Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1441 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
4. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 9, 2014, 19:01 killer_roach

Redmask wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 13:24:
Sony makes a lot of great hardware but they charge way too much money for it: VAIO, TVs and receivers are good examples. When your competition is beating you on price margins by 30-60% your brand will only take you so far with consumers. It would be different if maybe the warranty support made up for it but I've had several problems with Sony warranties in the past and some were much shorter than was expected when you're paying for a premium product.

Their TVs aren't too badly priced anymore - they cost more than Philips or Vizio, but they're usually cheaper than Samsung (although Samsung keeps making their older-generation models to fill in the gaps in the low end of the market). Vaio laptops started to get into a more sane range, but those, effectively, are no more (Sony sold the brand, and I doubt the new owners will offer anything comparable of a product). Their big lodestone is still doing so much of their manufacturing in Japan, which not only is prohibitively expensive but also is ill-suited for export to the US or Europe.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 7, 2014, 13:56 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 13:08:
In any case, even if the guy did use shady marketing, I don't care. Mongrel sheep who buy games just because they're at the top of the popularity list deserve to be fleeced for every dime anyway.

It's a free game...

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
9. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 31, 2014, 02:05 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 23:05:
Wow this marketing ploy smacks of some serious desperation. Not sure why though; despite being second in sales to PS4 the XBone is still selling pretty well from what I read recently.

Then again, the US is the stronghold for the Xbox. If they're falling behind here, they're likely getting annihilated elsewhere.

At this point, though, with neither really having large amounts of stock available (Amazon is sold out of both), the sales numbers at this point are largely irrelevant.

But moves like this do make me think that Microsoft is worried about keeping sales up in the US.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
7. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 29, 2014, 20:13 killer_roach

Bill Borre wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 19:56:
Go Edward!

Keep in mind that being nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize doesn't mean that much in and of itself - a fairly sizable number of people are nominated every year.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
8. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 26, 2014, 20:34 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 18:00:
Fantaz wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 15:21:
why the hell would i want an 8K screen on my phone let alone 1080p? at around 5 inches you don't even notice the difference between 720p and 1080p.

I have both a 720P and a 1080P phone, both with nearly 5" screens, so I've compared them. There is a difference, barely. Text and graphics on the 1080P are smoother and aliased. There are slightly noticeable jaggies on the 720p. That being said, the 1080P looks amazingly sharp and clear. You can't detect the pixels without a magnifying glass. The resolution is already true to life at that size screen. 4K or 8K will offer nothing over 1080P in a phone.

Pretty much the same here. I like having 1080p on a phone display, but beyond that is overkill. First Qualcomm really needs to improve being able to drive 3D graphics on 1080p mobile displays, then they can talk about trying to up the ante (I wouldn't mind a 4K tablet in the 10-12" range, but anything less than that would be overkill - hell, the 2560x1600 resolution on the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 borders on overkill).

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 25, 2014, 15:28 killer_roach

shihonage wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 06:46:
Don't believe the "dispelling HD myth" article. Stay away from Seagate drives, they're shit, and have been shit for a very long time.

Yeah, the dispelling article basically points out that Backblaze stores their drives in sub-optimal conditions. While that may be true... they're also uniformly sub-optimal, meaning the conclusions are likely still valid.

As for personal experience, I've had good luck with WD, Hitachi, and Samsung drives, and Seagate has been, well, pretty miserable (I have yet to have a Seagate drive last four years, and most failed inside of two).

5. Re: Into the Black Jan 24, 2014, 22:36 killer_roach

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 22:21:
I'm not defending the practice of these companies, but the salaries in the Silicon Valley area is absolutely insane. I have a friend that is a mid level designer and he just got a $110k job out there. He wasn't making $60k in NYC.

Positions comparable to mine out there are going for as high as $250k (web developer, infrastructure architect) which is way higher than what I make in the NYC market.

Not sure how you fix this problem, because these salaries are not sustainable. We are in a bubble now, but it's not going to last. I think you'll end up seeing these companies doing more international recruiting in the next few years (possibly to south america which has some amazing talent).

I think you'll see relocation happening first - the Bay Area, San Francisco and San Jose in particular, is an exceptionally expensive place to live. If you want to live near work, you'll be paying more to live there than you would in midtown Manhattan.

3. Re: Into the Black Jan 24, 2014, 20:54 killer_roach

NegaDeath wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 20:08:
"The Techtopus: How Silicon Valley’s most celebrated CEOs conspired to drive down 100,000 tech engineers’ wages"

*reads*

Angry

Google, Apple, Intel, Adobe, Intuit, Pixar......even fucking George Lucas?

This needs a new swear word, the old ones are insufficient.

Yeah... the ultimate goal here is to largely freeze highly qualified experienced employees from moving through the industry, which would kneecap the upper range of the wage scale for new hires.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 23, 2014, 02:09 killer_roach

Redmask wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 21:35:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 14:32:
Maybe now AMD can produce proper CPU's again that aren't total crap compared to Intel's I7 line....

With the direction the market is moving I'm not sure it matters that much anymore. Companies seem to care more about power and IGP performance. They're slower than Intel but still good enough for most practical purposes. I hope mobile leads to better battery tech or something because we're seeing a fair amount of stagnation in other traditional performance areas.

The problem is that AMD is pretty awful in competing on power also.

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 20, 2014, 20:27 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 18:23:
13 GB is pretty ridiculous. Although in a few years with faster download times it won't be such a big deal.

And I thought the two 1-1.5GB patches Gran Turismo 6 has had so far were bad enough...

News Comments > Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures No Longer Being Sold
4. Re: Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures No Longer Being Sold Jan 18, 2014, 21:21 killer_roach

Zarkonis wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 11:08:
At least these guys were up front as to why it was getting pulled, unlike some certain other companies.

Would've been better of them to say "hey, this is expiring soon, grab it while you can"... GOG's done that a few times.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 18, 2014, 11:15 killer_roach

Verno wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 13:51:
Iwata's head might be on the chopping block, those forecasts from last year were insane.

Well, from Nintendo's perspective, selling 9m Wii U systems in a year, considering all previous history, likely seemed like a conservative estimate... the fact that they missed, and missed by that much, should likely require a rethink of the direction they are going with the Wii U moving forward. If it gets passed up in install base by the PS4 and XB1 this quickly (if it hasn't already), they may have already dealt themselves irreparable damage in terms of trying to attract third parties.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
20. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 17, 2014, 14:23 killer_roach

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 08:57:
I worked at Amazon for about 9 months. During the summer, an ambulance sat out front just waiting for people to pass out from the heat in a certain section of the building. That was their solution, NOT installing better airflow/cooling to a small, specific area. The rest of the building was sweltering hot as well but it's unsurprising that they didnt air condition a building that's over a quarter mile long (and is still expanding).

Also, we shipped chocolate out of there, middle of summer. Don't order chocolate from Amazon.

Yeah, the building where I work just got air conditioning this summer. I have heard the horror stories. Thankfully, all the newer warehouses are air-conditioned by default. They don't keep them very cool, but it's not uncomfortable anymore either.

To be honest, your comment about chocolate is probably more accurately the reason why they installed the air conditioning, but still.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 17, 2014, 01:57 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 22:49:
Unions set a living wage, as they decline notice so did the others. Now Gov't Unions cost us, I'm not totally against, but private unions, we need more to get the wage scale moving again.

Actually, unions really aren't very good at setting higher wages except in the cases of skilled labor - and most of the private sector unions anymore are unskilled labor (remember, the largest private sector union right now is the UFCW). After all, the biggest bargaining chip that a union has in generating higher wages is the argument of "where else are you going to get more workers who can do what our guys do?". (In the case of unskilled labor, management's typical answer is "everywhere".) Where they tend to excel for unskilled labor is in addressing concerns with working conditions where management has frequently turned a blind eye to the concerns of the worker.

Amazon really doesn't have as much of an issue with that, largely due to having a very flat organizational chart and a focus on making management get out and interact on a regular basis with the rank and file employees. (The article's mention of Amazon's safety record also is notable, though - many facilities will go an entire year or more without a lost-time injury, despite employing a thousand or more full-time employees and up to five thousand temporary employees.)

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Ending
27. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 23:45 killer_roach

Prez wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 23:34:
Maybe now with so much crapware getting on Steam people will FINALLY stop accusing me of buying every game on Steam. I own less than 40% of their current catalog, thank you very much!

If it's cheap enough, I might still give some of it a chance But still... I'm all in favor of a more wide-open store, but there also should be some sort of a system for being able to filter out titles or have a curated selection.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 15, 2014, 21:45 killer_roach

Hadn't realized that there wasn't official Vita support in Unity until now, seeing as one of the first Vita games (Escape Plan) was developed using it...  

News Comments > Double Dragon Neon for Steam Nears
6. Re: Double Dragon Neon for Steam Nears Jan 9, 2014, 16:59 killer_roach

ViRGE wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 10:16:
They're about a year and a half late on this one, especially since it garnered such mediocre reviews in its console releases.

And mediocre is being generous to it. Seriously, it's the Flatout 3 of beat-em-ups.

11. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 9, 2014, 02:17 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 02:10:
verybad1 wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 00:58:
I don't buy consoles, but I would prefer that both major players do about equally well. Lack of competition isn't good for anyone, including PC users.

I'd prefer Sony crush them and MS return its focus - OS and games - solely to the PC.

Well, if Elop (as expected) becomes the next CEO, MS might just try to strike a deal to license software to Sony for console networking and then focus on Windows (although probably not much with gaming then, either - Elop wants Microsoft to focus on the enterprise).

News Comments > More Steam Greenlights
4. Re: More Steam Greenlights Jan 8, 2014, 01:23 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 23:44:
Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 23:41:
50 more "Buy Early Access" games right?
As long as valve doesn't have to do the tedious work in playing and deciding, they are fine with early access.

I wonder if any steam early access game has gone final yet.

Not sure, although I have purchased one game from Steam only for it to go into Early Access later...

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
16. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 4, 2014, 20:24 killer_roach

panbient wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 17:00:
The only real question now is... would Rob Ford be the protagonist or the antagonist? hehehe

Both.

1441 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo