24:
Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 22:20:
Kinda wishing I saw this instead of Elysium the other day. Elysium was pretty weak sauce. Yeah, it was well acted - as to be expected - but the story was weak, weak sauce. Sure hope District 9 wasn't a one off from Blokampf.

Anyway, if they can recapture the magic of EfBB colour me in! And god's no, not an MMO. A co-op ARPG would be just fine for that, please and thank you.

I too heard Elysium was pretty weak, Steve Gibson dogged on it a few weeks back.

Honestly, it comes of like some amateur written fanfic. I'd suggest he leave the writing to professionals.

Agreed. Bloemkamp is pretty ham-fisted as a writer. Even District 9 suffered from his writing style, but the surrounding package was striking enough to mostly overlook it. Elysium... not so much.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Sep 9, 2013, 23:03 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 22:15:
35 years old? And he's... what, 68 or so? Hot damn.

He's probably happy you took five years off his age.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 9, 2013, 21:33 killer_roach

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 20:21:
Also grabbed the 149 super sweet edition of GTA5 today. Get to throw the money bag in my GTA4 lockbox.

Yeah, still have my GTA4 lockbox and R* duffel bag..

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 7, 2013, 17:44 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 10:49:
Yeah, they have those in Berkeley, Eugene, Austin, etc. every so-called "bohemian" town has them and they're not that bohemian. Excepting Savannah which is legit bohemian. Portland isn't weird by any stretch.

None of these "weird" cities are weird... a weird city, to me, indicates a level of surrealism that makes you want to keep your distance from it if at all possible.

Most of these yuppie cities are quirky... you want weird, go to Detroit. It's Terry Gilliam's film "Brazil" come to life.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 5, 2013, 22:03 killer_roach

LittleMe wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 15:25:
It's ultra-paranoid behavior that is going to anger the world. They're running amok on the Internet. It's childish and immature.

The first and most important step to limit their power is to cut off their money supply. That can only be done by going back to a commodity-backed currency. Right now they can counterfeit as much money as they want to keep their illegal operations going and we suffer through increased inflation in everything we buy. They steal our money to break the law, including international law.

Many of the most vocal backers of a commodity-backed currency do so out of self-interest - they own a lot of that currency. Even assuming the US massively stockpiled gold, it would require gold to be about $25,000 an ounce in order for it to sufficiently back the US money supply. Also, demand shocks in that commodity have been known to have deleterious effects on backed currencies, not to mention the problem that trade imbalances create (see what France did right before the Great Depression).

36. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 3, 2013, 20:50 killer_roach

MindStalker3 wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 16:30:
From what I understand the "magic" is really in the graphics chip in the 360. They could do PowerPC emulation plus the real graphics chip and it might work. Will they do it? Not in a million years.

Emulating six PPC cores at 3.2 GHz each on an eight-core x86 setup likely running between 1.4 and 1.6 GHz is, quite literally, impossible. They've got the cores, they'd just need them running around 5-6 GHz to have reliable emulation performance.

GPU wouldn't be hard at all - Microsoft uses a DirectX-like API on their consoles, and the chip in the XB1 is still, even at the lower end of projections, three times more powerful than the GPU in the 360.

News Comments > HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers
9. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 2, 2013, 18:24 killer_roach

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 18:03:
With Randy Pitchford involved in any capacity this game permanently dropped off my radar. Remember Duke Nukem Reloaded? Why would anyone sign any kind of contract with this idiot unless they were desperate.

DNF and A:CM were both simply cases of pushing a game that somebody else had 90% completed out the door. Yes, they half-assed both of them, but it's really hard to care about something that you picked out of the garbage.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
16. Re: Sunday Consolidation Sep 1, 2013, 20:37 killer_roach

robdot wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 20:24:
]
quote="LittleMe"Sep 1, 2013, 17:47]
robdot wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 17:07:
Kinect sports sold more than, oblivion, fallout 3 , assassins creed brotherhood and revelations, borderlands, batman arkham city,etc, you guys simply don't know a fucking thing about what your talking about. Dance central sold more than call of duty 3 or mass effect. Gee, I wonder why Microsoft wants to include a kinect? Fucking duh.

That's one title. The kinect was optional for 360 and yet Kinect Sports still sold a lot, according to you. Why not have it as an optional accessory as with the 360? Not like I care. I won't buy an XB1.

Well, actually that's TWO titles, and if dance central sold more than call of duty, and you were Microsoft , it's a no brainier to want to include kinect.

Amongst many of my friends the Kinect is referred to as the "Dance Central controller".

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Preorders
2. Re: Shadow Warrior Preorders Aug 30, 2013, 23:47 killer_roach

Jerykk wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 23:04:
Initial previews have been surprisingly positive. Not sure if the game is worth $34 yet but things are looking good so far.

After Hard Reset, it's clear FWH have the chops for making this sort of game. I am, like you, a bit unsure about whether it's worth $34 at this point, though.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 30, 2013, 14:04 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 13:00:
Beamer wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 12:44:
Cutter wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 12:40:
If MS is smart they'd drop the Failbox business. But that would make sense.

No, if Microsoft was doing what Cutter wanted it would drop the Failbox business, but considering it's the only successful consumer product it has, the only brand it has with any enthusiasm, and that devices that move beyond the desk are basically the future, this is more Old Man Cutter rambling without thinking.

Microsoft abandoning its only chance at having some kind of successful consumer product... jesus, man. Jesus.

Except that the second article there discusses just that possibility. Since Gates left MS, Ballmer has grown the company from $22b to $76b most of that on the back of their enterprise business. Given that their consumer initiatives have been either break even or loss leaders, the idea that they might dump those consumer facing products and focus on enterprise is not completely without merit or a crazy idea.

That's basically what Cisco did (to the point of killing Flip and selling Linksys to Belkin) and what HP tried to do under Leo Apotheker before the shareholders rebelled, ousted him, and put Carly Fiorina in charge there.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
20. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2013, 19:31 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 14:00:
And Amazon is stupid. Blowing off 30 million potential customers in Canada.

There's two warehouses in Canada, a comparable number per population as what exists in France, Germany, and Japan. Additionally, a good chunk of Canada is serviced by the network of fulfillment centers in the US as well. Seriously, there's not really any logical places to build another facility in Canada other than Quebec.

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 22, 2013, 19:32 killer_roach

Redmask wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 19:10:
Motion controls for video games suck, that's why developers aren't interested. No 1:1 control, horrible input latency, people get tired, many gamers are older and don't want to waggle/wave when they get home from the office.

The only good part of Kinect is the microphone for voice recognition commands and you can do that with a $5 microphone. Otherwise it's just an overpriced Skype/avatar device.

I agree, but from Microsoft's perspective a Kinect game is an ironclad exclusive. Hence their attempts to push it as much as is humanly possible.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 22, 2013, 18:55 killer_roach

John wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 17:01:
Tumbler wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 16:18:
The whole "kinect" is optional change is them basically giving up on it. I don't think they can pull it from the boxes they intend to sell so their stuck with selling that $500 box, question is what do they need to throw into it to make people bite.
Bah, they got a few months to design new boxes! Take that junk out and sell a 'basic' version for $400.

I still doubt they do that. Right now they want to encourage more devs to make Kinect games, and their way of promoting that is to tell developers "look! Every XB1 owner has a Kinect!", which would signal to developers that there's an install base large enough to do something other than quick minigame compilations for the device. (Of course, what Microsoft seems to forget is that there's a difference between somebody HAVING a Kinect and WANTING TO USE a Kinect...)

1419 Comments. 71 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo