Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1471 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded
8. Re: Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded Feb 21, 2014, 14:13 killer_roach

Yakubs wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 13:55:
I backed it but I havent played part 1 yet because I want to play the whole game at once. My understanding, though, is that part 1 is (a) extremely short and (b) extremely easy. If that's the case and part 2 is more of the same then I will never purchase another Tim Schafer product again.

Somehow I feel you won't be missed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2014, 14:01 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 12:58:
Sony has had a headset, the question is how does this one differ and how close does it start to get to the Oculus? Oh and price.

Apparently their old headset was simply a head-mounted display - this one is expected to have motion tracking and all of the other goodies that would be expected from a virtual reality headset. I haven't heard any concrete details on what they're adding, but the talk is that it's supposed to be comparable to the Oculus Rift - for now, I'd assume that pretty much whatever it can do this new headset likely will also.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 21, 2014, 13:55 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 12:36:
nin wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 09:27:
Amazon rebrands LoveFilm, ups Prime subscription price.

Guessing this is UK only (so far)? My rebill this coming July is still listed @ $79...

Yeah, I checked mine right after I read this - it's still listed at $79. 49 to 79 pounds is a pretty hefty jump for our friends across the pond though. Is the acquisition/integration with "LoveFilm" worth it?

Keep in mind they did not have any video streaming in the UK Prime membership before.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
8. Re: Evening Interviews Feb 20, 2014, 22:14 killer_roach

Kitkoan wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 20:47:
Problem with things like this about indie games and the future is they want to point out games like Flappy Bird, Minecraft, Super Meat Boy, and Braid while ignoring the fact for every one of these, there are hundreds of clones of these games made by... dun dun dun... indies.

For every unique indie maker, there are a ton just as quick to chase a buck like the big corps.

Then again, the main advantage of indies is, for lack of a better term, sheer quantity. There's a lot of utter detritus, but with that much being thrown out there, there's a chance that something turns out really good.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Feb 20, 2014, 01:55 killer_roach

Fantaz wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 01:30:
[...]
That was when I started to hear a lot from People In The Industry about how people at the studio were unhappy at work. I heard from People in the Industry that turnover at Irrational was very high. More than one Person in the Industry told me that almost no-one who made original BioShock stayed on to make Infinite. At the time, a year out from shipping, Someone Who Worked There told me they believed the studio would close if Infinite didn't sell very, very well.
[...]

i keep reading about great game companies closing up shop every year. there needs to be standards put in place or something to prevent project from going over budget and beyond their scope. maybe they're not using better software project management methodologies or just corporate likes to fuck everything up. i think they could implement all their triple-A ideas, script and lore writing, and design if they just did things right.

It's the great tradeoff between the bean counters and the developers - the suits know how to manage resources, but they're so unfamiliar with the process that development staff gets burned out or they start cutting corners to meet demands... on the other hand, the veteran developers know their personnel, know the process and what their team is capable of, but usually lack the strategic vision necessary to get their project out the door on time and on budget. (Over time you'll probably start seeing what happened in a lot of emerging/evolving industries - the people in the field, in this case the developers, go to business school, get their MBAs, and apply the business stuff to what they already know about making games.)

News Comments > 50 More Titles Greenlit on Steam
7. Re: 50 More Titles Greenlit on Steam Feb 20, 2014, 01:47 killer_roach

Through my usual perusal of my folder of indie games I've snagged through various bundles, I see I have 2.8 of the games on this list (counting the Millennium series as one, of which I only have the first four, but they aren't really that good anyway).  

News Comments > Morning Patches
1. Re: Morning Patches Feb 19, 2014, 20:38 killer_roach

The terrible secret of space, you say?

(For those who got a bad nostalgia flashback, I'm kinda not sorry.)

News Comments > Sacred 3 This Summer
6. Re: Sacred 3 This Summer Feb 19, 2014, 18:33 killer_roach

Jivaro wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 18:03:
I loved the first two, looking forward to another one.

Agreed, I even liked 2, bugs and all (although the Blind Guardian quest line may have helped).

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Feb 19, 2014, 14:01 killer_roach

jimnms wrote on Feb 18, 2014, 22:32:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 18, 2014, 19:57:
GODDAMMIT. Another Humble Bundle full of stuff I want: Swapper, Antichamber, Monaco, Dust. *sigh*

For me it's GODDAMMIT. Another Humble bundle full of games I already have and only one game I want. I think the last three bundles have been like that, and the only game I want and don't have was in the BTA tier. At least this time it's in the name your price tier, so I guess I can toss in a few bucks to get it.

I just bought Monaco from the Humble Store on a sale a couple weeks ago, so all I don't have are The Swapper and Antichamber.

...at that price, though... what the hell.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 11, 2014, 21:07 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 14:07:
Verizon Offering $60 Voice, Text, 2GB Data Plan to Loyal Users.

See what a little competition will do? Thank you T Mobile!

It's been around for a little while, although the details vary. Then again, they roped my girlfriend into doing that plan when they started messing with her unlimited plan, mysteriously dropping data every so often once she went past 2GB...

...funny thing was, the next day I went into the T-Mobile store here, got my Xperia Z1S, and changed my plan over to unlimited data. She's not amused by my choice at present.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
4. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 9, 2014, 19:01 killer_roach

Redmask wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 13:24:
Sony makes a lot of great hardware but they charge way too much money for it: VAIO, TVs and receivers are good examples. When your competition is beating you on price margins by 30-60% your brand will only take you so far with consumers. It would be different if maybe the warranty support made up for it but I've had several problems with Sony warranties in the past and some were much shorter than was expected when you're paying for a premium product.

Their TVs aren't too badly priced anymore - they cost more than Philips or Vizio, but they're usually cheaper than Samsung (although Samsung keeps making their older-generation models to fill in the gaps in the low end of the market). Vaio laptops started to get into a more sane range, but those, effectively, are no more (Sony sold the brand, and I doubt the new owners will offer anything comparable of a product). Their big lodestone is still doing so much of their manufacturing in Japan, which not only is prohibitively expensive but also is ill-suited for export to the US or Europe.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 7, 2014, 13:56 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 13:08:
In any case, even if the guy did use shady marketing, I don't care. Mongrel sheep who buy games just because they're at the top of the popularity list deserve to be fleeced for every dime anyway.

It's a free game...

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
9. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 31, 2014, 02:05 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 23:05:
Wow this marketing ploy smacks of some serious desperation. Not sure why though; despite being second in sales to PS4 the XBone is still selling pretty well from what I read recently.

Then again, the US is the stronghold for the Xbox. If they're falling behind here, they're likely getting annihilated elsewhere.

At this point, though, with neither really having large amounts of stock available (Amazon is sold out of both), the sales numbers at this point are largely irrelevant.

But moves like this do make me think that Microsoft is worried about keeping sales up in the US.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
7. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 29, 2014, 20:13 killer_roach

Bill Borre wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 19:56:
Go Edward!

Keep in mind that being nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize doesn't mean that much in and of itself - a fairly sizable number of people are nominated every year.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
8. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 26, 2014, 20:34 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 18:00:
Fantaz wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 15:21:
why the hell would i want an 8K screen on my phone let alone 1080p? at around 5 inches you don't even notice the difference between 720p and 1080p.

I have both a 720P and a 1080P phone, both with nearly 5" screens, so I've compared them. There is a difference, barely. Text and graphics on the 1080P are smoother and aliased. There are slightly noticeable jaggies on the 720p. That being said, the 1080P looks amazingly sharp and clear. You can't detect the pixels without a magnifying glass. The resolution is already true to life at that size screen. 4K or 8K will offer nothing over 1080P in a phone.

Pretty much the same here. I like having 1080p on a phone display, but beyond that is overkill. First Qualcomm really needs to improve being able to drive 3D graphics on 1080p mobile displays, then they can talk about trying to up the ante (I wouldn't mind a 4K tablet in the 10-12" range, but anything less than that would be overkill - hell, the 2560x1600 resolution on the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 borders on overkill).

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 25, 2014, 15:28 killer_roach

shihonage wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 06:46:
Don't believe the "dispelling HD myth" article. Stay away from Seagate drives, they're shit, and have been shit for a very long time.

Yeah, the dispelling article basically points out that Backblaze stores their drives in sub-optimal conditions. While that may be true... they're also uniformly sub-optimal, meaning the conclusions are likely still valid.

As for personal experience, I've had good luck with WD, Hitachi, and Samsung drives, and Seagate has been, well, pretty miserable (I have yet to have a Seagate drive last four years, and most failed inside of two).

5. Re: Into the Black Jan 24, 2014, 22:36 killer_roach

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 22:21:
I'm not defending the practice of these companies, but the salaries in the Silicon Valley area is absolutely insane. I have a friend that is a mid level designer and he just got a $110k job out there. He wasn't making $60k in NYC.

Positions comparable to mine out there are going for as high as $250k (web developer, infrastructure architect) which is way higher than what I make in the NYC market.

Not sure how you fix this problem, because these salaries are not sustainable. We are in a bubble now, but it's not going to last. I think you'll end up seeing these companies doing more international recruiting in the next few years (possibly to south america which has some amazing talent).

I think you'll see relocation happening first - the Bay Area, San Francisco and San Jose in particular, is an exceptionally expensive place to live. If you want to live near work, you'll be paying more to live there than you would in midtown Manhattan.

3. Re: Into the Black Jan 24, 2014, 20:54 killer_roach

NegaDeath wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 20:08:
"The Techtopus: How Silicon Valley’s most celebrated CEOs conspired to drive down 100,000 tech engineers’ wages"

*reads*

Angry

Google, Apple, Intel, Adobe, Intuit, Pixar......even fucking George Lucas?

This needs a new swear word, the old ones are insufficient.

Yeah... the ultimate goal here is to largely freeze highly qualified experienced employees from moving through the industry, which would kneecap the upper range of the wage scale for new hires.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 23, 2014, 02:09 killer_roach

Redmask wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 21:35:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 14:32:
Maybe now AMD can produce proper CPU's again that aren't total crap compared to Intel's I7 line....

With the direction the market is moving I'm not sure it matters that much anymore. Companies seem to care more about power and IGP performance. They're slower than Intel but still good enough for most practical purposes. I hope mobile leads to better battery tech or something because we're seeing a fair amount of stagnation in other traditional performance areas.

The problem is that AMD is pretty awful in competing on power also.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
9. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 20, 2014, 20:27 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 18:23:
13 GB is pretty ridiculous. Although in a few years with faster download times it won't be such a big deal.

And I thought the two 1-1.5GB patches Gran Turismo 6 has had so far were bad enough...

1471 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo