Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1471 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures No Longer Being Sold
4. Re: Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures No Longer Being Sold Jan 18, 2014, 21:21 killer_roach

Zarkonis wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 11:08:
At least these guys were up front as to why it was getting pulled, unlike some certain other companies.

Would've been better of them to say "hey, this is expiring soon, grab it while you can"... GOG's done that a few times.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 18, 2014, 11:15 killer_roach

Verno wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 13:51:
Iwata's head might be on the chopping block, those forecasts from last year were insane.

Well, from Nintendo's perspective, selling 9m Wii U systems in a year, considering all previous history, likely seemed like a conservative estimate... the fact that they missed, and missed by that much, should likely require a rethink of the direction they are going with the Wii U moving forward. If it gets passed up in install base by the PS4 and XB1 this quickly (if it hasn't already), they may have already dealt themselves irreparable damage in terms of trying to attract third parties.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
20. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 17, 2014, 14:23 killer_roach

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 08:57:
I worked at Amazon for about 9 months. During the summer, an ambulance sat out front just waiting for people to pass out from the heat in a certain section of the building. That was their solution, NOT installing better airflow/cooling to a small, specific area. The rest of the building was sweltering hot as well but it's unsurprising that they didnt air condition a building that's over a quarter mile long (and is still expanding).

Also, we shipped chocolate out of there, middle of summer. Don't order chocolate from Amazon.

Yeah, the building where I work just got air conditioning this summer. I have heard the horror stories. Thankfully, all the newer warehouses are air-conditioned by default. They don't keep them very cool, but it's not uncomfortable anymore either.

To be honest, your comment about chocolate is probably more accurately the reason why they installed the air conditioning, but still.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 17, 2014, 01:57 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 22:49:
Unions set a living wage, as they decline notice so did the others. Now Gov't Unions cost us, I'm not totally against, but private unions, we need more to get the wage scale moving again.

Actually, unions really aren't very good at setting higher wages except in the cases of skilled labor - and most of the private sector unions anymore are unskilled labor (remember, the largest private sector union right now is the UFCW). After all, the biggest bargaining chip that a union has in generating higher wages is the argument of "where else are you going to get more workers who can do what our guys do?". (In the case of unskilled labor, management's typical answer is "everywhere".) Where they tend to excel for unskilled labor is in addressing concerns with working conditions where management has frequently turned a blind eye to the concerns of the worker.

Amazon really doesn't have as much of an issue with that, largely due to having a very flat organizational chart and a focus on making management get out and interact on a regular basis with the rank and file employees. (The article's mention of Amazon's safety record also is notable, though - many facilities will go an entire year or more without a lost-time injury, despite employing a thousand or more full-time employees and up to five thousand temporary employees.)

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Ending
27. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 23:45 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 23:34:
Maybe now with so much crapware getting on Steam people will FINALLY stop accusing me of buying every game on Steam. I own less than 40% of their current catalog, thank you very much!

If it's cheap enough, I might still give some of it a chance But still... I'm all in favor of a more wide-open store, but there also should be some sort of a system for being able to filter out titles or have a curated selection.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 15, 2014, 21:45 killer_roach

Hadn't realized that there wasn't official Vita support in Unity until now, seeing as one of the first Vita games (Escape Plan) was developed using it...  

News Comments > Double Dragon Neon for Steam Nears
6. Re: Double Dragon Neon for Steam Nears Jan 9, 2014, 16:59 killer_roach

ViRGE wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 10:16:
They're about a year and a half late on this one, especially since it garnered such mediocre reviews in its console releases.

And mediocre is being generous to it. Seriously, it's the Flatout 3 of beat-em-ups.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
11. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 9, 2014, 02:17 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 02:10:
verybad1 wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 00:58:
I don't buy consoles, but I would prefer that both major players do about equally well. Lack of competition isn't good for anyone, including PC users.

I'd prefer Sony crush them and MS return its focus - OS and games - solely to the PC.

Well, if Elop (as expected) becomes the next CEO, MS might just try to strike a deal to license software to Sony for console networking and then focus on Windows (although probably not much with gaming then, either - Elop wants Microsoft to focus on the enterprise).

News Comments > More Steam Greenlights
4. Re: More Steam Greenlights Jan 8, 2014, 01:23 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 23:44:
Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 23:41:
50 more "Buy Early Access" games right?
As long as valve doesn't have to do the tedious work in playing and deciding, they are fine with early access.

I wonder if any steam early access game has gone final yet.

Not sure, although I have purchased one game from Steam only for it to go into Early Access later...

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
16. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 4, 2014, 20:24 killer_roach

panbient wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 17:00:
The only real question now is... would Rob Ford be the protagonist or the antagonist? hehehe

Both.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 4, 2014, 16:23 killer_roach

Axis wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 11:55:
Nexus 5.
Unlimited data/talk/sms.
2.5gig/month 4gLTE speed - total coverage in my area.
$45/month. No contract.
AT&T Straighttalk [edit]

Nuff said?

Problem is that StraightTalk doesn't count as AT&T - you have to switch to one of their on-contract plans for those credits. (Also, StraightTalk uses both AT&T and T-Mobile frequencies...)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2014, 15:47 killer_roach

Little different situation here weather-wise - but still, Kentucky is having some of their coldest weather ever. Got down to 6 last night (-8 wind chill) and might only be a high of 6 on Monday. Not much snow to speak of, however - but that's par for the course here.  

News Comments > Fallouts Returning to Steam
8. Re: Fallouts Returning to Steam Jan 3, 2014, 15:35 killer_roach

Razumen wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 13:49:
Did the GOG versions included extra support to make them work on newer machines? Wonder if they'll just drop them on Steam as-is like some other devs have done with their older titles...

All the GOG versions ran just fine on Windows 7, although I think that was mostly just because the first two ran in DOSbox.

News Comments > Criterion Cofounders Leave
6. Re: Criterion Cofounders Leave Jan 3, 2014, 15:34 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 15:22:
Creston wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 14:07:
"Just decided to start afresh and form a new games company with @FionaSperry #freshstart."

I'd lay even odds that five years from now he sells his company to EA again, because game devs never learn.

Not that it's bad for him?

1) Create studio to do what you want
2) Sell studio to EA for huge sum of money
3) Stay with EA for a few years, making the exact same game you used to make, only under a different title and with a bit less freedom
4) Leave EA with piles of cash under your arms
5) Repeat

Additionally, after that many years with the same studio, maybe it's best for them to start fresh, get some new blood in to the system, and work on something new. Can't say as to blame them, really.

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 3, 2014, 14:55 killer_roach

Tumbler wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 12:45:
Hmm my parents use T-Mobile and I just bought my mom a nexus 5. I'll have to check and see if it makes sense to trade in her old pos smart phone then activate the 5 on att. If the credits can be spent on monthly charges and the data is discounted by $15 a month that should be a big savings.

But you'll be locked into a two-year contract. I'm paying $50 a month for my T-Mobile plan, the equivalent from AT&T looks to be about $90. I'd have gassed through the entire credit in the first year of the contract...

News Comments > Deadpool Game Disappearance
14. Re: Deadpool Game Disappearance Jan 1, 2014, 21:15 killer_roach

Overon wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 19:55:
I wish the game was pulled to hide their shame. But alas it was probably pulled because of some licensing stuff. Not even with the mighty Marvel license did they make the expected return?

Well, Disney is handling all the licensing directly now, and I think they signed an exclusive deal with EA for Marvel just like they did with Star Wars.

Secondly, I think it likely lost money specifically because of the license - the requirements are high, and a lot of the revenue goes back to the licensor.

11. Re: Deadpool Game Disappearance Jan 1, 2014, 18:25 killer_roach

LittleMe wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 18:04:
So is this game dead in the water?

As dead as the studio that developed it, sadly.

9. Re: Deadpool Game Disappearance Jan 1, 2014, 17:59 killer_roach

GeneralAdmission wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 12:39:
As of a few minutes ago you could still buy a Steam key from Gamefly for 9.99-20% code GFDJAN20. I got mine and activated on Steam no problem.

Still works. Thanks!

News Comments > New Year's Eve Consolidation
15. Re: Tomb Raider producer defends $60 Definitive Edition Dec 31, 2013, 21:33 killer_roach

Fletch wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 18:52:
Would it have been that hard to slap an emulator chip onto the mainboard that kicks in whenever a PS3 game is inserted?

Yes, actually. By moving from Cell to AMD Jaguar, Sony is dealing with a slower CPU now with the PS4 (from the perspective of floating point - the PS4 is faster in integer calculations). They'd effectively have to put the PS3's CPU (and likely GPU) onto the PS4 mainboard, which would be a considerable cost increase in terms of manufacturing as well as drawing more power and making it that much more difficult to dissipate heat. Even in the case of Microsoft's consoles, where it's a bit more straightforward, eight x86 cores at 1.75GHz simply aren't going to have the grunt to emulate three physical PPC cores (six virtual) at 3.2GHz.

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 30, 2013, 23:39 killer_roach

Yay, Windows Phone finally gets FF3... while Android and iOS have had FFV for a while now, and are supposed to be getting FF6 pretty soon...  

1471 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo