Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Fisk

Real Name Mike Fisk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname killer_roach
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 31, 2002, 20:40
Total Comments 1502 (Pro)
User ID 15013

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Closing Maxis?
18. Re: EA Closing Maxis? Mar 4, 2015, 18:35 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 17:22:
"Why do people hate us so much?"

-clueless EA dipshit execs.

Another once great studio ruined and then murdered by EA. Well done, fellas.

To quote RHPS:

"Now, now, don't be like that... it was a mercy killing!"

It's a loss from the nostalgia perspective, but let's be honest - the studio hadn't done much of value lately and most of the principals from their glory days are long gone.

Turn out the lights, party's over.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > how do you Do It?
19. Re: how do you Do It? Feb 28, 2015, 23:50 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 23:04:
Or worse, one of our congressmen who think you can swallow a pill to get a vaginal exam. The stupid, it hurts.

Or worse, someone who confuses a state representative with a Congressman.

...the stupid, it hurts indeed.

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. Feb 28, 2015, 00:59 killer_roach

jimnms wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 00:46:
I'd kill for these on GOG, and a NOLF3. My original NOLF disks are still on my dusty game shelf that hasn't been touched since, well, Steam, but I can't find my NOLF2 disks.

I know GOG was trying to untangle the ownership rights to NOLF a couple of years ago, ultimately determining that nobody knows who owns what related to it anymore.

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed Feb 27, 2015, 13:32 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 12:41:
I was surprised at how civil the comments were at Kotaku.

Most of the people that disagree either have left, get shouted down, or have their comments disappear.

Come on, it's a Gawker blog. Nobody goes there for intellectual diversity, intellectual honesty... or intellect, for that matter.

News Comments > FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband
19. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 26, 2015, 19:32 killer_roach

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 19:25:
killer_roach wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 19:11:
Simply put, telecommunications, like most other areas of the American economy, was never remotely an open market, despite industry defenders vociferously claiming the contrary. The FCC merely closed the circle with these decisions, resulting in a de jure, rather than merely de facto, controlled market.

True, but at least now the incumbent providers are recognized for what they are and will be held to a higher standard, i.e. they get to keep their market power, but now they abuse that power at their peril, rather than their pleasure.

What I would really like to see would be some sort of last-mile unbundling proposal becoming law: require incumbents to lease line access for broadband services. Back when dial-up modems were all the rage, i.e. the second half of the 90s, there was a competitive ISP market in the US, for the reason that the medium of transmission, phone lines, were a public utility available to all. When cable internet became the only realistic option for broadband, the competitive ISP market disappeared with dial up modems simply because Cable providers had no requirement to lease access to their infrastructure and a new provider building out their own infrastructure isn't economically feasible.

This vote won't make the US service provider market competitive, but at least now the incumbent service providers don't have free reign to abuse their market power, as they have for the past 10 years or so.

I was advocating for some sort of "Minimum QoS" regulation along with a reform of the FCC's spectrum auction rules to allow for a more dynamic market in wireless broadband. (Fiber optic "backbone" infrastructure I'm not so concerned about the effects of Title II on, beyond possible issues with deployment to new geographic locations which will likely be an impending fight between telecom firms and the FCC should these regulations be upheld.)

News Comments > FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband
11. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 26, 2015, 19:11 killer_roach

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 18:56:
Rattlehead wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 18:42:
Call me cynical, but I don't see anything good from this.

I'll just be charitable and assume you don't know much about net neutrality, Title II common carrier classification, or what the FCC actually voted on today.

It's really quite concerning that there is a segment of the population that will reflexively take the side of organizations as despicable as Comcast, rather than even consider the possibility that, on occasion, there is a need for government to curtail, in some limited fashion, the excessive market power of anti-competitive incumbent corporations for the sake of the public good.

I'm cynical mostly from the perspective that other Title II-regulated entities in this country have been operating at a glacial pace, and that any semblance of "openness" or "competition" that exists is largely illusory - at the end of the day, there's a central provider that everyone taps into, and they have been glacially slow to respond to potential changes in their industries (the landline telephone industry is now effectively crippled, and the power grid remains decades behind the times despite everyone - from regulators to providers to consumers - agreeing that change needs to occur).

The main reason this is an issue, sadly, is from idiocy on two fronts - one was government telecom policy in the first place that supported the creation of effective monopolies (although not necessarily natural monopolies, despite some similarities), and the other was the incontrovertible fact that much of the telecom industry abused their de facto monopoly power (while not as much as many Title II advocates claim, enough to make them massively anti-consumer while remaining in a legally nigh-unassailable position).

Simply put, telecommunications, like most other areas of the American economy, was never remotely an open market, despite industry defenders vociferously claiming the contrary. The FCC merely closed the circle with these decisions, resulting in a de jure, rather than merely de facto, controlled market.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Feb 17, 2015, 20:40 killer_roach

nin wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 19:43:
I grabbed it, too. I know I had one pack (think it was the sonic one), but steam let me register all 5 keys...oh well, it says I own them all now.

edit: And thanks, Blue!

I think the Sonic one might be different from the packs in this bundle - I looked in Steam and it says I have 56 games in my Sega Genesis And Mega Drive Classics list.

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Public Beta
17. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Public Beta Feb 14, 2015, 20:50 killer_roach

descender wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 18:06:
(i7-2600K, 560Ti, 16GB RAM)

One of these things is not like the other... one of these things...

Get a video card man!

The whole rig is pretty old at this point, just one thing has aged less well than the others. Waiting for some stock options to vest, then probably will put a 970 in there instead.

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Public Beta
5. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Public Beta Feb 14, 2015, 13:27 killer_roach

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 13:00:
Can someone comment on the performance? I saw lots of complains on the Steam forum regarding the game runs like a dog.

On my rig (i7-2600K, 560Ti, 16GB RAM) I'm running on Medium settings, 1920x1200, and maybe getting 20FPS.

News Comments > AO Hatred Steam Listing Offers Specs
14. Re: AO Hatred Steam Listing Offers Specs Feb 13, 2015, 15:36 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 14:49:
Steam has no AO games, AFAIK. I wonder if this will be the first, given that it's greenlit.

They don't. I remember there was talk a while back that Manhunt 2 would be offered up there, but I think in the end it only ended up being sold digitally on PC through GamersGate and Direct2Drive.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
17. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 10, 2015, 20:31 killer_roach

ASJD wrote on Feb 9, 2015, 18:32:
Are tablets more powerful than even Xbox 360 yet? It's going to take longer than 3 years, I'd bet my life on it.

Flagship tablets should be at or more powerful than the 360 sometime this year. As for the PS4/XB1... we're probably talking five years, barring the obvious cheat of using streaming technology.

News Comments > Victor Vran This Summer
5. Re: Victor Vran This Summer Feb 6, 2015, 16:21 killer_roach

verybad1 wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 14:33:
Tropico dewelopers you say.

Will there be DLC?

Considering the developers, the more pertinent question will be "how much of a game will there be without DLC?"

News Comments > South Park: The Stick of Truth DLC "Unlikely"
5. Re: South Park: The Stick of Truth DLC Feb 5, 2015, 13:15 killer_roach

ViRGE wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 10:02:
Verno wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 09:51:
Damned shame, by far one of the best games I played last year and one of the few where I actually wanted DLC.
It was a good game. I'm okay with leaving it at that.

At this point enough time has passed that if they really felt like expanding on the story they should consider a sequel rather than DLC. Might be a bit hard to sell a small downloadable scenario (likely, by the time it's done) over a year after the game came out...

News Comments > Into the Black
12. Re: Into the Black Jan 31, 2015, 12:05 killer_roach

Bundy wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 11:43:
Sanderson was great. Jordan clearly had no idea how to finish his own story. The last like, 7 books, he wrote were just meandering, nothing was moving anywhere. Then he dies and Sanderson comes in and wraps everything up. It still took 3 books because there was just so much crap Jordan had created that needed ending, but he just did 1 per year and done.

I became a big Sanderson fan after that, his writing style is just much stronger and he can write a 1000 page epic about 5 times faster than Jordan or Martin.

Leave it to a literature professor to fix somebody else's papers.

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Jan 31, 2015, 00:32 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 21:26:
Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 21:19:
I guess winter isn't coming after all.

Heh.

I think he'll get this one out next year, then never finish the last one, but someone will write it in his stead based on his notes.

He's apparently said he doesn't want anyone finishing the series on his behalf, although he's already given the HBO producers direction on how to proceed through the remainder of the story. (That being said, I remember somebody mentioning that A Song Of Ice And Fire was starting to take on the same sort of feel as the Wheel Of Time novels, at which point I quipped "does that mean we get Brandon Sanderson to finish these ones too?")

News Comments > Apotheon Next Week
3. Re: Apotheon Next Week Jan 30, 2015, 12:15 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 01:04:
Sigh, effing side scrollers. And I was genuinely excited for a second there thinking this would be some gloriously realized 3D Ass Creed style game where you ascend Mount Olympus and challenged the gods themselves. Now that would be effing cool.

Seeing as their last game was a 2D platformer, not a huge surprise that their new one is a 2D platformer. Stick with what you know, and all that (Capsized really was a pretty decent game...).

Seeing the art style, I get this vibe of another recent side-scrolling platformer that used a distinctive regional style of art in its presentation - Guacamelee (also a pretty solid game). Guess we'll see how good Apotheon is when it comes out next week (it's a freebie on PS4 for PS+ users, so I'll be trying it out there).

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Heroes of Might & Magic III HD Edition
8. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Heroes of Might & Magic III HD Edition Jan 29, 2015, 12:53 killer_roach

Honestly, a bit underwhelmed.

A bit of unsolicited advice, Ubi - you've dealt in the past with a studio that does some insanely good 2D graphics in the HD era. Why, then, do you trust one of the most beloved titles in your back catalog to DotEmu rather than, say, Capy?

News Comments > Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered Tomorrow
11. Re: Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered Tomorrow Jan 28, 2015, 23:42 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 22:07:
Really? That's remastered HD? Yeesh I'd hate to see what the original looks like.

It's a pretty ugly game even by 2005 standards, but this "remaster" looks to simply be filtered textures and running at higher resolutions to get rid of the jaggies in the geometry. For an "HD remaster", it's been brutally assaulted with the ugly stick.

News Comments > Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered Tomorrow
1. Re: Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered Tomorrow Jan 28, 2015, 18:30 killer_roach

Dear Quantic Dream -

Not overly interested in a remastered version of Fahrenheit. That being said, if you could see your way to remastering (or having somebody else remaster) Omikron... that might be another story.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 23, 2015, 19:30 killer_roach

PHJF wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 15:58:
Puppeteer is one of the free game options. It's awesome.

Lame I can't take the PS+ time on top of my current sub.

Already had Puppeteer, so I took Rain instead.

I did get five days of PS+ after the holiday outage, but I agree, three months would have been better.

1502 Comments. 76 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo