Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Keilun

Real Name Keilun   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Keilun
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 30, 2002, 00:02
Total Comments 97 (Suspect)
User ID 14964

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Sells 2 Million
49. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 2 Million Sep 13, 2012, 15:52 Keilun

Prez wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 15:30:
Completely off topic but are the original GW servers still running? It occurred to me while reading this thread that I never completed any of the campaigns. I liked the singleplayer friendliness of the game but got tired of seeing people in the hubs dancing like tards and spamming the chat with "WTS" and ferrying offers. I had sucky builds to that made soloing difficult as well, making me quit before completion.

Yeah they're still up. Ever since they added heroes to the game, solo'ing's gotten a lot easier. You can just look up builds on pvxwiki and there's a good chunk of builds for heroes. You can create a nice 8 man party with you and your 7 heroes and then go complete it.

That said, I still wouldn't bother with the original Guild Wars campaign. God it was painfully boring and then you'll hit a brick wall at one point needing a run thru to get "ascended" or whatever they called it.

Factions and Nightfall were fun though. I got distracted before I could make any real headway into EotN.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ubisoft Scrapping Always on DRM
43. Re: Ubisoft Scrapping Always on DRM Sep 5, 2012, 15:30 Keilun

From the article:

Whenever you want to reach any online service, multiplayer, you will have to be connected, and obviously for online games you will also need to be online to play.

Call me the skeptic, but seriously this reads to me as a play on words. Using the right words to denounce always-on DRM, but really in effect still leave it in play. HoMM 6 and Anno 2070 have clearly added specific gameplay revolving around this "online" component. If you're not online, you miss out on progression within those gameplay elements and any features they provided.

None of the online elements in HoMM 6's conflux were necessary, yet they were tied to their Uplay service to create a perceived value. This is really the same debate as the always-on DRM on Diablo III, except with a much shittier implementation/integration..

Within the lines of the above quote, I'm sure it won't be long before they start offering more and more of core gameplay elements as "online" elements requiring a connection.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record
1. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 25, 2012, 16:53 Keilun

The summary here is a bit confusing. To clarify:

1. Stardock anticipated the release of Sins on Steam to cannibalize their direct sales through the Stardock store and Impulse. They expected Steam sales to share the same digital "pie" that their own sales and Impulse shared.

2. Instead, Stardock found that their direct digital sales and Impulse sales were largely the same. This one's a bit ambiguous in their announcement.

3. Their Sins Steam sales eclipsed their retail sales.

4. (And most importantly!!) As a result, Stardock plans to bring Elemental and The Political Machine to Steam.

I've always wanted to try Elemental, not that Steam really factors into this decision. I'm more inclined to support Stardock directly by buying direct from them. That said, seeing more sales through Steam only means good things for Stardock and hopefully that translates to more resources into better games. Elemental's initial release was marred by issues.

News Comments > More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions
10. Re: More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 22, 2012, 14:23 Keilun

XP-Cagey wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 12:35:
InBlack wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 11:05:
I thought you could start the game at full character level and with all the items??

Can someone clarify this issue for me at this point?? What exactly is listed in the store??

You can roll a max level PvP character with gear, just like the Original Guild wars. PvE characters must level themselves, just like the original Guild Wars.

Actually from what I've read I don't believe that's the case. In GW2, as far as I can tell there is only a single character type (no more PvP only characters). When you enter a PvP zone, your skills are all brought up to the same level so you're all competing on a level field (gear and skills are unlocked). This would seemingly absolve the need to create a PvP-only character that existed in GW1.

I don't have any exact quotes that say definitively that PvP only characters are available or not, but the sources below seem to indicate otherwise. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Sources:
http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/pvp/pvp-overview/
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World

News Comments > On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions
39. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 21, 2012, 14:17 Keilun

Alamar wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 12:33:
Your post screams naivety to me... So I may be misunderstanding, but it seems like you're saying WoW can be grindy, but GW2 isn't going to be because you earn gold while playing?

If the costs in GW2 take a day or two each, that might seem reasonable, but once you have to play, at max level, for a week (or play the AH), to buy one measely little item/buff/whatever, that's a whole different thing.

Also, this is the exact style of 'microtransactions' that has made mobile games so much money... You can play and play and play and unlock things as you go, or just pull out some cash and get it NOW... I personally like that the choice is there, but the counter-argument is that the game is purposefully slowed to 'make' people buy the currency instead...

-Alamar

Maybe I didn't explain myself as well as I could have. My point is that, if you earn gold while having fun going about regular in-game activities, is it really a grind? In WoW, those activities tended to be repetitive and consequently boring: daily quests, daily dungeons/bg, etc.

I guess if you're one of those people that absolutely must have everything the very instant you start, then I can see that you might start to feel like the only reason you're playing the game is to earn gold.

However as you say item costs may possibly be artificially inflated to compel people to purchase in game currency. That may or may not be the case and speculating on it is rather silly at this point. I don't see much point in getting all riled up over something that we have no facts on yet.

I feel like with everything that ArenaNet has been talking about, I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt to not manipulate costs. We'll see. However jumping straight to the conclusion of GW2 being grindy and no fun is a bit harsh and hasty, IMO.

13. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 21, 2012, 11:58 Keilun

InBlack wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 11:16:
But they are still using the F2P model...

LoL guys, did any of you really, REALLY believe that they can keep an MMO the size and scope of GW2 running on the initial purchase price alone?? Well in theory maybe they could. Apparently it worked for GW1. Afaik the first was basically a slightly more expanded version of Diablo2. This second one is supposed to be a persistent world MMO right??

Its Microstransactions all the way to the bank for Arenanet. I dont understand the nerdrage, they gotta make the money somehow...

It's not exactly nerdrage. We're just correcting your usage of the term F2P. I'm perfectly fine with this approach. F2P is literally that, no cost to play. Games that follow the F2P model are League of Legends. You don't have to buy the game to play it.

GW2 is using the one-time purchase supplemented with microtransaction model. If you didn't have to purchase it up front, then yes it'd be the F2P model, but it isn't, so it's a regular game purchasing model with microtransactions which is basically how GW1 was and I thought it worked quite well. I'm fairly confident it will work well in GW2 too.

8. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 21, 2012, 10:49 Keilun

InBlack wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:47:
Yakubs wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:45:
InBlack wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:42:
Well its a F2P MMO what the hell did people expect?? No Grind at all?? Or maybe no Pay2Win??? Dream on...

It's most certainly not F2P.

So it has a monthly subscription?? I read that the game will be a one time purchase and that they will finance the persistent world with microstransactions.

It's an MMO without a monthly subscription. That is different from F2P. You still have to buy the game.

7. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 21, 2012, 10:48 Keilun

wusel wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:22:
Item shop unlocks are for "account services and on time-saving convenience". To generate a demand for "time-saving convenience"-items, Anet must have left inconvenient game mechanics in the game ..so much for the promise of "no grind, just fun".

That statement there is a bit of a leap. Inconvenient game mechanics doesn't exclude fun. Most game activities generate gold naturally (eg. quests). So unless you tend to play your games by computing how to maximize gold gain, rather than you know enjoying yourself, then it's not exactly a grind. Or rather, it's only a grind if you make it one. Yes some games can create grinds (a la WoW or Lineage), but I'm inclined to at least give ArenaNet the benefit of the doubt that they've added enough variety through their personal stories and dynamic events that the game itself will stay fresh.

2. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 21, 2012, 10:21 Keilun

Presumably there will be more use for gold than just repairs. We just don't know what it is yet. I assume having an influx of gold early on would help accelerate certain elements of gameplay like mounts, storage, etc.  

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears
41. Re: Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears Feb 24, 2012, 14:20 Keilun

Cutter wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 13:02:
I find it funny that some people have no problem with Blizzards always on DRM but never fail to castigate Ubisoft for it - and they've actually started backing away from it.

That would be because if you compare the uptime, Ubisoft is terrible. If you're going to put in DRM, at least let it work for your paying customers. I can't count the number of times that I simply couldn't play Splinter Cell Conviction or Settlers 7 due to their server downtime. And I'm not just talking about ANNOUNCED server downtime either... I recall I was locked out of Splinter Cell Conviction MP for 2-3 weeks at one point - unannounced.

Compare that to Blizzard's online track record... Yeah. Sure they had launch problems with WoW. That's an MMO though. So we only have SC2 to draw comparisons for and I have yet to have an issue with Bnet.

I'm not a fan of the always-on DRM, but so long as it's out of the way and adds some sort of visible benefit (it can be minute too) beyond just straight DRM, then I'm fine with it. I know a lot of people here who post aren't. To each his own.

But really let's not try and compare Ubisoft and Blizzard online DRM/services. The comparison is laughable.

News Comments > Civilization V Gods & Kings DLC This Spring
5. Re: Civilization V Gods & Kings DLC This Spring Feb 16, 2012, 11:06 Keilun

justice7 wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 10:43:
Multiplayer Combat Animations need to make an appearance.

They confirmed in the forums that this is on the way. No ETA, but presumably next patch.

They also need to add diplomacy AI in MP the same way it is in SP as well. MP vs AI is my only game mode, so right now the game's just collecting dust.

News Comments > Diablo III Systems Changes
23. Re: Diablo III Systems Changes Jan 19, 2012, 15:21 Keilun

Cyant wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 14:23:
Why would they completely remove the scrolls to do it instantly if they didn't plan to sell instant identification scolls on the market. Now you will need to right click and wait on every new items, sounds like a great way to waste time...

Only yellows (rares) and up had to be identified. And since they were indeed rare, you had this pile of accumulating scrolls of identify from bookcases that were more or less unused. It's a good change to remove them.

Keeping the unidentified item concept is still a bit dubious at this point, but their article indicates that when you have an unidentified item, you just right click on it and it starts a cast timer to identify it. No big deal either way. For sure the sky isn't falling - they're not trying to monetize item identification...

News Comments > Blizzard Introduces BattleTags
17. Re: Blizzard Introduces BattleTags Dec 16, 2011, 14:41 Keilun

Verno wrote on Dec 16, 2011, 12:04:
Ok I just played with it and it generates a 4 digit code to differentiate you from other players. Just what the doctor ordered, another dumb PIN number to remember. This is the company that does usability so well?

"This seems really stupid" posted Verno #9917

I think the idea is that in game the 4-digit pin would be masked. You would just right click on the name in chat and it would already have all the info. So not completely unusable in game, but outside of the game, definitely a pain.

Still, it's a really weird way of going about things... and feels like a rather pointless feature.

News Comments > PC Dungeon Defenders Sells 200K
12. Re: PC Dungeon Defenders Sells 200K Nov 3, 2011, 10:43 Keilun

rist3903 wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 10:17:
They already released a special event on the PC. Halloween Spooktacular. It added 8 costumes, a new mission and new weapons. PC is still getting lots of love. So don't take the special event for consoles as a dick move towards the PC. If anything, PC gets more love than any other platform right now.

Okay perhaps that was a bit hasty on my part. Instead of what I originally thought it to be, it is merely a terribly misguided press release. They ought to decouple:

game doing quite well amongst people in group A.

As a result, we are giving perks to people in groups B and C.

because if you put those together, it totally sounds like a dick move. Even if it isn't.

Agreed. It's a poorly worded press release. I'm still unsure of whether or not these weekly community events will be console exclusive. Some of the things Trendy does, while great, doesn't make much sense. Offering exclusives to the various platforms and creating all that fragmentation doesn't seem like a good thing to me.

Either way that's their problem. As long as they keep up the great work on PC, I'll be happy. And I am right now. Great game. I'd recommend it, especially at the $14.99 price point.

News Comments > PC Dungeon Defenders Sells 200K
10. Re: PC Dungeon Defenders Sells 200K Nov 3, 2011, 09:48 Keilun

rist3903 wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 07:14:
So it sells really well on the PC, not so much on the consoles, and because of this they will have special events on the PS3 and 360?

Dick move!

They already released a special event on the PC. Halloween Spooktacular. It added 8 costumes, a new mission and new weapons. PC is still getting lots of love. So don't take the special event for consoles as a dick move towards the PC. If anything, PC gets more love than any other platform right now.

News Comments > Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview
18. Re: Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview Oct 4, 2011, 17:08 Keilun

Alamar wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 16:42:
Keilun wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 16:40:
Still, I do wish they provided an option to not automate stat allocation...

I feel the opposite, at least to some degree... For these games, I generally don't use my stat/attribute points until I get a drop that requires them... And we're talking ~40 points lying around in some of these games... Now, conversely, it means I can't do this anymore, but instead that each piece of gear is made for each class at a specific lvl... So shouldn't have stat requirements at all (do they?).

-Alamar

No there aren't any stat reqs on gear. Yeah allocating stat points was a chore when that was the case, but now that it isn't, I feel like having control over it would be nice. It'd make it that much harder for them to balance, but when you see the power of the stats, you'll realize how it might have been fun to control that too. Of course that's not for everyone which is why I was mostly wishing for the *option* to do so. But right now, you don't have that choice. I highly doubt they'll change it given the extra balancing it'd require.

News Comments > Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview
15. Re: Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview Oct 4, 2011, 16:40 Keilun

LaxerFL wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 15:47:
Without Skill points/trees I fail to see how this game will have ANY replayability...

Having played it, I originally thought that to be the case too. Then I saw the rune system which is essentially their "skill points" system. Unfortunately the rune system is inaccessible in the current beta so I can only go from what's on the site: (for example here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/barbarian/active/)

There's 5 different rune types. Each one augments your skill differently. Then each rune has levels (higher level drops in higher difficulty). Given that you have a limited number of skills you can select on any outing, the variety exists in your skill choice and rune combinations.

So if you take a look at the Barbarian's Ground Stomp, you have the following variety:

1. Add slow effect.
2. Increase dmg done.
3. Increase fury gained.
4. Increase radius.
5. Add knockback effect.

On seeing that, I felt that there was plenty of customization at that point. The real question is, not having been able to see the runes for myself is whether or not there is true choice in runes, or if there's always a defacto rune that you must always have for that skill.

Still, I do wish they provided an option to not automate stat allocation...

As far as replayability goes, I'd say each of the classes are pretty unique. Especially that Witch Doctor (although at the low levels he feels rather useless). I played all 5 classes through to lvl 10. They were all quite fun. I did start to tire of the opening area, but it was still fresh playing with the new skills and such. But let's face it, most of the draw of Diablo is from the inner loot-whores in all of us.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2011, 15:56 Keilun

Shok wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 11:50:
Why didn't I play longer? That's a good question. You see, the game requires an always-on Internet connection, and the servers seemed to set themselves on fire a few hours after I downloaded the beta, and this dumped me from the game. You not only need to be online to play, you need to connected to Blizzard at all times. So if your connection goes down, or if their servers crash, you can't play. Not even single player. At least this means I can sleep tonight! I know this is a beta and these things are bound to happen, but it's still an ill omen.

sigh...

From ARS hands-on

I got in through the F&F beta. I thought it was a lot of fun, despite the always online requirement. I'd definitely welcome offline play, but there are merits to online play. Less hacks for one and more integrated online play. The whole party system makes the online aspect actually feel a lot more integrated than it did back in the D2 days. So in my eyes, I have mixed feelings about it, but more on the good side given that I don't often play offline. I'm sure there are people who have different expectations and I can understand that, but I for one like the direction D3 is going.

The only downside is yes, they have had server issues. At one point my gf and I lagged out and the only way to exit the game was to ALT-F4. Even the Exit game button wouldn't respond. It was interesting. They've since fixed that I believe, but there's still a noticeable lag in the more intense moments. With the new influx of closed beta testers, we'll get to see the servers stressed even further.

News Comments > Square "Respects the Right of GameStop" to Remove OnLive Coupons
14. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 11:25 Keilun

Tumbler wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 11:15:
Fuck you Square. Fuck anyone that says you can take anything out of a product like this and sell it "new". Removing the contents in any way shape or form at the retail store is despicable. Send the game back or mark it used and sell it at a discount.

How long until gamestop starts pulling steam codes and replacing them with impulse codes?

I think what Square realizes is that they really don't have to do anything. The sheer bad publicity that Gamestop is generating for themselves is enough of a shot across the bow. Whether or not Gamestop wakes up to their own stupidity is another story. Hopefully their customers have. I sure haven't set foot in their stores in over 5 years.

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VI Gamescom Teaser Trailer
11. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI Gamescom Teaser Trailer Aug 10, 2011, 19:09 Keilun

The only thing I know of is that they've removed the pretty town screen that you had in previous HoMMs. There's quite the uproar over that. While that isn't much of a detriment to the gameplay, I suspect it'll impact the immersiveness of the game.

The town screen was replaced with a town window which has a 2D animated view of your town that will update as buildings are added, although not all buildings will have an impact on the town window. Also you won't be able to interact with the town window.

97 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo