Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1424 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 22, 2013, 22:53 killer_roach

Julio wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 21:29:
#1 solution is buy a PS4 and return that Xbox

Good luck with that. They're not exactly plentiful in the wild right now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
37. Re: Op Ed Nov 22, 2013, 18:08 killer_roach

Fantaz wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 17:22:
It does seem like Xbox One has the better exclusive launch titles. Forza is one that stands out.

If Forza is the standout title... (granted, the series has improved, Horizon excluded, but it's neither a great arcade racer nor a great sim)

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 18, 2013, 21:44 killer_roach

Taskeen wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 21:36:
I'm glad the TPP was leaked by whatever peeps on the inside. Thank you insiders for recognizing this heinous bill made by dickbags in secret.

I immediately get wary of any "trade agreement" that Venezuela is actually wanting to be a part of (they haven't been invited to sign on, but they want in on it). Their government is almost a flawless weathervane for indicating bad ideas.

News Comments > No Wheel Support for NFS Rivals
7. Re: No Wheel Support for NFS Rivals Nov 18, 2013, 21:43 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 21:30:
A PC racing game that won't support any of the platform's common peripherals. Aaaaaalrighty then! Rolleyes

Do they not want to sell any copies of this game on the PC at all?

Have you ever played a NFS game from Underground on on PC? This is nothing new - even without the FPS cap the games tend to run like ass, even on powerful hardware. They're some of the laziest port jobs I've ever seen.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
23. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 10, 2013, 18:56 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 23:33:
No, tech companies have suits and bean counters to advise them on the business side of things. They can worry about the processes and results. But unless you have a product and/or service to sell then none of it means anything. MS under techie Gates flourishes, under suit Ballmer fails. Apple under techies Job/Woz flourishes, under suit -can't recall the guy's name atm - fails. And so on. You need a tech visionary or you'll just get more of the same as you did with Ballmer. MS doesn't need anymore salesmen. They need better products, services and to change how they operate internally.

Man, it's clear why you guys don't run businesses.

Visionaries are almost never CEOs. Jobs is the exception, not the rule. Look at Microsoft's heyday - most of the major stuff going on wasn't coming from Gates, it was coming from a handful of SVPs and project managers all around the company. Gates just let the people under them do their thing.

The fact that you think a company needs a P.T. Barnum-like showman to run the show borders on laughable. If you don't have a focus on process coming from the very top, it's hard to institute it elsewhere.

12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 9, 2013, 17:24 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 17:02:
TheLeech wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 13:51:
Cutter, you so stupid. Mulally is an engineer. Started at Boeing and helped turn their commercial aviation business around. Then Ford. The real question is whether his success with physical products would translate to software.

Me so stupid, am I? He's a mechanical engineer, you dipshit. That's like saying MS should hire chemical engineer for CEO. What does a grease monkey know about software and software services? Idiot.

What does a code monkey know about business? Even less.

10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 9, 2013, 16:24 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 15:11:
Ratty wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 12:32:
2 positive Windows 8 stories this morning. Oh noes! Blue has been TURNED!
Well he was in the running for CEO. Blindows 8.1!

You remember what the codename for Windows 8.1 was, right?

7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 9, 2013, 14:38 killer_roach

Simon Says wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 12:29:
killer_roach wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 12:18:
Sorry, Nvidia, but Android still needs better management of native code to make it really suitable for gaming. That being said, the proliferation of inexpensive yet powerful tablets (like the Nexus 7 FHD and the Kindle Fire HDX) may be the move that Android needs to make the leap from mobile devices to laptops and desktops, and virtualization could make it a very intriguing "gaming OS" for the future (i.e. have it handle gaming tasks in its own instance from a Win/Mac environment).

Still a long ways to go (like the long-standing idea of Linux gaming), but it's closer than most would like to admit.

It's much FARTHER, very very much FARTHER than you think mate.

The CPU and GPU industry are bogged down right now. The move to smaller processes has never been this hard, this slow, this complex, troublesome and expensive. We've hit the TDP wall for both products now.

So unless you find a way to dissipate more heat AND bring to market revolutionary batteries, there's no way the tablets and phones will get anywhere close to the laptop, even less the deskptop enthusiast level of processing power for a decade or 2.

Repeat, do some research, the shrinking fueled revolution is slowing down to a crawl and this will affect everyone, from the server down to the smartwatch. Party's over.

You've missed the point here a bit. I'm not saying that tablets will challenge the laptop or desktop anytime soon, that would be absurd because of the thermal and electrical constraints you mentioned.

What I am instead saying is that once tablets can be considered "good enough" solutions, the pressure on the market to include tablet-like functionality to those larger devices will be greater, and it will come down to whomever can engineer the most practical solutions to said fusion.

When it comes down to a battle between Microsoft against Google and about a dozen other companies who have done significant Android OS development... I don't think Microsoft comes off very well. (Additionally, to go back to another article in this thread, if Elop becomes the new CEO as MSFT, we might see them largely abandon the tablet market apart from the enterprise space.)

10. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 9, 2013, 12:24 killer_roach

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 01:44:
Question: How many of those 300 cars from Forza were 1)with the launch of the game, and 2) were part of DLC packs/Season pass? Or the VIP Pass or given out for free, or were exclusive if you had previous saved games or achievments from previous games. Easily over 100 cars just in the DLC packs.

Also they mention the 1000 cars in Gran Turismo. Do I really need to point out how GT5 had 100's of crap low quality cars, vs the premium cars, or still shitty damage modeling? GT5 Prolog was released in 2007 as a 'lite' version of the game with only 37 cars, and the 'rest' of the game was released in 2010. Also GT5 had 100 different versions of ricer's with the exact same body just different specs.

Or new driving physic's due to open wheel cars? And what about Maps? Forza 4 had a dozen or so maps, with dozen's of variations, but wouldn't even add them all to the playlists of games like Tag Virus. And even then I believe there was only 1 or 2 maps added to the over the entire life of the franchise because of the work involved to make them, and it fragmented the player base (was awesome to get point to point races back in Horizon's).

The article itself is just so... mindlessly... stupid? I mean it suffers from the 'screen door on a sub' mentality of being full of holes.

They referred to Forza 5 having about 200 cars versus 500 in Forza 4 - it sounds like it's 300 fewer cars PLUS all the DLC (although I think some DLC cars will be in the final roster at the expense of some other prior vehicles).

In terms of comparison to GT5, I can't exactly say Forza's cars were typically that high of quality (nearly all tended to be very low-detail interiors, some were low-poly enough to have passed for models in Forza 1 or 2), and damage modeling is basically a joke in either game (despite what Turn 10 would like to say about theirs - hell, the damage modeling in Real Racing 3 might be on par with Forza 4, and that's a mobile game!).

1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 9, 2013, 12:18 killer_roach

Sorry, Nvidia, but Android still needs better management of native code to make it really suitable for gaming. That being said, the proliferation of inexpensive yet powerful tablets (like the Nexus 7 FHD and the Kindle Fire HDX) may be the move that Android needs to make the leap from mobile devices to laptops and desktops, and virtualization could make it a very intriguing "gaming OS" for the future (i.e. have it handle gaming tasks in its own instance from a Win/Mac environment).

Still a long ways to go (like the long-standing idea of Linux gaming), but it's closer than most would like to admit.

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 8, 2013, 23:51 killer_roach

MattyC wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 22:40:
Forza 5 Has 300 Fewer Cars Than Forza 4, No Nurburgring

Well, I think we all know someone who is happy with this development.

60% fewer cars. Wow. That's absolutely shredding the vehicle list.

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 8, 2013, 13:41 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 12:22:
Simon Says wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 05:21:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 20:22:
killer_roach wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 17:27:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 14:25:
Watch Our Exclusive Teardown of the PlayStation 4.

That CPU fan looks pretty small.

The CPUs aren't exactly using much power in either the PS4 or the Xbone. Eight-core AMD design at 1.6-1.8 GHz? Probably tops out at about 35W TDP. Not exactly much to stress a decently-designed cooling fan.

I think your 35W TDP is way off. The chip is a CPU/GPU combo, with a 8 core piledriver CPU and the equivalaent of a 7850 GPU. A 3.3 GHz piledriver has a TDP of 95 watts; let's assume they're running it at half speed for a TDP of 50 watts. The 7850 has a TDP of about 100 watts. So that 150 watts. That might be a bit high, since they're probably getting some efficiencies in combining them into a single APU, but given the kind of graphics they're pushing, a TDP of 35 watts seems much, much too low. I'd say we're probably somewhere in the 130-140 range.

These centrifugal fans might be small, but they pack quite a lot of punch, also if they used high-grade thermal conductors between the heatsink and the SoC, with heat-pipes or evaporator design, it's enough to keep everything cool. Look at the surface area on that thing.

And BTW, that ain't piledriver design, it's a netbook CPU, Jaguar design. Low TDP, to keep as much TDP as possible for the GPU, smart choice IMHO.

You're right, my bad. That still puts the TDP well over 100 watts, though.

@Roach: There's only one chip, the APU that combines CPU and GPU. You're not going to get that level of graphics out of a 35 watt TDP APU.

Ah, hadn't realized that they had gone with a fully unified design. Last I heard they were going with an APU+GPU approach. But even at ~100W, that fan should suffice, especially with any sort of heatpipes.

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale (NEWEGG SALE) Nov 8, 2013, 03:04 killer_roach

edaciousx wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 01:35:
Newegg also has a raelly good sale going on right now, up to 76% off on rockstar games; they're steam codes.

http://www.newegg.com/DIY-PC-Combos/PromotionStore/ID-2126840?icid=216394

Then again, Rockstar's PC titles go on sale for those sorts of prices extremely frequently.

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 7, 2013, 20:30 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 20:22:

The CPUs aren't exactly using much power in either the PS4 or the Xbone. Eight-core AMD design at 1.6-1.8 GHz? Probably tops out at about 35W TDP. Not exactly much to stress a decently-designed cooling fan.

I think your 35W TDP is way off. The chip is a CPU/GPU combo, with a 8 core piledriver CPU and the equivalaent of a 7850 GPU. A 3.3 GHz piledriver has a TDP of 95 watts; let's assume they're running it at half speed for a TDP of 50 watts. The 7850 has a TDP of about 100 watts. So that 150 watts. That might be a bit high, since they're probably getting some efficiencies in combining them into a single APU, but given the kind of graphics they're pushing, a TDP of 35 watts seems much, much too low. I'd say we're probably somewhere in the 130-140 range.

Half speed usually uses less than half power, plus you're not taking into account the possibility of specifically binned chips or a minor redesign for power.

As far as I'm aware, the main GPU is distinct from the CPU, and the GPU cores in the CPU are more like what's in the A6-class APUs, Considering these, it's probably not all that high of a power consumption mark on the CPU itself.

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 7, 2013, 19:10 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 18:42:

So how many Passmarks are we suspecting this thing to do, around 5000?

My best guess? Probably in the 3750-4250 range.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Nov 7, 2013, 18:13 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 15:22:
I think it could be pretty cool to put CoD in space. Instead of helos, you could have armed command modules thrusting around 0G. Land battles could take place in space suits on the surface of the moon, in bases on Mars, etc. You could have armed rovers and such instead of tanks. I think there's a lot of potential for new gameplay mechanics with a setting like this, even if it is CoD.

The problem remains, of course, that it's CoD devs that are making it.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 7, 2013, 17:27 killer_roach

News Comments > Australian Ratings Reconsidered for 12 Games
7. Re: Australian Ratings Reconsidered for 12 Games Nov 7, 2013, 17:23 killer_roach

Talisorn wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 15:36:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 12:49:
And yet Manhunt remains at MA15+. I'll never understand Australian thinking.

I'm pretty sure that Manhunt is RC.

Yeah. I don't remember for sure on the original, but Manhunt 2 was definitely RC.

News Comments > Grim Dawn Early Access
22. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 17:22 killer_roach

Optional nickname wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 09:48:
will GD final 1.0 be out before year's end? or are we looking at early 2014? and what is the frequency that the team would implement major changes from this early access stage?

More like mid-late 2014, possibly early 2015. Very small team working on this one.

They do make semi-frequent changes based on feedback, though - they've been pretty responsive to things like that.

News Comments > etc., etc.
8. Re: Microsoft promises blablabla Nov 6, 2013, 23:06 killer_roach

wtf_man wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 21:40:
Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 20:41:
I give Microsoft the well-deserved five dismissive wanks. Shove those games up your ass, Peleno.

Windows 8... which is a double fuck off, for me.

Even still, while Titanfall looks cool and Project Spark may have some promise, I won't hold my breath until we start seeing Halo and Forza on Windows. Until then, it's basically just table scraps.

Side note: I find it weird that there are more downloadable titles console-exclusive to the PS3 on Steam than there are 360-exclusive XBLA titles on Steam (well, excluding XBLIG)...

1424 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo