Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1613 (Pro)
User ID 15013
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 1, 2015, 15:10 killer_roach
Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 13:00:
I think I'm at job 22 in my life. They've predominantly all been in IT though.

I'm at job 10, fifth career field, transitioning into an eleventh and sixth respectively.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
17. Re: A Car Dealers Won’t Sell: It’s Electric Dec 1, 2015, 14:17 killer_roach
wtf_man wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 20:21:
Actually, electric motors have way more torque... but towing or doing something heavy-duty would drain the battery way too fast.

A Dodge RAM eco-diesel might be your ticket... and if the word goes kaflooey, you can always run it on scrounged fry oil.

Going back to VW, they're talking about having a diesel/electric hybrid version of the Audi Q7 - that should have torque coming out its ears (even if it'll use a straight-six diesel as opposed to anything crazier, like the old V10 diesels they had in the early TDI Touaregs). Similarly, although I haven't heard anything specifically, I wouldn't be surprised if you see something similar from Mercedes in their larger SUVs (GLE- and GLS-class) or the Vito/Sprinter vans before too long.
News Comments > Team17 Freebie Advent Calendar
1. Re: Team17 Freebie Advent Calendar Dec 1, 2015, 14:03 killer_roach
Team17, want to do something that would actually excite me with this promotion? Actually release Worms Battlegrounds for PC. Hell, I'd even pay close to full price for it. (Worms just isn't right on a console...)  
News Comments > Morning Mobilization
19. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 1, 2015, 12:34 killer_roach
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 07:45:
Packstation only works for DHL packages and at least where I live it's ALWAYS full during xmas. Otherwise that's a good idea.. still would prefer a drone landing on my roof dropping package in a rain proof container and flying away. But you are right of course... considering how insane our regulations are it's a miracle postal service is even allowed to deliver packages... where I live drone can definitely NOT land in the garden ;p Not to mention I don't want my packages sitting in the garden ~.~

Siting is definitely an issue - where I'm at (if the FAA clears these operations) I could just have it land on my balcony, where anybody willing to go through the hassle of getting up there probably deserves that box more than I do But yeah, most people aren't that fortunate as it pertains to a good, undisturbed location. (If this catches on, though, I could almost see a market in developing some sort of a drop chute system for drones to deliver into...)
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 30, 2015, 12:55 killer_roach
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 11:11:
The local Amazon warehouse here in Norther Kentucky/Cincinnati is right next door to the Airport, how exactly is this going to work Stateside?

Not every Amazon fulfillment center is in the middle of nowhere. The CVG node in Hebron, I admit, is rather population-isolated, but the other nodes in Kentucky (LEX and SDF) could cover significant portions of two metro areas. Also, in recent years, you're seeing more facilities built closer to large cities - in terms of the sites that might be using Prime Air, you have one right on the outskirts of Dallas, a couple that could cover decent parts of southern California (although not LA or SD specifically), a smaller center in Manhattan, and sites getting ready to open or in the planning stages that are in drone range of quite a few more major cities.

That being said, things will get interesting once they develop further generations of drones that have improved range - not talking anything huge, but if they could expand that radius from 15 to, say, 50 miles that could potentially cover tons more people, especially for fulfillment centers in and around major metro areas (for instance, a 50 mile radius would be enough to get the large facility in southeast Wisconsin to deliver to around the north side of Chicago, not to mention pretty much all of Milwaukee).
News Comments > Pre-Steam Sale Prices Raised?
25. Re: Pre-Steam Sale Prices Raised? Nov 27, 2015, 19:21 killer_roach
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 27, 2015, 15:57:
There are 1000's of games on Steam and these huge names listed are supposed to get me riled up over this? Wreckfest? Dealership fucking Tycoon? Epistory? Snooozeville.

Wreckfest is Bugbear's (Flatout devs) next game... also the one where the price raise may just be coincidence, as it is in Early Access. (Not unusual for games to raise in price as they go through Early Access.)
News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2015, 15:10 killer_roach
I have one of those - had it for quite a few years now, but it is quite comfortable. Having grown up in Michigan (and living in Wisconsin), I'm pretty well acclimated to the cold, but it's nice to have when the temps are between 10 and 30F (anything less than that and I bring out the big guns - the heavy-duty Carhartt jacket).  
News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 23, 2015, 16:05 killer_roach
Cutter wrote on Nov 23, 2015, 14:53:
Edit: So I looked them up and they've sold seven million songs over 15 years. There last album sold 135k copies over a period of several years. The guy only has 47k Twitter followers. So yeah, they're really not a big deal. This isn't like U2 or Adele or someone huge. They're a C level band.

Seven million units in the US alone, which in retail sales terms is almost completely albums (especially in the US where singles sales are low). Two RIAA platinum albums (which require sales of over 1,000,000 units in the US).

Granted, they're not as big of a band as they were ten years ago, but anymore 135K albums is pretty sizable (seeing as people don't buy many albums at retail anymore) - keep in mind that in the US the threshold for a top-ten-selling album in a year is around a million copies these days. (Also, Wikipedia mentions that 135K number was in the first week of release - that's a #1 album. They're at just shy of 300K in the US alone now with it, and that's after a hiatus and reshuffling of every member other than the lead singer.)

Also, using Adele and U2 as comparison points is being deliberately disingenuous, seeing as they are two of the top three selling acts in the world right now (along with Taylor Swift). The drop off between them and literally anyone else in album sales and concert revenues is massive (well, with the exception of Katy Perry on the live front). I'm beginning to think that not only are you trolling, but you're not very good at it, either. Three minutes of Googling can demolish everything you've written on this topic.
News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 16, 2015, 19:16 killer_roach
deqer wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 12:42:
Whenever I see the "Black Friday" words, I think of the walmart youtube videos where people are fighting each other, and stomping over people when the gate opens. :/

My employer thanks you for keeping that in people's minds
7. Re: I'm leaving Android for IOS Nov 12, 2015, 21:43 killer_roach
Ozmodan wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 19:09:
and I thought only kids were the only ones who played a lot of games on a phone. Personally think the quality of mobile games poor at best and have to find one I can play more than an hour or so and that is on a pad not a phone. Phone screens are just too small.

I agree, a really stupid article, kind of have to question the site editor for letting such trash be on his site.

Ben Kuchera is one of the editors there at Polygon... that's how.

Then again, I doubt many will consider the former gaming editor at Ars Technica as being a purveyor of much that could pass for sense.
News Comments > Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide
34. Re: Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide Nov 9, 2015, 13:52 killer_roach
LittleMe wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 11:47:
False. Only at maximum settings, which nVidia is exploiting that fact to urge us to buy their top end, premium priced cards. Wait for more thorough performance analysis.

Exactly. If you're gaming at 4K, things like AA/AF aren't as important, and can be pretty easily scaled back (or jettisoned) if need be.
News Comments > Activision Buys King Digital; Releases Q3 Financials
15. Re: Activision Buys King Digital; Releases Q3 Financials Nov 3, 2015, 12:37 killer_roach
Slick wrote on Nov 3, 2015, 10:59:
just imagine for a moment, if they spent that on new IPs, you could pay 5900 developers $100k a year EACH for 10 years. I'm pretty sure you could build something more impressive than candy crush with that army. But when has Acti-Bliz gambled on anything that doesn't have a proven multi-billion dollar revenue stream lately?

The problem is that, at any given time, there probably aren't 5900 developers out there in the open market worth paying $100k a year to, short of poaching from other developers (and that gets messy).

I understand the idea behind trying to get a return on excess cash (and if they don't have to bring the cash back to the US to be taxed a second time, all the better for them), but I would have had a long and hard look at making more prudent and diversified acquisitions than throwing all the eggs in one basket. EA, their billion-dollar grab of PopCap aside, has done pretty well at bringing in studios in the eight-to-nine-figure range, and at that cost you're basically doing what you're suggesting, only with picking up teams that already have their own ideas ready to go and are used to working as a team (plus, if you're good, maybe also picking up a team in a part of the world where you're looking to do more business).

Ultimately, though, I'm closer to your side on this. At least get a handful of teams going and get a few different good ideas out there. Paying for past performance is financial suicide.
News Comments > Activision Buys King Digital; Releases Q3 Financials
11. Re: Activision Buys King Digital; Releases Q3 Financials Nov 3, 2015, 11:37 killer_roach
PacoTaco wrote on Nov 3, 2015, 11:18:
Can anyone do the math on how much Candy needs to be sold to break even on this deal? Must be 1000 clones of Candy Crush at this point and done mostly by terrible devs.

Last I had heard, King was estimated to be making $250 million a year in profit off of their titles. Assuming flat revenue growth, that means Activision bought them at a forward P/E of about 24 - which is actually on the low side for software companies. Makes me think there's a considerable (possibly massive) risk premium built into this purchase.

Mind you, it'd make sense to take as much of a risk premium on this company as possible - King doesn't really have the same sort of network infrastructure that even Activision has, much less Ubisoft or EA, and they don't have any significant software tech assets like engines, APIs, or patents. What Activision bought was a franchise built on some aging IP, and paid dearly for it. This makes Microsoft's purchase of Mojang seem sane in comparison - the only rival in terms of a ballsy acquisition in online/mobile gaming that I can think of was the rumors of Microsoft buying Zynga before they ran away from that potential buyout screaming in terror.
News Comments > Another New Steam User Record
4. Re: Another New Steam User Record Nov 1, 2015, 14:55 killer_roach
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 1, 2015, 14:41:
Sempai wrote on Nov 1, 2015, 14:26:
No one gives a single fuck about Steam and their iron grip on the entire PC market..

^ this

Fuck Valve.

New records are programmed to happen all throughout this month when BLOPS 3 and FO4 are released. Might as well use an automated newsbot for posting every new daily record.

The fact that it's happening before those releases makes me think Valve is just changing their counting and reporting systems, not that genuine new records are being set of that magnitude.

First rule of data analysis: If you see numbers in your data set that are outliers with previous measurements, first look to measurement error before trying to determine a causal mechanism.
News Comments > EA Financials
1. Re: EA Financials Oct 29, 2015, 19:13 killer_roach
$0.65 EPS? Doing some quick and dirty math, that's about a $200m profit for the quarter (estimating, based on share price and market cap, they've got about 300 million shares outstanding). On revenue of $1.146 billion, that's doing damn well. Increasing forward guidance is always music to the investor's ear as well.  
News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 27, 2015, 18:33 killer_roach
nin wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 18:13:
Teachers and students may also crack the discs "for educational purposes"

"Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more..."

I used to work in instructional technology, that's actually a serious thing. You'd be surprised the number of times professors would want to include media clips in an online course that we first had to run past legal departments in order to make sure they were allowed to. In a class, that's easy peasy. Once computers got involved...
News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
17. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 26, 2015, 23:37 killer_roach
Jivaro wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 23:21:
I don't know that this type of movie, regardless of whom it is about, isn't the type of thing people are going to movie theaters to watch anymore. This is the kind of movie that anyone who is interested in seeing it usually waits for it to come to digital or disc. People go to the theaters for date night or action movies with a bunch of special effects that a large screen and sound system really take advantage of. Everything else they can watch at home on their flat screen TVs and not really lose much while still being able to go to the bathroom whenever they want. Popcorn is cheaper at home too.

WSJ had an article on this just the other day, that Netflix and Amazon both are starting to branch out into feature films that other studios wouldn't bother with because there's no money to be made in them at the box office...
News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 26, 2015, 23:12 killer_roach
Creston wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 20:29:
What went wrong? Oh, I dunno. Maybe because it was a movie about a guy who was a total fucking asshole?

The picture cost $30 million to make and at least as much to market. That means that “Steve Jobs” needs to do at least $120 million in order to break even.

Maths be hard.

Studios usually get between 40-55% of the revenue from a film distributed in theaters - the theaters get the rest. Half is the industry-accepted back-of-the-envelope calculation.
News Comments > Another Steam User Record
34. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 18:52 killer_roach
Krovven wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 18:18:
I don't get what you are describing. Based on you saying you get randomly logged out all the time...I'd say there is an issue with your connection somewhere between you and the Steam servers. Could be settings at your ISP, could be a faulty modem/router, or could just be a bad node somewhere.

I had it happen for like a day recently... fine now, regardless.

Overall, I'd describe Steam's software quality as "quirky". Very little that's game-breakingly bad (although it's mysteriously deleted a couple of games from my inventory before - sometimes it was doing me a favor, but I contacted Valve when it happened with Portal 2. They got it sorted out in about a week), but quite a few little things that make it feel like something short of a mature piece of software. UI lags, display quirks, and an update system with a proclivity toward locking up the entire application for a few moments... but since most of these mostly get filed under "nuisances", and tend to be experienced by those who are the most disproportionately invested in the platform, these usually get swept under the rug. Not necessarily terrible for the users, but it provides a broken feedback loop for developers.
News Comments > Another Steam User Record
16. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 13:07 killer_roach
Deathbishop wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 12:51:
You can't be a serious competitor when 2/3rds of all game publishers won't even consider selling their game on your platform due to DRM-Free.

I was going to add that in there, but I figured it wasn't necessary - it would either be inferred or someone else would add it.
1613 Comments. 81 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo