Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Keilun

Real Name Keilun   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Keilun
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 30, 2002, 00:02
Total Comments 133 (Novice)
User ID 14964

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Closing Maxis?
6. Re: EA Closing Maxis? Mar 4, 2015, 16:34 Keilun

Well there goes my hope for a proper SimCity sequel this year, not that SimCity 2013 gave me much to hope for going forward.

Hopefully Cities:Skylines can scratch my city building itch.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
42. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 15:30 Keilun

Cutter wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 11:55:
It's black and blue. However, someone pointed out something interesting that it could be people's monitors affecting this - colour temp, viewing angle, etc. However, color blind people will see it as light-bluish white and goldish-brown.

In fact here's a quick color blind test for you all. I scored perfect meaning I'm not colour blind. And when you hover over the colour wheel you can see why colour blind people would see it as such.

Color Blindness Test

I scored perfect on that test too and I see the original image as white and gold and the later image as blue and black. So uh yeah, what does that tell you?

News Comments > Diablo III Microtransactions Coming to Asia
23. Re: Diablo III Microtransactions Coming to Asia Feb 21, 2015, 23:31 Keilun

Redmask wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 20:08:
Keilun wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 11:08:
Too true. I mean look at character transfers in WoW. I'm sure it's a simple automated process that runs now. But they charge $25 per character. I mean really? On top of the subscription and on top of buying the game $25?? I get that they want to put a barrier in there to prevent abuse, but there are other ways to achieve that without lining their pockets, but you know how it goes...

Or perhaps the more ridiculous service charge: Name change service... $10 a pop.

All of that stuff has a design cost, SQL queries don't make themselves. I do agree with you that its way too much money but ultimately they're giving people what they want. If the price was really too high people wouldn't pay it. It makes me sad that people are that lame to pay $25 for a few lines of SQL but that's how it goes. Shit is way worse in the mobile world, Blizzard looks downright saintly by comparison.

I'd be pretty surprised if they hadn't already automated this process from the start. Sure there's a design cost, but isn't that the point of the subscription fee? To maintain the service and add new features. One could easily consider the design cost of these transfers as a new "feature".

Scale it back and consider the name change service. You can't tell me that the "design cost" of that feature was extensive enough to warrant $10 a pop. That one is flat out monetization of a simple service.

Either way the point is, some people are willing to pay it and now it's almost expected/standard practice, which is unfortunate because it really was a big reason for me stopping my WoW subscription. If I was able to still play with active friends, it would have made the boredom of the alt grind a lot more tolerable. So because they wanted to bilk customers out of $25 per transfer (char or faction), they lost a steady subscription. I can't imagine I'm the only one in that position, so you'd think someone in charge would have the business sense to rethink that practice.

20. Re: Diablo III Microtransactions Coming to Asia Feb 21, 2015, 11:08 Keilun

Armengar wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 07:07:
Oh yeah, ive been clamouring to pay more money on top of the full price and expansion costs. No, how about fuck off. Stupid thing is, people will pay it so a precident will be set so the s shit happens by default.

Too true. I mean look at character transfers in WoW. I'm sure it's a simple automated process that runs now. But they charge $25 per character. I mean really? On top of the subscription and on top of buying the game $25?? I get that they want to put a barrier in there to prevent abuse, but there are other ways to achieve that without lining their pockets, but you know how it goes...

Or perhaps the more ridiculous service charge: Name change service... $10 a pop.

That was actually one of the big reasons I stopped playing WoW. Yes I was bored of it, but a large part of that was because my friends started up on another server and most those on my current server had waned on the game. In order to play with my other friends, it would have cost me $50/char (both char and faction transfer) to play with them - and I had 10 characters. Fat chance of that.

We'll see how this goes for D3. I don't have my hopes up. Hopefully this model stays in Asia.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2015, 11:50.

12. Re: Diablo III Microtransactions Coming to Asia Feb 21, 2015, 01:27 Keilun

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 00:07:
Speak for yourself! RNG is RNG. I've been having really shitty luck with my HC 'sader... I'm tough as a motherfucker but my damage is awful. I'm PL50 and only two bad weapons have dropped.

Pretty much this. Last season, it took 170 ish PL levels to get my HC monk to a T3 geared state. I then leveled an HC sader and in the time it took me to go from PL 170 to 175, she was fully geared out and well past my monk in both dmg and toughness. And moreover, all of that gear dropped in a single 3hr play session. RNG is RNG.

News Comments > WoW Patch Next Week
3. Re: WoW Patch Next Week Feb 18, 2015, 10:27 Keilun

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 10:08:
What a stagnant expansion once you hit 100.

Could you elaborate on that?

I was thinking about getting back into this but that statement holds weight since my problem with WoW always tends to be "what now?" once I cap out. I usually entertain myself with alts and some gear farming for a bit but that can only last for so long.

News Comments > New Tron Game Revealed?
17. Re: New Tron Game Revealed? Feb 16, 2015, 22:21 Keilun

Ant wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 22:11:
Ah, I'll have to check it out when bored (too much other stuff to see and do). Too bad no reruns to record. Did it even have a series ending?

Nope, not really, but that only makes you even more angry at Disney for not continuing the show.

16. Re: New Tron Game Revealed? Feb 16, 2015, 22:13 Keilun

ViRGE wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 22:02:
Daft Punk only worked on the movie. The show was by another composer (Joseph Trapanese), though they were obviously going for the same Daft Punk vibe in their score.

Anyhow, Disney continues to have no clue what to do with that channel. Star Wars Rebels is getting the same poor ratings; the only thing holding it up is that it's one big ad for toys and movies.

Ah, Joseph Trapanese also scored the music in the sequel. I had it mixed up. I thought I heard somewhere that there was music leftover from the movies that was brought into the show, but I can't find any references to that, so it's probably my memory playing tricks on my old brain.

I didn't particularly enjoy Tron Legacy, but I'll take more of Tron Uprising any day. And yeah, Disney needs to get a clue...

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2015, 22:18.

14. Re: New Tron Game Revealed? Feb 16, 2015, 22:06 Keilun

Ant wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 21:14:
Keilun wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 20:43:
Cutter wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 19:22:
There's nothing on IMDB except it's in development so don't hold your breath on this one. I did not know there was TRON cartoon. Huh, learn somethin' everyday.

If you're into cartoons, then definitely check it out! The animation/writing/characters/voice acting was all well done. The only unfortunate thing is that it only lasted 1 season. It does take 2-3 episodes before it really gets going though, so bear with it.
Hmm, I only saw its pilot episode. It got better? Do I need to see the movie's sequel to make sense of it? I enjoyed the original movie/film.

Yeah it got a lot better. Pilot episode was meh. Once the characters become more fleshed out, it gets a lot better.

You don't need to see the movie's sequel to make sense of it. The timing of Tron Uprising is between the original and the sequel. They throw in some references to some lore that shows up in the sequel, but it's not critical.

9. Re: New Tron Game Revealed? Feb 16, 2015, 20:43 Keilun

Cutter wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 19:22:
There's nothing on IMDB except it's in development so don't hold your breath on this one. I did not know there was TRON cartoon. Huh, learn somethin' everyday.

If you're into cartoons, then definitely check it out! The animation/writing/characters/voice acting was all well done. The only unfortunate thing is that it only lasted 1 season. It does take 2-3 episodes before it really gets going though, so bear with it.

6. Re: New Tron Game Revealed? Feb 16, 2015, 19:07 Keilun

Fantaz wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 18:18:
Skrillex making music for the new Tron game? *facepalm*

bringing Daft Punk on again would've been a better choice.

+1 to that.

I really enjoyed how Daft Punk played out in both Tron Legacy and Tron Uprising. Shame about Tron Uprising though. I really hope they resurrect that show when/if ever a new Tron movie swings around. Disney really screwed that series over when they moved it to their XD channel. And they wondered why viewership tanked...

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisitions Patch to Fix Awkward Silences
11. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisitions Patch to Fix Awkward Silences Jan 20, 2015, 12:31 Keilun

Creston wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 12:10:
siapnar wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 09:37:
How's the mouse look in this game? My buddy said you have to hold the button down constantly..
Has that changed? Is it really cumbersome/fatiguing?

I was used to it from GW2 so it never bothered me, but it can see how it's annoying to a lot of people. On the flipside, I can also see why a Skyrim type system wouldn't work so well, as you need to be able to click on the main screen without panning. (And all the games that have tried a "click space to switch between panning or clicking" approach really have always felt cumbersome to me.)

So yeah, you do wind up holding that right mouse button an AWFUL lot, and it can definitely cause your arm to hurt.

Yeah the switching can be cumbersome, but at least you have the option to toggle the modes. I'm used to it from GW2 as well, but I could certainly appreciate the option to toggle modes. For those that are fine with it, they can disable the option, but my arm would surely appreciate it.

Tweaked the balance of the Demon Commander in multiplayer mode.

Took them long enough to fix this one. He very closely one shots my Legionnaire with full guard (fully spec'ed into guard) WHILE using shield wall with his one ability that you can't even dodge. At least on Intimidating difficulty and up. It got to the point where the only way to counter this was to anticipate his moves (also difficult to see in dark spaces) and put up my invuln ability.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
7. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 3, 2015, 13:49 Keilun

garrywong wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 11:16:
So I don't get it. Does this mean ISPs now have to do deep inspection of all people's traffic to see if they happen to be downloading something illegally? Or how does this even work? I can't imagine something like this can hold up to the Canadian constitution.

And how does something like this even pass into law in a democratic country without any people having any say in it?

Not at all. The way this works is, the ISP is now required by law to forward any copyright infringement notices that they receive from copyright holders. Previously it was voluntary on the ISP part and they largely ignored it.

Now, they are required to pass the notice on if they are given an IP address from a copyright holder claiming of infringement. They don't have to reveal the customer information, but they are required to:

1. Send their customer a notice indicating a copyright infringment claim.
2. Keep that letter of notice for a period of 6 months (in case the holder does decide to sue).

That's it really. It passed into law because we have a majority Conservative govt. They can pass everything they want. This just doesn't get as much press these days for whatever reason.

In any case, if the copyright holder does decide to sue, they still have to keep in mind that there is a limit per infringement of $5000 (for personal use) and $20000 (for commercial gain), so it still might not be worth their while to sue, should everyone decide to take it to court and cause enough legal fees to deter them. But hey maybe they'll see it as a worthwhile investment on their part.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Collector's Editions; Trailer
2. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Collector's Editions; Trailer Jul 30, 2014, 15:56 Keilun

Not that I care much about the franchise, but I'm assuming the taking of the nuclear reactors and the crippling of governments and military aren't directly related. Rather the chaos, terror and battles that ensued afterwards? Maybe? Kind of stretching it still...

News Comments > New Hearthstone Wing
7. Re: New Hearthstone Wing Jul 30, 2014, 14:42 Keilun

Yeah I'm underwhelmed enough that if I haven't been sitting on a stash of gold large enough to buy each of the wings and then some, I probably wouldn't.

I've only really been playing enough to complete my dailies every 3 days and not spending any gold for the past few months. My thought was that if the game ever grew to add new modes and card expansions that I'd be ready for that. It turned out alright, but everyone can zip through the content in a few hours and then have to wait a week. It feels rather weak. But then again it is free for me, so who am I to complain?

News Comments > New Hearthstone Wing
3. Re: New Hearthstone Wing Jul 30, 2014, 10:50 Keilun

Linksil wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 10:45:
You don't get any cards from harder fights only the class challenges. You do get some golden card or a common for finishing all heroic boss's once all 5 wings are out.

From what I read, finishing all the heroic bosses once all 5 wings are out only rewards you with a special card back.

During beta, they had initially decided to reward a golden version of each card from the normal bosses, but removed that reward close to release. Now golden cards need to be crafted.

I sure hope there's more rewards, but that's all I've gleaned from the forums.

News Comments > Merry Naxxramas
25. Re: Merry Naxxramas Jul 24, 2014, 15:14 Keilun

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 19:46:
The land thing was always one of these things house rules fixed where I played back then.. heh, that's probably now more than 5 years ago... but we never enforced the mulligan rules of tournament. you could reroll all cards with no restrictions if you didn't roll a land or gate, or whatever But only until you had a land. (so yeah, we forced you to start with a deck made of only land if you had THAT kind of luck ,p) Seen that too.. heh

I don't really know why, but in Hearthstone with the low combination counts that a class gives you, you end up feeling like you don't ever really have control or a fully working strategy. I always lack 2 or 3 cards to really build a good synergetic deck (and I don't mean a hunter-wild-animals zoo or warlock murlock of doom). And most of the time my counters to things are only ever turning up in situations where I don't need them (probably because there are so few friggin counters to anything in HS, secrets are such a thing.. argh!) Only 1 counter in HS against secrets or shrouded creatures.. that is just.. nonsense..

This is why every year I hope MTG comes out with a PROPER game for PC where the battles don't feel so archaic and unepic (yes.. it's just cards doing damage numbers to other cards, but HS at least gets *that* right) attacks feel heavy, and spells look cool.

Yeah I hear you on that. Flare is the only card with a real counter secrets and stealth and it's class specific. I guess any AoE is technically a counter to stealth too, but not specifically to the stealth effect but rather to the creature directly. I'm hoping they expand on the range of effects and counters in HS. I think they definitely have a good start. If we looked at MTG in the early days they had their fair share of similar problems.

I'd love MTG to come out with a PC game that was essentially HS's framework with MTG's rich ruleset. Unfortunately I have zero faith in them doing so. They're so set in their ways so as to not cannibalize their current market, that they'll likely never adopt a similar F2P model as HS. The Duels of the Planeswalkers are too limited to let you build the range of decks you could in MTGO. And then MTGO is just plain too expensive. Maybe one day they'll hire someone to shake up that mindset and enter the digital age properly.

Their archaic approach to the digital world isn't even restricted to MTG. WotC's approach to D&D is just as problematic. Don't want to squander our D&D book market so we'll refrain from releasing our books digitally or you know innovate with tools that can help PCs and DMs on tablets... But I'm getting off topic now. It just frustrates me that they could be doing so much more with their licenses.

23. Re: Merry Naxxramas Jul 23, 2014, 17:12 Keilun

Sorry yeah I know what Dredge is. I just thought all the hate was reserved for land destruction decks. But I did get my fair share of hate from blue control decks too. I didn't mind dredge decks too much. But maybe that's because when they were popular I had lots of graveyard removal/exile combos to counter them.

I think maybe MTG seems less RNG dependent because there are so many different strategies to go with. But I've had my fair share of MTG games where I had zero land in all 6 mulligans. Really going past 2-3 mulligans and you might as well forfeit anyway. I more or less equate that to the RNG of getting all big fatties in your Hearthstone hand or cards that you don't necessarily want to play in your first 3 turns. I'm sure the smaller HS deck/hand size contribute to RNG feeling. I did love making giant decks in MTG though for the added surprise in every game (kind of like singleton decks, but with extra variance). I can only hope Hearthstone looks at adding new game modes along those lines.

21. Re: Merry Naxxramas Jul 23, 2014, 15:09 Keilun

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 12:29:
Oh? And Dredge decks don't make you feel bad?

I thought that title was reserved for land removal decks. I was chewed out enough on MTGO when I ran those puppies. So much hate. And yes I'm a horrible person.

News Comments > WildStar Sabotage Announced
5. Re: WildStar Sabotage Announced Jul 23, 2014, 11:23 Keilun

I've been playing this since closed beta, mostly because my SO is quite enamored with this game, but there was one review that summarized this one quite nicely. Paraphrasing:

If WoW is known for "stay out of the fire", then Wildstar is "stay out of the fire" EXTREME EDITION.

Questing is quite the bore. There is nothing new here. It's just as boring as in vanilla WoW, so much so, that the only way I'm willing to level is through PvP. Even there, I'm wondering if the game has enough to last. There's only 2 BGs (soon to be 3), and even then probably 99% of my matches are in one BG. No one plays Halls of the Bloodsworn. Walatiki Temple is easily the more interesting BG. The sub-50 PvP brackets are so huge that the fights are often quite lopsided even with gear/level normalization.

Oh well, I feel like Wildstar hasn't done enough to separate itself from WoW. TERA had the right combat - but terrible gameplay. Wildstar kinda just has vanilla WoW with improved matchmaking (same as current WoW), with telegraph combat.

I'm hopeful they'll figure something out, but I'm not holding my breath.

133 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo