Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1462 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 14, 2014, 00:35 killer_roach

NKD wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 15:09:
One day companies will learn that embracing fan projects, not threatening to sue them, is the way to go. Especially for IPs that you've let sit idle.

True.

That being said... Interplay. </reply>

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 14, 2014, 00:34 killer_roach

Cpmartins wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 21:44:
If it wasn't roguelike I'd probably bite it. Never liked the concept, even when it wasn't the buzzword it is today. Looks ok though.

If I really want to play a roguelike, then I'll just play Rogue.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
7. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Oct 11, 2014, 23:40 killer_roach

Task wrote on Oct 11, 2014, 22:18:
Its sort of ironic considering 38 studios game is actually a cult classic now for on the cheap, with a very positive reception. I mean where does that money even go? Former 38 studios or Big Huge Games and EA?

Money is probably mostly going to EA, with some going to the state of Rhode Island.

Really what happened was one governor approved the deal, another governor took office, and wanted to be rid of the deal as quickly as possible. Moral of the story is that government is a less than trustworthy business partner who can make or break you at their whim.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p
16. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p Oct 9, 2014, 21:06 killer_roach

PropheT wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 20:54:
JeffD wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 18:56:
FF13 is far from being one of the worst FF games. I found it quite enjoyable and I liked the fighting style more then I probably should. IMO micromanaging 5+ classes is just tedious.

I don't think it's far from being one of the worst; I think it's easily THE worst, hands down.

The story isn't particularly good and really goes nowhere (I really don't remember 99% of it even though I finished the game). The characters are either flat or completely unlikable. The first half of the game is dominated by a Press A to Win design, while the latter half is mired in the terrible paradigm system making even random encounters a chore.

I honestly cannot possibly comprehend how managing the paradigm system is preferable by anyone to multiple classes in any way, shape, or form. You're still dealing with that in a certain respect anyway, because of the strengths and weaknesses of your party making certain paradigms more desirable for that character.

The game gets a lot of hate, but this is one case where I think it actually gets less than it deserves.

Honestly, I liked it better than VII. That being said, VII might be my least-favorite game in the series. Still, XIII remains one of the worst games in the franchise outside of the NES games (which, honestly... all pretty much sucked from the perspective of contemporary gaming), though.

News Comments > METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES w/4K Support in December
7. Re: METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES w/4K Support in December Oct 6, 2014, 21:30 killer_roach

Slick wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 20:49:
i don't always pirate, but when i do i prefer to pirate a single $30 shareware map.

kojima wanted to bump up their numbers for this quarter? felt like trying out "pre-DLC"? nothing makes sense, i'm sad that anyone paid for this garbage.

you know i hear valve ripped out the first level from HL3 and are hocking it for $30. can you imagine the audacity? not even the almighty valve could get away with that shit, what makes kojima think different?

Considering that people have beaten HL2 in less time than it takes the average person to play through this "shareware"...

Also, I doubt the PC release will be $30. More than likely it will adopt the $20 price point the PS3 and 360 versions already occupy.

News Comments > METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES w/4K Support in December
2. Re: METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES w/4K Support in December Oct 6, 2014, 19:21 killer_roach

PHJF wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 19:13:
The only logical conclusion is that Phantom Pain will be coming to PC, which is... rather shocking.

I would consider it pretty close to a done deal at this point. Kojima's FOX Engine was built around PC architecture, and the Metal Gear series has occasionally flirted with Windows from time to time... with Rising and now Ground Zeroes coming as reasonably contemporary releases, one could assume that Phantom Pain will hit PC as well.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Xbone in Japan Oct 4, 2014, 00:13 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 23:22:
The Xbox did not fail in Japan, is not continuing to fail in Japan, because people here don't want to buy a product from a foreign company. It is failing because of something intrinsic to the product in question - something that simply doesn't appeal to Japanese consumers.

It's failing, and try to stay with me here, because... it's a giant piece of underpowered shit.

Beyond that, what "success" Microsoft had in Japan with the 360 may have tainted the brand over there. Since their big set piece in Japan was a lot of independently-developed Japanese titles that tended to look more like doujin projects than anything, the reputation was that the Xbox was the console that the creepy otaku bought (even bigger titles like IDOLM@STER didn't exactly change this reputation). As a result, it's not a huge surprise that mainstream gamers there aren't buying the One, and the people who bought a 360 still don't have any content yet that really is geared to them.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Delayed
5. Re: Pillars of Eternity Delayed Oct 2, 2014, 20:07 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 19:13:
Obsidian is behind schedule. Gee...what a surprise.

Considering what happens when they try to hit an imposed deadline... I'm fine with a delay. (Alpha Protocol, Fallout New Vegas, and KotOR 2 all say hi.)

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 1, 2014, 22:23 killer_roach

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 20:17:
It stands for Queer or Questioning depending on who you ask. It's supposed to represent people who are still determining their orientation as I understand it. I work for an organisation that represents post-secondary unions so I've heard a lot about it. Additionally, there is I which stands for Intersex and 2S which stands for "two spirited", which I haven't gotten a concrete explanation on but apparently it has something to do with Native culture. It can become a very long acronym.

It also depends on the acronym used. Typically in LGBTQ the Q refers to Questioning, although the acronym LGBTIQ usually means Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered, Intersex, and Queer.

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 27, 2014, 19:06 killer_roach

Strange preorder bonus for Forza Horizon 2 - a car where they put the engine from the Audi A8 and shoehorn it into a mid-size station wagon.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 26, 2014, 11:53 killer_roach

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 19:04:
Remastering games that are less than a year old seems like an odd move.. are they gonna "remaster" the pc version too?

More than likely the "remaster" just gives them the visual content the PC version has had since launch.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 26, 2014, 11:51 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Sep 26, 2014, 09:06:
Inspired by great games like The Banner Saga, FTL and XCOM.

Do those three actually have anything in common, combat-wise? "Our combat system was inspired by Zaxxon, Mario Kart and Farmville!"

Looks like they are taking the combat largely from XCOM, the management largely from FTL, and the game engine from The Banner Saga (Stoic has said they're supporting the project).

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Sep 23, 2014, 20:49 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2014, 20:12:
Has KRZ put forth any new content at all? Or have they basically taken the money and run as well?

Act III came out in May, although new content hasn't exactly been quick to come out (we're now over a year and a half since the release of Act I).

News Comments > Free Tropico 3
2. Re: Free Tropico 3 Sep 23, 2014, 00:16 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Sep 22, 2014, 21:11:
Thanks HB! Bought Banished, Monster Loves You, Outlast, and South Park this sale too.

My haul from this sale was South Park, AoW Shadow Magic, Castle of Illusion, and Our Darker Purpose. Not bad for about $30 all told.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
6. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 20, 2014, 18:57 killer_roach

ForgedReality wrote on Sep 20, 2014, 15:46:
Why the fuck does Amazon keep making Kindles anyway? Half the apps in the store don't even work properly on Kindles for whatever reason. You ever read app reviews? Most of the people complaining that it doesn't work are like "FIX UR FKN APP!!!!!!!!!1111111 IT DUZNT EVN WERK! -kindle fire"

Rarely had issues on my HDX, although yeah - there's a lot of apps anymore that will simply swamp the first-gen Kindle Fire as well as the 2012 Kindle Fire HD, which were pretty hopeless even when they launched, much less now. At the very least there should be some more guidance on that, although even the Fire 6 and Fire 7 models just released should be good on most content for some time.

News Comments > New GeForce GPUs & Drivers
56. Re: New GeForce GPUs & Drivers Sep 19, 2014, 19:49 killer_roach

harlock wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 19:19:
LittleMe wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 19:07:
Just got two 970 oc's at MicroCenter! Eff yah The 680 lasted me two and a half years.

still on a 560ti.. im needing one of these now, but i want it to stretch another 2-3 years as well

Yeah, still on a 560Ti here as well, although the 970 is definitely making me consider an upgrade. Might wait a bit first, though.

News Comments > New GeForce GPUs & Drivers
52. Re: New GeForce GTX 980 & 970 GPUs & Drivers Sep 19, 2014, 19:06 killer_roach

ForgedReality wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 16:28:
Jamil20 wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 16:24:
So hard to decide if I should upgrade from a 770 to a 970. The performance increase is okay, but the TDP sweetens the deal. 230W->145W

If I were you, I'd wait until probably next year for the 20nm refresh. Hell, I've waited all this time with a 580, and it's definitely time, but a 770? You'll hardly notice.

More often than not Nvidia has launched new processes on smaller die GPUs. If we see, say, the 940 move to 20nm, then we can talk about a 980 on 20nm. Until then, I wouldn't be too worried.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
22. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 16, 2014, 20:49 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 12:01:
Dipshits.

Amazon has every right to refuse to sell consumer goods in response to a pricing disagreement with a wholesaler. We all appreciate discounted razor blades and cheaper shoes. But books are not consumer goods.

"It's a fine tactic for every product, except ours! Ours has to be sold for way higher prices, because, well, it's ours!"

You hear a similar form of the same argument all the time for education and health care - basically you can't put a price tag on something that enriches the quality of your life in the way these services can, therefore you must pay us what we tell you we're worth.

...needless to say, it doesn't work very well there, either.

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 15, 2014, 21:32 killer_roach

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 20:28:
“Now, if you have a Chromecast stick or a Roku box, you can. So why do we buy consoles? I mean, your phone will be powerful enough to power any game in two more generations. And, so, why buy a console? I think Microsoft actually knows that.”

That guy has got to be fucking kidding big time. Yup. A phone will render games as fast as a console in 1080p in two more generations. Totally gonna happen. Hey. Another couple generations and the phone is gonna swoosh by in the left lane and enable everyone to play at 4K@60Hz.

What a fucking n00b, man.

The GPU that is going to be used in the Nexus 9 tablet is actually about as powerful as what was used in the PS3 and Xbox 360, and has more RAM at its disposal. It's not unheard of that mobile devices will be capable of "good enough" console-quality gaming, even at 1080p, in the very near future. While I can't say that it will necessarily supplant console or PC gaming, to say that we will see mobile devices capable of console-quality gaming experiences is not only something that seems likely in short order, but may already be happening. Publishers are already putting those sorts of long-form game content in the tablet space - and it is something that the likes of Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo have to at least acknowledge and be able to gameplan around.

News Comments > AU Game Price Inflation
11. Re: AU Game Price Inflation Sep 12, 2014, 16:06 killer_roach

InBlack wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 09:52:
Well the exchange rate between the US dollar and the AU dollar is like 1:1.1 so that cant be it....

In terms of nominal exchange rates, yes, but the ratio between purchasing power parity between the US dollar and the Australian dollar is closer to 1:2. What you're seeing is more than likely a combination of the influence of brick-and-mortar retailers trying to pressure publishers to make digital games price-equivalent to their physical counterparts (which have to deal with egregiously expensive shipping costs as well as some of the highest nominal wage rates for unskilled labor in the world) and an attempt to price to what the market will bear (after all, by adjusting for purchasing power and per-capita income it could be inferred that pretty much all AAA titles in Australia could theoretically cost in the ballpark of $115 AU if you were going by equivalency of affordability in America, and, if they were using Eurozone pricing as the model, likely considerably more than that).

1462 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo