Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1443 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > AU Game Price Inflation
11. Re: AU Game Price Inflation Sep 12, 2014, 16:06 killer_roach

InBlack wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 09:52:
Well the exchange rate between the US dollar and the AU dollar is like 1:1.1 so that cant be it....

In terms of nominal exchange rates, yes, but the ratio between purchasing power parity between the US dollar and the Australian dollar is closer to 1:2. What you're seeing is more than likely a combination of the influence of brick-and-mortar retailers trying to pressure publishers to make digital games price-equivalent to their physical counterparts (which have to deal with egregiously expensive shipping costs as well as some of the highest nominal wage rates for unskilled labor in the world) and an attempt to price to what the market will bear (after all, by adjusting for purchasing power and per-capita income it could be inferred that pretty much all AAA titles in Australia could theoretically cost in the ballpark of $115 AU if you were going by equivalency of affordability in America, and, if they were using Eurozone pricing as the model, likely considerably more than that).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2014, 21:18 killer_roach

Slashman wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 14:10:
That's just it. Women are NOT half the audience for most of the games people are discussing and arguing about with regards to sexism. They are likely less than 5%

I think you'd be surprised. I'm not saying it's even that close to 50%, but it's not unlikely that it's closer to 25-30% anymore.

News Comments > Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell Announced
9. Re: Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell Announced Aug 29, 2014, 16:16 killer_roach

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 15:53:
Yeah I meant Freespace sorry

Doesn't Interplay still own the Freespace IP, though?

News Comments > Amazon Buys Twitch
38. Re: Amazon Buys Twitch Aug 26, 2014, 22:22 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 23:34:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 21:37:
What would you even do with almost a billion dollars?

Well, half of that goes to the gubmint straight away.

Corporations are taxed on profit. As a result, Amazon doesn't pay much of anything in taxes.

Regarding their warehouses (in a subsequent comment of yours) - they actually lease them through a contracted builder rather than pay for their construction themselves. Allows them to spread out the cost over a near-indefinite period of time.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 26, 2014, 22:18 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 20:13:
I actually haven't ever had a data cap. I'm on Comcast now, too. Time Warner before, Cablevision and Fios before that.

Suppose I'm lucky.

I've only had a data cap once (AT&T U-Verse), and they never enforced it. (Probably because I was on their top speed tier, but regardless.)

News Comments > Amazon Buys Twitch
23. Re: Amazon Buys Twitch Aug 25, 2014, 21:32 killer_roach

Gipson wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 19:38:
i'm also Amazon > Google
grats to Twitch.

From what I'm reading, the reason Amazon won out over Google was their interest in keeping Twitch as an autonomously-run entity. Twitch's leadership and headquarters stays just the way it is, and that likely won out over what plans Google had.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2014, 21:40 killer_roach

jimnms wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 22:19:
Creston wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 14:09:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 14:01:
MythBusters Stars Kari Byron, Tory Belleci and Grant Imahara Are Leaving the Show.

So, I see that Adam and Jamie will return to become the sole hosts, but I wonder why? Just lower ratings so the show is trying to save money?

Most likely. It's been going on for a dozen or so years, so it's bound to eventually lose its charm.

They have also been annoying the living fuck out of a large amount of people by putting fucking goddamned TWEETS in the middle of the fucking screen during their episodes, because obviously we ALL want to see what @DipShitRetard thinks about mythbusters.

It annoyed me enough to the point where I was already thinking about not watching it any longer, and this is just the icing on the cake. Kari, Tory and Grant are far more entertaining to watch than Adam and Jamie. Without them, the show is just... blegh.

In the beginning it was just Adam and Jamie. I think Kari appeared briefly in one episode where they made a mold of her ass. Then Kari, that other chick and Tori came on as the build team. I remember when they changed the format of the show where Kari, Grant and Tori started doing myths on their own people were bitching and wanting it to go back to just Jamie and Adam. Now their gone and people are bitching to keep them.

I'm betting they're going to try and do some kind of spin-off show, but seeing the quality of shows Discovery lately, it's going to be good and get canceled or suck.

Grant has pretty much always been a bit of a freelancer - he'll probably pop up here and there (including possibly still on the show). Kari apparently has been doing some work for the Obama administration trying to promote STEM education for girls. Tory? No clue. He'll probably try to shop a show around, otherwise he'll probably go back to his art and design stuff.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 18, 2014, 19:46 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 15:17:
ForgedReality wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 12:18:
Apple tablets are terrible compared to the competition. They'd need to do a whole lot more (of either brainwashing, or actually improving their product) to make people want to buy them, especially at their extremely overinflated prices.

What makes you say they're terrible? I'm a Galtab owner, but we've got iPads at work, and they seem fine. My objection to Apple is with their walled garden, not their devices.

At those prices, it's basically an iPad for the price of a Kindle Fire HDX (a bit cheaper, actually - then again, the HDX goes on sale semi-frequently anymore). The mini at $199 is pretty solid - the only issue with it is the thermal throttling (same hardware as the Air, still dangerously thin).

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
19. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 18, 2014, 19:41 killer_roach

garrywong wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 18:15:
Jivaro wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 17:30:
garrywong wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 16:23:
Wait wait wait, what? Witcher 3 is going to be on consoles? WTF? Oh man, dreams ruined... oh what compromises will I have to suffer because the game had to be made to run on consoles...

Huh? Witcher 2 was on Xbox 360 and PC. Did it somehow feel compromised to you? I thought it was better than the first game in just about every way. (the pc version, I never played the console version)

It was? What? How is that even possible?

Basically the X360 version was crippled in comparison to its PC counterpart - the geometry was reasonably detailed, but draw distance, shadows, shaders, and textures were all basically like Low on PC.

News Comments > Warlords of Draenor Collector's Edition Details
11. Re: Warlords of Draenor Collector's Edition Details Aug 16, 2014, 02:43 killer_roach

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 01:47:
killer_roach wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 01:22:
BitWraith wrote on Aug 15, 2014, 10:56:
I have all the other CEs. I have preordered this one. No need to break a trend now.

Honestly, it's a bit disappointing by the standards of Blizzard CEs, but if their art book is anything like their prior ones, it should be worth the asking price for the avid fan.

The Game, Music, Making of DVD, Art Book, Mouse Pad, Diablo 3 had a awesome flashdrive and holder that also gave you Diablo 1 and 2, Starcraft 2 had a awesome flashdrive with Starcraft 1 and expansion on it, not to mention all the digital goodies that can ONLY be gotten from the CE or Digital Deluxe version. Also Diablo 2 CE had the Diablo rules for using it with AD&D. AND before they had trial version of their games they also had friends codes as well.

Hell of alot more then what other CE's are offering these days, and priced cheaper.

Yeah, that's basically what I'm getting at. This one isn't to the level of a Diablo III or a Starcraft II CE, and most of the stuff is digital, but their pricing generally hasn't been too bad relative to the standard editions, and the price increase has usually been commensurate to what you're getting in the box.

News Comments > Warlords of Draenor Collector's Edition Details
9. Re: Warlords of Draenor Collector's Edition Details Aug 16, 2014, 01:22 killer_roach

BitWraith wrote on Aug 15, 2014, 10:56:
I have all the other CEs. I have preordered this one. No need to break a trend now.

Honestly, it's a bit disappointing by the standards of Blizzard CEs, but if their art book is anything like their prior ones, it should be worth the asking price for the avid fan.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 15, 2014, 15:54 killer_roach

Verno wrote on Aug 15, 2014, 11:17:
They blew something like $400mil on that NFL deal just to have an app, that could have funded some pretty extravagant first party games. The efforts into Kinect probably had a similar cost with even worse results. They're all over the map, probably because at their core they are just not a gaming company.

Historically they've had problems incorporating new teams - hence the ultimate dismantling of Ensemble, the gutting of Lionhead and Rare to unrecognizable shells of their former selves, and the spinning-off of Bungie. (For that matter, even Kinect was a technology that they bought by acquiring the company that made it, then turned it over to the Devices team.) Probably only a matter of time before the principals behind Turn 10 leave to form their own studio, and the Playground guys are probably just happy to be drawing a paycheck again (seeing as most of them are former Bizarre devs). They aren't set up to do what Nintendo does with a handful of distinct development units and dedicated second parties, or what Sony does with a dozen or so studios spread out around the world. For whatever reason, Microsoft functions pretty much exclusively as a top-down enterprise, something that seems uniquely ill-suited for modern AAA game development (which typically resembles more of a loosely-organized horizontal consortium).

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2014, 18:55 killer_roach

Lord Tea wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 11:26:
'Not Every Game Should Be 1080p' Says Xbox Head Phil Spencer.

As a PC gamer I agree wholeheartedly - some games should be 4k. It's 2014 after all.

I'll be a nice guy and meet him halfway. QHD (2560x1440) work as a compromise?

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox-clusivity "Has a Duration"
13. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox-clusivity Aug 13, 2014, 18:56 killer_roach

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 16:29:
Microsoft is desperate because the PS4 version of Tomb Raider outsold the XB1 2-to-1.

Square Enix must have been paid a shit ton of money to piss off fans like this, as this will hurt the brand.

If it's anything like previous deals have been rumored to be, Square Enix already has a profitable game on their hands.

7. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 8, 2014, 20:55 killer_roach

Julio wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 17:27:
Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 16:20:
so I know which 900 authors to avoid in the future. Fuck you and your attempts at price fixing. Fuck you right up your fucking ass with a rusty pipe.

Agree 100%. I'd still like to see some pound them in the ass jail time for people at the publishers and Apple who were price fixing. And these 900 authors should also be held liable if they were involved.

For some of the "bigger name" authors, I'm guessing the motivation is partly out of a hard-on for the "good old days" of professional writing. They'd just as soon have the publisher drum up word for what people should be reading, and if they were able to do without all those upstarts that are pounding out books in their kitchen in between sales trips or taking care of their kids, all the better.

...to be perfectly honest, writing as a pure profession is dead. Has been for a couple of decades. And no amount of sticking up for the stodgy status quo will bring it back.

7. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 5, 2014, 00:18 killer_roach

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 20:09:
The Worstall rebuttal is pretty compelling. The three biggest autonomous experiments in social policy for the good of society (commies in Russia, Cuba, and China) all were socially regressive. At least with capitalism you have assholes you can count on.

One of the great advances of Western capitalistic society has been in coming up with ways to provide products and services that were at one time the domain of the wealthy to ever-greater numbers of people. After all, many of these luxuries and conveniences are desired by more than just the elite, and the enterprising among us would recognize that by not getting it to everyone else money is being left on the table somewhere.

Anymore it's getting to the point where the primary advantage the rich have for many of these things is not in having them, or even necessarily having better versions of them - it's simply having more of them, and diminishing returns set in after a while. (And people wonder with some degree of incredulity why most studies of income and happiness in the US seem to show a near-flattening of the relationship past a middle or mid-upper household income level...)

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 2, 2014, 02:05 killer_roach

PropheT wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 22:20:
Julio wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 20:20:
No thanks, I'm not giving Gamestop my fingerprints. What's next, giving them your DNA?

It's more of a problem with pawn laws and legal requirements for second-hand stores and the requirements of anyone selling something to the store there than it is with Gamestop. In the effort to stop criminals, you're legally required to assume everyone is a criminal.

Yeah - in some areas that's a legal requirement already. I know where I live (Lexington, Kentucky) it's required by county law (as well as a few other annoying "protection" features, like you can't sell within an hour of the store closing, allegedly so that they can't try to pressure you into a lowball offer, but it really just annoys those of us who are more night owls than anything).

News Comments > PC No Man's Sky Confirmed?
27. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 22:59 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 22:48:
Numinar wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 20:40:
NVIDIA and AMD might help a bit, but they don't have the warchest Sony has.

My "warchest" you're talking about Sony's $1.26 billion Q1 2014 loss? NVidia during the same period cleared $136 million.

You have to factor in the value of physical assets. Nvidia is fabless - all they have is IP and a couple of office buildings. Sony has manufacturing facilities all over the world - there's a lot more to corporate value than just quarterly profits. (Additionally, it's not Sony's gaming business that's losing money - it's mostly their television and computer businesses that are tanking, and they're basically getting out of the PC business as a result of the bloodbath they've gotten in that market.)

News Comments > PC No Man's Sky Confirmed?
20. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 17:19 killer_roach

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 10:10:
I believe Hello Games said a while ago that No Man's Sky is only console exclusive on PS4. Unless Sony's funding their development (and they aren't), there's no way they'd go exclusive with them.

Sony funded their first game (Joe Danger) and it showed up on PC... I think they're partially funding No Man's Sky as well, but not sure on that one.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 31, 2014, 20:42 killer_roach

wtf_man wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 20:32:
Check your maths.

Check yours.

In the 2:1 scenario, if 100 Xbones were sold, 200 PS4s were sold. 300 in total.

100 Xbones / 300 consoles = 33.33%

In the 3:1 scenario, if 100 Xbones were sold, 300 PS4s were sold. 400 in total.

100 Xbones / 400 consoles = 25%

You were trying to cite a generalization based on a proportion of the population while couching it in the numbers of a relative proportion.

By mixing your frames of reference, I stand by my prior statement.

1443 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo