Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1453 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VIII
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VIII Dec 6, 2013, 02:38 killer_roach

ShakaUVM wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 01:33:
I never played 8 (past the demo) because of how crappy the magic system was. Steal 100 of a spell to get it permanently? No thanks.

The magic booster might be enough to get me to buy, but - is that all of the spells? Or will you still need to endlessly steal for some of them? It's a deal breaker for me.

Not even close to all of the spells, and a lot of the ones you really want for junctions - Ultima, Tornado, Death, et cetera - aren't in the set.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 5, 2013, 19:05 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 10:52:
killer_roach wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 22:47:
it's basically the Ferrari 250 GT California of Gran Turismo).

One of those sold for 5.5 million GBP two years ago. FIVE AND A HALF MILLION POUNDS.

Beyond that, in the Forza Motorsport games the car sells for 25,000,000 credits, typically about as much as the next three most expensive in-game cars combined. Haven't even bothered trying to figure out how much it would cost if you purchased the credits on the Marketplace to get the car, but it would be ludicrous as well, just like it is for the Jaguar in GT6.

...all for a car that is rare and valuable in real life, but is next to worthless in terms of actually racing in the game.

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 4, 2013, 22:47 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 22:35:
You Can Spend $140 On One Car In Gran Turismo 6.

Well, they couldn't let Angry Birds beat them with that $100 microtransaction they have. Gran Turismo is a REAL game, after all.

Well, it's not one transaction - to spend $140 to get that one car, you have to make four separate transactions, two at $50 each and two at $20 each, to get the in-game credits needed for that one car. (Then again, the car in question is a 1966 Jaguar XJ13, something that most people wouldn't consider paying real money for due to the fact that it, while looking very cool, performs abysmally compared to the near entirety of its modern brethren - it's basically the Ferrari 250 GT California of Gran Turismo).

To be honest, it's a situation like that where a system similar to Forza's "car token" microtransactions would be ideal - that is, until Horizon started ramping up the number of tokens required to buy a car and 5 (apparently) took it to ludicrous heights.

News Comments > 100 More Steam Greenlights
5. Re: 100 More Steam Greenlights Dec 4, 2013, 22:31 killer_roach

Ceribaen wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 22:06:
I'm really not understanding the point of the greenlight program at this point...
How many of these are actually ready even for an 'early access'?

Also, anyone know what the difference is to get on to Steam under normal circumstances vs getting on via Greenlight? Is there a lower cost of entry or something?

Typically going in under traditional consideration means utilizing a publisher that Steam already has an existing agreement with. Needless to say, that's a nonstarter for a lot of independent developers.

As far as how many of them are ready for an "early access" release or later, I think I counted thirteen games on that list that I have already on my Desura account, and if memory serves they're all considered to be out of beta (although, for instance, 99 Levels To Hell is still under semi-constant development).

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 1, 2013, 22:07 killer_roach

nin wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 15:19:
Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 14:43:
How exactly are you going to enforce a ban on 3D gun printing?

(While I certainly don't support the idea) Couldn't they ban sales of 3d printers to the state? I know OK has a stupid assed law where we can't have wine shipped to us (goddammit)...

Tell me about it (KY resident, same deal).

I joked with people that a ban on 3D printing is something you'd expect from a city run by a man named Nutter (seriously, Philly's mayor is named Michael Nutter).

News Comments > Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC "Far Superior" to Next-Gen
36. Re: Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC Nov 30, 2013, 21:08 killer_roach

Steele Johnson wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 20:48:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 14:15:
Steele Johnson wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 13:53:
Most homes don't even have a pc anymore.

Way to talk out of your ass there, Johnson. The US Census reported in 2011 (latest year data is available) that 75.6% of households have at least one personal computer. If you're purporting that more than 1/3 of those households have gotten rid of it in favor of a tablet or some junk within the past two years, I might have to ask what exactly it is that you're smoking...

That's bullsh!t. I don't need some crap census. I can easily look around for myself. Every family member, every friend I have, every co-worker has ditched pc in favor of some sort of phone/tablet as their main computer within the past few years. Are you really saying that people rather go sit at some desk somwhere to read their email/peruse the web when they can easily carry it in their pocket or have on their endtable and use it while lying down in bed or on the sofa? I appreciate your support for the pc , but you are way wrong. If that census is true then the people interviewed are talking about their old laptop/desktop that's collecting dust while they're carring around their main computer in their pocket.

The singular of "data" is not "anecdote".

Nor, for that matter, is it "generalization".

News Comments > On Sale
25. Re: On Sale Nov 29, 2013, 20:07 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Nov 29, 2013, 15:53:
nin wrote on Nov 29, 2013, 13:24:

The funny part is devs and valve both have shown that, the higher the discount, the more copies sell. They continue to shoot themselves in the foot, sale after sale, while other games wrack hundreds of thousands of copies in extra sales...

To be clear, its not just more copies. If a 50% sale meant twice the copies sold it would be a wash in terms of revenue.
What happens is that 50% sale might mean 10 times the copies. $75% sale might mean 100 times the copies. And it doesn't cannibalize full price sales either. Valve has shown that full price games continue to sell at the same steady rate before and after a sale (and in fact the after sale sales actually end up getting a bump too).

(I'm sure you know and meant this, I'm just clarifying for anyone who doesn't)

Past a certain point in time discounted sales don't cannibalize full-price sales much. Do it too early and you might end up leaving money on the table for people who would have gladly paid more, but that rarely seems to be the case. (Then again, a "leave money on the table" strategy could work to a developer's advantage by then releasing a steady stream of post-launch content, some free, some paid.)

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
8. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 24, 2013, 21:14 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 18:36:
Amazon MIGHT help you if they have stock.

Last I knew, Amazon is officially sold out, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some inventory being held in reserve for exchanges.

News Comments > Next Car Game Kickstarter Axed; Preorder Sneak Peek Released
13. Re: Next Car Game Kickstarter Axed; Preorder Sneak Peek Released Nov 23, 2013, 23:12 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 23:09:
JaguarUSF wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 15:14:
There is some rabid interest in the game from a small group of people. The pre-orders started before it appeared in Kickstarter, and the game is coming out whether they got some arbitrary amount of money from Kickstarter or not, as it seems to be mostly finished from what's been posted by the developer. I think Kickstarter just provided a more visible way of getting pre-orders when compared to their website.

I pre-ordered the game before it went on Kickstarter, so I've been playing the tech demo. It's fun: very nice detailed deformation, decent arcade handling and physics. Check out my gameplay video. Personally, I'm really looking forward to the beta.

Yeah, but you could say that about any game in development. There will always be the group of hardcore fans who for the life of them can't figure out why people aren't signing over their first born for said game.

I'm interested in it, but I've got enough money tied to games that are still in the development pipeline that I'm not giving any more until some of that gets cleared up.

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 22:53 killer_roach

Julio wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 21:29:
#1 solution is buy a PS4 and return that Xbox

Good luck with that. They're not exactly plentiful in the wild right now.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
37. Re: Op Ed Nov 22, 2013, 18:08 killer_roach

Fantaz wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 17:22:
It does seem like Xbox One has the better exclusive launch titles. Forza is one that stands out.

If Forza is the standout title... (granted, the series has improved, Horizon excluded, but it's neither a great arcade racer nor a great sim)

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 18, 2013, 21:44 killer_roach

Taskeen wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 21:36:
I'm glad the TPP was leaked by whatever peeps on the inside. Thank you insiders for recognizing this heinous bill made by dickbags in secret.

I immediately get wary of any "trade agreement" that Venezuela is actually wanting to be a part of (they haven't been invited to sign on, but they want in on it). Their government is almost a flawless weathervane for indicating bad ideas.

News Comments > No Wheel Support for NFS Rivals
7. Re: No Wheel Support for NFS Rivals Nov 18, 2013, 21:43 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 21:30:
A PC racing game that won't support any of the platform's common peripherals. Aaaaaalrighty then! Rolleyes

Do they not want to sell any copies of this game on the PC at all?

Have you ever played a NFS game from Underground on on PC? This is nothing new - even without the FPS cap the games tend to run like ass, even on powerful hardware. They're some of the laziest port jobs I've ever seen.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
23. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 10, 2013, 18:56 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 23:33:
No, tech companies have suits and bean counters to advise them on the business side of things. They can worry about the processes and results. But unless you have a product and/or service to sell then none of it means anything. MS under techie Gates flourishes, under suit Ballmer fails. Apple under techies Job/Woz flourishes, under suit -can't recall the guy's name atm - fails. And so on. You need a tech visionary or you'll just get more of the same as you did with Ballmer. MS doesn't need anymore salesmen. They need better products, services and to change how they operate internally.

Man, it's clear why you guys don't run businesses.

Visionaries are almost never CEOs. Jobs is the exception, not the rule. Look at Microsoft's heyday - most of the major stuff going on wasn't coming from Gates, it was coming from a handful of SVPs and project managers all around the company. Gates just let the people under them do their thing.

The fact that you think a company needs a P.T. Barnum-like showman to run the show borders on laughable. If you don't have a focus on process coming from the very top, it's hard to institute it elsewhere.

12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 9, 2013, 17:24 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 17:02:
TheLeech wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 13:51:
Cutter, you so stupid. Mulally is an engineer. Started at Boeing and helped turn their commercial aviation business around. Then Ford. The real question is whether his success with physical products would translate to software.

Me so stupid, am I? He's a mechanical engineer, you dipshit. That's like saying MS should hire chemical engineer for CEO. What does a grease monkey know about software and software services? Idiot.

What does a code monkey know about business? Even less.

10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 9, 2013, 16:24 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 15:11:
Ratty wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 12:32:
2 positive Windows 8 stories this morning. Oh noes! Blue has been TURNED!
Well he was in the running for CEO. Blindows 8.1!

You remember what the codename for Windows 8.1 was, right?

7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 9, 2013, 14:38 killer_roach

Simon Says wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 12:29:
killer_roach wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 12:18:
Sorry, Nvidia, but Android still needs better management of native code to make it really suitable for gaming. That being said, the proliferation of inexpensive yet powerful tablets (like the Nexus 7 FHD and the Kindle Fire HDX) may be the move that Android needs to make the leap from mobile devices to laptops and desktops, and virtualization could make it a very intriguing "gaming OS" for the future (i.e. have it handle gaming tasks in its own instance from a Win/Mac environment).

Still a long ways to go (like the long-standing idea of Linux gaming), but it's closer than most would like to admit.

It's much FARTHER, very very much FARTHER than you think mate.

The CPU and GPU industry are bogged down right now. The move to smaller processes has never been this hard, this slow, this complex, troublesome and expensive. We've hit the TDP wall for both products now.

So unless you find a way to dissipate more heat AND bring to market revolutionary batteries, there's no way the tablets and phones will get anywhere close to the laptop, even less the deskptop enthusiast level of processing power for a decade or 2.

Repeat, do some research, the shrinking fueled revolution is slowing down to a crawl and this will affect everyone, from the server down to the smartwatch. Party's over.

You've missed the point here a bit. I'm not saying that tablets will challenge the laptop or desktop anytime soon, that would be absurd because of the thermal and electrical constraints you mentioned.

What I am instead saying is that once tablets can be considered "good enough" solutions, the pressure on the market to include tablet-like functionality to those larger devices will be greater, and it will come down to whomever can engineer the most practical solutions to said fusion.

When it comes down to a battle between Microsoft against Google and about a dozen other companies who have done significant Android OS development... I don't think Microsoft comes off very well. (Additionally, to go back to another article in this thread, if Elop becomes the new CEO as MSFT, we might see them largely abandon the tablet market apart from the enterprise space.)

10. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 9, 2013, 12:24 killer_roach

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 01:44:
Question: How many of those 300 cars from Forza were 1)with the launch of the game, and 2) were part of DLC packs/Season pass? Or the VIP Pass or given out for free, or were exclusive if you had previous saved games or achievments from previous games. Easily over 100 cars just in the DLC packs.

Also they mention the 1000 cars in Gran Turismo. Do I really need to point out how GT5 had 100's of crap low quality cars, vs the premium cars, or still shitty damage modeling? GT5 Prolog was released in 2007 as a 'lite' version of the game with only 37 cars, and the 'rest' of the game was released in 2010. Also GT5 had 100 different versions of ricer's with the exact same body just different specs.

Or new driving physic's due to open wheel cars? And what about Maps? Forza 4 had a dozen or so maps, with dozen's of variations, but wouldn't even add them all to the playlists of games like Tag Virus. And even then I believe there was only 1 or 2 maps added to the over the entire life of the franchise because of the work involved to make them, and it fragmented the player base (was awesome to get point to point races back in Horizon's).

The article itself is just so... mindlessly... stupid? I mean it suffers from the 'screen door on a sub' mentality of being full of holes.

They referred to Forza 5 having about 200 cars versus 500 in Forza 4 - it sounds like it's 300 fewer cars PLUS all the DLC (although I think some DLC cars will be in the final roster at the expense of some other prior vehicles).

In terms of comparison to GT5, I can't exactly say Forza's cars were typically that high of quality (nearly all tended to be very low-detail interiors, some were low-poly enough to have passed for models in Forza 1 or 2), and damage modeling is basically a joke in either game (despite what Turn 10 would like to say about theirs - hell, the damage modeling in Real Racing 3 might be on par with Forza 4, and that's a mobile game!).

1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 9, 2013, 12:18 killer_roach

Sorry, Nvidia, but Android still needs better management of native code to make it really suitable for gaming. That being said, the proliferation of inexpensive yet powerful tablets (like the Nexus 7 FHD and the Kindle Fire HDX) may be the move that Android needs to make the leap from mobile devices to laptops and desktops, and virtualization could make it a very intriguing "gaming OS" for the future (i.e. have it handle gaming tasks in its own instance from a Win/Mac environment).

Still a long ways to go (like the long-standing idea of Linux gaming), but it's closer than most would like to admit.

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 8, 2013, 23:51 killer_roach

MattyC wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 22:40:
Forza 5 Has 300 Fewer Cars Than Forza 4, No Nurburgring

Well, I think we all know someone who is happy with this development.

60% fewer cars. Wow. That's absolutely shredding the vehicle list.

1453 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo