Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1471 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Apr 14, 2014, 23:16 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 23:04:
Pretty good sales going on over at GMG. Rivals the best Steam sales.

Rivals? GMG usually pretty well stomps Steam sales.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
9. Re: Sunday Mobilization Apr 14, 2014, 19:43 killer_roach

John wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 08:12:
ForgedReality wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 21:54:
Shame nobody but Sprint offers unlimited plans though.
I believe T-Mobile has an unlimited plan. But one reason Sprint offers it is because no one can get much data from them anyways with the bad signal!

I have an unlimited plan with T-Mobile - reasonably nice, even if the LTE speeds kinda suck here (about 14Mbit where I live, about 17Mbit downtown).

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
16. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2014, 22:41 killer_roach

nin wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 22:24:
I was under the impression they (xbone) were readily available, although I admit I've not surveyed the local targets and the like. But every time I've checked ebgames or amazon, they're always in stock.

Looking online right now, I see them available at EB, amazon, target, bestbuy, and new egg.

Well, I'm just observing what I'm seeing at work. New shipments of PS4s seem to come in pretty frequently anymore - haven't seen much of the Xbox One in a while, although they're still in the warehouse somewhere.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2014, 21:40 killer_roach

nin wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 18:36:
killer_roach wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 18:19:
The XB1, on the other hand... not so much, and it's not because they're selling out so fast. There's just no supply.

Whaaaaa?

They're just not showing up in stock very often. New shipments of PS4s are becoming more and more frequent. The XB1 not only isn't selling fantastically well, but retailers aren't really getting all that many more in.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 11, 2014, 20:25 killer_roach

nin wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 18:25:
Not sure what to make of Harmonix. One says yes, one says no.

The Harmonix dev saying "no" right now used to be one of the principal devs on the Rock Band franchise, particularly on 2 and 3.

...wonder if he's being left in the dark because they're having somebody else take the project lead on it...

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2014, 18:19 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 18:01:
When I go to the PS4 page on Amazon I get a PS4.
When I go to the Xbone page I get, right above it, an image of the PS4 with "you might also consider."

Microsoft can't be happy.

Then again, at this point Sony's production is ramping up. Amazon has PS4s in stock more often than not anymore.

The XB1, on the other hand... not so much, and it's not because they're selling out so fast. There's just no supply.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2014, 14:48 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 10:57:
Julio wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 09:55:
I'm not sure why Shaq can't fund it himself?

No kidding. The guy made 150+ million dollars over his career.

As for the Xbone, it's hilarious that retailers are saying to Microsoft "Your price point is retarded. If you can't figure this out yourself, we'll figure it out for you."

Amazon tried doing that with the WiiU and 3DS, and got "rewarded" for it by being withheld shipments of new hardware.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 11, 2014, 14:09 killer_roach

Pigeon wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 13:23:
The company is apparently worried that they could annoy Comcast executives too much with an ongoing fight, resulting in them failing to even get the 3 million Time Warner Cable customers Comcast plans to divest as part of a merger condition.

Definitely nothing wrong with a system where customers have so little choice, they're used as bargaining chips between "competing" companies.'I'm going to buy the Ranch, but if you don't make a bid driving up the cost of the ranch I'll give you 300 head of cattle'

Well, Comcast had proposed the spinning off of 3 million customers as a way of appeasing antitrust regulators, and it was commonly accepted that Charter would pick them up. Nobody knows for sure - for all we know, Comcast might spin off some customers in the Northeast and give them to Cablevision. This was before Charter ever thought about making a counter offer, but they now have to consider Comcast's merger proposals and go "would that mean we lose out on those customers Comcast is spinning off?".

That being said, to move a bit more in your direction on it, is it possible Comcast made that offer in the first place knowing that it might tie Charter's hands on a counter offer?

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black Apr 11, 2014, 02:11 killer_roach

Yosemite Sam wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 00:39:
I really don't understand this move. Colbert is an icon of his own brand and he's walking away from that to try and make a place in someone elses brand, and not just anyone but a gaint. Makes no sense, people watch late show because of Letterman, this could very easily turn into another Conan/TonightShow fiasco, then he'll have nothing.

Reminds me a lot of when CBS hired another Daily Show alum, Craig Kilborn, to replace Tom Snyder as the host of the Late Late Show... needless to say, that didn't go particularly well, and they replaced him with Craig Ferguson, whom they now seem to be shoving out the door as well when his contract expires. Not sure what makes Colbert a better chat show host than Kilborn (other than not being particularly tall so he won't intimidate guests like the former college basketball player Kilborn did), but we'll see.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 10, 2014, 22:27 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 18:46:
Cyanotetyphas wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 18:35:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 15:36:
Xbox One And The PlayStation 4: Weirdest. Console. Transition. Ever.

It IS somewhat odd that that new Borderlands PreSequel WON'T be on the new consoles. Given that they're making a PC version, shouldn't it be tit easy to convert it to XB1 and PS4? It seems like money on the table NOT to make it for the new ones?

Seems like devs are still hedging their bets against the new generation for another year or so. Probably want to save a little momentum for the big leap off PS3/360 also. Borderlands 3, finally in 1080p! etc...

The PreSequel is basically an expansion. They're using the same exact engine. Reworking it to make it for new consoles would require significantly more time and effort, and end any chance of it being a budget release.

I wouldn't be surprised if, in a year or two, they repackage all the Borderlands games with addon content in a megapack for PS4/XB1. Their argument seems to be "we'll release the Pre-Sequel on the systems people played 1 and 2 on", which, reading between the lines, sounds a lot like "we're not releasing on next-gen because they don't have 1 and 2 playable on them... yet."

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
28. Re: Anti-Gay Firefox Chief Brendan Eich Quits Days After OkCupid Backlash Apr 3, 2014, 23:42 killer_roach

NKD wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 22:43:
Give money to a political candidate who supports a religious whacko cause? No one cares. Give money to the religious whacko cause directly? String him up from the rafters. Appearances.

Other than that there was a boycott of Target a couple of years ago by gay rights advocates after they gave money to a charitable foundation that in turn gave some money to a pro-traditional-marriage organization...

This was less about appearances and more about a group of people wanting to claim a scalp to avenge past wrongs, and a larger group of people cheering the bumrush on.

News Comments > Limit Theory Economics Lesson
7. Re: Limit Theory Economics Lesson Apr 3, 2014, 23:29 killer_roach

Here we go - a game I should actually excel at.  

News Comments > Foolish Games, Volume 1
12. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 1 Apr 1, 2014, 19:24 killer_roach

Kudos to Blizzard and Bohemia - both of them doing April Fools jokes that I honestly kinda wish were real.  

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 31, 2014, 19:11 killer_roach

ViRGE wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 17:47:
1000 developers, and none of them are the AAA western developers that western Vita owners want.

The Vita needs more than the same indies most other consoles get, and imports of Japanese RPGs.

The problem is that a lot of Japanese developers are heavily targeting the 3DS, mostly because the cost of developing for it is so low (other than adding shaders, it's basically the same level of textures and geometry as a PSP game).

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 27, 2014, 22:56 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 18:25:
It's interesting that project Morpheus and OR are following the same dev timeline. I guess technology had improved to the point where suddenly people realized it was worth doing.

I'm guessing Sony saw the success of the Oculus Rift Kickstarter, thought back to their prior attempts at head-mounted displays, and went "hmm, couldn't hurt to dust this stuff off again..."

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 26, 2014, 23:14 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 22:31:
You can understand why they're pissed. However so long as OR abides by the original deal that, as they say, is that. Regardless this is the sort of shit that's only going to help contribute to the demise of crowdfunding. Either that or the model has to change and these guys will have to sell shares instead.

The problem is that selling equity in a Kickstarter-like manner is basically impossible due to American and European securities law - the only people allowed in at such a low level are "qualified investors" - usually very high net worth individuals who can demonstrate the ability to absorb the risks they are taking. I still think direct sales of equity are ultimately the way to go, however.

For those that backed the Rift - maybe, if you ask real nicely, you can get yours to come in a nice shade of Facebook blue... but much beyond that I wouldn't hold my breath on.

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 26, 2014, 21:23 killer_roach

nin wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 20:53:
Ozmodan wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 18:04:
CrimsonPaw wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 11:24:
Ozmodan wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 09:45:
Well since the playstation 1 & 2 processors were completely different, that means they are relying on emulation code which never works very well.
If they can get PS2 emulation to work on the PS3, they can surely get it to work on the PS4. I'm sure it'll be buggy initially but after they get the kinks worked out I can see it being a huge success.

Wrong, they never had any PS2, emulation on the PS3. They put a PS2 chip on the PS3 motherboard for a short period.

Actually, it's you that's wrong. 4 pages worth.

If I'm recalling correctly, the digitally-released PS2 Classics for the PS3 utilized static recompilation, not unlike how original Xbox games were made to run on the 360.

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 25, 2014, 23:16 killer_roach

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 23:01:
Beamer wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 21:57:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 21:53:
Brilliant. There has to be gamers out there where money is no object. Sucks I'm not one.

its not for gaming, much like the titan wasn't positioned to be. Bitcoin farmers may grab it.
the little that I know about bitcoin farming, Nvidia cards are not good for that stuff at all. Better bang for the buck to go with ATI.

It's even terrible bang for the buck compared to a single Titan Black, which is a third the price and likely a bit more than half the performance. It's not a workstation card, it's a consumer card that's meant as a "halo card" of sorts - basically just them showing off what they can do pushing a generation of tech to its limit and then trying to charge people for the privilege.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Mar 22, 2014, 21:32 killer_roach

Pankin wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 19:05:
Hey, new revenue stream, Microsoft! Amirite?

At the risk of sounding like a Microsoft apologist...

...good on them for charging, although I'd rather they ask for more. If the FBI wants stuff, make sure it's for a limited number of users, not just having them do fishing expeditions with online data.

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 22, 2014, 13:38 killer_roach

The real "problem" is that job availability in science and engineering fields is very volatile, varying wildly from field to field, and we take a sledgehammer approach by trying to shoehorn in as many people as possible across the board in the STEM fields. While there might be legitimate need for industrial and mechanical engineers, electrical engineers are pretty well meeting demand, and chemical engineers (and, even more worse off, chemists in general) are experiencing a major glut in their field, to the point where they're bidding starting salaries significantly lower (you might be about as well off with a humanities degree anymore).

And beyond that, a lot of these new STEM-related jobs that are opening up aren't necessarily the ones that we need college-educated people to do - just reasonably sharp people with a high school diploma who are willing to learn on the job. Burdening them with college loans seems borderline irresponsible considering what their career path entails.

1471 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo