Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1351 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 29, 2013, 17:48 killer_roach

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 17:02:
Julio wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 15:54:
The challenge will be getting internet providers to sell new technology, especially for us stuck in a virtual monopoly ISP situation enforced by the government.
What monopoly? In America there are plenty of choices (though they all pretty much suck balls)

Well, you have the incumbent advantage inherent in telephony-based broadband, you have (in most of the US) government-mandated monopolies at the local/state level for cable broadband, and FCC spectrum auctions creating a massive barrier to entry for mobile/satellite broadband...

So, while it is correct that there isn't a monopoly per se, it is a policy-driven stunting of competitive options. Fiber could be a way around that, but with the telcos and cable companies way out in front on the deployment of fiber-optic cable at present, it seems unlikely that a new player could disrupt much apart from in specific, population-dense urban areas.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2013, 14:32 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 12:42:
Precursor Games will now be known as Pedo Bear Games. Seriously though, I have to agree with a lot of people when saying given the gravity of the charge people in cases like this should not be named until they're convicted. Because if it turns out he really isn't guilty the damage is done and will follow him always.

Although Precursor still has Dyack involved. Obviously their threshold for depravity is selective if one stays and the other goes.

News Comments > Steam Trading Cards Launch
27. Re: Steam Trading Cards Launch Jun 26, 2013, 21:22 killer_roach

Genesys wrote on Jun 26, 2013, 21:00:
Prez wrote on Jun 26, 2013, 19:31:
LOL! I checked my profile and it said I could add a title to it from one of my badges. I'm a level 13 "game collector".

You're level 14 right now. Holy freaking cow! "Director of Acquisitions" indeed! Get 19 more games so we can see what the next badge is called

Is that the one at 1000 games? It's "Game Industry Guardian".

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 24, 2013, 19:59 killer_roach

Verno wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 10:34:
I finally saw an Ouya the other day, wow what a disappointment that thing is. The controller felt like a cheap toy that would break at the slightest mishap, the game selection was paltry and mostly trash that wouldn't even warrant a steam greenlight and the XBMC port crashed a bunch of times while it was being demonstrated. Ugh.

Saw a couple of pallets of them come in to work today... at the end of the day, well... they're still pretty much all there.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 21, 2013, 22:19 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 13:06:
I watched the Toyota movie so someone could have a meal, but I hated it. All this crap - Kaizen, Muda, are holdovers from their lean manuafacturing that has had a devastating effect on my company due to smaller teams and much bigger workloads. Improved efficency is great, but there's more to this that has a much darker side. All the managers at my plant had to read books on this garbage like "The Toyota Way", even though it is based on a Japanese system of making fewer people do way more that they abandoned due to being detrimental in the long term.

We use a lot of lean processes at Amazon, although usually to better effect. The biggest problem is that there's very little in place for cross-level communication - executives give orders to management, who gives them to the ground-level workers... in theory. Typically things end up getting lost in the shuffle and the informal grapevine becomes the main method of communication, leading to a lot of misinformation. As a result, I make a habit of flagging down anybody I see on the floor that's seemingly out of place - odds are they're operations staff or corporate executives on a Genba walk, and I can get straight answers from them. But that's no way to have effective corporate communication of policy.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Magrunner Dark Pulse
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Magrunner Dark Pulse Jun 20, 2013, 14:22 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 13:13:
"Gruckezber Corporation".

No. Just no. Google "Random Name Generator", hit "I'm feeling lucky" and try again.

In other news, the trailer looks pretty cool. Is this on Steam yet?

At first I thought the name might be due to the fact that it's from a non-American studio, but their offices are in Ireland, France, and Ukraine. Nothing that would indicate the sort of Germanic undertones that "Gruckezber" seems to imply.

And yes, the game is on Steam for $19.99.

News Comments > Bethesda Denies Fallout 4 E3 Showings
9. Re: Bethesda Denies Fallout 4 E3 Showings Jun 19, 2013, 19:53 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 16:13:
So the sites in question that saw it were hallucinating?

This fucking marketing shit is just getting ludicrous. "WE CANNOT ACKNOWLEDGE A GAME BEFORE IT IS OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED!!!" Fuck you, marketoids.

Creston

I think this is semantics.

Official statement from Bethesda: "We did not show any of our games behind closed doors."

Between the lines: "We are unable to comment on what our parent company, ZeniMax Media, may have done behind closed doors."

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 17, 2013, 20:10 killer_roach

Rea1One wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 19:52:
My Core i7-4770K is running at 5.2GHz on stock fan, amazing 4th generation overclocking ability on these babies.

Yeah, my old 2600K can hit 5 with the stock fan so long as I'm not putting stress on all eight logical cores. Basically no video encoding and I'm good. I still back it down to 4.4 for most ordinary purposes, however.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2013, Part Six
35. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 23:10 killer_roach

Rossafur wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 23:01:
Don't worry, in 50 years (fewer, now) we'll all be chicks...

Quoting the title of Adam Carolla's book?

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Footage
1. Re: Shadow Warrior Footage Jun 15, 2013, 15:19 killer_roach

I was a bit sketchy on the idea of a reboot, but that's actually looking... pretty solid. Color me intrigued.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 12, 2013, 20:10 killer_roach

ViRGE wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:28:
Flatline wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 16:30:
For once Pachter and I agree on something.
I don't agree with him for the same reasons, but I suspect the outcomes are the same regardless. It doesn't look like we're getting very many big AAA games this Christmas for the Vita, and that will probably be the final nail in the coffin for it in the West.

Which is a shame. It's very good hardware, and even a price cut on the damned memory cards would have been enough to drum up some excitement and spur on sales.

At the end of the day, it needs games. With Sony not really doing much themselves on it, they're not exactly spurring on confidence for third parties to do likewise. Hell, compare it to Nintendo's release diarrhea on the 3DS - one knows how to support a handheld, and the other doesn't.

News Comments > Op Ed
53. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 20:08 killer_roach

Julio wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 19:26:
Prez wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 19:21:
You joked about Hitler and euthanasia in one sentence! That makes you even worse! Shocked

So curious if/or where you guys draw the line?

Hurricane Katrina jokes?
9/11 jokes?
Hiroshima jokes?
School shooting jokes?
Boston marathon bombing jokes?

All funny to you?

I have a pretty transgressive sense of humor - all of them, if you find the right angle, can be funny. That being said, there's a time and a place for all of them - a public event being streamed live over the Internet? Not one of those times.

Krovven wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 19:55:
People-who-still-think-rape-jokes-are-funny

If you think rape jokes are funny, I can guarantee that if you have a loved one that has been raped, you won't find it funny any more. Real men don't think rape is funny, just sad little boys.

That being said, I find your offloading of your own indignation onto hypothetical others hilarious.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jun 9, 2013, 20:09 killer_roach

nin wrote on Jun 9, 2013, 15:24:
Forza Motorsport 5 - In-Game Footage Teaser Trailer.

XBONE - fuck those guys.

Also rather funny that the account posting the video is the one slagging it...

I bought my 360 almost specifically for Forza 3 (also PGR4 and Tales of Vesperia).

This time around... it'll take more than Forza 5 to get me to open my wallet.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Jun 7, 2013, 00:29 killer_roach

Wow, that Ocean City Racing game looks terrible...

...then I saw the clip of driving a go-kart through a subway station, and now I'm vaguely intrigued. It still screams shovelware, but I'm a sucker for ludicrous things like that.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
13. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jun 2, 2013, 21:32 killer_roach

wtf_man wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 20:36:
XBox One is not an option for me, period.

If the Playstation Eye turns out to be Mandatory like the Kinect... then neither will the PS4 be an option.

/shrug

Of course, if the Eye is mandatory, without an internet connection to phone home, a lot of the concerns are mitigated (apart from the obvious one of cost).

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam
12. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic Free on Steam Jun 1, 2013, 20:58 killer_roach

Kosumo wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 20:18:
Don't forget to use Ten-Online!

Man, point-to-point dial-up multiplayer is really where it's at.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
5. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 1, 2013, 19:54 killer_roach

dj LiTh wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 16:25:
So what i gathered, about 1-15% faster vs Ivy at the same clock although most cases about 8% is a safe assumption. Much lower idle, but suprisingly higher load output. Although unless your slamming a laptop at full usage its prolly going to be pretty great on battery life.

I just upgraded to a 2500k about a year ago and am quite happy with it OC'd to 4.7ghz, wont be upgrading anytime soon, but for anyone before sandy this is probably a good time to jump in and get a K sku overclockable haswell chip.

Yeah, I've had a 2600K that I've had OC'd anywhere between 4.4 and 5.0 (the latter for four-thread use, the former for eight-thread use), and not really seeing any reason to upgrade anytime soon. For the cost of a new processor and motherboard I could snag a GeForce GTX 770, which would do significantly more for me in terms of an upgrade (I currently run a 560Ti) than getting a i7-4770K would.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jun 1, 2013, 19:49 killer_roach

Cpmartins wrote on May 31, 2013, 20:54:
A thousand pages. If that doesn't tell you something about the kind of content they packed in the game, nothing will.

I still have my guidebooks for Daggerfall... it's in the same category of length all told, but basically just walls and walls of text, tables, and formulas (yes, the guides for it actually gave you the exact computations various spells or abilities relied on).

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 1, 2013, 16:23 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 16:00:
Aero wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 15:47:
Andrew Reisse is a good example of why Police should not be involving themselves in high speed chases.

It's sad, but it happens. Typically the police, if the chase gets too dangerous, will back off, but if they're chasing felons they are going to keep going as long as they can.

I'd hate for the standard to become that any criminal can get away as soon as he breaks 80mph...

I hope they caught the bastards and put them on the electric chair.

Creston

One of them was actually shot and killed by police in the process of trying to arrest him, the other two were captured and are awaiting trial.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Crayon Chronicles
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crayon Chronicles Jun 1, 2013, 15:04 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on May 31, 2013, 12:52:
First words on the trailer are:

Intros are lame. Here's some gameplay!

EXACTLY. Why is this so hard people? (Looking at you Wargame: AirLand Battle, but there are many, many others)

I was worried about the graphics, but they actually very well done. And gameplay looks fun. I'm going to DL the demo.

It's not bad - my only complaint is the lack of keyboard controls, only mouse or gamepad...

1351 Comments. 68 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo