Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1526 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale May 25, 2015, 16:37 killer_roach

Acleacius wrote on May 25, 2015, 14:00:
Is it just me or has Steam down or been hacked? I can't do any game searches or see any pictures on the front page either. Current time 1pm cst.

Edit: Weird, starting to come back slowly? I can see a few pictures and video now. Still a lot missing.

Only issues I've been having are with the community pages, which are still completely inaccessible to me. The rest I can see just fine.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Desura Explains Missed Payments
12. Re: Desura Explains Missed Payments May 23, 2015, 19:34 killer_roach

It's the same as missing payroll. You miss payroll, your business is pretty well f**ked.  

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Released
8. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Released May 21, 2015, 15:38 killer_roach

The Half Elf wrote on May 21, 2015, 14:43:
Yeah but how does it run on a non-SLI system? Last I heard a few weeks ago, it wasn't looking too good. Did they get multiplayer in yet?

No SLI here, just a single 970, performance seems pretty good.

Stability, on the other hand... not so much.

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Released
5. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Released May 21, 2015, 14:43 killer_roach

nin wrote on May 21, 2015, 13:40:
Parias wrote on May 21, 2015, 13:30:
Hell yes! I loved Carmageddon 1 / 2 so much back in the day.

I heard the prior beta versions had some performance problems though -- have they fixed them yet?

I tried it again a few months ago and it was still severely piggish. I don't have very high expectations...

Last beta build I ran was pretty smooth, although I just got a 970.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2015, 09:56 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on May 15, 2015, 18:21:
NKD wrote on May 15, 2015, 14:03:
While younger employees may not have a monopoly on those things, they sure do have most of them, and accept a lower salary offer as well. It's hard to criticize employers for preferring younger employees who have everything to prove and haven't become complacent or cynical.

And lower medical costs. It is what it is, its the system we love. Good news... everyone (general) will be old. So we'll all have our day.

Get old, use your experience, become a consultant and make more with less time.

Back to medical costs, I'd like to see gov't health, take it away from companies, it's a large burden for them and they do make decisions based on that. And in a lot of cases it's going up fast for less service.

Only reason we have employer-based health care is because the government gave employers special tax treatment to money they spend on health care. As a result, they overspend on that benefit, and spend poorly on it to boot (after all, they just do a generalized approach - they don't know, or care, what you want specifically out of health care).

(My employer gave me an annual benefits statement that said they spent more on my health, life, and disability insurance coverages than they spent on my salary last year. Seriously, couldn't I just get that in cash?)

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
14. Re: Evening Metaverse May 9, 2015, 18:34 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on May 9, 2015, 17:37:
Beamer wrote on May 9, 2015, 12:53:
Seattle was definitely getting more expensive, and so many of the new buildings going up in Belltown were crap, but it's got a really, really long way to go before it's even remotely close to NYC.

Doesn't NYC have laws that have to have so many affordable houses? Not the typical, for the really poor. But for middle class. I thought they had something so middle class can live in the city and still get the basic jobs done.

There are rent-controlled apartments, but good luck finding one that's available. They simply never hit the market in any formal sense, as anyone who gets them will do their best to hang onto them for as long as possible for obvious reasons (including subleasing them if they're out of the area, even if that's often in violation of the terms of said properties).

12. Re: Evening Metaverse May 9, 2015, 14:28 killer_roach

ForgedReality wrote on May 9, 2015, 11:47:
killer_roach wrote on May 9, 2015, 11:21:
HorrorScope wrote on May 9, 2015, 10:52:
killer_roach wrote on May 9, 2015, 10:48:
Ultimately, both the people AND the businesses matter. Without the former, the city withers - without the latter it either hollows out or becomes an irrational plaything for those too wealthy to have concerns with money.

True. Seattle is a meca to now, I'm sure prices were already high, they are going higher, it's going to be an LA/NY/Chi/SF if it isn't already.

I've been doing some research out there (actually have been looking into jobs with Amazon's corporate headquarters), and from what I've seen of apartments there they're probably pretty close to Chicago territory for cost, although not to the level of NYC, DC, or SF. (LA is just too all over the place to make a good determination on, although the places people want to live tend to cost pretty similarly to DC.)

650sq ft studio for $2300/mo isn't enough for you?

I was still able to find two bedroom apartments within walking distance of Amazon's headquarters that were in the $1700-1800 a month range. It's steep, but not that crazy considering what the income level associated with the employers in the area is.

9. Re: Evening Metaverse May 9, 2015, 11:21 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on May 9, 2015, 10:52:
killer_roach wrote on May 9, 2015, 10:48:
Ultimately, both the people AND the businesses matter. Without the former, the city withers - without the latter it either hollows out or becomes an irrational plaything for those too wealthy to have concerns with money.

True. Seattle is a meca to now, I'm sure prices were already high, they are going higher, it's going to be an LA/NY/Chi/SF if it isn't already.

I've been doing some research out there (actually have been looking into jobs with Amazon's corporate headquarters), and from what I've seen of apartments there they're probably pretty close to Chicago territory for cost, although not to the level of NYC, DC, or SF. (LA is just too all over the place to make a good determination on, although the places people want to live tend to cost pretty similarly to DC.)

News Comments > Project CARS Livery Pack Released; AMD Optimizations Coming
37. Re: Project CARS Livery Pack Released; AMD Optimizations Coming May 9, 2015, 10:58 killer_roach

Timmeh wrote on May 9, 2015, 10:14:
read through the tweets and the responses from roy who worked at NVidia for 12 years. He cant come out and say it, but I guarantee you I am basically right.

This is all part of Nvidias underhanded bullshit they always do. Slimiest company of all time.. well next to EA.

As opposed to AMD, whose drivers routinely break compatibility with wide swaths of software, whose roadmap is now closer to Intel's than their stated main competition, who despite this refuses to cede the price points associated with bleeding-edge hardware...

Simply put, as somebody who has liked AMD for years, they're circling the drain. When the software works well on consoles with AMD hardware but not on PCs with AMD hardware, the culprit should be blindingly obvious. And yet the apologists somehow think Nvidia is responsible for AMD releasing shockingly bad drivers for the better part of twenty years.

7. Re: Evening Metaverse May 9, 2015, 10:48 killer_roach

Jaxx wrote on May 9, 2015, 06:46:
The people having to pay the price for this are those of lower incomes. There have been multiple instances of fixed income apartment buildings being sold and remodeled. This forces ALL the tenants out and of course are told they can have their apt back, for three times the rent they were paying.

And lastly, politically we are a cesspool. What the citizens want, doesn't matter. The businesses are what matter for the most part. because they want more room, they tear down historical sections of town and reduce the amount of parking. They push for more public transportation, but push the bill on the tax payers.

It honestly sucks to see this city beautiful going the way it is.

Hate to say it, but the other options are either a) make the city so unappealing that nobody wants to live there (Detroit) or b) accede to what you're saying and basically turn the city into a giant gated community - anybody living in there currently can probably continue doing so at their level of income, but anybody moving to the area will face stratospheric property prices (San Francisco).

News Comments > Project CARS Livery Pack Released; AMD Optimizations Coming
10. Re: Project CARS Livery Pack Released; AMD Optimizations Coming May 8, 2015, 11:10 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on May 8, 2015, 11:03:
Right, but if you are developing your game, one has to assume they have ATI and NVidia test systems. You install the latest released drivers while developing. You get your application to run optimally on that, there is no reason for a new driver for your game, you can look at any released game to see "the drivers do work" so if you are having issue, research and learn as you develop, that seems to be part of the Dev's duties to me.

Sounds easy enough, but trying to develop for a particular set of video drivers is like hitting a moving target - it's not unusual for AMD updates to break compatibility with existing software until it's fixed later.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 GMG Key Dispute
14. Re: The Witcher 3 GMG Key Dispute May 6, 2015, 23:10 killer_roach

Overon wrote on May 6, 2015, 22:54:
According to GMG statement, CD Projekt Red did not make an agreement with GMG about reselling Witcher 3. And they were not happy about that, they said that CD Projekt Red focused on GOG selling instead and didn't make GMG an approved reseller. GMG in their statement also said that they got the keys from CD Projekt approved resellers.

Here is my speculation: GMG got mad that they weren't allowed to be an approved reseller, so they bought keys from official approved resellers and are selling them at no profit or little profit (basically wholesale prices) to purposefully undercut the approved CD Projekt resellers.

They are sending a message that says "This is what happens when you don't allow us to be approved resellers, we undercut your price (even though we get little to no profit) and make you look bad, so next time you come to an agreement and let us officially be your selling partner instead of shutting us out." It's a hell of a way to do it. Companies don't like it when there is variability in the price of their item. It pisses off their approved resellers who do not want to be involved in a price war.

What do you guys think about the likelihood of my speculation?

Very likely, but rights holders usually respond badly to that. Case in point, Nintendo getting mad at Amazon selling their hardware below MSRP. Long story short, Nintendo still refuses to distribute hardware to Amazon to sell - it's all third parties doing so, and often at non-trivial markups over MSRP.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 2, 2015, 15:45 killer_roach

Keilun wrote on May 2, 2015, 13:04:
Axis wrote on May 2, 2015, 11:59:
Prices haven't changed for me for the last 15 years. I build a high end system for $800-$1000 every 4-5 years, biding my time on deals and pcpartpicker till I get what I want for the price I want.

Everyone else probably if they aren't thoughtful about expensive purchases.

The article's reasoning for predicting a price increase is due to currency fluctuations (those economies that are weak to the US dollar). I don't see how that's exactly specific to PC prices though. In Canada, I've already felt the effect of the weakening CAD against the USD for other goods.

Really all depends on Fed policy - if they decide to raise interest rates, that should strengthen the dollar and make a lot of import purchases considerably cheaper. Right now, with most monetary policy observers thinking the Fed will keep a zero rate policy through 2015, the dollar should slide against international currencies barring any nasty surprises overseas (China's economy bottoming out, a Grexit, major natural disaster in SE Asia, etc.).

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. Re: Microsoft Health and Band Updates Bring New Cycling App Integrations, Insights and Features. Apr 24, 2015, 17:56 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 16:48:
Fion wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 12:38:
I may have the 2nd worse cable company in the US as my broadband provider, but at least it isn't going to combine with the 1st.

I'm so glad the FCC is standing up to this shit these days. Now if only we could get the government to break these non-competing companies up or force competition onto them in some way. The new 25 down/5 up min for 'cable' is nice to see but frankly that's still WAY behind what the rest of the world offers, for 1/3rd the price-tag.
The Justice Dept too. I think that was the straw that broke the Comcast's back.

Both of you are wrong. It's really the Federal Trade Commission on this one - Justice would come in largely to mop up any antitrust issues, and the FCC was looking more like they had come to an understanding with Comcast, but the FTC had a lot of conditions that they were putting on the whole thing.

Right now, as a TWC customer and moving to another area served by TWC, I can't imagine anyone being that much worse, even considering Comcast's reputation.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Apr 18, 2015, 12:46 killer_roach

rocketpcguy wrote on Apr 18, 2015, 12:02:
but many people i know just install steam and play free to play games. does that mean they would not be able to play anymore unless they buy a game? then the move looks more like for financial reasons than fighting spammers.

They can still play, they just can't use community features such as adding friends, trading games/items, or putting their creations up on Steam Workshop.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2015, 21:18 killer_roach

ShakaUVM wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 20:47:
Wow: "Right-Wing Trolls Hijack SciFi Oscars."

Linking to Arthur Chu, who called a black woman "a shield" is really not the right person to quote to summarize the drama going on here. He's one of the very worst people in the whole debate.

The people nominated are across the political spectrum.

Science fiction has had an ideology issue ever since Asimov's spiteful attitude toward Heinlein. Ever since most of the genre's standard-bearers have been pretty staunchly to the political left - even, until very recently, Orson Scott Card, who is now regarded somewhere between persona non grata and an apostate of the highest order.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Apr 12, 2015, 22:11 killer_roach

IAMLIT_REFLEX wrote on Apr 12, 2015, 21:58:
Time Warner Cable gives me amazing Internet service. I pay for 100 megabits and they give me 108 consistently.

I used to only get 20 megabits (22.7 actual) but they upgraded their network and now I pay the same price for 100.

I am a little concerned that my service will decline in quality if they sell out to Comcast.

Also what the fuck crack are people smoking that bitch about TWC Internet? I have been on the service for a year now and they ALWAYS give me higher speeds than the line is rated for and there has not been ONE SECOND of downtime the entire damned year.

Compare that to Verizon DSL in which I always had to have the number to tech support handy for its bi-monthly network downtime. Also they wanted $30 a month for 1 megabit and I'm much happier paying about $50 a month for the Internet component of a TV/Internet bundle that gives me 108 times that bandwidth (I've never had issues with throughput from either provider by the way!!!!! Ever!!!).

Might depend on market. I get 20Mbit from TWC and usually end up receiving closer to 17.5. Some days it's as low as 15.5...

News Comments > Amazon Crytek Deal?
10. Re: Amazon Crytek Deal? Apr 6, 2015, 23:15 killer_roach

Sepharo wrote on Apr 6, 2015, 21:35:
Weird...

My only guess is that Amazon wants it for a VR project in its skunkworks. Amazon, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, and Apple want to compete with each other in every facet of tech so when one jumps the rest follow. Drones? Sky WiFi? Car AI? Tablets? etc etc.

Amazon does own game development studios...

News Comments > Sony Buys OnLive - Shutdown Planned
14. Re: Sony Buys OnLive - Shutdown Planned Apr 3, 2015, 14:11 killer_roach

Blue wrote on Apr 3, 2015, 09:38:
That doesn't strike you as spin? Funny timing that they were bought just 30 days before planning an unrelated shutdown.

It was believed that OnLive was bleeding money, and all it would take would be a new round of VC funding to fall through for their situation to go from manageable to catastrophic. That can happen pretty fast, especially for a company who didn't appear that fundamentally sound.

When Sony bought Gaikai, I had questioned why they hadn't gone after OnLive instead - as it turns out, they turn around and snap them up later for a fraction of what they were likely worth at the time they bought Gaikai. Almost a buy one get one free sort of deal, at that point.

News Comments > More LucasArts Games on GOG.com
17. Re: More LucasArts Games on GOG.com Mar 20, 2015, 03:51 killer_roach

InBlack wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 03:43:
Lets hope a rejuvinated Lucasarts starts pumping out proper games now that they have a new owner. Meh, I know it wont happen but a man can hope...

Considering their parent company's track record with gaming, I think they won't bother with doing so themselves. If you see a revitalized LucasArts, it would be either another studio licensing their IP or possibly a joint venture between Disney and another publisher to create a studio that would be a spiritual descendant of the old studio. Disney really has a pretty long history of not knowing how to break into the gaming space themselves, but a good pattern of working well with others to develop gaming properties.

1526 Comments. 77 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo