Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1421 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Love Gigabit Seattle? Nov 1, 2013, 20:42 killer_roach

merc248 wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 15:11:
I'm in the Seattle area - both McGinn and Murray are Democratic. The general consensus is that McGinn is all for gigabit internet, reforming the police force, more bike lanes, better public transit (and expansion of the light rail service), etc. Murray is generally anti-McGinn, and his only platform so far seems to be, 'yeah, well, we're going to stop the bike lanes from expanding, and McGinn is divisive.'

Lots of folks have been huge fans of McGinn around here, so I've huge confidence that he'll win the mayoral race again.

Yeah, that's pretty typical among large city mayoral races - the primary just narrows the field to two, regardless of party, and often means you have two Democrats going against each other in the general election (saw that all too often as a former Cleveland resident... then again, there you'd get two Democratic candidates partly because the primary was all Democrats).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Blizzard Offers Free Blackthorne
3. Re: Blizzard Offers Free Blackthorne Nov 1, 2013, 20:37 killer_roach

It's actually a step better - just go into the Game Downloads page even if you don't have a Battle.net account, and download it from there without ever having to sign up. Just downloaded it and started playing, no login required.  

News Comments > The 7th Guest 3 Announced
9. Re: The 7th Guest 3 Announced Oct 31, 2013, 16:34 killer_roach

BitWraith wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 16:25:
The game you're referring to was "Phantasmagoria" by Sierra Online, written by Roberta Williams.

I have that game on CD. It came on like 7 or 8 of em.

Yeah, seven CDs. Was pretty insane back in the day.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: iPad Air’s A7 chip is identical to the iPhone’s, just faster. Oct 31, 2013, 01:35 killer_roach

DrSquick wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 14:57:
Yeah I think that's like saying an i5 Haswell 3.0Ghz chip is the same as an i5 Haswell 3.5Ghz chip. They are, just one runs at a higher clock rate.

This is actually somewhat unusual for Apple, though - typically the SoC used in the iPad has some noticeable structural advantages over the iPhone part. The bare minimum has been a faster CPU and GPU, and often the iPad SoC has a GPU significantly beyond the phone version (usually by adding more processing units). The fact that the only difference is a 100MHz bump to CPU clock and reduced thermal throttling is rather un-Apple.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 30, 2013, 20:39 killer_roach

Redmask wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 19:57:
NKD wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 19:28:
PS4 will not play MP3s, will not support connecting external storage such as flash drives, and will not stream media from other devices like your PC.

Hate to do it, but I think I might be switching to Xbone. I don't like having a lot of devices hooked to my TV and a lot of remotes floating around, so I need one box that can do it all.

Unfortunately that's the Xbone. Fuck.

You can put a larger hard drive into the PS4 in lieu of external storage support which will probably come after the launch at some point. Yoshida said hes talking to the dev team about getting DLNA support in, I think they probably thought no one cared since most TVs do it these days. Mp3s I didn't realize anyone actually used their console for anymore.

I wouldn't buy either console right away if your main concern is media playback though, we have no idea how either one will shake out. Microsoft so far has been quiet on local file playback and DLNA. At launch the PS3 and 360 had pretty poor playback support.

I used to use my PS3 a lot for DLNA stuff... anymore I just run Plex and start watching videos on my Kindle Fire HDX.

News Comments > EA Earnings
14. Re: EA Earnings Oct 29, 2013, 23:29 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 23:21:
You're right. But it's loss after loss for a long time now...And Gaap or no Gaap Revenue is Revenue and overall it is down YOY. Not sure what's so exciting about that? No? And if one doesn't want to touch that... We still can babble about overall revenue per platform, that's still fun to do???

They've spent 2008-11 expanding and from there on trying to shed the weight they put on... I'd say the trajectory is a healthier one.

As for the declining revenue, you have to keep two things in mind - one, their smaller size means they aren't releasing as many games anymore, and two, Madden 25 was a bit of a sales disappointment for them.

I'd still say the trajectory is positive, but you are right in the fact that they're basically right now having to undo years of costly mistakes.

12. Re: EA Earnings Oct 29, 2013, 23:17 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 21:48:
Strong Results?

695 Million in sales for the quarter, slightly lower than last year.
Throw in expenses...
273 Million Dollar LOSS (Last Year 381 Loss)

Xbox Rev - 167 Mil
PS3 Rev - 131 Mil
PC Rev - 274 Mil (And we still don't get some sports games)
Wii rev $32 dollars, lol. jk

YOY the consoles down 15%.
PC up again at, what is that you say, oh my 28%!

Oh yes and the Holy Mobile market 75 Milion. FLAT YOY. LOL!!

I wouldn't say these are great #'s overall. Seems like they should be bowing to PC gamers demands.

When GAAP and non-GAAP numbers vary that wildly, that's a sign of major accounting charges, as is a sign of a company that's restructuring. This shouldn't come as a surprise when they've closed studios and laid off staff, that's basically where the numbers diverge. As a result, there's a reason why they're focusing more on non-GAAP numbers and why investors are taking the earnings report as very good news. After all, once those charges are past them, it's putting them in a better situation going forward.

Additionally, there's reasons why gamers should probably avoid the business side of things. Most of them seem to know precious little about it.

7. Re: EA Earnings Oct 29, 2013, 20:32 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 20:08:
Wow, a cool $bil. Regardless of how I feel about EA in general, that's impressive.

Yeah, that EPS number came out of nowhere - forward guidance has EA taking in a profit of about 45 cents a share for the next four quarters, so 33 cents in one is unusually strong. It's likely a one-off that is primarily due to some massive corporate blood-letting in recent months, but they seem to be moving in the direction of a more focused company, which can only help them in the long run.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
16. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 27, 2013, 20:24 killer_roach

nin wrote on Oct 27, 2013, 19:12:
I miss the Project Gotham games...they were awesome.

There's some rumors that Microsoft might resurrect the Project Gotham series with Playground (the Forza Horizon devs) at the helm (as Playground is mostly staffed by ex-Bizarre employees)... we'll see. It'd pique my interest, that's for sure.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
13. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 27, 2013, 19:10 killer_roach

Hellbinder wrote on Oct 27, 2013, 18:38:
"" at least Forza 5 has been confirmed to be running at 1080p/60fps""

uh no its not. its impossible. its being rendered at 720p and then being upscaled to 1080p resolution for display. The very thing that this article is bringing to light.

The point is all games on the xbone will have to be rendered at 720p.

Also, the Forza games are, by the standards of top-tier racing games, pretty butt-ugly. It took until Horizon where you finally had a game in the series that didn't have widespread aliasing, washed-out textures, and texture glitches, and then the gameplay was half-assed.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
15. Re: Saturday Consolidation Oct 27, 2013, 00:06 killer_roach

LurkerLito wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 20:28:
The PS4's digital game sharing policy is decent. The only question I have though, is what if you can't deactivate a primary console due to hardware issue? If I didn't fix my YLOD PS3 myself, there would have been no way to deactivate the console if I wasn't willing to spend the money to send the console to Sony to fix. So what happens to my digital purchases in that case? Can I get Sony to deactivate it via a support call?

You can deactivate it by a support call as well, I did that myself in the past.

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Oct 26, 2013, 19:04 killer_roach

jimnms wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 18:46:
I saw something similar on a forum post a while back. The only EA game I own on Steam is BFBC2. When I tried to activate it on Origin, it directed me to a website, which then gave me an error (it was months ago, so don't remember the details). I just tried it and it recognizes the key as BFBC2, but then says the key has already been redeemed.

Yeah, most of my EA games on Steam ported over to Origin just fine, although Mass Effect wouldn't. Additionally, a key for NFS ProStreet that I had from Direct2Drive (now Gamefly) wouldn't activate on Origin either. Newer stuff seems to work just fine, but older titles are somewhat sketchy on their success.

9. Re: Saturday Consolidation Oct 26, 2013, 18:21 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 17:59:
Funny thing is that Elfen Lied is Dutch for Elven Song. Funny that the Japanese should call it that.

Anyway, it seems that as long as it's Manga/Anime, it's okay, but if it's Western violence, then it's wrong. It's just stupid cultural "protection" crap.

It's also German, which is the more relevant there (the opening sequence invokes the paintings of Austrian artist Gustav Klimt).

Also, yes, it was aired in Japan, but not on broadcast channels and was aired late at night.

6. Re: Saturday Consolidation Oct 26, 2013, 16:23 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 14:29:
That's really strange about the censorship in the Japanese version of GTA. Japanese media is no stranger to both gratuitous nudity and explicit violence (Very NSFW example here. The fun starts at 0 seconds). TV, for example, is much more permissive about nudity especially, and only full frontal is explicitly banned.

Maybe they were shooting for some kind of rating more permissible to yung'uns?

Japan has different regulations for interactive media.

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 26, 2013, 01:50 killer_roach

I'd argue the value of console games on PC is simply that it reduces the demand of the consoles themselves - it's easier to be exclusively a PC gamer now than ever before, and with that locked-in audience comes a market that developers have to at least pay cursory attention to. Yes, a lot of console ports are pretty shoddy, unoptimized dross that insult the average person's intelligence (realizing the average person probably lacks intelligence of any substantial sort), but it doesn't change the fact that they go a long ways to making the consoles superfluous.  

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 25, 2013, 23:53 killer_roach

Rea1One wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 23:06:
Hopefully Ouya 2.0 skips over Tegra 4 and goes with Tegra 5.

Or, better yet, some mobile SoC with a halfway-decent GPU (the Adreno 330 in Snapdragon 800 is about 35% faster than the GeForce in Tegra 4, and the PowerVR G6430 in Apple's A7 is about 80% faster)...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 25, 2013, 23:38 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 12:35:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 12:31:
I want to thank amazon for basically giving away their products at cost... All those billions sold, no profit for them.

It's not clever accounting, either - Amazon legitimately loses money every day.

It's amazing what being incredibly smart about your business model and growth, despite losses, can do to keep a company thriving despite repeatedly spending more than it earns.

Basically it amounts to that Amazon loses money because they spend so much money beefing up their infrastructure and entering new markets. If they ever decided to stop doing that, they could be putting up decent-sized profits (~$400-700 million a quarter, possibly cracking a billion in Q4s), but their focus is to continually do more for the customers, which in turn drives revenue growth, which gives them more money to spend on improving service. And Wall Street seems largely okay with this, mostly because a) they can get the profits whenever they want by scaling expansion back, and b) in some ways, AMZN's shareholders are getting their dividends through increased consumer surplus as customers of the company.

News Comments > Dark Matter Follow-up: Interwave a "Sleeping Company" - New Studio Fixing Ending
4. Re: Dark Matter Follow-up: Interwave a Oct 23, 2013, 17:11 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 16:57:
Oh fellas just give it up. We've seen the needle and the damage done. The milk has been spilled. The water is long under the bridge. Forget it about move forward.

Honestly, I'm almost curious to play the game now... too bad it's almost completely off the market anymore, although I'm pretty sure I wouldn't buy it at MSRP.

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 21, 2013, 23:00 killer_roach

siapnar wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 21:54:
Killzone looks pretty cool, but it looks like the same old gameplay.

GT6's graphics are really, really mundane.
I never felt the GT games were a great depiction of real driving, either.
Richard Burns Rally is the most realistic driving game I've played as far as I'm concerned

GT does pretty good with driving physics - it's the whole racing thing they have problems with.

That and UI. Damn, the interface in GT5 is appalling.

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 18, 2013, 19:57 killer_roach

anime is great! wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 19:54:
PS4's Need for Speed Rivals more visually impressive than PC version

Welp, PC gaming is dead. Pack it up.

The NFS games have been pretty poorly ported to PC for years now - poor framerates, inferior textures and geometry, the whole nine yards.

1421 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo