Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1471 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 21, 2014, 17:14 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 16:43:
Although I know it's not everyone's favorite, there have been some fantastic games made with UE3. I'm really excited to see what will be made with UE4.

Not just some fantastic games, but some made by very small studios in surprisingly short amounts of time. This last generation of game engines have really flattened the capabilities of developers, and that's a good thing - makes it that much easier for a small group of people with good ideas to make a surprisingly decent game, and make it look and behave like something that came from a studio with considerably greater resources. (Quite possibly the biggest revolution amongst indie studios lately has been the improvement in polish in games from studios that actually care about such things, and these newer engines do go a long way to contributing to that.)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > 75 More Steam Greenlights
8. Re: 75 More Steam Greenlights Mar 19, 2014, 22:52 killer_roach

Rigs wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 22:06:
The 'Desert Thunder' game seems to be a PC 're-make' or 'clone' of the SEGA Model 2 arcade game 'Desert Tank'...as seen here: http://gamesdbase.com/game/sega-model-2/desert-tank.aspx

As for 'Desert Gunner'...that one (1) review seems to think it's the best damn thing to happen to STEAM, so apparently someone's happy...

=-Rigs-=

So apparently at least one person developed it...

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
4. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 16, 2014, 23:28 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 19:22:
"Veronica Mars" Film Backers Get Refunds.

...Aaaaaand that's the last time a movie property owned by a major studio gets kickstarted.

At the very least, not without asking more questions on how fulfillment will occur, and even then it might be difficult for the majors that don't have experience with smaller sorts of productions (i.e. I could see more trust for a project handled by Sony Pictures Classics or Fox Searchlight than, say, Warner Brothers or Disney).

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 in a Browser
10. Re: Unreal Engine 4 in a Browser Mar 13, 2014, 23:32 killer_roach

publicENEMY wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 00:50:
As a pc user; Why would i want to download source code, compile it on my pc, store it on my ram before i can run it every single time i want to play? could you not just give platform optimized binary and all i have to do i run it?

For those that dont understand what im blabbering about, try running a decent webgl game and watch your resource utilization. and dont forget to capture the time you started to play webgl game and time when you actually play the game.

as a pc user, i hate webgl, html5 and javascript(declarative language anyone?). its flawed by design.

Agree. Why use asm.js when they could just as easily use something like Google Native Web Client, something that gets closer to native performance while actually supporting proper multithreading (which JS doesn't)?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 11, 2014, 00:19 killer_roach

Ant wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 21:30:
I still prefer physical medias especially with videos since Internet can be slow, unstable, DRM, etc.

Not to mention that, at present, even "Super HD" from Netflix is pretty rubbish quality compared to a Blu-Ray disc. Hell, there are some films on Blu-Ray where the AUDIO bitrate is higher than the total bitrate on a Netflix stream...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 10, 2014, 18:54 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 16:18:
Having 300GB archive disks sounds cool. I'm sure they'll be bloody expensive to start with, but if prices come down, it could be a cheap and effective way to archive all the data I've collected, which I back up on a 2TB hard drive.

Nothing new, either - I know Pioneer has demoed huge multi-layer Blu-Ray discs in the past.

News Comments > East vs. West Cancelled; Knocked
5. Re: East vs. West Cancelled; Knocked Mar 9, 2014, 20:09 killer_roach

Julio wrote on Mar 9, 2014, 13:21:
I can see why they're trying to distance themselves given Indiegogo gives them the money even if they don't hit their goal.

There's a few ways an Indiegogo campaign can work, although most people that use it instead of Kickstarter use it precisely because they can access the money even if they don't hit their goal.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Mar 8, 2014, 17:22 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 8, 2014, 13:15:
I was thinking the Infinity team was fine that sold a crap load. How people that knock games around here regularly like Infinity, is so far beyond me. Everything is third rate and the spell put on people is "cute action figures" that sit on a plate. Back in the day, having a character choice to play in game, didn't require one buying a inanimate action figure. What a coup...

In all fairness to that studio, Disney has had a track record of canning studios that made successful games. Even the Infinity devs weren't safe.

As for your complaints, it's a competent enough action/platformer with a lot of DLC that actually comes with something tangible to show for it. Some people pay that much or more for figurines without anything game-related with them... (granted, the game or the figures aren't quite as good a value proposition as Skylanders, but the collectible value of the Disney Infinity figures is greater because they're recognizable characters, as opposed to the garish mess that Skylanders is).

News Comments > Interceptor Sees Blood?
13. Re: Interceptor Sees Blood? Mar 8, 2014, 17:05 killer_roach

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 8, 2014, 16:43:
So they buy 3D Realms for Duke Nukem, even though Gearbox now owns it, and their next move is Blood, even though that also has nothing to do with 3D Realms.

I'm not sure I see where their business logic is coming from.

Actually, 3D Realms is supposedly partially in possession of the Blood IP, with Infogrames/Atari holding the rest. The question is whether they can figure out dealing with French lawyers...

News Comments > Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn Plans
15. Re: Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn Plans Mar 8, 2014, 00:48 killer_roach

nin wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 08:53:
Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 02:14:
Cutter wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 22:32:
Saboth wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 20:56:
Shaq has a reported net worth of 350+ million dollars. They want 450k to make a game about him. Seems like if he had faith in it, he'd put up most/all of it, for a return on investment?

I was just going to add that myself. Just say no to funding mufti-millionaires who can easily fund their own projects.

Agreed. Put up or shut the fuck up, Shaq.

Let's not forget this guy rented 400 apartments for hurricane katrina victims.

If you're not sure a project is going to be successful, crowdsourcing will give you a pretty good idea, up front. I suspect that's why he did it.

Yeah, it seems like a lot of the higher-tier rewards for this project are just simply "fun" things, which would indicate just that. Heck, there's a couple of those that I'd consider if I had the money to do so, and that's even with the realization that the game might not ever come out (and, even if it did, that it might not be any good).

News Comments > Morning Interviews
11. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 5, 2014, 19:58 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 15:33:
Spoken by someone who's never worked a restaurant in her life, much less a high end one. Most chefs are insane, abused and abusive assholes who are both drunks and/or drug addicts. They're fucking tyrants and they're incredibly myopic. Their experimenting is predicated on a foundation of absolutes. They don't just throw a bunch of shit in a pot and see what happens. It's very generally minor innovations on established norms. And its far easier controlling costs on creating a single dish or cocktail then an entire game. And while it has appeal to a tiny few, most won't splurge on said creations. There are plenty of weird games out there no one has ever heard of...guess why.

A lot of times they run their kitchen to the detriment of the restaurant meaning everyone else has to pick up the slack. Long hours, late nights, high costs, high stress. No, it's really no fun at all and the only reason people do it is A) the money is really good and B) it looks great on a resume and for networking. It's certainly not for family oriented people looking for 9-5 with full benes and weekends off. As someone who's worked in both industries, I can say unequivocally that restos are far more hellish and not something to strive for as a business model. There's are plenty of reasons that restos fail more than any other business by a damn sight.

Why does gaming media keep treating this broad like she's some master game designer when she's done exactly jack? Afraid to come off looking like misogynists?

Then again, you just described most game development studios as well. The parallel might be closer than you're willing to admit

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
16. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 5, 2014, 19:41 killer_roach

Yosemite Sam wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 14:21:
Ya PS+ rocks, Tomb Raider this month! Finally jumped on board last fall and still trying to work my way through the free games I picked up. Also PS+ gives you cloud services too.

One of the tricks I figured out was that if you have PS+ you could add the PS4 freebies to your account through the Web storefront (as they don't show up on the PS3 or Vita stores)... when my PS4 gets here tomorrow, I'll have a handful of things ready to go for me to play (not to mention the cross-buy stuff from PS3 and Vita games I've already bought).

News Comments > Abyss Odyssey Details & Trailer
1. Re: Abyss Odyssey Details & Trailer Mar 5, 2014, 19:24 killer_roach

Still early, but boy, does that look promising.  

News Comments > 3D Realms Acquisition Details
24. Re: 3D Realms Acquisition Details Mar 4, 2014, 16:22 killer_roach

KilrathiAce wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 22:34:
I hope they didnt pay much for that garbage

Based on the writeup, I doubt they paid much at all (my personal guess is the whole thing might have been done in the mid-six-figure range...). Especially since Apogee LLC wasn't included in that - that's the larger accumulation of IP that could be snapped up. From the looks of things, they bought a name and that's about it.

News Comments > Interceptor Entertainment Acquires Apogee /3D Realms
21. Re: Interceptor Entertainment Acquires Apogee Software/3D Realms Mar 2, 2014, 19:23 killer_roach

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 17:26:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 14:28:
Task wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 14:04:
Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded please.

Ya they sold the Duke IP, so no. They also don't, AFAIK, own the Wolfenstein IP... so that leaves them... not a hell of a lot, Commander Keen: Reloaded?

The rights to Commander Keen are even more fucked up. I believe it's split with Zenimax/Bethesda currently. They recently denied and blocked Tom Hall when he asked before releasing the newly discovered source code to the original games.

IIRC, Zenimax owns the rights to the IP (through its acquisition of id) and now Interceptor would hold certain rights on the second Keen trilogy. For all intents and purposes, though, it's Zenimax's property.

As far as what else 3D Realms has... well, Wikipedia says there's a Wacky Wheels reboot in the works, but their other IP is, to put it charitably, ancient. Crystal Caves, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Bio Menace, Monster Bash, Stargunner... not sure what, if any, rights they still hold on the Blood IP, though.

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Next Month
25. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Next Month Mar 1, 2014, 13:16 killer_roach

Bumpy wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 08:55:
Why wouldn't it be, the first one certainly was. I don't expect anything different unless they've gone and let all the money go to their head and have been screwing off too much. They really have shown very little and they still claim stuff is Alpha,wtf?

I'd also argue the standard for AAA production value has increased exponentially between then and now.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 28, 2014, 13:09 killer_roach

McSterls wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 11:34:
Define Heavy Web Users?

I constantly see reports that 1% are using 99% of the bandwidth - Comcast claims that 350GB a month should be more than enough for any household. So, how much bandwidth do you use a month?

My house uses 600 GB a month.

My best guess is on average my household uses comparable amounts of data.

That being said, if "heavy users" are as much of a strain on the network as providers occasionally claim, let them put their money where their mouth is. Raise rates for those using large amounts of bandwidth - but at the same time offer a cut-rate service (say $5-10 a month) with a very low transfer cap (10-25GB). You do that, and you've shown the model that you prefer, not to mention incentivizing light Internet users to keep a lighter presence in the name of saving money and keeping the overall load on the network down.

As it stands, it's little more than an attempt to increase rates by stealth, using "One Percent" rhetoric as the justification. Meanwhile, the likely majority of people subject to planned rate increases have no idea who they are until the bill comes in the mail.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2014, 22:11 killer_roach

nin wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 09:00:
J.K. absolutely nailed J. Jonah. Pretty much exactly what I thought the character should be.

One of my favorite Simmons roles - that and his part in Burn After Reading ("You know why he tried going to Venezuela? We have no extradition with Venezuela." "Oh... then what should we do with him?" "For f---'s sake, put him on the next flight to Venezuela!").

News Comments > Editorial on Kickstarter Communication
10. Re: Editorial on Kickstarter Communication Feb 22, 2014, 13:55 killer_roach

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 13:03:
Well remember that story yesterday, with Tim being so very excited about porting the game and future point-and-clicks to tablets and shit? He's got dollar signs in his eyes, and that's all about pleasing the as-yet untapped touch-screen masses, not nostalgic PC gamer backers.

I'd argue tablets are a better medium for "traditional" adventure games than PCs are. Stop looking at the world through rose-colored nostalgia glasses, unless you really are that wistfully longing for the old days of pixel hunts...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2014, 21:43 killer_roach

mag wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 19:32:
Cutter wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 18:20:
Right now it's estimated that every adult US taxpayer has subsidized Apple to the tune of about 50k per person. Nor does it say anything else about Apple abuses people around the world as well. But you go on being a corporate apologist for them. It's all your good for. Must be nice to live life without a soul or conscience.

Dude. That's $7 Trillion.

Actually, it's more than that. There's about 230 million adults in the US (assuming you're referring to those 18+), which would mean that, times $50,000, you're looking at $11.15 trillion, or roughly 70% of US GDP.

1471 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo