Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1462 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
16. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 4, 2014, 20:24 killer_roach

panbient wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 17:00:
The only real question now is... would Rob Ford be the protagonist or the antagonist? hehehe

Both.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 4, 2014, 16:23 killer_roach

Axis wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 11:55:
Nexus 5.
Unlimited data/talk/sms.
2.5gig/month 4gLTE speed - total coverage in my area.
$45/month. No contract.
AT&T Straighttalk [edit]

Nuff said?

Problem is that StraightTalk doesn't count as AT&T - you have to switch to one of their on-contract plans for those credits. (Also, StraightTalk uses both AT&T and T-Mobile frequencies...)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2014, 15:47 killer_roach

Little different situation here weather-wise - but still, Kentucky is having some of their coldest weather ever. Got down to 6 last night (-8 wind chill) and might only be a high of 6 on Monday. Not much snow to speak of, however - but that's par for the course here.  

News Comments > Fallouts Returning to Steam
8. Re: Fallouts Returning to Steam Jan 3, 2014, 15:35 killer_roach

Razumen wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 13:49:
Did the GOG versions included extra support to make them work on newer machines? Wonder if they'll just drop them on Steam as-is like some other devs have done with their older titles...

All the GOG versions ran just fine on Windows 7, although I think that was mostly just because the first two ran in DOSbox.

News Comments > Criterion Cofounders Leave
6. Re: Criterion Cofounders Leave Jan 3, 2014, 15:34 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 15:22:
Creston wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 14:07:
"Just decided to start afresh and form a new games company with @FionaSperry #freshstart."

I'd lay even odds that five years from now he sells his company to EA again, because game devs never learn.

Not that it's bad for him?

1) Create studio to do what you want
2) Sell studio to EA for huge sum of money
3) Stay with EA for a few years, making the exact same game you used to make, only under a different title and with a bit less freedom
4) Leave EA with piles of cash under your arms
5) Repeat

Additionally, after that many years with the same studio, maybe it's best for them to start fresh, get some new blood in to the system, and work on something new. Can't say as to blame them, really.

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 3, 2014, 14:55 killer_roach

Tumbler wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 12:45:
Hmm my parents use T-Mobile and I just bought my mom a nexus 5. I'll have to check and see if it makes sense to trade in her old pos smart phone then activate the 5 on att. If the credits can be spent on monthly charges and the data is discounted by $15 a month that should be a big savings.

But you'll be locked into a two-year contract. I'm paying $50 a month for my T-Mobile plan, the equivalent from AT&T looks to be about $90. I'd have gassed through the entire credit in the first year of the contract...

News Comments > Deadpool Game Disappearance
14. Re: Deadpool Game Disappearance Jan 1, 2014, 21:15 killer_roach

Overon wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 19:55:
I wish the game was pulled to hide their shame. But alas it was probably pulled because of some licensing stuff. Not even with the mighty Marvel license did they make the expected return?

Well, Disney is handling all the licensing directly now, and I think they signed an exclusive deal with EA for Marvel just like they did with Star Wars.

Secondly, I think it likely lost money specifically because of the license - the requirements are high, and a lot of the revenue goes back to the licensor.

11. Re: Deadpool Game Disappearance Jan 1, 2014, 18:25 killer_roach

LittleMe wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 18:04:
So is this game dead in the water?

As dead as the studio that developed it, sadly.

9. Re: Deadpool Game Disappearance Jan 1, 2014, 17:59 killer_roach

GeneralAdmission wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 12:39:
As of a few minutes ago you could still buy a Steam key from Gamefly for 9.99-20% code GFDJAN20. I got mine and activated on Steam no problem.

Still works. Thanks!

News Comments > New Year's Eve Consolidation
15. Re: Tomb Raider producer defends $60 Definitive Edition Dec 31, 2013, 21:33 killer_roach

Fletch wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 18:52:
Would it have been that hard to slap an emulator chip onto the mainboard that kicks in whenever a PS3 game is inserted?

Yes, actually. By moving from Cell to AMD Jaguar, Sony is dealing with a slower CPU now with the PS4 (from the perspective of floating point - the PS4 is faster in integer calculations). They'd effectively have to put the PS3's CPU (and likely GPU) onto the PS4 mainboard, which would be a considerable cost increase in terms of manufacturing as well as drawing more power and making it that much more difficult to dissipate heat. Even in the case of Microsoft's consoles, where it's a bit more straightforward, eight x86 cores at 1.75GHz simply aren't going to have the grunt to emulate three physical PPC cores (six virtual) at 3.2GHz.

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 30, 2013, 23:39 killer_roach

Yay, Windows Phone finally gets FF3... while Android and iOS have had FFV for a while now, and are supposed to be getting FF6 pretty soon...  

News Comments > On Sale
17. Re: On Sale Dec 28, 2013, 19:34 killer_roach

nin wrote on Dec 28, 2013, 19:30:
Prez wrote on Dec 28, 2013, 19:01:
Contrary to what some have suggested I think this year's sale has been great. I've picked up lots of games for big discounts!

Yeah, I've seen some good deals. Better than previous sales...

It's been decent. My wallet's been largely safe, although I nearly got DmC when it was 75% off (but passed up on it because PSN+ users get it free next month), and almost got Assassin's Creed 3 (but passed in the hopes of getting the Deluxe Edition down to $10 before too long).

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
5. Re: Saturday Consolidation Dec 28, 2013, 18:21 killer_roach

Yosemite Sam wrote on Dec 28, 2013, 16:52:
Surprised to see GT5 on that list. Kinda seems like an underhanded way of forcing people into GT6.

GT5's multiplayer has been running for over three years now, and with GT6 out, the traffic on it has slowed to a trickle.

News Comments > On Sale
20. Re: On Sale Dec 27, 2013, 23:07 killer_roach

Jerykk wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 18:04:
GetGames has a pretty nice 2-for-$15 deal going on today. Cheapest prices yet for some of the games you can choose (Bioshock Infinite, The Bureau and Shadow Warrior for $7.50 each).

http://www.getloadedgo.com/

Already had all but two of those games, but I'll pay $15 gladly for The Bureau and Speedball 2 HD.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
4. Re: Saturday Mobilization Dec 21, 2013, 19:25 killer_roach

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 18:30:
The Vita is a piece of junk. Buy a pad, far superior and a lot greater variety of games. Can't believe there are so many stupid people out there.

Far superior? The Vita has the same GPU as the iPad 4 and arguably still a better CPU than the iPad Air (although Apple has done quite a bit in terms of masking that by offloading tasks to the GPU and doing heavy optimizations on its Web browser). Smaller, lower-resolution display, sure, but one's a two-year-old piece of hardware that sells for $189 and the other starts at $399 (and lacks discrete input or removable, expandable storage).

Also, point out to me one iPad game on the level (in both scope or production value) of, say, Persona 4, Soul Sacrifice, or Dragon's Crown. You have a large, wide variety on the iPad... of largely shallow, disposable games.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 21, 2013, 19:17 killer_roach

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 14:17:
Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 13:57:
Foolish protesters. According to people like Verno they deserve to be homeless and live in abject poverty and misery. Yay for social Darwinism! To hell with everyone and everything else!

I had given some thought to moving up to SF but it's around $1600 for a studio. Correction: $1600 for a small studio. If you're willing to live in the Tenderloin, i.e. the ghetto, you can get one for $1300 or so. I can see why longtime city residents who AREN'T white-collar professionals are feeling like their city is being taken away from them.

It's also one of the most-regulated property markets in the country. Lots of restrictions on what you can build, where you can build, and what you can do with it once it's built. As a result, you have a tightly restricted supply of residential properties and, due to the tech companies in the Bay Area, a lot of people looking to live there. Doesn't take a rocket scientist (or even an economist) to realize that will eventually spell disaster.

In the long run, they'll continue to experience a rent spiral, long-time residents continue to get squeezed out to the suburbs, and San Francisco becomes an increasingly exclusive place to live, to the point where if you're not making solid six figures, don't bother.

...on the bright side, they'll have their "local character" and "green spaces", which won't matter much when there's no chance in hell of affording access to them.

News Comments > On Sale
29. Re: On Sale Dec 21, 2013, 11:53 killer_roach

durandal wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 07:21:
Speaking of DA2, has those DLCs (or Bioware points) ever goes to sale?
I want to have complete experience from ME2, but paying 5-6 times more for the DLCs for 3 years game feel ridiculous.

Bioware DLC basically never goes on sale. Annoys me to no end.

News Comments > Steam Gifting/Trading Region Locks
21. Re: Steam Gifting/Trading Region Locks Dec 20, 2013, 20:16 killer_roach

Orogogus wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 19:46:
I think Brazilians pay a lot for video games for some reason, possibly extremely high import taxes.

Part is import duties, and part is that they are subject to a tax on "luxury goods", which is basically the Brazilian government's way of extracting money from anybody that actually has money.

News Comments > Steam Gifting/Trading Region Locks
18. Re: Steam Gifting/Trading Region Locks Dec 20, 2013, 18:02 killer_roach

PHJF wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 15:49:
The solution is to region-lock, and charge according to what people can afford. Everyone wins.

Except Australians.

Australian per-capita GDP is about 40% higher than the US. All things being equal, it means that prices could easily be 40% higher, and possibly more considering that games are, to some extent, a luxury good.

In terms of international trade, a lot of foreign goods will cost more in Australia because, while the Australian dollar is somewhat strong in terms of exchange, it's very weak compared to even the Euro and the Pound Sterling, much less the US or Canadian dollars, when it comes to purchasing power. (In other words, if you're doing business in Australia, you're likely best off not having offices there and just immediately convert your money to euros or dollars and get the hell out.)

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Dec 18, 2013, 23:35 killer_roach

A51Abductee wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 22:42:
Cutter wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 20:44:
1 more sleep until the madness begins!

I got a slight head start and just picked up Shadow Warrior. Will rationalize it by calling it a "wallet warm-up."

I got Shadow Warrior a couple of days ago from a similar sale on the Humble Store - that way I got a DRM-free copy and a Steam key.

1462 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo